"Turn around bright eyes"- the second session.   Posted by Master of Ceremonies.Group: 0
Master of Ceremonies
 GM, 2 posts
Thu 14 Mar 2019
at 22:39
"Turn around bright eyes"- the second session
Okay, let’s get rolling with the start of session moves;

Each of you :
announce which character yourcharacter trusts the least;
their player will spotlight a Faction for your character (that isn’t already marked).
Mark that Faction.
Tell the MC about a rumor or conflict that you’ve heard about that Faction,building on previous established information if you’d like, and roll withthe Faction.
On a 10+, you’re prepared for the conflict you laid out: you’ve got a
Debt on someone in that Faction or a useful piece of information or
equipment, your choice.
On a 7-9, you’re neck deep in it: you owe
someone in that Faction a Debt, and someone in that Faction owes
a Debt to you.
On a miss, you’re caught flat-footed, unprepared, or
unaware: the MC will tell you who is coming at you.

(Or at least it will be pretty darn onvious$

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 13:13, Tue 19 Mar 2019.

Hasan Shirazi (The Fae)
 player, 16 posts
 Hasan(Fae)
Fri 15 Mar 2019
at 16:52
Canals, convocations, and corruption- the second session
Hasan still trusts Claudia the least.
Claudia Horst (Aware)
 player, 30 posts
Sat 16 Mar 2019
at 10:13
Canals, convocations, and corruption- the second session
In reply to Hasan Shirazi (The Fae) (msg # 2):

Hasan, spotlight Mortality.
Claudia Horst (Aware)
 player, 31 posts
Sat 16 Mar 2019
at 10:16
Canals, convocations, and corruption- the second session
In reply to Claudia Horst (Aware) (msg # 3):

So, just to sum up what I think's going on with Claudia -
  1. She's had a revelation to trust her instincts and stop shying away from the truth, though she still doesn't really know what that truth is
  2. She's at the station (where Oggie is held) with Elsje and is awkwardly flirting with her and gets to ask her three questions.
  3. She's hiding her obsession with/crush on Estie, her therapist, which is all mixed up with her conspiracy theories.
  4. Claudia is "demi-pan sexual or maybe she's just gray-sexual." Maybe it's more of a squish than a crush? Claudia's confused.
  5. She thinks something is fishy with BZBB but doesn't really know what. Hasan is somehow involved. Jan is on the other side, and she covered for him so as to protect him from BZBB.
  6. She's not really over Ayesha.
  7. Mentor: Sylvana Van Der Flagg, cantankerous morally upright archivist. Nemesis: Paul Melson, dirty on the take bureaucrat from her department. Friend: Martin Berendse, director of the public library and local activist.
  8. Two unread texts Claudia sent last session might get read: to Terry, summoning him to the Eye, and to Soraya, warning her.


Claudia trusts Hasan the least.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:25, Sat 16 Mar 2019.

Soraya Tavalokian (Wizard)
 player, 21 posts
Sat 16 Mar 2019
at 15:31
Canals, convocations, and corruption- the second session
In reply to Master of Ceremonies (msg # 1):

Soraya trusts Claudia the least, specifically her discretion and competence. Soraya is suspicious that Claudia will either say something she shouldn't or involve herself in a situation that's way over hear head.
Claudia Horst (Aware)
 player, 32 posts
Sat 16 Mar 2019
at 15:34
Canals, convocations, and corruption- the second session
In reply to Soraya Tavalokian (Wizard) (msg # 5):

Soraya, highlight NIGHT
Hasan Shirazi (The Fae)
 player, 17 posts
 Hasan(Fae)
Sat 16 Mar 2019
at 16:53
Canals, convocations, and corruption- the second session
In reply to Claudia Horst (Aware) (msg # 4):

Claudia, spotlight NIGHT
Claudia Horst (Aware)
 player, 33 posts
Sat 16 Mar 2019
at 18:29
Canals, convocations, and corruption- the second session
In reply to Hasan Shirazi (The Fae) (msg # 7):

Last time I saw Martin -- this was just in passing, outside the library, we said we'd text and find a time to have lunch later -- I asked him about the group of "vampires" (obviously some kind of goth larper cult or whatever) who'd applied for membership in 180 Amsterdammers. We'd just thought it was so funny, as if vampires would fill out paperwork and apply for recognition. Maybe Amsterdam vampires would! So cute.

But his face fell when I met him and he said that when they hadn't gotten back to him, he'd visited their headquarters. It had gone overnight from a cute hipster startup vibe to a burned-out shell, broken windows, splintered furniture, charred walls. Like they hadn't just moved out but gone nuts and trashed the place -- or there'd been a fight, maybe. He tried to shrug it off, just life in real estate, right? But he seemed really disturbed. He told me he'd found a single playing card, an ace of spades, in the middle of the floor.

I got a 6.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:51, Sun 17 Mar 2019.

Soraya Tavalokian (Wizard)
 player, 22 posts
Sun 17 Mar 2019
at 03:09
Canals, convocations, and corruption- the second session
In reply to Claudia Horst (Aware) (msg # 6):

I rolled a 3

This message was last edited by the player at 03:37, Sun 17 Mar 2019.

Soraya Tavalokian (Wizard)
 player, 23 posts
Sun 17 Mar 2019
at 03:09
Canals, convocations, and corruption- the second session
In reply to Claudia Horst (Aware) (msg # 6):

And now I shall tell you about the night I had coffee with a demon.
We took an open table at the back of the café. I realized I was still holding his hand, so I let go, even though a part of me did not want to. He took a paper napkin from the dispenser and wiped the last of the foam from his face. He crumpled it, tossed it on the floor and grinned. The demon flickered behind Marc's eyes and I couldn't help but fill the silence.
I told him that I had been to the crumbling road in my dreams, which seemed to surprise him, and that Ima was trapped there. Against my better judgment, I asked him if he could help me free her and he said he knew of a vampire named Jan who had such abilities.
Could that be Jan, Ima’s old lover? The man who regularly visited her bedside and who I had seen on the crumbling road just a few hours ago? If he had been able to help all this time, why hadn’t he?
Marc downed the last of his coffee and said he'd be in touch. Then walked out of the café into the night.
I don't know how long I sat there staring at the grounds at the bottom of my cup but the sun was already staining the rooftops when I stumbled home.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:16, Sun 17 Mar 2019.

Hasan Shirazi (The Fae)
 player, 18 posts
 Hasan(Fae)
Sun 17 Mar 2019
at 17:41
Canals, convocations, and corruption- the second session
In reply to Claudia Horst (Aware) (msg # 3):

Hasan has heard rumors around the office that some Historical Preservationists are planning big protests at potential new development sites. Apparently even the mortals aren't happy with the way BZBB is plundering their historical sites.

Hasan rolled a 10

This message was last edited by the player at 22:20, Sun 17 Mar 2019.

Master of Ceremonies
 GM, 6 posts
Tue 19 Mar 2019
at 04:17
Canals, convocations, and corruption- the second session
In reply to Soraya Tavalokian (Wizard) (msg # 10):

Soraya must be practicing the story she's going to tell to her sisters, because she left out the parts they would never believe, and what they wouldn't want to know.

When they first sat down, Marc explained that his employer is an extremely important force in this town, and that he was mortified to hear about all the attempts to force Soraya out by his "competition".  He wants to make all those problems go away for Soraya, but they need something in return.  They need Ima (or her) to cast a spell for them, two weeks from tonight in the center of town and they need her to channel the power of the dream eater to do it.  The spell can't be cast without a powerful practitioner, skilled in the arts of blood oaths and dreams

The wizard they brought in from Belgium to cast the spell showed up dead in a canal last night.  He said this as if it was the sort of thing that happened all the time to wizards, and as if it would be of little concern to Soraya.

 They're hoping Soraya can accommodate them on short notice.  The pay is extraordinary, he says.

He slides a bag of 16th century silver coins across the table to her.

This is just a down payment, he says.

Think about it, he says.  Think about what you want to ask for, he says.  My employer is generous, but not patient he says.  Your dreams can come true, he says.

Marc told you the name of a place, where you could get in touch with him, gave you a token to contact him there.  What was the place?  What was the token?

This is when you spilled your guts about the crumbling road.  He touched your hand as he left.  As you approach the Eye the first beams come over the horizon, and you breathe the clean morning air, and jingle the weight of your coins in your sack.

The front window of the Eye is covered with cardboard and masking tape where Claudia went through last night.  Mercedes work probably?  As you're looking at it and wondering how many silver coins it will cost to repair, a hooded figure steps out of the shadows, wearing a tall brimmed hat, with his or her arms wrapped in bandages and wearing dark glasses that look like part of a historical costume.

"30 pieces of silver, Mistress Soraya?  With your grandmother so fragile, don't you think you'd better take better care of her than you did of your window?  Or your sister for that matter?"

Your mouth drops open

"Soraya!" somebody cries out behind you, you turn to see Hassan waving.  He's walking with a middle aged woman with colorful hair.

When you turn back around, the cloaked figure has melted into the morning shadows.

What do you do?

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:32, Tue 19 Mar 2019.

Master of Ceremonies
 GM, 7 posts
Tue 19 Mar 2019
at 04:35
Canals, convocations, and corruption- the second session
In reply to Hasan Shirazi (The Fae) (msg # 11):

You wake at 5am in the morning, your smartphone is buzzing.  Its a series of texts from Greta Bradshaw, a senior partner at MBA.

"those motherfuckers think they can kick me off the biggest account in Amsterdam?  I've been doing development deals longer than they've been alive.  Hassan, meet me at seven for breakfast at the cafe in the Van Gogh museum, and I'll bring the relevant files  I'll explain when you get here.  Don't breathe a motherfucking word to anybody about this, got it?"

Well you saw this coming a mile a way.  The client and/or the other partners finally got tired of how Greta's been sleepwalking through the whole BZB development maze and now they're trying to kick her off the case, maybe even out of the firm.  Greta must have caught wind of it, and she must have heard they're planning on giving you the book of business.  She's reaching out so she can put on the screws on to keep the business.

Good thing you somebody warned you this was coming.  You're pretty ready.

tell us what you had lined up beforehand that gives you the upperhand?

Well, shit, now you're up and you have a Few hours to kill before your breakfast.

20 minutes later, you and Chamrosh are climbing out of a cab by the psychic eye.

You learned something interesting from Chamrosh in the ride about the court of Storms... what was it?
You see Soraya.  Chamrosh has turned the black taxicab a fluorescent mauve color, and after you tip the driver you call out to Soraya who appears to be staring dumbfoundedly at a dark, empty alleyway.

"Soraya", you cry!

"Nightcrawler" murmmurs Chamrosh.

What do you do?

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:16, Tue 19 Mar 2019.

Master of Ceremonies
 GM, 8 posts
Tue 19 Mar 2019
at 13:12
Canals, convocations, and corruption- the second session
In reply to Claudia Horst (Aware) (msg # 8):

You are up late into the night chatting with Elsje and scoping out the police station.

You actually ran into Oggie.  He was sitting handcuffed on a bench waiting for his appointment to see the night judge.

He recognized you and asked you to do something.  What did he ask you to do again?  It was strange.

You didn't have time to answer.  A cop came over and shoo'd you away.

After Elsje took your statement it was already 4:30 in the morning.  She offered to drive you home, in her little two person eco-squad car,  but you left your bike over by the Psychic Eye, and you're supposed to do a sunrise yoga session with Estie at 6:00 so Elsje drove you the short distance to your bike instead.

She was being very kind.  A little flirtatious, perhaps?  She told you there was a place on that block that had the best Stroopwaffle in Amsterdam, and that the secret was to get it before the place opened, and that all the police officers went there when their late shifts were done.

She parked in the alley behind the Eye.  You chatted a bit more.  Learned a little more about her.  She said she'd go grab it and be right back.  She reached over and tousled your hair a little before she got out of the car.

She left the radio on, it's playing an old American pop song... "once upon a time I was falling in love, and now its only love in the dark...."

Something is wrong.  You click the radio off.  Two men are coming out the window on the second floor of the Eye, but instead of climbing down the drainpipe they each scuttle head first like cockroaches down the side of the building and into the alley where you are parked.  In the fading light of your streetlamps and the first light of morning you watch them stand up at the bottom of the wall.  One of them runs over and lifts a manhole cover like it weighs nothing.  The other stares at you.  He sees you somehow, even with the reflection of the light on the outside of the car.  He shouldn't see you but he does.

And you see him.  And you know him: Conrad Volker.  He works in the department of public works.  Sometimes you work with them when you need the public infrastructure inspected.  The canals or the sewers or the properties that butt up against something historic.

He smiles at you and raises his hands up like a conductor asking the orchestra to play louder.  He hold them there for a full 10 seconds and you wonder, "has he gone mad?"

Suddenly, A large black rat  with a grey belly comes climbing over the hood of the mini car, and four more follow it.  You hear scratching noises behind you, under you.  On the window to your left, they're scratching at the glass.  You left the window next to you cracked and you quickly fumble to roll it up.  Soon the entire car is blanketed with wet oily sewer rats, scratching and burrowing and chewing on the soft parts of the car.  You feel the entire car is vibrating, and the weight of hundreds or maybe thousands of malevolent little  eyes through the glass wanting to chew their way into your bowels.

What do you do?
Claudia Horst (Aware)
 player, 34 posts
Tue 19 Mar 2019
at 15:37
Canals, convocations, and corruption- the second session
In reply to Master of Ceremonies (msg # 14):

Okay so first, I had held three questions from figuring Elsje out, as you may recall. I had plenty of time while she was flirting with me to do just that. So here are the three things I was figuring out about Elsje in the wee hours of the Amsterdam morning.

  • What does Elsje worry might happen?
  • Who is pulling Elsje's strings?
    And, though I don't really want to have my attention on this, or to ask it, or to know it, or anything, nonetheless, I can't help myself:
  • How could I get Elsje to love me?


As for Oggie: he asked me to retrieve something from his apartment, and to bring it to Mama Aisa. The name seems familiar but I don't know if I actually know who he's talking about. He was sort of ranting, describing where the spare key is and how it's wrapped in a green cloth and how desperate he was. I don't need to tell you this was extremely awkward coming from the Tinder date I bailed on because he was high as a kite and hadn't bathed in days. I got away from him as quickly as possible.

Now we return to the present. There are rats all over my car. Elsje's car. This is not something I am used to. Nothing in my relationship with Conrad thus far has prepared me for this. In fact nothing, period, has prepared me for this, so I'm going to roll to keep my cool. Let's see how I do.

i got an 8, so I hold it together, but you should tell me what it's going to cost me.

Well now, as for Mr. Volker. This rat business seems very unkind of him. I know him, but how well do I know him? Let me put a name to a face. If he's politically important, I get to roll with Mind (+2) and know a dangerous secret about him or his machinations on a hit -- is he? The rules say it's my call, but I'm not very clear on how high Volker ranks in the hierarchy. If he's not politically important I'm just rolling with his Faction -- which, on present evidence, is likely to be Night. Which would be a zero. I'll assume I'm rolling +0, but if he's politically important we can pump the roll up.

... A six. That's not great. (If he was politically important, it would be an eight, in which case I'd know a dangerous secret about him or his political machinations; do let me know if that's the case. Perhaps we could interpret "politically" in terms of low-level office politics, as opposed to city-wide politics, in which case the secret I know about him would be something appropriately petty?)

Very well. I try to start the car, and turn the windshield wipers on.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:40, Tue 19 Mar 2019.

Master of Ceremonies
 GM, 9 posts
Tue 19 Mar 2019
at 16:58
Re: Canals, convocations, and corruption- the second session
Claudia Horst (Aware):
Okay so first, I had held three questions from figuring Elsje out, as you may recall. I had plenty of time while she was flirting with me to do just that. So here are the three things I was figuring out about Elsje in the wee hours of the Amsterdam morning.

  • What does Elsje worry might happen?
  • Who is pulling Elsje's strings?
    And, though I don't really want to have my attention on this, or to ask it, or to know it, or anything, nonetheless, I can't help myself:
  • How could I get Elsje to love me?


Below the surface seemed worried that you would think that she didn't believe you, or that you weren't taking the investigation seriously, but underneath that she seemed worried that you are going to insist on pursuing the investigation against the flaming pro wrestler cosplayer.  She relaxed when it became clear that you were not going to push on that

After watching them all night, you are convinced that almost the entire station (including Elsje) is bending over backwards to appear to be pursuing the flaming wrestling cosplayer, but that they are actually covering his tracks.  Either he is pulling the strings or whoever he is working for is pulling the strings.

Elsje is queer and hot, and it seems like she gets a lot of low commitment sexual attention whenever she wants it.  As you spend time with her however, its clear that she's actually deeply lonely and has nobody to talk to.  If you give her gentle understanding attention, she pours her heart out and comes alive.  Coming out of her tough exterior... Tearing up, giggling like a teenager.  She needs somebody to talk to, who's not trying to get in her pants, and you've always been an excellent listener.  That's how you could get her to maybe love you.

quote:
There are rats all over my car. Elsje's car. This is not something I am used to. Nothing in my relationship with Conrad thus far has prepared me for this. In fact nothing, period, has prepared me for this, so I'm going to roll to keep my cool. Let's see how I do.

i got an 8, so I hold it together, but you should tell me what it's going to cost me.


The most important part of holding it together is that suddenly the floor matt in the driver's seat starts to move and you jumped over and stomped on the rat that had just pushed its way through a hole in the floor next to the gas petal.

You can't see the rat, because it's under the floor mat, but you hear a piercing squeal, and you seem to have trapped it against the floor under the mat.  You carefully climb over into the drivers seat, maintaining the pressure on the rat to keep it pinned where it is.

You have plugged the hole but you have given up your mobility to do it.  The rat is still squirming.


quote:
Well now, as for Mr. Volker. This rat business seems very unkind of him. I know him, but how well do I know him? Let me put a name to a face. If he's politically important, I get to roll with Mind (+2) and know a dangerous secret about him or his machinations on a hit -- is he? The rules say it's my call, but I'm not very clear on how high Volker ranks in the hierarchy. If he's not politically important I'm just rolling with his Faction -- which, on present evidence, is likely to be Night. Which would be a zero. I'll assume I'm rolling +0, but if he's politically important we can pump the roll up.

... A six. That's not great. (If he was politically important, it would be an eight, in which case I'd know a dangerous secret about him or his political machinations; do let me know if that's the case. Perhaps we could interpret "politically" in terms of low-level office politics, as opposed to city-wide politics, in which case the secret I know about him would be something appropriately petty?)


Okay, well you didn't consider him politically important before, but now that you've seen him disgorge a plague of rats from the sewer, it comes to you in a thunderbolt.  Maybe he's a missing link when you're doing your homework.

Somebody has been keeping BZB from getting the permits it needs to start construction in the centre.  Who better than DPW inspector to keep finding problems to keep them from starting.

Now you're onto him!  Unfortunately, you realize, he's onto you too.

quote:
Very well. I try to start the car, and turn the windshield wipers on.



You start the car.  The radio is still playing that ridiculous old Anthem "WE'RE LIVING IN A POWDER KEG AND GIVING OFF SPARKS!"

Pinning the rat to the floor through the matt, you turn the key and turn the windshield wipers on.  The wipers push the smaller rats off the car, smearing the windshield with grease and sewage.

"I REALLY NEED YOU TONIGHT"

The larger rats, however attack the wipers.  with their teeth.

"FOREVER'S GONNA START TONIGHT"

They go back and forth one and a half times before the right wiper stops and start making a mechanical clacking sound.

"FOREVER'S GONNA START TONIGHT!"

The left wiper rolls up over a rat where it sticks right in front of your eyes.  The wiper must have cut the rat because there's blood running down the window.  The rat's eyes grow large and desperate, looking into yours.

"ONCE UPON A TIME THERE WAS LIGHT IN MY LIFE..."

His brothers begin to busily rip open his belly and smear blood all over the windshield..

BUT NOW THERE'S ONLY LOVE IN THE DARK.

The car is dinging to remind you to fasten your seatbelt, and the "electrical system alarm" light is blinking at you.

NOTHING I CAN SAY... A TOTAL E....

The radio suddenly squawks off but the police siren begins to wail in a low but loud growl that no police car is supposed to make.

Its howling like a wolf, the blood is spreading across the windshield and you feel the the rat under your foot is trying to bitE its way through the mat that's keeping them out

What do you do?

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:09, Tue 19 Mar 2019.

Hasan Shirazi (The Fae)
 player, 19 posts
 Hasan(Fae)
Tue 19 Mar 2019
at 19:20
Canals, convocations, and corruption- the second session
Hasan has been using Greta's incompetence to cover for Claudia and make sure Jan and Soraya aren't bought out by BZBB. He doesn't actually want the account because then he would be forced to do his due diligence for the client and his loyalties are torn. Unfortunately this has thrown Greta under the bus and his secretary told him that the buzz around the office is they're going to take her off the account.

Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
He spends breakfast listening to Greta break down over business and makes all the necessary reassuring sounds so she knows he is "on her side." In reality he doesn't care who gets the account as long as it isn't himself. One way or another he'll find out on Monday and deal with it then.



Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Returning home to
Chamrosh flitting around his apartment was a delight. She'd changed the color of her hair to blue and purple and her clothes to a matching blue salwar kameez with sparkles on the hem lines. His kitchen table somehow sported daisies and the whole apartment had an indescribable smell of summer. He wondered briefly how such a summer being ended up working for the Queen of the Winter court but decided that was a question for another day.

"Shall we go visit a Wizard?" he asked, and was buoyed by her answering smile.

On the cab ride there he tried to tell Chamrosh the story of Ima and Jan and Sorya but as two beings from different courts must they eventually started talking about court politics.

"I've heard that your liege is in love with a mortal man," Chamrosh revealed with a smirk.

"Impossible," Hasan replied, "The King of Storms does not get swept up in such frivolity!"

"Well you can't say I didn't try to tell you."

"Alright then, who is it, which mortal man has the attentions of the King of Storms?"

"I don't know his name," said Chamrosh, "only that he is a musician whose music has captured the heart of your King."

Hasan's mind boggled. If it were true it was yet another reason for him to have sent Hasan away. Who wants the company of one with a broken heart while falling in new love? What was to become of this poor mortal? Did Hasan even care? Perhaps even the King of Storms, with all of his great responsibilities, deserved to experience love.

"Well," Hasan said with a shake of his head, "for the mortal's sake, I certainly hope it is requited!"

And then they were at Soraya's. The Psychic Eye looked like it had seen better days. There was glass everywhere and cardboard covering the window. Soraya stood outside staring down an alleyway.  He called out to her.

"Soraya!"

"Nightcrawler," murmured Chamrosh.

"What was that?" said Hasan, turning his head to catch her eyes.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:09, Wed 20 Mar 2019.

Master of Ceremonies
 GM, 10 posts
Wed 20 Mar 2019
at 02:31
Hassan and Soroya!
In reply to Hasan Shirazi (The Fae) (msg # 17):

Chamosh gestures towards the alley.  She runs her fingers through her hair and blows on her hand, and an iridescent bloom of color springs into the air settling and sticking in a set of footprints leading away from the front door of the Eye into the alley.

Handprints appear all over the cardboard covering the window.

"You see?  Its a son or daughter of the Queen of the Night, Hassan.

Some of the color, settles in bands in orbit around Sorayas shape, creating little outlines and waves of shiny glitter around her, like a sketch of translucent Russian nesting dolls.

“This must be your Wizard, Hassan!  She’s delightful!  She simply emanates!”

A wailing howling sound starts around the back of the eye.  Your blood runs cold. No animal in the mortal sphere makes a sound like that.  Something is dying, or killing or fucking or giving birth in the alley.

Hassan and Soraya, what do you do?

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:02, Wed 20 Mar 2019.

Claudia Horst (Aware)
 player, 35 posts
Wed 20 Mar 2019
at 07:03
Re: Canals, convocations, and corruption- the second session
In reply to Master of Ceremonies (msg # 16):

Okay, time to multitask. That's one of my strengths as a harried bureaucrat. I'm going to pursue two courses simultaneously.

The first is to start driving.

I assume "the alley behind the Eye" refers to Evertswertstraat, since it's the smaller of the two roads the Eye borders (so the Eye probably fronts onto Tussen Meer). It's 350 meters ( https://goo.gl/maps/FSo1WKAHYd42 ) -- against traffic on Evertsweertstraat, over the curb and into the Stadspark Osdorp, along the paths -- to plunge the car into the Hoekensgracht. If the car seems like it can make it 350 meters before being eaten by rats, and if the Hoekensgracht is deep enough to submerge the car -- at least mostly -- and force the rats to disperse, but shallow enough that it should be relatively easy to swim out and escape, I may be able to lose the horde. (This depth seems likely for a residential canal in Amsterdam, and it seems like Claudia would know for sure how deep the canals around here are, being a local resident and city planner.)

While driving, I'm going to take out my cell phone and try to attain enough leverage on Volker to get him to call off his rats and negotiate with me directly. I have his number (Claudia's a mess in her personal life, but meticulous about work), but I'm not calling him first. I assume he's trying to take me out because I saw him sneaking around. With a little digging, I hope to find something that will let me convince him that what I can reveal via cell phone between now and when I get eaten by rats is going to be way worse for his career and his goals than the deal we could cut if he calls off the horde. (Obviously, I would not tell anyone that he had rats attack me: that would just get me dismissed as crazy. I would just very calmly reveal enough mundane dirt to have him lose his job and probably begin an administrative investigation, also journalists, his name all over the papers as a corrupt city official, lots of public attention, the possibility of civil lawsuits, that sort of thing).

This would be particularly effective if -- now that the missing link in my homework has fallen into place -- I can connect the dots in such a way as to implicate him in mundane, plausible, totally believable dirty dealing (even if he's in fact innocent of it, as long as it's plausible enough to make his life hell).

I don't know if I need to roll to drive a car covered by rats the wrong way down a street in the middle of the night, through a park and into a canal, while holding a rat with my foot. If I do need to roll, it's probably Keep Your Cool; but since I did just roll a hit on Keep Your Cool for being in a car covered by rats, I'm going to assume that still applies. If you want me to roll another, let me know. (If you rule that it's impossible for me to both drive and call, let me know that too).

On the phone, the first thing I do is call the person most likely to have dirt on Volker. Luckily, I know a guy, as my move is named. In this case the guy is Floris Gelderlander, the arch, catty, idealistic and vengeful records secretary in public works who has a vast horde of gossip and intrigue on everybody in that department. If Volker is at all dirty, or even does anything suspicious, Floris will know; and if not, Floris will at least know who would like to see Volker fall.  I'm hitting the streets with Mortality, but rolling with Mind due to I know a guy. Bang, an 11.

On a hit, "they’re available and have the stuff." The stuff I need is juicy dirt on Volker that will convince him to call off his rats.

Tell me how that conversation goes.

When I call Volker, I'm going to figure him out. I'll go ahead and roll that now in case you want to segue straight from Gelderlander into me calling Volker.

Ugh, I got a 5 on figuring out Volker. So I have no hold to spend on figuring him out. The dirt I got from Gelderlander will have to do.

During that conversation I'll plan to either try to persuade Volker, or possibly to misdirect him. But I'll see what you have to tell me first.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 07:04, Wed 20 Mar 2019.

Master of Ceremonies
 GM, 11 posts
Wed 20 Mar 2019
at 13:34
Re: Canals, convocations, and corruption- the second session
quote:
Okay, time to multitask. That's one of my strengths as a harried bureaucrat. I'm going to pursue two courses simultaneously.


Even though you are going to try and do these two things simultaneously, in order to multitask, first you have to get the car moving, and as you'll recall, what you gave up to keep your cool was your MOBILITY.

The squirmy rat under your foot came up through a hole under the gas pedal, and he's still there doing his or her damnest to eat Elsje's police issue car mats.

You might be able to simply stomp down through the mat to kill the little bugger, then you'd need to figure out how to get it out of the way without letting its brethren in behind it.  If you opt for this approach, you need to roll on Blood (+2 since you already have it trapped under your foot in a hole.)

But until you deal with that the car isn't going anyplace


quote:
I assume "the alley behind the Eye" refers to Evertswertstraat, since it's the smaller of the two roads the Eye borders (so the Eye probably fronts onto Tussen Meer). It's 350 meters ( https://goo.gl/maps/FSo1WKAHYd42 ) -- against traffic on Evertsweertstraat, over the curb and into the Stadspark Osdorp, along the paths -- to plunge the car into the Hoekensgracht. If the car seems like it can make it 350 meters before being eaten by rats, and if the Hoekensgracht is deep enough to submerge the car -- at least mostly -- and force the rats to disperse, but shallow enough that it should be relatively easy to swim out and escape, I may be able to lose the horde. (This depth seems likely for a residential canal in Amsterdam, and it seems like Claudia would know for sure how deep the canals around here are, being a local resident and city planner.)


Yup, I scoped out the map.  Everything you say seems accurate, except you are actually going with traffic according to street view.

quote:
While driving, I'm going to take out my cell phone and try to attain enough leverage on Volker to get him to call off his rats and negotiate with me directly. I have his number (Claudia's a mess in her personal life, but meticulous about work), but I'm not calling him first. I assume he's trying to take me out because I saw him sneaking around. With a little digging, I hope to find something that will let me convince him that what I can reveal via cell phone between now and when I get eaten by rats is going to be way worse for his career and his goals than the deal we could cut if he calls off the horde. (Obviously, I would not tell anyone that he had rats attack me: that would just get me dismissed as crazy. I would just very calmly reveal enough mundane dirt to have him lose his job and probably begin an administrative investigation, also journalists, his name all over the papers as a corrupt city official, lots of public attention, the possibility of civil lawsuits, that sort of thing).

This would be particularly effective if -- now that the missing link in my homework has fallen into place -- I can connect the dots in such a way as to implicate him in mundane, plausible, totally believable dirty dealing (even if he's in fact innocent of it, as long as it's plausible enough to make his life hell).


So the plan is to do all this while you drive the car into the river?  are you going to drive super super slow?  Lets get the car moving first, and then we'll try hitting the streets.

quote:
I don't know if I need to roll to drive a car covered by rats the wrong way down a street in the middle of the night, through a park and into a canal, while holding a rat with my foot. If I do need to roll, it's probably Keep Your Cool; but since I did just roll a hit on Keep Your Cool for being in a car covered by rats, I'm going to assume that still applies. If you want me to roll another, let me know. (If you rule that it's impossible for me to both drive and call, let me know that too).


Right now you're immobile. You could stay immobile and start calling?

quote:
On the phone, the first thing I do is call the person most likely to have dirt on Volker. Luckily, I know a guy, as my move is named. In this case the guy is Floris Gelderlander, the arch, catty, idealistic and vengeful records secretary in public works who has a vast horde of gossip and intrigue on everybody in that department. If Volker is at all dirty, or even does anything suspicious, Floris will know; and if not, Floris will at least know who would like to see Volker fall.  I'm hitting the streets with Mortality, but rolling with Mind due to I know a guy. Bang, an 11.

On a hit, "they’re available and have the stuff." The stuff I need is juicy dirt on Volker that will convince him to call off his rats.

Tell me how that conversation goes.

When I call Volker, I'm going to figure him out. I'll go ahead and roll that now in case you want to segue straight from Gelderlander into me calling Volker.

Ugh, I got a 5 on figuring out Volker. So I have no hold to spend on figuring him out. The dirt I got from Gelderlander will have to do.

During that conversation I'll plan to either try to persuade Volker, or possibly to misdirect him. But I'll see what you have to tell me first.


I'm deferring all this until you either get the car moving and you can multitask, or abandon your quest to dump the car in the canal and start making business calls before the rats eat you.
Hasan Shirazi (The Fae)
 player, 20 posts
 Hasan(Fae)
Wed 20 Mar 2019
at 17:15
Hassan and Soroya!
Hasan hesitates; he doesn't want to drag Chamrosh into danger. One look at her keenly interested face makes up his mind. At least whatever this is won't be boring, and Chamrosh can take care of herself. He books it to the back of the Eye, Chamrosh right on his heels. Behind the Eye is a vehicle shaped mound of slimy rats writhing and chewing at anything they can get their ferocious little teeth on. This seems to be the source of the sound as well. A closer examination as the rats writhe around the vehicle and. . .a glimpse through the window: someone is struggling inside!

Hasan grins as he allows the storm to flow through him in a way he cannot if he wants to fit in in mortal society. But Hasan is the storm and he revels in it. He unleashes his Wild Fury upon the rats as bolts of lightning strike the mass, charring and incapacitating the slimy creatures. Will it be enough to rescue whoever is in the vehicle?

(Wild Fury does 2 harm to close area and Hasan marks corruption)
Master of Ceremonies
 GM, 12 posts
Wed 20 Mar 2019
at 18:07
Hassan and Soroya!
In reply to Hasan Shirazi (The Fae) (msg # 21):

Hassan, can you tell us about what happens when you unleash your wild fury?  How does it manifest?  Is it just lightening or are there other atmospheric effects?  Do you have to do anything with your body or say anything?  What effects does it have on the surrounding environments?
Hasan Shirazi (The Fae)
 player, 21 posts
 Hasan(Fae)
Wed 20 Mar 2019
at 19:49
Hassan and Soroya!
When Hasan unleashes lightning with Wild Fury a storm cloud grows above the area and his body and eyes crackle with lightning. Lightning shoots from both the cloud and Hasan's hands and eyes to strike everything in a given area. It is not a very subtle effect and would be noticeable from a distance if anyone is paying attention to the sky. The storm cloud evaporates once the Wild Fury is over but Hasan still crackles a little and anyone who touches him will get a harmless but painful shock.
Master of Ceremonies
 GM, 13 posts
Thu 21 Mar 2019
at 01:08
The effects of Wild Fury on the Rats
In reply to Hasan Shirazi (The Fae) (msg # 23):

quote:
A storm cloud grows above the area and Hassan's body and eyes crackle with lightning. Lightning shoots from both the cloud and Hasan's hands and eyes to strike everything in a given area. It is not a very subtle effect and would be noticeable from a distance if anyone is paying attention to the sky. The storm cloud evaporates once the Wild Fury is over but Hasan still crackles a little and anyone who touches him will get a harmless but painful shock.


From where Claudia is sitting, one second she's considering trying to figure out how to snap the neck of the cheeky little bugger under her $22 flats and the next minute, the rats are crackling and sparks are flying out of their eyes and lights are flashing and hair is burning.  Some of the rats are dying and some of them are squealing in fear and pain and they are all running.

The rat under her feet must have scrambled backwards out of the hole.

All the rats that survied are fleeing, streaming down the manhole cover, or up the 350 yards to the canal, or down storm drains

Claudia feels something dragging against her head and she flails at it, thinking that maybe one of the rats got in, but in point of fact her hair seems to have stood up on end and the electricity has stuck her hair to the carpeted roof of the car.

The rats on the car were suffered less damage, protected as Claudia was, by being held aloft by the insulation of rubber tires.  If Claudia opens the door of the car and steps out she find the car is surrounded by dozens of smoking, blackened rat corpses, and that she is being rained upon gently by a small cloud that has opened up right over the car and is washing the blood off the windshield.

Hassan is crackling and sparking, and Charmoush is taking a video with the phone of the person she inhabited to come to the mortal world.

Soraya stands behind them, her mouth open.

At this moment, Elsje comes around the corner and stops agape, and drops a freshly baked stroopwaffle in the street.

Its about 5:45 am and the sun is rising.

What do you do?