Trial Run.   Posted by Game Master.Group: 0
Inzhu
 NPC, 2 posts
 İrşi
 Mentor Spirit of Air
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 04:27
Trial Run
What Inzhu is doing is closer to a fond chuckle, but if you didn't see it, it might come off as a snicker.

This message was last updated by the player at 22:18, Sat 01 Sept 2018.

Red
 player, 3 posts
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 14:41
Trial Run
Red picks up the cup and takes a deep appreciative smell before a small sip.  "job, insurance, pay ... yep, got it, what do you need done?" she asks.

This message was last updated by the GM at 22:17, Sat 01 Sept 2018.

Oni
 player, 1 post
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 17:35
Trial Run
The door opens once again as Oni enters. "My apologies" he says as he finds a seat at the table. He wears a long coat, gear with low key Neo-Samurai styling but the thing that really stands out is the lower half of his face is covered in a red mask with curling fangs and a snarling visage. It's almost enough to distract from the scars that adorn the rest of his face, including one long horizontal line across his eyes. He gives a quick nod to everyone, halting almost imperceptibly at Sonnet, giving a slightly heavier nod. "Is that tea?" he says, looking toward Pax and her stone thermos.

This message was last updated by the GM at 22:18, Sat 01 Sept 2018.

Sonnet
 player, 3 posts
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 17:42
Trial Run
Sonnet blinks at Oni before returning the nod. "Ah," he says levelly. "So glad to see you will be joining us." He takes another long sip from his mug. "I can highly recommend the tea."

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 22:17, Sat 01 Sept 2018.

Enigma
 GM, 3 posts
 Fixer Extraordinaire
Fri 31 Aug 2018
at 00:01
Trial Run
"Good.  I had little doubt you were ready for this offer, but it is always best to confirm your commitments before spilling the details."

Enigma's face is replaced on the screen with a spinning corporate logo.



"A local journalist by the name of Ludmila Jimenez was found dead in her Tacoma apartment last night.  Lone Star ruled the death a suicide.  My client believes otherwise."

The image shifts to a 3d aerial view of Seattle, then zooms in on an area toward the city's outer periphery, revealing a rather ugly and run-down industrial facility of some kind.

"Jimenez was investigating a foodstuff packing and processing facility Aztechnology maintains on the outer Renton limits.  Apparently rumor has it that the Big A is using the facility to move something much more valuable, and far less legal, than soynut bars and krill chips.  The client believes it is some manner of prototype cybertech, or possibly biotech."

Enigma's floating head appears once more.  "You are to gain access to the facility, locate the illicit items, and acquire proof that they are there - whether that means taking one with you, or making some form of recording in the event it is something that cannot be carried.  It is unclear at this stage whether the value to my client will be in studying some newtech gizmo or in blackmailing the Azzies with the threat of revealing their off-the-books operation.  You'll have to use your judgement and adapt according to what you learn."

"You have 48 hours for this run -- you'll report back to me at a location to be determined at this time two days from now and transfer any data or items you've gathered.  Now I'll be off and on to other business, unless you have any pertinent questions?  If you need to make any purchases I can help connect you with a supplier through the usual channels, no need to take more time here and now for shopping."

Do any of you wish to ask any questions of your Fixer before he signs off?

This message was last updated by the player at 22:18, Sat 01 Sept 2018.

Pax
 player, 3 posts
Fri 31 Aug 2018
at 02:49
Trial Run
Pax's perpetual smile wavers tremulously at the masked man's entrance, but she slides him a cup of tea without spilling any. She is very lucky everyone is so receptive to the drink, since there have been occasions in the past where runners preferred paranoia over common sense. It makes her happy, off-setting a bit of the nerves that linger at the base of her throat. Perhaps, even if she is not very useful on this run they will still let her make tea for everyone afterwards.

"Ah... Good luck, today, Mr. Enigma! I hope you have good business today!" The shaman fiddles with her necklace, poking at the candle wax as she waves her boss away. Pax still isn't really sure what Enigma does, only that he certainly looks formal enough for a businessman and she figures everyone engages in business in one form or another. Irregardless of how he spends his time she likes to imagine that it is pleasant and lucrative.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 22:18, Sat 01 Sept 2018.

Sonnet
 player, 4 posts
Fri 31 Aug 2018
at 13:36
Trial Run
Sonnet turns to Enigma's projection with a wry half-smile. "What she said. We'll see you soon."

As he turns his face away from the projector, his brow immediately crinkles in thought. He finishes his mug, rifling through his mental list of contacts, waiting for Enigma to sign off before addressing his team.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:18, Sat 01 Sept 2018.

Enigma
 GM, 4 posts
 Fixer Extraordinaire
Sat 1 Sep 2018
at 22:16
Trial Run
"Excellent.  If there are critical questions later you're free to ping me, though I cannot guarantee the timeliness of my reply.  You'll each receive an email shortly, with relevant details and data.  Best of luck, chummers."

The Enigma-holo vanishes, and each of your personal devices (datapads, wrist phones, etc.) blinks registering a new message.

What do you do?

This message was last updated by the player at 22:16, Sat 01 Sept 2018.

Red
 player, 4 posts
Sun 2 Sep 2018
at 00:11
Trial Run
Red turns to the team and leans back in her chair.  "Seems straightforward enough,  Pretty-boy is a client, waves cash in their face for a big deal in the Tir, but needs to see the merch before he can close.  I'm the tech help to do the analysis, The lady with the tea is there to make sure there isn't anything astral hanging around to mess with the worker bees holding up their elf lords and tall, dark, and scary is his bodyguard.  We go in, inspect the factory, take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints."

"How does that sound?"
Sonnet
 player, 5 posts
Sun 2 Sep 2018
at 01:20
Trial Run
Sonnet tilts his head, considering. "If we could confirm that they've already started putting out feelers for buyers, then we should be able to build something plausible enough to get a foot in. Otherwise, showing up acting like we know anything special's on the menu sounds like a good way to get hosed fast, and I'm not sure that even I can sell Sir Ponce-a-lot wanting a personal tour of the chip factory. I suspect we're going to want to go more stealth on this one."

He starts reading through the message, looking to see how much in the way of usable intel might be there.
Game Master
 GM, 8 posts
Sun 2 Sep 2018
at 01:26
Trial Run
The messages you all received contain all the essential details you need to start pursuing any angle you wish on investigating this.  They do not, however, provide any solid information.  You'll have to follow up and discover that for yourselves.
Oni
 player, 2 posts
Sun 2 Sep 2018
at 02:50
Trial Run
With a small, quick sound akin to a dentist's drill, Oni removes his mask to sip at the tea while he reads the message, furrowing his brow slightly, going over the more practical gear to bring while trying to keep things quiet. "Well, I assume we're trying to avoid unnecessary bloodshed, even if it's from the Azzies."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:52, Sun 02 Sept 2018.

Pax
 player, 4 posts
Sun 2 Sep 2018
at 04:11
Trial Run
Pax startles, her hands rising to push tangled hair away from her face as she cocks her head to the side, listening to a faraway noise. It wasn't often that Inzhu inserted herself into the conversation and the spirit-walker was disinclined to ignore the irshi's warnings. Even if they made little sense. Then again, a lot of life made little sense to Pax. Which is why Inzhu had so graciously deigned to lend her wisdom in these situations.

Chewing at her bottom lip, Pax watches the others talk and plan as she looks from face to face. She doesn't like being suspicious. It is tiring, and it makes her feel ugly inside. However, Inzhu is never wrong, not even when the Mage's said the exact opposite. It is just... the shaman has no clue what to do with her doubts now that they have been planted. She supposes Inzhu wants her to water them and see what sprouts. Only, that sort of cultivation is never good for the soul...

"A murderer can be kind, though, Hocam. And a liar knows how to appreciate the truth, most of all. Sometimes machines hide things for efficiencies sake, is that not so?"

Pax spoke to the thin air, her eyes tracing motes of dust as they float towards the table. It was instinct to leave things like that, to avoid prodding murky waters, but Inzhu deserved better from her disciple. And, too, Pax understood what the spirit was trying to say. She had seen several of these people before, and not always in overly kind settings. Which was rather the point. "Does anyone know what they are doing, Hocam? I will try, though, for you. Always, yes?"

She smiles then, bright and cheerful, as she leans forward. How she was so lucky as to have been blessed with Izhu, Pax would never know. Her ancestors must have been powerful indeed to leave her such a gift.

"Quiet is probably best," the shaman adds to the tail end of the scarred man's comment, unironically returning to the conversation as if nothing had just occurred.
Game Master
 GM, 9 posts
Sun 2 Sep 2018
at 05:49
Trial Run
Pax addresses the empty air, and it does not seem to respond.

I will be opening a new thread titled "Trial Run - Legwork" for the Legwork phase of the run.  I will also open new threads for any and all locations or leads you decide to investigate in more detail.
Enigma
 NPC, 6 posts
 Fixer Extraordinaire
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 05:05
Trial Run
An hour before the appointed time, Enigma transmits to each of you the meeting location.  You assemble in the back room of a seedy bar on the border of the Puyallup Barrens and Ft. Lewis called The Big "O" where the noise and the strippers out front provide more than enough distraction for you to be confident of your privacy.  Enigma's face appears to you this time on a vidscreen that might be an antique.

"You can leave the item you recovered here.  You'll find a compartment under the table... yes, that's it.  Someone will be by to collect it after we're finished.  Well done!  I'm glad you all made it through in one piece... if I can hardly say unscathed."

He pauses, looking almost embarrassed for a moment.  "I admit, this mission was riskier than I would have liked, for the pay involved.  I decided to take it anyway because I suspected you might uncover something well worth uncovering... and it looks like you did.  Still... I regret the hardships you suffered along the way.  I took the liberty of negotiating a little extra from our client on your behalf - based on the recovery of hard proof, and the hazards you faced.  You'll find a credstick for each of you in that same compartment, worth 1,500."

Enigma takes a moment while you recover your pay, adjusts the cuffs of his suit, and folds his hands in front of him, before continuing.  "As you have likely already surmised, part of the Cavalry's role on this mission in particular was to evaluate your performance.  You surprised them, and me, by picking a harder - yet surer - course of action, rather than the safety of subtlety at risk of failing the mission."  His face abruptly breaks into a grin that can only be genuine - even ever so faintly goofy.  "In that respect, you exceeded my expectations."
Sonnet
 player, 11 posts
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 13:02
Trial Run
Sonnet mirrors Enigma's grin back at him. "Well we weren't about to let your package waltz out the front door, chummer." He chuckles a little, sounding faintly buzzed on post-battle adrenaline. "Can't say I was entirely thrilled with the risk/reward balance on this one either. But it seems like we might just about have the makings of a team here."
Pax
 player, 8 posts
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 16:04
Trial Run
Pax lingered close behind the group, peeking out around Oni's bulk in awed fascination at the bar scene as they slipped towards the back. She still wasn't sure how safe the obsidian statue would be for her newfound friends, so Pax had kept it tucked neatly beneath one arm after wrapping it in a few layers of scarfs.

At Enigma's direction, she gently set the statue in the deposit beneath the table, patting it one last time in tacit apology. This was the worst part of the mission. Not the shooting or the explosions or the creepy Mage; but knowing that she was leaving this spirit in bondage for her own profit. Though the explosions had been pretty bad, too, and Pax plopped into a seat near the table as she daubed at the blood seeping through her sleeves. It hadn't hurt much before, but almost as soon as Enigma had mentioned it she realized that she had actually been hit. Pax had never been in an explosion before.

Half her mind on the spirit under the table and half on the stark recollection of what had just happened, Pax paid little mind to the conversation going on between their Fixer and everyone else.
Red
 player, 6 posts
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 20:47
Trial Run
Red picked up the credstick and hoped the bonus would be enough to cover the parts she'd need to get Hyde back up and running.  She limped out thinking it had been an interesting week, not exactly the milkrun she'd expected from a first job but an interesting team shaping up.  they'de need to be careful, this had involved more combat then they were really set up for (as the ache in her legs continually reminded her) but with more time to prep a good cover and use pretty-boy's talents there was a lot they could do.  And Pax, well she was an odd duck, no question about that but she seemed to know what was what when it came to the astral plane and these days you needed that.  As for Oni, well she respected anyone with a gun that bad-ass, no questions there.

A weird team, but solid.
Enigma
 NPC, 7 posts
 Fixer Extraordinaire
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 22:46
Trial Run
Enigma, having paused long enough to give you opportunity to comment, and seeing that Red is eager to be on her way, continues.

"You'll surely want some time to recover, but as soon as you are ready I'm sure to have more work for you.  Shall we say... a week?"

"Furthermore..." he smoothes the front of his suit as he composes his face back to a neutral expression.  The screen is taken over by some of the photos the GM is assuming you took of the cargo of the van and of the Azzies loading it.  "Given the disturbing nature of what you uncovered on this run, you may be wondering what comes next.  I want you to know I am not merely handing this off to my client, but will be continuing to keep tabs on it.  Should you wish for an update, I understand and empathize, and will provide you more details as it unfolds, should you desire."

His face comes back to the screen.  "If instead you wish to wash your hands of this business entirely, of course I understand that as well."
Oni
 player, 10 posts
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 23:35
Trial Run
Oni takes his credstick, nodding to Enigma's words, listening, even. But even through store-bought eyes, it's easy to see his mind is somewhere else. This run had gone well, despite minor issues. This felt like a step in the right direction, to earning the title of Samurai rather than just blurting out what had once been a vestigial word with no meaning behind it. But in an instant these thoughts were dismissed, put on hold for the post-run ritual. "Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I suppose I will see you all next week. It was a good run, team" his voice almost faltering on the last word. "Is there anything else, Enigma?"
Sonnet
 player, 12 posts
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 23:53
Trial Run
Sonnet's eyes flicker across the distant faces of his new teammates, lingering a moment on Pax's.

"I'd like to stay on top of this mess, I think. Any developments you care to share would be appreciated." He nods, terse and sober now. "I'll look forward to your call." When Enigma signs off and the others begin to disperse, he gently puts a hand on the shaman's shoulder.

"Hey, Pax." He smiles softly, almost shyly. "I'm glad you were with us tonight. It's... it's really good you were able to put all those trapped spirits at peace." He cocks his head, sighing. "All except the one. But still. Quite a few. We did a good thing tonight, li-ha? Even if we didn't know we'd be able to." He flashes her a proper grin now, patting her arm once more before he pulls back. "I hope you can feel good about that. I'll see you soon. Get home safe."
Enigma
 NPC, 8 posts
 Fixer Extraordinaire
Wed 12 Sep 2018
at 00:00
Trial Run
"Excellent.  You can count on updates as they come - and another run when you're ready."

He pauses just a moment before signing off.  "Let me know if you need anything in the meantime, of course."

The screen goes black.  Well, greenish-black, really.  You think it's actually a re-purposed old-style public Matrix terminal from the '40s or so.
Pax
 player, 9 posts
Wed 12 Sep 2018
at 00:08
Trial Run
Pax caught the tail end of the debrief, nodding along passively as she collected her shiny new credstick. She had never had this much nuyen before, just sitting there in her palm. Inzhu would surely lecture her on the practical pursuit of a stable income and Pax couldn't help but wonder if there was a purpose to money. Beyond the scrabble for food and shelter, that was. Could she turn this profit into something better than what it had come from?

Noting Red's departure, Pax slid a packet of sweet crackers in the dwarf's direction with a tiny smile. "For your constitution!"

Sonnet received a smile twice as bright. "Even if we didn't know we'd be able to... Is that serendipity, then, or kharma?" Perspective, maybe. Pax glanced at the table and the resting spirit, her hand fisting around the credit stick. "Or maybe it is dharma?" She shook her head, pulling her sleeves and scarfs tighter and nodding goodbye as she stumbled towards the entrance.
Sonnet
 player, 13 posts
Wed 12 Sep 2018
at 00:10
Trial Run
Sonnet watches a moment as Pax heads off, then runs to catch up with Red and see if he can bum a ride.
Red
 player, 7 posts
Wed 12 Sep 2018
at 00:17
Trial Run
Red gives Sonnet a lift back to his place downtown before turning the chopper back home to get to work on Hyde,  even with the pain in her legs, being in the air always makes her feel better ... free

Maybe she just likes being the tall one for once