The Journey Begins (1.0.0)   Posted by Manofdusk.Group: 0
Tavi
 player, 118 posts
Wed 6 Mar 2019
at 03:54
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Tavi took the missive and didn't even open it. He put the end of the thing up to his nose and sniffed at it. "Blood, delightful." He spoke a word to the paper just to make sure there was no way in hell it would be damaged. The same word Wisla had heard him say to stone so his anchors for the chains couldn't be pulled up if he couldn't control himself.

He looked at the little scorpion. He did decide that it looked smart enough to understand him without him having to use his beast speech. "She is real, and she is strong enough to kill us and keep us dead. She is the threefold woman, and even if we run into her Springtime self she will still be dangerous."

He gave Wisla a concerned look. "As my commanding officer, I will ask you let me enter her abode first. If I say to do something near her home, what I say must be done quickly and without hesitation. Lastly, if I tell you to run you cannot wait for me. If she kills me there is a chance I can get away, but I cant if she kills everyone."

"And this is a woman who will kill us all if it fits her fancy. I know I am being a bit dramatic but this is a Granny who can't be overestimated."

"If you are good with all that I can take you there, she just moved her house and it's going to be a long trip."

Wisla
 player, 171 posts
Wed 6 Mar 2019
at 04:31
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla nods to the warrior, "You are the expert on this topic. If you need to take point I will trust your judgement."
Tavi
 player, 119 posts
Wed 6 Mar 2019
at 04:49
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Tavi inclined his head to Wisla. "Thank you for your trust in this. Everyone will need a small pouch of grain infused with their blood. Outside of that pack for a long trip, and make sure we have at least one set of climbing gear. We set out at your leisure. Unless she moves again it won't be too bad."
Manofdusk
 GM, 185 posts
 GM Golem
Wed 6 Mar 2019
at 07:52
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 The group made their preparations and began their journey. The first few days mattered little. The journey was primarily south either way, but a fork in the road soon presented them with a choice.

 The map they had said that the eastern path would take them to a port, where they could likely buy passage across the shores, bypassing most of Qu-Len. The other path lead south, where they would need to cross two mountain ranges and three rivers on their trek through the wooded nation of the elves.

 Of course, there was always a risk that no one would take them if they went to the port, so they'd waste at least a week's travel on foot.

OOC: okay, choice time! Do you want a moderate sized nautical adventure or a hike across two mountain ranges and through the hostile wilderness of the elves?
Zenobia
 player, 8 posts
 Enchantress
 Owl Familiar
Wed 6 Mar 2019
at 15:04
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 Zenobia was very interested in the resurrection process inflicted upon Tavi. She had enough understanding of social conventions to not state or pry, but she made a note I politely ask about it later. From Morien she had received that power too, but she had never had to actually use it — which was for the best as she wouldn’t really know where to start.

 When the alchemist explained their journey and described the end goal of their journey, she decided it was as good a time as any to introduce herself.
  “She is all that and much more. Some would grace her with an divine epithet — which she would likely hate.”
 “I call her my Grandmother and my Queen.”

 “I am Zenobia — and I would offer to do introductions with Baba Yaga.”


She didn’t yet comment on the his request for some of her blood — but she suspected there would be plenty of time for vivid conversations with the alchemist later on.
Arashi
 player, 131 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 56/56 AC:21 Init+6
Wed 6 Mar 2019
at 16:00
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Arashi gave Zenobia a knowing nod, the same one he had given his masters countless times. "Ahh." He mused as she imparted her wisdom upon him. The woman had clearly fallen for his diplomatic espionage so the monk had little reason to doubt her, and besides; what she said had made sense, he had seen some of the feathers that had been affiliated with Tavi but was unsure if these "peacocks" could change their colors or shapes, especially in this current age.

He answered her question truthfully "No, during my life I had not seen many animals."

His eyes glazed over when the conversation turned to some strange powerful woman. From what little he paid attention to he doubted that she was any kind of swords(wo)man and yet another woman devoted to the miracles and wonders of the arcane. He had not heard the name at all, and thought nothing of Wisla's informant's information conflicting with Tavi's. From what stories circulated in the monastery and small towns he had visited before his demise, Arashi knew that most practitioners or the arcane tended to be secretive or dangerous or both.

"I have no grain." He said plainly, he supposed that they could purchase some from the nearby town, but it was also possible that Tavi came fully stocked with these Baba Yaga wards.

Upon glancing at the map with the others he had intended to wait for the others to speak before him but was unable to hold his tongue. "We should take the southern path." He provided no explanation and assumed he didn't need one. It was very likely that the mortals would be unhelpful if not outright hostile so it would probably be a waste of time to head East. The southern path, however, provided ample opportunity for Arashi to test out his new maneuvers and perhaps he could learn something from the elves; he had always wished to visit them in life, after all.
Erin
 player, 79 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 20/49
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 00:15
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Erin added nothing to their selection of paths.  She expected their general to point out the obvious.  There was no choice.
Wisla
 player, 174 posts
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 03:03
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla considers what potions have been layed out and shares hers as well, "I agree with Arashi. The southern route seems our best option. We can take advantage of our abilities to run forver to enhance the speed of our crossing. If we stop in a town and find someone that knows the Spider Climb spell I could cast spider climb and allow us to quickly setup rope to make climbs much easier and faster. That means we only need to slow down to a walk when i run out of magic to help us climb. I dont really understand what advantages there are to taking the sea route. It seems we open ourselves up to discovery and I cant take advantage of our unique abilities."
Erin
 player, 80 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 20/49
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 03:26
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Erin shrugged, the obvious choice.  No amount of gold would convince a Captain to allow Tavi passage after that first night.  It would have been a waste of their time to try.
Manofdusk
 GM, 188 posts
 GM Golem
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 05:20
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 With the decision made, the group began their hustle, allowing them to make good time, stopping only when it was time for Tavi to transform. This night, he became a giant hamster.

 Morning came and they made good time, needing to neither eat nor rest. They made good time for several days before they approached a small village at the foot of the mountain.
Jessie
 player, 53 posts
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 09:12
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Jessie spent her time during the travels trying to befriend the new entity, Zenobia. As well as discuss random battle tactics with Arashi.

Upon the small village coming into view Jessie speaks up to the group. "Are we pressing through or going around? I feel like our presence would perturb nearly everyone there."
Arashi
 player, 135 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 56/56 AC:21 Init+6
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 19:25
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Jessica found Arashi polite but taciturn, only becoming chatty when the topics involved dueling or fighting styles. It became obvious that although the man served the Frost Lord as a soldier, he seemed ill suited for conventional warfare; he had little to no experience with regiments, leadership, or battlefield tactics. In fact, he seemed to know little more than the average peasant and would often become distracted to admire particularly beautiful or eye-catching locations and often voted for (but never brought up) any breaks or stops to their trek.

Jessica made an excellent point.

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest, Arashi

Arashi remembered his masters' soft, wise, words. "Perhaps we should run by the village; if it is in any danger we would be able to help. If it is dead, we could gain knowledge of the local dangers. If it is fine, we will know the area is at least mildly safe."
Erin
 player, 82 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 20/49
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 20:20
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
"I think we should ask if there are any threats about," Erin suggested.  "We explain we've been hired by the Empire to deal with them.

"As long as we don't forget to breath and blink, no one will be the wiser.  And of course, not stay overnight or hold anyone's hand."
  She looked pointedly at Tavi.

Erin wondered if the Dreadlord had negotiated a writ of some kind and given it to Wisla.  It would be more convincing.
Jessie
 player, 54 posts
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 21:33
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Erin:
"I think we should ask if there are any threats about," Erin suggested.  "We explain we've been hired by the Empire to deal with them.

"As long as we don't forget to breath and blink, no one will be the wiser.  And of course, not stay overnight or hold anyone's hand."
  She looked pointedly at Tavi.

Erin wondered if the Dreadlord had negotiated a writ of some kind and given it to Wisla.  It would be more convincing.

"Why Erin, you don't want to hold my hand? I'm so hurt. They're just as cold as yours." She laughs to herself but agrees. She is ready to move ever forward.

OOC: I don't actually know if our body temps are cold, just guessing.
Zenobia
 player, 12 posts
 Enchantress
 Owl Familiar
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 21:39
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 Zenobia has many questions for the alchemist, who seemed very knowledgable on the subject of witchcraft. She kept those to herself for the time being, and ventured her opinion on journey plans.
  “Sea travel seemed like a safer option than travels through the land of elves... they will try and kill us on sight if they can tell we are denizens of the afterlife...”

 “I suppose it will make for interesting interactions...”
she added as they started moving towards the mountain range.

 * * *

As they approached the first village on their route, she simply stated:
  “Best remain unseen... but if we are stopping in the village, I can scout ahead...”
Tavi
 player, 121 posts
Thu 7 Mar 2019
at 21:50
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
As they traveled Tavi walked off the path, any time he came to a bit of long grass he took the seed stem and plucked the grains from it. Before long he had a number of tiny bags of the stuff. The monk got the first one, "Ask and it shall be provided. If we run into her before time Kneel, break the cord of the bag, and hold up the grain as offering to her. Don't talk to her at all, It is best to wear it about your neck."

When it came to the town. "Good to poke about. Even then we may be sure to look about for any sign of corruption. People do silly things and they could be trying to help someone being corrupted."

"Better Safe than sory."

Wisla
 player, 177 posts
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 04:13
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Listens to the discussion, "Yes I think checking on the village. WE should also keep our eye out for spider climb spell. It would be worth picking it up if we can."
Manofdusk
 GM, 190 posts
 GM Golem
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 04:47
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 The village at the base of the mountain ended up being quite the trading hub, with elves, dwarves, and humans all mingling. It had the appearance of being a relatively new settlement, with many buildings still under construction

 There was an energy here that the group had not seen at the other settlement. Coin changed hands freely here, though the town had been divided into three "districts" (elven, dwarven, and human) seemingly more out of personal preference than anyone's attempt to force the issue.

 The sounds of crafting mix with the calls of vendors and the smells of cross-cultural foods. It would likely have made you hungry if you needed to eat. Still, none of you had forgotten the urge to taste foods and the smells made all of you salivate.
Jessie
 player, 55 posts
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 05:06
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Jessie smells the sweet scents of food walking through the air to invite her over to a table. She had not had roasted duck in over 300 years and the smells of delicious foods swept her off her feet. Alas, she had not come here for that. She hard the sounds of metal clanking between anvil and blacksmith hammers. She looked at her gear and felt severely under dressed for adventuring.

"Wisla, would you allow Zenobia and I to travel the smith shops?"
Zenobia
 player, 14 posts
 Enchantress
 Owl Familiar
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 16:40
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
 Zenobia was still figuring out group dynamics. There was lots she should still learn from the unusual party of heroes brought back from the afterlife. They were -to say the least- an unlikely team to be in charge of protecting the realm of the living from the advance of Chaos.

 Visiting the town was an excellent idea, she thought. Surely the risk of descending into madness would be limited.

  "I can subtly investigate whether there are practitioners of witchcraft around the town. And maybe learn that spell from them — or other mobility spells, actually."
Erin
 player, 85 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 49/49
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 18:15
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
"I'll go find the mayor or whatever authority they have here," Erin said.  "I'll see if they've had any contact with the chaos." 

From the looks of the town, it looked as though the chaos had yet to reach them.
Wisla
 player, 179 posts
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 07:15
The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla pulls out some Quarts and looks around the group, "We will need someone to sell the Quartz. There was a decent amount of gold from the defeat of the witch. We can divide it up amoungst those involved with an additional share for group funds for equipment are spells that are shared. I could also see just using the funds as a group store to keep everyone armed and armored as needed."
Jessie
 player, 56 posts
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 07:26
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Wisla:
Wisla pulls out some Quarts and looks around the group, "We will need someone to sell the Quartz. There was a decent amount of gold from the defeat of the witch. We can divide it up amoungst those involved with an additional share for group funds for equipment are spells that are shared. I could also see just using the funds as a group store to keep everyone armed and armored as needed."



Jessie wrinkles her nose at being ignored and the statement just made. "I was not involved in whatever you all did. But I can tell you, any money I do earn, I would not be okay with anyone but me holding. There is a teaching from my temple. 'Believe in the good of others, but don't forget to lock your door.' Please note, I would be more than happy to help someone out but that should be my choice. You holding my earnings or taxing them for a group fund wouldn't be my choice. There isn't really a need for a group fund in our case. We don't eat, require any real shelter, have maintenance or upkeep on our selves, and we don't sleep. And I don't wear armor. I understand others might or do, but I still disagree STRONGLY with option two. Please just split things evenly and fairly. As we were all called back to serve Morien, I'm sure we will help each other out as needed when needed."
Arashi
 player, 137 posts
 Kenjutsu Monk
 HP 56/56 AC:21 Init+6
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 12:25
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Attachment; one of the three unwholesome roots. Take care Arashi, for it will lead Samsara.

Arashi looked down to his sword and immediately empathized with Jessica. He had not owned much in his lifetime, but even his death could not break the bond he had with the weapon that chose him. It was his attachment that had led him to his end, and his attachment that had caused him so much suffering before he was brought back. The monk pushed the memories and feelings away; when he had been first reanimated he was overwhelmed by his instincts, and charged headlong into the first creature that looked remotely hostile, but now he was more himself, more in control.

He left the group.

He felt it was best to silently leave them to their discussion and began a slow stroll towards the village. He assumed that when Wisla needed him, she would not be far. Instead he focused on his own pace and was careful to enjoy every step, keeping an eye out for local flora and fauna that would catch his eye.
Erin
 player, 86 posts
 Sister of Light
 HP: 49/49
Mon 11 Mar 2019
at 17:28
Re: The Journey Begins (1.0.0)
Erin left in search of a town hall or military establishment.