[In-Character Thread] Deciphering Tomorrow.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
Q'nur
 Confident Delve, 21 posts
 who Exists out of Phase
Wed 27 Mar 2019
at 08:41
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
Q'nur smiles again, filled with excitement and enthusiasm.

"A seeker of answers and questions, how wonderful.There was a creature, with tentacles. It climbed up through the earth and radiated fear and anger. Was that one of the brethren also?"
GM
 GM, 75 posts
 Storyteller
Thu 28 Mar 2019
at 06:47
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
In the pod room

Attilisk:
"'Seeker' is definitely a word we can tattoo on you, friend.  Perhaps on the hand you reach out to the world with?  I can sketch you a design later."

As Attilisk continues his exploration of the room, awkwardly squeezing between pods, he comes to one that is broken open and empty.  "Has this one been used then?  Is it ok if I take it apart?"


Seeker holds out both hands and wiggles the fingers extravagantly.  Then shrugs as Attilisk asks about the empty pod.

"It is but a shell, a temporary Form.  If you wish to reForm it, please do," Seeker says, wiggling its fingers still.

Q'nur:
Q'nur smiles again, filled with excitement and enthusiasm.

"A seeker of answers and questions, how wonderful.There was a creature, with tentacles. It climbed up through the earth and radiated fear and anger. Was that one of the brethren also?"


"Oh.  Yes.  There was another, and it disturbed one of the pods and shared a Form.  It did not seem to enjoy that there was another with its Form, and fled with much noise."  Seeker sits down atop one of the other pods, then slides down the side of it, smiling slightly.

---

In the corridor

Eris:
Glancing toward one another at the emergence of the mini-Cube and its subsequent cubeception, Eris and Erin exchange grim smiles and re-enter the corridor from whence they fled the lizards, making their way towards the Truth


As Eris and Erin head down the corridor, they find a slightly rounded rectangular opening that leads into a short, smooth hallway that widens like funnel.  And the end of that it opens into a huge room that is densely crowded with large, hard synth pods about the size of an aneen.  Thick tubs, two each of differing colors and thicknesses, penetrates the pods at one end.  About six pods away are three people, seemingly human, two of which are precisely the same!
Q'nur
 Confident Delve, 22 posts
 who Exists out of Phase
Thu 28 Mar 2019
at 09:43
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
Q'nur squats down and looks at Seeker with some concern.

"My friend, I hope your Brethren was not injured by the creature? That creature seemed incredibly aggressive, breathtakingly so."
Attilisk
 Imaginative Jack, 6 posts
 who Talks to Machines
Thu 28 Mar 2019
at 11:36
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
"I shall tattoo your hands in the light of day, Seeker."  He smiles gently and pats his pack.  "There is some planning needed before I begin.  I do appreciate your enthusiasm, though."

As Attilisk begins to pull a few tools from pouches and loops at his belt, planning to salvage what he can from the used pod, he notices movement at the door.  As he takes in the two very tall people, he blinks, turns back to Q'nur and Seeker, then back to the people at the doorway.  "Did you stand in the pink goop also?  Which one of you is the original?"  He looks at them a bit more closely.  "Magnificent tattoos, by the way.  Who did them for you?"

He glances back to Seeker.  "See?  Excellent way of differentiating you two."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:53, Fri 29 Mar 2019.

GM
 GM, 76 posts
 Storyteller
Tue 2 Apr 2019
at 01:14
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
Q'nur:
Q'nur squats down and looks at Seeker with some concern.

"My friend, I hope your Brethren was not injured by the creature? That creature seemed incredibly aggressive, breathtakingly so."


Seeker looks around the room, brow furrowed.  "There was some damage, which was why countermeasures deployed.  They were to protect the Brethren, or find a stronger Form if necessary.  We may need to find the intruder-creature, to be certain the Brethren do not become contaminated by its waveforms."

Attilisk:
"I shall tattoo your hands in the light of day, Seeker."  He smiles gently and pats his pack.  "There is some planning needed before I begin.  I do appreciate your enthusiasm, though."

As Attilisk begins to pull a few tools from pouches and loops at his belt, planning to salvage what he can from the used pod, he notices movement at the door.  As he takes in the two very tall people, he blinks, turns back to Q'nur and Seeker, then back to the people at the doorway.  "Did you stand in the pink goop also?  Which one of you is the original?"  He looks at them a bit more closely.  "Magnificent tattoos, by the way.  Who did them for you?"

He glances back to Seeker.  "See?  Excellent way of differentiating you two."


Seeker nods at Attalisk's comment, then takes in the sight of the two identical people in the doorway.  He stared at them with wide eyes, then leans over to Q'nur.  "I cannot be certain without further information, but I am not sure if they are Brethren or not..."
Attilisk
 Imaginative Jack, 7 posts
 who Talks to Machines
Thu 4 Apr 2019
at 11:50
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
Attilisk lets the silence draw out a bit before continuing.  To the tall pair at the door, he says "How long ago did you step in the goop, anyway?  You've obviously had time to find different clothing and distinguishing tattoos."

He gestures to the used pod before him.  "Any advice on taking one of these apart or maybe you know what's inside?"
Eris
 Noble Seeker, 44 posts
 who Exists in Two
 Places At Once
Thu 4 Apr 2019
at 12:50
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
Eris looked at Erin

Erin look at Eris.

Both raised an eyebrow, simultaneously.

They looked back at the three figures, two twins and a tattooist.

Back at one another.

Finally, one of them spoke, "Goop?"
Q'nur
 Confident Delve, 23 posts
 who Exists out of Phase
Sat 6 Apr 2019
at 13:28
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
"Be careful Attilisk, unlike friend Seeker here, these two do not appear to remember what has transpired. Perchance there is another nearby Numenera that has done this? Wow that would be amazingly wonderful if that was truth."

He looks directly at the twins and beckons them over, speaking in a safe, reassuring voice to them.

"Come Bretheren. Come sit with us."

He indicates Seeker.

"This is Seeker, he is one of you. Well he is one of one of you I guess. Which one of you is the...original form?"

This message was last edited by the player at 13:30, Sat 06 Apr 2019.

Eris
 Noble Seeker, 46 posts
 who Exists in Two
 Places At Once
Sat 6 Apr 2019
at 16:12
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
"You will need to speak more sense", offered Eris, raising an eyebrow with their twin at the rambling words of the shorter dungeoneer.

"Our nature is as you see us", continued Erin, "As it has been for many years"

"Who are these Brethren?", one of them pressed, "Are you not twins as we?"
Q'nur
 Confident Delve, 24 posts
 who Exists out of Phase
Sat 6 Apr 2019
at 19:09
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
"Twins?" Q'nur grinned at the revelation.

"I have not met twins for years. That explains the confusion."

He indicated Seeker.

"This is Seeker. He is one of the Brethren. He took on my form when I fell into that pile of pink goop over there. However he is a delightfully charming individual in his own right.

When we saw you both, we naturally assumed you were, or at least one of you,  was a Brethren also."

This message was last edited by the player at 06:09, Sun 07 Apr 2019.

Eleisai
 Empathic Nano, 53 posts
 who Works Miracles
Sat 6 Apr 2019
at 19:32
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
The older woman blinks at the sight of the smaller cube within the larger one.

"Are you all right, friend Cube?"
Eris
 Noble Seeker, 47 posts
 who Exists in Two
 Places At Once
Sun 7 Apr 2019
at 06:55
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
Eris nodded at Q'nur's explanation, even as Erin turned to the Brethren, "You are ... of this place then. What can you tell us of the creature that attacked us on the surface?"
Attilisk
 Imaginative Jack, 10 posts
 who Talks to Machines
Sun 7 Apr 2019
at 12:21
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
Assessing the newly arrived twins to be, at minimum, not an immediate threat, Attilisk kept an ear on the conversation as he began tinkering with the component viscera of the used pod.
GM
 GM, 77 posts
 Storyteller
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 08:24
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
In the pod room

When asked about the creature which attacked on the surface, Seeker replies, "It appeared in the chamber, as if from nowhere, as if the air split.  It likely came in contact with one of the Brethren and gave it Form.  If it is angry and vengeful, it passed that along with its Form.  I am not certain exactly how, but one of the pods was damaged, so that may have something to do with it.  Perhaps the first one did not like having its Form shared?"

As Attilisk tinkers with the spent pod, he's able to gather a couple of crystals (one white, one pale green), several lengths of synth and tubing (equal to 4 units of parts), and a residue of goo that forms into a slushy ball that mimics the color of whatever it touches (an oddity).

---

In the entry chamber

Cube has the notion that if it were to flex its internal structure ("flex" being a relative word given the makeup of Cube) it could likely crush the little copy inside without difficulty.  But there is no pain to it being there for the moment, only an oddness.  The little copy speaks again, vibrating itself as Cube does to speak.  Very different.  Very unique.  Hello!

Eleisai, Cube does not seem to be in immediate distress, though it seemingly hasn't decided what to do with the little version of itself.

One of the pipes in the entry chamber begins to hum, then blow out a cool stream of air filled with a soft, silvery mist.  Frost begins to creep up the walls as the temperature drops.
Attilisk
 Imaginative Jack, 11 posts
 who Talks to Machines
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 16:55
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
Attilisk stows his tools and new discoveries as he stands back up and collects his quarterstaff from where it was leaning on another pod.  "Large, frightening, and angry.  I'm glad it's gone and I hope it stays that way."

He turns to the true twins.  "What brought you to this installation?  Had you heard the same stories Q'nur and I did?  There seems to be enough to share, if you are looking for treasures."  He waves at the mass of pods.  "And we've really only begun to explore."
Eris
 Noble Seeker, 48 posts
 who Exists in Two
 Places At Once
Mon 8 Apr 2019
at 17:53
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
“We sought the source of the salivating stalker”, stated one of the twins, “It attacked the town wandering past overhead... they were concerned at the threat”
Cube
 Tough Glaive, 26 posts
 who Abides in Ooze
Tue 9 Apr 2019
at 05:12
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
Persistent, if nothing else, the Cube continue's its effort to purge the pink duplicate.  Both crushing and dissolving the thing just as it did the lizards.  Neither fast, nor easy, the process is however inexorable and results eventually in a single defined cube mostly clear in consistency.  Only then does the focus of the Cube turn outward again, and begin to investigate the chamber it is in for additional exits, as up is not likely to be an option.
Eleisai
 Empathic Nano, 54 posts
 who Works Miracles
Tue 9 Apr 2019
at 05:35
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
The older woman looks with some regret at Cube's efforts.

She is relieved that her companion has not been harmed, and is able to repel the unauthorized intruder... but it is nonetheless sentient, and seemingly non-violent.

Observing the apparent demise of such an interesting unknown creature is painful to the empath.

She sighs, and then looks at the gathering frost.

"I am glad you are unharmed by the lizards, friend Cube, though I am concerned that the frost may not agree with you."

"What were you able to sense of that curious miniature cube?"


She moves with a heavy heart to examine the remains of the crushed mini-cube...
GM
 GM, 78 posts
 Storyteller
Thu 11 Apr 2019
at 03:55
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
In the entry chamber...

Cube:
Persistent, if nothing else, the Cube continue's its effort to purge the pink duplicate.  Both crushing and dissolving the thing just as it did the lizards.  Neither fast, nor easy, the process is however inexorable and results eventually in a single defined cube mostly clear in consistency.  Only then does the focus of the Cube turn outward again, and begin to investigate the chamber it is in for additional exits, as up is not likely to be an option.


When Cube is done there is only the faintest of pink residue left trailing after it on the floor, and no lingering echoes within.

As Eleisai examines the remains, she sees the pink residue is decidedly slippery, and slightly speckled with minuscule bits of what appear to be metal.  The same, as a matter of fact, as the residue of the laasks who had tried to pen you into this chamber in the first place.

The silvery mist continues to pour into the chamber and the frost continues to thicken.  It's getting frigid in here, and before too long it will be downright painful to stay here without some protection against the cold.
Attilisk
 Imaginative Jack, 12 posts
 who Talks to Machines
Thu 11 Apr 2019
at 11:21
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
"You're chasing that big thing?  That sounds like a decidedly unsafe course of action."

He turns to Seeker.  "You said it just appeared?  Maybe if we look around, we can figure out where it came from and send it back.  Maybe it just wants to go home?"

This message was last edited by the player at 11:23, Thu 11 Apr 2019.

Eris
 Noble Seeker, 49 posts
 who Exists in Two
 Places At Once
Thu 11 Apr 2019
at 15:07
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
“Guarding a caravan isn’t safe work”, noted Erin, with Eris adding, “Though typically there is less chasing monsters into unexplored ruins”

This message was last edited by the player at 15:08, Thu 11 Apr 2019.

Q'nur
 Confident Delve, 25 posts
 who Exists out of Phase
Sat 13 Apr 2019
at 12:19
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
Well this one was definitely not safe. I could feel the anger and hatred coming off it like heat off a stone that has been out in the sun all day. It was both frightening and...interesting.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:20, Sat 13 Apr 2019.

GM
 GM, 79 posts
 Storyteller
Tue 16 Apr 2019
at 08:49
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
In the pod chamber

As the three (five?) converse, Attilisk begins to examine the pod. 

As if your speech of the angry tentacle beast has conjured something, there is a distant banging, followed by a hollow scream from one of the doorways off the pod room (the same doorway Q'nur and Attilisk had entered in the first place).  The walls actually shudder for a moment, and you see a tentacle scythe through the wall without disturbing it, vanishing again as if it were the limb of a ghost!
Attilisk
 Imaginative Jack, 13 posts
 who Talks to Machines
Tue 16 Apr 2019
at 11:25
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
Attilisk recoils from the wall the tentacle went through and grips his staff a bit tighter.  "Well, that doesn't bode well.  Seeker, do you know anything of the greater complex we are in?  Size, layout, purpose, what equipment might be here?"
Eris
 Noble Seeker, 50 posts
 who Exists in Two
 Places At Once
Tue 16 Apr 2019
at 12:46
Re: [In-Character Threat] Deciphering Tomorrow
Whilst the other's chat, Erin steps forward and nock an arrow; behind them, Eris draws their blade - ready to leap into action. Both make their way to the entranceway from whence the tentacle appeared