Into the Vast.   Posted by StarMaster.Group: 0
Revonoss
 player, 105 posts
 Spacefarer Mechanic
 Korasha Lashunta
Thu 7 Nov 2019
at 07:05
Re: Into the Vast
"Well that makes you really old and looking quite good for your age. But still means you been around when divine powers wiped all the minds in the universe. So beyond carbon dating one of your bone samples there is no true way to do it. And even that might not give the desired results. We could try something like that though if you like. Not 100% sure that will work but we use it to determine the age on our planet. Just got to check if there is a discrepancy on every planet and then find a median."

He offers with a smile. He doubted it would help her in a significant way but maybe it was like orphans who have the urde to know as much as they can about their parents.
Phelar Morilla
 player, 68 posts
 Human Dream Prophet
 Phrenic Adept/Technomancr
Sat 9 Nov 2019
at 23:11
Re: Into the Vast
"...lets try it." She said with a small nod, starting to calm down as everyone continued to talk to her. "Thanks everyone. Sorry about that!"
Revonoss
 player, 106 posts
 Spacefarer Mechanic
 Korasha Lashunta
Sun 10 Nov 2019
at 06:07
Re: Into the Vast
He smiles comfortingly at her.

"Well i can't say i know how it feels to have forgotten who you ware. But i am certain its disconcerting. Lets finish up here and go to the lab. Its not like there is that much to do beyond that for the moment."
StarMaster
 GM, 83 posts
Sun 17 Nov 2019
at 02:03
Re: Into the Vast
Revonoss and Phelar head to the lab and run the suggested test on Phelar.

After about an hour of prep and retesting and retesting, the result still comes up negative.

There's a lower limit to getting a reading from radiocarbon dating, so the test indicates that she's less than 200 years old... clearly not from before the Gap.

On the other hand, it isn't clear by what process she was in 'stasis', so it's possible that the radiocarbon decay was somehow halted while she 'slept'.



The rest of the trip through The Drift passes uneventfully, though there were a few glimpses of other dimensions that had gotten sucked into The Drift. Dancing fire, flashing lightning, pulsing darkness, collapsing stars, spinning waterspouts, and some colossal mechanism full of turning gears whose function was unclear. The parts moved but the object did not seem to be going anywhere.

Since there did not appear to be any connection to Golarion... no distress signals... and possibly a pursuing Vesk ship... the Captain chose not to investigate or explore any of these phenomena. It was enough for him to note their presence... and continue onward.


About one  hour before the time to exit The Drift arrived, the main engines were throttled back until one minute before, and then they were cut out for the exit.

And then you were out of The Drift and back into normal space. Sort of. The word 'normal' didn't seem to quite apply.

Sensors said you were in a star system, but that didn't tell you the whole story. It's a binary star system, with 22 planets. And then there are the 'tunnels in the sky'. All the planets appear to be connected to each other through a vast system of tubes. At first, the tubes appear to be rigid, but you then realize that they have to be flexible in order to keep from being pulled apart by the motion of the planets. Even that, though, is mind-boggling.
Revonoss
 player, 107 posts
 Spacefarer Mechanic
 Korasha Lashunta
Sun 17 Nov 2019
at 10:20
Re: Into the Vast
Phelar just looks at the tubes muttering things of pure disbelief for a few long moments and then starts to do a full scan not only to determine what those things where but to see if there where any ships, radio signals or any weapons pointed at them.

"I'd say that would be impossible. But clearly thats not correct. What an unimaginable feat of engineering."
Oraeus Phetumn
 player, 9 posts
 Scholar soldier
 Korasha lashunta
Mon 18 Nov 2019
at 16:46
Re: Into the Vast
"This is intriguing." Oraeus adds standing beside Phelar and the others. "I've never heard of such a thing nor a civilization that could do this." the soldier adjusts his mask and begins mumbling information he's noticed about the system into his com so he can compile it later.
Solsantharis
 Player, 37 posts
 Solarian Spacefarer
Mon 18 Nov 2019
at 17:35
Re: Into the Vast
"No, I've never heard of any species that could or would do this," agreed Sol.

"Didn't someone say this was the home of the Bolida or something like that? Some sort of burrowing species, right? If they couldn't fly to the other planets, then it kind of makes sense that they would create these... what? Tunnels in the sky?"

"Unless they are very long-lived, I wonder how they travel through the tunnels. Magnetic induction, maybe?"

"Considering how long these tunnels are... millions and millions of miles... they must have consumed entire planets to build them."

Zenith
 NPC, 16 posts
 Damaya Ace Pilot Operativ
 Captain
Wed 4 Dec 2019
at 16:25
Re: Into the Vast
"So, Phelar... any idea where in this maze of a mess we should be going?" the Captain asks.

"How about sensors? Are we picking up any signs of life? Any indication that these tunnels are still being used? Is one of these planets maybe the capitol?"

"Also, I think we need to assume that the Vesk ship is still pursuing us, so we should waste too much time deciding where to go."

Revonoss
 player, 110 posts
 Spacefarer Mechanic
 Korasha Lashunta
Wed 4 Dec 2019
at 20:52
Re: Into the Vast
Revonoss disturbed from the pure awe by the captains questions starts to check his screens where he had given the scan commands and was expecting back the results at any moment.

"One moment captain. Expecting results at any moment,"

ooc: computers 19 for the scanning for life signs ect.
Engineering 17. How impossible is this?
Physical science for the rest of the questions.

Dice roller is giving me some hate here.

21:49, Today: Revonoss rolled 19,17,26 using d20+12,d20+12,d20+10.  Computers, Engineering, Physical science.

Phelar Morilla
 player, 69 posts
Thu 5 Dec 2019
at 12:50
Re: Into the Vast

This message was deleted by the player at 12:51, Thu 05 Dec 2019.

Phelar Morilla
 player, 70 posts
 Human Dream Prophet
 Phrenic Adept/Technomancr
Sat 7 Dec 2019
at 08:57
Re: Into the Vast
Phelar walked up to the view-screen, and cocked her head to one side. Then she fell into a familiar trance like when she predicted the Vesk were coming. She would lift her head up as if tracing something. "A pattern familiar." She reaches out, touching the view-screen and by default the computer. "Triune." In a corner of it the star system is overlaid with the same pattern she had spotted in the ceiling of the temple she was found in. "A planet found." Once it was all matched up, she would use what she found to highlight the planet on the view-screen. Then she fell out of her trances, looking back towards the others. "That is where we need to go Captain." The screen then returns to normal, showing what it showed before save for the fact that one planet was readily identified as their destination.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:30, Sun 08 Dec 2019.

StarMaster
 GM, 86 posts
Sun 22 Dec 2019
at 15:51
Re: Into the Vast
The captain seems to accept Phelar's information as a good sign, and sets course for the indicated planet.

It takes awhile to reach it, about 3 days, but nothing else happens during the trip, nothing else shows up on the sensors.

The general belief is that no ship can drop out of The Vast without being detected, as the transition waves are propagated faster than the speed of light. Well, that's one theory. The other is that it's like a bubble that the disruption affects all at once.

That's not to say that the Vesk ship hasn't developed some sort of dampening device. Planets, governments, species and people have been trying to do that for centuries. The biggest drawback is that it's theoretically impossible. Until someone comes up with a workable theory, there's not real avenue to explore.
Solsantharis
 Player, 38 posts
 Solarian Spacefarer
Sun 22 Dec 2019
at 17:17
Re: Into the Vast
"It does not appear as if our ship could fit inside one of these interplanetary tubes even if we could figure out how to enter one," Solsantharis comments.

"I suspect that transit from one planet to another using the tubes is a lot faster than just normal ship travel. While the nature of these creatures is strange, to say the least, I just can't see them spending days crawling through the tubes to reach another planet."

"Then again, perhaps their life cycle is short and one or two generations pass during transit."

"Very strange, indeed."


Once they reach the planet Phelar indicated, he waits for the sensors to tell him what is really there, but visually examines it as they approach.
Zenith
 NPC, 17 posts
 Damaya Ace Pilot Operativ
 Captain
Mon 23 Dec 2019
at 14:50
Re: Into the Vast
Whether his faith in his ship was justified or not, he wasn't quite as worried as he could have been. Into the unknown was one thing; Vesk in pursuit... that was another.

He had no doubts that the Vesk would show up again, that they had the ability to track the Starhawk. Till then, the mission continued.

"Attention all crew!" he announced over the ship's comm. "Prepare to activate the aiudara. We'll see if it can connect to this system."
Revonoss
 player, 113 posts
 Spacefarer Mechanic
 Korasha Lashunta
Tue 24 Dec 2019
at 00:30
Re: Into the Vast
"We want to send out such an energy spike before we get any reaction from who lives here? If there even lives anyone. I mean i still havent picked up much local signals."
StarMaster
 GM, 87 posts
Tue 24 Dec 2019
at 14:42
Re: Into the Vast
There have been no signals detected from the planet ahead, nor from anywhere else in the system. While it does not appear to be a dead world, there are none of the usual signs of life.

When the sensor data and subsequent analysis comes back on the space tunnels, the composition of them registers as organic. Thus, the race that lives (or lived) here just may not be technological in nature.

As the ship hovers over the planet while the aiudara is activated, visual scans of the planet reveal some odd structures that may be cities. If you think of them as organic in nature and made by a burrowing species, then they make a bit more sense.

The oddest feature, though, is THE STRUCTURE. It's definitely the only such building on the planet. And... it looks identical to the building back on the planet you left--some sort of shrine or temple or landmark. You were never quite sure what it was supposed to have been; it may have been all three plus several more.
Phelar Morilla
 player, 71 posts
 Human Dream Prophet
 Phrenic Adept/Technomancr
Tue 24 Dec 2019
at 16:27
Re: Into the Vast
"There." Phelar said as she pointed to the structure in one of the visual scans. She didn't even look at the scan, almost as if she knew it was there.
Revonoss
 player, 114 posts
 Spacefarer Mechanic
 Korasha Lashunta
Wed 25 Dec 2019
at 11:04
Re: Into the Vast
Revonoss was baffled by it all to say the least. He'd love to investigate this place but it looked like that was the work of a life time and they had another mission already. So for now he gave Phelar an appreciative nod.

"Aye i think we should get down there indeed. Captain think we should prepare an away team that spot might give us another hint."

Once the scans are done he joins the team in cargo hold 3 to see how the aiudara operation goes.
Saia
 player, 33 posts
 Korasha Mercenary Solaran
Tue 31 Dec 2019
at 08:06
Re: Into the Vast
Saia shows up on the bridge shortly after the ship wide announcement, dressed in her armor and full kit, everything recently cleaned and polished.  Clearly expecting some kind of emergency that warrants an alert she seems almost disappointed by the display of super science on the screens.
Zenith
 NPC, 18 posts
 Damaya Ace Pilot Operativ
 Captain
Wed 1 Jan 2020
at 16:22
Re: Into the Vast
"Of course, we're sending a team down to check out that temple," the Captain responds to Revonoss.

"It's too much of a coincidence for there to be another one here, since, clearly, these Bolida would never have built it."

"Same team as before, since you have experience with it now. If nothing else, you should be able to spot any discrepancies, but you should also know what to look for."

"I was just assessing the data on this system. Sometimes, you can't see the forest for the trees. In this case, I was just making sure that it was the forest I was seeing. These 'tunnels in the sky' are the strangest thing I've ever seen. And, while it flies in the face of any technology or magic that I'm familiar with, it does seem somehow consistent for the Bolida."

"So, it's like one of those 'connect the dots' children's puzzles. Although I suppose you could also consider it a trail of bread crumbs. Or a treasure hunt, where one clue leads to another."


He then makes the announcement about the away team so that everyone else will meet in the hangar.
Phelar Morilla
 player, 72 posts
 Human Dream Prophet
 Phrenic Adept/Technomancr
Wed 1 Jan 2020
at 20:53
Re: Into the Vast
Phelar looked from the Captain, to those starting off for the away party, then back again. She was not sure if she should go with them or not, since she was found in the last temple, and not technically part of the last party. "...should I go with them Captain?"
Revonoss
 player, 115 posts
 Spacefarer Mechanic
 Korasha Lashunta
Wed 1 Jan 2020
at 20:56
Re: Into the Vast
Revonoss nods seeing wisdom in the capains words and then stops as Phelar isn't coming along and chuckles.

"Child you are the trophy from that first temple. Come lets see is there is family down there."

He then goes to his cabin to get into his exploration gear.
Zenith
 NPC, 19 posts
 Damaya Ace Pilot Operativ
 Captain
Fri 3 Jan 2020
at 16:35
Re: Into the Vast
"Unless you do not wish to be part of the designated 'Away Team'," Captain Zenith replies to Phelar, "you should definitely go with them."
Phelar Morilla
 player, 74 posts
 Human Dream Prophet
 Phrenic Adept/Technomancr
Sat 11 Jan 2020
at 22:24
Re: Into the Vast
"Trophy...?" Was that all she was seen as. It started her thinking. "And I'm older then you, kinda!"

"I will depart immediettely sir." She said to Captain Zenith.
StarMaster
 GM, 90 posts
Sun 19 Jan 2020
at 21:37
Re: Into the Vast
As Revonoss scans the surrounding area, he's a bit surprised that he detects no sign of technology. There are no energy readings, no metals detected. He does, however, pick up a trace of magic, which he is able to refine to show that the planet has ley lines, both overhead and through the ground.

In fact, the temple sits at the convergence of two overhead lines and two ground lines.

He also picks up a network of underground tunnels in the area.

Meanwhile, Phelar notices that there are symbols carved into both the steps and the risers of the step pyramid. She doesn't speak the language, but she recognizes it as Terran.