Cowboys and Indians: Charge!   Posted by Derrick.Group: 0
Derrick
 GM, 252 posts
Wed 9 Jan 2019
at 15:59
Cowboys and Indians: Charge!
Daisy Dukes, Earnest Venture, and Benjamin Olsen are making a last stand near two wagons. 15 Comanche warriors are charging them on horseback. We have the same gently rolling landscape at last time, which means that sight lines are approximately 200 yards.

The cowboys each have a horse, a saddle, 50 bullets, and a long arm and a short arm. They have their knives as well, but if they have to use them they'll be in trouble. The wagons may contain any item a cowboy could reasonably have on a roundup.

Victory is granted to whomever gains possession of the wagons.

quote:

We are using the high tech and low tech books.

The landscape gently rolls with 3 yard hills taking 200 yards or so to roll (so from hill top to hill top), and the creeks cutting deeply through them.

Targeted locations, gun-fu(though no one has gunslinger), martial arts, and simplified gun specialties (all long arms use the long arm skill) are in play.

The Comanches may have any number of iron spears, knives, and axes. They may have TL2 bows. two of the TL2 weapons may have a +2 CF bonus.

Vulco1
 player, 112 posts
Thu 10 Jan 2019
at 18:37
Cowboys and Indians: Charge!
"Welp, here they come..." Ben takes a step behind a wagon for some cover and takes aim at one of the commanches.

Takes the aim action
Derrick
 GM, 253 posts
Thu 10 Jan 2019
at 18:46
Cowboys and Indians: Charge!
Vulco1:
What should be used as the range and speed modifier at the start here?  How fast are those horses moving or because they are coming at us, there isn't one?

I'd suggest -12 to start (200yds + 12yds/sec for the horsespeed).


It is in fact -12 (200 yard range): the horses speed won't matter until they are pretty darn close!
Mari
 player, 60 posts
Thu 10 Jan 2019
at 19:37
Re: Cowboys and Indians: Charge!

Fifteen Indian warrior women crested the gently rolling hill and charged on their painted ponies towards the two lonely wagons. They had warpaint on and were whooping and hollering as they rode, as if each one was urging the others on. Seven of them had short bows, but they did not draw an arrow yet, they were still too far away from the palefaces. The other eight were armed with a spear, which sounds not too impressive until you remember that the Comanche were called the best light cavalry in the world.

On they came, fully aware that they were being targeted by the palefaces right now. But there was no other way, these strangers had violated sacred ground and needed to die to appease the ancestors.


Derrick:
It is in fact -12 (200 yard range): the horses speed won't matter until they are pretty darn close!

According to the simplified range table from GunFu it is actually -11 (between 101 and 500 yards). Or are we using the normal range table?
evileeyore
 GM, 196 posts
Fri 11 Jan 2019
at 01:22
Re: Cowboys and Indians: Charge!
If we can start mounted, Earnest will spur his horse towards the Comanches, but at an angle (call it 45 from the plane of attack for simplicity, thus he'll move forward 6 yards and "to the side" 6 yards), as though aiming to sweep right and flank them.  If the COwboys cannot start mounted, he'll mount up!

Daisy will follow Ben's lead and move to the cover of wagon (if they're open top wagons, she'll begin climbing into the back).
Vulco1
 player, 114 posts
Fri 11 Jan 2019
at 16:27
Re: Cowboys and Indians: Charge!
How do we want to do turn order and initiative? Do we need to roll off for it?
Also, can we attack multiple targets per turn? I haven't found anything that says we can't but I haven't found something that says we can either.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:38, Fri 11 Jan.

evileeyore
 GM, 198 posts
Sat 12 Jan 2019
at 00:55
Re: Cowboys and Indians: Charge!
I responded to Vulco's questions over in the "Cowboy and Indians" thread to keep this focused on the combat.
Vulco1
 player, 120 posts
Tue 15 Jan 2019
at 21:44
Re: Cowboys and Indians: Charge!
Ben says "Here we go." then fires two shots into one of the Commanches with bows. Both shots go wide


16:44, Today: Vulco1 rolled 9 using 3d6.  Rifle Fire 2 (8(17(base skill) +3(accuracy)-12(Modifier)) vs Roll.

16:43, Today: Vulco1 rolled 11 using 3d6.  Rifle Fire 1 (8(17(base skill) +3(accuracy)-12(Modifier)) vs Roll.

evileeyore
 GM, 201 posts
Wed 16 Jan 2019
at 01:53
Re: Cowboys and Indians: Charge!
Vulco1:
Ben says "Here we go." then fires two shots into one of the Commanches with bows. Both shots go wide


16:44, Today: Vulco1 rolled 9 using 3d6.  Rifle Fire 2 (8(17(base skill) +3(accuracy)-12(Modifier)) vs Roll.

16:43, Today: Vulco1 rolled 11 using 3d6.  Rifle Fire 1 (8(17(base skill) +3(accuracy)-12(Modifier)) vs Roll.

Rapid firing into one target is singular roll, see page 373 under Rapid Fire.
Mari
 player, 65 posts
Thu 17 Jan 2019
at 15:05
Re: Cowboys and Indians: Charge!
The Indians kept charging on, their warcries filling the air.


Action: For the first six turns, they only do all-out defense dodge (until the distance is down to 128 yards).
Derrick
 GM, 257 posts
Fri 18 Jan 2019
at 15:15
Re: Cowboys and Indians: Charge!
Comanche are at (14,188) to (-14,188), with each even number occupied by a comanche.


Ben fires two shots at the oncoming Comanche, without effect, from behind a wagon. he is down 2 shots (out of 15 loaded I think?)

Daisy is in a wagon and can act.

Earnest is at (6,6) and can act.

Position questions:

Which wagon is Daisy in? (Left[-] or Right[+], and is she in the middle of the wagon, at the outside edge, or the inside edge?

similarly, which wagon and which corner is Ben behind?

Mari, Which Comanche are spears and which are bows?

When shooting, please state if you're shooting at a spear or a bow, and if you're targeting on the left, right, or center (handedness favors cowboys, and right is positive on the map).

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:16, Fri 18 Jan.

Mari
 player, 67 posts
Fri 18 Jan 2019
at 19:15
Re: Cowboys and Indians: Charge!
Derrick:
Mari, Which Comanche are spears and which are bows?

From left to right: Spear, Bow, Spear, Bow, etc.
evileeyore
 GM, 205 posts
Sat 19 Jan 2019
at 02:27
Re: Cowboys and Indians: Charge!
Derrick:
Which wagon is Daisy in? (Left[-] or Right[+], and is she in the middle of the wagon, at the outside edge, or the inside edge?

Left wagon, edge facing the Comanches.


Daisy braces herself and takes Aim with her Spencer.

Earnest takes Aim with his Winchester and lets Laith* continue cantering forward.




* His horse.
Derrick
 GM, 259 posts
Mon 21 Jan 2019
at 15:25
Re: Cowboys and Indians: Charge!
Comanche from (14,176) to (-14,176), taking all out defense.

Earnest at (8,8), with one round of aim (please specify weapon type of target and general position in line*).

Daisy at either (-4,-1) or (-1,-1) and with one round of aim (please specify weapon type of target and general position in line*)

Ben at either (4,-2) or (1,-2) and has just fired, missing both shots.

*for example, "spear on my left" OR "bow in center" OR "horse of spear on my right"