Part I - Chillhame.   Posted by Aenarion.Group: 0
Aenarion
 GM, 14 posts
Tue 25 Dec 2018
at 16:07
Part I - Chillhame
At first, it feels as if you must be dreaming. The sense of dislocation, the giddiness, the feeling of flying rapidly through space, all add to the unreality. Where are you? What were you doing a moment ago? These thoughts arise in your mind, as if you were half-awake, on the borderlands of consciousness. Perhaps you have been knocked senseless, or poisoned with some hallucinogenic drug. One thing is certain; you are in a strange place and you do not remember how you came here.

What you can see before you is as clouded and vague as the contents of your mind. There seems to be nothing but mist, swirling in eddies around you, with a suggestion of huge shapes briefly glimpsed through it. The mist is cold on your face and with a start you realize that this is no dream. You are here, physically here in your body, fully dressed and carrying your equipment. There is wet grass beneath your feet. You feel no pain, so it stands to reason that you were not knocked out and dragged here. How, then, did you come to be here? Alone in the mist, you wonder why you do not feel more afraid.

There is a presence here, something old and comforting, like a childhood memory. The mist begins to clear. In the faint light of a new day, you see the huge forms that you glimpsed before. They are megaliths – standing stones that tower over you, set into the form of a circle. This place is achingly familiar to you, yet you have never been here before. Through the thinning mists, you see that you are not alone. There are others here, and by the look of them, they are as surprised to find themselves here as you are.
Falinar
 player, 7 posts
Fri 11 Jan 2019
at 16:11
Part I - Chillhame
Falinar's sense of peace on seeing the megaliths passed quickly as he saw the other people in the circle. His confusion and natural instincts kicked in though and his rapier was out of the sheath before his mind had registered the action.

He tried to keep a watch on the others in the circle while his eyes flicked about examining the stones and the sky to see if he could figure where he was right then.

Rapier still at the ready, though he did lower it to appease any fears he called out, "I am Falinar Edler von Forcade de Jehannum. Do any of you know where in Old Heakun crazed mind we are currently? I was asleep unarmed, and now here. Have the rest of you just arrived as well?"


OOC: EDIT to include rolls!
13:30, Today: Secret Roll: Falinar rolled 6 using 1d20+1. Perception.
07:41, Today: Secret Roll: Falinar rolled 10,10,14 using 1d20+5,1d20+5,1d20+1. K (Dungeoneering), K (Engineering), K(Geography)

This message was last edited by the player at 21:32, Fri 11 Jan 2019.

Teznir Rizlaw
 player, 7 posts
 Halfling
 White Necromancer
Fri 11 Jan 2019
at 21:01
Part I - Chillhame
Teznir's mind was just beginning to sift through his own medical knowledge to try and figure out what sort of ailment he might be suffering from when Falinar drew his weapon and spoke. The halfling's arms were in the air before he had a chance to think, but he half-lowered them again when it appeared the man was not a threat after all.

"I- I'm not sure. I think I just arrived, but I can't actually remember how I got here. It seems awfully familiar though. So odd..." The young man's mind drifted off for a moment before his attention snapped back to reality. "I am Teznir, by the way. Teznir Rizlaw."
Aenarion
 GM, 31 posts
Fri 11 Jan 2019
at 21:28
Part I - Chillhame
Seeing the sky above was rather difficult, due to the thick mist that pervaded the entire area surrounding the stones, but Falinar estimated by the faint hazy light that it must have been some time after dawn. There were all in all 12 megaliths, standing some 30 feet across from each other, forming a rough circle. After taking a moment to survey the place, Falinar realized that each stranger, himself included, stood right next to one of those large stones.



A DC 15 Perception check might reveal a bit more.
Rebecca Stonebrooke
 player, 8 posts
Sat 12 Jan 2019
at 00:14
Part I - Chillhame
Rebecca was disoriented at first as she sat up. A look around  told her that she wasn't at home anymore, but she had no memory of travelling here. Her first worry was that she would not see her owl again. That was quickly squashed when she saw the creature atop the monolith, scanning around like it usually did. She breathed an audible sigh of relief an stood up. Seeing the others stir and introduce themselves, she politely offered her name as well. "Nice to meet all of you. I am Rebecca. I remember being out in the forest but after that it fades and I woke up here, with no recollection as to how I arrived. My friend up there is called Harold. He is with me." She continues to look around for signs of where they are, glancing for a while at Harold then resumes looking around.
Rokukumo Denkoushin
 player, 9 posts
 Human
 Samurai
Sat 12 Jan 2019
at 01:01
Part I - Chillhame
"If it's a fight you're wanting Falinar, you'll be well outnumbered here. Peace, stow your blade, so we may talk as adults." Rokukumo said as he calmly leaned against the megalith nearest himself. His body was relaxed, with a small smirk on his face as he casually looked around. The warrior was still cautious, as Falinar never left his vision. His mild confusion concerning his current whereabouts didn't prevent the tall man from acting as if he belonged there, especially considering the feeling of familiarity.

Rokukumo Denkoushin rolled 7 using 1d20+5.  Perception.
Rokukumo Denkoushin rolled 14 using 1d20+5.  Knowledge: Arcana.

Falinar
 player, 8 posts
Sat 12 Jan 2019
at 01:20
Part I - Chillhame
"I do not trust this place, nor any of you yet, especially those who won't even share their names such as yourself. So no, I will keep my blade unsheathed for now. You may address me as Herr Falinar since you seem unfamiliar with customs of nobility in Jehannum."

Falinar kept his eyes on the other, especially the one who challenged him without sharing his name, but he paced about the clearing a bit to see if there was anything other than megaliths to be seen.

"From where do you all hail? Perhaps we can figure out reason that we were all brought...wherever we are."
Rebecca Stonebrooke
 player, 10 posts
Sat 12 Jan 2019
at 01:31
Part I - Chillhame
Rebecca signaled for Harold to fly down to her, perching on her shoulder with ease. "I believe we will all deal with the disorientation of getting here differently. Herr Falinar, in my humble experience once catches far more flies with honey than with vinegar. One with your background surely can draw a blade fast enough to defend yourself. Please stow the weapon until some threat presents itself. I come from a farm outside the village of Holly's Fall in Boskenland. I believe my ancestors came from Jehannum, though it must have been well over a hundred years ago. I remember well the tales of order and honor, of heroes and champions. One from such a place must have acquired at least a bit of that. Let's work together to figure out what is going on, and assume that we are all victims of the same scheme until we find evidence to the contrary."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:31, Sat 12 Jan 2019.

Garos
 player, 8 posts
Sat 12 Jan 2019
at 05:06
Part I - Chillhame
Garos barely managed to keep from rolling his eyes at Falinar's behavior.  Nobles.  He thought with a wince, Does it have to be nobles in every dream.  If the dream went to type, he'd end up eviscerating the noble by the end of it, then waking up feeling guilty.  Still, the obelisks were unusual.  Just in case this was something else, he voiced,  "Garos, if it matters."  He looked around for clues while he waited for fighting to break out.


23:17, Today: Garos rolled 20 using 1d20+8.  Perception.
Falinar
 player, 9 posts
Sat 12 Jan 2019
at 05:53
Part I - Chillhame
Falinar looked at Rebecca as she spoke, he appeared to consider her words for a second, then gave a simple nod as he sheathed his sword. "Order yes, honor for some," he added with a shrug.

Having made his decision Falinar walked up to a megalith and ran his hands over it and then walked around it. "Anyone have any idea where in the realms we are?"
Rebecca Stonebrooke
 player, 11 posts
Sat 12 Jan 2019
at 21:52
Part I - Chillhame
"All I know is that the symbols on these stones correlate with the 12 Patron Stars, that this construct is extremely old, and we are north, possibly on a small island. I think we should keep looking around." she explains, before studying the stones further.
Rokukumo Denkoushin
 player, 10 posts
 Human
 Samurai
Sun 13 Jan 2019
at 00:46
Part I - Chillhame
"Ah seems the nobles can deign to listen to the rabble eh?" Rokukumo chuckled to himself before turning his head to the woman, "Thank you for your words of wisdom madam Rebecca, as for myself I was lounging at an inn with several acquaintances I had recently met. After some drink I went to bed, then awoke here. I am Rokukumo Denkoushin, Knight-Errant of the Order of the Eastern Star."
Teznir Rizlaw
 player, 8 posts
 Halfling
 White Necromancer
Sun 13 Jan 2019
at 02:39
Part I - Chillhame
Teznir nodded when Rebecca suggested they keep looking around. He did exactly that after whispering a quick prayer for Guidance, assisted with a spark of arcane magic. He conjured up a few orbs of light as well, hoping they would help cut through the fog, although he had his doubts. "I am all for looking around, but what is it that we are looking for?" he asked. "I just used up the last of my money on a place to stay for a few weeks. Paid for a nice bed, but doesn't seem I even got to use it. So I hope whoever brought us here gives refunds." He joked, but it was a thin veil to mask just how unsettled he felt right now.

Teznir cast Dancing Lights, and Guidance. He is Looking for additional clues as they converse.
20:30, Today: Teznir Rizlaw rolled 7 using 1d20+3.  Perception, looking around, with Guidance.

Garos
 player, 9 posts
Sun 13 Jan 2019
at 03:24
Part I - Chillhame
Garos considered the birthmark under the sleeve on his arm, and the symbol on the stone nearest him.  Then he moved around to look at those the others had started closest to.  "You all carry a mark like that on your stone?" He asked aloud as he went to look at each of the stones and noting who had stood near it.
Rebecca Stonebrooke
 player, 12 posts
Sun 13 Jan 2019
at 05:10
Part I - Chillhame
Rebecca thought that was an oddly specific question. "I have a mark on my back that could be the Specter. Do you have one from another stone?" she asks while continuing to look at the stones for any clues as to why they were here.
Caedan Starfire
 player, 3 posts
Sun 13 Jan 2019
at 06:52
Part I - Chillhame
As awareness seeped through the mist in his mind, Caedan kept his eyes closed, straining his senses to get a grasp on his surroundings. His last memory had been trekking through the wilderness on a quest to find some herbs for an alchemist; a mundane task but the old man paid well enough. During his journey he found himself surrounded by a strange fog that crept up suddenly, taking him unawares.

The fog had a clammy, unnatural feel to it and to his shock Caedan found himself becoming drowsy, his movements and mind slowing as if under the effects of a drug or an enchantment, the latter of which was nearly impossible to successfully perform on an elf, especially one trained in the arts arcane.

Focusing on the present, Caedan could hear people speaking; he snapped his eyes open and sprang to his feet with a speed & grace that came so easily to the elven-kind.
His dark eyes raked over the assembled people from beneath the hood of his cloak and though he did not draw a weapon he was prepared to do so in the blink of an eye if need be, while the words to a potent spell blazed in his mind, ready to be invoked.

Listening to what they said Caedan realized they were as much in the dark as he was about their current situation. Relaxing slightly, he turned and glanced at the impressive megaliths, wondering if they had something to do with all of them waking here.

"I am Caedan of Silvermoon," he said finally to the others. "It is strange we have all been brought here in such circumstances, against our wills. Perhaps these structures have aught to do with it, for in ancient times my people had portals placed all over the lands which they could use to move thousands of leagues in an eyeblink."

Gesturing at the megaliths with a slender hand the elf added, "The portals took the shape of similar structures such as these, from what I recall of the old texts."
Falinar
 player, 10 posts
Sun 13 Jan 2019
at 08:02
Part I - Chillhame
Falinar gracefully ignored the rude comments of the so-called knight-errant and continued to study his stone. When Garos asked about a birthmark he nodded, "I have a mark that appears similar to the Unicorn which is the same mark found on this stone here. Interesting."

Falinar stepped out of the ring of stones briefly to see what wes beyond them before stepping back in with the rest of the group.
Rokukumo Denkoushin
 player, 11 posts
 Human
 Samurai
Sun 13 Jan 2019
at 23:38
Part I - Chillhame
Rokukumo lowered his eyebrows, seemingly in thought as Garos brought up the topic of birthmarks and constellations. "I have a birthmark upon my left shoulder, that of a lantern. My mother always thought it was connected to the Watchman, who's stars I was born under."

The tall young man began to look around for others that might have been quiet until now, curiosity evident on his face. Unlike the nobleman, Rokukumo felt quite relaxed, after all if who or whatever had brought them here meant them harm, they would've had ample opportunity to do so whilst they all slept. So in his mind it boiled down to entertaining themselves while their host(s) readied themselves for a grand entrance or recuperated from the exertion of gathering together several disparate strangers from across the continents. Well I guess it doesn't hurt to be prepared, after all Farnese went through in teaching me, I don't want to get her angry at me, Rokukumo thought to himself as he subtly shifted his body as he leaned against his standing stone.
Teznir Rizlaw
 player, 9 posts
 Halfling
 White Necromancer
Mon 14 Jan 2019
at 00:35
Part I - Chillhame
"All of you have a birthmark?" Teznir asked, curiously. "I do as well, on my elbow. I would say the specter, like Rebecca, as that was the sign I was born under. It can't be coincidence..." Birthmarks alone were not all that rare, but there were too many similarities surrounding them to not jump to conclusions. The halfling's magical lights spun quickly in circles around his head as his nose wrinkled in contemplation.
Aenarion
 GM, 33 posts
Mon 14 Jan 2019
at 12:11
Part I - Chillhame
Before Rebecca had enough time to inspect the ancient standing stones further, out of nowhere, a voice spoke to you in a faint but perfectly clear tone. As it spoke, the stones thrummed with a strange vibration, as if they were amplifying the voice somehow.

"The time of the Equinox is come. My children…I am sorry. I have done what must be done. You deserve answers. I am far…too far from you. You must learn who you are. The land is yours. The people are yours."

The speaker seemed to be under great strain, as if just speaking to you was exhausting her.

"This place is sacred to you. Sacred to the stars that you are. There are other places like this. From the time when people remembered. Heed me now. If any of you should fall, then bear him to the stones, and the soul will be able to enter the flesh…once again. But make haste, for flesh that is spoiled can never be made whole."

There is silence again and you wondered if that is all. Then the voice spoke once more, faint as a dying echo:

"Know this. There is a force against you. Already it gathers, already it senses your return. Seek the sword of Starkweather John…it lies near, waiting to be claimed…when that is found, you may begin to understand, to remember."

With these ominous words, the voice fell silent once more, leaving you alone in the thinning mists, as the light of a new day began to dawn.
Falinar
 player, 11 posts
Mon 14 Jan 2019
at 18:54
Part I - Chillhame
Falinar spun about as the voice spoke and echoed around them and through the stones. He could hear the strain, but he didn't understand what was going on in the least. People are ours?...Souls and bodies, death and forces? he thought to himself? Swords... at least I understand those. Swords I can do.

"What...what was that? Everyone heard that right? Thoughts? Anyone know of this Starkweather John and his sword? That should at least help us know where we are right now." Falinar said to the others as the voice faded.

OOC: which knowledge skill to know of that sword name? History? Local? Dungeoneering?
Teznir Rizlaw
 player, 10 posts
 Halfling
 White Necromancer
Mon 14 Jan 2019
at 19:01
Part I - Chillhame
Teznir's eyes widened as the voice started speaking, and he looked around to make sure the others were hearing it too. The message was certainly eerie, and more than a little bit ominous. There was a force against them? And they were being tasked with seeking a sword?

What <i>was that?</i> he thought, even as Falnir said the words aloud. "And why do we have to claim his sword?" The halfling's mind struggled to make sense of it. But then again, the voice said they would begin to understand once they found the sword, so it was no surprise that he did not understand yet.

"I am not aware of who that is, but now I really want to find out. Whoever it is, they are connected to whatever brought us here."
Garos
 player, 10 posts
Mon 14 Jan 2019
at 19:52
Part I - Chillhame
Garos shook his head.  "Nuith!?  Now I know this is a fever dream.  There's no way they had their prayers get through to her.  Even if they did there's no way she'd answer them with us by sending us before they prayed, right?"  His mind boggled and reeled at the sheer implausibility of what was going on, even as he pulled out his wooden holy symbol and began matching the constellations on it to those on the stones around them.  He wanted to check and confirm what he thought, before he would allow himself to go well and gibberingly mad.

His suspicion confirmed, he said to the group, "I do not know anything about the sword or Starkweather.  As to the voice... I suspect it was a hoax arranged by a crazed cult of swamp elves.  Otherwise... and this is insane so don't believe it... Otherwise, it was the voice of Nuith, creator of all living.  Who only never speaks or answers prayers."
Caedan Starfire
 player, 4 posts
Mon 14 Jan 2019
at 21:49
Part I - Chillhame
Listening with great interest to the others, Caedan had been about to point out the obvious birthmark he had been born with perfectly placed between his brow, when a voice of power began to speak.

He started, but tried not to show it, and listened carefully. When it was finished Caedan stroked his chin and finally said, "Well, that was interesting to say the least. I cannot make anymore sense of it than any of you, nor do I know whether to believe it."

After all, being brought back from death was something heard of only in myths and legends; even the most skilled of Silvermoon's adepts and spellweavers, and the most powerful of their mages did not have the ability to retrieve a soul from the afterlife once it had departed the body.

But then again, elves were not prone to necromancy, what this sort of sounded like.

Spreading his hands he said, "Well, since we have little else to do here should we search for this sword? If it is indeed nearby and we find it, perhaps we can begin unraveling this mystery and find a way back home."
Falinar
 player, 12 posts
Mon 14 Jan 2019
at 21:57
Part I - Chillhame
Falinar had a faraway look for a second and then he chimed back in, "wait! I've just remembered a rhyme from my youth. Something a nanny or nursemaid used to have me sing for some reason. I think it it might be related to this..."

He began to hum, and then chant in a sing-song voice:
"Starkwater rose in time to quench the night,
On and on his heroes rose to fight.
With him had stood numerous friends but once
Now, alone, unsung lies he in Bronce."


With a shake of his head, "that's all I can remember now, but I think Bronce is a city, or town of some sort in the north of Chillhame. If this voice said it was near, perhaps that is where we find ourselves? Near Bronce or at least on Chillhame or both."

This message was last edited by the player at 21:58, Mon 14 Jan 2019.