1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)   Posted by MC Bob.Group: 0
Crick
 character, 1 post
 The Savvyhead
Sat 23 Mar 2019
at 05:43
1. A Peaceful Town
The Greenhouse's vents are open, and noxious smoke is coming out, which means that Crick's working on another attempt or two of his anti-Green juice. Well, right now it's mostly Carna and Thuy, wearing the best masks to keep fumes out they've been able to put together, cooking up the new recipes; Crick's thinking right now.

And by thinking, we mean opening his brain up to the psychic maelstrom; the Green's out there, looking for its chance to swallow Pax and the source, every two-bit bunch of assholes who'd rather break everything than put the work in to build wants what Pax has, and fuck if Crick's going to let any of that get the drop on him if he can help it. Sitting in his comfortable nook, well away from the contained environment holding his tree, his eyes roll back in his head as he lets down his guard and invites the screaming maelstrom in.


00:42, Today: Crick rolled 10 using 2d6+3.  Rolling+weird, opening Crick's brain to the psychic maelstrom.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:43, Sat 23 Mar 2019.

HeyHey
 character, 1 post
Sat 23 Mar 2019
at 22:14
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
HeyHey is engaging in their normal morning routine - which is to say, snuffling around the edges and alleys of the marketplace with the other strays, listening to the edge of nerves in the rumble of voices, and dodging kicks from some of the more ill-tempered of the traders.

They're drawn to the sound of raised voices, as a discussion about the price of salted 'pork' edges towards the line separating aggressive haggling and plain aggression. Angry people are distracted people, and distracted people don't always immediately notice when things 'fall off' their jeep.

HeyHey slinks behind the arguing pair, keeping a weather eye on them before snatching one of the parcels and bolting, hopefully undetected.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:26, Sat 23 Mar 2019.

Azure
 character, 1 post
Sat 23 Mar 2019
at 22:15
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
In reply to MC Bob (msg # 1):

Shes not going to get up early unless she has to, though heat, and humidity will driver he from bed to morning ritual, first a sand bath to deal with the worst of things, a good brush down and some toweling to get the sad off then a moist cloth for follow up. some fusing with her hair to make sure everything is in place. She collects her shotgun, and her bladed staff and heads out.

  Her first stop in looking for trouble today is going to be the main hub for paxtons men, see if they found anything interesting today, other then trying to find out how heyhey keeps getting into everywhere.
MC Bob
 GM, 15 posts
 Barf forth apocalyptica
Sat 23 Mar 2019
at 22:40
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
Crick
The Maelstrom pours eagerly into your open mind, ready to give you the information you desire.  But first, what is that like for you?  How do you experience the world's psychic Maelstrom?

HeyHey
Taco has been hauling meat here from Hogtown for years, and he's always been a rotten customer.  But the taste of a bit of pork is enough to force folk to interact with him as politely as they can, and accept his extortionate prices.  Though he manages to pick at least one fight every time he's here.  He's a great fat man, shirtless and sunburned, with a battered straw hat that shades his eyes, and a big revolver tucked into his chainlink belt, to discourage bandits.

The meat is poorly wrapped, dripping warm, reeking juices on your hands as you grab it and bolt away.  Roll+Cool to act under fire, and the fire is whether you can really get away with this without the Hogtown trader noticing.


Azure
The best place to look for Paxton's people is their little stronghold.  Away from the bustle of the marketplace, with easy access to the Burnway, it sits like a squat little fortress of sheet metal and barbed wire.

Welch is on guard today, sitting under the shade of a tattered canvass canopy, leaning way back in his chair, sawed-off shotgun resting across his lap.  The ugly little man sneers as you approach.  He's never much liked you, never much trusted you.  "Fuck off, Azure," he says, spitting on the dusty ground at your feet.  I don't think he's going to let you in.



This message was last edited by the GM at 22:58, Sat 23 Mar 2019.

Azure
 character, 2 posts
Sat 23 Mar 2019
at 23:17
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
In reply to MC Bob (msg # 5):

  Ah is that anyway to treat a friend of Paxtons Welch, I mean i know telling people to fuck off is the only fucking you get to do, but really think he will be happy with you turning away help errrm?
MC Bob
 GM, 16 posts
 Barf forth apocalyptica
Sat 23 Mar 2019
at 23:40
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
Azure
"I said fuck off, Azure," Welch snarls.  He leans forward, hand on his shotgun, planting the feet of his chair firmly back on the ground.  "The old man's got plenty of help.  We don't need stuck-up mercenary fuckjobs like you coming around trying to tell us our business.  Go jump in the Green with the rest of the slugs."
Azure
 character, 3 posts
Sun 24 Mar 2019
at 00:05
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
In reply to MC Bob (msg # 7):

  Shes got her hands away from her weapons for now "Ah Welch, you wouldn't be thinking of using that double barrel on me now would you, for just standing here talking, might make me think a girl has to defend her self. Though if your aiming to try and use that, you might want to stand up, I wouldn't want any bad rumors going around bout me and picking on people sitting down. Now, I'm here to see Paxton, somethings going on, I can feel it, and if you haven't noticed then you better start, and were would you like me if trouble turns nasty, out there, or somewhere paxton can count on?"
MC Bob
 GM, 17 posts
 Barf forth apocalyptica
Sun 24 Mar 2019
at 00:16
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
Azure
Welch spits again, a brown, fetid lump of chew that splats into the dry dirt, instantly drying in the baking sun.  "I'd rather you were in a hole in the ground, that's what I'd rather."  He smiles, showing yellow, rotten teeth.  "I'm just following orders.  I was told not to let anyone in.  Ain't nobody said you were an exception."  He gestures with his gun.  "Now fuck off, or we'll see how fancy your words are with a big old hole in your head."
Azure
 character, 4 posts
Sun 24 Mar 2019
at 00:27
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
In reply to MC Bob (msg # 9):

  "And this is why you get the important jobs Welch, ill be sure to let him know what a good job your doing" She turns to walk away, shes not going to stir up a fight here with one of his men, instead shes going to head for the market and see what trouble is brewing!
HeyHey
 character, 2 posts
Sun 24 Mar 2019
at 00:38
Re: 1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
MC Bob:
HeyHey
Taco has been hauling meat here from Hogtown for years, and he's always been a rotten customer.  But the taste of a bit of pork is enough to force folk to interact with him as politely as they can, and accept his extortionate prices.  Though he manages to pick at least one fight every time he's here.  He's a great fat man, shirtless and sunburned, with a battered straw hat that shades his eyes, and a big revolver tucked into his chainlink belt, to discourage bandits.

The meat is poorly wrapped, dripping warm, reeking juices on your hands as you grab it and bolt away.  Roll+Cool to act under fire, and the fire is whether you can really get away with this without the Hogtown trader noticing.


18:54, Today: HeyHey rolled 6 using 2d6+1 with rolls of 4,1.
MC Bob
 GM, 18 posts
 Barf forth apocalyptica
Sun 24 Mar 2019
at 00:45
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
Crick
You open your brain to the Maelstrom, and the Maelstrom pours in.  A thousand neon vines of electric light slide slickly through your skull, wrapping through and around your brain.  A mossy heat fills your soul, the damp, thick smell of life enveloping and overwhelming you.  You stand alone on a hilltop, your many limbs reaching towards the blessed sun.  You crawl through deep tunnels beneath the earth, alert to threats, ready for attack.  You're dead for days now, lying in the loam in some forgotten corner, but still full of life, maggots crawling beneath your skin, your body bloating with the gasses of a billion bacteria.  All alive.  All made of the same luminous silken threads.  All connected.

You know, without knowing how you know.  Splendor is coming to take your tree.  The keeper of the Source's garden has coveted your tree for so long.  A pure, unpolluted tree.  Untouched by the Apocalypse.  Untainted by the Green.  It belongs with the Source.  It belongs in her garden.  It haunts and consumes her.

Splendor has tried to get the tree from you before, many times.  She's tried to convince you.  She's tried to pay you.  Always you've refused.  Now she's planning to take it from you.  With the jingle she would have paid you for the tree, she's found hard men to do the deed.  She's only waiting for the right opportunity.  The right time.
MC Bob
 GM, 19 posts
 Barf forth apocalyptica
Sun 24 Mar 2019
at 00:52
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
Azure
"Yeah, you'd better run, girly!" Welch shouts after you, clearly very pleased with himself.


HeyHey
As you turn to bolt, Taco roars, immediately turning from his argument, his full attention on your thievery.  "Come here, you little shit!"  He moves fast for such a fat man, a meaty hand grabbing you around the arm, squeezing tight, hurting you and wrenching you back, nearly pulling your arm from its socket.  The meat falls from your hands, the packaging bursting open and spilling the sickly grey pork in the dust.

Taco shakes you hard.  "You little crap!  That's good meat you've wasted!  You'll pay for that!"
Paxton
 character, 1 post
Sun 24 Mar 2019
at 01:15
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
In reply to MC Bob (msg # 13):

"Now what seems to be the problem here?"  As Azure turned to leave she'd hear a soft, composed, even comforting voice...as well as very familiar.  Paxton appeared behind Welch, looking all the part of a kindly grandfather as he favored the two with a smile.


...But there was no denying the ice in the old man's grey eyes as they turned towards Welch.  He's got some explaining to do...
Azure
 character, 5 posts
Sun 24 Mar 2019
at 01:27
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
In reply to Paxton (msg # 14):

"Mr. Paxton" she will pivot, without seeming to stop walking, in a graceful motion back around.  "Oh welch here was just doing a great job of telling people to fuck off, great man for that job." the sweet level of cheerfulness in her voice is pure sarcasm "I was just coming by to see if you'd need more help, somethings brewing, people are on edge, figured you might want me somewhere handy instead of out there if something blows up, goes down, or other wise gets fun"
MC Bob
 GM, 20 posts
 Barf forth apocalyptica
Sun 24 Mar 2019
at 01:51
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
Paxton, Azure
Welch swallows hard, nearly choking on his chew.  "Just guarding the door, boss.  Like I'm supposed to.  No one said anything about Azure being invited over."
Paxton
 character, 2 posts
Sun 24 Mar 2019
at 02:05
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
In reply to MC Bob (msg # 16):

"...Azure's one of us.  It'd be in your best interests, I think, to respect that son."

The old man's smile faded for a few terrifying seconds before he turned his attentions back to Azure.

"You know how it is out here, nothing ever works out quite how you want."  He gestured towards his compound with his walking stick.  "C'mon inside if you'd like, we can discuss things."
Azure
 character, 6 posts
Sun 24 Mar 2019
at 02:34
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
In reply to Paxton (msg # 17):

"She gives Welch a grin then back to Paxton. Eh its fun, sometimes, boring others, and thank you, id love to come in and have a chat. out of the sun is always nice"
Crick
 character, 2 posts
 The Savvyhead
Sun 24 Mar 2019
at 02:56
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
"Well shit," Crick says, as he comes back to himself. Pushing up to his feet, he heads out toward the door. "If Splendor shows up," he says to the other two, "tell her she's fucking fired. Don't let her in, and don't let her anywhere near the tree."

With that, he heads out, towards the Source. Time to have words with Rainy Moss about what his people are up to.
Sade Daze
 character, 1 post
Sun 24 Mar 2019
at 13:24
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
"Ugh. Humidity." Sade tugged at the front of her shirt absently, trying to fan a little movement of air over her skin in the vain hope that maybe that would make the humidity more bearable. She was wrong, of course.

She sat at the transmitters' controls, absently swiveling back and forth. She wasn't wearing her headset, it was too hot to bother when they didn't have a live guest to monitor, but she could still hear the upbeat rhythms of the Golden Age that she was broadcasting spilling out of them.

She called the playlist "Good Times," and as tense as things had been lately she figured it was worth a shot to help ease tensions.

She checked her broadcast queue with a couple taps on the screen; marketplace announcements were in the feed, the handful of PSAs and paid ads lined up at regular intervals, all as they should be.

She looked down the short hall, noting Slate's foot dangling off the bed, right in the air stream of the small but mighty fan that was their precious defense against the heat. He'd run the night shift, as usual, appearing right on schedule to take his turn in the main bunk. They had others, of course, but "her bedroom" had the fan and a full set of blinds for the skylights. Being the good and kind soul she was at heart, Sade had agreed to rotate through those sleeping quarters with their shifts.

She spun her chair one more time, pushing herself up out of it and on her way toward the door. The queue was good for another four hours, and the backup queue was preloaded; time to go check out the market, to see if she could find out why Pax was walking on pins.

She left her heavy jacket hanging on its peg; it was too damn hot for that. It was almost too damn hot for anything, but she could hardly run around the holding without!

She pulled the door shut behind her, throwing a grin at the guard sheltering in a bit of shade further along the front of the building. "Stepping out for a bit, Jig. Slate got the chiller to oblige last night, there's some cold water in there when you need it."

With a small wave, she headed out toward the Marketplace. Maybe Dona was part of the scene today, she had good ears and good instincts...
HeyHey
 character, 3 posts
Sun 24 Mar 2019
at 20:54
Re: 1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
MC Bob:
HeyHey
As you turn to bolt, Taco roars, immediately turning from his argument, his full attention on your thievery.  "Come here, you little shit!"  He moves fast for such a fat man, a meaty hand grabbing you around the arm, squeezing tight, hurting you and wrenching you back, nearly pulling your arm from its socket.  The meat falls from your hands, the packaging bursting open and spilling the sickly grey pork in the dust.

Taco shakes you hard.  "You little crap!  That's good meat you've wasted!  You'll pay for that!"


The child shrieks loudly, feet flying and teeth bared as they try to land a blow and escape the large man's grip.

HeyHey rolled 10 using 2d6-1 with rolls of 6,5.  Going Aggro to escape.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:32, Mon 25 Mar 2019.

MC Bob
 GM, 21 posts
 Barf forth apocalyptica
Mon 25 Mar 2019
at 02:21
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
Sade Daze
The Marketplace is a wide open area with a floor of sand and dirt, usually either thick with mud or baked hard in the sun.  Today it's baked, spider-webbed with cracks, a few tufts of unhealthy yellow grass struggling to survive.

Usually this place would be bustling with vehicles, booths set up to trade wares and barter with each other.  Today it's half-abandoned, only a few sad looking trucks and carts open for business.

Dona, at least, is here today, leaning up against her busted-down old caravan, watching a fight brewing with the Hogtown meat-merchant across the square.  She looks up as you approach, lifting her chin in greeting.  "What's news, Sade?"


HeyHey
You can't inflict much in the way of harm with just your fists and feet (0-harm) but your aggressive display makes Taco shout in alarm, and he lets go of you, pulling his arm back out of harm's way, leaving you free to act as you choose.
HeyHey
 character, 4 posts
Tue 26 Mar 2019
at 21:32
Re: 1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
MC Bob:
HeyHey
You can't inflict much in the way of harm with just your fists and feet (0-harm) but your aggressive display makes Taco shout in alarm, and he lets go of you, pulling his arm back out of harm's way, leaving you free to act as you choose.


Freedom was all that HeyHey was after; as soon as their feet touch the ground they're sprinting away from the pork trader, and right towards Dona and Sade.
MC Bob
 GM, 22 posts
 Barf forth apocalyptica
Wed 27 Mar 2019
at 01:33
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
Azure and Paxton
Paxton leads Azure inside the shade and relative coolness of his compound.  The gang members that aren't out on duty are here, repairing armour and doing cleaning and maintenance on their weapons.  They may be small in number, but they take their work seriously.


Crick, HeyHey, Sade Daze
Crick's route to the Source naturally takes him through the marketplace, and he can hear the meat merchant Taco yelling and swearing, shaking his fist as the wild child HeyHey runs from him, straight towards Sade Daze and Dona.

"Thief!" Taco is yelling.  "Feral brat!"
Paxton
 character, 3 posts
Thu 28 Mar 2019
at 05:49
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
Beyond a few courtesy salutes there was little conversation as the two made their way into Paxton's private offices.

The room was small but not cramped, and certainly not lacking in  was small but well-appointed.  Not gaudy or decadent, but certainly not lacking in comforts.  There was even grate on the floor, gently blowing a current of cooled air into the room.

Paxton took a seat behind his desk before nodding towards a chair sitting across from him.

"Azure, I'm not gonna beat around the bush here.  I'm looking to hire you back."
Azure
 character, 7 posts
Thu 28 Mar 2019
at 23:45
1. A Peaceful Town (RP Thread)
In reply to Paxton (msg # 25):

She will take a seat a bit lazily. "I figured you might with how things feel out there, so what are you offering for my services errm?"