Act I.   Posted by Playwright.Group: 0
Playwright
 GM, 1 post
Tue 4 Dec 2018
at 22:52
Act I
Sunlight blazing through an open window.

A tangle of bedding.  A sleeping girl next to him.
Townshend
Tue 4 Dec 2018
at 22:53
Act I
Ah, yes, the lady Cate . . . he runs a finger along a bronze shoulder.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:49, Thu 30 Apr 2020.

Playwright
 GM, 2 posts
Tue 4 Dec 2018
at 23:03
Act I
Birds warbling outside a window.

Downstairs, a door thrown open.  Heavy boots on the stairs.  Climbing.  A pause at the landing, then the tread of boots along the boarding room corridor outside.  Slow footsteps, a confident gait, and the clink of steel.
Townshend
Fri 28 Dec 2018
at 22:20
Act I
Motioning to the girl to be quiet, Townshend draws his dagger from the straw of the mattress ticking where he had hidden it, eases his feet to the floor and in one fluid motion snatches his crumpled trousers and crosses to the door.


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Stealth (56): Townshend rolled 63 using 1d100 ((63)).

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:47, Fri 16 Aug 2019.

John Talbot
Fri 16 Aug 2019
at 20:45
Act I
A laugh, then a husky voice from outside the door, ‘Kit Townshend, you’re a terrible sneak-thief!  You’ll need to fix the creaks in these floorboards if you want to pretend you’re not at home.  It’s Talbot.’  A step towards the door and a loud knock.

‘Open up, lad - you’re in no trouble.  Ha, well, that is no trouble with the law.  I’m certain you’ve your own set of troubles, but they’ve naught to do with me.’  Another laugh.

‘C’mon, then - I’ve come to talk business.  You’ll be interested.’

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:46, Fri 16 Aug 2019.

Townshend
Fri 16 Aug 2019
at 20:57
Act I
Townshend looks up to the ceiling, makes an amused but wry face, then motions to Kate to start dressing.

‘Talbot!  You’ve a knack for timing, man.  I’ll give you that.  Allow me to don trousers, eh?  Townshend starts fumbling with his pants, beginning to put them on.

‘You know it’s early.  A man needs sleep.’

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:07, Thu 01 Oct 2020.

John Talbot
Fri 16 Aug 2019
at 21:06
Act I
A hearty laugh from outside the door.

‘Early?  Townshend, lad, it’s been light for hours!  It’s only early for you rogues and knaves that lay out all night - honest folk’ve been up and about since daybreak.  Now, are you going to let your old Captain in or am I going to have to stave in this door?’

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:56, Thu 30 Apr 2020.

Townshend
Fri 16 Aug 2019
at 21:16
Act I
Townshend looks to Kate to see that she is dressed, or mostly dressed, then he throws the bolt and opens the door.

Shaking his head, he smiles saying, ‘Constable John Talbot.  Welcome, Milord.’  He gives a mocking bow and beckons the man inside.
John Talbot
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 18:49
Act I
Talbot sweeps into the room.

"'Swounds, Townshend, I should give you a thrashing for being caught up here like a rat in a cage!  Ever the late riser.  I taught you be- . . . " and trails off as he sights Cate arranging herself.

Another hearty laugh.  Looking back at Townshend, he says slyly, "Well, Kit, perhaps I should keep my mouth shut."

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:43, Thu 30 Apr 2020.

Townshend
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 19:43
Act I
Townshend says sardonically, "Cate, meet John Talbot, her majesty's head constable of London.  Be not deceived by his title, as he is in truth, the living embodiment of the saying, 'set a thief to catch a thief'.  But, a good and a valiant man for all that and, a friend."

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:02, Fri 01 May 2020.

John Talbot
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 19:54
Act I
Talbot crosses his arms and says with a smirk, "Aye, 'set a thief to catch a thief', indeed, and here am I, keeping company with the likes of you, Kit.  Perhaps you have the right of it after all, my boy."

Turning to Cate, he says, "Lass, I'll not hold your choice of company against you.  We all make mistakes," then offers a slight formal bow.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:20, Fri 01 May 2020.

Playwright
 GM, 3 posts
Fri 1 May 2020
at 01:00
Act I
Cate, blushing, performs a quick and awkward curtsy.  Then, grabbing the last of her things, brushes past Talbot and out the door.  The two men can her rapid footsteps down the hall and down the stairs.
Townshend
Fri 1 May 2020
at 01:11
Act I
Townshend sighs and turns toward his pallet.  He sheathes his dagger and says, "Well, Captain Talbot, you've woken me and dashed my morning with the lady Cate.  I do hope you've something interesting to discuss.  As I see it, you owe me now."

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:10, Thu 01 Oct 2020.

John Talbot
Fri 1 May 2020
at 01:12
Act I
Talbot arches his eyebrows and crosses arms again, "I do hate I interrupted your morning, Kit.  I wouldn't be here if it weren't worth your while.  Interesting?  I don't know, but it does pay.  Well."

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:19, Fri 01 May 2020.

Townshend
Fri 1 May 2020
at 01:28
Act I
Townshend turns and mirrors Talbot's crossed arms, "It's almost like old times, is it then?  Where have I heard that before, 'it pays well'?  Mayhaps before we caught ship to Flanders and the mud and the rain.  I'm not interested in trailing the pike with you around half of the United Netherlands, if that's what you're about."
John Talbot
Fri 1 May 2020
at 01:44
Act I
Talbot smiles, says, "If I recall, you didn't make out so bad in Flanders.  But in any event, I didn't come to call in order to drag you to some interminable war - I believe Bess has enough sense to stay out of the Dutch troubles.  No, I need your services for something closer to home."

"It's simple really.  Some people need a message . . . intercepted, shall we say.  You need only return it and collect your payment.  A night of work and you'll be back with your Cate.  How does that sound?"

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 01:44, Fri 01 May 2020.

Townshend
Fri 1 May 2020
at 01:52
Act I
Townshend looks at Talbot quizzically, says, "It sounds too easy, John.  Why not do it yourself?  You've men at your disposal, they could easily stop a messenger.  Why me?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:57, Fri 01 May 2020.

John Talbot
Fri 1 May 2020
at 02:06
Act I
Talbot replies, "Ah, you come to the crux of it, Kit.  You always do.  That's just it - these people do not want her Majesty's government involved.  We could easily take a man, of course, but this needs to be a street affair.  Just another robbery in Southwark, nothing important, nothing noteworthy.  Done."

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:18, Fri 01 May 2020.

Townshend
Fri 1 May 2020
at 02:14
Act I
Townshend thinks for a moment, says, "A lone messenger?  Or, a group?  A group expecting trouble?  Trouble at the hands of 'her Majesty's government'?  I've seen more than one 'easy' task become a bloodbath.  What am I walking into?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:24, Fri 01 May 2020.

John Talbot
Fri 1 May 2020
at 02:42
Act I
Talbot nods, says, "As I understand, it is a lone messenger.  Whomever sent the messenger and whatever note he bears, there appears to be as little desire for a notable incident on their part as there is for ours.  An armed group moving through Southwark would attract attention, would it not?

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:08, Fri 02 Oct 2020.

Townshend
Fri 2 Oct 2020
at 21:22
Act I
Townshend smiles, says "It has been a while, then, since you've been to Southwark.  Everyone is armed there.  And what, pray thee are your employers paying for this nothing noteworthy robbery?"
John Talbot
Fri 2 Oct 2020
at 21:28
Act I
Talbot grins and wags his finger, "A man of business.  5 sovereigns.  Not bad for a night's work.  I dare say you'd be hard pressed to make that in a year."
Townshend
Fri 2 Oct 2020
at 21:35
Act I
Townshend raises his eyebrows and sighs, "Better than the pay in Her Majesty's army, in any event.  Then, let's say I agree.  How will I know this messenger?"
John Talbot
Fri 2 Oct 2020
at 22:02
Act I
Talbot looks around and quips, "Do you have nary a chair in this apartment, Townshend?"  He begins to pace.  "He will be leaving the White Hart at sundown and we believe will meet another courier in the Tower precinct.  You will know him by his red livery and will be carrying a physic'ss bag.  Take him before he reaches the Bridge, then meet my courier Bankside, across from The Swan.  The skiff will have two lights.  I will pull my watchmen to the north bank until midnight, then I will have to patrol."