Prelude - Cats and Dragons.   Posted by Jim.Group: 0
Valenstos
 player, 67 posts
Tue 26 Mar 2019
at 19:29
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
In reply to Jim (msg # 112):

"I guess you dragonewts have that option to you. Us humans don't so we fight to stay alive." Valenstos says. "We're going to back up to the river and let it charge us. Then we dodge out of the way, with a bit of luck it'll plunge in and drown or at least get washed away. I don't suppose you have any magic that might help us with dodging?"
Jim
 GM, 77 posts
 Retired and Bored
Tue 26 Mar 2019
at 19:41
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
"I can make you harder to hit with a weapon," says Bearer of Flames thoughtfully as the pig-kin clatters off the arch. "Here it comes!"

The monster rushes towards you, its small eyes gleaming in the torch-light. You guess that it still retains the trollkin ability of seeing in the dark somehow.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 19:41, Tue 26 Mar 2019.

Valenstos
 player, 68 posts
Tue 26 Mar 2019
at 20:02
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
In reply to Jim (msg # 114):

"MAKE ME HARDER TO HIT!" Valenstos has backed up the the river bank and prepares to strike the trollkin/boar/thing, he sets himself on the balls of his feet ready to dodge any incoming blow.

[url=http://orokos.com/roll/713698]Spear attack with bladesharp (56%)[/url]: 1d100 9
[url=http://orokos.com/roll/713699]Hit Location[/url]: 1d20 4
[url=http://orokos.com/roll/713700]Impale damage[/url]: 2d8+6+1d4 14
[url=http://orokos.com/roll/713701]Dodge (5%+shimmer spell?)[/url]: 1d100 98

Might have just stepped into his tusks

Jim
 GM, 78 posts
 Retired and Bored
Wed 27 Mar 2019
at 09:46
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
You stab with your spear but to your horror you see that for some reason your weapon has no effect on the creature. Even though it is a mighty blow the point does not sink in to the creature's skin!

Unseen to you Bearer of Flames leaps sideways and casts a spell on you, then readies another and casts it at the creature. There's a crackling of the air and a bolt of energy zips from the tiny dragonewt's claw and blood spurts from the monster's forequarters.

The were-thing slices at you with its tusks but as it didn't charge, it was at the river when it started so it simply turned towards you, its onset does not carry it into the river after it misses its attack.
Valenstos
 player, 69 posts
Thu 28 Mar 2019
at 15:00
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
In reply to Jim (msg # 116):

Seeing his spear fail to injure the beast Valenstos tries to cast Disruption on it before dodging from its next attack. He also throws his shield in the way to try and avoid any pain.


<a href="http://orokos.com/roll/713983">Cast Disruption (75%): 1d100 83</a>
[url=http://orokos.com/roll/713984]Dodge (5%+shimmer spell?)[/url]: 1d100 58
[url=http://orokos.com/roll/714050]Target Shield Parry (51%)[/url]: 1d100 42
Failed with both. I don't think I'll get to Scorpion Hall in one piece.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:07, Thu 28 Mar 2019.

Valenstos
 player, 70 posts
Tue 2 Apr 2019
at 15:53
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
In reply to Valenstos (msg # 117):

Valenstos charges the wereboar casting a disruption on the way. He lauches himself at it trying to wrestle it to the ground.

[url=http://orokos.com/roll/714911]Cast Disruption (75%)[/url]: 1d100 46
[url=http://orokos.com/roll/714916]POW vs POW[/url]: 1d100 98
[url=http://orokos.com/roll/714912]Hit Location[/url]: 1d20 18
[url=http://orokos.com/roll/714913]Disruption Damage[/url]: 1d3 2
[url=http://orokos.com/roll/714915]Grapple (30%)[/url]: 1d100 67

Jim
 GM, 79 posts
 Retired and Bored
Wed 3 Apr 2019
at 10:56
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
The boar races in, its feet splashing across the wet cave floor, slicing with its horrid tusks. However even with your failed attempt to grapple it doesn't connect.

Bearer of Flames shoots a despairing look at the cave entrance you came through but decides to stick it out with you. He hurriedly casts his spell a few more times, causing blood to spurt from the creature's body twice more. It squeals in fury and redoubles its efforts.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:11, Wed 03 Apr 2019.

Valenstos
 player, 72 posts
Wed 3 Apr 2019
at 15:27
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
In reply to Jim (msg # 119):
Valenstos fires of another disruption and then makes an attempt at grappling but misses his grab.
[url=http://orokos.com/roll/715408]Cast Disruption (75%)[/url]: 1d100 19
[url=http://orokos.com/roll/715409]POW vs POW[/url]: 1d100 65
[url=http://orokos.com/roll/715410]Hit Location[/url]: 1d20 11
[url=http://orokos.com/roll/715411]Disruption Damage[/url]: 1d3 1
[url=http://orokos.com/roll/715412]Grapple (30%)[/url]: 1d100 58
Jim
 GM, 80 posts
 Retired and Bored
Thu 4 Apr 2019
at 09:45
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
Once again blood spurts from the creature as the spells sizzle home. It starts to become desperate, and reeling with its injuries, tries to break away
Valenstos
 player, 73 posts
Sat 6 Apr 2019
at 16:45
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
In reply to Jim (msg # 121):
Valenstos tries to cast another disruption but fails but launches himself and catches the werepig round the waist.


[url=http://orokos.com/roll/716317]Cast Disruption (75%)[/url]: 1d100 86
[url=http://orokos.com/roll/716318]Grapple (30%)[/url]: 1d100 7
[url=http://orokos.com/roll/716319]Hit Location[/url]: 1d20 9
Jim
 GM, 81 posts
 Retired and Bored
Thu 2 May 2019
at 11:26
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
The creature squeals furiously and attempts to gore you, it's tusks flashing in the lamp light.
Bearer of Flames casts another spell and shouts "I have no more power!" However, blood spurts again from the monster's forequarters.

It can't wriggle free.
Valenstos
 player, 74 posts
Sun 5 May 2019
at 20:47
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
Making sure he maintains a firm grip on the werepig Valenstos fires another disrupt at it. "How well does your master like roast pork?" Valenstos asks the dragonewt loudly.

http://orokos.com/roll/724493
Grapple (30%) 1d100 14
http://orokos.com/roll/724502
Cast Disruption (75%) 1d100 18
http://orokos.com/roll/724504
POW vs POW 1d100 41
http://orokos.com/roll/724503
Hit Location 1d20 7
http://orokos.com/roll/724505
Disruption Damage 1d3 3

Jim
 GM, 82 posts
 Retired and Bored
Thu 16 May 2019
at 15:57
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
With a shudder the pig-thing dies, blood spurting from its mouth and nose. Slowly, it writes into the shape of a torn and ripped trollkin in your arms.

Bearer of Flames looks at you and says matter-of-factly "I was *that* close to running off and leaving you with it."
Valenstos
 player, 75 posts
Thu 16 May 2019
at 19:30
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
In reply to Jim (msg # 125):

Valenstos mutters under his breath and shakes his head at the lack of courage the dragonewt is displaying. He readies his self bow and looks for the way forward, aware that there is probably at least one more trollkin.
Jim
 GM, 83 posts
 Retired and Bored
Mon 20 May 2019
at 10:07
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
After a few moments of peering into the dark and listening for sounds among the rushing of the underground stream it becomes apparent that there are no more creatures nearby
Jim
 GM, 85 posts
 Retired and Bored
Thu 23 May 2019
at 10:49
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
Bearer of Flames looks about and relaxes. His scaly shoulders slump and he looks up at you, his long muzzle twisting into a grin.

"Looks like that's it for those things!" He holds up the guttering torch as you both look around but this chamber seems to be mainly empty. Even though it's big and fairly even floored the constant moisture seems to have dissuaded the trollkin from camping here. After about ten minutes you carefully cross the bridge to the exit and go down a short tunnel, weapons at the ready. Here you find a small cave which was where the trollkin had their base. Sitting in pride of place is the Coral Klanth of Aeschyanart that Bearer of Flames remarked on earlier. His eyes light up when he sees it.

"There it is! O Mighty Wyrm will be happy to get it back, that is if you decide to give it back to him . . . "

The tiny dragonewt looks at you speculatively, his lizard eyes inscrutable.

"What do you think, are you going to give it to him? It's not magical as such but it's worth an enormous amount. I'm just not exactly sure how a human would go about dealing O Mighty Wyrm and then actually selling it."
Valenstos
 player, 77 posts
Tue 28 May 2019
at 19:30
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
In reply to Jim (msg # 128):

Valenstos grins "It certainly is a beautiful thing. I'm not sure where I'd sell it if I wanted to take it and as I struggled to kill a few trollkin I seriously doubt I could do anything other than piss off the Mighty Wyrm. I reckon I'll just give it back to him, I don't need a whole nest of dragonewts pursuing me to get it back. In fact maybe a human should not sully it with his touch, you should get it. Mighty Wyrm might give you great honour."
Jim
 GM, 86 posts
 Retired and Bored
Thu 30 May 2019
at 09:31
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
Bearer of Flames nods, understanding the logic of your comment. He takes it up and says "look here, there coins-of-commerce that you humans value so highly."

You see there is a small pouch of the type everyone wears at thier belt. It is stuffed with coins, and you count 5 gems, 21 wheels(!) and 102 lunars. Apart from the usual trollkin filth and detritus there is nothing else but to go back to the surface.
Valenstos
 player, 78 posts
Mon 3 Jun 2019
at 19:09
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
In reply to Jim (msg # 130):

Valenstos scoops up the pouch and pops it into his pack. "Well, let's get this back to your master."

Leading the way, cautiously, he heads back to the surface.
Jim
 GM, 87 posts
 Retired and Bored
Mon 3 Jun 2019
at 23:50
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
Climbing out of the noisome cave you come back into the surface. Although it seems days that you were below ground the sun seems to only have a moved a small distance across the sky, it was probably only a few hours. Eventful hours though.

On the hillside next to the cave the huge wyrm is settled down near your rather unhappy horse. It's kaleidoscope eyes fix on you and once again you feel that strange feeling that your soul is falling out of your body and into the void. The big dragonkin shifts its gaze over to Bearer of Flames and sees that the tiny dragonewt is holding aloft the Coral Klanth of Aeschyanart in triumph.

O Great Wyrm says to you "Well done tiny thing, you have retrieved the Coral Klanth of Aeschyanart and have earned my gratitude. You may keep the slave, it might be useful."

Rather crestfallen both figuratively and literally, Bearer of Flames hands over the klanth. O Great Wyrm wraps its tail around it and then vaults into the air, its wondrous leathery pinions thunder as it flies up into the heavens. In a few minutes it is gone from view.

You can hear Bearer of Flames mutter behind you "Oh, 'gratitude'. I've heard about that somewhere."
Valenstos
 player, 79 posts
Thu 6 Jun 2019
at 20:11
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
In reply to Jim (msg # 132):

"I have no need, or desire, for a slave. You may stay with me if you like until you wish to leave but perhaps you should start to learn to be able to fight or do some magic other than that lent by a dragon."
Jim
 GM, 88 posts
 Retired and Bored
Fri 7 Jun 2019
at 06:34
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
Once again, the small lizard creature looks confused. "But if I leave, who will be in charge of me? I'll never progress if I run around unsupervised."

He looks off into the distance where O Great Wyrm has flown off, his expression unreadable to humans.

"Well, to be honest with you now that you're my . . . , I mean, well to be honest I was told to let you do the fighting. I'm a dreffnekar though, we don't really fight. We look for things and tell the mortnekar where it is and they kill it, as it is supposed to be. I guess you soft-skins don't organise yourselves like that, do you?"

He looks at the sky and adds. "Plenty of light, shall we go? I can kill things for you to eat as we move, that is one of my many purposes. I'm fine though, I don't eat meat."
Valenstos
 player, 80 posts
Fri 14 Jun 2019
at 16:57
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
In reply to Jim (msg # 134):

"Aye let's head off. I have to deliver these cats. Some food would be good so keep any eye out for anything really. I'll eat most stuff as long as it's not chaos."
Jim
 GM, 89 posts
 Retired and Bored
Sat 15 Jun 2019
at 10:40
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
You and Bearer of Flames ride and walk up over the hills and through ice troll pass. The snow gets about a foot deep and it becomes very cold, your teeth chatter and Bearer of Flames is unimpressed as he was unaware that this sort of environment existed. However he brings back a rabbit for the pot, but has no idea however of how to cook it as dragonewts rarely cook their food.

The kittens gambol about as you make camp. Your horse munches on the short, brittle grass and steams in the cold. You make a good fire and look up at the amazing stars. Bearer of Flames curls up by the fire and snoozes, waiting for you to call him for his watch.

The next day sees you down from the mountains and into the cool uplands to the east of Clearwine. After a long day's march you get there in plenty of time for the festival and ceremony. Your long trip has made you something of a celebrity and after vouchsafing for Keeper of Flame's behavior you are put up in Vsadnik Vetra's hall and given a position of honour at the table.

At the end of the meal that night on the eve of the ceremony you present the kitten's to Vsadnik Vetra who is delighted but is taken aback that there's two of them. She tells you she feels that the gods have willed it that you and she should have a bond and that the kittens are the sign of this. She chooses one and leaves the other to you, mentioning that Zmeya Mchet knows the ritual to prepare the kitten to become a familiar should you wish it. She assures you the ritual is painless and does not harm the kitten, the spirit that would reside within it merely is a companion and not a domination.

The ceremony the next day is long and enjoyable. Bearer of Flames goes off to scout around the local woods while you are away. After the ceremony Vsadnik Vetra takes you aside, tired but happy, and warns you that as Orlanth is suppressed in Sartar and Prax now would be a good time to receive spell training or other skills that you might want from a temple.
Valenstos
 player, 81 posts
Sun 23 Jun 2019
at 20:50
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
In reply to Jim (msg # 136):

I'll probably  want to take training in spear, shield and self bow. Speedart and protection 2. Or whatever he can afford from that list.