RolePlay onLine RPoL Logo

, welcome to Rogues Game

07:16, 18th May 2024 (GMT+0)

After the Auction

Posted by The PowersFor group 0
Nyx
player, 3 posts
Fri 8 Mar 2019
at 03:21
  • msg #21

After the Auction

Nyx casually places her hand with the whisper ring next to her mouth "Better her than us and good boy pascal you are getting lots of bacon later! We should get out of here quick! Maybe from a back exit. Valor if you get out before us don't let him get away but keep him alive. I'm going to cosy up to a kitchen boy and see if there is another way out."

Nyx uses Diplomacy on kitchen staff
This message was last edited by the player at 03:37, Fri 08 Mar 2019.
Thymas
player, 3 posts
Fri 8 Mar 2019
at 03:54
  • msg #22

After the Auction

Thymus speaks into the ring "Valor we should try and pincer him in, if their is a back door into bones ally we'll attack him from two sides!" if there is no back door thymus would like to look for a window facing the ally.

OCC: sorry for the late reply i'll set up reminders on my phone so I remember to check :)
The Powers
GM, 22 posts
The Lords of Necessity,
Chance and Death.
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 07:14
  • msg #23

After the Auction

OOC: reminder of the House Rule for concealed weapons.  You can openly carry one dagger in Lankhmar (City Watch guards expect that many people will carry a sheath knife as a tool or for eating).  You can openly carry other weapon(s) up to 1 pound in weight if they look innocent enough or guards don't know what they are (wand, sling, exotic weapons).  You draw an openly carried weapon as a free action combined with a regular move action.  You all carry concealed weapons (for Nyx is easy in haversack and draw is a move action, for others they are concealed using Sleight of Hand rules and you're assumed to have taken 20 because you had plenty of time to prepare).  To draw a concealed weapon takes 1 standard action.  House rule: you can draw a concealed light weapon (dagger, throwing axe, shortsword, hand crossbow, etc) as a free action combined with two move actions or a double move.  For larger weapons it still requires a standard action.

Valor follows the assassin, Grilli, and is still only one round behind thanks to his Tongues ability and a friendly chat with the bouncer.  He can draw a concealed light weapon (shortsword?) while he makes this double move, no one will notice because of the darkness of the street.  He is still carrying a bowl of poisoned stew in the other hand.

Nyx gives the stricken serving girl a passing glance as she leaves the table and heads across the room.  She catches up with a pot boy returning to the kitchen with a tray of mugs.  The boy is smitten by her overwhelming charm and stammers out "There's a door out the b-back, miss, past the loos.  Its n-not locked."  (Number 9 on the map).  He only wishes he could give her a kidney or something.  Looking ahead in that direction, Nyx can see a kitchen girl carrying a bucket of scraps around the corner towards the back door.

Thymas finishes fitting Pascal's first piece of jewellery and scrambles out from behind the table (lose 5' of movement) to follow Nyx, but moving more slowly on his shorter legs.  He knows the layout of the inn fairly well and knows that on the ground floor there are no windows on the Bones Alley side, only the two windows in the bar room.
 These are shuttered on the inside (it would take an action to open one) and barred on the outside (Thymas could squeeze through with a DC30 Escape Artist check, but Pascal could pass through easily).  He notices that another serving girl is moving to help Lovanya, and Braggi the barman (and owner of the Silver Eel) has left the bar and is moving toward the girl too.  OOC: let me know if you would prefer to open the shutters instead of following Nyx to the back door. 

OOC: map for group 0 updated to show where I have interpreted your current position.  Let me know if you would prefer to have moved somewhere else.
This message was last edited by the GM at 02:58, Mon 11 Mar 2019.
Pascal
NPC, 4 posts
Pseudodragon
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 07:21
  • msg #24

After the Auction

Pascal purrs with pride at the compliment from Nyx.  He glances about to try to catch his reflection in a goblet as he rides, hidden on Thymas's shoulders, eager to see how grand he looks wearing his first ever 'shinies'.
Lovanya
NPC, 2 posts
"Lo-vaan-ya"
Serving Girl
Sat 9 Mar 2019
at 07:31
  • msg #25

After the Auction

Lovanya shuffles towards the bar, carrying the tray of poisoned food.  Another serving girl comes from the booths to see what's wrong, and puts an arm around Lovanya to help her.  Thymas catches a few of Lovanya's croaking words as he hurries on.  "... poison! ... ran off ... sods!"
Valor
player, 8 posts
Mon 18 Mar 2019
at 03:34
  • msg #26

After the Auction

I would like to discretely take out my sword while still holding the stew, but keeping the sword concealed within my cloak. I whisper to Nyx and Thymas that im still following him but may  need assistance as soon as possible
Nyx
player, 4 posts
Mon 18 Mar 2019
at 21:59
  • msg #27

After the Auction

Nyx thanks the pot boy with a kiss on the cheek and makes her way towards the back exit. Whispers to Valor "Don't worry ill make sure to slow him down" as she moves she takes her wand of grease out and readies it under her cloak.
Thymas
player, 4 posts
Tue 19 Mar 2019
at 17:06
  • msg #28

After the Auction

Thymus prepares for a fight and grabs (discreetly) a vial of alchemist fire, and whispers "This'll cut him off but i'll save it for a last resort"

OOC: Thymus will follow Nyx to the back door.
The Powers
GM, 25 posts
The Lords of Necessity,
Chance and Death.
Sat 23 Mar 2019
at 10:55
  • msg #29

After the Auction

OOC: by now Thymas and Nyx have pieced together that Valor saw Grilli put poison on their food as Lovanya was bringing the tray to their table.  There was 'salt' spilled on the tray and the rim of two of the bowls.  Thymas was unable to take a sample because he had nothing to put it in and he is not trained in poison use (assassin ability) so he would risk poisoning himself.  The same would apply to Valor if he tries to do anything complex with the poisoned bowl, such as transferring the poison to another container or using sleight of hand to hide the bowl on his person, but simple actions like dropping or throwing the bowl have no risk.

Valor hurries on through the dark streets past a trio of drunken mingols laughing and singing in their native tongue and making complex hand gestures to go with the song.    There are a few other Random people about in the streets.  He reaches the corner to Bones alley and peers around.  His keen elvish eyes can easily see into the gloomy spaces between the pools of light from two lanterns.  On the left is a tenement building, its row of broad pillars support the overhanging upper floors and create a sheltered passageway off the alley.  On the right, past a hand cart and empty barrels is the back door of the inn, and beyond that the kitchen chimney stack and a gateway to a small inn yard.  He can see a pack of six alley Dogs sniffing around; they suddenly look alert as the back door of the inn opens.  There is no sign of Grilli or anyone else in the alley.  [Valor, please make a Spot check.]

Nyx leaves the smitten Potboy gaping at her back "G-g-gosh!" as she moves quickly towards the back door.  The Kitchen girl with the bucket of scraps has just opened the back door.  One of the alley dogs is jumping up at her and she gives it a kick as she readies the bucket to throw into the alley.  "Just wait, you mangy mut!"

Thymas takes a short cut through the crowded bar room, sliding past stools and under table edges (see tumble on dice roller).  No one pays him much notice except one grimy guardsman "Filthy rat-catcher!" and a drunken wench "Ooo look as his little legs!".  Thymas arrives at the back door passage just behind Nyx.  He now has a flask of alchemist's fire ready.

Across the bar room Vobas the bouncer goes outside, while Braggi the bar tender moves to speak with Lovanya.  A young lordling also gets up from a nearby table to speak with them, seemingly concerned for the girl's welfare.

OOC: map for group 0 updated.  The letters indicate who's who (Kitchen girl, Customers, Potboy, Serving girl, Random people in street, Dogs).  North us top of page.  You can all say what you want to do, move and action, and suggest how Pascal can help.
This message was last edited by the GM at 14:58, Sun 24 Mar 2019.
Valor
player, 9 posts
Mon 25 Mar 2019
at 00:17
  • msg #30

After the Auction

I would like to slowly edge around the row of broad pillars support the overhanging upper floors to check if the assassin, readying my sword as I do so, while still attempting to conceal the blade from view from the entrance of the alley. I whisper to Nyx and Thymas what I'm doing.
The Powers
GM, 26 posts
The Lords of Necessity,
Chance and Death.
Mon 25 Mar 2019
at 02:15
  • msg #31

After the Auction

OOC: partial update for this round.  Valor did not see Grilli (spot 15 vs hide 28).  You are all aware that Grilli is there, somewhere, so he cannot surprise you, ie. he can't sneak-attack you because you won't be caught flat-footed or lose your Dex bonus to AC.  Nyx and Thymas can also make Spot rolls if they look into Bones Alley.  Valor's Spot check did, however, recognise the lone Random person standing across the street watching you (map coordinate f16) - it is Sivilan the magician of the Eastern Empire who was at the auction.  He is not disguised, just hooded to shadow his face, which is no hindrance to low light vision.  When Valor recognises him, Sivilan looks surprised, as he does not recognise Valor.  After a moment he raises a thin finger to his lips then points past Valor towards the barrels.

In this RPoL version of our game, we don't roll for initiative, instead the party always have higher initiative than the enemies, so the party acts first then I write the enemies actions in the end-of-round summary.  You can use the Ready action, e.g. if this happens then I do that.  (Eg. if Grilli attacks me then I attack him with my sword).  In these cases the GM will roll dice on behalf of the PC, or you can preemptively roll dice that may get used if the Ready action happens.  A Ready action is not an extra action, you can have a move and an action in a round.  If you've already written an action (eg. Drink a potion) then you can't also make a Ready action in that round.

If you post again before the end-of-round summary, you can change your action.  I will use the last action written. This is how it works in other online games where i am a player.  I am rapidly discovering how different it is to GM an online game!  :-0

You can move through friendly characters (PCs and allied NPCs are white) and neutral characters (green NPCs) without any movement penalty.  Hostile NPCs will be red.  The green NPCs may become hostile depending on their reaction to you.

The map has coordinates on the edges that you can use if you want to specify exactly where you move to.  Otherwise i will interpret from what you write.

Valor did you intend to stay on Plague Court, or move along Bones Alley, or move somewhere else now that you've noticed Sivilan?  I'll update the map with street names.

I will post Grilli's action after you have all posted your actions for the round.
This message was last edited by the GM at 09:07, Fri 29 Mar 2019.
Pascal
NPC, 5 posts
Pseudodragon
Tue 2 Apr 2019
at 12:11
  • msg #32

After the Auction

Pascal overhears Valor's whispered message, and he decides to scan the area of Bones Alley for readable minds.  His sharp little claws dig into Thymas' shoulder in alarm as he relays his thoughts to Nyx, Thymas and Valor.   

OOC: Nyx and Thymas are still to act this round.  Valor can still take an action and change his move if desired.  I will conclude the round on Sat evening.
This message was last edited by the player at 14:55, Tue 02 Apr 2019.
The Powers
GM, 28 posts
The Lords of Necessity,
Chance and Death.
Sat 6 Apr 2019
at 14:30
  • msg #33

After the Auction

Pascal's news throws the Party's plans into disarray.  After having moved so quickly around and through the bar room, they now proceed with caution.

Valor stays where he is, trying to watch Bones Alley and Sivilan at the same time, and also noticing that Vobas the bouncer has come around the corner from Dim Lane and is looking his way.

Nyx and Thymas watch the Kitchen girl throw the scraps to the dogs.  She heads back towards the kitchen as they move cautiously to the back door to Bones Alley and peer out into the night.  The cobbled alley is two steps down, so from this vantage point they can both see over the barrels to where Valor stands at the corner.  The six dogs are making a din, fighting over the scraps, but no one else can be seen until Sivilan steps up next to Valor.

OOC: map for Group 0 updated.  All three of you are entitled to an action (if you wish) from the previous round, as well as a move and action for the new round ahead.  All three please make a Spot check now that you know the locations of hidden people from Pascal.  You can nominate one person for Pascal to read their thoughts.
Sivilan
NPC, 1 post
Master Magician
Flames of the East
Sat 6 Apr 2019
at 14:57
  • msg #34

After the Auction

Sivilan, the master magician of the Eastern Empire who was at the auction, walks across Plague Court and stands next to Valor in the entrance to Bones Alley.  He is 5' 9" tall, wearing a black, hooded robe.  He is slightly overweight, with small delicate hands, straight black hair tied back under his hood and dark brown oriental eyes.  He ignores Valor for a moment as he raises his hands towards Bones Alley, speaks a magic word and waves four small red tongues of fire into the air to float at second storey height above the alley.  He chants out a stern-sounding monologue in the language of the East.

Turning calmly away from Bones Alley, Sivilan faces Valor, looking at him closely and asking in perfect Common tongue, "Have we met?"  Clearly he does not recognize Valor.

22:52, Today: The Powers, on behalf of Sivilan, rolled 16 using 1d20+4.  Spot Sgt Marvin disguise from auction DC18.
Valor
player, 10 posts
Mon 15 Apr 2019
at 22:37
  • msg #35

After the Auction

I whisper ring to the other two:"i will wait for you both to arrive before considering heading down bones alley. I think i may be more prudent to leave. An all out fight will draw too much attention from the city guards."

I also toss the bouncer the coins that i owed him, plus an extra two for his trust.
I speak to silvan: I do not think we have met before, I think i would remember someone of your... abilities'
The Powers
GM, 29 posts
The Lords of Necessity,
Chance and Death.
Tue 16 Apr 2019
at 15:49
  • msg #36

After the Auction

The Party's caution is paying off; clearly there is far more afoot than just the poisoning attempt.  Six rounds pass while Valor draws out information through conversation with unexpected visitors, and Nyx and Thymas work with Pascal to reveal the motives of the people hidden in the alley.  Together they peel back the layers of confusion.   Through whispered and telepathic conversations they gradually work out what the hell's going on!  :-)

Vobas prowls along Plague Court, glaring at the drunken Mingols and peering into alleys, then stops beside Valor and casually looks Sivilan up and down before ignoring him.  "Is good you pay.  Later you dead maybe!"  He chuckles at his little joke.  "You live, you pay too Lovanya.  Also you wash bloods from inn.  Bucket and waters you have in yard," he points towards the inn yard along Bones Alley on the right, "and hole for bodies where no one find.  No guard walks Bones Alley." He slaps Valor on the back and returns the way he came (conveniently ending up at the same position so I don't have to update the map).

The dogs snarl and yelp as they fight over the scraps, making it difficult to hear any other sounds in the alley.
This message was last edited by the GM at 23:27, Wed 17 Apr 2019.
Pascal
NPC, 6 posts
Pseudodragon
Tue 16 Apr 2019
at 15:53
  • msg #37

After the Auction

Pascal cranes his scaly neck to peer out of the doorway as he reaches out with his senses to read the minds of Sivilan and the Unknown people hidden along the alley, and relay his findings to the Party.

Sivilan is flattered by Valor's compliment although he does not show it.  His thoughts are not in the Common tongue so Pascal does not understand them.  He seems calm.

The two Unknowns hiding in the alley (u8 and x11) know each other well, they're making faces at each other across the alley.  They have the same thoughts.  They're eager to fight but wondering what's the hold up.  If this Valor kills Grilli then we'll kill him, and Bash will have to pay us Grilli's fee!  He already owes us 30 gold rilks each.  If Bash doesn't pay up this time we'll kill him too!

The Unknown in the ground-floor doorway (p9) is dumb.  He doesn't know what's going on, but he won't let anyone in, that's his job, and paid up front for a change, so drinks again tonight.  Oh look, there's little Thymas and that Nyx girl across the alley!  Wonder if they're part of the plan?  Do I have to buy them another drink?  I don't get told nothin'.

The Unknown on the roof above the kitchen (s13) has a still, disciplined mind.  She thinks in a foreign tongue like Sivilan, but there is one word he recognises that she is focussed on - Basharat!  She is like a coiled spring, ready.

The Unknown at the first floor window (o11) is nervous and filled with hatred.  Why's that reeking magician here?  What's he saying?  Bloody dogs!  What're you waiting for Grilli, I paid you, kill him now!  Cut his pointy ears off!  Those two?!  Kill them all!  Bastards won't get paid!  I'll get them.  I'll get them all...
Sivilan
NPC, 2 posts
Master Magician
Flames of the East
Tue 16 Apr 2019
at 15:55
  • msg #38

After the Auction

Sivilan does indeed smell rather pleasantly of incense, his hair being oiled and perfumed with eastern spices.  He waits impassively while Vobas comes and goes, watching the alley which seems empty of all save snarling dogs.  He watches Valor curiously as he speaks into his hand, but is unable to hear the whispered words.  When Valor speaks to him he inclines his head in a polite bow as he replies "I am Sivilan, master magician of the Eastern Empire.  Perhaps it is not coincidence that our paths should cross this night.  My enemy hides in that house," he looks towards the building with the pillared walkway, "and yours crouches behind that cart.  Your enemy is an accomplice of mine, my spy saw them plotting together earlier today.  The enemy of my enemy is my ally.  Blood shall be spilled this night, and the victors feast together.  What say you, ally, shall we begin with the enemy less hidden?"

Sivilan speaks a brief incantation and a burst of bright light flashes momentarily behind the cart, starkly illuminating Grilli the assassin for a second and leaving him blinking and dazzled (-1 penalty on attack rolls, Search checks, and Spot checks for 10 rounds).
23:44, Today: The Powers, for the NPC Grilli, rolled 11 using 1d20+3.  Fort save vs Flare DC14.
This message was last edited by the player at 22:34, Tue 16 Apr 2019.
The Powers
GM, 30 posts
The Lords of Necessity,
Chance and Death.
Sat 28 Dec 2019
at 14:07
  • msg #39

After the Auction

Place holder...
The Powers
GM, 31 posts
The Lords of Necessity,
Chance and Death.
Sun 27 Sep 2020
at 23:33
  • msg #40

After the Auction

Place holder
The Powers
GM, 32 posts
The Lords of Necessity,
Chance and Death.
Wed 19 May 2021
at 12:53
  • msg #41

After the Auction

Place holder
The Powers
GM, 33 posts
The Lords of Necessity,
Chance and Death.
Mon 7 Mar 2022
at 03:16
  • msg #42

After the Auction

Place holder
The Powers
GM, 34 posts
The Lords of Necessity,
Chance and Death.
Thu 22 Sep 2022
at 13:37
  • msg #43

After the Auction

Place holder
The Powers
GM, 35 posts
The Lords of Necessity,
Chance and Death.
Sun 4 Jun 2023
at 23:49
  • msg #44

After the Auction

Place holder
The Powers
GM, 36 posts
The Lords of Necessity,
Chance and Death.
Sun 1 Oct 2023
at 02:27
  • msg #45

After the Auction

Place Holder
Sign In