Graduation Day.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Vokulmahvo
 Dragonborn Paladin, 42 posts
Thu 11 Apr 2019
at 20:20
As You All Head Out...
"At least it was a healing spell, so it didn't hurt anyone."
Crystalline
 Half-Elf Druid, 48 posts
Thu 11 Apr 2019
at 21:48
As You All Head Out...
In reply to Vokulmahvo (msg # 214):

"That is true, though I did briefly go blind. But I passed!"
She smiles softly.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 91 posts
Fri 12 Apr 2019
at 13:27
In The Hall
As you are chatting, the double doors open behind you, and Aribeth walks in, smiling and radiating joy. She is accompanied by two Greycloaks, and they flank her as she approaches the altar on the south wall. Everyone moves toward the center of the room, between the four pillars, so they can see her and she can see them.
Crystalline
 Half-Elf Druid, 49 posts
Fri 12 Apr 2019
at 14:02
In The Hall
In reply to Dungeon Master (msg # 216):

Crystalline moves that way, standing near the back of the crowd. She focuses solely on Lady Aribeth.
McKellen
 Human Ranger, 50 posts
Fri 12 Apr 2019
at 15:24
In The Hall
He follows Crystalline towards the back of the crowd and stands close by, but not in a creepy kind of way; he would rather be near someone he knows than those he doesn't.
Kolgrim
 Human Fighter, 36 posts
Fri 12 Apr 2019
at 15:39
In The Hall
Kolgrim finally snapped out of his head and looked at his surrounding and realized Crystalline and McKellen had moved over to the back of crowd. He is unsure of what he should do seeing how they were separated in pairs. Kolgrim motions his hand for Vokulmahvo to follow him as he walks over towards Crystalline and McKellen to join them.
Vokulmahvo
 Dragonborn Paladin, 43 posts
Fri 12 Apr 2019
at 19:55
In The Hall
I shrug my shoulders and then follow over to the rest of the group. I'm taller than most people, so it doesn't really matter to me where I stand.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 92 posts
Sat 13 Apr 2019
at 20:34
In The Hall
Aribeth stands in between the two southern pillars on a pedestal, and though she is not tall, her presence is commanding; all eyes and ears are fixed on her. With a beam, she addresses the group gathered:

"Congratulations to all of you, the first graduating class of the Neverwinter Academy! Your's is the first group to graduate from these venerable halls in over three decades!"

She and her Greycloak guards bow to you, and give you a round of applause. She continues after a moment: "The purpose of this Academy has always been to mold and train the finest of Neverwinter's minds and bodies to reach your fullest potential. As your backgrounds, skills, and specializations vary, so will your duties and assignments. Some of you will immediately transition into the Greycloaks; they are always in need of officers, and your training under Herban is a natural springboard. Some of you will go on to serve your deities by treating the ill and wounded here in this crisis under the direction of the Halls of Justice; Justicar Elwynyd has spoken very highly of many of you. A few may choose to apply to the Order of the Many-Starred Cloaks; Jaroo himself is the member in charge of evaluating new members of that prestigious guild. After a period of service, many of you will leave Neverwinter, maybe to go and start your own Academies in cities like Waterdeep, Suzail, and Heliogabulus. A select few, however, will engage on a mission at my own behest, and the behest of Lord Nasher Alagondar."

She pauses, allowing the group gathered to guess at their assignments in whispered tones, before continuing: "You will all receive your assignments when you leave this evening; for now, relax, for your instruction is over! In one hour, the main hall near the entrance to the Academy will host your graduation celebration. Let me be the first to say: May the blessing of Tyr be upon you, and congratulations, Graduates of the Neverwinter Academy!"

At these words, the whole room bursts into applause, and the gathered graduates cheer at her words. She then moves through the gathered group, blessing those students in the name of Tyr. The students move off into groups, milling around and excitedly speculating on their assignments. Finally, she approaches your group.

She smiles and touches each of your shoulders in turn, and speaking to the group, she blesses you: "Your training here at the Academy is now complete! May the blessing of Tyr be upon you!"

Addressing you in a more personal way, she then shakes each of your hands and says "It is good to see you again, Vokulmahvo. As for the rest of you, I have been looking forward to meeting you all; the instructors here at the Academy speak very highly of your skills. I am Lady Aribeth de Tylmarande." She smiles and bows her head. "As I said, I have been looking forward to meeting all of you; you four are especially talented. You may be what Lord Nasher is seeking right now."

"After the celebration, come to my office, just off the main hall. There, we'll discuss your future and this missio---"

A deep boom cuts her off, and a silence falls over the hall. Another, and then a third, rumble through the hall. With the third, the entire room shakes for just a moment.

Aribeth turns to her Greycloaks, and says to them: "Was that the barrier?!" She yells to the hall: "Prepare yourselves, everyone!"

As she finishes her statement, four orange-clad men teleport into the room, one at each pillar, and fire off a barrage of spells; missiles of purple-white light streak across the room, and the Greycloaks, as well as three students, are cut down in front of you in seconds.

Aribeth draws her greatsword and charges into the fray with a shout: "We are under attack! Destroy the invaders!"

OOC:Everyone roll initiative! Roll the d20 plus your Dex modifier, and put the reason for roll as "Initiative."

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:37, Sat 13 Apr 2019.

Vokulmahvo
 Dragonborn Paladin, 44 posts
Mon 15 Apr 2019
at 17:57
In The Hall
I draw my sword and stand ready, my back to the group and my face to the mage next to the southwest pillar.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 93 posts
Mon 15 Apr 2019
at 19:09
In The Hall
Here is the Battle Order:
Aribeth
McKellen
Mysterious Mages
Kolgrim
Vokulmahvo
Crystalline

Aribeth charges the mage on the northeast pillar, and swings twice. The first blow misses, but the second seems to connect. He is still standing.

McKellen!
McKellen
 Human Ranger, 51 posts
Mon 15 Apr 2019
at 19:26
In The Hall
He takes off his bow and moves 10 feet to behind Vokulmahvo, firing an arrow at the southeastern most mage before moving another 15 feet to reposition between Kolgrim and Aribeth.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 94 posts
Mon 15 Apr 2019
at 19:51
In The Hall
The SE mage takes McKellen's arrow in the shoulder, but remains standing. The four reposition slightly, and fire off spells. One targets Aribeth, one targets McKellen, one targets the lone student in the northwestern corner, and one targets the group of students in the southwestern corner.

The one targeting Aribeth hits her with a blueish-white ray, but she keeps going; the same kind of ray targets McKellen, but misses wide; the lone student is hit and goes down by a third ray, and the group of students is hit by a pillar of white flames, spawned from the ceiling, and are all on fire.

Kolgrim!
Kolgrim
 Human Fighter, 37 posts
Tue 16 Apr 2019
at 15:00
In The Hall
Kolgrim unsheathes both of his blades and makes a run for the northeast mage, lunging at him with both longsword and shortsword in hand.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 95 posts
Tue 16 Apr 2019
at 15:04
In The Hall
Both of Kolgrim's blades are dodged, and the mage is unharmed.

Vokulmahvo!
Vokulmahvo
 Dragonborn Paladin, 45 posts
Tue 16 Apr 2019
at 15:49
In The Hall
I close the distance to the mage in the northwest corner and swing my greatsword down on him.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 96 posts
Tue 16 Apr 2019
at 15:50
In The Hall
Unfortunately, your blow swings wide, and he easily sidesteps the attack.

Crystalline!
Crystalline
 Half-Elf Druid, 50 posts
Tue 16 Apr 2019
at 17:21
In The Hall
In reply to Dungeon Master (msg # 229):

Crystalline was momentarily shocked by the surprise attack. Before she could even move everyone else has started attacking. But now she shakes herself out of her brief stupor and gets to work. She focuses on the students that are on fire. She attempts to put them out using Create Water. Hopefully water will put out the flames.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 97 posts
Tue 16 Apr 2019
at 17:22
In The Hall
The water rains down, and the flames are extinguished.

Aribeth charges the mage that Kolgrim is fighting, and swings twice. The first swipe misses, but the second decapitates the mage.

McKellen!

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:23, Tue 16 Apr 2019.

McKellen
 Human Ranger, 52 posts
Tue 16 Apr 2019
at 17:29
In The Hall
He fires away at the same mage as before.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 98 posts
Tue 16 Apr 2019
at 17:39
In The Hall
Both of McKellen's nocked arrows go wide, one to each side of the mage.

The southeastern mage ducks behind the pillar, to give cover from McKellen's arrows, and shoots a ray at Kolgrim; it shoots wide, as his current injury distracts him.

The northwestern mage runs around the pillar disengages from Vokulmahvo, then moves around the north side of the pillar.

The southwestern mage fires a ray off at Vokulmahvo; it goes wide.


Kolgrim!
Kolgrim
 Human Fighter, 38 posts
Tue 16 Apr 2019
at 18:25
In The Hall
Kolgrim felt the ray go past him, he checks the mage he previously engaged with only to see his head clean off. Kolgrim charges at the southeast mage attacking with his charge.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:29, Tue 16 Apr 2019.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 99 posts
Tue 16 Apr 2019
at 18:29
In The Hall
Your longsword swing goes wide, but the follow up blow with the shortsword catches him off guard, and nicks his arm. He growls in response to the cut.

Vokulmahvo!

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:49, Wed 17 Apr 2019.

Vokulmahvo
 Dragonborn Paladin, 46 posts
Wed 17 Apr 2019
at 13:31
In The Hall
Trying to carry the momentum, I swing my sword in a wide arc and attack the NW mage again.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:44, Wed 17 Apr 2019.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 100 posts
Wed 17 Apr 2019
at 13:48
In The Hall
Your charge around the pillar catches him off guard, and you manage to hit him from behind, slicing his shoulders. He stumbles, but is still up.

Crystalline!

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:58, Wed 17 Apr 2019.

Crystalline
 Half-Elf Druid, 51 posts
Wed 17 Apr 2019
at 14:05
In The Hall
She turns her attention to the mage in the southwest. She uses Produce Flame and hurls it at him.