I: Springfield by Night.   Posted by Storyteller.Group: 0
Dana
 player, 52 posts
Sun 7 Jul 2019
at 11:50
Re: I: Springfield by Night
Dana acknowledges each of Leonard's claims that they're doing a very stupid thing with a shrug that's far more nonchalant that she actually feels. But showing that she's nervous will only make him more nervous. Even if he is right. But, if it'll help put a stop to whatever did that back at the office, it'll be worth the risk.

As they come to a stop, Dana unbuckles herself from the car and nods at the werewolf's promise. "Right. Cool. As long as we're not out too late; we've got a bit of a strict curfew," Dana says, showing a quick, fanged grin. Turning to Leonard, she adds, lowering her voice, "Not sure when we'll be back, but I'd say cut and run if anything seems off or dangerous, Leo. We'll manage on our own for a day and find a cave or something, then call you tomorrow night if we're not piles of ash or something, all right?" She says it with a bright grin and a joking air, though she does hope he'll listen.

Slipping out of the car, Dana offers Leonard a last smile before turning to Yuki to see if the other vampire is ready or has any objections.
Yuki
 player, 46 posts
Tue 9 Jul 2019
at 22:56
Re: I: Springfield by Night
Yuki slides out of the car shortly after Dana, shuffling her backpack back into position. She gives the other vampire an affirmative nod of shared I guess we're doing this. Walking directly into the wolf's den had not been how she had expected her first night in Boston to go.
Storyteller
 GM, 44 posts
Sat 13 Jul 2019
at 03:01
Re: I: Springfield by Night
Leonard seems legitimately worried -- perhaps even scared -- when Dana mentions becoming piles of ash, but nevertheless he nods, letting the vampires go into the wolf's den without further protest. The werewolf, for herself, seems antsy, rocking on her feet, as if she couldn't wait to get this over and done with.

As the vampires follow the werewolf into the woods, they can see a visible change coming over her. She steps more surely, her posture becomes straighter, and the tension that was previously in all of her muscles seems to fade away. She is no longer walking through dense undergrowth, but stalking through the green carpet of her home.

To the vampires, the trek is miserable. Brambles snag their clothing, while hidden roots in the foliage trip them. Shapes seem to move unseen through the trees, watching them, and an oppressive feeling of constriction comes over them, clearly unnatural. This forest recognizes the vampires for what they are, and somehow they are sure that if they did not have their guide, they might never be able to leave this place.

Eventually the path opens up into a meadow, and their guide stops. She turns to the vampires, and hesitates, as if reconsidering the wisdom of guiding them here. She speaks slowly, and her voice sounds richer, devoid of the tension and rage that had been close to the surface before. "Listen to me very carefully. After we go into the meadow, do not make any sudden movements. In fact, do not move at all. Do not speak unless spoken to, and don't raise your voice. Do you understand me?"
Dana
 player, 53 posts
Sun 14 Jul 2019
at 04:09
Re: I: Springfield by Night
Dana makes her way clumsily through the forest that she's near-certain is doing something to keep her from walking comfortably forward. Maybe the area is warded against vampires or something. Whatever the case, she can barely string together two steps without stumbling and her annoyance is beginning to win out over her nervousness and her attempts at remaining cheerful.

To top it off, it feels... difficult to move, almost, and like there's a weight pressing on her chest. Like it's hard to breathe except she knows she doesn't have to but the knowledge doesn't help. As they continue, she mutters, "You know, I used to like the occasional bit of camping. Spending the night under the stars when I was on the road... Kinda wrote it off as a lost cause when I was Embraced. Can't remember why I liked it right now."

As they arrive at the meadow, Dana peers curiously past the werewolf for a moment before returning her attention to the other woman. At least one of us is comfortable. The vampire tries a weak smile. "Right. I'd ask if we're allowed to breathe, but that's kind of a moot point. Any kind of warning for what to expect? Or is it the kind of surprise that's best left unspoiled?" There's an edge of nerves to her words that she tries to cover. This is possibly one of her least thought-out ideas in a long while.
Yuki
 player, 47 posts
Sun 14 Jul 2019
at 20:59
Re: I: Springfield by Night
Yuki follows behind the other two, stumbling her way through the forest. With every wayward branch, root, and bramble, a smile grows on her face, becoming wide and manic. She can feel it.The phantom ache of exhaustion that should have been present, but isn't. The weightlessness of her immortality is still new, still sharp. And she can feel the other thing, too. The challenge, the threat. The forest trying to scare her with ghosts and whispers. Showing its teeth. She shows hers right back.

As they clear the trees and Yuki notices that the werewolf is moving to turn back towards them, Yuki quickly covers her mouth. It does little to hide the dread gleam in her eyes, but gives the little vampire enough time to martial her emotions somewhat before she lowers her hand again. When she does, she is still grinning, but not so inhumanly wide, and not so much a direct challenge. She shuffles the backpack up on her shoulders. "'Kay."
Storyteller
 GM, 45 posts
Sat 24 Aug 2019
at 20:12
Re: I: Springfield by Night
The werewolf ponders Dana's question for a moment, but shakes her head. "Nothing I say could prepare you. Follow, and be careful." She moves into the clearing, expecting the vampires to heed her words.

A stream cuts through the middle of the clearing, meandering around tree trunks and large rocks. Near the corner of the clearing stands a humble hut, the only nod to civilization in this otherwise wild place.

After a few moments, both vampires are startled to realize they are not alone. A lone figure stands on top of the tallest stone, close to the center of the meadow. A wisp of a girl, thinner than Yuki, through clearly at least in her twenties. The girl has dirt-blond hair caught in twigs and is dressed in rough rags stitched together from the leather of many animals. She rocks softly to herself, as if listening to a song, but suddenly stops.

"Visitors. From Outside. It has been so long since I've had new visitors in my grove."

The girl's voice is musical, soft, and completely dissonant with the rest of her appearance and her surroundings. The girl turns to the vampires, and her eyes shine a wolf's yellow, reflecting the moonlight.

"No. Not visitors." She says, sizing the vampires. "Seekers. You are on a quest for the Lost Knight, but you will not find him here, no." She turns to the werewolf, and smiles. "You remembered your promise. Thank you."

She turns back to the vampires and gives a court-appropriate curtsy, holding an imaginary dress. "I have many names, but some of my kin call me Sees-All-Colors. What should I call you?"
Dana
 player, 54 posts
Sat 24 Aug 2019
at 21:28
Re: I: Springfield by Night
Dana frowns for a moment as they enter the clearing and she catches sight of the person that... their werewolf friend had brought them to meet, partially because she realizes she forgot to ask the werewolf's name and partially because they seem to have been brought before a little girl. But the moment passes and Dana's puzzlement evens out; the girl— woman— actually appears to be her age, just quite small and, anyway, Yuki's a child and Dana certainly wouldn't want to be on her bad side.

The vampire offers a grin, displaying friendly fangs. She starts to raise her hand to wave at the girl, but stops herself as she belatedly remembers the order for no sudden movements. "Pleasure to meet you, Sees-All-Colors. I'm Dana. Though, I'm curious, how do you know who we're looking for? And do you happen to know where we could find him?"

...They also weren't supposed to speak without being spoken to. Dammit. Not great at this, are you? Dana's smile turned slightly apologetic with the realization, glancing toward the werewolf who'd brought them here.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:39, Sat 24 Aug 2019.

Yuki
 player, 48 posts
Sat 24 Aug 2019
at 21:59
Re: I: Springfield by Night
By the time the two (three, counting the seeing-eye mutt) have reached the glade, Yuki's grin has tempered, mostly, though there is still a hostile curl at the edge of her lips.

When the spirit-wolf — or whatever that Sees-All-Colors is supposed to be — speaks up, and Dana immediately undercuts her supposed superior socializing skills, Yuki replies behind her with a curt, simple, "Yuki." With the other vampire taking the lead, Moving "get people skills" to the top of the list, Yuki elects to not do anything that would get them deeper into trouble, for the moment, and lets Dana continue.
Storyteller
 GM, 46 posts
Sat 24 Aug 2019
at 22:12
Re: I: Springfield by Night
Their werewolf guide stiffens as Dana starts babbling more than what she had been asked, while Sees-All-Colors simply tilts her head sideways, listening to Dana's question. She laughs, then looks up to the sky. "The stars are pretty tonight."

Without warning she leaps, somersaulting in the air and displaying unexpected strength and agility given her frame, and lands in front of their guide. She embraces the taller werewolf, whispering something in her ear that makes her relax again. Sees-All-Colors then turns back to the vampires, approaching them; she peers closely into each vampire's face, then starts giggling. "Yes, I also think you will do."

She turns away from the vampires and walks to the stream, sitting down on the shore and putting her bare feet in the water. "My Lancelot is hidden from my gaze by a dark, twisting power." She pouts. "You will punish the culprit for me."
Dana
 player, 55 posts
Sun 25 Aug 2019
at 14:38
Re: I: Springfield by Night
Dana tenses reflexively as Sees-All-Colors launches into the air, startled by the unexpected movement. She leans back slightly as the young woman leans into her face, lips twitching instinctively into a slight, uncertain smile. But she and Yuki seem to pass whatever muster the girl's working with. All in all, this is going better than expected so far. No one's tried to kill anyone yet. Better than things usually go with werewolves and vampires... especially with a werewolf hunter's Childe here.

Dana perks up as Sees-All-Colors calls Lancelot 'hers', remembering the photos of him and... this girl, apparently. Though, she seems younger than she had in the pictures and Dana's not entirely sure how that's possible, but with a pair of vampires talking to a couple of werewolves, she's not questioning it too much. Well, she wants to ask quite a few questions about that, but it'll wait. For a little, anyway.

The girl walks away and Dana has to stop herself from following after her. "I'm happy to help find whoever vanished Lancelot, especially if they're behind whatever the hell's going on in town. Is there anything more about this you can tell us, though? About whoever this is, where Lancelot was investigating, anything?"
Yuki
 player, 49 posts
Sun 25 Aug 2019
at 15:39
Re: I: Springfield by Night
Yuki takes a step back as the wolf-spirit-thing leaps towards them, half-starting to slip the backpack off her shoulders. After it lands, and displays no further hostile intentions, the young vampire loosens her white-knuckle grip on the fabric straps, shifting them back up to sit properly on her shoulders and straightening her stance.

As Dana attempts to pry forth some new information, Yuki squares her jaw, trying to avoid saying anything improper that could result in negotiations breaking down. She'd expected to be led into a wolf's den, surrounded by dozens of snarling maws as the two vampires tried to negotiate some kind of peace. That wasn't what happened, but for as much as eerie, agile waif in front of them did not come across as threatening — certainly, not as much as the burly brute that had brought them here — her easy nature when standing withing biting distance of two vampires gave Yuki the nerve-knawing impression that she'd've been safer with the "dozens of werewolves".
Storyteller
 GM, 47 posts
Mon 26 Aug 2019
at 23:31
Re: I: Springfield by Night
"Many threads are being woven in the hell-city, drifter," Sees-All-Colors waves a lazy hand around, as if dismissing the statement. "Some new, many old." She sighs wistfully, and leans back on her hands, looking up to the sky again. "The stars can guide you, if you know where -- and how -- to look."

There's a pause, and Sees-All-Colors tenses suddenly. When she speaks, her voice is hoarser, and accompanied by a low growl.  "You should go, now. Bring my Lancelot back from the shadows. I will be in touch."

The other werewolf's eyes widen, and she motions for the vampires to follow as she starts making her way back towards the trees, shooting wary glances in Sees-All-Colors' direction.
Dana
 player, 56 posts
Wed 28 Aug 2019
at 00:20
Re: I: Springfield by Night
Dana's brow furrowed slightly at Sees-All-Colors calling her 'drifter', not quite sure how she might've known that. Ultimately, the vampire was willing to take it on faith that the young woman had her ways. Again, there were weirder things going on in the moment than seemingly supernatural knowledge. Especially if Sees-All-Colors is some sort of seer, as she seems to be implying.

However, they don't seem to be getting any more answers as Sees-All-Colors seems to be... unwell. Dana feels an uncomfortable twist in her chest. The sound of Sees-All-COlors's voice and the way she tenses remind the vampire uncomfortably of the Beast. "We'll try, Sees-All-Colors. Thank you for inviting us here." She bows her head for a moment before moving to follow after the werewolf who had brought them here, wondering in the back of her mind if she should be worrying more about the request that they leave or the previous one that they not make any sudden moves.
Yuki
 player, 50 posts
Wed 28 Aug 2019
at 21:15
Re: I: Springfield by Night
Yuki's mouth tightens into a line as she chokes down an annoyed retort at the waif's mystical gibberish about stars. Not worth it, not worth it. Move on. Visibly grumpy, she puts her hands in her pockets and follows after the guide dog. Their forest adventure having been largely unhelpful, she instead commits herself to simply getting back out of it as quickly as possible, ideally before the werewolf-spirit-god-thing works herself into a frenzy and kills them all.

As they make their way back out of the forest, that very "stars" line is a fixture in Yuki's brain, the young vampire twisting it about as she tries to suss out its hidden meaning. It does not improve her mood. I hate werewolves, she decides to herself.
Storyteller
 GM, 48 posts
Wed 28 Aug 2019
at 21:28
Re: I: Springfield by Night
The werewolf guide is silent as she takes the two vampires back through the woods. The ambiance of the forest remains as oppressive as during their trek in, which leaves little room for idle conversation. Eventually the group emerges from the trees and back into the road, at a slightly different point from where they went in, Leonard and his car waiting a couple of feet away.

Leonard startles, staring at the group wide-eyed. "What the fuck? What the fuck?" He points forward, towards the section of the woods he was looking at. "I just saw you disappear in the trees right there!"
Yuki
 player, 51 posts
Wed 28 Aug 2019
at 22:41
Re: I: Springfield by Night
"You'll be excited to learn that our side of that wasn't less annoying," Yuki replies to the bewildered driver. Free of the woods, she finds herself unconsciously straightening up from a slouch, though her hands remain in the pocket of her hoodie. "We got some cryptic bullshit hints which, honestly, is getting amazingly predictable."

For all her cross words, Yuki nevertheless finds herself glancing up at the sky. With nothing obviously afoot, she returns her gaze groundwards.
Dana
 player, 57 posts
Thu 29 Aug 2019
at 02:39
Re: I: Springfield by Night
Dana blinks at Leonard's outburst, looking from him, to the forest, to him again as if she expects to find some sort of answer. She turns to the werewolf, then frowns and shakes her head, turning back to Leonard and Yuki. "You know what? Fair enough. I don't know what I expected. Maybe that's why she looks younger than she did in the photos. Let's just look on the bright side, hey? At least now there's less of a rush to get back to town so you and I don't get dusted, Yuki."

The vampire turns back to the werewolf— and every part of that statement contributes to why Dana's willing to take the time shenanigans in stride— and holds out a hand. "Thanks for bringing us here, Miss...?" She pauses long enough to give the werewolf time to supply her name, if she's willing. "I'm not sure if that helped and I'm not sure if we'll be able to help, either, but I'm glad for the potential of allies, anyway. Can we trade numbers or some kinda contact stuff to coordinate or, at least, keep in touch for all this?" She gestures between herself and Yuki, adding, "The two of us are really only available at night, obviously, but Leo's up during daylight hours if you really need to tell us something."
Storyteller
 GM, 49 posts
Sun 1 Sep 2019
at 09:56
Re: I: Springfield by Night
Leonard still seems astonished and struggling to come to grips with the situation, but the werewolf just sighs. She hesitates for a second before taking Dana's hand. "My kin calls me Dances-with-Glass. But you can call me Tara."

An expression that is hard to read passes over Tara's face as Dana mentions coordination, and she tenses for a moment before forcefully relaxing herself. "I'm not sure that's a good idea. I wouldn't bet on things going as smoothly as they did today again, if vampires and werewolves need to work together. But sure. Give me your number, and if anything comes up I will give you a call. At the very least we're both interested in finding -- and stopping -- however is behind those murders." She adds, in a mutter that is mostly to herself, "And Sees-All-Colors seems to have taken an interest in you."
Dana
 player, 58 posts
Mon 2 Sep 2019
at 17:33
Re: I: Springfield by Night
Dana smiles brightly as Tara takes her hand and introduces herself. This is going remarkably well for an evening she thought might end in getting murdered by some sort of supernatural shred-monster. Or whatever was killing people. The grin fades slightly at Tara's pessimism, but Dana shrugs it off. "Eh. Tonight's gone pretty smooth and we're really just looking to help and not to start any fights. So, maybe things'll go all right." As long as we don't involve to many more of my kind... and your kind are level-headed. Optimistic, but she could hope. She couldn't hope much, going around with the young Childe of a werewolf-hunter, but still.

Dana lists off her number to Tara, then unlocks her phone and starts to enter in a new Contact. She gives Tara a questioning look; the werewolf had said she'd take Dana's number, not offered her own but there was no harm in asking.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:39, Mon 02 Sept 2019.

Storyteller
 GM, 50 posts
Mon 2 Sep 2019
at 23:37
Re: I: Springfield by Night
Tara grimaces when she realizes Dana is waiting for her to give her own number, and hesitates for a moment. She sighs and ends up saying it, but then adds "Only call me if it's really important, okay?"

A wolf howls in the distance, from the direction they had come from, making Tara's head snap towards it. "You should really go now. You've already stayed here for far too long."
Dana
 player, 59 posts
Wed 4 Sep 2019
at 20:04
Re: I: Springfield by Night
Dana lets a hint of apology leak into her smile again as Tara reluctantly gave up her number, but, inwardly, she was pleased. A one-way street is workable, but two-way is always preferable. "You got it. Life or death only. Or... well, you know what I mean."

Her gaze tracked back to the forest at the sound of the howl, frowning. Could that be Sees-All-Colors? She'd seemed to be having difficulties before they left. Definitely best not to stick around, then. "Right. Let's not overstay our welcome, guys. Thank you again, Tara. I hope we'll be able to stop whatever's doing this together."

She moved to hop back into the passenger seat of the car, offering a wave of farewell to Tara as she went.
Yuki
 player, 52 posts
Wed 4 Sep 2019
at 21:43
Re: I: Springfield by Night
Yuki slides in behind Dana, grateful to have the door of a vehicle between herself and the howling. She'd not had the most empowering first few weeks of vampirehood, but being trapped in the heart of a wolf-thing's borough was easily the most vulnerable she'd ever felt. To think that Leo's car would so quickly come to signify a return to normalcy...

The young vampire rubs the bridge of her nose, trying to work out the last of the snarl. When she looks back up, it is to speak. Her face appears between the front  seats, looking up at Dana.

"Seems we have plenty of night left, then. Any thoughts on what to do about that riddle? Well, anything besides finding a nice roof and staring at the sky until something comes to us. Because that one's mine."
Dana
 player, 60 posts
Thu 5 Sep 2019
at 01:19
Re: I: Springfield by Night
Dana sighs and glances out the window at the night sky. Time enough to look into things a bit more before they turn in for the day. But that's about the only thing it confirms for her. She turns back to Yuki and smiles again, shrugging. "Not even a little bit, I'm afraid. Riddles have never been my thing, really. Maybe if we'd had more time to talk to Sees-All-Colors, but we work with what we have. So, maybe put that on the backburner for now?"

She rapped her fingers on the door. "So, we've met Lance's mystery girl, we raided his room, and that's about all I've got for what to do with him. I guess we didn't really get a chance to investigate the crime scene before Tara showed up, but I'm not sure it'd be wise for us to check back in there at this point, in case someone noticed her or us hanging around there before. But it's also about all I can think of right now. What about you two?"
Yuki
 player, 53 posts
Thu 5 Sep 2019
at 17:46
Re: I: Springfield by Night
Yuki disappears back into the darkest depths of the back seat, her voice drifting out of the shadows. "Hey, you've heard my idea."
Storyteller
 GM, 51 posts
Tue 10 Sep 2019
at 08:26
Re: I: Springfield by Night
"Riddles? Lancelot's mystery girl? Goddamn werewolves?!?"

Leonard shakes his head, taking a deep breath to calm himself after his outburst. His grip is still tight on the wheel, but when he talks again he seems calmer. "What do you mean by mystery girl, and riddles?"