(IC) Misery's Peak.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Brankx Onyxshield
 Wizard, 361 posts
 HP 30 AC 11
 F: +4, R: +2, W: +5
Thu 22 Jul 2021
at 01:25
(IC) Misery's Peak
Brankx watches with an even gaze as Fenris, then Balayst disappears. "Stay calm....Their not dead as far as i know...just transported somewhere."

He looks at her and shrugs. "We gotta stick together girl....let's follow them" With that he shoulders his pack, grumbling about fools jumping into magic without checking, and walked forward.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 660 posts
Thu 22 Jul 2021
at 15:58
(IC) Misery's Peak
With a flash of light the two of them follow after. The wizard and cleric appear above a steep cliff in a huge cavern. Fenris is nowhere in sight but the warforged is, kneeling down and watching something. Upon closer examination, a massive white beast sits starting at what looks like a tenticaled creature. It throws his hands up. The dragon snaps at it but doesn't attack.

"Is the village destroyed? Answer me my pet!" The mindflayer speaks out in a gutteral tone.

The dragon snarls at him and turns, its eyes what are normal blue or white are black. Emotionless "No. Your allies are not prepared yet."

Just as the dragon speaks, several sahuagin enter the area as well as some humanoid figures, looking more superior then the other creatures. It slowly looks like a army brewing with the mindflayer holding its leash "Rise up! Rise up! Take over the town! Destroy anyone who will not follow us!" All of them bow as if compelled.

A small ramp is visible off to the side that hooks around. About 100+ feet over the chamber is a strange purple aura upon a cliff. Its hard to tell what is causing it and cannot be seen from below. But when the mind flayer speaks, the area seem to grow brighter and then dims.

As the cleric, wizard and warrior watch on trying to stay hidden-the elf peers out from behind her.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:33, Sun 25 July.

Cumarinda Imbrex
 Cleric, 330 posts
 HP 62/62, AC:20
 F: +7, R: +3, W: +8
Mon 26 Jul 2021
at 20:15
(IC) Misery's Peak
After watching the scene below them and happily noting the return of Ballast and Fenris to the rest of their party, the young priestess of Pelor quietly hugs both the warforged warrior and the barbarian elf.

With her usual smile subdued to a happy grin, she quietly whispers to the assembled group. "My heart is joyful that we are together again. I ask that we speak in whispers to keep the monsters below from hearing us. We should quietly follow that ramp and hope that it leads us to the source of the purple glow. I think that is what is giving that squid-like monster power over the dragon."
Brankx Onyxshield
 Wizard, 363 posts
 HP 30 AC 11
 F: +4, R: +2, W: +5
Tue 27 Jul 2021
at 05:02
(IC) Misery's Peak
Brankx, though glad the group was back together, simply nodded with a stoic look at both Fenris and Ballast. He looked at the scene and he lost any shred of joy at the sight of the Water demons, the dragon and the mind flayers.

He looked at the cleric with concern. "We need caution....they are controlling a dragon. We need to take them in small groups, not as one."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 666 posts
Fri 30 Jul 2021
at 12:21
(IC) Misery's Peak
Hugging her in reutn, the barbarian stares at the wizard. His eyes narrow and then Fenris looks down at the huge gathering below. He takes a deep breath and starts to move along the ramp leading up, motioning for the others to follow.

The mindflayer speaks "My allies are ready and more will come. You will destroy them.""

With a roar, the dragon stares at the mind flayer but he seems to be fighting it "No."

A pain comes out of the dragon and he winces in pain "Yes. It will be done."

Fenris:
08:23, Today: Fenris rolled 24 using 1d20+10.  Move Silently.

08:23, Today: Fenris rolled 30 using 1d20+10.  Hide.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:23, Fri 30 July.

Brankx Onyxshield
 Wizard, 364 posts
 HP 30 AC 11
 F: +4, R: +2, W: +5
Fri 30 Jul 2021
at 21:11
(IC) Misery's Peak
The dwarf watches as Fenris makes his way up, grimacing. Dwarves weren’t the quietest of people, him included, amd he knew it, but he knew they had to move. The dwarf began to creep, dislodging a stone, sending it dropping, and he dropped to the ground, curling up like a rock.

<OOC:

Brankx Onyxshield rolled 2 using 1d20+1.  Move silently.
Brankx Onyxshield rolled 19 using 1d20+1.  Hide.

Damn….noisy but can hide>

 

Cumarinda Imbrex
 Cleric, 331 posts
 HP 62/62, AC:20
 F: +7, R: +3, W: +8
Sun 1 Aug 2021
at 10:44
(IC) Misery's Peak
After making certain that she takes every reasonable chance to remain out of sight and sound from the collection of deadly foes below them, the fire-color haired human cleric follows the elf barbarian and the others up the ramp.

OOC
Cumarinda Imbrex rolled 18 using 1d20+2.  Hide.
Cumarinda Imbrex rolled 13 using 1d20+2.  Move Silently.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 668 posts
Sun 1 Aug 2021
at 11:47
(IC) Misery's Peak
The dwarf seems to make some noise as the dragon glances in his direction but being above and with some snow and ice its hard to tell if the dragon saw him. Oddly, the dragon doesn't say a word as some ice falls to the ground. Its hard to tell if he saw anyone, and it remains to be seen as the beast looks back at the mindflayer. Eyes narrow, the mindflayer hisses "We need more. Gather more troops. More." Several sahuagain nod their heads and leave down a corridor. Seems like there are two ways out-the way the group got in and somewhere far below, about 100'. Its hard to make out with everyone looking the same but from their angle above, its about even where the group teleported in. And there is still about 20 people-three heavily armed humans with 17 sahugain waiting. And theres the mindflayer and dragon.

As the group gets closer to the purple glow, its about 50' from where the ramp ends to the glowing orb seeming to be held by ice from above. And a closed door at the end of the ramp. Fenris waits for the others to get near the end of the ramp. Ballest goes to the door and tries to open it and it opens into a room that has a angled area leading downwards. Fenris takes a deep breath and looks at the warforged "Get them out." He looks at the cleric "Your my Alpha." He runs and leaps, clutching his sword. With a green aura around him, the barbarian is teleported to the odd purple orb. His sword slams into it several times.

The mindflayer howls "NO! KILL HIM!"

The dragon grins and its wings flutter out but instead of attacking the barbarbain and his allies, it lets out its breath weapon! The dragon hits all of the troops locking them in ice. And the dragon grins as it turns on the mindflayer as ice starts to come down all around. Some of the ramp is hit but its possible for all of the group minus the barbarian to get into the next room if possible. The sound of the barbarians blade hits it several times as some ice slams down near it blocking him from the group!
Cumarinda Imbrex
 Cleric, 332 posts
 HP 62/62, AC:20
 F: +7, R: +3, W: +8
Sun 1 Aug 2021
at 23:22
(IC) Misery's Peak
"You're my wild heart!" she lovingly cries to the leaping barbarian. As the mindflayer howls for Fenris' life, she looks grim faced at the evil tentacled creature and chants the words for a summoning. Quickly, a glowing hippogriff forms in the air above the monster. With no joy in her merciless voice, Cumarinda directs the hippogriff to "Slay the Mindflayer!"

OOC
Summon Monster III -- Celestial Hippogriff


Soon after she unleashes the holy beast at the foul monster, she follows Ballast into the next room.
Brankx Onyxshield
 Wizard, 366 posts
 HP 30 AC 11
 F: +4, R: +2, W: +5
Mon 2 Aug 2021
at 23:51
(IC) Misery's Peak
Brankx watches as the barbarian leaps from the ledge, and knowing tbe cleric,  rushed to her side, grasping her arm. "Lets get movin' lass....we gotta catch up to ye stubborn boyfriend before he kills himself."

He pushes her through the door andnlooks back over the edge. "Damn fool...ye live through through this and she'll kill ye....or I will"

He retreated through the door
Dungeon Master
 GM, 674 posts
Tue 3 Aug 2021
at 01:20
(IC) Misery's Peak
The hippogriff takes off and attacks the mind flayer as the dragon howls. Steel hits as the platform is hit from below as a dragon roars. Suddenly, the ice and snow above slams down blocking the door leading into the den. Stones, ice and a lot of snow slams down in all directions! Ballast motions for everyone to go down the hallway. It leads outside. The top of the mountain starts to collapse and the exit starts to crumble and collapse. The three of them stare at the mountain as it starts to settle. Everything go silent. All the animals outside scatter. There is no sign of Fenris. A heavy snow has fallen and keeps fallen, as each of them lie on the ground covered in dirt, ice and snow.
Ballast
 Fighter, 248 posts
 HP 65/65, AC: 22
 F: +7, R: +3, W: +3
Tue 3 Aug 2021
at 02:54
(IC) Misery's Peak
Ballast picks himself up carefully, pushing aside the dirt, ice, and snow as best he could, still somewhat shaken by the dramatic event of the controlled dragon and its revenge against the mindflayer.  It seemed they had arrived at a most fortuitous moment - though Fenris' brave actions had undoubtedly helped!  He hoped they could find the wayward barbarian.

Once free of debris, Ballast went to uncover Cumarinda and Brankx.  "Is anyone damaged?"
Cumarinda Imbrex
 Cleric, 335 posts
 HP 62/62, AC:20
 F: +7, R: +3, W: +8
Thu 5 Aug 2021
at 19:24
(IC) Misery's Peak
With Ballast's help, the worn and tired Cumarinda slowly finds her way out from under the debris left from the fallen mountain. “Thank you, Ballast, I seem to be mostly undamaged. I'll help you with Brankx” she says gratefully and proceeds to help the dwarf magi stand clear and upright. “Are you better now, Brankx? Good.”
What started as a general look around quickly soon became frantic searching, with the cleric of Pelor forlornly calling out for their absent barbarian companion. “Fenris! Fenris! Come out here now! FENRIS, I need you!! she cried out. Moments later, while in a wild eyed, tearful, and desperate search, she began digging, trying to uncover the fallen debris with her hands.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 681 posts
Thu 5 Aug 2021
at 19:38
(IC) Misery's Peak
Nothing. Just the wilderness slowly coming out of the destruction of the mountain. No Fenris emerges or calls out. Not a sign of him. Something seems to come across the side of the mountain much further up. As the cleric keeps digging, a wolf stops. Pure white. Not like the ones the group fought. It keeps its distance, watching them. And then it howls. The most painful howl. But just as it emerges, it is gone.
Brankx Onyxshield
 Wizard, 367 posts
 HP 30 AC 11
 F: +4, R: +2, W: +5
Thu 5 Aug 2021
at 22:02
(IC) Misery's Peak
Brankx, the slowest to get up, groans, and looks back. He smiles as cumarinda helps him up and nods. “Aye Cumarinda…..I’ll be fine. A few scrapes and bruises is all.” The dwarf looked at the mountain with a frustrated look, tempered by the clerics pain. He put his hand in the woman. “He’s one stubborn ass fool girl, but he’s as strong as a rock. He’s not dead…,in fact knowin’’ him,  he’s probably irritating th’ dragon as much as he does me.” Though his words were reassuring, there was a hint of worry in them.

She looked at the cleric. “…because if anything gonna kill that elf, it’s gonna be me fer that fool stunt he pulled.”

The dwarf looked at ballast with concern. “It seems th’ dragon helped with th’ army, and if we can free it, would help with the mind flayer problem…but this is far from over.”
Lars Hayton
 NPC, 5 posts
Sun 8 Aug 2021
at 02:27
(IC) Misery's Peak
Time passes. Everyone is getting more and more cold. Night has begun to fall. The cleric is emotional, the wizard wanting to kill the barbarian but is worried about him at the same time-and the warforged that doesn't really show emotion. More and more snow hits the ground making any movement hard but its possible. Upon the moon, a darken form seems to emerge in the distance and then it flies off to the north. The dragon. Time passes, maybe a hour, maybe two. But then a portal forms and steps out a man-Lars Heyton. It winks out as he watches everyone "Take my hands." How did he know where they are? Luck? Conincidence? Something else? His old stern look and he seems to not want to take no as a answer.
Brankx Onyxshield
 Wizard, 368 posts
 HP 30 AC 11
 F: +4, R: +2, W: +5
Sun 8 Aug 2021
at 05:53
(IC) Misery's Peak
The dwarf, though like most of his kin, felt the bite of the cold - he was used to being indoors and reading. Though he felt it, he fought his own conscious to hide the fact (He was dwarf after all)

He looked back at the mountain, seeing the dragon fly off, he spat on the ground, silently cursing the beast. He hoped the stubborn fool of an elf at least took out the mind flayers at least, but prayed he took the dragons head too.

When Lars stepped through, le looked back at the mountain, then took the man's hand. "Come....us freezin' ter death out here isn't gonna get us anywhere."  He went to Cumarindia, his tone and features softening. "We'll find 'im lass, I won't rest until i do - But we need help ter find him. Come."
Cumarinda Imbrex
 Cleric, 337 posts
 HP 62/62, AC:20
 F: +7, R: +3, W: +8
Mon 9 Aug 2021
at 00:29
Re: (IC) Misery's Peak
The cleric spends quite a while in fruitless efforts to dig her way back into the mountain. Once she has exhausted herself and is nearly helpless on her knees, she tearfully begins a series of prayers which end at nightfall. While drying her face, she sees the shadow of the dragon fly away to the north. Without a word, she looks to the others and builds a small fire within which she begins to boil snow. By the time Lars appears, the snow had finally become hot water.

Looking up into the eyes of those around her, the tracks of her tears were still evident on her face, but she otherwise seemed to have regained most of her composure, except for her smile.

"I'm ready to go. We've done what we can here, and I've all but said my final goodbye to my elvish wolf." she said soberly as she doused the fire with the hot water and took one of Lars' hands.
Lars Hayton
 NPC, 6 posts
Mon 9 Aug 2021
at 01:21
Re: (IC) Misery's Peak
Lars casts a spell, and within moments they arrive in his home in Korthos. The man sits down at the table, watching the three of them. He looks tired "I saw the mountain fall. And there is three of you. Where is the fourth?" Slowly, he presses his hands together upon the table and catches the teary eyes cleric and the normal smile has faded that she seems to alway had. He sighs deeply "So he was killed." He rubs his chin."I am sorry for your loss, truly. If you need to speak in private..." The wizard rests his hands upon the table as if unsure of what he would say. "Was the Flayer and dragon defeated? The magic orbs linger and the village is defended once more. Stronger them it once was but there was more to it. Something else yet I am unsure of what it was." He stands up and walks over to a side table, pouring something into a cup "Your safe now."The stern look Lars always had has not gone. Old and stubborn but powerful "I will speak to the Mayor about what happened unless you wish to."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 692 posts
Wed 11 Aug 2021
at 14:41
Re: (IC) Misery's Peak
With all that has happened, the dwarf is silent. Perhaps something is bothering him but he lets the cleric talk to Lars but does ask for him to take Brankx as a apprentice. Lars seems hestitant about it, rubbing his chin but does agree. Brankx turns and walks up after bidding the warforged and human a goodbye for now. Silence fills the area as he looks at Cumandria and Ballest, waiting.
Cumarinda Imbrex
 Cleric, 339 posts
 HP 62/62, AC:20
 F: +7, R: +3, W: +8
Wed 11 Aug 2021
at 19:28
Re: (IC) Misery's Peak
A slightly subdued version of Cumarinda's smile returns to her face. "I'm happy to see that my favorite dwarf has finally found himself a like tempered mentor. I'm sure that Brankx's knowledge will grow like a weed, and Master Lars will have gained a loyal and steadfast apprentice." With her smile still subdued she adds, "We saw the dragon escape and fly north, but the mind flayer, sahuagin and others all were still under the mountain as it fell. As for my beloved Feris, he is possibly still alive under there. Lars, neither I nor Brankx have the knowledge of how we might discover for sure if Fenris is still there." She pauses, her breath catching in her throat, her smile breaking, as her eyes and voice implore Lars, "Please! In the name of mercy! If you have any way to tell if Fenris is there and alive or dead, please tell me!"
Lars Hayton
 NPC, 7 posts
Wed 11 Aug 2021
at 19:43
Re: (IC) Misery's Peak
The wizard watches Cumarinda as she spins the tale of what had occured. He leans forward, glancing at the warforged "Would you mind providing us privacy?" The warforged nods and walksout. His eyes narrow, hands resting upon the table "I may have a way. Do you have anything from him? A gift?" The mages eyes close for a moment and he mutters something "It does help I have met him. So the item would be good but not neccassary. It is a spell of some power. But I will cast it." Moving to take her hands "Close your eyes. Focus on Fenris." He casts the spell and nothing happens. Another moment. A arcane pull then nothing. His eyes open and his head tilts as he stares at her. Almost as if in shock. He slowly pulls his hands back. No words, almost as if pondering what he saw. For some time he doesn't know what to say. He stands up and goes over the window "Interesting."

This message was last edited by the player at 10:21, Thu 12 Aug.

Cumarinda Imbrex
 Cleric, 341 posts
 HP 62/62, AC:20
 F: +7, R: +3, W: +8
Thu 12 Aug 2021
at 00:48
Re: (IC) Misery's Peak
Following him over to the window, the fire-hair colored woman stands just behind the wizard, her eyes still tearful but also glimmering with hope. "Please Master Lars," she asks in voice trembling with emotion while she pulls out an armful of furs, "I have these furs that Fenris gave me if you need them. Please share with me what you've discovered." Wiping her face of the tears slowly trickling down her face, she looks at his face, looking for any signs of reply.
Lars Hayton
 NPC, 8 posts
Thu 12 Aug 2021
at 01:12
Re: (IC) Misery's Peak
The mage watches her for a moment as she approaches. He crosses his arms "I sense nothing. Not a single trace as if he does not exist. I cannot explain it." Lars takes a deep breath "Yet when my spell was about to end..." He holds his hands out "Fenris is inside of you." Gently rubbing the side of his head, trying to compensate it and he takes a deep breath and with a hand he points at her chest then to her stomach "Well to a degree." He goes to place a chair near her "This is well..." Lars seems dumbfounded for the first time in a long, long time.
Ballast
 Fighter, 250 posts
 HP 65/65, AC: 22
 F: +7, R: +3, W: +3
Thu 12 Aug 2021
at 09:20
Re: (IC) Misery's Peak
Ballast was not terribly good at comforting others about death, death and deactivation being such a different thing for his kind.  But he had offered what physical support he could to Cumarinda as she had dug at the mountain.  When Lars had returned, Ballast was glad to see the old wizard, and glad enough to hear his news.  At least part of their quest had helped the village, even if the cost had been high.  "Fenris is the finest protector one could ask for," he told Cumarinda during their long, cold vigil.

Brankx's apprenticeship was a good thing.  Ballast was proud that his friend had chosen to learn from what was clearly a very learned and experienced magician.  "You will be a very strong wizard - I hope to see what you have mastered in the coming years."

But when Lars had done a magical scrying of Fenris, and made his most peculiar pronouncement, Ballast was baffled.  "Fenris... inside Cumarinda?" he said, shaking his head slowly in bewilderment.  "How?"