Prelude - Cats and Dragons.   Posted by Jim.Group: 0
Jim
 GM, 1 post
 Retired and Bored
Mon 25 Feb 2019
at 19:52
Prelude - SoloQuest
This is the IC. Normally I'd just have this but I'll have an OOC so I can sort out stuff
Jim
 GM, 3 posts
 Retired and Bored
Tue 26 Feb 2019
at 10:18
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
The noted healer Zmeya Mchet has been breeding shadow cats for years and the breed is swift and sleek, very much in demand if you can get one.

Vsadnik Vetra is to be inducted as an Orlanthi priest in three days, a two-day ride away from here in Clearwine. Zmeya has just weaned a kitten and wants to give it to Vsadnik as a gift to be the vessel of an allied spirit in honour of a promise made many years ago. She cannot leave the temple she works in and as you are her closest friend she has asked you to take the kitten to Vsadnik's installation.

She promises you a point of Heal or Protect as a reward and thanks for this task.

The journey will be through fairly wild and unsettled uplands, but not too dangerous or she'd be seeking a party of warriors for the job. In honour of your years of friendship and a desire to get out for a while you decide to take the road to Clearwine and deliver the shadow kitten.

Decide what you will take with you on your horse. Zmeya gives you a pack of supplies for the trip there and back and waves you off as you leave your steading.
Jim
 GM, 4 posts
 Retired and Bored
Tue 26 Feb 2019
at 10:25
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
The first day is uneventful. Even though it is Storm Season the air is cool and clear, perfect for riding. There is a layer of snow on the ground. The snow is as deep as a hand on the track but deeper under the trees and the shaded banks. The snow is beginning to melt, Seas Season is not far away - six weeks ago this trip would have been far more difficult. A sheltered grove in a little hollow looks like a comfortable place to spend the night, so  you tether your horse and prepare for rest, ensuing that the sleepy kitten is warm and fed.

You awaken refreshed the next morning, ready to continue your journey when you notice with horror that the kitten is missing.

Angrily you circle the camp looking for tracks . . .

(Please make a 'Track' roll)
Valenstos
 player, 1 post
Tue 26 Feb 2019
at 19:42
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
In reply to Jim (msg # 3):

"Dammit!" Valenstos cursed himself. He had thought of how to secure the kitten and wishes he had paid more attention to that job. Still, there was no use crying over spilt milk. He'd better get on with the job of finding the thing. Walking around until he found some kitten prints in the mud.
Jim
 GM, 6 posts
 Retired and Bored
Wed 27 Feb 2019
at 00:07
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
Your brow furrows when you follow the kitten's tracks. They go for a short way and then you see what look like the marks of unshod human feet in the snow. These new tracks had circled your camp, seemingly looking for something to steal, then they appeared to have picked up the kitten and moved off through heavy brush and rocky terrain that you would not be able to follow on your horse.

What do you do?
Valenstos
 player, 2 posts
Wed 27 Feb 2019
at 07:23
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
In reply to Jim (msg # 5):

Hefting his spear in his right hand and clasping his target shield firmly in his left Valenstos casts his bladesharp (2) onto his spear. Then he uses his shield to push through the heavy brush, all the time keeping a lookout for the thief and any further tracks.
Jim
 GM, 8 posts
 Retired and Bored
Wed 27 Feb 2019
at 09:02
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
You follow the tracks for about an hour through heavy brush and up rocky ground, having to have left your horse behind in the hollow. The tracks, often lost but always found again, lead to an ancient square structure of very old design. You suspect it might be a small earth temple or shrine and it looks to be hundreds of years old. The heavily sculptured exterior is weathered and eroded, not giving any hint to what gods, if any, were once venerated here.

You cautiously circle the building and see that there are no apertures apart from a door facing south. The door is not wood but a heavy sculpted stone slab however there are no vines covering the opening like the rest of the building. The tracks lead up to the door and disappear.

Obviously there is but one option, to enter.
Jim
 GM, 9 posts
 Retired and Bored
Wed 27 Feb 2019
at 09:42
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
You carefully push your shoulder to the slab and it pivots without much trouble. Inside it is dim but not dark, in a corner a small clay oil lamp's wick gives off enough light to see. There is no one else in the room.

This appears to once have been an entry hall or atrium. The roof overhead is vaulted and the walls are carved in geometric shapes. Before you is what appears to have been an altar or some sort of bench but it has been struck many times by what may have been a work maul. The top is smashed to pieces.

Alarmingly two runes have been daubed on the far wall in some dark, viscous substance. They are the chaos rune and the death rune.

There is a door to either side of you, one in the east wall and one in the west wall. The dark pavement shows no marks.
Valenstos
 player, 3 posts
Wed 27 Feb 2019
at 16:14
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
In reply to Jim (msg # 8):

"Hmmm, Yelm rises in the east. That's the way to go." Not being fully familiar with all the chaos cults the also use the death rune Valenstos prepares himself for the worst. He calls bladesharp to his mind ready to cast it should he be attacked.
Jim
 GM, 10 posts
 Retired and Bored
Wed 27 Feb 2019
at 17:02
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
The door is of similar construction but thinner than the outer door. You push up against the lichen encrusted stone and it slides open, showing you another room. This room is square as well and you think that each room in the shrine will be the same, probably a mystical relation with the square earth rune.

There are no occupants visible.

The room is almost dark, the only light penetrating it is from the little lamp behind you in the first room.

Inside are many large jars of varying sizes, shapes and positions. They seems to have been stacked here over the years. The walls are still carved in geometric shapes but the patterns are larger here and have a recurring motif of superimposed squares.

There is another door in the north wall.

(Please make a Listen roll)
Valenstos
 player, 4 posts
Wed 27 Feb 2019
at 18:51
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
In reply to Jim (msg # 10):

Valenstos stands in the middle of the room listening for any sounds of movement but eyes the jars suspiciously trying to work out if there is any pattern or meaning in their positions.


Valenstos rolled 4 using 1d100.  Listen (57%)
Jim
 GM, 11 posts
 Retired and Bored
Wed 27 Feb 2019
at 23:46
Prelude - Cats and Dragons
As you stand in the dim doorway you suspect that you can hear soft snoring from the next room through the door.