Oleg's Trading Post (IC)   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 70 posts
Mon 15 Oct 2018
at 20:40
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
[OOC: Assuming that Stormfeather heads out of the trading post after dinner but before dusk.]

The Leveton's provided the adventurers with a decent lunch, taking a break from their activities in the trading post.  But in the afternoon, a delicious smell of roasting meat permeated the fort along with a note of freshly baking bread.  Dinner was served as dusk approached and Oleg stoked the fire pit up as a delicious meal was placed before you.  The Leveton's had left the group alone as they negotiated.  As the items were identified that the group didn't want to keep, Oleg began provided offers for any good you wished to sell.  It was clear that he was offering very special prices for your goods (75% of value) compared to what you were expecting.

Over dinner, Oleg opened up a bit to the group.  In the course of the conversation he mentioned, "Back when I lived in Restov, I once heard a rumor.  I didn't believe it at the time.  Not sure I believe it now.  I heard that there used to be a group of evil priests and monks of some lesser known goddess, a deity of hatred, extortion, and spite, that dwelt on the northern shore of the Tuskwater to the south of here.  I wonder if that were true, if they might still be there and that might explain all the banditry in the area."

Oleg was happy to further discuss the rumor, but it seemed to be nothing more than that.  Just something that he had heard a few years ago, before he even thought of moving to the area.
DM
 GM, 71 posts
Mon 15 Oct 2018
at 20:44
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
After Stormfeather headed out of the fort for the evening, the rest of the party settled in for the nights rest.  Oleg closed the gate of the fort before wishing the rest of you a good night and retiring to his house.

The night was clear and brisk and the stars shown bright in the heavens above, but other than a wolves howl in the distance, it was a quiet night that passed without incident.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 54 posts
Tue 16 Oct 2018
at 13:42
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Chahna wondered if she had heard anything about such a rumor. Where her family originates from is far away in the lands of hundreds of gods. This one sounded like a nasty one and made a mental note of it.

"So, Tomorrow after we go fetch our elven friend, what will be our plan of action?" She asked "I would like to look into this Bokken figure. We should spend some of that money on healing potions of we can."

OOC:
16:38, Today: Chahna Drazzi rolled 23 using 1d20+6 ((17)). Knowledge: Local on the Rumor.
Kendra Winters
 player, 69 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Wed 17 Oct 2018
at 18:32
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"I'm with Chahna. We should explore and map out the area immediately surrounding the trading post."


OOC: Next course of action is to explore 1 space surrounding the trading post
DM
 GM, 73 posts
Thu 18 Oct 2018
at 14:39
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
2nd of Pharast, After Day Break ---

After a good night's rest, the sounds of work in the trading post yard could be heard.  In the courtyard, Oleg added wood to the fire in the fire pit and stoked and then carried more into his home.  The smell of baking bread permeated the fort.  Svetlana brought hot tea and milk out to the tables in the courtyard.  Soon the stronger smell of cooking bacon spread over the trading post.  Oleg opened the gate to the fort and shortly after Stormfeather and his horse were visible some distance from the fort.  A half-elf accompanied him.  The middle aged half-elf approached the fort while Stormfeather waved and headed back the direction from which he came.  The half-elf was dressed in leathers and wore a full pack and a bandoleer of furs.  A smile split Oleg's face as he took a break from chopping wood and called out, "Corman, you old dog!  I wondered when you would arrive.  I see you met Stormfeather out there and luckily no worse for wear it seems.  Come on and get some tea to warm your bones.  Svetlana will have breakfast ready soon."

The newcomer looked to the strangers in the courtyard and said, "I guess Stormfeather didn't come alone.  Better for it.  Your friend said he would meet you in the wild once you were done here and ready to head out."  He unencumbered himself and sat down at one of the tables, pouring himself some tea.

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:43, Thu 18 Oct 2018.

Kendra Winters
 player, 70 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Thu 18 Oct 2018
at 17:06
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Guess the elf feels better in the wilds than being in here." Kendra chuckled. She introduced herself to Corman, "So what brings you here? Sounds like you and Oleg has some history. We're looking to explore these lands. What can you tell us?"
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 55 posts
Thu 18 Oct 2018
at 20:07
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Mister Feathers!" Chahna greeted Stormfeather enthusiastically, waving her hand way up in the air to try and grab his attention.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:52, Mon 22 Oct 2018.

DM
 GM, 75 posts
Mon 22 Oct 2018
at 17:39
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
The newcomer turned to Kendra and said, "Ah, just bringing my skins and furs and in and restocking before heading back out to the woods, Miss.  And yes, I've been trading with Oleg since he sat up his post here.  More convenient than a trip to Nivakta's Crossing every time I need to sell my goods."

He drank some of the hot tea. "That warms my bones, it does," he continued.  "What would you like to know?  I've been working this area for a while.  Most of the trappers work the Narlmarches, the big wood to the west and south of here.  Watch out for kobolds.  They've been known to harry some of the hunters and trappers.  To the north east of the wood there is an area that some say is haunted.  Odd things happen in that neck of the woods."

Svetlana arrived and greeting Corman and brought him some breakfast, which he began to consume with abandon.
Kendra Winters
 player, 72 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Mon 22 Oct 2018
at 18:28
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"How is the bandit activity?" Kendra asked as she eat some breakfast. "We fought off four bandits that was harassing the Levetons. But we fear that there may be more of them. Any hints or trail signs of where they're camp is located?"
Stormfeather
 player, 56 posts
 HP: 6 of 12
 AC: 14 / Fo +5 Re +5 Wi 0
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 06:37
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather turned his horse to the right, and started a distant perimeter search around the old keep, moving from treeline to treeline when possible, searching for potential threats that could fall upon the keep, hoping the combined senses of his and his horse would forewarn him of danger.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 57 posts
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 20:40
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Sahela let out a heavy sigh when Stormfeather oh so rudely decided to just ride about instead of rejoining the group.

"I don't get it... What is wrong with that man?"

DM
 GM, 76 posts
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 21:48
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Corman sipped on his tea and then said, "well, that's four that we won't have to worry about, but I think there are more than that.  I've seen some trail sign, but normally they don't seem to come into the areas that I normally hunt and trap.  Good thing, too, they would likely scare off the game.  From what I hear, other than pestering Oleg, they concentrate more on traders traveling through the area or strike out from the Stolen Lands into the surrounding areas.  If they have a permanent camp, it makes sense it would be on the water somewhere.  Sadly, there's three rivers that cut through the northern part of the Narlmarches, the Thorn, the Skunk, and the Murque.  If there base isn't in the forest, it could be on the Shrike, the Gudrin, or the Little Sellen, or maybe on Tuskwater Lake or Candlemere Lake.  I wish I could point you to them."

Corman seems tired out by stringing together so many words.  The man definitely isn't used to talking this much.  He leans back to relax a bit.
Stormfeather
 player, 57 posts
 HP: 6 of 12
 AC: 14 / Fo +5 Re +5 Wi 0
Thu 25 Oct 2018
at 12:18
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Continuing his circuit around the keep, Stormfeather keeps his gaze outwards, wary for that potential threat he is sure is coming from the rest of the Bandits of the area.
Kendra Winters
 player, 73 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Mon 29 Oct 2018
at 18:57
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Gods know what might be going through that elf's mind. Just be glad that he's on our side." Kendra replied to Chahna. She listened thoughtfully as Corman described the region. There certainly were a lot of rivers and two lakes! "Are these rivers passable on horse or are there fords that are marked out for travelers?"

Kendra will wait for his response before she brought the matter to the three, "I say we explore a little bit of the area today."


Let's go 2 hex to the right. I'm basing this on the Game Map for Group 0
DM
 GM, 77 posts
Mon 29 Oct 2018
at 20:56
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Corman scratches his head.  "There are fords in the rivers at different places.  I suppose horses might be able to swim most of them.  The Thorn is the one I know the best, but I stay north of the river most of the time.  Within the forest there is a fordable area.  I went through that way a couple of years ago on foot.  Once you get out of the forest, farther to the east, there is an old bridge to cross the river.  I've heard there is another fordable location close to where the Thorn runs into the Shrike.  To cross the Shrike, I've heard a Brevian built a bridge over it to the south east and it can be crossed there, but he charges a toll.  From what I've heard about the Shrike, that's likely money well spent.  Anything to the south of that, I wouldn't know about.  Do be careful out there."  Corman finished.  The trapper turned back to his food after wishing you well.
DM
 GM, 81 posts
Tue 30 Oct 2018
at 21:52
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
With the information you have gathered, the three of you set out from the trading post on your horses, traveling to the south east.  You are soon joined by Stormfeather who was riding a circuit around the trading post.  You stay to the south of the South Rostland Road and explore the area of plains finding for the most part what looks to be fertile grasslands with the first shoots just now making their way through the soil.  There a few copses of trees to be found, mostly with evergreens.  The landscape consists of gently rolling plains.

You smell that you may have found something of interest before you spot it.  An odd blend of odors greets you, some of them not wholly pleasant.  As you crest a small rise, you see ahead of you a simply hut.  Smoke can be seen coming from the hut as well as from a work area in front of the structure where a few tables have been set up.  An old man can be seen moving around the tables, his attention obviously focused intently on his work.
Kendra Winters
 player, 78 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Wed 31 Oct 2018
at 21:31
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Look. A homesteader." Kendra nudged his horse forward. She kept a watchful eye as she scan the immediate area. "Good day to you. I hope everything is going well. You're the first homesteader in the area. Do you know how many others have made their homes in the region?"

"We've come from the trading post."

DM
 GM, 84 posts
Thu 1 Nov 2018
at 12:41
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
As your horses crest the hill, the old man takes note of your approach.  You can see that grabs a vial from a pouch at his belt and holds it at the ready, but other than that he simply watches carefully as you close with him.  Getting closer, you can see that he is eyeing you with some suspicion, but as you call your greeting he seems to relax somewhat.  He is dressed in a mixture of worn wool clothing and furs.  His hair is long as is his scraggly beard, and both are grey throughout.  His movements still seem fidgety and quick.  In response to your greeting and question, he replies, "Good day..., good day..., I suppose it is.  New visitors but not bandits.  At least, seemingly... not bandits."  He raises an questioning eyebrow. "No, must not be, except maybe that one..." the old man says as he points at Stormfeather.  "That one has the look."

The old man's eyes scan the horizon and he looks for a moment as if he has forgotten that you are there, but then his answer continues, "Old Bokken doesn't know many others at all.  Not many choose to live in the Stolen Lands.  Certainly not to make there home here.  The trappers come and go.  The bandits come and go.  Old Bokken stays.  And now Oleg and Svetlana.  You came from there.  You know them..."  He cracks a bit of a crazed smile revealing stained teeth.  The old man still holds a vial in his hand as he speaks.  You can see on his workbenches containers of various ingredients, several mortar and pestles, and several small ovens.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 61 posts
Thu 1 Nov 2018
at 23:04
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Ah, So you're Bokken! A pleasure to meet you, Good sir!" Chahna bowed her head respectfully at the man "I heard you dealt in potions, yes? I and my companions are planning on taming these lands once and for all, and your skills would prove invaluable."

"I'll be frank, We are in need of healing potions. I hope we could come to an arrangement in a long time agreement of you supplies us in our endeavors?" She smiled expectantly at the old man.
Kendra Winters
 player, 79 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Mon 5 Nov 2018
at 02:56
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Kendra smiled as they discussed the idea of purchasing potions. "Yes, we're staying with the Leveton's for the time being. And as Chahna said, we're here to bring the bandits to heel."
Stormfeather
 player, 59 posts
 HP: 6 of 12
 AC: 14 / Fo +5 Re +5 Wi 0
Mon 5 Nov 2018
at 17:43
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
If Stormfeather took offense to the man's obvious ineptitude at identifying someone, he didn't let it show.  He just sat there, smiling his friendly smile, and focused far more on potential distant threats than the more local senility being displayed.  After all, they did need healing potions, and calling those old bones out would be counter-productive.
DM
 GM, 87 posts
Mon 5 Nov 2018
at 22:39
The Stolen Lands (IC)
"Aye, I'm Bokken, I am." the old man replies, ducking and bobbing his head.  "My name is Bokken and I do make potions, and yes, I do, I do have healing potions for sale.  How many do you need younglings?  I have two right now, but I can make more if you need them.  I just need a few days.  Not many.  Just a few.  But if you want these two, they are only 50 gold apiece.  Very fair.  Only 50 gold each.  Just let old Bokken know."

"By the way, younglings...  If you are going to be searching these lands, there is something you might do for me...  yes, yes, you might be able to...  fang berries...  they make such a good ingredient.  But I don't get them very much.  There is a small local patch, but I go through that so quickly.  But there is a large thicket of them to the southwest of here.  Maybe a little more than 50 miles.  If you happen to be there and could bring me back some of those fang berries...  Well, I would appreciate it.  I would indeed."  Bokken says and then looks surprised at himself for saying all of those words together.  But he shakes his head and quickly gets over the shock of it.

The old man continues, "So, you are Chahna, I take it," he says, indicating Chahna, "what of the rest of you?  What are your names?"
Stormfeather
 player, 60 posts
 HP: 6 of 12
 AC: 14 / Fo +5 Re +5 Wi 0
Wed 7 Nov 2018
at 13:34
The Stolen Lands (IC)
Stormfeather listened, but his eyes were still on the horizon, wary for banditry and ambush as the others partook of this social obligation.  He rubbed the wound on his head a bit, though that was more subconscious than not, quickly lowering his hand as he felt the sensitive pain that shoots through such a fresh wound.  His smile did not leave his face, but it was easy to see that despite the smile, he wasn't really with the group, his focus remaining on not falling to potential threats that could arise.  Truth was, he hated being so out in the open, and yearned to find shadows to meld into.  That was the problem of riding with a group...
Kendra Winters
 player, 80 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Wed 7 Nov 2018
at 15:51
The Stolen Lands (IC)
"Kendra." She answered Bokken. "I'll take one of those healing potions." She counted out several coins and handed them to the man, "Do you only create healing potions or are you able to create others?"
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 62 posts
Thu 8 Nov 2018
at 02:10
The Stolen Lands (IC)
Chahna strokes her chin while she ponders on the price "Bokken I know you can do much better price than fifty. You do see that when we bring these lands to heel the business for you, for everyone, will flourish! With your help, we will rival Absalom with our wealth!" She smiled at the man brightly.

"Give me your best offer, and in return, I will guarantee our continued patronage of your establishment for our potion needs for the future to come."

OOC:
Activating Fast Talk (Su)
04:04, Today: Chahna Drazzi rolled 24 using 1d20+5 ((19)).