Return to the Fort (0.0.6)   Posted by Morien.Group: 0
Wisla
 player, 159 posts
Fri 22 Feb 2019
at 11:41
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
She smiles and nods, "I do have good news. Count Harlen, has agreeded to our use of the mine and fort. The Count requested to meet with you. Lord Morien this is Count Harlen he wished to speak with you."
Morien
 GM, 64 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Returns
Sat 23 Feb 2019
at 06:07
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
 Count Harlen stepped out of the group to meet Morien face to face. "I must confess, I wasn't certain what to expect when Wisla told me that you were here... still, I find it hard to believe that the god of death himself has returned to our world."

 Morien raised an eyebrow and paused for a time before he sighed. "I'm not certain what you've heard, Count... but I am just a man, doing my part to make sure that tomorrow is a better place than today."

 Harlen pulls out an amulet and shows it to Morien, though he never removes it from his neck. "Do you recognize this? These were given to the descendants of those who served in the Blackfrost Citadel.

 When the Blackfrost Citadel fell, many refugees crossed the southern border, telling tales of the god of the north, who led the armies of the dead and reopened the gates to the afterlife. The prophesies said he'd come back to save the world."


 Morien smiled and chuckled ever-so-slightly. "Well, it seems my story was twisted with time. I'm sorry to disappoint you, Count, but real life doesn't work like it does in the story books. I tried to fix the things that were broken... and I had a lot of help, but it wasn't enough. The only thing a person can do in those situations is try again and learn from the mistakes of the past."

 Harlen looked at Morien and smiles. "So you're saying that you are the same Morien that vanished 300 years ago?"

 Morien nods and Harlen draws his sword. "If that's the case, then I must insist that you prove it to me. The appearance of a 300 year old god from the legends will cause mass unrest among the populace... and the last thing the empire needs now is civil unrest. I need you to prove to me that you're not just some pretender.

 Show me the power of a god."


 Morien sighs and rubs his forehead with his index and middle finger before turning around. "I'm not going to fight you."

 "I'm going to insist that you do."

 Harlen lunged but Morien had already stepped 30ft away. He half-turned to look at Harlen. "I'm not going to fight you because doing so wouldn't show you what you want to see. I know at least two of my warriors would be thrilled to take you on. I think you will more easily find your answers there.

 Arashi, Jessie... would either of you like to have a short sparring session with Count Harlen?"


 Harlen looks at Morien first, and then to Jessie and Arashi. "And what, exactly, am I supposed to learn from fighting your minions?"

 "You wanted to see the power of a god, didn't you?"

 Morien smirks and Harlen sighs. "Very well, how about I take you both on?"
Jessie
 player, 33 posts
Sat 23 Feb 2019
at 08:01
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
Jessie smiles, bows to both Morien and Harlen and steps forward. She unsheathes her scimitar placing it at chest level, blade towering over her head. The blade pointed outward in a soldier's salute. Then she enters her stance weapon out.

"Am I allowed to drink my potion Commander....er is it 'General' Harlen?"



Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Swift: Enter stances
Move: Moves in front of Harlen, 15ft away from him, draw weapon as part of move
standard: total defense
Free: salute using weapon


This message was last edited by the player at 08:50, Sat 23 Feb.

Morien
 GM, 65 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Returns
Sat 23 Feb 2019
at 09:15
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
 Morien smiles. "Nonlethal only for you two. Count Harlen may still use any method of fighting he chooses."

 Harlen was midway through his blade drawing and shot Morien a quizzical look. "You're handicapping them? Are you certain?"

 "Not all fights are fair in war... but this isn't about winning or losing, is it? This is about satisfying your doubts."

 Harlen smiles and finishes drawing his weapon and then addresses Jessia and Arashi. "I would not normally fight at full strength against a handicapped opponent... but I am curious to see what you are capable of. I am Count Harlen, but you may call me Veris."
Jessie
 player, 35 posts
Sat 23 Feb 2019
at 09:28
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
Jessie smiles. "I relish the challenge Veris. Let us dance."
Jessie's reaction is as quick as quickling.

03:26, Today: Jessie rolled 21 using 1d20+3.  jessie init.

Arashi
 player, 121 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 56/56 AC:21 Init+6
Sat 23 Feb 2019
at 10:03
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
Arashi listened dutifully as the two talked among themselves. He was relieved to hear that his Lord's motivations was ultimately one of good; not that the monk's loyalty was ever in question. Arashi owed Morien and Wisla his current existence, and no matter their goal, he would give his all to help them achieve it; still, the news would help him rest at night from now on. The news of a duel caused Arashi's eyes light up with joy. He had expected unpleasant conversation, maybe even heated arguing over things far beyond the simple monk's mind and interest, but it seemed that was far wiser than Arashi anticipated and understood that sometimes a fight can say far more than a simple chat ever could.

He began to step forward but hesitated; generally it was customary for duels to be between two combatants. He looked mournfully at Jessica; she was recently awoken and not yet tasted battle since and felt the empathetic pangs of having to share that experience with a stranger. Still, orders were orders and the Frost Lord had not corrected Count Veris Harlen's assumption of a two-on-one. Arashi quietly took a spot next to Jessica; he demeanor seemed calm but his eyes never strayed from the Count, and though his arms were at his side, he seemed to exude tension so thick one could slice it in twain.

He waited.

The others drew their weapons and began to take up stances, but not he. The long dead monk patiently waited until all combatants were ready.

NOW! Arashi!

The undead swordsman dashed towards the Count. His hand reached for his blade, but appeared to immediately release it. Two loud clangs of metal erupted from the Count, which hid the monk's curse. Unused to fighting in this manner, Arashi had gotten his form wrong and left himself wide open to attack.

OOC:
Initiative: Today: Arashi rolled 14 using 1d20+6.  Initiative.
Move action: Move to a square adjacent to Harlen
Standard: Dual Crash Strike (Drawing my weapon as part of the strike)
    Today: Arashi rolled 13 using 1d20+6.  Dual Crash Strike First attack: .
    Today: Arashi rolled 15 using 1d20+4.  Dual Crash Strike Second attack:
Free: Sheathe Blade

Manofdusk
 GM, 174 posts
 GM Golem
Sat 23 Feb 2019
at 11:26
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
 Harlen took a step back from the ferocity of Arashi's attack but pivoted on his back heel as Arashi's attacks slipped off his armor harmlessly, he raised his blade and brought it crashing down upon Arashi's back as he tried to recover.

 For the briefest moment, his mind was filled with searing fire and the overwhelming desire to flee but it immediately vanished and, upon inspection, Arashi realized that the strike had barely harmed him at all even though he most definitely felt the blade dig deeply into his body (3 damage).

 Everyone save Arashi could see the brilliant shimmer of light surrounding the blade and the solid strike to his back, along with a searing line of white fire... all of which seemed to do nearly nothing. Veris stared for the briefest moment in shocked surprise.

OOC: will save 28 made on Arashi's behalf (success). Round 2 begins
Jessie
 player, 37 posts
Sat 23 Feb 2019
at 11:34
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
Jessie moves to flank the opponent. Jessie, testing the count, throws a strike to see how the count takes it.


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)

Swift: +4 dodge
MOVE: move to oposite side of Arashi, flanking Count Harlen
Standard: Strike foe

05:29, Today: Jessie rolled 3 using 1d8+1.  unarmed strike damage nonlethal.
05:29, Today: Jessie rolled 19 using 1d20+4.  Fighting defensively+flanking.




This message was last edited by the player at 11:55, Sat 23 Feb.

Arashi
 player, 122 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 53/56 AC:21 Init+6
Sat 23 Feb 2019
at 20:20
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
Arashi noticed Jessica move to the Count's flank. He drew his sword down on the Count and cursed again to himself, even before the blade once again bounced harmlessly off his opponent's armor.

OOC:
Standard Action: Rippling Current Strike: Arashi rolled 13 using 1d20+11.  Rippling Current Strike (+2 flank)
Free Action: Sheathe Weapon, Recover Dual Crash Strike

Erin
 player, 72 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 20/49
Sun 24 Feb 2019
at 01:36
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
Erin watched from atop the wall.  This was stupid.  Just let the Count cut their heads off, raise them back up, done.
Tavi
 player, 102 posts
Sun 24 Feb 2019
at 04:44
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
Tavi smiled at Morien, "Wellll, that's another thing to log on the list of interesting things. Few more bits of info and I'll be able to pull your bacon out of the fire." He sat down and drew out Harlan's name in an odd pictorial form and he started accenting it as he watched the fight.

"That reminds me Morien. Any chance, oh god of death, that you have access to any scrolls from the old true speak libraries? Or even rumors of them? Hell if I know if any are still standing but the bitch had to get her knowledge from someplace."

"How else can I summon the pale rider for you?"
He smiled ear to ear.

"Oye! go guys! Unload on him. He is a count and he can take it!" +2 to attack and damage for our side based on just how hard Tavi is cheering for them... AND NO OTHER REASION.
Morien
 GM, 66 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Returns
Sun 24 Feb 2019
at 06:58
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
 Jessie and Arashi strike from two sides but to no avail, with Arashi's form being thrown off from being forced to hold back and Jessie focusing more on defense than attack.

 Arashi once more found himself on the receiving end of Harlen's blade and once more, though Arashi felt the impact, he felt no pain.

 He glanced at Morien. "What kind of sorcery are you using? I know I've hit him twice already!"

 Morien nodded. "You wanted to see the power of a god, did you not? This is all that I can offer you. I am a shield for those who place their trust in me... and, one day I hope to be able to answer all those who cry out to silent gods for salvation."

 Harlen considers Morien's words as he sheaths his sword and bows his head to Arashi and Jessie. "I think I'm beginning to understand you a bit more... and I sense no deception within you. However, I doubt those in power will take kindly to a religious figure from legend returning in the flesh."

 Morien smiled and placed a firm hand on Wisla's shoulder. "Of course they won't. That's why, for now, we are simply a band of mercenaries, using a crumbling fort as a base while we look for work."

 Harlen grinned. "That's good to hear. I wish you well and hope you do well in your 'work'."

 Morien nodded. "Erin! Please escort Count Harlen back to town. I'm certain he has a long day ahead of him. The rest of you may do as you wish. I still have a few more days before I will be ready to depart."

 Once he had dismissed the others, Morien looked at Tavi. "I'm afraid I never spent much time in libraries. I had a few books, but they were more about politics and trade than anything."
Arashi
 player, 123 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 53/56 AC:21 Init+6
Sun 24 Feb 2019
at 08:15
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
The fight was over? But neither he nor the Count had even broken a sweat! The monk shot a desperate look towards Morien, but it was no use; the Frost Lord was already beginning to explain his plans. With his sword already sheathed, he gave his opponent a reluctant bow and stepped back to let the two talk.
Morien
 GM, 67 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Returns
Sun 24 Feb 2019
at 09:24
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
 As the group disbanded, Morien approached Arashi. "I know you're disappointed, but I hope you understand. Some fights have neither a winner nor a loser. They exist solely to communicate... and besides, four against one wasn't exactly a fair fight.

 Perhaps one day, we can meet Count Harlen under more favorable circumstances and you can have a proper rematch then?"

Wisla
 player, 160 posts
Sun 24 Feb 2019
at 10:46
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
Wisla look at Morien with a confused expression. Rather then say more he considered what to do next, "Now that we are more sure with the Count perhaps I should discuss the leadership for the towns defense forces. They are trained already to fight but have also been trained only to follow. I will return with him and discuss the situation with the town more fully."

Jessie
 player, 38 posts
Sun 24 Feb 2019
at 10:57
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
It happened once more, the enemy couldn't pierce Jessie's defense so they didnt even bother to swing at her. It was the same in the temple. During tests and combat training, the other disciples would complain or give up right at the beginning instead of looking silly missing their target. She let out a sigh, sheathed her sword bowing to Morien, Harlen, and Arashi.

Jessie knew in a real fight she wouldn't have to show pleasantries to a high ranking officer to make them 'feel' special. Her comrades would see how much she could assist them soon. But while proud in her defense, she didn't let it go to her head having died once before.
Erin
 player, 73 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 20/49
Sun 24 Feb 2019
at 17:53
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
Without reply, Erin descended from her perch to intercept the envoy.
Tavi
 player, 103 posts
Sun 24 Feb 2019
at 18:30
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
"Harlan." Tavi looked up from his drawing of Harlan's real name. "If you get the time, please send me a letter of your accounting on the barrier. The gods are not silent, we may yet find ears to her and tongues to speak. But much knowledge will be needed to craft the word. Any little speck of history helps."
Arashi
 player, 124 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 53/56 AC:21 Init+6
Sun 24 Feb 2019
at 19:13
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
Arashi nodded at Morien's words. He wondered if the Frost Lord was actually looking forward to fighting this Count or was simply trying to put the old monk at ease. He pushed the thought away; what was done was done. There were other fights, and Arashi learned enough in this one to be satisfied.
Morien
 GM, 68 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Returns
Sun 24 Feb 2019
at 20:20
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
 Morien smiled at Wisla. "Thanks to your handling of things in town, we have been afforded a convenient cover story and allow us to prevent unrest as we travel.
 As for the town, I believe that too many leaders will only confuse people. Try to keep your maximum to one leader per five soldiers and establish a firm chain of command if you can in the next two days."


 Count Harlen waved at Tavi. "Will do."

 As the group began to tend to their own affairs, Morien returned to his carving.
Tavi
 player, 104 posts
Mon 25 Feb 2019
at 04:41
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
Tavi sighed as he pulled a device out of his back frame and walked over to Morian and offered the 'any tool' device. "Take it from me, how you make things down can count just as much as the marking itself."

"Planning a trip?"

Morien
 GM, 69 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Returns
Mon 25 Feb 2019
at 07:48
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
 Morien took the tool with a nod. "Something like that. I left instructions behind in the event that I died. If all went according to plan, then our current mission will be much easier. I'd rather not get anyone's hopes up regarding the details before I know for sure though."

 He paused for a long moment, as if trying to gather the nerve to ask an uncomfortable question. "You were talking about summoning the Pale Rider earlier. Could... could you contact War instead? It... it would be nice to see her again."

 He shut his eyes and shook his head. "No... no, nevermind. Forget I asked."
Tavi
 player, 109 posts
Thu 28 Feb 2019
at 02:56
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
Tavi walked a little ways away from the fort and started drawing his circle in the dirt again. He couldn't travel to the land of the dead so he was going to get some work done. And if he could give Morien a gift for his hard work then it would be little side bonus.

He drew out the words that are things more than words that forged Moriens target. This time, however, he set up a number of alchemical surprises around the circle. If Feather Tits sent him another ambush the resulting fireball would be seen for a long way.

He set the circle, shed the blood of heaven and hell, a thread of hair and called out. "Loved one, rider, dancer, do you have time for a conversation to ease the heart of the once king?"
Manofdusk
 GM, 179 posts
 GM Golem
Thu 28 Feb 2019
at 03:17
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
 Tavi listened, but heard only the faint echoes of silence for the longest time. However, finally he heard a sound, distant and distorted by countless echoes until no meaning could be gleaned from the noise.

 The echoes were drown out by the rushing sound of something else approaching. He managed to cut off the connection before taking the full brunt of contact. Despite that, he was still knocked over, a rush of nausea overtook him and he began to vomit.

 From within him, emerged a writhing mass of teeth and eyes, covered in gore from ripping at his throat as it passed.
Tavi
 player, 110 posts
Thu 28 Feb 2019
at 03:32
Return to the Fort (0.0.6)
Tavi pulled out his talon, severed what was left and started trotting away as he went ahead and let the fire and explosives do their work. He had a lot to think about at the moment and no details to really go on.