Oleg's Trading Post (IC)   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 39 posts
Sun 26 Aug 2018
at 14:57
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
28th of Calistril, Early Afternoon ---

As you travel down the South Rostland Road, in the distance you see a low rise with a structure on it that seems to be just off the road.  As you approach, you see that the structure is an old fort, evidenced by the plants that have grown up the side of some of the walls of the fort.  The trading post is surrounded by a 10 foot high wooden palisade.  At the corners of the palisade are 20 foot tall towers that look to have catapults installed on top of them.  A 30 foot wide gate stands open to allow entrance to the trading post.  The roofs of several structures can be seen inside the old fort.  On one of these a figure can be seen moving about.
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 33 posts
Sun 26 Aug 2018
at 16:12
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Istvan rides to the head of the small column. "Greetings," he shouted to the figure atop the roof, "We bring tidings and reinforcement from Restov! We are here to meet with Oleg!" While he had lance and shield in hand, he did his best to look non-threatening. As he spoke, he scanned the area for any potential threats.


12:12, Today: Istvan Medvyed rolled 8 using 1d20.  Perception.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:56, Sun 26 Aug 2018.

Stormfeather
 player, 23 posts
Sun 26 Aug 2018
at 16:30
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather was quite happy taking up a rear position his mule trodding along, pausing sporadically to eat from bushes forcing him to catch up repeatedly.  Fortunately, Stormfeather weighed far less than most, and his weight was negligible to the beast.  He looked up as they approached the fort, shaking his head at the blockiness of the human construct, and out in the open at that.  Seeing that they were close, he hopped off his mule, ready to duck behind it for cover, a surely needless precaution.  As Istvan made his introduction, Stormfeather  adjusted his backpack, making sure he could move fluidly should he need to.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 27 posts
Sun 26 Aug 2018
at 16:38
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Chahna allowed the young lord Istvan to ride ahead and introduce the group. She was sure the man would make a good impression, being for a Great House and being every bit the handsome knight that his status requires of him, or that is what Chahna thought. Regardless, she placed a hand over her eyes and she peered towards the buildings ahead to see what they were dealing with in hopefully positive manner.

19:28, Today: Chahna Drazzi rolled 20 using 1d20.  Perception.

Kendra Winters
 player, 32 posts
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Sun 26 Aug 2018
at 18:50
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Looks quite promising." Kendra smiled. The fort already had a palisade and towers with catapults. She pointed to one of the towers, "Those catapults are impressive."

It took a while, but Kendra managed to get inside the walls. She had to stand a bit to the side since Istvan was still mounted.
DM
 GM, 40 posts
Sun 26 Aug 2018
at 19:17
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
As you get closer to the fort, you are able to see from the ground that the catapults are relics and not in good repair.  The palisade and the gate, however do seem to be sturdy.  As you get within shouting distance, you can see into the fort itself, through the open gate.  An open courtyard is just inside the gate, some 30 feet wide by 50 feet long.  A horse drawn cart currently sits in the area.  Three buildings can be seen within.  To the left of the courtyard is obviously a stable.  To the right near the back of the fort looks to be the largest structure and from the curtains hung in the windows, it seems to be the home of the occupants.  The man is on the roof of the third building, immediately to the right of the courtyard.  As you approach it becomes clear that he was working on roof repairs.  At the back of the courtyard you see another structure that has a roof covering a fenced area.

The man threw up a hand when Istvan called out to him, but it was unclear if it was in greeting, or a motion meant to wave Istvan away.  It was noncommittal and half-hearted.  The man continues to focus on his work.  However, as you approach the gate, you see a middle-aged woman coming out of the largest building.  She has a warm smile on her face and from the lines there you can see that it is an expression that is no stranger there.
Svetlana Leveton
 NPC, 1 post
Sun 26 Aug 2018
at 19:20
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Welcome, welcome to Oleg's Trading Post!  I am Svetlana, Oleg's wife." the woman called out to the party as she approached.  "I hope your journey has been an easy one.  You come all the way from Restov?"

Svetlana is dressed in clothing very similar to what you had seen in Restov worn by women of similar station.
Kendra Winters
 player, 33 posts
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Sun 26 Aug 2018
at 22:06
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Kendra stepped forward, "Yes, we've come from Restov. I'm Kendra." She looked up at Oleg and gave him a wave. "The mayor sent us here. We've been told that bandits have been a problem in the area. In fact, the mayor gave us a charter to rid the region of bandits."

"Captain Weems reported that they haven't seen any signs of bandits. How are the conditions here?"

Stormfeather
 player, 24 posts
Mon 27 Aug 2018
at 09:21
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
As Stormfeather entered the palisade, he worried a bit.  There was a lot of wood in use here, and it wasn't green wood... it was tinder.  While the gates and walls might hold off wild animals, they would prove to be no barrier at all to any sort of bandits nor troops.  He spent his time looking at the buildings to determine just how easily the place would burn down, what stone constructs were to be found, and where he would strategically place an underground shelter in case of a raid.  He also spent some time looking at the layout of the fort, trying to gauge the size of it over all, and a layout of where the buildings were, so that he could draw it later.  If this was to be a base of operations, he would need to insure it was safe from people like himse... err... safe from bandits.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 28 posts
Mon 27 Aug 2018
at 19:46
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Chahna" The Vudrani woman smiled and bowed her head respectfully as she introduced herself to Sveltana. "I come from as far as the Lake of Mist And Veils myself! Pleased to meet you, Missis Leveton!"

She looked towards Kendra and nodded at the swordswoman. It was good she went into the heart of the current task.
Svetlana Leveton
 NPC, 2 posts
Tue 28 Aug 2018
at 20:02
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Svetlana's smile continued to brighten her face as she clapped her hands and addressed Chahna's comment first, "As far as that.  Are all the women there as beautiful and with such striking features?  Do tell me, my dear."

She simply nodded at Stormfeather as she noticed his knowing glances around the compound.

To Kendra and Istvan's comments, she replied, "Oh dear me, yes.  By the gods, the bandits have been a terror for us.  We are lucky we still have our lives and our home, if you ask me, but if they aren't stopped we certainly won't have a business for long.  They've come for 3 months now and each time have left with the majority of our trade goods for the month.  If the pattern holds, they will come again tomorrow.  So you see, your arrival must be a blessing from Erastil who has heard my prayers!"  Svetlana's happy demeanor seems to fade as if she is remembering the unpleasant visits by the bandits in earlier months, but by the end of her monologue, she has cheered herself again.

"You must be road weary!  Please, take your animals and hitch them by the stables and rest yourselves."  She first indicates the stables and then a set of two tables out in the courtyard which have benches for seating and a low burning fire pit.  "I will be just a minute getting you something to drink and it will take me just a few minutes to add more to the stew for tonight.  Oleg will be down soon to greet you properly."

With that, she gives you another warm smile and disappears through the door into the largest structure.
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 34 posts
Tue 28 Aug 2018
at 22:46
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Istvan dismounted and led his horse to the hitch. He surveyed the trading post, thinking about how best to deal with the coming bandits.

How many entrances does the trading post have, and are there any positions where I could charge people entering the compound but be concealed from the view of anyone approaching from outside?
Stormfeather
 player, 25 posts
Wed 29 Aug 2018
at 09:33
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather raised an eyebrow... tomorrow?!?.  "We need to leave...", he said aloud before he realized it was vocalized rather than thought.  He continued in order to explain, "You can't stop bandits by slapping them in the face... you stop them by striking them in their hearts.  When they arrive, they are at the strongest moment, free of encumbrance, jubilant in their endeavours... don't hit them then.  Hit them when they are leaving, burdened with their ill-gotten gains, as they 'flee' from expected reprisal.  And while we are out there", he stated as he pointed back in the direction they'd arrived from, "We identify where they come from, what sort of backup they have, and prepare to take the fight to their camp.  We hit them on their egress, then hit them harder at home.  Being in here... that gives them not only potential for retreat, but the potential to claim they weren't actually bandits, because we'd be striking at them before the crime, or in pursuit...".  Stormfeather combed his long hair back with his hand as he made his tactical suggestion, already eyeing the walls for a lookout location, and potential ambush location.  He was on a mule, and some of them were on foot.  They weren't going to win a race if the bandits had time to initiate a flight.
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 35 posts
Wed 29 Aug 2018
at 16:00
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
“We’re not leaving,” Istvaan said. “The bandits likely know the terrain better than us, so meeting them out in the open will probably lose us the element of surprise. Going to their camp, now, is out of the question. That is when they are at their strongest. You can go assail prepared defenses in a glorious charge if you like, but I prefer victory. Here’s what we’ll do: the bandits will come tomorrow, expecting nothing unusual. Once they are inside the walls of the trading post, our hosts will close the gates, cutting off their means of escape. Then, we spring an ambush. They will be surprised, trapped, and disoriented. We kill their leaders first, then hopefully the grunts will surrender. Once we have them in custody, we get the location of their camp and then hang them, as stipulated in our charter.” Istvaan gestured over to where his lance hung at his horse’s side. “We can agree on one thing: you can’t stop bandits by slapping them in the face, but a cavalry lance to the chest will certainly do the trick.”
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 29 posts
Wed 29 Aug 2018
at 17:29
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"T-thank you." Chahna tried to suppress a flush, moving a flock of hair behind her ear after being complimented by Svetlana. "I haven't seen much of the world, so it would be unfair for me to pass judgment... but I think we northerners are quite dashing!" She stifled a giggle and smiled.

She was surprised by Stormfeather and Istvan. "Gentlemen, Please, can we at least take a moment to rest and drink before we start plotting the next step. We just got here, after all."
Stormfeather
 player, 26 posts
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 07:53
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather shook his head, "You're thinking like a soldier leading a squadron.  Unless you can take out the entire group of bandits single-handedly, we can't do this like soldiers... we're not soldiers.", as Chahna speaks up, "No, resting would be the worst idea... we need to have a plan, and only have tonight to come up with something more brilliant than 'charge'", he replied to Chahna before continuing.

"I like the idea of closing them in, but how long does it take to close the gate, and how at-risk is the individual closing it during that time?  We're almost certainly going to be out-numbered... no such thing as a bandit group of less than 4... and we have one soldier in our midst.  If we keep the battle here, then we need a plan that puts us at minimal risk.  Closed gate, ranged attacks... confusion.  While I don't mind you taking the risk of charging into the center of a hoard, pretty sure you're the only one doing any charging...".

He then looks towards Kendra and Chahna, "Now's the time to find out what your combat strengths are.  His is charging with a lance it seems.  I'm decent with some ranged combat, like dagger throwing... but not with melee... what about you two?", he asks.
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 36 posts
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 14:16
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
“At least I’m thinking,” shot back Istvaan. “Professional soldier or not, it doesn’t take a genius to conclude that it’s easier to attack an enemy from a prepared position than assail one of their own. We know where and when the bandits—some of them, at least—will be: here, tomorrow. Engaging them then is the only real choice. You can traipse through the Greenbelt looking for their camp if it suits you, I’ll be busy fulfilling the terms of our charter.”
Stormfeather
 player, 27 posts
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 14:39
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather grinned a bit, "Actually... it's easier to defend from a prepared position, not attack... but we can achieve both of our plans, if we wait until they're loaded with things before we attack.  Surely you have to agree that fighting while heavily encumbered tends to muck things up a bit.", he says with a wink.  "Let's wait until they are ready to leave to close the gates... you charge in, and we do our best to offset them further while you clean them out...? "

"I'm assuming these are not the most violent of bandits, given the conditions of this fort, and the fact that its inhabitants are still alive.  Just be aware that they will become quite violent once we've engaged them.  Not just the ones that are here, but their allies on the outside.  You will paint a bullseye on this fort when you engage them.
 We save the fort if we engage them outside, plausible deniability, and all that...
however, preserving the fort might not fit in with your reading of the Charter, I understand that... and will carry my end of the deal as well if you insist on engaging them here.
".  Stormfeather's plan had never been to make it easy on the four of them... it was always to preserve the lives of Oleg and his wife.
DM
 GM, 41 posts
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 16:12
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
A quick glance around the old fort revealed only one visible entrance, the gate through which you had passed.

[See Game Map for Group 1 for a tactical map of Oleg's Trading Post.]
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 30 posts
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 17:26
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Chahna raised her finger as she was going to try and explain her combat abilities, but before she could begin Stormfeather and Istvan were at it. She lowered her hand and sighed heavily, allowing the two men to bicker things out until they were done with this, tapping her feet and looking towards Svetlana with a slightly bemused look, shrugging at her.
Svetlana Leveton
 NPC, 3 posts
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 20:19
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Svetlana returned from the main building carrying a large tray.  She puts a pitcher of beer and a pitcher of water on one of the tables along with 4 tankards.  After she listened to your discussion for a few moments, she wore a worried look on her face.

"I do hope you are able to determine the best way to protect us from these bandits.  I can't say how many will come tomorrow.  Three months ago, it was a dozen.  They seemed to be led by man in a cloak who kept his bow at hand and a horrible woman.  Two months ago, the man with bow returned, but with only six other men.  Last month, the man with the bow returned but had only four men with him.  We are scared for our lives, but if the bandits take another months worth of goods, I fear we will have to abandon our home here." Svetlana said, her cheerful demeanor now broken and revealed for the facade it was.  She was obviously terrified.
Stormfeather
 player, 28 posts
Fri 31 Aug 2018
at 13:04
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather weighed the words of the lady, and seemed less concerned suddenly.  "A leader who can not hold onto his men is doomed to fail.  This man with a bow will have his chapter ended on the morrow shall he appear, but you my lady, should stay out of sight when the alarm is given, we don't need to see you or your husband beset upon during the conflict.".  With such a small number, perhaps the soldiers plan would work, at the very least Stormfeather could keep the men distracted while he rode on the leader with the bow.
Kendra Winters
 player, 34 posts
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Sat 1 Sep 2018
at 03:46
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Kendra smiled at Svetlana, "Thank you." She helped herself to the pitcher of water. She sat and watched the discussion between the two men. She drank most of the water before spitting the rest out. Looking at the others, she caught an eye. "What? Needed to wash the dust of the road out of my mouth."

"How much for the ale and several bowls of whatever your cooking?" Kendra asked Svetlana before she poured herself a tankard. "And I'd like a cot for the night." She counted out the coins.

She took a tentative sip of the ale, "It seems that we're going to have to take care of the bandits here. We can't let Svetlana and her husband Oleg take another months loss. Stormfeather - if we tried to engage them outside the walls, we'll be at a disadvantage. We won't know exactly when they'll strike or know which route they may leave. And if they have horses, we've no chance of catching them." Kendra took a deep drink of ale, "Istvan is the only one on horseback."

"I've a sword and bow. I'm better than most men."
Kendra stated when the discussion turned to their individual capabilities.

"Just to be clear... my thoughts are to ambush the bandits while they are within the walls of the trading post. Once they're outside, they can disperse and some if not all will get away."

"Or is there a better alternate idea?"

Svetlana Leveton
 NPC, 4 posts
Sat 1 Sep 2018
at 15:01
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Svetlana seemed to recover her good cheer as Kendra inquired about the cost of the meal and drink.  "My dear, you are here to help us with these bandits that have been terrorizing us.  You have had a hard day traveling.  The least we can do is offer you a good meal and a place to rest.  Please put your money away for tonight."  She said as she left you to your discussion and stepped back into the large building.  The smell of a meaty stew wafted from the open door.
Oleg Leveton
 NPC, 1 post
Sat 1 Sep 2018
at 15:12
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
The sounds of hammering stopped from the roof of the nearby building and the man who had been working above clambered down the ladder propped against the structure.  The man was dressed in clothing that would not have been out of place in Restov for a tradesman, not the rustic clothing that you might expect from someone on the frontier.  He pauses as he gets to the ground and glares at you for a moment before wandering over.  "I'm Oleg..., Oleg Leveton.  You've met my wife, Svetlana." He's sweaty from his labor even though the temperature of the day is still cool.  He seems to chew on his next word, but finally says, "Welcome...  I'm going to go get cleaned up."

Oleg walked into the largest structure.
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 39 posts
Mon 3 Sep 2018
at 23:04
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"You are kind folk," Istvaan said warmly to Svetlana. "The food smells delicious, I shall be in as soon as it is ready." He turned his attention back to the group. "The bandits seem to have settled into a routine, that makes them vulnerable. I've no doubt they'll be easily broken, so I'm more concerned with preventing their flight. If they're trapped inside the trading post, they'll surrender. Then we can interrogate the survivors and put them to work building gallows."
Kendra Winters
 player, 38 posts
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Mon 3 Sep 2018
at 23:16
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Correct." Kendra agreed with Istvan, "We must prevent their flight. But I don't see how you'll maneuver with your horse and lance from the inside of the trading post. Or was your plan to come through the gates from the outside? We'll have to find a way to send you a signal... I suppose I can shoot a fire arrow. Then you can charge in. But that will mean that you'll be the blockage at the gates."
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 40 posts
Mon 3 Sep 2018
at 23:26
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Istvaan nodded and rubbed his chin. "Let's move that wagon to between the southern wall and the stables. That'll give us more room to maneuver, and I only need ten feet to build up momentum for a charge. I'll hide, mounted, in the stables, and the rest of you can hid in or behind the northern and southwestern buildings. Once the bandits are in the center of the trading post, the Levetons can close the gate, and we'll spring the trap. I'll charge the one who appears to be the leader, if possible, then the rest of us will engage the bandits in the confusion. With any luck, half of them will be dead before the fight has even begun."
Kendra Winters
 player, 40 posts
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Mon 3 Sep 2018
at 23:48
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"That's asking a lot from the Levetons." Kendra turned and watched the Leventons. "I'd be suspicious if one of them were trying to move the gate... Oleg would probably be speaking with the bandits directly or getting whatever they wanted. Same with Svetlana... we need to think this through and see about their safety too."

"One or two of us needs to take out any archers in their group. They'll pose a significant threat. And I the only one with a bow?"

Stormfeather
 player, 30 posts
Tue 4 Sep 2018
at 07:44
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather shakes his head at Kendra's question.  "I can help you take out Archers if there are any, though I won't be using a bow to do it...", Stormfeather replies as he holds out a hand, and a palm sized rock jumps from the ground and lands in it.  Then, without moving his hand at all, the rock is flung into a wall, shattering it and leaving a dent in the wood.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 31 posts
Tue 4 Sep 2018
at 17:41
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Great!" Chahna clasped her hands together "We have a plan coming along nicely!" She beamed enthusiastically.

"I probably could help with archery if I was loaned a bow and arrows, but sadly I did not come prepared with that."
Oleg Leveton
 NPC, 2 posts
Tue 4 Sep 2018
at 22:25
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Oleg returned from the large building that was obviously the Leveton's home with his own mug in hand.  He sat at the table and listened to the planning of the group sent to help with the bandit problem.  He reacted with amazement at Stormfeather's ability but his face bore a look of concern at a comment made by Istvan.  He seemed unsure how he should respond, but finally said, "if you need me to close the gate, I will do my best.  It will certainly make the bandits suspicious but I will do what must be done.  But I insist that Svetlana not be put at risk and if I am cut down, I ask you to please protect her and get her back to Restov, safe and sound."

Oleg tried to put on a brave face, but was clearly terrified by the role proposed for him in the plan.  He took a long drink from his mug.
Svetlana Leveton
 NPC, 5 posts
Tue 4 Sep 2018
at 22:28
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
As her husband spoke, Svetlana had come out of her home with another pitcher of ale.  Her smile faltered again as her husband commented on his demise.  "No, Oleg," she said.  "These fine hero's are not going to allow harm to come to you.  Will you?"  She turned and faced the new comers, a questioning look on her face.
Stormfeather
 player, 31 posts
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 09:53
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"No, I will close the gate if the need is there, that is not for you to do sir...", Stormfeather replied to Oleg.  "Just show me how to close it, and I'll take care of closing it.", he continued as he considered the gate itse to see if he could figure it out himself.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 33 posts
Wed 5 Sep 2018
at 22:04
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"No one will come to a harm, Miss Leveton." Chahna nodded to emphasize her promise "None of us will be dead if we plan well and execute even better."
Svetlana Leveton
 NPC, 6 posts
Thu 6 Sep 2018
at 13:47
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
A look of relief crossed Oleg's face and he took another drink.

Svetlana smiled again, "Thank you.  If the bandits hold true to their previous visits they will ride in with extra pack horses and then they will dismount and load their horses from our storage pen (she pointed indicating building A4).  That's where we keep our trade goods.  In the past a couple of their men did the loading while the others kept watch, including the man with the bow."
DM
 GM, 43 posts
Thu 6 Sep 2018
at 13:48
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
A quick look at the gate reveals that it is a simple affair.  Two tall hinged doors close and can be barred from the inside.
Stormfeather
 player, 32 posts
Thu 6 Sep 2018
at 14:08
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"I'll man the palisade near the gate on the east side, can close the gate from up there, and give ranged support.  I'm afraid I don't have a bow for you Chahna, so likely best if Kendra takes the western palisade.  We can wait for you to start the assault, and give you support for it.", he states towards Istvan as he makes his way over to Svetlana, "Do think I'll grab at some grub and drink, if'n you don't mind ma'am...", he decides aloud, the smell of the stew making his mouth water as he poured himself some water.
Kendra Winters
 player, 43 posts
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Thu 6 Sep 2018
at 16:57
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Kendra handed Chahna her shortbow and quiver of arrows. "Shoot straight." She said in jest. "Alright, we need to move that wagon like Istvan suggested. That will give me some cover to get close to the gate without being seen."

"Where do you think you'll be, Chahna?"



OOC: Given to Chahna...
                                      GOLD    WGT
 Shortbow                             30.0    2.0
   Arrows x20                          1.0    3.0


Chahna Drazzi
 player, 34 posts
Thu 6 Sep 2018
at 17:43
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Oh!" Chahna exclaimed surprisingly when she was handed a bow and arrows by Kendra "Why thank you, Lady Winters! I will do my best." She bowed her head graciously, slinging the quiver over her shoulder and pulling back the string of the bow to test it out.

"Uhhh, Well..." She pondered for a moment. Truthfully she would have wanted to be in the center stage as it would make for a better story to be told, but it was going to be quite dangerous. She didn't want to come out as a coward either by suggesting she would be hiding somewhere.

"H-hey! Stormfeather, Sir, Where do you think I should be?" She asked from the man who seemed to be the one with knowledge about ambushes.
Stormfeather
 player, 33 posts
Thu 6 Sep 2018
at 17:51
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Well, my Lady, if'n you have the bow, then you should be on the western pallisade of course.  You and I can pelt them as a distraction while the more soldierly types impale them.", he says with a bit of a wink.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 35 posts
Thu 6 Sep 2018
at 18:36
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Right, Thank you" Chahna nods at Stormfeather before turning her attention back at Kendra "I’ll be at Western palisade, Lady Winters."
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 43 posts
Fri 7 Sep 2018
at 21:03
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"I'll be waiting in the stables, ready to charge the fiends once the gate is closed. I doubt the rabble will cause us much trouble." He smiled, confident in his ability to cleanse this land of the bandits that infest it.
DM
 GM, 46 posts
Sun 9 Sep 2018
at 14:50
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Svetlana is a gracious host and provides you bowls of a rich beef and vegetable stew and fresh bread along with all of the ale that you seem interested in drinking.  She makes small talk with you to pass the time, asking about any news you have of Restov or the rest of Brevoy.  Oleg seems to warm up to your presence a bit after his initial reticence after he gets over his scare of having to manipulate the gate when the bandits arrive.  They both seem fairly certain that they will come a couple of hours after sunrise.  As the evening sets in and the temperature drops, Oleg lights a warm fire in the pit between the tables.  Svetlana busies herself in making sure the beds in the guest area (A2) are ready for you.  They are open to any other questions that you might have about the bandits or other topics, but not long after dark they seem to be ready to retire and ask you if there is anything else you need before they turn in.
Kendra Winters
 player, 50 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Sun 9 Sep 2018
at 18:48
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Kendra stays with the others to chat while relaxing in the comforts of the trading post. She does turn in after a few drinks.
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 46 posts
Mon 10 Sep 2018
at 04:18
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
After eating, Istvaan sees to feeding and watering his horse and pack mule. He turns in relatively early, wanting to be well rested for when the bandits arrive.
Stormfeather
 player, 37 posts
Mon 10 Sep 2018
at 12:50
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather enjoys the evening by the fire, but as the night sets in, he disappears, preferring to sleep where he could see the stars.  He lugs his gear up to the wall, opting to sleep in the place where he intends to ambush the bandits on the morrow.  Getting comfortable, he looks up at the skies, and runs through the stories in his head of those that now exist in the heavens, reflected in the stars.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 37 posts
Mon 10 Sep 2018
at 18:21
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Chahna apologizes for not really having much southern news, but she does offer insight into current politics of the northern path of Brevoy and her bias towards the House Lodovka. She is also excited to be eating something besides fish and freshwater crabs that are bread and butter of her home region.

After the evening sets in she takes out her journal, starting to chronicle the day's events and observations into the blank pages. Hopefully, it will serve as a starting point for an epic tale to be written and sold for profit, of course.

She ponders how Aisha is adjusting, where ever her companion may be.
DM
 GM, 50 posts
Tue 18 Sep 2018
at 12:45
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
1st of Pharast, Early Morning ---

The night is cold and clear as befits the passing of winter.  Spring dawns with a black night full of the stars giving way to the light of the sun as the darkness recedes and the sky takes on a brilliant blue hue.  With the coming of the sun, the smell of bacon cooking begins to permeate the trading post.  Within 15 minutes of dawn, Svetlana has the fire pit stoked and the tables set with milk, water, bacon, bread, and porridge.  As she sees you, she says, "at least I can make sure you are well fed."  She has a warm smile on her face, but it is clear she is nervous.

Based on what the Leveton's have told you, the bandits, if they hold true to their previous visits, will arrive mid morning to collect their tribute.

OOC: Please let me know any additional planning or preparation and where and when you position yourselves.
Stormfeather
 player, 38 posts
Tue 18 Sep 2018
at 12:51
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather doesn't come down from his position in the morning.  Having slept at the top of the norther side of the eastern wall, he stretches a bit before pulling out the stale bread from the previous day and gnawing on it.  Instead of going down, he rolls over and looks over the edge of the wall while making sure he can not easily be seen, and inspects the horizon for their potential targets.
Kendra Winters
 player, 52 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Tue 18 Sep 2018
at 19:44
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Kendra ate a hearty breakfast. She asked for a second helping before she set her bowl down. "We'd better clean and put away our dishes. The extra dishes will give us away." She moved on and checked the wagon to make sure that it was in the correct place. "Istvan. We're going to need your horse if we hope to move this wagon closer to the southern wall. But give me some space between the wagon and the wall to squeeze through."
Oleg Leveton
 NPC, 3 posts
Tue 18 Sep 2018
at 20:42
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"I can take care of moving the wagon, Miss Winter.  No need to hitch your steed to this old thing, Lord Istvan," Oleg said, overhearing the request.  He moved into the stable and came out with his work horse and hitched it to the wagon.  He moved it where you directed.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:43, Tue 18 Sept 2018.

Istvan Medvyed
 player, 47 posts
Tue 18 Sep 2018
at 22:44
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Thank you, Mr. Leveton," Istvan said, as graciously as he could manage. "You should probably lock up or barricade any doors you can in the trade post. Wouldn't want the bandits getting into one of the buildings and shoring themselves up." He was in his armor, and looked every bit the knight. He put his barding on his warhorse and mounted it, then rode up to Kendra. "When I charge out, close the gate. With any luck, the bandits will surrender once they realize they're trapped."
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 39 posts
Wed 19 Sep 2018
at 07:53
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
After having breakfast Chahna briefly conversed with Aisha, sending off her avian companion to keep a look out over the trading post. She joined Stormfeather in preparation for the coming battle.

"Well, this is going to be an exciting day, neh?" she asked from Stormfeather with an impish smile on her face.
Stormfeather
 player, 39 posts
Wed 19 Sep 2018
at 08:43
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather grinned at the girl, "Absolutely, not just exciting, but full of potential...", he replied though didn't look directly at her as he continued to scan the horizon for the coming threat.  He did however use his hands to indicate she needed to stay down, low enough to not be seen should the riders breach the horizon.
DM
 GM, 51 posts
Fri 21 Sep 2018
at 00:35
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
As the Leveton's suggested, a couple of hours after sunrise Stormfeather and Chahna saw a group of riders approach the trading post from the south.  Across the plains, at first it was difficult to make out how many were approached, but it became clear that it was four riders.  Two pack horses seemed to be in tow.

The riders seemed completely unconcerned as they approached the trading post, barely looking around them at their surroundings.  Remaining in a hidden position at the top of the fort wall did not pose a problem.  All four riders entered the open gate.  As they entered, the bandit in the rear called out as he glanced around, "Oleg, Oleg Leveton, get your sorry backside out here.  We've come for your tribute!"  At that, the other men, laughed heartily.  All four dismounted their horses and seemed to be waiting for Oleg to appear from his home.
Stormfeather
 player, 40 posts
Fri 21 Sep 2018
at 07:26
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
As the men laughed heartily, Stormfeather used the laughter to mask the closing of the doors to the keep, his telekinetic abilities causing the doors to close, and the wooden beam to come down gently to lock the door.  He kept his presence hidden upon the wall as he performed this telekinetic feat, as he winked towards Chahna to let her know things were about to get busy...
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 40 posts
Fri 21 Sep 2018
at 20:34
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Chahna took a much more serious expression and nodded at Stormfeather, taking an arrow from the borrowed quiver and readied herself for the violence to come. There was no sight of Aisha, and maybe it was for the best for her companion to stay away from the violence.
Kendra Winters
 player, 53 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Sat 22 Sep 2018
at 00:04
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Kendra wasn't able to see the bandits clearly. Nor was she able to see Istvan. She was counting on hearing his charge before she acted... but it was taking too long. BUT she did manage to see that the gate was moving on its own. The gate moved ever so slowly and began to close. She imagined that Stormfeather must have something to do with it. She had to move as well for the gate wouldn't shut unless both doors were closed.

Kendra moved quietly and began to close her door. It was a good thing that the wagon hindered the others from seeing her.

rolled 22 using 1d20+7.  Stealth
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 49 posts
Sat 22 Sep 2018
at 14:18
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
“Surrender or die, bandit scum!” Istvaan shouts as he charges out from the stables, lance leveled at the lead bandit. His lance struck true, hopefully skewering the man beyond repair and convincing the other bandits that they were better off surrendering

Ooc: charge lead bandit, if possible use ride by attack to move far enough away to charge next round.

10:16, Today: Istvan Medvyed rolled 25 using 3d8+12.  Spirited charge damage.
10:15, Today: Istvan Medvyed rolled 20 using 1d20+8.  Lance charge.
13:32, Today: Istvan Medvyed rolled 18 using 1d20+4.  Initiative.
I think that one’s dead.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:35, Sat 22 Sept 2018.

DM
 GM, 55 posts
Sat 22 Sep 2018
at 17:33
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather's side of the gate swung shut, moved by the power of his mind while Kendra moved from behind her well chosen hiding place and pushed the other side shut.  The bandit at the back that had spoken seemed to become aware of the movement of the gates but his attention was quickly drawn back to the front of the courtyard as Istvan spurred his mount to action.  His horse charged out of the shadows of the stable and as it closed on the bandit in the lead, Istvan's lance plunged into the chest of the man.  The force of the blow threw his body back against his own horse and it crumpled to the ground there.

OOC: The bandits will go on 23 and the lead bandit, Happs, will go on 21.
Kendra Winters
 player, 54 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Sat 22 Sep 2018
at 21:45
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
INIT 17
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 41 posts
Sun 23 Sep 2018
at 06:17
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
OOC: 09:16, Today: Chahna Drazzi rolled 6 using 1d20+2.  Initiative.

Stormfeather
 player, 41 posts
Sun 23 Sep 2018
at 09:48
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Once the door closes, stormfeather would focus on some rocks on the ground around the closest person, causing one of them to rise up into the air, hovering momentarily...

[Init: 7.  Declared Action: Rock to the gut of the closest bandit.]
DM
 GM, 56 posts
Sun 23 Sep 2018
at 16:21
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
The bandits recovered from their initial shock of the assault against them and came to their senses, moving quickly to take action against their attackers.  The two remaining bandits near Istvan drew their short swords and moved up to attack.  One of the bandits swung wide, but the other's blade struck true and Istvan took a minor injury (6 hp).

The assumed leader of the group took his already strung bow and knocked an arrow, looking behind him for those that may have closed the gate.  He spotted the Chahna and Stormfeather in their perches and seemed to take special note of Stormfeather's features and with a wicked smile, drew the arrow and let it fly.  The arrow would have killed many men (10 hp), but Stormfeather survived the shot, if only barely.  "There will be more death today, but it will be yours fools!" the bandit yelled out as he reached for another arrow and moved behind the horses to provide cover against Stormfeather and Chahna.

OOC:

12:02, Today: DM rolled 8 using 1d20+2.  Attack vs. Istvan by bandit.
12:03, Today: DM rolled 18 using 1d20+2.  Attack vs. Istvan by bandit 2.
12:03, Today: DM rolled 6 using 1d6+1.  Damage on Istvan from bandit.

12:10, Today: DM rolled 15 using 1d20+1.  Happs attack vs. Stormfeather with longbow.
12:10, Today: DM rolled 10 using 1d8+4.  Happs longbow damage vs. Stormfeather.

Map to be updated momentarily.

Next actions are Istvan, Kendra, Chahna, Stormfeather.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:23, Sun 23 Sept 2018.

Istvan Medvyed
 player, 52 posts
Sun 23 Sep 2018
at 17:24
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Istvaan curses at he bandit who hit him. "I am a knight of the Order of the Cockatrice," he bellows, "and the dirt here will soon be wet with your blood!" His actions, however, fail to reflect his words, as the bandit dodges his lance.


Swift Action: Challenge the bandit that hit me (+2 damage)
Standard Action: Attack the same bandit

13:23, Today: Istvan Medvyed rolled 8 using 1d20+6.  lance attack.

Stormfeather
 player, 42 posts
Mon 24 Sep 2018
at 14:30
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather returned the favor in kind, slamming a rock into the head of the assumed leader (Hit: 23) with a force equal to that which he'd received (Damage: 10). He then slid back further onto the wall, taking himself completely out of sight for a retaliatory strike (Stealth: 15).
Kendra Winters
 player, 55 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Mon 24 Sep 2018
at 19:16
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Kendra waited until both Stormfeather and Chahna had a chance to attack before she rushed the bandit leader. She hustled to confront the bandit leader with her sword in hand. "Any last words?"

OOC: ATK 21, DAM 4
If Critical with ATK 14, then an additional 4 DAM

Chahna Drazzi
 player, 42 posts
Tue 25 Sep 2018
at 01:24
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Following Stormfeathers lead, Chahna shot an arrow towards the same man as the elf did.


04:24, Today: Chahna Drazzi rolled 5 using 1d6.  Shortbow Damage.
04:23, Today: Chahna Drazzi rolled 19 using 1d20+2.  Shortbow attack.

DM
 GM, 59 posts
Tue 25 Sep 2018
at 20:25
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
The rock and the arrow both found their target, grievously injuring the bandit leader.  Kendra closed and finished the ruffian off with a blow delivered between two horses.  All of the rushing and the smell of blood brought the beasts near a panicked state.  The leader cried out, but the sound was soon replaced by a death rattle as his body fell to the ground.

The two bandits attacking Istvan heard their leader fall, and the response was immediate.  "Happs has had it!" one cried out.  "Let's get out of here," the other responded.  The two bandits attempted to flee toward the gate (one will draw an attack of opportunity from Istvan, if desired).  They hesitated at their horses, but thought better of mounting them since the gate was closed.  Instead the two hustled toward the way out.

One bandits path brought him up against Kendra's position and he lashed out with his shortsword (3 hp damage).  The other bandit worked his way around the horses and made it to the gate where he prepared to open his path to freedom.

OOC:
16:22, Today: DM rolled 17 using 1d20+2.  Bandit attack on Kendra.
16:22, Today: DM rolled 3 using 1d6+1.  Bandit damage on Kendra.

Updated map in Group 2.  You may have Ctrl-F5 if you don't see the updated map.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:36, Tue 25 Sept 2018.

Kendra Winters
 player, 56 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Tue 25 Sep 2018
at 20:31
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Kendra's left shoulder bled from the shortsword. She hissed and retaliated with a vicious thrust of her sword. "Surrender of die by my sword, bandit." Kendra snarled at the third bandit.

OOC: ATK 22, DAM 7
If Critical with ATK 14, then an additional 7 DAM

Istvan Medvyed
 player, 53 posts
Tue 25 Sep 2018
at 21:46
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Istvaan struck with his lance as the bandits turn to flee. After they're out of range, rather than trying to navigate his horse through the bandits' own mounts, he dropped his lance, drew a javelin, and hurled it after the injured one.

<Orange>
Both attacks vs the bandit that damaged me, unless the first one drops him (in which case targeting the other bandit would reduce the damage by 2)
17:41, Today: Istvan Medvyed rolled 8 using 1d8+6.  lance damage.
17:40, Today: Istvan Medvyed rolled 19 using 1d20+6.  Lance AOO.
17:45, Today: Istvan Medvyed rolled 10 using 1d6+6.  javelin damage.
17:44, Today: Istvan Medvyed rolled 21 using 1d20+3.  Javelin attack.<Orange>
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 43 posts
Wed 26 Sep 2018
at 06:57
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"What the lady said! Drop your swords or face the consequences!"

She let another arrow loose towards the bandit by the gate.

09:56, Today: Chahna Drazzi rolled 5 using 1d20+2 ((3)).
Stormfeather
 player, 43 posts
 HP: 2 of 12
 AC: 14 / Fo +5 Re +5 Wi 0
Wed 26 Sep 2018
at 08:36
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather laid back, his head bleeding profusely from the gashing wound he'd taken.  Even if he'd wanted to help murder the last of the bandits, which he didn't having been in the role of fleeing from a lawful ambush not so many days ago, he didn't feel able to with the pounding headache he was suffering from, and the blood in his eyes.
DM
 GM, 60 posts
Wed 26 Sep 2018
at 13:54
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
As the bandit turned to run, Istvan stabbed him with lance.  The bandit stumbled and cried out, but then continued his run toward the gate.  As he fled, Istvan dropped his lance, drew his javelin, and hurled it at the bandit catching the scoundrel in the center of his back.  The bandit's body skidded along the ground from his momentum.

Kendra ran the other bandit through.  Her sword dealt a deadly blow and the man dropped, blood spraying from a horrible wound in his neck.

Within seconds of the bandits riding in, the violence was over.  Four dead bandit lay in the courtyard of the trading post and the smell of fresh blood was evident.  The horses milled, nervously but other than their whinnies, everything was quiet.
Stormfeather
 player, 44 posts
 HP: 2 of 12
 AC: 14 / Fo +5 Re +5 Wi 0
Wed 26 Sep 2018
at 14:07
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Water...", Stormfeather moaned.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 44 posts
Wed 26 Sep 2018
at 15:06
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Hah! We did it, Stormfeather!" She turned to look at the elven man with a big smile, but soon the grin was replaced with the face of horror "Stormfeather!"

Chahna wasted little to no time, dropping her bow and running to the elven comrade, dropping to her knees and placing her hand against the bloodied head of him, a warm glow appearing under her palm.

OOC:
Healed Stormfeather for 3 HP
18:05, Today: Chahna Drazzi rolled 3 using 1d8+1 ((2)). CLW

Istvan Medvyed
 player, 54 posts
Wed 26 Sep 2018
at 18:12
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
With the danger over, Istvaan was quick to dismount, wincing as he put pressure on his left leg, the top part of which had been cut open by one of the bandits swords. "Svetlana, Oleg!" he called out, "These bandits will trouble you no longer." After making sure that all his companions were alive, he set about doing what any decent adventurer would do: looting the bodies.
DM
 GM, 61 posts
Thu 27 Sep 2018
at 13:56
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Oleg emerged first from the door to his home which had been cracked during the bandits arrival.  The man had a sword in hand but based on the way he carried it, it was clear he had little knowledge of its use.  He walked to the bandit leader and stood over his body, disgust evident on his face.  He spat into the face of the dead man as Svetlana exited the door.  Her face was tear stained from crying in fear.  She looked at the results of the carnage and then stepped back inside.

As you loot the bodies, you find that the leader of the bandits, the man referred to as Happs, is dressed in leather armor and had a composite longbow requiring a significant strength to properly pull (+2 Str bonus).  In addition, he had a quiver with 19 arrows remaining, a short sword and a dagger on his belt along with a money pouch containing 35 gp.  His horse was equipped with bit and bridle, saddle and saddle bags.  The saddlebags contained 2 days of trail rations.  The only other item of interest found on Happ's body was a small silver amulet shaped in the likeness of a stag's skull around the corpse's neck.

As you searched the other bandits, you found that they were each wearing leather armor, and they were equipped with longbows, quivers with 20 arrows each, and short swords.  Each of their horses was equipped as Happ's horse was and including 2 days of trail rations apiece.  Between the 3 bandits, you find another 31 gp.  The two additional horses had pack saddles.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:56, Thu 27 Sept 2018.

Stormfeather
 player, 45 posts
 HP: 2 of 12
 AC: 14 / Fo +5 Re +5 Wi 0
Mon 1 Oct 2018
at 12:36
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather sat up, "I am in your debt my lady, that was quite a painful stab to the head... ", he remarked as the headache started to subside.  Still, the knot on his head wasn't going down quite yet, and was still sensitive to the touch.  He'd had a brush with death, and wasn't all that happy about it.  "Well, at least we'll all be on horseback now... time to go find where they get their orders from...", he added as he looked below at the carnage.
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 55 posts
Tue 2 Oct 2018
at 23:55
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Istvaan retrieved Happ's bow and pulled on the string experimentally. "I could use the leader's bow. Harder to run out of arrows than javelins. As for the gold, we can split that evenly. You all fought well, I'd say you earned a share. As for going after their base, the immediate threat is resolved and we've probably bought enough time for the guards from Restov to get here. We can at least take the day to rest."
Kendra Winters
 player, 57 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 00:37
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"We worked together. So we'll take an equal share." Kendra interrupted Istvan. "The share is not something that you're giving us. Don't let the rush of this battle... No, maybe this battle has revealed your innermost thoughts. You may be noble-born, but that doesn't mean that you're better than any of us."
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 46 posts
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 03:33
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Chahna smiled at Stormfeather and shook her head "No debt, at least not yet" she chuckled, helping the Elven man up and down to the courtyard.

"I do not think we should go after these people right away, Feathers. Not with your wound." She glanced sternly at Stormfeather before addressing the bow issue "How about I suggest a solution: We split the gold we find and let the young lord Medvyed keep the bow and when he inevitably replaces it, we split the value of it after we sell it?"

Istvan Medvyed
 player, 56 posts
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 06:48
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Istvan shrugged, then lifted Happ's coin purse, counted out a quarter of its contents into his palm, and extended the handful of coins towards Kendra. "Exactly, you fought well and earned your share. We're saying the same thing here. And who said my noble birth has anything to do with it," he said with a smile, then winced again at the wound in his leg. "Say, there wouldn't be any more of that healing magic to go around, would there?"
Kendra Winters
 player, 58 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 06:53
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"I have no problem with Istvan claiming that bow." Kendra said as she selected one of the other longbows. "I just have trouble when he said that we all earned a share. Who is he to judge that we earned our share?"
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 57 posts
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 06:58
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
When Kendra didn't take the proffered gold, he returned it to the pouch, which he tossed on the ground near Happ's body, and crossed his arms. "You have a different assessment? Who do you think didn't do their fair share?"
Stormfeather
 player, 47 posts
 HP: 2 of 12
 AC: 14 / Fo +5 Re +5 Wi 0
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 07:20
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"She didn't say anything about someone not doing their share...", Stormfeather commented, "She's saying that you don't get to decide such things... That being said, none of us should get a share, this is the property of the Leveton's, they are the lords of this keep.  It is to them to decide what to do with the gold, horses and weaponry, that is common law.  They are the ones who have lost much in the past, and need to be repaid for their losses.  And in truth, if they are fair, the only thing we walk out of here with are the horses, and they use this gold to recoup their losses, and offer to sell us any weaponry we wish to claim.", he suggested as he continued, a look of shock on his face that a Knight would just lay claim to something for the fact that he killed the person who had it.  "We are not bandits who get to kill and take what we want from those we killed... we are protectors of the realm.  If the only difference between you and them, is that you have a piece of paper that gives you permission to do what they do, that's no difference at all.".
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 58 posts
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 08:14
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Well you're free to do what you want with your share," said Istvan as he began to count out 17 gold coins from the collected wealth of Happs and the other bandits, "but before you make a decision perhaps you should know that while the Levetons seem like good folk, they are not lords, and this," he paused, chuckling and gesturing to the trading post around them, <RoyalRed>"is not a keep. The fort itself is assuredly the Levetons' property, but as for weapons, coinage, and armor carried by these bandits, we are officers of the law and are well within our rights to seize the possessions of brigands. I'd say this piece of paper is all the difference in the world. The only difference between a lord collecting taxes and a thug strongarming protection is legality. That legality is what separates civilization from wilderness. We killed these men. We laid in wait for them and butchered them. And your concern is with taking their belongings? Seems like a strange point to draw the line between right and wrong. It is legal for us to kill bandits and to seize their possessions, posthumously or otherwise. Our charter is, as a point of fact, the only thing that makes us anything more than well-organized brigands. It's not just a piece of paper, it's what it represents--the full might and authority of the Swordlords of Restov.
Stormfeather
 player, 48 posts
 HP: 2 of 12
 AC: 14 / Fo +5 Re +5 Wi 0
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 08:23
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather's share of the coins floats towards Oleg, the rightful owner of the coins in Stormfeather's eye.  "It's not enough to repay your losses, but it's what I can give.", he says to the owner of the fort, as the coins land in his hand.  He then turns to Istvan, his tone steady and friendly in nature, "A man can justify any action he takes, no matter how vile.  I'm not looking for your excuses, I'm hoping you'll do what's right and am giving you reason to justify doing what's right.  If being a good person isn't in your nature, so be it; but we both know that these coins should go to those who were hurt by the bandits, not to the strong arm that stopped the banditry.", he says as he turns his back to Istvan and asks Oleg, "May I take one of the horses sir?  I have far to go if I'm to stop this banditry.", he asks in a calm imploring voice.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 47 posts
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 13:35
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"The way I see it when we deal with this banditry issue and bring order to these untamed lands the trade will flow and that will be more worth to Levetons than the this." She bounced a bag of coins in her hand to complete her thought.

"Could we not argue about this pittance of the coin? It is embarrassing, especially before the folk we are trying to help. We need every resource available in order to secure a safe profitable future for all of us."
DM
 GM, 64 posts
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 15:54
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
The smell of blood hung heavy in the air, and luckily most of that blood was from the bandits.  The horses had calmed down and began to mill about a bit as the group moved among the corpses looting their belongings.

As the group discussed the disposition of the captured goods and the morality of their actions Oleg looked somewhat dumbfounded.
Oleg Leveton
 NPC, 4 posts
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 15:59
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
As Stormfeather offered his share of the collected coin to Oleg, the tradesman wrapped his hand around the elf's hand.  "No, my friend.  As far as I am concerned you have more than earned that coin."  He glanced up at Stormfeather's head wound.  He continued, "In fact, a moment."

Oleg retreats into his home and as he does so, Svetlana emerges.
Svetlana Leveton
 NPC, 7 posts
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 17:29
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Svetlana seemed to have gotten her crying under control and wiped away the tears from her face, although it was still puffy and red.  Her husband whispered something to her as he entered the house and she hugged him and nodded.  As he continued into their home, she approached you and said, "well, we simply don't know how to thank you.  You don't know the service you have done us.  I tell you this.  If you are staying here, you shall never want for a roof over your heads or a hot meal."  She was tried to be as cheerful as she could.
Oleg Leveton
 NPC, 5 posts
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 17:55
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Oleg returned from his foray into his home, a small pouch in one hand and a small bag in another.  He passed the pouch to Chahna and said, "All that you have taken from the bandits, is yours.  We will manage.  Also, take this." He indicated the pouch.  "And these." He put the bag on the table and you heard the clink of thick glass vials from within.  "They will hopefully be of use to you.  Any of the bandit's goods that you do not wish to keep, I will be happy to purchase from you, at a premium."  He offers a broad smile.

His wife excused herself, and indicated that she was going to start getting some food together.  She seemed to want to get away from the carnage.

Oleg continued once his wife had left, "You have done so much that I hate to ask this, but I would ask for your help with two more things.  First, if you could help me get these bodies out of the courtyard, I would appreciate it.  They are obviously upsetting Svetlana.  The second is more significant.  When the bandits first came, they took my beloved's wedding band.  She has been distraught about it's loss although she hides it well.  It is the only thing I ask for if these bandits have it or if they don't, if you find it in the future.  I would very much appreciate your help."
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 59 posts
 AC 19
 HP 6/12
Wed 3 Oct 2018
at 18:45
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Thank you," Istvan said to the Levetons as they offered the reward, "I'm sure these will come in handy as we explore these lands. We'll bury the bodies outside, assuming we can borrow a shovel, and I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for the ring." After examining the pouches, he begins stripping the bodies of gear and valuables and then tying them together by the ankle. He then ties off his the rope to the horn of his saddle and mounts his horse, intent on dragging them outside.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:23, Thu 04 Oct 2018.

Kendra Winters
 player, 59 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 02:10
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
It seemed that Istvan's overreach was overlooked by the others or they didn't recognize it. Kendra decided to let it go for the time being. She grabbed a shovel from Oleg. "Thanks, I'll take care of this with Istvan." She picked up the pouch of coins on the way out of the fort.
Oleg Leveton
 NPC, 6 posts
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 16:53
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"You all deserve the thanks and deserve this reward," Oleg said.

He also grabbed a shovel and headed out of the gate to help dig graves for the dead bandits.

Your look inside the pouch revealed an additional 50 gp while the sack contains three vials.  The vials are labeled with a bit of parchment tied to them with twine.  Two light blue potions are labeled "Cure Light Wounds" and the other is labeled "Shield of Faith".

It takes a couple of hours of work to dig graves that are deep enough for the bodies.  Once the gruesome work is done, you find that Svetlana has prepared a lunch of cheese, meat, bread, milk, and beer.  She has also taken the time to spread enough fresh straw in the courtyard that the blood stains are no longer visible and the horses have been hitched to the post in the courtyard.
Stormfeather
 player, 49 posts
 HP: 2 of 12
 AC: 14 / Fo +5 Re +5 Wi 0
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 17:40
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather raised an eyebrow, for being an outpost so far out, and with so little in the way of clientele, and having been hit so hard by bandits that they wouldn't survive another season, these people seemed to have more than their share of gold and potions...  Still, they seemed like good people, so Stormfeather didn't question it, he just stealthily made sure that his share of the bandit's gold remained with Oleg and his wife, slipped into a pocket when they weren't looking.  "I like this horse, his white hair suits me...", he asserted as he mounted one of the horses.  He headed out behind Istvan, careful not to get too close to the bodies being dragged along.

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 18:59, Thu 04 Oct 2018.

Chahna Drazzi
 player, 48 posts
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 18:12
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Chahna gave a grateful smile and nod of her head for the timely intervention of Oleg and Svetlana. Ideas of charity and such were good and all, but they were here to establish a nation. A Grand nation at that. She sighed heavily and shook her head to clear her mind.

She let the others handle the nasty business of burying the corpses. Chahna was not interested in dirtying up her clothes. While others were busy with the bodies she attempted to strike a conversation with Oleg.

"So... How is the trade usually around these parts? Good enough to tolerate banditry?"
Oleg Leveton
 NPC, 7 posts
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 19:16
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Oleg took a break from his labors to wipe his brow and answer Chahna's question. "Mistress Drazzi, our trade here has been very successful, at least before we started being accosted by those ruffians.  I didn't really come out here to get rich, and I don't guess I ever will truly, but there was a demand for an outpost here that no one really recognized.  There's nothing that would pass for civilization here in the Stolen Lands, but many people still live and work here in the wilderness.  Once we established ourselves, we became a much easier means for the trappers and hunters that work the area to sell their goods and get their supplies.  No more long trips to Nivakta's Crossing or Restov for them.  There's an old hermit, Bokken by name, that brings us those potions to sell.  He lives out to the east somewhere.  But it seems to be enough trade to support the bandits in the area or at least this area is remote enough that they feel safe."

With the bandits buried, Oleg sat down to the prepared meal and begged all of you to join him.  "What do you intend to do now?" he asked.
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 60 posts
 AC 19
 HP 6/12
Thu 4 Oct 2018
at 19:47
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Stormfeather is right about our course of action," Istvan said, a bit grudgingly. "We need to track those bandits back to their camp and finish them off. I think we'll rest here overnight and set off in the morning. After that, our charter is to explore these lands and deal with any remaining bandit threat."
Stormfeather
 player, 50 posts
 HP: 2 of 12
 AC: 14 / Fo +5 Re +5 Wi 0
Fri 5 Oct 2018
at 11:58
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Once the bodies are dumped, Stormfeather returns to the keep as well, and sits to enjoy a bit of a meal, his head still splitting from the uncannily lucky shot of the leader.  He looks to Chahna, "I don't suppose you could do that thing again where you make the headache go away?", he asks quietly as he hands her some fruit from the table.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 49 posts
Fri 5 Oct 2018
at 17:28
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Chahna nodded along Oleg's answer. "I see, I see... I like men like you. Those who not only see opportunity and take advantage of it." She hummed, tapping her chin "Bokken." She made a mental note of the man's name "Potions will be more than useful. Do we have any healers around? I doubt we are going to run into a Church of Abbadar these parts of the world."



During the meal after the burial was done Chahna shook her head at Stormfeather's question "While I can channel Arcane, I am far more limited in both application and amount of magic I can perform. For now, One major trick per day is all I can muster" She sighed and bowed her head apologetically at the elven man. "I could kiss it to make it better?" She chuckled, motioning with her hand that the words were but a jest.
DM
 GM, 67 posts
Mon 8 Oct 2018
at 12:11
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
The Leveton's continued to show themselves to be excellent hosts.  Svetlana bound Stormfeather's wound and also tended to Istvan's as well as any other injury taken during the melee.

Oleg said, "You are all welcome to stay as long as you need or wish.  We will provide you shelter and a safe place to heal."  The man was much more friendly toward your group after your defense of his home.

The day passed without incident, as Oleg and Svetlana busied themselves with various chores around the trading post.
Stormfeather
 player, 51 posts
 HP: 2 of 12
 AC: 14 / Fo +5 Re +5 Wi 0
Mon 8 Oct 2018
at 12:15
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"I prefer to not waste time, if these guys are expected somewhere, we should likely make sure their destination is reached before they have a chance to realize anyone's gone missing.  Shall we track them back to their base?  See what sort of stash they have if they're working alone, or push on with our bandit cleanup if they are heading to a bigger bandit camp...", Stormfeather suggested as he filled his travelling canteen with water for the next phase of the policing.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 50 posts
Wed 10 Oct 2018
at 14:17
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"I think everyone wants this to be done as soon as possible, but right now is not the time. Especially with you and your head, Feathers." Chahna pointed at the direction of Stormfeather's forehead. "I say we rest, stock up on supplies and head out first thing in the morning."
Kendra Winters
 player, 60 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Wed 10 Oct 2018
at 15:28
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"We don't have any idea where these bandits are coming from. I've no skill in tracking. We'll be wandering the wilds of the Greenbelt." Kendra looked out over the horizon. "We do need to explore and map out the region. I would hope that we'll cross paths with the bandits in time."
Stormfeather
 player, 52 posts
 HP: 2 of 12
 AC: 14 / Fo +5 Re +5 Wi 0
Wed 10 Oct 2018
at 15:41
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"In my experience,", Stormfeather replied, "if they are part of a larger group, tomorrow you can expect this fort to be attacked in full, walls on fire and all of us strung up on the walls.".  He looked over towards the couple that called this home, "You don't need to be able to track, just give the horses their reins, and let them give you a ride home.  And pray that it's an empty camp...  If it's empty, mission accomplished.  If it's not, better to be out there with the element of surprise, than behind these walls, in my humble opinion.  Regardless, I won't be behind these walls come nightfall, I'll meet you out there somewhere if you intend to stay the night.", he continued, pointing out to a distant treeline.
Kendra Winters
 player, 61 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Wed 10 Oct 2018
at 18:31
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Your experiences sounds quite checkered if you're sure that a larger bandit group will attack tomorrow." Kendra dryly said as she looked at Stormfeather. "But if what you said is true, then we need to strengthen our position here. We cannot run and leave these good people to the bandits."

"It's up to you if you leave us. Will you return in the morning or leave us to the bandits?"
Kendra hoped that Stormfeather would return, but his experience sounded suspicious from what he had said earlier.
Stormfeather
 player, 53 posts
 HP: 2 of 12
 AC: 14 / Fo +5 Re +5 Wi 0
Thu 11 Oct 2018
at 07:29
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Without stone masons, and two years of preparation, you can't strengthen your position here.", Stormfeather replied, "The walls are wood, they burn, and even a bandit can make fire.  But by being out there", he says as he points to the treeline, "we can draw them into a treeline, and defend without being burned out.  This is assuming, of course, that there's a larger contingent of bandits on the morrow.  It's not the highest probability, but a strong enough possibility to not sit inside and risk burning... and if they do return, I will do my best to draw them away... though one elf may not seem like enough of a threat to abandon their revenge".
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 61 posts
 AC 19
 HP 6/12
Fri 12 Oct 2018
at 03:03
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Istvan shakes his head. It's hard to set a large blaze unless the wood is bone-dry. Wooden forts like this have stood against armies. There are catapults on the towers, and we could pepper them with arrows from cover as they got close. I'd be more worried about an ambush in the wilds than them staging a frontal assault on the trade post. Besides, it's not like this last group gave us too much trouble. Oleg told us that twelve of them, I think it was, came the first time, so it stands to reason that with four dead, there are only eight left. I'd reckon that we can hold these walls against eight without too much trouble. But it would take a damn fool to go seeking out trouble when we're understrength. You or I could be dropped by a single lucky shot, and personally, I'd rather not take that risk."
Stormfeather
 player, 54 posts
 HP: 2 of 12
 AC: 14 / Fo +5 Re +5 Wi 0
Fri 12 Oct 2018
at 07:15
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather shook his head as he headed out, it was obvious that those catapults were decrepit relics of war, and even if they weren't, they'd only be of use against throngs, such as a contingent of infantry, useless against anything on horseback that could easily just move out of the way, and he'd see forts go up in flames easily enough.  He wasn't going out that way... "See you tomorrow, the gods willing.", he replied with a genial wave as he headed for the treeline on horseback.
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 62 posts
 AC 19
 HP 6/12
Fri 12 Oct 2018
at 17:19
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Istvan watched the elf ride out of the fort towards the trees, but did not attempt to stop him. "Poor bastard's like to get his throat slit in the night," he muttered, then turned back to the rest of the group. "We should still set up a watch though. Three four-hour shifts should do it, so all of us can get a full night's rest. I'll take first."
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 51 posts
Fri 12 Oct 2018
at 17:27
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Chahna had her arm reached out towards Stormfeather as if she had wanted him to stay, but words to convey so never managed to come out of her mouth. She sighed heavily, her arm falling down to her side as she thought the man should let have his way if he so desired.

She managed to let out a chuckle and find some humor from this situation when Istvan proposed the sleeping order "The young Lord needs his beauty sleep? I won't argue. I will take the next watch after you then, Sir Medvyed"
Kendra Winters
 player, 62 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Fri 12 Oct 2018
at 17:32
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"So we're going to wait it out here at the trading post for a few days? Do you really think that the bandits will attack like Stormfeather suggested?" Kendra watched Stormfeather ride to the trees. A lonely soul.
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 64 posts
 AC 19
 HP 6/12
Sat 13 Oct 2018
at 06:52
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Just a day, I think, certainly not more than two. Eventually the rest of the bandits will realize that something happened to this lot, and come looking. We'd best deal with them before too long. I doubt they'll be so bold as to attack a defended strongpoint like this, but it's part of our charter to get rid of them."

OOC: Chahna, if you happen to have another spell for today I'd very much appreciate a cure light
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 53 posts
Sat 13 Oct 2018
at 11:08
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Not to mention, if they tear this place apart they will lose a stream of dependable revenue... Then again that depends if this Stag Lord is a man who thinks far ahead." Chahna shrugged. She was not a bandit expert so she could not really think with a mindset of a one.

OOC: Sorry, Only one Spell per day for level 1 Bard. I used it to cast Cure Light Wounds at Stormfeather.
DM
 GM, 70 posts
Mon 15 Oct 2018
at 20:40
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
[OOC: Assuming that Stormfeather heads out of the trading post after dinner but before dusk.]

The Leveton's provided the adventurers with a decent lunch, taking a break from their activities in the trading post.  But in the afternoon, a delicious smell of roasting meat permeated the fort along with a note of freshly baking bread.  Dinner was served as dusk approached and Oleg stoked the fire pit up as a delicious meal was placed before you.  The Leveton's had left the group alone as they negotiated.  As the items were identified that the group didn't want to keep, Oleg began provided offers for any good you wished to sell.  It was clear that he was offering very special prices for your goods (75% of value) compared to what you were expecting.

Over dinner, Oleg opened up a bit to the group.  In the course of the conversation he mentioned, "Back when I lived in Restov, I once heard a rumor.  I didn't believe it at the time.  Not sure I believe it now.  I heard that there used to be a group of evil priests and monks of some lesser known goddess, a deity of hatred, extortion, and spite, that dwelt on the northern shore of the Tuskwater to the south of here.  I wonder if that were true, if they might still be there and that might explain all the banditry in the area."

Oleg was happy to further discuss the rumor, but it seemed to be nothing more than that.  Just something that he had heard a few years ago, before he even thought of moving to the area.
DM
 GM, 71 posts
Mon 15 Oct 2018
at 20:44
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
After Stormfeather headed out of the fort for the evening, the rest of the party settled in for the nights rest.  Oleg closed the gate of the fort before wishing the rest of you a good night and retiring to his house.

The night was clear and brisk and the stars shown bright in the heavens above, but other than a wolves howl in the distance, it was a quiet night that passed without incident.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 54 posts
Tue 16 Oct 2018
at 13:42
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Chahna wondered if she had heard anything about such a rumor. Where her family originates from is far away in the lands of hundreds of gods. This one sounded like a nasty one and made a mental note of it.

"So, Tomorrow after we go fetch our elven friend, what will be our plan of action?" She asked "I would like to look into this Bokken figure. We should spend some of that money on healing potions of we can."

OOC:
16:38, Today: Chahna Drazzi rolled 23 using 1d20+6 ((17)). Knowledge: Local on the Rumor.
Kendra Winters
 player, 69 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Wed 17 Oct 2018
at 18:32
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"I'm with Chahna. We should explore and map out the area immediately surrounding the trading post."


OOC: Next course of action is to explore 1 space surrounding the trading post
DM
 GM, 73 posts
Thu 18 Oct 2018
at 14:39
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
2nd of Pharast, After Day Break ---

After a good night's rest, the sounds of work in the trading post yard could be heard.  In the courtyard, Oleg added wood to the fire in the fire pit and stoked and then carried more into his home.  The smell of baking bread permeated the fort.  Svetlana brought hot tea and milk out to the tables in the courtyard.  Soon the stronger smell of cooking bacon spread over the trading post.  Oleg opened the gate to the fort and shortly after Stormfeather and his horse were visible some distance from the fort.  A half-elf accompanied him.  The middle aged half-elf approached the fort while Stormfeather waved and headed back the direction from which he came.  The half-elf was dressed in leathers and wore a full pack and a bandoleer of furs.  A smile split Oleg's face as he took a break from chopping wood and called out, "Corman, you old dog!  I wondered when you would arrive.  I see you met Stormfeather out there and luckily no worse for wear it seems.  Come on and get some tea to warm your bones.  Svetlana will have breakfast ready soon."

The newcomer looked to the strangers in the courtyard and said, "I guess Stormfeather didn't come alone.  Better for it.  Your friend said he would meet you in the wild once you were done here and ready to head out."  He unencumbered himself and sat down at one of the tables, pouring himself some tea.

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:43, Thu 18 Oct 2018.

Kendra Winters
 player, 70 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Thu 18 Oct 2018
at 17:06
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Guess the elf feels better in the wilds than being in here." Kendra chuckled. She introduced herself to Corman, "So what brings you here? Sounds like you and Oleg has some history. We're looking to explore these lands. What can you tell us?"
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 55 posts
Thu 18 Oct 2018
at 20:07
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Mister Feathers!" Chahna greeted Stormfeather enthusiastically, waving her hand way up in the air to try and grab his attention.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:52, Mon 22 Oct 2018.

DM
 GM, 75 posts
Mon 22 Oct 2018
at 17:39
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
The newcomer turned to Kendra and said, "Ah, just bringing my skins and furs and in and restocking before heading back out to the woods, Miss.  And yes, I've been trading with Oleg since he sat up his post here.  More convenient than a trip to Nivakta's Crossing every time I need to sell my goods."

He drank some of the hot tea. "That warms my bones, it does," he continued.  "What would you like to know?  I've been working this area for a while.  Most of the trappers work the Narlmarches, the big wood to the west and south of here.  Watch out for kobolds.  They've been known to harry some of the hunters and trappers.  To the north east of the wood there is an area that some say is haunted.  Odd things happen in that neck of the woods."

Svetlana arrived and greeting Corman and brought him some breakfast, which he began to consume with abandon.
Kendra Winters
 player, 72 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Mon 22 Oct 2018
at 18:28
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"How is the bandit activity?" Kendra asked as she eat some breakfast. "We fought off four bandits that was harassing the Levetons. But we fear that there may be more of them. Any hints or trail signs of where they're camp is located?"
Stormfeather
 player, 56 posts
 HP: 6 of 12
 AC: 14 / Fo +5 Re +5 Wi 0
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 06:37
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather turned his horse to the right, and started a distant perimeter search around the old keep, moving from treeline to treeline when possible, searching for potential threats that could fall upon the keep, hoping the combined senses of his and his horse would forewarn him of danger.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 57 posts
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 20:40
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Sahela let out a heavy sigh when Stormfeather oh so rudely decided to just ride about instead of rejoining the group.

"I don't get it... What is wrong with that man?"

DM
 GM, 76 posts
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 21:48
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Corman sipped on his tea and then said, "well, that's four that we won't have to worry about, but I think there are more than that.  I've seen some trail sign, but normally they don't seem to come into the areas that I normally hunt and trap.  Good thing, too, they would likely scare off the game.  From what I hear, other than pestering Oleg, they concentrate more on traders traveling through the area or strike out from the Stolen Lands into the surrounding areas.  If they have a permanent camp, it makes sense it would be on the water somewhere.  Sadly, there's three rivers that cut through the northern part of the Narlmarches, the Thorn, the Skunk, and the Murque.  If there base isn't in the forest, it could be on the Shrike, the Gudrin, or the Little Sellen, or maybe on Tuskwater Lake or Candlemere Lake.  I wish I could point you to them."

Corman seems tired out by stringing together so many words.  The man definitely isn't used to talking this much.  He leans back to relax a bit.
Stormfeather
 player, 57 posts
 HP: 6 of 12
 AC: 14 / Fo +5 Re +5 Wi 0
Thu 25 Oct 2018
at 12:18
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Continuing his circuit around the keep, Stormfeather keeps his gaze outwards, wary for that potential threat he is sure is coming from the rest of the Bandits of the area.
Kendra Winters
 player, 73 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Mon 29 Oct 2018
at 18:57
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Gods know what might be going through that elf's mind. Just be glad that he's on our side." Kendra replied to Chahna. She listened thoughtfully as Corman described the region. There certainly were a lot of rivers and two lakes! "Are these rivers passable on horse or are there fords that are marked out for travelers?"

Kendra will wait for his response before she brought the matter to the three, "I say we explore a little bit of the area today."


Let's go 2 hex to the right. I'm basing this on the Game Map for Group 0
DM
 GM, 77 posts
Mon 29 Oct 2018
at 20:56
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Corman scratches his head.  "There are fords in the rivers at different places.  I suppose horses might be able to swim most of them.  The Thorn is the one I know the best, but I stay north of the river most of the time.  Within the forest there is a fordable area.  I went through that way a couple of years ago on foot.  Once you get out of the forest, farther to the east, there is an old bridge to cross the river.  I've heard there is another fordable location close to where the Thorn runs into the Shrike.  To cross the Shrike, I've heard a Brevian built a bridge over it to the south east and it can be crossed there, but he charges a toll.  From what I've heard about the Shrike, that's likely money well spent.  Anything to the south of that, I wouldn't know about.  Do be careful out there."  Corman finished.  The trapper turned back to his food after wishing you well.
DM
 GM, 81 posts
Tue 30 Oct 2018
at 21:52
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
With the information you have gathered, the three of you set out from the trading post on your horses, traveling to the south east.  You are soon joined by Stormfeather who was riding a circuit around the trading post.  You stay to the south of the South Rostland Road and explore the area of plains finding for the most part what looks to be fertile grasslands with the first shoots just now making their way through the soil.  There a few copses of trees to be found, mostly with evergreens.  The landscape consists of gently rolling plains.

You smell that you may have found something of interest before you spot it.  An odd blend of odors greets you, some of them not wholly pleasant.  As you crest a small rise, you see ahead of you a simply hut.  Smoke can be seen coming from the hut as well as from a work area in front of the structure where a few tables have been set up.  An old man can be seen moving around the tables, his attention obviously focused intently on his work.
Kendra Winters
 player, 78 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Wed 31 Oct 2018
at 21:31
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Look. A homesteader." Kendra nudged his horse forward. She kept a watchful eye as she scan the immediate area. "Good day to you. I hope everything is going well. You're the first homesteader in the area. Do you know how many others have made their homes in the region?"

"We've come from the trading post."

DM
 GM, 84 posts
Thu 1 Nov 2018
at 12:41
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
As your horses crest the hill, the old man takes note of your approach.  You can see that grabs a vial from a pouch at his belt and holds it at the ready, but other than that he simply watches carefully as you close with him.  Getting closer, you can see that he is eyeing you with some suspicion, but as you call your greeting he seems to relax somewhat.  He is dressed in a mixture of worn wool clothing and furs.  His hair is long as is his scraggly beard, and both are grey throughout.  His movements still seem fidgety and quick.  In response to your greeting and question, he replies, "Good day..., good day..., I suppose it is.  New visitors but not bandits.  At least, seemingly... not bandits."  He raises an questioning eyebrow. "No, must not be, except maybe that one..." the old man says as he points at Stormfeather.  "That one has the look."

The old man's eyes scan the horizon and he looks for a moment as if he has forgotten that you are there, but then his answer continues, "Old Bokken doesn't know many others at all.  Not many choose to live in the Stolen Lands.  Certainly not to make there home here.  The trappers come and go.  The bandits come and go.  Old Bokken stays.  And now Oleg and Svetlana.  You came from there.  You know them..."  He cracks a bit of a crazed smile revealing stained teeth.  The old man still holds a vial in his hand as he speaks.  You can see on his workbenches containers of various ingredients, several mortar and pestles, and several small ovens.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 61 posts
Thu 1 Nov 2018
at 23:04
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Ah, So you're Bokken! A pleasure to meet you, Good sir!" Chahna bowed her head respectfully at the man "I heard you dealt in potions, yes? I and my companions are planning on taming these lands once and for all, and your skills would prove invaluable."

"I'll be frank, We are in need of healing potions. I hope we could come to an arrangement in a long time agreement of you supplies us in our endeavors?" She smiled expectantly at the old man.
Kendra Winters
 player, 79 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Mon 5 Nov 2018
at 02:56
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Kendra smiled as they discussed the idea of purchasing potions. "Yes, we're staying with the Leveton's for the time being. And as Chahna said, we're here to bring the bandits to heel."
Stormfeather
 player, 59 posts
 HP: 6 of 12
 AC: 14 / Fo +5 Re +5 Wi 0
Mon 5 Nov 2018
at 17:43
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
If Stormfeather took offense to the man's obvious ineptitude at identifying someone, he didn't let it show.  He just sat there, smiling his friendly smile, and focused far more on potential distant threats than the more local senility being displayed.  After all, they did need healing potions, and calling those old bones out would be counter-productive.
DM
 GM, 87 posts
Mon 5 Nov 2018
at 22:39
The Stolen Lands (IC)
"Aye, I'm Bokken, I am." the old man replies, ducking and bobbing his head.  "My name is Bokken and I do make potions, and yes, I do, I do have healing potions for sale.  How many do you need younglings?  I have two right now, but I can make more if you need them.  I just need a few days.  Not many.  Just a few.  But if you want these two, they are only 50 gold apiece.  Very fair.  Only 50 gold each.  Just let old Bokken know."

"By the way, younglings...  If you are going to be searching these lands, there is something you might do for me...  yes, yes, you might be able to...  fang berries...  they make such a good ingredient.  But I don't get them very much.  There is a small local patch, but I go through that so quickly.  But there is a large thicket of them to the southwest of here.  Maybe a little more than 50 miles.  If you happen to be there and could bring me back some of those fang berries...  Well, I would appreciate it.  I would indeed."  Bokken says and then looks surprised at himself for saying all of those words together.  But he shakes his head and quickly gets over the shock of it.

The old man continues, "So, you are Chahna, I take it," he says, indicating Chahna, "what of the rest of you?  What are your names?"
Stormfeather
 player, 60 posts
 HP: 6 of 12
 AC: 14 / Fo +5 Re +5 Wi 0
Wed 7 Nov 2018
at 13:34
The Stolen Lands (IC)
Stormfeather listened, but his eyes were still on the horizon, wary for banditry and ambush as the others partook of this social obligation.  He rubbed the wound on his head a bit, though that was more subconscious than not, quickly lowering his hand as he felt the sensitive pain that shoots through such a fresh wound.  His smile did not leave his face, but it was easy to see that despite the smile, he wasn't really with the group, his focus remaining on not falling to potential threats that could arise.  Truth was, he hated being so out in the open, and yearned to find shadows to meld into.  That was the problem of riding with a group...
Kendra Winters
 player, 80 posts
 Lady Winters
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Wed 7 Nov 2018
at 15:51
The Stolen Lands (IC)
"Kendra." She answered Bokken. "I'll take one of those healing potions." She counted out several coins and handed them to the man, "Do you only create healing potions or are you able to create others?"
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 62 posts
Thu 8 Nov 2018
at 02:10
The Stolen Lands (IC)
Chahna strokes her chin while she ponders on the price "Bokken I know you can do much better price than fifty. You do see that when we bring these lands to heel the business for you, for everyone, will flourish! With your help, we will rival Absalom with our wealth!" She smiled at the man brightly.

"Give me your best offer, and in return, I will guarantee our continued patronage of your establishment for our potion needs for the future to come."

OOC:
Activating Fast Talk (Su)
04:04, Today: Chahna Drazzi rolled 24 using 1d20+5 ((19)).