Trial Run.   Posted by Game Master.Group: 0
Game Master
 GM, 1 post
Tue 28 Aug 2018
at 01:44
Trial Run
Tell us a little about your character!  Start with first impressions, feel free to add later as everyone gets to know each other better.

This message was last updated by the GM at 22:16, Sat 01 Sept 2018.

Pax
 player, 1 post
Wed 29 Aug 2018
at 02:48
Trial Run
In reply to Mr. Johnson (msg # 1):

Pax fiddled with the doorknob, eventually succeeding in wrenching the door open and slipping into the room. Limpid eyes darted from one corner to the next as she closed the door behind her with an overabundance of caution. The girl was tiny, even for a human, her spine and shoulders curved like ferns as she moved awkwardly towards the boardroom’s center table. Long flowing skirts skirled at her ankles, the mismatched gossamer fabric catching at the heavy buckles and laces of her scuffed up combat boots.

The Shaman lifted her wan face from the floor, finally making eye contact with the rest of the room. Her eyes were large and dark, peering out from a moon-round face with an odd commingling of exhaustion and curiosity. Downy brown hair tangled at her elbows, more often than not eliding the ready curve of her mouth. Slender fingers fiddled with a necklace, some assortment of rocks and what appears to be melted birthday candles, as the young magician slowly edged towards a chair spaced equidistant from those already gathered.

When Pax grabbed the back of the chair her expression wavered as one coming out of a deep sleep. She stood there, stock still, for many seconds staring at the object in mystification. Like a snapped rubber band, her body plopped gracelessly into the chair, tripping against the armrest as she huddled in on herself. No one looked more surprised to see her in this room than Pax herself who gently probed the ceiling with her eyes and muttered something rhythmic under her breath.

That far-off dreamy attention drifted, only just then coming into full realization of the rest of the room with a startled alacrity. Pax tugged at her two-sizes too big jacket while a blush formed a bridge across her nose. “I brought tea!” The statement managed to lilt into a question at the end, her eagerness transparently on display.

True to her words, the Shaman produced a scattering of hand-packed tea bags from one pocket and a thermos carved from a dark grey stone. Pax set them on the table, smiling hopefully at the group, before tilting her head in momentary thought. “Oh… I forgot the cups, and I do think cups are necessary… Oh dear, this isn’t going right at all…”

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:17, Sat 01 Sept 2018.

Enigma
 GM, 1 post
Wed 29 Aug 2018
at 03:32
Trial Run
In the center of the large foak (faux-oak) table, a white noise generator clicks and whirrs to life, filling the sterile air with the barely-detectable hum of ostensible privacy.  A moment later, the holoprojector unit flickers on as well, resolving into a the familiar image of your Fixer, Enigma.  Familiar, but a bit on the grainy and shaky side.  Cheap rented unit, just like the rest of this room.

"Good, I see you're trickling in."

The image makes a show of adjusting it's glasses.  The voice is clear and even to the point of being auto-tuned.  The face, too, is just a little too perfect.  You all figured out long ago that both were doctored - jury's still out on whether they're total fabrications or just altered.  If it is fabricated - an over-engineered virtual avatar - then it's some top-quality work.  None of you have seen Enigma in the flesh.

"I'll wait til you're all here, to avoid repeating myself.  Make yourselves at home.  There is soykaf, and, apparently, tea?"

This message was lightly edited by the player at 22:17, Sat 01 Sept 2018.

Sonnet
 player, 1 post
Wed 29 Aug 2018
at 14:00
Trial Run
Sonnet watched Pax's entrance with one eybrow raised. He had already shed his leather jacket, now draped across one of the chairs, and was leaning against the wall with his loose silk shirt, amber pendant, and jeweled silver bangles on clear display, a contrast to the snug weathered jeans tucked into his tall leather boots. As usual, his posture seemed at once completely relaxed and artless and as if he just might be deliberately posing to show his lithe frame and youthful movie-star-pretty features to best effect. The hint of concern in his brown eyes flicked off as Pax seemed to return to the present, and he flashed her a reassuring grin.

"Tea sounds lovely," he said, pushing off the wall and sauntering over to grab a few of the less chipped mugs set up by the soykaf. He set them down by her thermos with an automatic flourish and another gentle smile. "Count me in." He slid into his chair, left leg draped over the armrest, and shook an errant lock of wavy brown hair back behind his shoulder. Pale fingers began to drum idly as he glanced from one face to another.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:17, Sat 01 Sept 2018.

Red
 player, 2 posts
Wed 29 Aug 2018
at 16:31
Trial Run
In reply to Mr. Johnson (msg # 1):

A short dwarf (welcome to the tautology club, she's heard all the jokes before) stomps in wearing denim overalls, a beat up leather bikers jacket, and a WW1 helmet complete with spike.  She is wearing crossed bandoleers which support a combat axe almost as tall as she is and a wrench which is a bit taller.  Her black hair is tied back into a braid which falls to her waist.  "Sorry I'm late, we had a freighter come in with a busted left rudder and the bolts were tighter than a corp spokesman's asshole."  She she sits down and pulls out a complicated looking contraption from the recesses of her jacket.  One button press and 5 gears later she has a pinch of Synthbacco in her hand and loudly snorts it up one nostril.  "Ahhhhh, so, pretty boy, boss man ..." she stops and sees the tea "I'll take a cuppa if it's available"

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:19, Sat 01 Sept 2018.

Game Master
 GM, 7 posts
Wed 29 Aug 2018
at 18:42
Trial Run
Fetching some of the less-broken white cups from the side table and starting the electric kettle, you soon have several cups of tea brewing and the aroma, far more pleasant than the cheap soykaf, banishes a little of the dank smell from the room.

You've all worked a few jobs for Enigma at this point, mostly solo, sometimes in teams of two.  Not all of you have met each other before.

The jobs have all been pretty small time so far, but Enigma enjoys a fairly good rep in the Seattle underground, so you consider it worthwhile building a relationship.  Most importantly, he is known for taking care of his runners - no wonder he has expected you to prove yourselves before he invests.

There are, of course, some who are more skeptical of his seeming benevolence.  As far as any of you can tell, it comes down to paranoia about someone who won't meet in the flesh.

Outside the window it's a lovely day, unusually clear for Seattle.  The Everett harbor is thick with boats.

This message was last updated by the GM at 22:19, Sat 01 Sept 2018.

Enigma
 GM, 2 posts
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 01:36
Trial Run
"Right, let's begin!" Enigma's image springs to life in the holo.  You suspect it was set on a loop while he was silent.

"I've gathered you here because all of you have shown me you have talent and can be relied upon.  That means you're ready for something more than the milk runs I've thrown your way so far."

"A few of you have met, others have not.  You can play get to know you later, suffice it to say you have a very complimentary set of talents.  That is why I want you to be a team -- assuming you can all work together successfully, you'll be ready for the real work, the serious runs."

The Enigma-holo is replaced by three static images, mugshots of three 'runners you know by reputation though not in person, yet. (Correction: most of you haven't met any of them.)  The images rotate in the air - A pretty dark-haired elf woman, a rather stern and plain-looking human man with close-cropped hair, and a shaggy red-haired male troll.  "As you probably already know, I provide an insurance policy for all the runner teams working underneath me.  These three are The Cavalry, and from here on out, they're your backup plan.  If the run goes south and subtlety is no longer on the table, you call them in.  If they can't complete the objective in the process, at least they'll get you out alive.  The best teams are the ones with experience, and you don't get experience if you're dead.  If you fuck up while you're on my payroll, I at least want to make sure you live to learn from the experience."

"I pay them a retainer for their services, and that cost is already factored in to your pay for the run.  If you need to call them, you pay their bonus - which depends on the situation, but as a rule of thumb it's at minimum half of the pay for a successful run.  To be clear, this is not optional.  I don't care how confident you are in your ability to stay alive, no one works for me without insurance."

"This first run is a bit of a trial run, so it only pays ¥1,200 each, but assuming it goes well you can expect much more in the near future."  This is significantly more than he's offered you for previous jobs, though, as he says, they were pretty easy stuff.  "I've got more than enough work and too few runners competent enough to pull it off."

Enigma's image comes back on the holo.  "So, before we go any further, chummers, I trust you are all on board with this arrangement?"

This message was last edited by the player at 04:59, Tue 11 Sept 2018.

Sonnet
 player, 2 posts
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 02:04
Trial Run
Sonnet waves a hand dismissively, though his eyes flick quickly over Red's face before he speaks.

"Sure, so far so good. We all showed up to work, li-ha?

"I don't see anyone in this room I've got an issue teaming up with. If the job and the pay match up I'm bright and cheery."

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 22:17, Sat 01 Sept 2018.

Pax
 player, 2 posts
Thu 30 Aug 2018
at 03:56
Trial Run
Pax smiles her million-watt grin at Sonnet, brushing hair back from her face as she grabs for his cup. Taking a few of the other worn vessels she methodically places her make-shift tea bags before pouring hot water over the loose leaf concoction. Tugging at the corner of the tea bags she monitors the swirl of golden brown that has begun to color the water. A warm scent, cardamom and fennel, wafts through the room, and Pax smiles again in satisfaction as the tea steeps.

“Two minutes, please!” she chirps to the elf, sliding his cup back across the table with nary a spill. In equal measure she has a cup settled by the dwarf and one more nestled by her elbow. Task complete, Pax turns her attention to Engima, tilting her head to further study the hologram. She glances at an empty tea cup, and then back to the projection, feeling overly conflicted that she cannot offer the Fixer any tea. Maybe she can give him the recipe, later, when he is not so busy. Pax is pretty certain Enigma has too much stress in his life, which is never good for your health.

In the end the only thing in her power is to nod along with the new information, watching steam curl above her tea. “Yes, of course, Mr. Enigma! I would be honored to assist you.” Pax pauses, glancing at the room, “Ah, well, of course what I meant is that I would be honored to assist all of you!” her correction is paired with a vigorous nod, the Shaman nearly knocking her tea over before recovering. She is certain that Inzhu, who taught her how to make this tea, is snickering somewhere in the background.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 22:18, Sat 01 Sept 2018.