Oleg's Trading Post (IC)   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 39 posts
Sun 26 Aug 2018
at 14:57
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
28th of Calistril, Early Afternoon ---

As you travel down the South Rostland Road, in the distance you see a low rise with a structure on it that seems to be just off the road.  As you approach, you see that the structure is an old fort, evidenced by the plants that have grown up the side of some of the walls of the fort.  The trading post is surrounded by a 10 foot high wooden palisade.  At the corners of the palisade are 20 foot tall towers that look to have catapults installed on top of them.  A 30 foot wide gate stands open to allow entrance to the trading post.  The roofs of several structures can be seen inside the old fort.  On one of these a figure can be seen moving about.
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 33 posts
Sun 26 Aug 2018
at 16:12
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Istvan rides to the head of the small column. "Greetings," he shouted to the figure atop the roof, "We bring tidings and reinforcement from Restov! We are here to meet with Oleg!" While he had lance and shield in hand, he did his best to look non-threatening. As he spoke, he scanned the area for any potential threats.


12:12, Today: Istvan Medvyed rolled 8 using 1d20.  Perception.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:56, Sun 26 Aug 2018.

Stormfeather
 player, 23 posts
Sun 26 Aug 2018
at 16:30
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather was quite happy taking up a rear position his mule trodding along, pausing sporadically to eat from bushes forcing him to catch up repeatedly.  Fortunately, Stormfeather weighed far less than most, and his weight was negligible to the beast.  He looked up as they approached the fort, shaking his head at the blockiness of the human construct, and out in the open at that.  Seeing that they were close, he hopped off his mule, ready to duck behind it for cover, a surely needless precaution.  As Istvan made his introduction, Stormfeather  adjusted his backpack, making sure he could move fluidly should he need to.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 27 posts
Sun 26 Aug 2018
at 16:38
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Chahna allowed the young lord Istvan to ride ahead and introduce the group. She was sure the man would make a good impression, being for a Great House and being every bit the handsome knight that his status requires of him, or that is what Chahna thought. Regardless, she placed a hand over her eyes and she peered towards the buildings ahead to see what they were dealing with in hopefully positive manner.

19:28, Today: Chahna Drazzi rolled 20 using 1d20.  Perception.

Kendra Winters
 player, 32 posts
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Sun 26 Aug 2018
at 18:50
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Looks quite promising." Kendra smiled. The fort already had a palisade and towers with catapults. She pointed to one of the towers, "Those catapults are impressive."

It took a while, but Kendra managed to get inside the walls. She had to stand a bit to the side since Istvan was still mounted.
DM
 GM, 40 posts
Sun 26 Aug 2018
at 19:17
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
As you get closer to the fort, you are able to see from the ground that the catapults are relics and not in good repair.  The palisade and the gate, however do seem to be sturdy.  As you get within shouting distance, you can see into the fort itself, through the open gate.  An open courtyard is just inside the gate, some 30 feet wide by 50 feet long.  A horse drawn cart currently sits in the area.  Three buildings can be seen within.  To the left of the courtyard is obviously a stable.  To the right near the back of the fort looks to be the largest structure and from the curtains hung in the windows, it seems to be the home of the occupants.  The man is on the roof of the third building, immediately to the right of the courtyard.  As you approach it becomes clear that he was working on roof repairs.  At the back of the courtyard you see another structure that has a roof covering a fenced area.

The man threw up a hand when Istvan called out to him, but it was unclear if it was in greeting, or a motion meant to wave Istvan away.  It was noncommittal and half-hearted.  The man continues to focus on his work.  However, as you approach the gate, you see a middle-aged woman coming out of the largest building.  She has a warm smile on her face and from the lines there you can see that it is an expression that is no stranger there.
Svetlana Leveton
 NPC, 1 post
Sun 26 Aug 2018
at 19:20
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Welcome, welcome to Oleg's Trading Post!  I am Svetlana, Oleg's wife." the woman called out to the party as she approached.  "I hope your journey has been an easy one.  You come all the way from Restov?"

Svetlana is dressed in clothing very similar to what you had seen in Restov worn by women of similar station.
Kendra Winters
 player, 33 posts
 Sword Scion Swashbuckler
Sun 26 Aug 2018
at 22:06
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Kendra stepped forward, "Yes, we've come from Restov. I'm Kendra." She looked up at Oleg and gave him a wave. "The mayor sent us here. We've been told that bandits have been a problem in the area. In fact, the mayor gave us a charter to rid the region of bandits."

"Captain Weems reported that they haven't seen any signs of bandits. How are the conditions here?"

Stormfeather
 player, 24 posts
Mon 27 Aug 2018
at 09:21
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
As Stormfeather entered the palisade, he worried a bit.  There was a lot of wood in use here, and it wasn't green wood... it was tinder.  While the gates and walls might hold off wild animals, they would prove to be no barrier at all to any sort of bandits nor troops.  He spent his time looking at the buildings to determine just how easily the place would burn down, what stone constructs were to be found, and where he would strategically place an underground shelter in case of a raid.  He also spent some time looking at the layout of the fort, trying to gauge the size of it over all, and a layout of where the buildings were, so that he could draw it later.  If this was to be a base of operations, he would need to insure it was safe from people like himse... err... safe from bandits.
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 28 posts
Mon 27 Aug 2018
at 19:46
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"Chahna" The Vudrani woman smiled and bowed her head respectfully as she introduced herself to Sveltana. "I come from as far as the Lake of Mist And Veils myself! Pleased to meet you, Missis Leveton!"

She looked towards Kendra and nodded at the swordswoman. It was good she went into the heart of the current task.
Svetlana Leveton
 NPC, 2 posts
Tue 28 Aug 2018
at 20:02
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Svetlana's smile continued to brighten her face as she clapped her hands and addressed Chahna's comment first, "As far as that.  Are all the women there as beautiful and with such striking features?  Do tell me, my dear."

She simply nodded at Stormfeather as she noticed his knowing glances around the compound.

To Kendra and Istvan's comments, she replied, "Oh dear me, yes.  By the gods, the bandits have been a terror for us.  We are lucky we still have our lives and our home, if you ask me, but if they aren't stopped we certainly won't have a business for long.  They've come for 3 months now and each time have left with the majority of our trade goods for the month.  If the pattern holds, they will come again tomorrow.  So you see, your arrival must be a blessing from Erastil who has heard my prayers!"  Svetlana's happy demeanor seems to fade as if she is remembering the unpleasant visits by the bandits in earlier months, but by the end of her monologue, she has cheered herself again.

"You must be road weary!  Please, take your animals and hitch them by the stables and rest yourselves."  She first indicates the stables and then a set of two tables out in the courtyard which have benches for seating and a low burning fire pit.  "I will be just a minute getting you something to drink and it will take me just a few minutes to add more to the stew for tonight.  Oleg will be down soon to greet you properly."

With that, she gives you another warm smile and disappears through the door into the largest structure.
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 34 posts
Tue 28 Aug 2018
at 22:46
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Istvan dismounted and led his horse to the hitch. He surveyed the trading post, thinking about how best to deal with the coming bandits.

How many entrances does the trading post have, and are there any positions where I could charge people entering the compound but be concealed from the view of anyone approaching from outside?
Stormfeather
 player, 25 posts
Wed 29 Aug 2018
at 09:33
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather raised an eyebrow... tomorrow?!?.  "We need to leave...", he said aloud before he realized it was vocalized rather than thought.  He continued in order to explain, "You can't stop bandits by slapping them in the face... you stop them by striking them in their hearts.  When they arrive, they are at the strongest moment, free of encumbrance, jubilant in their endeavours... don't hit them then.  Hit them when they are leaving, burdened with their ill-gotten gains, as they 'flee' from expected reprisal.  And while we are out there", he stated as he pointed back in the direction they'd arrived from, "We identify where they come from, what sort of backup they have, and prepare to take the fight to their camp.  We hit them on their egress, then hit them harder at home.  Being in here... that gives them not only potential for retreat, but the potential to claim they weren't actually bandits, because we'd be striking at them before the crime, or in pursuit...".  Stormfeather combed his long hair back with his hand as he made his tactical suggestion, already eyeing the walls for a lookout location, and potential ambush location.  He was on a mule, and some of them were on foot.  They weren't going to win a race if the bandits had time to initiate a flight.
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 35 posts
Wed 29 Aug 2018
at 16:00
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
“We’re not leaving,” Istvaan said. “The bandits likely know the terrain better than us, so meeting them out in the open will probably lose us the element of surprise. Going to their camp, now, is out of the question. That is when they are at their strongest. You can go assail prepared defenses in a glorious charge if you like, but I prefer victory. Here’s what we’ll do: the bandits will come tomorrow, expecting nothing unusual. Once they are inside the walls of the trading post, our hosts will close the gates, cutting off their means of escape. Then, we spring an ambush. They will be surprised, trapped, and disoriented. We kill their leaders first, then hopefully the grunts will surrender. Once we have them in custody, we get the location of their camp and then hang them, as stipulated in our charter.” Istvaan gestured over to where his lance hung at his horse’s side. “We can agree on one thing: you can’t stop bandits by slapping them in the face, but a cavalry lance to the chest will certainly do the trick.”
Chahna Drazzi
 player, 29 posts
Wed 29 Aug 2018
at 17:29
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
"T-thank you." Chahna tried to suppress a flush, moving a flock of hair behind her ear after being complimented by Svetlana. "I haven't seen much of the world, so it would be unfair for me to pass judgment... but I think we northerners are quite dashing!" She stifled a giggle and smiled.

She was surprised by Stormfeather and Istvan. "Gentlemen, Please, can we at least take a moment to rest and drink before we start plotting the next step. We just got here, after all."
Stormfeather
 player, 26 posts
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 07:53
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
Stormfeather shook his head, "You're thinking like a soldier leading a squadron.  Unless you can take out the entire group of bandits single-handedly, we can't do this like soldiers... we're not soldiers.", as Chahna speaks up, "No, resting would be the worst idea... we need to have a plan, and only have tonight to come up with something more brilliant than 'charge'", he replied to Chahna before continuing.

"I like the idea of closing them in, but how long does it take to close the gate, and how at-risk is the individual closing it during that time?  We're almost certainly going to be out-numbered... no such thing as a bandit group of less than 4... and we have one soldier in our midst.  If we keep the battle here, then we need a plan that puts us at minimal risk.  Closed gate, ranged attacks... confusion.  While I don't mind you taking the risk of charging into the center of a hoard, pretty sure you're the only one doing any charging...".

He then looks towards Kendra and Chahna, "Now's the time to find out what your combat strengths are.  His is charging with a lance it seems.  I'm decent with some ranged combat, like dagger throwing... but not with melee... what about you two?", he asks.
Istvan Medvyed
 player, 36 posts
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 14:16
Oleg's Trading Post (IC)
“At least I’m thinking,” shot back Istvaan. “Professional soldier or not, it doesn’t take a genius to conclude that it’s easier to attack an enemy from a prepared position than assail one of their own. We know where and when the bandits—some of them, at least—will be: here, tomorrow. Engaging them then is the only real choice. You can traipse through the Greenbelt looking for their camp if it suits you, I’ll be busy fulfilling the terms of our charter.”