The Journey Begins (1.0.0)   Posted by Manofdusk.Group: 0
Manofdusk
 GM, 182 posts
 GM Golem
Mon 4 Mar 2019
at 05:07
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 With introductions out of the way, the group filed out through the portal and found that, despite Zenobia not having a physical body in the Realm of the Dead, one was conjured for her the moment she stepped through the portal.

 Once through, they found Tavi lying on a patch of scorched ground moaning in discomfort.
Tavi
 player, 115 posts
Mon 4 Mar 2019
at 05:16
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Tavi was laying flat on the ground splayed out with a bomb shoved into his mouth. There was a note stabbed into his chest. "This is Tavi writing this. Light the fuse, run, then resurrect me as fast as you can. I cant move, corruption."
Zenobia
 player, 5 posts
 Enchantress
 Owl Familiar
Mon 4 Mar 2019
at 23:32
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 Zenobia followed the others through the portal, with a touch of apprehension as she had never used it before. On the other side she appeared as a woman of flesh and bone, she had an air of great beauty only recently waned, but with a terrible sadness on her face.

More surpsisingly or perhaps just more noticeably, a bird had appeared on her shoulder. It was just there, as naturally as if it had always been there: a white barn owl of ghostly white plumage, with narrow black eyes observing in the distance.

Both the witch and her bird immediately took notice of the grisly display on the scorched ground. While for some the first instinct would have been to assist the man in his dire situation, she first wondered what he had done and to whom to deserve being treated thus. She did not come closer to read the note, but simply asked: “Is the man a friend of yours?
  Her incarnated voice was much warmer, deep and just slightly raspy - a voice you instantly wanted to listen to.

 Zenobia looked around and found the world depressingly dull and grey. She had imagined coming back, and expected to find joy and colour that were lacking in the land of the dead... but something was off.
Jessie
 player, 49 posts
Tue 5 Mar 2019
at 04:45
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Jessie raised her left eyebrow. "I must admit, he is definitely an acquaintance of mine. However, this is a first I've seen of this behavior. Nor do I know his handwriting. BUT!" Jessie exclaims as she claps then rubs her hands together. "I've been looking forward to learning how to use my abilities. SO, Tavi, I hope you really wrote that letter."

Jessie ignites the fuse and lets Tavi explode. She is apalled at the mess it makes but then vigorously works to figure out how to use her gift to bring him back. Hopefully, she is at least able to make the ability work.

OOC: Painless Passing ( 1d8 temp HP and +2 enh to str), resurrect any Einherjar.

Tavi
 player, 116 posts
Tue 5 Mar 2019
at 05:03
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
The charge he had stuffed into his mouth was a demolition charge so when it went, it went hard. It was about the fastest way Tavi had to go and that meant it was an easy passing.

Visions for Jessie!:

Tavi yanked into the living world just like last time, in a burst of feathers and a warcry. This time he had a partly cooked Peacock in his hand, his fist locked in place strangling the thing. "Fuckers know I am here." He squeezed hard enough to break its neck causing it to blow up in a poof of more feathers.

His tongue sizzled just as when he had burned the hag last time. "Thanks for the assist. I tried to contact one of the old riders. Corruption found out and tried to get me. But I did learn more than my fair share of info." He took a long sigh to cool down. "Did you bring me back something nice?"
Manofdusk
 GM, 184 posts
 GM Golem
Tue 5 Mar 2019
at 06:46
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
PM

This message was last edited by the player at 06:49, Tue 05 Mar 2019.

Arashi
 player, 129 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 56/56 AC:21 Init+6
Tue 5 Mar 2019
at 14:32
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
The monk was alarmed when he first exited the portal and looked around for Tavi's assailants while the rest looked after him. His disappointment was palpable when he realized that this was not an attack, but instead a mishap of some arcane ritual or trick.

He waited along with the others for the creature that was Tavi to expire and be brought back. He noticed the bird that appeared on Zenobia's shoulder. He was not as worldly as he would like and his time at the monastery did not leave much time to study the local wildlife, much less the more exotic fauna of the region. He thought back to Tavi's earlier request and would normally have left the feathered creature to Jessica but she was occupied at the moment. He pondered how his approach should be. Should he be upfront and just ask the stranger? It was possible that she would lie. No, he would have to use his clandestine abilities to trick her into speaking the truth!

If you need something from somebody always give that person a way to hand it to you.

That particular saying had always gone over Arashi's head. He pointed at the the bird and asked Zenobia his carefully constructed question. "Is that a peacock?" His words were nonchalant; odd given the circumstances, and he could not quite hide the malevolence in his eyes.

Subtle
Jessie
 player, 50 posts
Tue 5 Mar 2019
at 19:45
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
In reply to Manofdusk (msg # 6):

PM

This message was last edited by the player at 20:22, Tue 05 Mar 2019.

Zenobia
 player, 7 posts
 Enchantress
 Owl Familiar
Tue 5 Mar 2019
at 23:38
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Zenobia likewise kept her distances from the explosion and the ritual, instead focusing on the surroundings and the potential dangers about. The white-feathered bird, perched at the top of her twisted waking stick, was on the lookout.

The interest and query of the monk came as a pleasant if puzzling distraction.
  “No... no, it isn’t a peacock... she is an owl, and my guide in the land of the living.”

 “Have you seen many peacocks before, mister Naru?”


 She was curious as to how one would confuse the two birds... unless one had never encountered either before —but then why even ask? She concluded that there had to be a hidden meaning behind the inane question, and grew intrigued and interested.

Zenobia rolled 29 using d20+15. Perception

This message was last edited by the player at 23:42, Tue 05 Mar 2019.

Wisla
 player, 169 posts
Wed 6 Mar 2019
at 03:23
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla was trying to figure out another method to help Tavi when someone else did the killing. After he was raised she considered his words carfully, "Morien is sending us to find Baba Yaga. He gave us a note to introduce us and get us in."
Tavi
 player, 117 posts
Wed 6 Mar 2019
at 03:36
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Tavi's normally happy go lucky, can't be bothered by anything, attitude drained out of him at the mention of Baba Yaga. His tone turned calm and deep as he carefully measured his words. He sounded almost afraid to his very core like she told him the world was perishing. "Are you very sure he said Baba Yaga? I can pray we run into spring... but if we run into winter that is going to be a very bad ending."

"May I see his Missve?"

Wisla
 player, 170 posts
Wed 6 Mar 2019
at 03:40
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla handed Tavi the missive, "He said Baba Yaga." She points to her scorpion, "He is sure she doesnt exist"
Tavi
 player, 118 posts
Wed 6 Mar 2019
at 03:54
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Tavi took the missive and didn't even open it. He put the end of the thing up to his nose and sniffed at it. "Blood, delightful." He spoke a word to the paper just to make sure there was no way in hell it would be damaged. The same word Wisla had heard him say to stone so his anchors for the chains couldn't be pulled up if he couldn't control himself.

He looked at the little scorpion. He did decide that it looked smart enough to understand him without him having to use his beast speech. "She is real, and she is strong enough to kill us and keep us dead. She is the threefold woman, and even if we run into her Springtime self she will still be dangerous."

He gave Wisla a concerned look. "As my commanding officer, I will ask you let me enter her abode first. If I say to do something near her home, what I say must be done quickly and without hesitation. Lastly, if I tell you to run you cannot wait for me. If she kills me there is a chance I can get away, but I cant if she kills everyone."

"And this is a woman who will kill us all if it fits her fancy. I know I am being a bit dramatic but this is a Granny who can't be overestimated."

"If you are good with all that I can take you there, she just moved her house and it's going to be a long trip."

Wisla
 player, 171 posts
Wed 6 Mar 2019
at 04:31
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla nods to the warrior, "You are the expert on this topic. If you need to take point I will trust your judgement."
Tavi
 player, 119 posts
Wed 6 Mar 2019
at 04:49
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Tavi inclined his head to Wisla. "Thank you for your trust in this. Everyone will need a small pouch of grain infused with their blood. Outside of that pack for a long trip, and make sure we have at least one set of climbing gear. We set out at your leisure. Unless she moves again it won't be too bad."
Manofdusk
 GM, 185 posts
 GM Golem
Wed 6 Mar 2019
at 07:52
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 The group made their preparations and began their journey. The first few days mattered little. The journey was primarily south either way, but a fork in the road soon presented them with a choice.

 The map they had said that the eastern path would take them to a port, where they could likely buy passage across the shores, bypassing most of Qu-Len. The other path lead south, where they would need to cross two mountain ranges and three rivers on their trek through the wooded nation of the elves.

 Of course, there was always a risk that no one would take them if they went to the port, so they'd waste at least a week's travel on foot.

OOC: okay, choice time! Do you want a moderate sized nautical adventure or a hike across two mountain ranges and through the hostile wilderness of the elves?
Zenobia
 player, 8 posts
 Enchantress
 Owl Familiar
Wed 6 Mar 2019
at 15:04
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 Zenobia was very interested in the resurrection process inflicted upon Tavi. She had enough understanding of social conventions to not state or pry, but she made a note I politely ask about it later. From Morien she had received that power too, but she had never had to actually use it — which was for the best as she wouldn’t really know where to start.

 When the alchemist explained their journey and described the end goal of their journey, she decided it was as good a time as any to introduce herself.
  “She is all that and much more. Some would grace her with an divine epithet — which she would likely hate.”
 “I call her my Grandmother and my Queen.”

 “I am Zenobia — and I would offer to do introductions with Baba Yaga.”


She didn’t yet comment on the his request for some of her blood — but she suspected there would be plenty of time for vivid conversations with the alchemist later on.
Arashi
 player, 131 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 56/56 AC:21 Init+6
Wed 6 Mar 2019
at 16:00
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Arashi gave Zenobia a knowing nod, the same one he had given his masters countless times. "Ahh." He mused as she imparted her wisdom upon him. The woman had clearly fallen for his diplomatic espionage so the monk had little reason to doubt her, and besides; what she said had made sense, he had seen some of the feathers that had been affiliated with Tavi but was unsure if these "peacocks" could change their colors or shapes, especially in this current age.

He answered her question truthfully "No, during my life I had not seen many animals."

His eyes glazed over when the conversation turned to some strange powerful woman. From what little he paid attention to he doubted that she was any kind of swords(wo)man and yet another woman devoted to the miracles and wonders of the arcane. He had not heard the name at all, and thought nothing of Wisla's informant's information conflicting with Tavi's. From what stories circulated in the monastery and small towns he had visited before his demise, Arashi knew that most practitioners or the arcane tended to be secretive or dangerous or both.

"I have no grain." He said plainly, he supposed that they could purchase some from the nearby town, but it was also possible that Tavi came fully stocked with these Baba Yaga wards.

Upon glancing at the map with the others he had intended to wait for the others to speak before him but was unable to hold his tongue. "We should take the southern path." He provided no explanation and assumed he didn't need one. It was very likely that the mortals would be unhelpful if not outright hostile so it would probably be a waste of time to head East. The southern path, however, provided ample opportunity for Arashi to test out his new maneuvers and perhaps he could learn something from the elves; he had always wished to visit them in life, after all.
Erin
 player, 79 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 20/49
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 00:15
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Erin added nothing to their selection of paths.  She expected their general to point out the obvious.  There was no choice.
Wisla
 player, 174 posts
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 03:03
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla considers what potions have been layed out and shares hers as well, "I agree with Arashi. The southern route seems our best option. We can take advantage of our abilities to run forver to enhance the speed of our crossing. If we stop in a town and find someone that knows the Spider Climb spell I could cast spider climb and allow us to quickly setup rope to make climbs much easier and faster. That means we only need to slow down to a walk when i run out of magic to help us climb. I dont really understand what advantages there are to taking the sea route. It seems we open ourselves up to discovery and I cant take advantage of our unique abilities."
Erin
 player, 80 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 20/49
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 03:26
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Erin shrugged, the obvious choice.  No amount of gold would convince a Captain to allow Tavi passage after that first night.  It would have been a waste of their time to try.
Manofdusk
 GM, 188 posts
 GM Golem
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 05:20
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 With the decision made, the group began their hustle, allowing them to make good time, stopping only when it was time for Tavi to transform. This night, he became a giant hamster.

 Morning came and they made good time, needing to neither eat nor rest. They made good time for several days before they approached a small village at the foot of the mountain.
Jessie
 player, 53 posts
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 09:12
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Jessie spent her time during the travels trying to befriend the new entity, Zenobia. As well as discuss random battle tactics with Arashi.

Upon the small village coming into view Jessie speaks up to the group. "Are we pressing through or going around? I feel like our presence would perturb nearly everyone there."
Arashi
 player, 135 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 56/56 AC:21 Init+6
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 19:25
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Jessica found Arashi polite but taciturn, only becoming chatty when the topics involved dueling or fighting styles. It became obvious that although the man served the Frost Lord as a soldier, he seemed ill suited for conventional warfare; he had little to no experience with regiments, leadership, or battlefield tactics. In fact, he seemed to know little more than the average peasant and would often become distracted to admire particularly beautiful or eye-catching locations and often voted for (but never brought up) any breaks or stops to their trek.

Jessica made an excellent point.

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest, Arashi

Arashi remembered his masters' soft, wise, words. "Perhaps we should run by the village; if it is in any danger we would be able to help. If it is dead, we could gain knowledge of the local dangers. If it is fine, we will know the area is at least mildly safe."
Erin
 player, 82 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 20/49
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 20:20
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
"I think we should ask if there are any threats about," Erin suggested.  "We explain we've been hired by the Empire to deal with them.

"As long as we don't forget to breath and blink, no one will be the wiser.  And of course, not stay overnight or hold anyone's hand."
  She looked pointedly at Tavi.

Erin wondered if the Dreadlord had negotiated a writ of some kind and given it to Wisla.  It would be more convincing.
Jessie
 player, 54 posts
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 21:33
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Erin:
"I think we should ask if there are any threats about," Erin suggested.  "We explain we've been hired by the Empire to deal with them.

"As long as we don't forget to breath and blink, no one will be the wiser.  And of course, not stay overnight or hold anyone's hand."
  She looked pointedly at Tavi.

Erin wondered if the Dreadlord had negotiated a writ of some kind and given it to Wisla.  It would be more convincing.

"Why Erin, you don't want to hold my hand? I'm so hurt. They're just as cold as yours." She laughs to herself but agrees. She is ready to move ever forward.

OOC: I don't actually know if our body temps are cold, just guessing.
Zenobia
 player, 12 posts
 Enchantress
 Owl Familiar
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 21:39
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 Zenobia has many questions for the alchemist, who seemed very knowledgable on the subject of witchcraft. She kept those to herself for the time being, and ventured her opinion on journey plans.
  “Sea travel seemed like a safer option than travels through the land of elves... they will try and kill us on sight if they can tell we are denizens of the afterlife...”

 “I suppose it will make for interesting interactions...”
she added as they started moving towards the mountain range.

 * * *

As they approached the first village on their route, she simply stated:
  “Best remain unseen... but if we are stopping in the village, I can scout ahead...”
Tavi
 player, 121 posts
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 21:50
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
As they traveled Tavi walked off the path, any time he came to a bit of long grass he took the seed stem and plucked the grains from it. Before long he had a number of tiny bags of the stuff. The monk got the first one, "Ask and it shall be provided. If we run into her before time Kneel, break the cord of the bag, and hold up the grain as offering to her. Don't talk to her at all, It is best to wear it about your neck."

When it came to the town. "Good to poke about. Even then we may be sure to look about for any sign of corruption. People do silly things and they could be trying to help someone being corrupted."

"Better Safe than sory."

Wisla
 player, 177 posts
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 04:13
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Listens to the discussion, "Yes I think checking on the village. WE should also keep our eye out for spider climb spell. It would be worth picking it up if we can."
Manofdusk
 GM, 190 posts
 GM Golem
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 04:47
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 The village at the base of the mountain ended up being quite the trading hub, with elves, dwarves, and humans all mingling. It had the appearance of being a relatively new settlement, with many buildings still under construction

 There was an energy here that the group had not seen at the other settlement. Coin changed hands freely here, though the town had been divided into three "districts" (elven, dwarven, and human) seemingly more out of personal preference than anyone's attempt to force the issue.

 The sounds of crafting mix with the calls of vendors and the smells of cross-cultural foods. It would likely have made you hungry if you needed to eat. Still, none of you had forgotten the urge to taste foods and the smells made all of you salivate.
Jessie
 player, 55 posts
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 05:06
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Jessie smells the sweet scents of food walking through the air to invite her over to a table. She had not had roasted duck in over 300 years and the smells of delicious foods swept her off her feet. Alas, she had not come here for that. She hard the sounds of metal clanking between anvil and blacksmith hammers. She looked at her gear and felt severely under dressed for adventuring.

"Wisla, would you allow Zenobia and I to travel the smith shops?"
Zenobia
 player, 14 posts
 Enchantress
 Owl Familiar
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 16:40
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 Zenobia was still figuring out group dynamics. There was lots she should still learn from the unusual party of heroes brought back from the afterlife. They were -to say the least- an unlikely team to be in charge of protecting the realm of the living from the advance of Chaos.

 Visiting the town was an excellent idea, she thought. Surely the risk of descending into madness would be limited.

  "I can subtly investigate whether there are practitioners of witchcraft around the town. And maybe learn that spell from them — or other mobility spells, actually."
Erin
 player, 85 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 49/49
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 18:15
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
"I'll go find the mayor or whatever authority they have here," Erin said.  "I'll see if they've had any contact with the chaos." 

From the looks of the town, it looked as though the chaos had yet to reach them.
Wisla
 player, 179 posts
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 07:15
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla pulls out some Quarts and looks around the group, "We will need someone to sell the Quartz. There was a decent amount of gold from the defeat of the witch. We can divide it up amoungst those involved with an additional share for group funds for equipment are spells that are shared. I could also see just using the funds as a group store to keep everyone armed and armored as needed."
Jessie
 player, 56 posts
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 07:26
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla:
Wisla pulls out some Quarts and looks around the group, "We will need someone to sell the Quartz. There was a decent amount of gold from the defeat of the witch. We can divide it up amoungst those involved with an additional share for group funds for equipment are spells that are shared. I could also see just using the funds as a group store to keep everyone armed and armored as needed."



Jessie wrinkles her nose at being ignored and the statement just made. "I was not involved in whatever you all did. But I can tell you, any money I do earn, I would not be okay with anyone but me holding. There is a teaching from my temple. 'Believe in the good of others, but don't forget to lock your door.' Please note, I would be more than happy to help someone out but that should be my choice. You holding my earnings or taxing them for a group fund wouldn't be my choice. There isn't really a need for a group fund in our case. We don't eat, require any real shelter, have maintenance or upkeep on our selves, and we don't sleep. And I don't wear armor. I understand others might or do, but I still disagree STRONGLY with option two. Please just split things evenly and fairly. As we were all called back to serve Morien, I'm sure we will help each other out as needed when needed."
Arashi
 player, 137 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 56/56 AC:21 Init+6
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 12:25
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Attachment; one of the three unwholesome roots. Take care Arashi, for it will lead Samsara.

Arashi looked down to his sword and immediately empathized with Jessica. He had not owned much in his lifetime, but even his death could not break the bond he had with the weapon that chose him. It was his attachment that had led him to his end, and his attachment that had caused him so much suffering before he was brought back. The monk pushed the memories and feelings away; when he had been first reanimated he was overwhelmed by his instincts, and charged headlong into the first creature that looked remotely hostile, but now he was more himself, more in control.

He left the group.

He felt it was best to silently leave them to their discussion and began a slow stroll towards the village. He assumed that when Wisla needed him, she would not be far. Instead he focused on his own pace and was careful to enjoy every step, keeping an eye out for local flora and fauna that would catch his eye.
Erin
 player, 86 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 49/49
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 17:28
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Erin left in search of a town hall or military establishment.
Manofdusk
 GM, 194 posts
 GM Golem
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 21:57
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 With the other two leaving, that had whittled those present down to three: Jessie, Wisla, and Tavi… though currently Wisla had all of the valuables (though Tavi seemed to have grabbed most of the more macabre items in the fort).
Zenobia
 player, 15 posts
 Enchantress
 Owl Familiar
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 22:22
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 Zenobia went towards the mercantile part of town, but her interest lied else where. If she were to find a fellow witch — whether a brother or a sister— she would need to delve a bit deeper. And no doubt, once she found one, they would recognise her true nature, but they would also quite likely be a lot more forgiving, maybe accepting of it.

 She began her journey with herb dealers, alchemists, apothecaries, dealers of arcane or esoteric mysteries. Now maybe a small mountain town would not have to all of that, but surely there would be some of it. If it proved unfruitful, she could always move on to the healers, medicine givers, or even hint that she required the services of a clandestine angel maker... Witches were usually not very far behind —if at all present in the area, that was.

 Soon enough he natural charms worked the way it used to when she was still a thing of warm flesh and vivid blood... people started telling her what she needed to hear. She let the more martially inclined visit the blacksmiths, while she pursued her arcane endeavours.

 Zenobia rolled 28 using 1d20+14.  diplomacy(gather info: where the local witch?)
Tavi
 player, 122 posts
Tue 12 Mar 2019
at 00:34
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Tavi nodded and indicated that he had a way with words and would take the opportunity to sell all the crystals as Wisla needed. (Diplomacy: 36 total if he takes his time.)

"After I sell stuff for you, you can find me at the local library looking for more words. "
Manofdusk
 GM, 195 posts
 GM Golem
Tue 12 Mar 2019
at 00:44
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 Despite Zenobia's best efforts, she could not find any witches in this town. There were hedge wizards, plying their smatterings of magic (and most of your leads led there) but, in the end, she was led on a wild goose chase around town for several hours.

 And, as Tavi left, only Wisla and Jessie remained. Despite any protests they may have made, the group had still left Wisla with the entire sum of gold she had looted from the fort.
Jessie
 player, 57 posts
Tue 12 Mar 2019
at 02:33
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Having said what she needed to, and everyone else venturing off, she does the same. She heads out for the smiths to see if she could barter services.
Zenobia
 player, 16 posts
 Enchantress
 Owl Familiar
Wed 13 Mar 2019
at 07:38
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Zenobia was evidently disappointed, but certainly not surprised that there was no sister of hers in the area. They were after all a rare occurrence in most societies. They were also a secretive kind, and if a witch had decided she would not be found, she very likely wouldn’t. There was still a chance, she thought, that an elusive witch will have heard of her search and may come to her.

 In the meantime she went back to the smiths, in search of Jessie.
  “You do not look like the type who relies on grand swords or thick armour... I am curious as to what you need from the craftsmen.” she said when she found the monk.
Jessie
 player, 58 posts
Wed 13 Mar 2019
at 07:56
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Jessie smiles nonchalantly. "Indeed I do not need them. My body is not only a temple but a weapon. There are just nice little things my master taught me that I would like to employ. It helps me feel close to him. Although we aren't supposed to get close to our masters in the temple, he felt like a father to me. I always imagined he felt like I was his daughter and just tried his best not to show it." She said as she stared out into a small daze. She recollected herself in shame.


"Forgive me, I was looking for a Kusarigama and a tonfa. But I was hoping to get a tonfa made of iron or steel instead of wood. More protection in the technique."
Manofdusk
 GM, 197 posts
 GM Golem
Thu 14 Mar 2019
at 03:10
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
OOC: Zenobia and Jesie to Mountain Trader if you're looking for a smith
Wisla
 player, 180 posts
Fri 15 Mar 2019
at 01:27
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
As very few people express opinion and none of those who are due a share of the last event. Even more so when people already leave she chooses to make her way into town and the library mostly to check in with Tavi and see about negotiating for the spell as well as buying the equipment for a mountain climbing expedition.
Jessie
 player, 62 posts
Sat 23 Mar 2019
at 04:49
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Having failed to setup a barter, Jessie awaits to set out.
Erin
 player, 91 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 49/49
Sat 23 Mar 2019
at 23:15
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Erin returned to report on her findings.  She'd repeat it until all were satisfied.  There really wasn't much to tell.

"It seems these folks have no trouble with the Chaos," she explained.  "The dwarves guard the roads south of here and it will be a few days until we're in elven lands."
Arashi
 player, 139 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 56/56 AC:21 Init+6
Sun 24 Mar 2019
at 06:39
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Arashi quite enjoyed his time among the townsfolk. It was somewhat tempting to pay for a nice meal, but he felt it would be far to glutenous without having to work it off in some way. Besides, he thought to himself, I don't need to eat, why should I indulge myself for the sake of it? The monk hoped he would do his masters proud.

As Erin gave her report the monk nodded in surprise. He had simply assumed that everyone else would be enjoying the break from running and arguing with hostile farm hands, but instead Erin was hard at work. The ethic impressed the monk and his respect for Erin grew and he wondered what kind of person she had been, in her previous life.

Having nothing of his own to report, however, he simply stayed silent and looked to Wisla to give the order to start running again.
Wisla
 player, 197 posts
Tue 26 Mar 2019
at 00:56
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla arrived with a small new bag on her hip and pulled out 3 bags of money attempting to hand one to Tavi, Arashi and Erin, "I went ahead and spent some more then my share and the group fund. I purchesed things to make the trip safer. Each of you 512 gp. We now have three climbers kit 250 feet of additional rope, I can now cast spider climb and Zenobbi can cast Conjure carriage. If anyone needs to use the funds we should do so quickly"
Erin
 player, 93 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 49/49
Tue 26 Mar 2019
at 03:30
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
"I have no need of gold and no church to distribute it," Erin said, ignoring the sack of gold.  "Do with it as you wish but save back five silver for each of our passage along the dwarven toll road to the south."

She didn't eat, didn't sleep, and had no earthly needs.  What good was gold to her now?
Manofdusk
 GM, 210 posts
 GM Golem
Tue 26 Mar 2019
at 04:58
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 And, so it was, after some deliberation and some shopping, the group began their journey anew.

 The road to the south was stone brick and in much better condition than the road to the north. It was flat, strait, and generally pleasant to traverse, wide enough for carriages, and not a single stone brick cracked or damaged.

 A few hours into the trip, they arrived at the toll gate, manned by a hevy set dwarf in full plate armor wielding a halberd sized for him. "Hail and well met."

 He gestures to the sign near him. It is written in several languages but they all read the same.

 "A 5 silver toll per head is levied on all who seek passage by this road, to pay for protection and maintenance."
Arashi
 player, 141 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 56/56 AC:21 Init+6
Tue 26 Mar 2019
at 14:46
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Arashi gave the dwarf a bow and extended two gold pieces with his hand. "May the day bless you with good fortunes." He greeted, using his other hand to indicate that he was paying for Erin, Zenobia, Jessica, and of course, himself.  He wondered if his taxes were going towards the aforementioned Empire that had previously butted heads with the Frost Lord but stayed his tongue. There was no reason to interrupt their travel with his idle curiosities with the world.
Wisla
 player, 199 posts
Fri 29 Mar 2019
at 02:48
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla pulls out a gold and pays for herself and Tavi. "That should be all of us. Thank you."
Manofdusk
 GM, 211 posts
 GM Golem
Fri 29 Mar 2019
at 07:03
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 The dwarf takes the money and opens the lever with a nod. "Enjoy your journey."

 The road was more than anything you'd seen in the empire. It was a stone brick road with benches for resting every so often, food stalls, and even camp sites. The road was busy with travelers, making it impossible to travel the road at a full run, but it was built in such a way as to offer the view of the mountains in their beauty without any of the danger normally involved.

 In a way, it was as if the bustling of the town itself had extended onto the road. However, those sorts of businesses died down as the group travelled, being replaced by small roadside inns and a large increase in elven traffic. Day passed without incident but night would soon fall... and, on a brick road through the mountains heavy with traffic, Tavi's unique condition rapidly became a concern...
Erin
 player, 94 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 49/49
Sat 30 Mar 2019
at 02:31
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
"These people act as though they fear no threat," Erin commented.  "I had thought the chaos claimed the world.

"Why do they feel safe?"

Zenobia
 player, 23 posts
 Enchantress
 Owl Familiar
Sat 30 Mar 2019
at 14:08
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
pm

This message was last edited by the player at 18:34, Sat 30 Mar 2019.

Wisla
 player, 200 posts
Mon 1 Apr 2019
at 01:56
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
"Chaos has come doesnt mean it has reached the entire world yet." She thinks on the situation a bit, "Any suggestions on what we do to deal with the busy road? At least until tomorro when the carrige might be an option?"
Tavi
 player, 140 posts
Mon 1 Apr 2019
at 03:20
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Tavi shrugs, "Is that not what we got the carriage spell for? Though I rarely lose control now a days. And worse case we can go off trail for a short span. Though I dont think a lot of people travel at night."
Manofdusk
 GM, 212 posts
 GM Golem
Mon 1 Apr 2019
at 07:49
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 The road itself was wide enough for two carriages to fit side by side... more than roomy enough for a single carriage to pass by foot traffic... and, sure enough, most people began to settle down at the various rest stops as the time got later.

 … so a carriage was a good plan, though it would seem strange to be out on the road in the mountains so late (as the other carriages seem to have parked at the rest stops).
Erin
 player, 96 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 49/49
Mon 1 Apr 2019
at 23:16
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
"As long as the carriage contains him," Erin agreed, "we can travel through the night with little delay."
Zenobia
 player, 25 posts
 Enchantress
 Owl Familiar
Tue 2 Apr 2019
at 14:42
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Before they had left town, Zenobia had taken advantage of a few hours of tranquility to transcribe the conjuration spell into her repertoire. If there was ever a time when that mode of transportation would be used at its best, this had to be it. Perfectly paved road, generally secure surroundings, and virtually no one else to worry about as most tavellers had to stop for the night.

The witch produced a small brass rod from her satchel, and used it to enhance her spellcasting. The magical carriage appeared out of thin air; it actually seemed like it was in motion, physically moving here from an other plane. It just stopped on the stone pavers. It was a rather nondescript vehicle, a four-wheeler with suspensions and a hard top, pulled by four healthy black horses. There was no one in driver’s seat, and the reins were tied around a brass peg.

 The doors on either side opened magically and Zenobia indicated that they should hop on.
“Someone may have to sit outside on the driver's seat. The stagecoach will drive itself, but other travelers may be spooked if they see it advancing with no one to guide the horses — not that this would be a grave problem, mind you."

 There was enough space inside for six passengers and some luggage. She wasn’t sure how tied up they would want Tavi to be, but they could always get creative with the sitting arrangements.

Extended Conjure Carriage: 10h of transport — did someone bring a deck of cards?

This message was last edited by the player at 14:43, Tue 02 Apr 2019.

Erin
 player, 97 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 49/49
Tue 2 Apr 2019
at 15:39
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Erin climbed atop the carriage.  She was NOT riding in that thing with whatever Tavi turned into.
Tavi
 player, 141 posts
Tue 2 Apr 2019
at 16:15
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Tavi did move to conceal himself inside the carriage before nightfall. He also was damn sure to have himself bound up so there would be no harm to anyone should he not have control, which was always extremely unlikely.

Tonight, he changed back into his beefcake tiger self. Some days you're a hamster, some days you're an eight-foot-tall tiger like Adonis. Small blessings are worth taking them as you get them. Though tonight he was all white with black stripes, he was subject to different species within the same animal type.

All the same, he quietly closed his eyes, leaned his head back, and for all purposes, he was being nice and quiet.
Wisla
 player, 201 posts
Wed 3 Apr 2019
at 02:02
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla gets inside the carriage as well allowing Erin to take the watch job.
Manofdusk
 GM, 213 posts
 GM Golem
Wed 3 Apr 2019
at 03:47
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 With the carriage and Tavi's controlled transformation, the group was able to move easily through the night for the first time. Though slower than running, they would no longer need to stop unless the road was bad... and, fortunately for them, the next ten hours were a smooth ride for them in a comfortable carriage.

 The paved road also made travel through the dwarf-controlled mountains easier, enabling them to cross in a day what would have taken them a week otherwise and, as the carriage vanished, they found themselves on the other side of the mountain range.

 There was another dwarf on the other side manning the toll gate, but he let you pass with a nod and a smile. Shortly afterward, the smooth paved road turned to uneven dirt and the group came to a sign, written in Elven.

OOC: anyone read elven?
Tavi
 player, 142 posts
Wed 3 Apr 2019
at 03:58
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Yup! Words are Tavi's things.
Tavi
 player, 143 posts
Thu 4 Apr 2019
at 01:34
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Tavi pointed one direction, "That way is the Drakken forest." He pointed the other direction like a Y formation. "And that way leads to the elf town. Drakken forest is shorter but far more dangerous. The elf town is slower but safe and sound. However, elves can be more than a little up tight."

"Either route heads in the right direction."

Zenobia
 player, 26 posts
 Enchantress
 Owl Familiar
Thu 4 Apr 2019
at 21:28
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Zenobia considéred both options very briefly, and walked towards the first direction.

“The forest route is shorter, we should not delay further. On an other note, elves would not take lightly to undead on their lands, should they see us for what we really are...”

 Her owl familiar was flying a short distance ahead of the group, getting a feel for the path ahead.
Erin
 player, 98 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 49/49
Thu 4 Apr 2019
at 21:56
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
"The shortest route, then," Erin agreed.  She wondered if the owl were dead or summoned anew when she arose.
Manofdusk
 GM, 215 posts
 GM Golem
Sat 6 Apr 2019
at 19:58
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 South it was!

 And so the group began to make their way into the Drakkenwood. The trail became narrower from disuse as they travelled until it became nothing more than a walking path.

 The trees grew thicker and the air a bit more stifling. The sounds of birds and insects were replaced by... other sounds... until finally the trail began turning steeply down and they could suddenly see over the treetops into a massive basin.

 To their right (west), they could see a massive waterfall falling into an unseen lake. It was an impressive vista, but the one thing they didn't see was signs of habitation or any clearings for roads. It would likely be slow going past this point.
Erin
 player, 99 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 49/49
Sat 6 Apr 2019
at 22:08
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
"Anyone skilled at finding a path," Erin asked, looking around hopefully.  She herself had no experience, but had a general idea of how to go in a straight line.  South was south, wasn't it?
Tavi
 player, 144 posts
Sun 7 Apr 2019
at 04:12
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Tavi tilted his head side to side as he whispered a word into his key keeper's ear. The word was the path itself and carried with it the trails and paths in and through the woods that would speed them through the wild lands. It wasn't nearly as perfect as a high way but they would move far faster than a random group of undead lost in the woods.

He shared the word with everyone in the group just to be sure no one could get too lost.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic...ls/n/nature-s-paths/

"I know the way but not the path. But I do know the true word for lost, and if I know that word I can ensure we won't be it. It will not ensure safe travel but it will ensure swift and true travel."
Wisla
 player, 203 posts
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 00:09
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
"I Dont think any of us are skilled at traveling in the wilderness. Perhaps I should call upon our barbarian allies to act as guides."
Zenobia
 player, 28 posts
 Enchantress
 Owl Familiar
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 23:04
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)

 Zenobia frowned at the assumption that she was not one who could guide others in the wild, or find sustenance and shelter, or tell true North from Orient. This being though, the assumption was pretty spot on, so she had no complaint to voice.

 As they entered the forest, she had changed her garments to something more appropriate. Not necessarily better suited to climbing trees or jumping streams, hopping or striding, but more in tune with the environment and with what one expect one to wear in the woods. Dark brown tones, hide accents, a woolen hood to hide her jewels, sturdy looking gloves.

  "I won't be of much help finding our way in the wilderness... but I can ask Alba to scout ahead for us, and I can fly up myself to take a vantage point when needed..."

 "I wouldn't summon berserkers if you do not intend to have them fight; they would be displeased."


 Progressing in the forest without a guide might be dangerous, but then they could probably overcome the hazards... falling in a pit, encountering savage beasts... unlikely things to stop a party of undead travelers.
Arashi
 player, 142 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 56/56 AC:21 Init+6
Tue 9 Apr 2019
at 14:46
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Arashi had stayed silent for most of the trip, electing to let the group make most, if not all, the decisions as they traveled. He was far too absorbed in the new sights and sounds of the journey to give much thought to the actual logistics of it all, not that he was very useful in that regard anyway.

His distaste towards Zenobia had lessened significantly over the few days. It did not seem that she actively searched for victims for her various revolting arcane rituals or at least did her "hunting" far enough away for him not to notice; either reason was satisfactory enough for the monk to fully accept her among his strange assortment of comrades.

Otherwise he was perfectly fine with going along with the flow of the group and allowed the current to speed them off towards their destination.
Erin
 player, 101 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 49/49
Wed 10 Apr 2019
at 01:42
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
"Let's follow the owl," Erin concluded.
Erin
 player, 102 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 49/49
Wed 10 Apr 2019
at 21:58
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Erin begins following the owl.
Wisla
 player, 207 posts
Thu 11 Apr 2019
at 03:32
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla Decides to try her best to lead and takes off in her best guess at the direction. If no one else attempts to correct her she simply leads the way. "If we get lost we will just have to call the barbarians for aid."
Manofdusk
 GM, 218 posts
 GM Golem
Thu 11 Apr 2019
at 04:00
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 The group presses on and Wisla finds that she's able to find the way for a pretty good while but the hill continues down while the trees remain the same height and soon the owl is lost above the canopy of trees.


 Light is beginning to dim and, even though it is still midday, the thick canopy has begin to obscure light.

 Without access to the sun, finding one's orientation has become more difficult. As Wisla touches one of the stees, she feels something sticky on her hand. Pulling it back, she finds strands of silk unyieldingly stuck to her.
Zenobia
 player, 30 posts
 Enchantress
 Owl Familiar
Sat 13 Apr 2019
at 01:39
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 Zenobia can feel that her familiar is getting uncomfortably nervous. She calls her back to her, to be on the safe side.

 As she notices the strands of silk, she comments absent-mindedly:
  "We've entered the lair of an ancient spider... better be on our most rigorous guard."

 She casts a spell to wrap herself in magical armour.


02:36, Today: Zenobia rolled 19 using 1d20+1.  aid another: survival to not get lost .
02:36, Today: Zenobia rolled 19 using 1d20+12.  Perception.

cast mage armor — AC+4

Wisla
 player, 208 posts
Sat 13 Apr 2019
at 05:30
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla pulls her bow free with one hand while allowing a tiny scorpion to crawl down her arm and examanine the webbing. After a few moments the creature climbs back up, "Any ideas Jafar." Spoken softly as her eyes keep an eye out for what might be coming.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:31, Sat 13 Apr 2019.

Manofdusk
 GM, 219 posts
 GM Golem
Sat 13 Apr 2019
at 05:45
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 Zenobia finds that calling the owl doesn't work particularly well as it can no longer seem to find your location from its vantage point.

 Nothing seems to be coming at this very moment and these threads seem to be old, judging from how easily they were pulled from the tree. Still, Jafar seems nervous. When it crawls back up her arm, it whispers to her.
Erin
 player, 103 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 49/49
Sat 13 Apr 2019
at 14:33
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
"Whatever it is," Erin said, "let's just get past it.  There's no reason to go looking for trouble."
Wisla
 player, 209 posts
Sat 13 Apr 2019
at 15:23
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla speaks back to the little scorion, "Thank you hide for now. We will get out as quickly as practical. Think on them and give me any suggestions on how to face them should they actually appear."

"Dragon Spiders they spit acid, Tavi, are we good to continue on if so i will call a barbarian so we can hurry and get through this area as quickly as possible as well as have his expertise to face the spiders if forced to." Wisla focuses on the trees trying to find the threat. While magically enchanting her bow.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:30, Sat 13 Apr 2019.

Tavi
 player, 145 posts
Mon 15 Apr 2019
at 05:00
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Tavi was still as a tree, his eyes locked onto something in the woods as he crouched down like a predator even though he still looked like a person. "Call them but cover the horns exit with a cloth. They are about to attack if we poke too much harder."

"I can try talking to them but it's one predator talking to a hoard of them, that never turns out pleasant. The Barbarians are the best bet for any further trailblazing."

"Lastly, if you don't mind, Let me borrow one of your arrows. I'll give it a light. If you fire the arrow straight up it will let or birdy friend find us as it breaches the canopy."

Wisla
 player, 210 posts
Mon 15 Apr 2019
at 05:19
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla nods and pulls forth the horn muffling the sound with the cloak she blows calling the full group to her side. Chosing to us numbers to intimidate. Once done she simply draws a blunt arrow lools up verifying a clear shot and casts the light spell herself releasing one of her reusable arrows stright up. She choses not to continue her shots.
Manofdusk
 GM, 220 posts
 GM Golem
Mon 15 Apr 2019
at 05:51
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 As Wisla fires her arrow, Erin and Zenobia can hear rustling in the canopy above them, separate from the rustling of the wind.

 Zenobia feels a rush of relief through the empathetic link as the arrow pierces the canopy above.
Zenobia
 player, 31 posts
 Enchantress
 Owl Familiar
Mon 15 Apr 2019
at 21:52
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
  "Much obliged..." Zenobia simply says when Tiva and Wisla work together to help her owl find her way back.
 She had not been too worried actually, as the undead bird would always find her way back to her, unless they were separated across the world.

  "If we can avoid a fight, that is my preference... but I understand that they may have spotted us as prey already."

 She turns to Arashi and Jessie, imagining that the two martial artists will be thrilled at the prospect of a fight with such uncanny opponents.


Zenobia rolled 25 using 1d20+6.  know nature: dragon spiders.
 As it so happens, Zenobia has met Dragon Spiders before ;)

This message was last edited by the player at 21:53, Mon 15 Apr 2019.

Arashi
 player, 145 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 56/56 AC:21 Init+6
Tue 16 Apr 2019
at 14:49
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Arashi frowned at the news but otherwise didn't get in the way of the rest of the group. He imagined hordes of spiders spitting tiny goblets of acid and was not at all excited at the prospect of having to stomp them all to death. He looked at the strands of webbing that covered the trees and guessed that there were probably millions of the little bugs littering the place. He was a little confused when Wisla mentioned summoning the Barbarians (surely it was no more complicated than dealing with any other pest, if slightly more dangerous) but trusted her judgement. He kept his eyes peeled, looking at the canopy above for any signs of potential swarms.
Manofdusk
 GM, 221 posts
 GM Golem
Wed 17 Apr 2019
at 04:13
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 The owl's emoting of relief was short lived as it turned to panic and then vanished from Zenobia's mind.

 There was more rustling in the treetops now. It was as though the canopy had suddenly come alive with some form of dark malevolence.
Wisla
 player, 211 posts
Sat 20 Apr 2019
at 15:46
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla searches the branches above hoping her darkvision will let her get a feel for what is going on. Wondering if the horn failed because its sounds was muted.
Manofdusk
 GM, 222 posts
 GM Golem
Sun 21 Apr 2019
at 00:53
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 It did indeed take a minute before the barbarians arrived and they drew their blades immediately as the canopy shook violently and saturated the area in, what at first seemed to be rain, but the burning of flesh and sizzling of belongings quickly suggested otherwise.

OOC: anyone who doesn't have evasion takes 3 points of damage. Also, no one can see what's up there without a Perception roll.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:24, Sun 21 Apr 2019.

Wisla
 player, 212 posts
Sun 21 Apr 2019
at 04:39
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
OOC:Perception check.
Erin
 player, 104 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 46/49
Sun 21 Apr 2019
at 13:06
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
"Why are we just standing here?" Erin asked, giving up on any enlightened leadership and pushing through the foliage away from the dangerous situation.
Arashi
 player, 148 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 53/56 AC:21 Init+6
Tue 23 Apr 2019
at 12:45
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Arashi nodded and followed Erin as he placed an arm above his head in a futile effort to shield himself from the acidic precipitation. He glanced back to make that the rest followed close by.
Manofdusk
 GM, 224 posts
 GM Golem
Wed 24 Apr 2019
at 04:30
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 The group can only see movement in the trees as the barbarians shield themselves from the acid, running in the direction opposite of the nest and urging others to do so.

 The acid continues to fall from the canopy above them and still no one can see the creatures assaulting them, other than the rustling in the trees above.

OOC: 3 more damage

 As the group flees, they see paths that didn't seem to have been there before, covered in webbing, leaving only one safe path.
Wisla
 player, 214 posts
Mon 6 May 2019
at 01:56
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
"This is a trap we are being herded." She considers and takes another look up searching for the threat once more.
Erin
 player, 105 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 46/49
Mon 6 May 2019
at 02:21
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Erin ignores Wisla and continues down the lone exit.
Arashi
 player, 149 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 50/56 AC:21 Init+6
Tue 7 May 2019
at 16:26
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Torn between wanting to support his savior and to prevent them from getting too split up, Arashi followed Erin at half her pace. He attempted to keep both Erin and Wisla within sight ready to support either in case of an emergency.
Manofdusk
 GM, 225 posts
 GM Golem
Wed 8 May 2019
at 00:14
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 The moment The group began to split, one of the creatures descended. It was larger than a man and straddled two trees as it launched webbing at Wisla (Reflex save DC 20).

 The rustling above continued in the direction of Arashi and Erin.

OOC: the two of you take 2 points of acid damage
Wisla
 player, 215 posts
Wed 8 May 2019
at 00:41
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla leaps away from the webbing and brings her bow up to bear. She was already prepared for the fight. "Group back up!"
Erin
 player, 106 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 44/49
Wed 8 May 2019
at 01:38
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Erin continued to move as fast as she could along the trail.  Whatever was spewing this the acid seemed to be moving with them.
Manofdusk
 GM, 226 posts
 GM Golem
Wed 8 May 2019
at 03:10
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 The Barbarians grouped up around wisla and one of them pulled a throwing axe from somewhere, lobbing it at the creature that had attacked Wisla, scoring a hit on its leg as the others draw their Battleaxes.
Wisla
 player, 216 posts
Wed 8 May 2019
at 03:33
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla decides to attempt to bring down the spider quickly before heading out to help the others. She pulling her bow up she decides to ready herself further for combat. Boosting her strenght with magic before begging her arrow storm.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:36, Wed 08 May 2019.

Arashi
 player, 150 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 48/56 AC:21 Init+6
Wed 8 May 2019
at 13:33
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
The monk's eyes widened as he gazed the huge arachnid. Was this creature a natural occurance, or simply a byproduct of their enemies? He stopped his thoughts from lingering further and placed his hand on his blade, ready to draw his sword and put an end to the abomination and would have done so had he not been distracted by the barbarian's attack. Arashi paused for just a moment to take in the entire situation. Wisla had an armed retinue and seemed more than capable of protecting herself, Erin on the other hand was alone and ignoring orders; charging deeper into the webbed forest.

"I will go to support Erin." He called out to Wisla before turning to give chase, keeping an eye above for any other man-sized creatures.

OOC:
Arashi rolled 30 using 1d20+15.  Perception check (1 Ki spent as immediate action for +4).
Otherwise try to keep up with Erin as best I can.

Manofdusk
 GM, 227 posts
 GM Golem
Thu 9 May 2019
at 09:10
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 Wisla manages to bring down the first spider with two well placed arrows and the help of her summoned barbarians, though now Arashi and Erin are out of her sight and one of the spiders closed off the path between them with webbing as they passed.

 The path continued for a small ways with the skittering above growing ever closer until the footing on the path gave way.

OOC: Erin needs a DC 20 reflex save to avoid slipping

 Arashi, having stopped, was far closer to the chittering pursuers but nonetheless noticed the path and the slip of Erin's foot (minor or major).
Erin
 player, 107 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 44/49
Thu 9 May 2019
at 18:38
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Erin was caught by complete surprise when the path gave way beneath her feet.

OOC: Erin rolled 7 using 1d20+4.  Reflex Save DC 20.
Arashi
 player, 151 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 48/56 AC:21 Init+6
Fri 10 May 2019
at 13:33
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Arashi noticed the pursuit of the large arachnids but felt that he could handle them as soon as they felt confident enough to go into melee. Instead he focused his efforts on Erin. He saw her fall and dove to catch her.

OOC:
Arashi rolled 16 using 1d20+9.  reflex save to catch Erin.

Manofdusk
 GM, 230 posts
 GM Golem
Sat 11 May 2019
at 02:56
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 Erin fell and Arashi dove to catch her, locking hands with her an instant before she was out of reach and now the two could see the trap clearly.

 The road had ended and the brush concealed a drop twenty feet down into a thick tangle of webbing.

 Unfortunately, even though Arashi had saved Erin, he had exposed himself to attack from the spiders and they capitalized on it, bouncing on him while he was prone. They bit into his flesh and began injecting acid into his veins (18 damage from 3 attacks) as they began to eat him alive.

 He could likely beat them back with his sword... but not while Erin weighed him down. Arashi now had a choice to make...
Wisla
 player, 219 posts
Sat 11 May 2019
at 03:48
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla focuses her magic into the bow and tries to provide cover fire firing two shots at one of the spiders as it fled. Both arrows are well aimed though firing through trees could knock them off course. Speaking to the barbarian, "Cut a path." Motions to the one closest to the fallen spider, "Recover my arrows." Hoping the warrior would see the benefit of her continued assault on there enemies.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 16:26, Sat 11 May 2019.

Erin
 player, 108 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 44/49
Sat 11 May 2019
at 15:29
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Erin dropped her longspear and scrambled to grab a root or some handhold with the free hand.

"Let go," she said decisively, regardless of her success.  "I'll be all right."
Arashi
 player, 152 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 30/56 AC:21 Init+6
Mon 13 May 2019
at 02:22
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Arashi's look of relief fell to worry when Erin told him to let her go but he saw the determined look on her face and knew that he had to trust her. Letting go of Erin, he stood, bearing the brunt of the spiders attacks and lashing out in turn with his sword. The assault was too much for the poor monk; having had most of his experience in far more favorable settings, and his blade work faltered.

OOC:
Move: Stand Up
Standard: (Assuming I'm still around)
Arashi rolled 14 using 1d20+12.  Tidal Blade against two closest enemies.

Manofdusk
 GM, 231 posts
 GM Golem
Mon 13 May 2019
at 04:10
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 Wisla's arrow felled one of the spiders before it could reach Arashi (reduce the damage you took by 6) and the other two backed away from the blade as Arashi let go of Erin to turn and attack.

 With Arashi no longer holding on, Erin began to fall and, even though she could summon wings, she found it to be much harder to correct her descent, being that close to a cliff face (DC 15 reflex save or fly roll)

 With the advantage lost, the spiders retreated back into the trees.
Erin
 player, 110 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 44/49
Mon 13 May 2019
at 16:50
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Erin scrambled to stop her fall, but failed to find purchase in her descent.

OOC: Erin rolled 13 using 1d20+4.  Reflex save for fall.
Arashi
 player, 153 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 30/56 AC:21 Init+6
Mon 13 May 2019
at 17:09
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Arashi kept the spiders in his sight and tried to ignore the sounds of struggle behind him. He quickly sheathed his blade and released a wave of energy at the creatures; hoping to drive them off to search for an easier meal.

OOC:
Free Action: Sheathe Sword, recover Tidal Blade. Worry.
Standard Action: Arashi rolled 24 using 1d20+10.  Iron Wave strike.
(I may make my attack against any creature within close range (25+5ft/2lvls [40ft]) add +2d6 damage)

If I hit: Arashi rolled 21 using 4d6+9. Damage, the creature needs to make a will save DC 16 or become vulnerable to silver until the end of my next turn.

Manofdusk
 GM, 232 posts
 GM Golem
Tue 14 May 2019
at 17:52
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 Arashi's blade strike caught another of the spiders as it was retreating as Erin fell into the trap they had created, held fast by the sticky webbing (DC 20 to escape by yourself).

 Though the group had won, they were now badly separated, with Wisla on the other side of a web wall and Erin stuck in webbing at the bottom of a cliff.
Arashi
 player, 154 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 30/56 AC:21 Init+6
Tue 14 May 2019
at 18:06
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Arashi watched the retreating arachnids with caution and called down to Erin. "Do you need help?" He was relieved that the fight was over and was sure that if Wisla truly needed them she would simply summon them both. For now, it was probably best, going forward, to travel cautiously. It was possible that these creatures weren't the only danger in these woods.
Erin
 player, 111 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 44/49
Tue 14 May 2019
at 19:32
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Erin strained at the webbing she was stuck in with little result.

"I'm a little stuck," she called back to Arashi, "but so far it seems safe down here.  Maybe just drop me a rope and I'll see if I an get it tied on."

OOC: Erin rolled 15 using 1d20+1.  Escape web DC 20.

Arashi
 player, 155 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 30/56 AC:21 Init+6
Tue 14 May 2019
at 20:17
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Arashi frowned. He carried no equipment, as in life he was far from a typical adventurer. Instead he climbed down and used a free hand to help cut her free.

Arashi rolled 33 using 1d20+13.  climb.
Arashi rolled 17 using 1d20+4.  aid another: erin.
Zenobia
 player, 33 posts
 Enchantress
 Owl Familiar
Tue 14 May 2019
at 22:16
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
ooc: sorry for my absence; I’m back and will try to get back into a regular posting rhythm.

 Zenobia caught up with the others at a light jog. She seems to have suffered from the acidic spray, but is otherwise unharmed.

  “Sorry, I lost you... I was trying to recover Alba, my familiar...”

 She seems worried, the owl is a lot more than a pet to her.

  The witch tries to catch up with Erin and Arashi. If needed she can help with the climb.
Manofdusk
 GM, 233 posts
 GM Golem
Wed 15 May 2019
at 03:54
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 Arashi manages to climb down easily but found the webbing harder to cut through than he first anticipated. The blade caught in the webbing as he cut it but he managed to pull it free... though now it was covered in sticky webbing and would likely get stuck in the sheath if he put it back now (DC 20 Str check to remove your blade from the sheathe it until it gets cleaned).

 However, his efforts were enough to get Erin back to the cliff face... though the webbing remained below. However, now tat the group wasn't fighting off giant spiders, they could see beneath the webbing a giant ball made of similar stuff but bigger in radius than a horse.

OOC: knowledge nature?
Arashi
 player, 156 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 30/56 AC:21 Init+6
Wed 15 May 2019
at 17:04
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Arashi stared at his weapon with disgust. It would likely be a long and arduous task to clean it properly. "A victim perhaps?" He nodded to indicate the ball. He heard someone else approach and turned to confront them and smiled when he realized it was only Zenobia. "Yes, we all seemed to have gotten split up." His tone seemed nonchalant, almost as if he were speaking about the weather.

As the witch got closer, he pointed at the ball with his soiled weapon, "Zenobia, do you know what that is?" The monk seemed flippant, as if he were only making small talk. It was only a matter of time, after all, before their general summoned them back to her.
Wisla
 player, 220 posts
Thu 16 May 2019
at 12:06
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla looked at Zenobi and then at the web wall, "I will try something with the owl. Will you help the barbarians cut open a path. We need to regroup." Wisla recovers her arrows in the first spider as she opens her senses to the connection with the undead she leads. Looking for the torn connection of the fallen familiar. Calling her wings in a pointless but symbolic geature. She calls the augmented animal to her and back to unlife. Using her authority as one of the valkry to do so. Holding her bow out as a pearch for the owl.
Manofdusk
 GM, 234 posts
 GM Golem
Fri 17 May 2019
at 00:03
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 Upon Wisla's outstretched arm, particles began to glimmer and coalesce into the shape of a creature, finally solidifying as an owl on her shoulder. It flapped its wings but did not leave it's new perch. It appeared to be waiting for a command.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:04, Fri 17 May 2019.

Erin
 player, 112 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 44/49
Fri 17 May 2019
at 17:30
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Even without looking, Erin knows she's going to be covered with leaves and dirt by the time they clear the forest.  Everything and anything is going to stick to the residue that webbing left on her.  She was going to look like a walking bush.

She looked down into the pit to see if she could spot the spear she'd discarded.
Manofdusk
 GM, 236 posts
 GM Golem
Sat 18 May 2019
at 01:05
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 She found it some distance away from where she'd fell, lying in the webbing. Retrieving it would likely be a difficult task.
Erin
 player, 113 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 44/49
Sat 18 May 2019
at 02:18
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
"Arashi," she asked the man, "could you lower me down to grab my spear?"
Zenobia
 player, 34 posts
 Enchantress
 Owl Familiar
Sun 19 May 2019
at 12:20
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Zenobia comes near the pit and tries to discern what the monk was pointing to.  She looked down, and mumbled.
  "Hmm, yes I see..."

 She turned to Erin and suggested:
  "Let me do it... I might as well go down there and take a closer look."

 The witch jumped forward into the pit, but she did not fall. Instead she gently lowered into the webbing, like a leaf in autumn, until she stabilised her position a few feet above the bundle.

 Her hair started growing by magic, and formed a braid like a tentacle of ten feet, which she controlled to grab the spear. She  gently brought it back to her.

 Before anything else, she examined the blob of webbing that Arashi asked about.

hex: levitate
 hex: prehensile hair

 Zenobia rolled 32 using 1d20+12.  perception.
 Zenobia rolled 22 using 1d20+6.  know nature.

Morien
 GM, 75 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Returns
Sun 19 May 2019
at 16:12
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 It took some effort, but Zenobia managed to dislodge the spear with her hair, though she now had webbing in her hair.
Zenobia
 player, 35 posts
 Enchantress
 Owl Familiar
Sun 19 May 2019
at 18:26
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 Zenobia had some webbing caught in her braid, but she worried not about that part. It was after all quite fitting for a witch she thought, and for an undead witch even more so.  She carefully retracted her hair and held the spear in her hand.

 She called out to the others:
  "Tis as I thought... an egg cocoon. I am not quite sure how close they are from emerging as spiderlings. Unless you advise otherwise, I would suggest we leave them be. They are nasty predators indeed, but not creatures of Chaos as I understand it."

 The way she saw it, it was neither their task nor their right to rid the world of spiders.
Wisla
 player, 222 posts
Sun 19 May 2019
at 18:41
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla looks to the owl, "Is your bond still in effect. If so return to your ladyship."
Arashi
 player, 157 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 30/56 AC:21 Init+6
Mon 20 May 2019
at 05:18
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Arashi nodded at the witch's words and turned his attention to the canopy above. "We should move on before those creatures regain their bravery." he said, squinting. He felt the weight of his weapon in his hands. It felt strange to have it out for so long and it filled him with anger to have it's blade desecrated so but he would not be able to repair it until they reached a safer environment.

He turned to where Wisla and the barbarians were and watched as they finished cutting down the web barrier between them. He had reservations continuing their travel; he may not be able to fight at his best considering his soiled weapon and the damage he had taken earlier. He shuddered at the thought of one of these creatures felling him, the monks would never let him live it down. He would betray none of these feelings, lest they bog his general's mind with more things to worry about, "Shall we, General?"
Morien
 GM, 76 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Returns
Tue 21 May 2019
at 04:27
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 The owl returned to Zenobia as the group finally came back together. It took a little backtracking before the barbarians got a sense of their direction and began leading the group in a direction that, while more difficult to follow, was definitely less dark and, shortly before they vanished, they had led the group into a clearing.

 The clearing was fairly large and possessed a number of oddly shaped rocks scattered around it. Day was ending and night was falling. However, in the dark, they would need to rely on their own sense of direction once more.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:15, Wed 22 May 2019.

Wisla
 player, 223 posts
Sat 25 May 2019
at 17:37
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla looked around the clearing. They needed to figure this out. The splitting up and falling into traps was a dangerous thing that must be solved. First though she needed to check on Zenobi to make sure thing were okay there, "Zenobia are all the issues related to your familiar dealt with or is something more required to do?"
Morien
 GM, 77 posts
 The Frost Lord
 Returns
Thu 30 May 2019
at 05:43
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 The owl seemed quite alright and had taken up it's normal place alongside Zenobia.

OOC: camp in the clearing or try to forge through the jungle at night?
Zenobia
 player, 36 posts
 Enchantress
 Owl Familiar
Fri 31 May 2019
at 09:26
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
“Getting some rest here until dawn seems like a sound plan. Nevertheless we should stay alert.” Zenobia contributed.

She gathered her things and tried to find a comfortable spot for the next few hours. Convenient would be a better term, as comfort was not something the undead craved.

“Thank you Willa, for bringing Alba back.” she said as the Owl hopped about and eventually found a perch on a nearby tree.
“I still do not understand what happened, but it all seems to be back in order.”

 Come dawn she would commune with her familiar to refresh her magical potential and renew her spells for the day.