Aftermath (0.0.3)   Posted by Morien.Group: 0
Erin
 player, 63 posts
 Sister of Light
Fri 11 Jan 2019
at 18:12
Aftermath (0.0.3)
Erin slid out of her backpack to check for any rations.  She hadn't felt hungry since being revived and not thought to check before.  There was none, but she did note how acid eaten her jacket and skirt had become.  She was beginning to dress as one might think an undead zombie would.

"I haven't anything for them other than water," she replied to Wisla, holding out a full waterskin.  She'd fed many in the past with just as empty a pack, but for now, she was alone.

"We're only four hours from town," she continued, "let's just carry them back to town.  They'll have food there."
Morien
 GM, 49 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Returns
Fri 11 Jan 2019
at 19:34
Aftermath (0.0.3)
 Morien pointed back toward where they had made camp last night. "Whilst we were coming here, I saw a fruit tree. It may not be much, but it should quiet grumbling tummies until you can make it back to town... and the path we took should be fairly easy to follow if you look for dead vegetation."

 The children hesitated for several seconds when Erin offered them two more rations. It seemed almost as though they expected her skeleton to burst out of her skin and grab them... however, hunger won out and the bravest among them took the rations from her.

 The children took the rations but, when Arashi mentioned feeding them ogre meat, stopped mid bite and looked at each other worriedly before staring very hard at the rations they'd been given.

OOC: rolled a 10 on survival, enough to feed one person. Unlike normal, Morien's flaw (killing vegetation) makes the DC to retrace your steps 0 so you won't need to move slowly to get to the tree. With Wisla's and Erins rations, along with the tree, that'll be enough to feed 4 children for 4 hours.
Arashi
 player, 96 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 43/49 AC:19 Init+6
Fri 11 Jan 2019
at 21:07
Aftermath (0.0.3)
The undead monk chuckled at the children's reaction. His own laugh sounded almost alien to him. How long had it been since he last laughed? He pushed the thought away before addressing the group.

"Erin once again makes a good point. Perhaps it would simply be best to carry the children to the town. I volunteer myself, as I am mostly unharmed. It would likely be best to have three others, so we each could carry a child while the rest could stay behind and protect our Lord, who can summon us when the task is complete." Arashi paused and turned to Wisla, his undead eyes revealing nothing, "Unless you have any objections, General?"
Tavi
 player, 68 posts
Sat 12 Jan 2019
at 03:37
Aftermath (0.0.3)
Tavi popped his jaw before answering Floki. "Wouldn't give a witch her true name, solid ten years she cursed me every day I would not give her what she wanted. Some curses are bad like the Fauna curse. Others are not so bad like prey always knows where I am." Tavi indicated the ghost ox and the kids. "Other things like Ill kill any colorful bird I see, I can't willfully lie, her ghost bird army. So on and so forth."

He looked to Wisla, "Cheers, may your charge last forever."
Tessa
 player, 45 posts
Sat 12 Jan 2019
at 04:03
Aftermath (0.0.3)
Tessa takes the time to assess each members wounds and proceeds to channel her dark energy to restoring what she can of their wounds. The process is slow, but generally effective. Upon the surprise of Morien leaving she frowns but accepts the change, assuming he has some plan he is working on. "Congratulations Wilsa, a wise choice." She considers the issue of the children. The idea of splitting up doesn't sit well with her. "If we want to take them back now, we should all go. I would point out that most of our magical potential is spent, and that resting will be the only way to retrieve it. Whether we rest and deliver or deliver and rest doesn't matter to me." she says, offering her view.
Floki
 player, 52 posts
 My name is Floki ..
 Just Floki ..
Sun 13 Jan 2019
at 21:41
Aftermath (0.0.3)
Floki heads out while the rest casually discusses what to do.

There was not much time. Nor did Floki use it. With only a flask of water Floki returns and hands it to those children who need it most "I can provide for food and water, yet .. I would need more time to hunt. And to snare beasts and alike. It takes time. Time, we might not have. Though these surroundings now seem safe from any further threats. We should make haste. Lest anger the gods"

If there were any, that was to say. But. Just to be safe
Floki sets himself up against the wall. Feeling still slightly drained from the rage he had experienced awhile ago. It had been a long time since he had felt such a rush of adrenaline

"Anything you need .. I will see if I can find."
Wisla
 player, 108 posts
Mon 14 Jan 2019
at 01:13
Aftermath (0.0.3)
Wisla Considers the words of her compatriots. She was about to make the decision to stay when Floki spoke up. If most of the group is up to travel and feels comfortable they can defend themselves getting the children home is the better option. Rather then ask the ready to fight people to carry children she touches the horn. These warrior may feel insulted by this request but they also would add more protection to the children, "Lets get prepared to go. Ill summon our allies to carry the children and provide additional protection while we travel. We will make for the fruit tree and then town hopefully we can find water on the way."

She brings the horn to her lips and blows. Calling the barbarian warriors to her side she speaks as soon as they have fully arrived, "Good morning warriors. I have called you to carry and protect children so that we can get them safely home. Until we return them to there parents there safety will be your primary concern."

She turns to the children and drops down to a knee again, "These Warriors will carry you and protect you . We will have you home before dark."
Morien
 GM, 51 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Returns
Mon 14 Jan 2019
at 05:45
Aftermath (0.0.3)
 The horn rings loud and true. In the morning light, the sound seems to echo far louder and longer than it should have, even if she had blown it gently.

 There was a shimmer in the air nearby as 5 muscled warriors stepped out from nowhere. The process seemed similar to what each of you had gone through, but the portal lingered for a moment longer, bathing each of the warriors in a pale, unearthly light.

 As their bodies coalesced into their final forms, they banged their right hands to their chests in unison and bowed, first to Morien and then to Wisla.


 Morien made a similar gesture before speaking in a language that most of you likely have never heard (anyone who can speak Norsca or who can make an Int check (DC 15) can try to piece together what he said.) while gesturing to Wisla.

 One of them nods. "I am Erikur of Yorvyngald and these are my four brothers. We swore an eternal oath to serve Lord Morien in his quest to save our people."

 However, they all raised eyebrows in unison at Wisla's request. When they looked at Morien, he nodded. "Do as she asks. Our current mission is one meant to garner goodwill. I must acquire Arcanthis before I can restore Valhalla."

 Their faces showed a mix of emotions as their hesitance was covered by a dark cloud, then a nod of grim understanding. "I understand. It will be done, my lord."

 Each of the burly warriors scoops up a child with a smile, while Erikur takes point. They seem ready to depart.
Floki
 player, 53 posts
 My name is Floki ..
 Just Floki ..
Mon 14 Jan 2019
at 09:46
Aftermath (0.0.3)
OOC: Hadnt gotten a chance to find languages (Int bonus once) Floki, coming out of the north would "probably" speak it, and will have Imperial as his bonus language. So you can talk to the little barbarian *InsertLaughHere*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Floki hadnt seen the strange Master give Wisla such a horn. Not that he would think worse of it. Afterall, it was the choice of a man. The sound the horn made however moved his heart. As if it was alife, once again. It was beautiful. Then .. seeing the warriors take shape Floki gasped. Not that he reckognized one of the five. Still, they wore tattoos and scars only worthy of great warriors. Once children had been lifted, Floki approaches one.

(Norsca) "Have you seen my beautifull Helga. Please say you have. If you go .. back .. tell her I miss her terrible. And that I am sorry I was unable to shield her from the fire .."
Arashi
 player, 98 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 43/49 AC:19 Init+6
Mon 14 Jan 2019
at 14:22
Aftermath (0.0.3)
Even the monk felt moved by the magical energies of the horn. Instruments were never of particular interest back at the monastery so he had always felt compelled to listen to the few musicians blessed with the "gift". In his short travels he had heard rumors of the power of music; how the right notes in the right order could perform feats beyond mortal man. It seemed that these rumors were true as these warriors appear from nothing, as if they were drawn to the low, almost mournful sound.

He stood adjacent to the new group as they spoke to his Lord in their foreign tongue and shifted his weight awkwardly as he waited for Wisla to give the order to move out.
Manofdusk
 GM, 121 posts
 GM Golem
Tue 15 Jan 2019
at 02:55
Aftermath (0.0.3)
 Erikur looked at Floki with a smile. "I'm sorry, my friend. We dwell on Isla Morta in the land of the dead. None who do not die a warrior's death may enter."
Wisla
 player, 109 posts
Tue 15 Jan 2019
at 03:25
Aftermath (0.0.3)
Wisla watches the exchanged with interest. Though she isn't even sure what was said. She feels exhausted and her mind doesn't even register the conversation between the Barbarians and Morien.

Wisla moves up next to  Erikur as the group prepares to depart, "Thank you and your brothers for the Aid. If we have the chance I would desire to hear some of the stories of the battle you have fought in."

After people start to show signs of being ready to move, "Floki please lead the way to the fruit tree. We will get those supplies and then make haste to town. Lets get moving."
Floki
 player, 54 posts
 My name is Floki ..
 Just Floki ..
Tue 15 Jan 2019
at 08:48
Aftermath (0.0.3)
Floki listened to the Northman Erikur of Yorvyngald. The man had most likely died years before the spark on Odins anvil breathed life in the shell that now was his. Nodding solemly. "Thank you .. kinsman, may one day we all die as warriors so the gates to Vahalla open up. And we can feast at the table of the gods once more" Floki thinking back at the Norsemans words. Perhaps it was because there was not a real fight to die in that had send him to such an empty place. Perhaps this here was a chance at redemption.

Hearing Wisla .. Floki turned "Yes, offcourse .. I shall lead the way." placing his hammer at his side Floki motioned to the others to follow up

"Do not wander, keep your eyes sharp. There might not be a goblin today that attacks us. But there still are many beasts in the wild"
Tavi
 player, 70 posts
Tue 15 Jan 2019
at 17:32
Aftermath (0.0.3)
Tavi put his arm around Floki as they walked, "You will see her again, keep bright the fire of hope as it will burn away the dark. Keeping her close to your thoughts may even make bright your path given time." Hopefully a cheer Tavi went back to distracting kids with witty stories.
Floki
 player, 55 posts
 My name is Floki ..
 Just Floki ..
Wed 16 Jan 2019
at 09:54
Aftermath (0.0.3)
Not being used to have a hand on his shoulder Floki flinched for a moment, though seeing it was the 'man-sized' version of Tavi he relaxed soon after. "Thank you Tavi, my friend. I shall certainly keep these words at heart" thinking, that .. "Close enough, to where my beating heart once was"

"How was that hags head, any ..?" Floki asked with mild amused intrest.
Tavi
 player, 71 posts
Thu 17 Jan 2019
at 04:59
Aftermath (0.0.3)
Tavi shrugged, "Tastes like baby powder and bad meat. Slight undertones of fungi. All in all I do not encourage eating a hag but that was the crocodile. Curse is a curse, is a curse."
Manofdusk
 GM, 122 posts
 GM Golem
Fri 18 Jan 2019
at 01:40
Aftermath (0.0.3)
 Erikur nods, motioning for Floki to take the lead. "Very well. I suppose I'll tell you about the Great War. Most people seem to have forgotten about it by now.

 When the Frost Demons first invaded, our village was one of the first to be destroyed. There weren't that many at the time so most of the villagers managed to escape... but, with each attack, the enemy's numbers grew. My brothers and I were forced to flee from village to village to escape the advancing horde.

 I was eleven at the time. Broggy was 10, Van was 8, and the twins were 4. We ended up fleeing south with a train of Norscan refugees and we stayed in the cities for ten years before we heard rumors of the Frost Lord of the North, driving the demons back.

 We had nothing tying us to the city, so we made our way back north and that was the first time we met Morien. He had already build a small fort city and many Norscans had already begun to rally under his banner. Van and the twins stayed behind for the first 4 years of the war, but I was trained and sent into battle.

 Our enemies were creatures of cold, claws, and fangs. They fought viciously and, I'll admit, I was killed in my very first fight against them... but then I heard a voice calling out to me to return and I woke up back at camp. After that, all my fear was gone. I was still killed several times... but, each time, I learned a little more and soon I was standing shoulder to shoulder with the veterans.

 We cut through our enemies and, town by ruined town, we retook our homeland. However, about midway through the war, I was taken out of active combat. One of the Valkyr found me teaching my brothers how to fight and put me in charge of training the new recruits."

Arashi
 player, 99 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 43/49 AC:19 Init+6
Fri 18 Jan 2019
at 17:21
Aftermath (0.0.3)
Arashi strolled with the group letting his guard down as he silently smiled to himself. He was certain that he could handle anything in these woods and the norsemen's foreign chatter reminded him of the monks and their parables. While Common was the language spoken at his monastery, the monks tended to have their teachings be so cryptic as to be a language in its own right; a language Arashi never quite grew fluent in.

Still, it was nice to be among his own kind, even if there was a language barrier. Arashi had a feeling that people like Floki and himself communicated best when they let their weapons of choice do the talking.
Manofdusk
 GM, 123 posts
 GM Golem
Tue 22 Jan 2019
at 05:14
Aftermath (0.0.3)
 The group found the fruit tree and, after a few minutes of scavenging, had enough food for the kids to eat on the way home. The burly one of the group, Broggy, picked up where Erikur left off. "We fought hard during the war. Many of us clashed with the Imperials, who had claimed the north as their land but did nothing to drive the monsters away.

 However, once peace had returned to certain regions, the Imperials wanted to come back in and claim 'right to rule'. It almost turned into a war on two fronts... and probably would have if the Old Lady hadn't shown up and claimed our southern border as her own. Despite our complaints, Morien gave the Old Lady that territory and we focused all of our forces on the frost demons to the east.

  and then, one night we found their main army. All of their forces that we had routed time and again, gathered in one place. Each and every one of us sang as we marched into battle that day... and we made them pay. For every drop of blood they spilled, for every soul they took, for every house they burned, we made them pay.

  and, at the crack of dawn, we saw it in their eyes. Fear. We had won the day and we chased them all the way to their hellspawn pit."


"We set up guard at the portal and, for a time, there was peace... but peace brought with it its own problems. Our soldiers started to get restless. Immortal warriors with no one to fight? It is a recipe for disaster... so Morien contacted all of the soldiers who still felt the urge to fight and bound them to these magical horns to give as gifts to those he wished to curry favor with.

  and so many of us were away when Morien was betrayed. The Old Lady's daughter sought to marry Morien and stage a coup', but was declined... so she wooed Arngyr, one of our greatest warriors, instead. However, that was just the opening the Frost Demons had been waiting for. They struck while Arngyr was in the middle of his coup and the Blackfrost Citadel was overrun, Valhalla was destroyed, and all of us that remained were slain."


  and so it was that, on that somber note, the town came into view.
Tavi
 player, 72 posts
Tue 22 Jan 2019
at 05:43
Aftermath (0.0.3)
Talk of an old woman with daughters triggered Tavi's caution but it was something to note. It was also to note their leader was on good terms with her. Given that situation, it would be important later to identify this person.

Tavi clacked his teeth, "Hell is a far cry worse than anything we can come up with on such short notice. People given so hard a time eventually want to give a little back. A place people eventually air out the creative suffering they have such unfettered access to."

He pulled out a single coin and thumped it before he put it to his hear to hear its ring. "Suns getting close enough to be trouble. If I turn into a frog man mid city they will kill me. Best I set up camp out here."
Floki
 player, 56 posts
 My name is Floki ..
 Just Floki ..
Tue 22 Jan 2019
at 11:21
Aftermath (0.0.3)
Floki had been silent for most of the journey, even when they had reached the tree to feed the children. The story the Northmen had summoned. Gave him conflicting emotions that send his mind in a turmoil between sadness and anger. ["Valhalla .. destroyed ?"]
the very idea of such a thing was incomprehensible. the gods would not allow it. Floki shook his head violently

"No .. no, I cannot believe this to be true. The gods themselves would not wish it. Even Loki would not see the halls in ruin." Floki willed it not to be true, but evidence had been there as well. Unless of course if he had not died a warriors death then. Still ["There has to be some explanation for all of this. I have returned, although not quite the former self. I am here. It is because the gods wanted it. This Morien, is a servant of Odin. Yes. That it must be. I have been summoned to restore Vahalla. Yes, it is not destroyed. It is damaged. Yes yes. The door is blocked. I will be a legend and reopen it for all to enter as it was once done."]

Floki felt a rage build that he had experienced fighting the Hag, yet. it was insufficient to release. And besides to whom release it. These here were his companions. Some friends. others not so much. Yet

"What should we do next, who will bring these children into town ?"

Floki looked towards their leader
Wisla
 player, 110 posts
Tue 22 Jan 2019
at 12:49
Aftermath (0.0.3)
Wisla listens to the story as they travel intrigued by the fact the monsters are lead by someone with intelligence. They leaders must be the frost demons. She considered the next move carfully. She had planned to share her story in return. Deciding that was still a priority to share was a kind of bonding, "Tavi if you belive it is best to make camp here please do so. We will all return after the children are safely returned."

She motions for the rest of the group to continue and she begins her own story, "In return for your story I should share my own. I spent my youth mastering the bow of my fathers people. When the chaos beasts came my village was not prepared. I fought at first using bow and magic agaisnt the monsters but I quickly saw there was no chance. So many children were scared and hiding. I gathered them up and we fled to the walled city. Beliving the walls would protect us as the had against the raids of my fathers people. We were of course wrong. I fell when the walls were overcame the littlest of the children standing behind me as I killed as many of the beasts as I could bring down."
Tavi
 player, 73 posts
Wed 23 Jan 2019
at 04:21
Aftermath (0.0.3)
Tavi flinched a bit at Floki's talk about gods. He didn't know the language but he knew the meaning of some things. "Angels still get dragged to hell, succubi still reform their ways and atone, and gods still die. They are still men and women who have passion, fear, and morality."

"Aim your faith on who they are more than the fact they are gods. There are times when even they are powerless, and you have to count on others. Trust me on that one. Loki may not want to see the halls burn, but he may have had no power to change it."


He gave Wisla a bow and started setting up any place he could get shade. It was always dangerous shackling yourself but the last thing anyone needed was a giant man-beast ruining things. "If you would like to bet as to what I turn into tonight, place your bets now before you leave and put up your coin." He stuck out his two toned tongue as he sat down and started writing words around him in the soil.
Floki
 player, 57 posts
 My name is Floki ..
 Just Floki ..
Wed 23 Jan 2019
at 19:39
Aftermath (0.0.3)
The words of Tavi, though his ears heard them. His dead heart did only feel a part of it. Yet it was true. Perhaps in some unholy alliance the gates of hell had openend and even if the gods were immortal. So would these that came from the gates. Nullifying each. It would probably have been a glorious battle. To the end. Floki did take comfort in such.

"Perhaps then .." slapping the now still human shaped man on his shoulder ".. it is up to us to become the new gods and spread our tales across this world that those who die in battle may sit at our table and drink and fight everyday till we are again be called to do battle."

Smiling woofully

"If there was a chanxe I could win this bet I would wager all my gold. But alas, I know not how your curse works. My .. acursed friend. Perhaps one day I will wager gold on that I may know what form you will be held in."

Listening to Wisla "You would have made a fine shieldmaiden, as was Helga. I can hear it from your tales. You may think less of me. As I hail from a different line of men. But perhaps one of these days you will let me raise my hammer beside you." If Tavi decided to set up camp. Floki would remain with him
Manofdusk
 GM, 124 posts
 GM Golem
Wed 23 Jan 2019
at 23:44
Aftermath (0.0.3)
 Erikur nodded and placed his hand on Wisla's shoulder. "I agree. Your story mirrors many of the brave women who sacrificed themselves in our youth. Fighting and dying to protect the next generation, there is no more honourable death than that."

 Broggy smiled. "That's the plan. Our first job as Einherjar will be to restore Valhalla and give those who died in battle a place to rest... then, the real battle resumes once more!"

 Leaving Tavi (and Floki) behind, the group finally manages to enter town, where children are met by their worried parents in tearful embraces. The group are met by smiling faces now, a stark contrast to the welcome they had recieved previously.

 "Thank you! You adventurers have done us a great service! How ever can we repay you?"

 Erikur leans in a little close to Wisla and whispers. "Morien's going to want to use the fort we cleared out and, if I were to guess, the mines too."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:45, Wed 23 Jan 2019.