Ch.2 And so it begins.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
GM
 GM, 52 posts
Wed 24 Jun 2020
at 05:26
Ch.2 And so it begins.

1400hrs, 10th October, 2000
Hospital - Cyril and Methodius, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Light Rain, 07oC



So the meeting raps up and the Colonial assures you he will be at your jumping off point that he confirms will be near the old hospital. You finish your drinks and then remount the truck for the ride back to the castle, which is uneventful. A light rain has begun to fall as your work to stow your gear and prepare for the upcoming OP. You will be back for the majority of your stuff once the current mission is over so goodbyes to the men and woman you have been training can wait.


That being said the majority of the defenders of the castle turn out to wave you off as you leave in the truck. You drive back down the highway and past the turn off you took to go up to the castle another 500 meters and the last bridge in the city capable of taking vehicles loams in front of you. A quick word to the guards stationed in front and you are waved across. An odd design you can clearly see the observation deck that towers above the bridge. You know there is an anti-tank gun stationed up there, dismantled and carried by hand up all those stairs.


Another stop and you are again ushered through as the driver takes the large four lane highway straight to the rear of the ruined hospital. You drive through a desolate landscape of destroyed soviet housing blocks, the city south of the river was primarily newer residential areas and so was only deemed necessary to be cleared in the last month or so. As you approach you can see a makeshift aid station and a couple of squads of soldiers around three APC's.


You stop and the driver indicates this is it. While you are unloading the Colonial arrives with several other soldiers. ”This way gentlemen.” he users you into a couple of container offices of the type used on construction sites. There are a few chairs, a lantern and a table with the same map the mayor had. ”So as you can see the cement factory is a couple of blocks to the West, my scouts report nothing out of the ordinary, but they have stayed back so as to not “give the game away”, yes.” The rain has continued and now you can hear it on the metal roof, not enough to jeopardise anything and it may play in your favour.

-
Serzhant Pavel Gregoravich Valenkov
 player, 25 posts
Thu 25 Jun 2020
at 04:25
Ch.2 And so it begins.
Pavel draws on yet another cigarette. He realises he's almost out and is not looking forward to the withdrawals.

"Well, you are the locals, what can you tell us about these bunkers? How big are they? How thick are they? What is their field of fire? How many firing ports do they have?"

He glances out the window and while waiting for an answer he removes his barvikha cap and puts on his aramid helmet, doing up the chinstrap.

"I guess we'd better get up into the hospital and check out the lay of the land."
James Kirkwood
 player, 8 posts
 Sergeant
 Royal Marines
Fri 26 Jun 2020
at 02:48
Ch.2 And so it begins.
James leans over the desk and taps the map showing the one bunker on the north side "Potentially this looks like the best approach if we can get close enough to take it out" he says with a grin indicating the LAW he was carrying and has lent against the table.

"If we go for either of the southern ones we risk cross fire from the other if there is no obstructing terrain or buildings. But it would be good if we could get some fire on them to keep them focused away from the main attack."he stops and looks at the Colonel and the team.

"Agree with Pavel, lets get up on the roof of the hospital and see if we can scope this out"

He reaches over and picks his rifle, throwing the sling over his neck and shoulder, letting the L85 rest across his chest and then picks up the LAW. With his pack back at the base he is only carrying his assault load plus the LAW in case it was required.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:48, Fri 26 June 2020.

Yuri Razin
 player, 11 posts
 Don Cossack
Fri 26 Jun 2020
at 06:48
Ch.2 And so it begins.
Yuri shakes his head "Let Natasha and I deal with Bunker comrade, I have three shots you only one, better for later, Da?" he says to Kirkwood as he adjust his gear.

OOC: You will all know Yuri is referring to his RPG
Snezhanna Lee
 player, 2 posts
Fri 26 Jun 2020
at 09:35
Ch.2 And so it begins.
As the group rode together toward the objective, Hanna gave a briefing about her medical SOPs, "I'm sorry if y'all know this and I'm teaching my Grandma to suck eggs," she began, "but I've seen Ops go to shit because people assumed everyone knew what they were doing and I've lost people because I had to go hunting for their special hidey-hole for their Aid gear."

"If you have a first aid kit, I'd appreciate if you place it on your left shoulder strap. If you have a vest, as close to there as you can. If you get hit, that's where I'll look for your kit. If it's not there I'll use my own supplies but if you have them and I use mine instead, some poor soul could die because I've run out later."

Her eyes were narrow, she didn't like lecturing a bunch of professionals, but this was her area, "I'm here to deal with the wounded so You all can kill the bad guys and stop the bullets coming. If someone goes down, leave them and let me know. I will get to them and I will deal with the casualty. You'll help your buddies more by ending the firefight than stopping to treat someone."

She looked out of the rear for a moment, "I've seen attacks fizzle out because too many people stopped to help. Kill the fuckers and end the shit storm. Do that and you'll help me keep any wounded alive."

"Now," she sighed, "I ain't no military genius, but it seems to me that if we can get to the boats, the enemy will have to come to us rather than hunker in their bunker. Maybe we should look at if we can avoid the bunkers and get to the boat first. If that ain't possible, the north bunker look isolated but I've found that taking out prepared positions can be hell."
Jerome McCaffrey
 player, 15 posts
Fri 26 Jun 2020
at 13:40
Ch.2 And so it begins.
Jerome grinned.

"Medics are always appreciated and worth their weight in gold, Hanna."

He checked himself to see that his first-aid kit was in the correct location, no matter that he knew it was.
Elias McIntyre
 player, 34 posts
 SGT USA
Mon 29 Jun 2020
at 23:36
Ch.2 And so it begins.
"I can rain grenades from afar, operate a boot.. possibly help assault.. not really me ken, but can.  Popping a wee grenade in a bunker is always a party it be."

He points to the inlet by the boat.

"But our target is boot, yeh?  So maybe make a distraction say.. hea."  He points at the bunker farthest south and east.  "An, while they be worryin they heads bout that, we nick us a boot, eh?"
GM
 GM, 59 posts
Thu 2 Jul 2020
at 04:32
Ch.2 And so it begins.

The Colonel nods at the suggestion of using the hospital roof as an observation point, he opens the door and speaks to one of the guards who then runs off. A couple of minutes later a militia woman arrives to take you up. You follow her as she takes you across the four lane highway that is heavily rutted from numerous tracked vehicles using it over the years and then she enters what you suspect were the main doors to the hospital. Down corridors and up stairs you pass several squads who look  to be billeted in the building before you come to a quite narrow stair that leads to the roof.

Before she lets you walk out the militia woman indicates that anything covered by a tarp or wood is open to the floor below, she gives a rather animated show of what will happen if you fall through. Its quite easy to navigate across to the edge of the roof where you can see some of the bandit camp.

A large structure covered with rust was at some point used for moving raw materials and finished product around the site using coveter belts that spread out like a spiders legs. It is slightly higher then the hospital roof but you can see sand bags on the top of the structure though currently it looks to be unmanned and no weapons can be seen. Slightly to the west are a double story set of container offices, again no one is observed but a thin chimney pipe seems to be in use. The same set of offices that are to the South cannot be seen as the trees between them and the highway obscure them. Also the river and the dock with the boat are also hidden by tall trees between the cement factory and the river.


-
Serzhant Pavel Gregoravich Valenkov
 player, 28 posts
Fri 3 Jul 2020
at 09:57
Ch.2 And so it begins.
Pavel winces as his knees twinge as he climbs the stairs. "Thirty three years old and already I'm an old man" he bitches, toiling up the flights. He notes curiously the bullet holes pocking the walls and surmises this building must have been the scene of heavy fighting.
Up on the roof he stays well back from observation and slings the battered AKMS and unslings the SVD, just in case.

"I'm not too keen to tip our hand, let's do this in ones and twos rather than stare down like a pack of tourists. If we skyline ourselves some clever grabitel might send an RPG round up at nosey people"

He stays well back among the shadows rather than move up to the edge and only shows his head. Setting down the long rifle he takes out his treasured binoculars, a set of 7x50 BNBI 30M3 marine binoculars and the very best optics available in the USSR and probably one of the few optics that equals those found in Germany. Making sure he doesn't reflect light from the lenses he carefully scans the target by sections and reports back so everyone can see what he notes as he does so.
GM
 GM, 62 posts
Sun 5 Jul 2020
at 21:55
Ch.2 And so it begins.

1530hrs, 10th October, 2000
Hospital roof - Cyril and Methodius, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Light Rain, 05oC



You spend a good hour watching the bandit camp while trying to remain hidden. There is very little going on, in that time you see no indications other then the smoke you observed earlier. It does pulse becoming stronger for a time as wood or coal is added every half and hour or so, so someone is minding the fire in the container accommodation. You also hear the faint sounds of someone working with metal, though this could be coming form across the river or even either side of the bandit camp.

Another point you pick up is that there are no new vehicle tracks across the hard packed standing, nothing and that is with several trucks sitting on their rims parked around the site. It would seem that the bandits do not have any vehicles.

Just as you are about to give up you hear a door opening and several boots walking down a steel stair. It would seem that people are coming out of the series of container offices closest to the road that you cannot see due to the height of the trees that are growing in front of the structures. It only takes a few seconds for the three figures to be seen walking across the yard towards the an access road to the river.

Two are dressed as you would expect in heavy PACT camouflage clothing with jackets over their webbing and AK pattern assault rifles slung on their backs. They are not wearing helmets, but wool watch caps. The third figure is dressed completely in black, his helmet hanging from his belt and another AK on one shoulder. This rifle has an under barrel grenade launcher attached or something similar and has black synthetic furniture as opposed to the wooden type the other two bandits have. You can also see the stubby aerial of a personal radio poking out of the man's jacket. It is hard to see if any of them are wearing body armour due to the bulk of their clothing.

The man in black is quite animated as he speaks to the other two bandits, trying to make some point before giving up and walking slightly behind the other two. They are quickly swallowed up by the trees on either side of the road as they enter the access to the river and probably to the boat dock.



-
Tom Ryan
 player, 5 posts
 Daring Reporter
 And where's Home?
Mon 6 Jul 2020
at 08:28
Ch.2 And so it begins.
Tom kept low on the hospital roof, keeping out of sight but taking detailed notes of the conversations and actions of others. He made sure the notes were sanitised and contained no names or details of plans. This would be the authentic flavour for his great novel, not a treasure trove for some intelligence officer.

He looked at the troopers around, "Should we meet downstairs to discuss plans?"

Coming from a British culture, he'd been quite surprised by the lack of hierarchy within the unit. However, he'd come to appreciate the Soldier's Conferences where the group came up with their objectives and plans. The scope for drama in his new oddessy during these scenes was off the charts.
Jerome McCaffrey
 player, 17 posts
Mon 6 Jul 2020
at 11:29
Ch.2 And so it begins.
"Sounds like an idea."

Jerome, who had been watching quite closely whilst appearing to be half-asleep, shuffled back out of sight before getting up to stretch enormously.

"Wonder if we can scare up a coffee and maybe a snack?"
Elias McIntyre
 player, 36 posts
 SGT USA
Mon 6 Jul 2020
at 16:42
Ch.2 And so it begins.
"Not the best intel I been seen evah.  We probably need to spend a wee time to observe, or we be having the meetin' aftah with lot less bodies, eh?"
Serzhant Pavel Gregoravich Valenkov
 player, 30 posts
Tue 7 Jul 2020
at 03:03
Ch.2 And so it begins.
Pavel nods to Elias' comment.

"Da, is so. We know where they are roughly but almost nothing else. We don't even know approximately how many there are. I am new here so I know nothing of these bunkers or how they are sited and what fronts they cover."

He goes through the rigmarole of swapping his SVD over for his AKMS, looking out as he does so and thinking.

"I think we must do as we originally planned back at meeting; actually go and look. If we are to plan attack rather than wander in and just shoot everything then we should send in a scout team. There doesn't seem to be a time, umm, what is word? "Constraint". There doesn't seem to be a time constraint."

"Everyone here is skilled and reliable. My thoughts are we send in a small recon team and have everyone else as a support team nearby. If Colonel will give us support fires then we prearrange that. We have a primary radio frequency and two alternates. We set up two rendezvous points, primary and alternate, so if things go all oblazhalsya and we need to link up."

"Now, for team components."
"Tovaritsche Hall has his M-249 as a support weapon, you tovaristche McIntyre have your grenade launcher and tovaritsche Razin has Natasha, his RPG. Hall would be best to suppress an enemy in the flank, he might be in the support team that follows up the recon team and manouevres against them while the recon team fix them in place if they get bounced. You McIntyre could be in either team. Razin would be for blowing in the bunkers or hitting any support vehicles although recon so far indicates they don't often use any, that would probably put him in the support team."


Pavel pauses to bum a smoke of someone and after lighting it carefully, inhales deeply.

"The rest of us could be anywhere although tovaritsche Kirkwood and his silenced weapon would reasonably assumed to be in the recon team. I don't think there'll be enough open ground for my Dragunov to be a deciding factor here."

"Now, before we start. What should be our line of advance? How do we manouevre? Do we recon every little hidey-hole the banditniks have or should we just go in, organise an assault on the boat and get out? It might not be mobile or easily moved, they might disable it or anything else."

James Kirkwood
 player, 9 posts
 Sergeant
 Royal Marines
Wed 8 Jul 2020
at 12:19
Ch.2 And so it begins.
Crouched low on the roof with the rest of the team James had been intently scanning the surrounds to see if there were any potential assault routes that stood out.

Once they have observed the men he drops back away from the edge so they can huddle up and discuss.

James nods as he listens to Pavel lay out the basis of a plan. It sounds good to him and he is more than ready to move on the bandits base.

"Happy to be part of the recon team but two issues..." He pauses and grimaces "I left my MP5 back at base with the rest of my gear." He pats his L85 with Grenade Launcher hanging from its sling "unfortunately I thought this would have been a better option"

"Also I am not the best at sneaking around" looking around at the team "but still good to be part of the recon team if that works best"

Moving over to the map he indicates the north bunker. "I still feel this is the best option for us. If we can get close enough to see if its occupied firstly and the work out the best way to engage, eliminate or ignore it."

He finishes talking and leans back to see what the rest have to add.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:20, Wed 08 July 2020.

Elias McIntyre
 player, 37 posts
 SGT USA
Wed 8 Jul 2020
at 14:49
Ch.2 And so it begins.
"Fella I fell ya.  I ain't got me full kit either, an' stealthy is exactly the last thing I be.  Heavy weapons, explosives, I do that.  Lead.. no, not so good.  Support with much boom, yes."
James Kirkwood
 player, 11 posts
 Sergeant
 Royal Marines
Mon 13 Jul 2020
at 03:10
Ch.2 And so it begins.

James looks around at the team after Elias speaks.

"Ok looks like it might be best if we all sort of stick together and move as one group with maybe a couple up front and the heavier weapons following a short distance behind but in position to provide support"

He pauses to see if anyone else has any thoughts or questions.

"Should we move to a position where we can get eyes on the northern bunker? We need to see if its occupied or if it can be potentially avoided if it doesnt have all round firing ports"

Leaning back he waits to see what the team wants to do.
Serzhant Pavel Gregoravich Valenkov
 player, 33 posts
Mon 13 Jul 2020
at 08:21
Ch.2 And so it begins.
Pavel inhales deeply and blows smoke to the ceiling again. Shifting his weight he adds to Kirkwood's comments "the only problem I have with the northern bunker is that it's on the other side of the road and it has a clear line of sight, or at least any sentries will, up and down that road."

He points off towards the river. "However if we cross the road directly east of here we can pass the southern bunkers by the north and head towards the river and then head straight north until we hit the boat. That way we stay in the trees the whole way, the ground is uneven and appears to give good cover."

"Our big problem is going to be when we get to the cleared area under the power transmission lines. A sentry in either tower or even stationed on the open area will see us cross. We'll have to patrol carefully to check them out and probably a night attack will minimise discover."


He point towards the river again. "There seems to be a clearer area right near the river, once again we'll have to cross that and risk discovery. It looks to be long and straight with good sight-lines but I can't really tell from here to be honest."
Elias McIntyre
 player, 39 posts
 SGT USA
Wed 15 Jul 2020
at 13:17
Ch.2 And so it begins.
"I say we reserve the right to abort and regroup at any time, though if we make contact we may no want to do so after alertin' em.  Just if we see a wee big issue, we take time to ken it afore we move."
GM
 GM, 69 posts
Fri 24 Jul 2020
at 10:26
Ch.2 And so it begins.

1247hrs, 11th October, 2000
Forest, South East of the Concrete Factory, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Still, -05oC



During the afternoon as you wait out the time of the “off” the rain subsides and in the early evening the wind dies down as well. You are relatively protected inside the hospital from the worse of it, though it does get rather cold. Several of you take the opportunity to get some sleep while you have the chance as it is likely to be a very long night.

As your form up to the side of the hospital building you can see your breath in the night air. It is below freezing and as you walk the grass and concrete under you boots cracks as the rain from the afternoon has frozen and a frost has appeared as well. You make your final perpetrations quickly so as to minimise the moments were you are standing still. When everyone is prepared the recce team move out and across the four lane highway and into the foliage on the other side, several of you hold your breath, but there is no sign that anyone is spotted, soon the rest of you prepare to make the same run.

Once on the other side of the road you again form up as Valenkov states that he may have seen a figure walking down the highway, potentially away from the group and so unlikely to have spotted you. The trail left by the recce team is pretty easy to follow, their foot prints in the frost showing up quite well in your nigh vision. It feels like the movement through the forest is taking hours, but it is only a matter of minutes and soon you are at the first major obstacle. The road you must cross was probably not a major route even before the war but now it is cracked all over and has a covering of grass and leaves. It does lead to one of the bunkers you were warned about and with that said you can see a more worn trail through the detritus across it surface.

As you wait against one of the traffic guard rails a quick check of both directions takes place before everyone crosses and again it seems that your movement has gone unnoticed. The next cut through the forest takes a bit longer as you have to navigate around several small ponds and thick mud soon you are approaching the first rendezvous point were both elements will met up. It goes according to plan and you are now both hunkered down on the edge of the wide strip of land that was used for tall transmission towers before the war.

The ground is still devoid of trees but the grass has grown to waist height and several small bushes now dot the space as well. You spend several minutes watching and listening to make sure that no one is present and to the best of your knowledge you have the place to yourself. With that the recce team cross first and set up to cover the others on the opposite side of the cut. Then the rest begin to cross and it is not until you are nearly all across that the first sign that something is not right is felt. A whistle is heard coming from down the cut close to the point where the road you crossed earlier crosses the strip. The whistle continues and then a flare is fired from the location of the road, it arches up into the night sky before slowly dropping it red glow looking very bright in your NVG's.

Hall is the closest to the other side, Lee is in the middle of the strip and Valenkov is on the other side having not yet started to cross. In the still night air you think you may hear shouts coming from the old concrete factory or perhaps from the area where the flare came from.



-

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:28, Fri 24 July 2020.

James Kirkwood
 player, 12 posts
 Sergeant
 Royal Marines
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 02:58
Ch.2 And so it begins.
James felt like his senses were on high alert, every crunch of his boots on the ground sounded too loud and with the cold his breath was easily visible even as he tried to breath slowly to minimise. He kept his eyes constantly moving watching for movement in the shadows as the group moved.

Crouching to keep his silhouette low James crossed the ground and once he reached the cover on the other side he found a good spot of concealment and then turned to provide over watch as the other team started to cross. James settled his rifle into his shoulder and started scanning the surrounds.

"Shit" he thought when the whistle sounded.

"Oh double fuck" he said under his breath when the flare went up.

"I will cover the back trail" James says quickly to the people with him "Set up to cover any contact coming from the concrete factory". With a quick flick he releases the safety on his rifle and sets it to burst fire getting ready to engage.

He motions to Lee to quickly continue across into the cover on this side.

James Kirkwood
Ready to Engage
L85/GL (30/30) (1 40mmHE)

This message was last edited by the player at 02:58, Tue 28 July 2020.