Ch.2 And so it begins.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
GM
 GM, 113 posts
Mon 19 Oct 2020
at 23:44
Ch.2 And so it begins.

04:40 11th October, 2000
Edge of the road, West of the concrete Factory, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Still, -05oC




As they group who are about to assault the dug in MG soon realise as they take their first steps up the mound it becomes clear that the sand underneath is still very much there and will create a real obstacle as you try to get purchase on the moving terrain. Your movements also cause one of the enemy to look over the side and to spot you. He is slightly above the ring of sand bags to the front of his position and as he turns to shout a warning or point you out a flurry of impacts dance around the top of the prepared position causing him to drop down again.

You don't see him again before a couple of hastily thrown grenades drop into the MG's position and detonate. After a few seconds struggle to crest the mound summit you are greeted by the perforated remains of one enemy and the body of another slumped as he tried to run. An RPK lies mangled on the bottom of the pit, it stock and grip missing and it would seem its receiver also perforated by fragments. Well formed steps descended the rear of the mound.

Those assaulting the enemy position by the bridge move out at the same time, weapons at their shoulders as they emerge from the waning smoke cloud. One enemy dressed in overalls and carrying a PPS submachine gun is caught displacing to the other side of the bridge, he does manage a burst from the weapon before he is hit in the upper body by the assault team.

At this point the other two bridge defenders also open up on the team. Jerome is able to fire off a couple of bursts from his weapon before a return shot hits him in the shoulder and spins him, though he is able to maintain his feet as pain radiates out from his shoulder. Waldo having expended his rifles magazine suppressing the assault on the MG position has just driven a second home as the smoke dissipates and revels Jerome taking a hit. His return  fire on the bridge seems to catch a second defender also armed with a PPS and shirtless who drops back into the trench. Lastly Pavel who was following close behind Jerome fires a burst at the third defender who has started firing on their group. The incoming rounds impact close enough to cause small stones from the asphalt to smack against his BDU trousers as he returns a long burst. It impacts across the guard rail and into the defender as well. He drops below the bridge as had the others.

Then there is silence.... both groups meet back up at the bridge as they cover each other when a check was made on the three eney defenders. The two dressed in overalls have expired by the time they are laid out on the bridge the third was dressed and equipped very differently from anyone else you have encountered.

He is dressed in a heavy Russian bullet proof vest which has clearly stopped two of Pavels shots, the third has just missed the very top of the vest and gone through the main body just below his neck. On his head is a kevlar helmet similar to the standard issue NATO version and a set of NVG's. He is armed with a AK variant you have not seen before either, with black polymer furniture and oddly it looks brand new, a night vision scope tops this off but looks to have taken a round to the body. There is lastly a small hand-held radio in a pouch on his vest. Everything he wears is rather new looking and is black. Jerome checks his shoulder to find no blood and it looks as if the round skipped off his vest. Is arm is throbbing with pain and any movement is hard.

With the way to the boat dock open you move in a leap frog fashion covering each other until you are beside the river. A large tin shed greets you that would have been open to the river were it not for a massive cargo type camouflage net of the type used to disguise impromptu runways. The British members of your team at seen them used by the Royal Airfoce and Navy to cover Harrier positions. As you move towards the structure you see a covered workshop next to the boat dock and several piles of various building materials that were probably going to be used on the boat. Most of it looks to be train rails and sleepers.

Just then a voice is heard from the workshop ”To bol posledný z nich, ak ste ich zastrelili.“ “No... English ? Those three were the last of them if you shoot them ?“

As you move closer you can see two cages like the type used in Police stations, there are two figures standing in them covered in blankets.

Ammunition expenditure - please update you character sheets:

Richard Cunningham = 10 5.56mm, 1 HE grenade.
Waldo Donaldson = 30 5.56mm
Elias McIntyre = 1 HE grenade
Jerome McCaffrey = 20 5.56mm
James Kirkwood = 10 5.56mm
Serzhant Pavel Gregoravich Valenkov 20 7.62mm






-
Richard Cunningham
 player, 9 posts
Tue 20 Oct 2020
at 20:45
Ch.2 And so it begins.
Cunningham dashes straight over to the boat dock to assess what we have there... any excuse to mess about on boats and he is your man! On arriveal he notes the Harrier covers for the metal shed:

"Fucking hell... these nets are bloody Harrier nets, seen them often enough before! What the hell are they doing here?"

Not quite trusting the voice that came from the cage Cunningham casts his eye over the dock to check for other signs of life (and an excuse to move closer to any boat!), all the while sweeping his L85 in front of him to cover himself in case of enemy stragglers.



Moving to the boat dock in the hope of finding a boat
Covering the dock with L85 in case other enemy combatants emerge.

L85 20/30

This message was last edited by the player at 20:46, Tue 20 Oct 2020.

Jerome McCaffrey
 player, 32 posts
Wed 21 Oct 2020
at 10:35
Ch.2 And so it begins.
Jerome jogged over, favouring his shoulder. He reckoned there would be quite a bruise there.

"Hey Richard, what can you see?"

He knew the man's love of boats, if not his experince, matched his own.
Elias McIntyre
 player, 65 posts
 SGT USA
Wed 21 Oct 2020
at 12:46
Ch.2 And so it begins.
Elias sees the men in the cages on the dock.

"Ain't right, havin' a man inna cage."

Elias walks up to the dock, then covers that voice from the workshop with his shotgun, approaching that.

"Who be ya in that workshop, eh?  Show me some dick whackers."


Elias
Advancing on the workshop
Shotgun ready

Waldo Donaldson
 player, 15 posts
Wed 21 Oct 2020
at 21:26
Ch.2 And so it begins.
Donaldson reloaded on the move, taking a course down along the side of the road until he came to the bridge and hustled across to the other side. Moving along slowly behind the others he kept a frequent check on their back trail. As he approached the docks he could hear the conversation and cut across behind the others making his way towards the side of the river.

Careful to keep in the shadows of the trees, Donaldson found a position not far from the shop that allowed him to keep and eye out back towards the road while keeping the shop in his peripheral vision. There were simply too many avenues of approach for anyone coming to find out what all the ruckus was from. At least there were boats here. With any luck they would be on their way soon.

As an after thought he loaded another flare into the M203. With luck they would be out here soon. Once heard McIntyre belting out his usual nearly incomprehensible version of the English language Donaldson dropped to a kneeling position next to a thick oak tree and clicked on the laser/illuminator on his M4A1. Slipping his nigh vision goggles into place he tried looking around by scanning the tight beam of infrared light along the building and docks as he used his NVGs to seek out threats.

Donaldson

Kneeling near tree thirty yards or so from the shop
M4A1/M203 (30/30) (1/1, ILLUM)
Trying to use IR illuminator w/NVGs to check the area for threats
James Kirkwood
 player, 28 posts
 Sergeant
 Royal Marines
Thu 22 Oct 2020
at 01:30
Ch.2 And so it begins.

As the team regrouped and moved across the bridge James quickly took the opportunity to grab a full mag from his webbing, eject the nearly empty mag and swap them over. He also reloaded the grenade launcher with another HE round.

Carefully he trailed the group as they moved towards the river frequently turning around to cover their rear. He was relieved that they seemed to have eliminated the enemy forces but you never knew if there could be one or two still out there.

He hadnt said anything to the group yet but the guy Pavel had taken down with the new equipment and AK was a bit of concern when they were really expecting only militia.

Moving into the area near the docks he followed Elias across towards the guys in the cells, Rich and Jerome seemed to have the boat covered and he was keen to hear what these guys could tell them about what was going on.

He grinned at Elias's comments as they closed on the workshop

James Kirkwood
Rifle at ready following Elias towards the workshop and cells
L85/GL (30/30) (1HE 40mm)

GM
 GM, 116 posts
Thu 5 Nov 2020
at 23:41
Ch.2 And so it begins.

The man in the cage again asked "English ?" He looks at the collected group before adding "Names Pavlof and this is Mr Singh. I don't know his real name his Slovak and English are as good as my Indian, real wiz on the steam engines though. Is that what you have come about I suspect, the boat yes ?" He again looks at you all.

"If you don't mind the key for these cages is on the opposite wall. I need to stretch my legs and I think you probably want to see what you have "Won". When he is released Pavlof ushers you through the workshop and then into the covered dock.

Even with the camo nets dappling some of the early morning light you see the boat before you. It is a reasonable sized paddle steamer with some sort of APC mounted on it's rear. "Mr Singh was going to do another boiler test today, seems to think its ready and willing. Though there is probably another weeks or so work before she will be ready for any sort of trip on the river."

"Oh did you sort out the Russians in the other bunker, I did'nt hear any gun fire from over that direction. ?




-
Jerome McCaffrey
 player, 33 posts
Sun 8 Nov 2020
at 11:30
Ch.2 And so it begins.
McCaffrey went over to inspect the boat.
James Kirkwood
 player, 30 posts
 Sergeant
 Royal Marines
Sun 8 Nov 2020
at 21:53
Ch.2 And so it begins.

Walking with Pavlof and Mr Singh to the boat and listening to them discussing the boat and its readiness James had been half-relaxing until the comment about the other bunker and potentially more Russians.

"Shit, we took out about 8 guys from memory but dont recall any from that direction unless they came down and joined the others we engaged"

"Do you know how many there were in total around here?" he asks

With the boat not ready to be moved yet they will need to secure this area as a base of operations until they can get it finished. While waiting for the answer James is looking around to see if there is any good areas for them setup security to cover the likely approaches.
GM
 GM, 119 posts
Sun 8 Nov 2020
at 22:59
Ch.2 And so it begins.

Pavlof thought for a minute and then added "About six of the Russian guys, all dressed in black an menacing... they were not nice. One of them came and got the two mechanics once things kicked off. They were based by the bunker on the peninsula, over there." He pointed across the dock to an piece of land opposite covered in dense foliage and trees.

"They are the ones to worry about, real professional.. you know. I can show you the path and bridge to the bunker."



-
Waldo Donaldson
 player, 16 posts
Mon 9 Nov 2020
at 01:53
Ch.2 And so it begins.
"McCaffrey, can you get a boat up and running soon?" Donaldson asked as he moved latterly trying to keep to the shadows and trees. Keeping an eye on the shore so he could cover McCaffrey as he inspected the boats, Donaldson took up an knelling position near a tree. "Those others will know we're here. Gunfire, flares, explosions, and protected resources. We probably don't have much time and can't rely on having any advantage."


Donaldson

Kneeling near tree covering McCaffrey as he inspects the boats
M4A1/M203 (30/30) (1/1, ILLUM)
Trying to use IR illuminator w/NVGs to check the area for threats
James Kirkwood
 player, 31 posts
 Sergeant
 Royal Marines
Mon 9 Nov 2020
at 06:10
Ch.2 And so it begins.

"Fuck, so could be up to 5 more guys unaccounted for as we only saw one in the black armour"James says after getting the update.

Keeping it low as sound travels easily at night James will quickly make sure the rest of the team is aware that 5 more Russians could be here quite soon. It would be good to have some claymores and the opportunity to set an ambush but no idea how far away they are.

He gets Pavlof to show him where the path heads into the bush and sets up behind some cover nearby where can see the location. James keeps his rifle aimed in the direction while scanning the surrounds and listening for any movement.

James Kirkwood
Crouched behind cover
L85 / GL (30/30) 1 40mm HE
Ready to fire and scanning for incoming

Elias McIntyre
 player, 66 posts
 SGT USA
Mon 9 Nov 2020
at 15:39
Ch.2 And so it begins.
Elias grabs the indicated key and unlocks and lets out the caged men.

"Ain't been much accused of bein' o' th' English laddie, but will let you out anyways."

He looks in the direction of the bunker.

"We be liking to slippin' out without more fightin', but probably nay be happening?"

He gestures in the general direction of the town.

"Wee town down a way, they was askin' us to clear out a little infestation they had down here, prior to some other things.. just to avoid a wee trouble, ye ken?  So might be we need to finish these very serious men off eh?"



Elias
Letting the men out of the cage.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:41, Mon 09 Nov 2020.

Jerome McCaffrey
 player, 34 posts
Mon 9 Nov 2020
at 19:24
Ch.2 And so it begins.
"I'll see what I can do."

Jerome jumped nimbly onto the deck, wincing slightly as the landing jarred his shoulder. Yes, definitely a LARGE bruise he throught as he started to look around.

He checked everything systematically, the way his father had taught him a decade ago, half a world away. Some things never change, the real things that made life worth living. Powerplant. Fuel. Running lights. Navigational equipment. Charts. Radio. Anchor. Then he went below, mainly to check the bilges, but also to see if the creature comforts were catered for...
Waldo Donaldson
 player, 18 posts
Tue 10 Nov 2020
at 00:05
Ch.2 And so it begins.
"It would be best to lure the enemy to us. Have them track us back a place of our choosing. Set up on them and blast the hell out of them." Donaldson said. "Here they have the advantage of knowing the land. And there could be more than five of them. Best to play it safe/"
GM
 GM, 120 posts
Wed 11 Nov 2020
at 09:56
Ch.2 And so it begins.

The river boat Captain takes you through the back door of the workshop and then across some scrub and grass to a small bridge that had you not had a guide you would have surly missed. It little more then a foot bridge, but does cut down on the traverse you would otherwise have to take. At this point Pavlof stops and asks "You smell that ?" At this point you catch a whiff of the smoke that seem to be issuing from the direction of the bunker.

A few more steps and you can plainly see and smell the position. A medium size military tent next to the concrete bunker is on fire as well as it would seem the bunker itself. Smoke is issuing from the back door that is facing you and the three gun-ports to the front. "Seems they left in a hurry." You rush forward rifles at your shoulders and quickly clear what's left of the camp.

Inside the bunker you can see the source of the fire, a Russian thermite grenade has been set off atop what was a manpack radio and probable a bunch of code books and the like. At this point its a pile of twisted metal and wood and nothing more. Pavlof runs past you and stops at the waters edge, "Looks as if they had a boat of their own." he points out the drag marks in the river mud and then on the breeze from the other side of the river you can hear the sound of an outboard motor before it is cut off.



-
Elias McIntyre
 player, 67 posts
 SGT USA
Wed 11 Nov 2020
at 22:17
Ch.2 And so it begins.
"Then we bettah get back, and be ready to move ourself.  Be hopin them nasties decided to cut and run."

He takes a look around before going back the other way.


Elias
Back to the boat!

James Kirkwood
 player, 33 posts
 Sergeant
 Royal Marines
Thu 12 Nov 2020
at 05:05
Ch.2 And so it begins.

"Just glad they buggered off and we didnt have another firefight" James says with a grin at Elias

"We need to secure the boat dock and finish any work that needs to be done so we can get that boat underway. Hopefully we can move it to a more secure location closer to town centre"


After looking around with Elias, James heads back down the track to the workshop and boat.
Elias McIntyre
 player, 68 posts
 SGT USA
Thu 12 Nov 2020
at 06:17
Ch.2 And so it begins.
"I would be a clear bit happier with those men dead.  I am kennin ain't th' last we be seein of em."

He grins, pulls out the stub of an old cigar and sticks it in between his teeth to chew on, grins back.

"But, will take what I can get, eh?"
Richard Cunningham
 player, 10 posts
Sat 14 Nov 2020
at 11:58
Ch.2 And so it begins.
After satisfying himself that the docks contained no more surprises, Cunnigham jumped down onto the deck of the boat just in time to see McCaffrey go be lwo deck. Sauntering over to the hatch, he gives a shout down:

"Hey McCaffrey, whats it looking like down there? And more importantly, do they have anything even remotely decent to drink??"

Be the first time in a while he had been out on a riverboat, but at least it was back on water! It had been too long, so looking to this.
Jerome McCaffrey
 player, 35 posts
Sat 14 Nov 2020
at 12:15
Ch.2 And so it begins.
Jerome was more interested in checking the bilges than the drinks cabinet.

"Needs a good tidy up, Cunningham, but I'll see what there is to drink in a moment."

He started rooting through cupboards to see what was there.
GM
 GM, 128 posts
Sat 6 Nov 2021
at 03:34
Ch.2 And so it begins.

06:00 11th October, 2000
Concrete Factory, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Still, -05oC





You converge back onto the boat shed and dock, a quick equipment and weapon check and you are ready to clear the last part of the compound. This is where you suspect the living quarters are as this is where the container offices and the like are situated and where you observed the smoke from the stove.

You take you time moving up the road that leads to the offices as you now do not have darkness to mask your approach. The road has a gravel layer and is quite well maintained, potholes seemed to have been filled and with only foot traffic the wear and tear is at a minimum.

The first thing you can see as you approach is a line of eight trucks, all on their rims and with concrete mixes on the back. There is also a tanker truck which would have been used for spraying water, apart from the lack of air in the tyres they look to be in very good condition given they have sat here for a few years now. Next to come into view are the two storied container offices, each with a steel set of stairs and metal landing. You observe no signs of any of the bandits apart from a body lying in the centre of the gravel compound, several used field dressing packets are slowly being blown away from the causality. He has a AKM across his chest and sitting next to him is a strange looking M1919 with a stock and trigger mechanism. As you approach you can see that he is very dead his eyes open and staring at the sky having bleed out as his fellow bandits struggled to save him.

The buildings are cleared and other then two woman who seemed to have been cooking for the bandits no one else is located. At this point you use your radio to give the all clear to the other close militia units. It would seem that anyone left has beat a hasty retreat....

There is very little in the way of useful items in the accommodation blocks, just the usual improvised equipment and general accumulation of stuff, bedding etc.... The woman bring out some hot soap and and handout cups to you. The Captain and Mr Singh appear as well having heard no more fighting, they gladly accept some food as well.

As you stand and sit eating you food as the adrenalin wears off from the fight a call comes across the team comms net that the Mayor will be arriving soon. On cue a BTR and black Mercedes SUV was well as another APC arrive along the road that leads up to the main highway. The mayor and the intelligence officer step out as two squads of soldiers disgorge from the APC's. They don't wander far from the vehicles as the Mayor and the officer cross the compound to your sitting area. As they walk the Mayor points towards the trucks and is rather excited about them.

“Well done my friends, well done. You have your prize yes...?” “Well that is good and I will be glad of a tour. You caused quite the disruption both of the remaining bunkers have been cleared, one was empty, but the other was not. That being said they were outside when the patrol rolled up so were quite unprepared. The Southern blocking force also took a group of men, four I believe. They will be bringing them in now."

"And so you will be ready to make the preparations to leave. I see these trucks which you cannot use as they are configured wrong, in exchange for them I am willing to provide some credit for weapons with market traders, a Ural truck, driver and interpreter for your use while you are still here, a months worth of rations and lastly the Major has indicated you have a barge which I will fill with quality coal for your ship... The trucks we will configure and exchange with Russians for their armour and heavy weapons, up until this point we did not know what transport we could offer them, so this works out well for everyone.”


Thinking there is no time like the present you escort the Mayor and the intel officer to the boat dock accompanied by the Captain. It is at this point you get a better idea of what the bandits had been planning. With strong morning light you can see the MT-LBM (6MB4) APC armed with twin GSh-30K 30mm auto-cannons, a  AGS-30 30mm grenade launcher and PKT 7.62mm machine gun in a single turret. One of the 30mm cannons has been removed and is partially disassembled on a table in the workshop. The APC is missing its engine and several of the road wheels have been hit by an auto-cannon of some kinds. Some complete tracks are sitting outside the workshop, but the running gear would have to be repaired and/or replaced for them to be fitted. Closer inspection reveals the chassis on the APC is bolted to the deck of the paddle boat through some large railway sleepers.

There are piles of these railways sleepers and track around the workshop as well as hundreds of empty sandbags so the task of armouring the tug is made somewhat easier.

Looking at the piles of empty sand bags the Mayor turns "We can give you some labours to fill these and anything else. You feed them and house them and they are yours to do with what you please until you leave..."



-
James Kirkwood
 player, 44 posts
 Sergeant
 Royal Marines
Sun 14 Nov 2021
at 10:50
Ch.2 And so it begins.

It had been a long night and being under fire always felt taxing in the aftermath. Quietly glad that they had eliminated the enemy and captured the objective James was enjoying the hot meal and some quiet when the Mayors group arrived.

Listening to the Mayors comments James was happy to hear that they would get some weapon credits with the traders and workers to assist with setting up the boat with protection. They could also potentially trade some of the weapons they had captured for others more suitable.

His early look over the boat had indicated that the APC at the rear would give them some good firepower if it worked well and they could get some more ammo but they would need something at the front and sides like heavy or squad MGs and maybe an RPG or two. While walking the boat with the Mayors team James shares his thoughts with his colleagues.

As they exit the boat James turns to the intel officer and asks if he could grab five minutes and get any details of potential opposition or known problems on the river in the direction they are planning to travel.
Jerome McCaffrey
 player, 41 posts
Sun 14 Nov 2021
at 14:49
Ch.2 And so it begins.
Jerome spent most of the time checking out the engines, but found time to check the kitchen supplies as well. If there was time, he'd prowl the local market to see what was of interest to enliven the menu.
Elias McIntyre
 player, 75 posts
 SGT USA
Wed 17 Nov 2021
at 15:53
Ch.2 And so it begins.
Elias will be loading and checking supplies & ammo, as well as checking on the piloting and crewing of the small boat and any launches.

He is very attentive to any grenade launchers, especially.