The Azzie Facility.   Posted by Game Master.Group: 0
Game Master
 GM, 11 posts
Mon 3 Sep 2018
at 02:00
The Azzie Facility
Red runs recon, doing a couple fly-overs of the facility on the edges of town in her black helicopter.

The facility looks aged, the doors, conveyors, and building as a whole has to be at least 20 years old and doesn't look like it has been well maintained overall.  Nonetheless, there's more activity than you'd expect, and the chain-link fence around the perimeter looks new.  The razor wire on top of it certainly is -- new and shiny.  On the roof of the facility, to either side, there are small enclosures like guard booths with glass windows on all four sides.  You don't dare get close enough for a clear look but can assume they are manned.

One thing that unquestionably stands out - there are a drekload of guards for a little food processing plant in the middle of nowhere.  You can see why the journalist had suspicions.

I'll now make a Check the Situation roll for you for further details.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:48, Mon 03 Sept 2018.

Game Master
 GM, 12 posts
Mon 3 Sep 2018
at 02:03
The Azzie Facility
quote:
22:02, Today: Game Master, on behalf of Red, rolled 5 using 2d6+1 with rolls of 1,3.  Check the Situation - Azzie Facility.


Sadly, your Check the Situation move fails and does not allow you to ask any additional questions.
Pariya
 NPC, 1 post
 Peri, Watcher
 Bird Spirit
Tue 4 Sep 2018
at 04:34
The Azzie Facility
quote:
00:16, Today: Pariya rolled 10 using 2d6+3 with rolls of 1,6.  Search: The Azzie Facility.


Pariya soars and tumbles over the facility through the astral air, delighting in every roll and trick.  Eventually, she remembers why she was sent here.

Taking the form of a common pigeon, she carefully alights on the razor wire atop the fence.  Beneath her there is a spot where the humans seem to come and go, first though one door, and  then inside into another.  For some reason they all stop while other humans carrying lots of shiny, dangerous looking metal things pat them all over.  She stops to observe this odd human grooming ritual for a while.

Then, another spot becomes busy with activity down on the other end of the fence.  She flutters over, then stops on a nearby dumpster, remembering her Master's admonition to be cautious.

Big gates in the fence open and a large boxy thing rolls in.  More humans in shiny clothes and carrying glinting things begin unloading something from it.  Carefully, Pariya makes her way first to the top of the truck, and then inside the big door that is open on the building, for a closer look.

She follows the humans around, inside, and down, down below. She does not see much then, as she feels something watching her, something hungry, and instinct takes over.  She remembers squeezing through a grate and out, and poof - she is once again astral and free and carried away on swift wings back to Pax to report.

There are three main entrances & exits to the facility.  A small personnel gate and door, a large gate and bay door for trucks, and the basement level of the facility appears to connect to the sewers.

You might also extrapolate some kind of magical overwatch or spirit guarding the basement level, but it is dangerous to put too much stock in Pariya's flights of fancy.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:40, Tue 04 Sept 2018.

Game Master
 GM, 29 posts
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 03:48
The Azzie Facility
(summary of session begins here)

On the night of the run the team assembled in an abandoned building nearby the site.  It immediately became obvious that (Complication Point spent) the Azzies had been spooked by something and were working on moving their illicit goods, whatever they are, to a new location.  Security was higher than usual and a truck under heavy guard was being loaded with crates.

The Cavalry checked in on comms before the mission.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:27, Tue 11 Sept 2018.

Delilah
 NPC, 1 post
 Weapons Expert
 The Cavalry
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 03:49
The Azzie Facility
In reply to Game Master (msg # 4):

A syrupy-sweet drawl intrudes on the team's comms.

"Welcome to the ball, cupcakes.  Don' worry about a thing, we gotcha backs if'n it goes south.  Best o' luck."
Escape Root
 NPC, 1 post
 Combat Mage
 Cavalry Team Leader
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 03:50
The Azzie Facility
In reply to Game Master (msg # 4):

"'Luck' is the domain of the reckless and the intellectually impaired. I advise you to formulate a series of maneuvers which are not likely to fail, and execute them with precision."
Chauncey Applewood
 NPC, 1 post
 Combat-Zone Doctor
 Cavalry Team Medic
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 03:51
The Azzie Facility
In reply to Escape Root (msg # 6):

A hearty guffaw comes over the comm loud enough to hurt all your ears.

""'E's a charma ain't 'e?  Don' worry, he's a big softie once ya get to know 'im.  'appy 'unting mates! 'ope you don't need us.  I'm already 'alfway through this pint o' cida'!"
Escape Root
 NPC, 2 posts
 Combat Mage
 Cavalry Team Leader
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 03:52
The Azzie Facility
In reply to Chauncey Applewood (msg # 7):

"... Fortunately for Chauncey, I am confident he is joking.  Just as I am confident all of you are up to this task."

The Cavalry goes silent on comms again, leaving the team to contemplate their approach.
Game Master
 GM, 30 posts
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 04:07
The Azzie Facility
Red lands one Dalmatian drone carefully on top of the truck as it approaches.  It remains undetected through the drive in and during loading.  Unfortunately the sensors only pick up general signs of activity, nothing specific.

Sonnet re-positions to another building to get a better vantage point without getting too close.  He picks out of the people assembled one who appears to be in charge - and judging from the weird dangling talisman of some kind he spies inside his coat, probably some kind of mage.

The team elects to allow the Azzies to load the truck and set an ambush for it a few blocks away and re-position to do just that.  When the time comes, Red's two combat drones drop in front of the truck opening fire, as Oni unleashes a hail of incendiary rounds from the maw of the triple-barreled heavy machine gun he has affectionately nicknamed "Little Dragon."  The van is stopped for the moment.

One member of the Aztechnology security team, notable for the stripe of jaguar fur on one shoulder, manages to toss a frag grenade up on the rooftop where the team is assembled, while they all run for cover.  Red is focused on her drones and takes the worst of the blast - she'll be picking shards of metal from her legs for a week.

The pincer maneuver soon gets the better of the security detail, and the mage makes a run for it - but not before knocking Sonnet on his ass with a nasty manabolt and tossing up a Barrier spell behind him.  He takes fire from the drones on his way out, and limps into a nearby building.  As it happens, this is where a dazed but determined Sonnet has just made to flank him, and with probably the best aim of his life, sticks the mage right between the shoulderblades with a DMSO knockout capsule from the weapon he affectionately refers to as Plan Z.  The highly bio-interactive compound takes effect nigh immediately, and the mage drops.

Loading the unconscious mage into the van and getting it back on the road, the team piles in and guns it out of there.  Oni takes the time to lay down some suppressing fire on the way in and hold off the response from the remaining security forces several blocks away who have taken notice of the cacophony.  They are out of there like bats out of hell.
Enigma
 NPC, 5 posts
 Fixer Extraordinaire
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 04:08
The Azzie Facility
Enigma intrudes on their group comms for just a moment.

"Nicely done, glad you are all in one piece.  You'll have to dispose of that van, though.  My client just wants proof, not a shipment, and I'm certainly not dealing with that thing.  Keep one and ditch the rest."
Game Master
 GM, 31 posts
Tue 11 Sep 2018
at 04:26
The Azzie Facility
In the back of the van, Sonnet has searched the mage and stripped him of a nasty looking dagger and a couple of foci made with leather and bone, which he got far away from himself, and a small Fichetti Needler hold-out pistol, which he kept.  Then, he examines the crates, finding each packed with hay, and containing one, sometimes two, occasionally three, chunks of obsidian about the size of a pint glass.

Pax is getting a deeply uneasy feeling being in here, and sadly Inzhu cannot shed any light on the situation.  When she gathers her courage enough to look into the Astral, she sees not one but many small, wispy looking spirits lingering around them all, just silently watching.  On closer inspection, they are not wispy, but... dripping.  Her knowledge of magical theory indicates these are blood spirits, and they are presumably bound to an object and will serve the one holding it.

She uses her knowledge to dismiss each of these spirits and free them.  As she lays hands on each obsidian chunk they address her: "I attend", "I serve", "I listen."  By the time the van reaches the docks, only one remains, which the group pockets for evidence.  Sonnet, meanwhile, has efficiently ended the unconscious mage's life with the Fichetti.

Oni, watching out the back of the van, is the first to hear the distinctive whup whup whup of a chopper in the air.  The group is able to ditch the van and scatter without consequence, save for Red, the last out as she sets the van to take a dive into the Sound.  As the chopper gets closer a figure leans out the side and lays a burst of gunfire in her direction.  One of her drones takes the hit, and with it in her arms, she too disappears into the night.

The run is a success.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:27, Tue 11 Sept 2018.