RolePlay onLine RPoL Logo

, welcome to Corsairs of Drinax

06:26, 24th July 2024 (GMT+0)

7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas.

Posted by StarMasterFor group 0
Viridian Starfire
player, 208 posts
Human Merc
Wed 7 Jun 2023
at 07:08
  • msg #61

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

"Ha-ha--that's funny, Rachando," Viridian replies. "Coups? Here on the Floating Palace? Someone going to shoot King Oleb XVI?"

His words were meant to allay any suspicions Rachando might have if he saw them emerge from the basement elevator. Viridian was pretty sure he had seen them--he seemed to have eyes and ears everywhere! Maybe even a nose.

"He's already in exile. Hmmmm. Some of the people do seem to be getting a bit more agitated... like they aren't happy with the King. But to actually do something about it... Boggles the mind!"

"So, let's say you are right. Any faction folk here in the Bazaar, other than customers? How about over there in the Stardock? Or Stardock command? Wouldn't want to leave an enemy behind us, now would we?"

Collyn Ramburton
Player, 157 posts
Solomani
6B788A
Wed 7 Jun 2023
at 11:03
  • msg #62

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

"Can we contact the Vultan? What about the Highport? Think it is safe up there?"
Rayjaynul Brown
player, 324 posts
Human, Drinaxian
3-9-6-C-9-4
Thu 8 Jun 2023
at 02:23
  • msg #63

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

Seemingly turned around by their time in the tunnels, Rayjay kept quiet but nodded along, clearly not as familiar with his home as he had once been. "I have my suspicions that our dear friend will tell us that shuttles to and from Highport have been delayed indefinitely until after a resolution to these coups." Rayjay suggested flippantly.

"But swaying hearts and minds may be good for our health and future wealth, after all we can't be daring privateers without a ship. Let alone one so grand as the Vultan." Rayjay added before turning to Rachando.

"Don't suppose you know where we might find the swayable masses?" He asked curiously, seconding Collyn's own questions.
Ghent Bel-Andis
player, 268 posts
Human Broker
C97E88
Thu 8 Jun 2023
at 13:58
  • msg #64

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

"Sounds to me like Admiral Wrax might be the one we need to slow down," Ghent finally said as he followed the group in silence. He rarely cared for local politics, however there were lines he didn't like crossed, and someone taking over the Vultan was one of those things. "I mean, sounds to me like he's the one who'd profit the most from the chaos if he hasn't already."
Collyn Ramburton
Player, 158 posts
Solomani
6B788A
Thu 8 Jun 2023
at 20:15
  • msg #65

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

"We need to contact the ship and find out how they're doing, or if they succeeded or not, and where they are so we can meet them. I think it's time to get back together! Viridian? Ghent? That would be up to you guys, you're in charge, I think!" He hisses in a whisper so as not to be over heard by bystanders.
Taliesa Dieros
Player, 22 posts
Vilani Fringe/Marine
Thu 8 Jun 2023
at 20:21
  • msg #66

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

"I've been trying to contact the Vultan," Taliesa says after tapping at her comm again. "There was no signal down in the UnderLinth... I guess unless you have the right frequency or authorization."

"Remember, too, that the ship was heading down to the surface to rescue the King... and that's one hellacious storm raging down there. Lots of ionization causing interference. And the Vultan may be on communications blackout until they know what the situation is."

"We're on our own. Teddy and Varca sent us here because they trusted us to get the job done. Admittedly, it looks like a lot different job now. So, are we up to it?"

She glances around at the others, at the Bazaar and those in it, and then over to the Stardock.

"This would be quite funny if it wasn't so fraggin' serious! It's up to this little motley crew to stop the coup! Not just one, but... what was it? 7? It sounded like most of them will collapse if the core ones get shot down. The others are just vultures--looking to swoop into the void and claim a fait accompli."

"We have a couple of advantages on our side... mainly that the Prince isn't here. Whether that was intentional or not, it sounds like his supporters may be acting on their own. With Wrax's support and some of the Hawk Warriors, though, that's a major threat."

"We also have the King. Status uncertain."

"However, the Princess seems to be missing, which means we'll be doing the same thing as the Prince's faction. Only we're going to do it better."

"And then it looks like we'll have to go to Asim to rescue the Princess! All in a day's work for the Vultan's crew, right?"

"And that brings me to two questions. Rachando, which faction do you support? You don't have to support Rao, but be forewarned--if you tell us you are and then betray us, we will kill you."
Delivered in an icy calm tone... no trace of humor.

"One way or another, we're going to Asim; that was our next port-of-call anyway. Ghent... maybe you and Rachando can rustle up some cargo to take with us."

"So, Rayjay... does that all sound like an accurate assessment?"


She wasn't trying to step on his 'authority' shoes, but it seemed as if they were all in pseudo-shock.
Collyn Ramburton
Player, 159 posts
Solomani
6B788A
Thu 8 Jun 2023
at 20:33
  • msg #67

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

"Rescue the Princess by ourselves? Just us? Uhhh, I didn't see you bump your head, and we ain't had that drink yet. How we gonna do that? We don't know where on Asim for starters where they are, it's a big planet, then throw in logistics and a ship. Captain has Vultan. Planning on taking Rachando and using his yacht?"
Ghent Bel-Andis
player, 269 posts
Human Broker
C97E88
Thu 8 Jun 2023
at 22:02
  • msg #68

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

“Sure, we can try to scrounge up some cargo as a cover story and attempt the rescue,” Ghent nodded in agreement when Taliesa suggested it; between the six  of them, they might have enough of brawn and brains to get it done. “Time to show us your stuff, Collyn. We might as well develop a good sweat and deserve those beers you offered, yeah? That said, your friend suggested the Dragon's Maw, Rayj, maybe we can get our ears on the ground before heading out…”
This message was last edited by the player at 22:08, Thu 08 June 2023.
Rayjaynul Brown
player, 325 posts
Human, Drinaxian
3-9-6-C-9-4
Thu 8 Jun 2023
at 22:26
  • msg #69

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

"Indeed, we do appear to be without transportation otherwise, unless our good friend wishes to stay here and see what terrible fate awaits those who didn't pick the winning team?" Rayjay asked Rachando, not expecting he would care to remain aboard the palace when blades and lasers started cutting the air. "Though honestly acting like nothing is going on may be even more suspicious than simply abandoning ship with what supplies we can wrangle, so to speak. Either case, I suspect that if we do find the Princess, we may put a damper on many a coup, though the Admiral might remain a threat beyond our immediate capabilities. But better one coup than seven, so long as the others don't immediately jump aboard his conveyor in turn." Rayjay said, speaking under his breath so as to not call unwanted attention to their little party.
Collyn Ramburton
Player, 160 posts
Solomani
6B788A
Wed 21 Jun 2023
at 22:03
  • msg #70

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

"I think we need to find a nondescript place where we aren't in the open, and make plans for what we're going to do next. We need to contact the Captain and Cdr. Varca too to see if they found the king yet. Any place private we can go Mister Rachando?"
Rayjaynul Brown
player, 326 posts
Human, Drinaxian
3-9-6-C-9-4
Thu 22 Jun 2023
at 00:51
  • msg #71

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

"Indeed... could maybe introduce you to the family. Or we could find lodgings instead?" Rayjay suggested helpfully, also curious how the old man was at this point in time. Probably crazier than most to be honest.
Collyn Ramburton
Player, 161 posts
Solomani
6B788A
Thu 22 Jun 2023
at 12:07
  • msg #72

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

"That sounds good Rayjay. Might make a good hide out until this blows over."
Viridian Starfire
player, 209 posts
Human Merc
Thu 22 Jun 2023
at 23:24
  • msg #73

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

His first impulse was to slap Collyn on the back of the head for what he said.

"I didn't mean just us, but the rest of the crew, too... so naturally when they got back with the Vultan," Viridian says. "But borrowing Rachando's yacht isn't a bad idea."

"Technically, we're already a week behind, so minutes aren't going to matter much."

"If Harrick has any kind of power base on Asim, the VIPs will know where it is."

"Besides, I thought we were going to stop these coups ourselves? Now's the time to do it... before any of them can get a foothold."

Rachando
NPC, 9 posts
Floating Palace Merchant
Wheeler and Dealer
Fri 23 Jun 2023
at 01:43
  • msg #74

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

"The two duty personnel in the control center are Rao's men. I wouldn't go so far as to claim them as fanatics," Rachando adds.

"The two Star Guards on duty in the docking bay are Harrick's men. Still, take them out and you control 20% of the Floating Palace."

"I'm not expecting any kind of running gunfight... Drinaxians just don't think that way."

Rayjaynul Brown
player, 327 posts
Human, Drinaxian
3-9-6-C-9-4
Fri 23 Jun 2023
at 14:44
  • msg #75

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

"Indeed, one could perhaps use a formal duel as pretense to subdue the guards, or perhaps spread a most vicious rumor that their patron's will not keep their vows could perhaps sway their hearts. Not that random violence wouldn't work, but it might also make the situation more tense and unstable. But mostly I just offered a place to better strategize than out in the very open. Though I suppose our good friend Rachando's vessel is just as good and closer at hand." Rayjay said, wishing the group would decide a more appropriate setting to plot and scheme.
Ghent Bel-Andis
player, 274 posts
Human Broker
C97E88
Fri 23 Jun 2023
at 15:09
  • msg #76

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

“Could your house be involved in the intrigues, or at the very least spied upon to find out? I’m not sure your ancestral home would be the wisest choice to keep things quiet, however the tradeoff might be better information,” Ghent chimed in. “Either way, I suggest you lead the way, Rayjaynul. I wouldn’t know where to go.”
Rayjaynul Brown
player, 328 posts
Human, Drinaxian
3-9-6-C-9-4
Fri 23 Jun 2023
at 23:03
  • msg #77

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

"Possibly, but we're only Baronets, so I very much doubt my family would be wrapped up in the intrigue, let alone spied upon. But given the message I received from my father; I can't say so with certainty either, after all I've been away from home for over two decades." He said with a shrug. His father might be more knowledgeable of the recent events, he might not, their home may be bugged, it might not be, really Rayjay had been away for far too long to offer any assurances either way, but he was willing to offer the option all the same. After all, what were the chances that Rachando wasn't being closely observed either?
Collyn Ramburton
Player, 162 posts
Solomani
6B788A
Fri 23 Jun 2023
at 23:11
  • msg #78

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

"Someone lead the way somewhere. We can't stay here. Viridian? You're in charge, please make a decision." Collyn is getting agitated at being hung out in the open, not knowing who is friend, and who is enemy.
Starwolf
GM, 65 posts
Tue 25 Jul 2023
at 00:14
  • msg #79

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

OOC: Please remember that, at this time, "GM Starwolf" has no more Access than any other Player.  Tho' I'm pretty sure if you Send Private Line to Starwolf, I'll see it, I won't see Private Lines between Players--so don't expect me to be looking over your shoulders for a while.  I'm working on it!
     StarMaster had established that King Oleb was so injured that he would have to spend "a week" inside an AutoDoc -- inside Vultan's AutoDoc, to be exact. (it seems the "salvaged" AutoDoc that was purchased on Palindrome is slightly better than the Imperium-made AutoDocs aboard the GeDeCo-run Highport; TL15 vs TL14).  The GeDeCo Doctors are adamant that The King's treatment remain uninterrupted, and they will not even allow a short "wake up" so that The King can make a statement confirming he's alive.
     Thus...


The King's Recovery:  Day 1
Planet Drinax, On The Floating Palace, outside Rachando's Bazaar


     Rachando--feeling confident that he's done his due diligence to assist the Special Servants of his good friend King Oleb--assures the Vultans that he will keep his eyes and ears open and let them know if he hears anything that might be useful.
(OOC: old navy tradition, members of a Ship's Crew are often referred to by a nickname based on the name of the ship--in this case, the ship's name is "Vultan" so the crew members would all be called "Vultans", or "a Vultan".)

     "Everyone talks to their good friend Rachando!" he enthuses, as he escorts you to his door and ushers you out onto the street, "With the Shuttleports being locked down, and comms off the Palace being jammed, I suggest you find a place to hole-up, for now.  Don't worry about letting me know where you are--if I hear anything ... I'll find you.  Now, Go In The Emperor's Grace and be careful!"

     This part of the Floating Palace is the Retail Bazaar, located between the Royal Docks and the Royal Apartments and Court Chambers.  The "street" is 10 meters wide, laid out and decorated to look like a stylish urban retail district--with strategically located benches near urns full of decorative plants.  Small snack kiosks are conveiniently scattered around.  There is a crysteel roof 8 meters abouve the street which allows a view of the sky abouve (or holograms doing the same, where there is no direct access to the sky).

Ghent Bel-Andis:
“Could your house be involved in the intrigues, or at the very least spied upon to find out? I’m not sure your ancestral home would be the wisest choice to keep things quiet, however the tradeoff might be better information,” Ghent chimed in. “Either way, I suggest you lead the way, Rayjaynul. I wouldn’t know where to go.”


Rayjaynul Brown:
"Possibly, but we're only Baronets, so I very much doubt my family would be wrapped up in the intrigue, let alone spied upon. But given the message I received from my father; I can't say so with certainty either, after all I've been away from home for over two decades." He said with a shrug. His father might be more knowledgeable of the recent events, he might not, their home may be bugged, it might not be, really Rayjay had been away for far too long to offer any assurances either way, but he was willing to offer the option all the same. After all, what were the chances that Rachando wasn't being closely observed either?


Collyn Ramburton:
"Someone lead the way somewhere. We can't stay here. Viridian? You're in charge, please make a decision." Collyn is getting agitated at being hung out in the open, not knowing who is friend, and who is enemy.

     As Rayjaynul is about to respond, he realizes that he's being watched.

    Across the street, there is a young man leaning against a building, at the corner of a side street.  He is dressed well -- who amoung the Palacers isn't -- wearing a common style of clothing that combines elements of high fashion with the rugged requirements of "work clothing".


     His hair is an almost-auburn shade of brown, cut collar-length.  His skintone is a Vilani-like "light golden tan".  While clearly the lad is, at most, in his middle-teens, he is a bit tall and lanky for that age.

     A mere few moments after the lad has caught Rayjaynul's attention, everyone else turns to look at the lad -- who has been staring straight at Rayjaynul the whole time.

     The lad--still slouching against the wall, as such youths are wont to do--grins and raises his left hand to offer a slight wave of greeting to the group.  Then, he straightens up from his slouch, gives the group a small nod of his head, indicating they should follow him, then he walks around the corner and out of sight.
Collyn Ramburton
Player, 163 posts
Solomani
6B788A
Tue 25 Jul 2023
at 11:33
  • msg #80

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

Collyn looks from face to face, with a questioning look in his face, he shrugs his shoulders and moves to follow, mostly from curiosity.
Ghent Bel-Andis
player, 279 posts
Human Broker
C97E88
Tue 25 Jul 2023
at 13:21
  • msg #81

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

"Hmph, some young noble trying to get our attention," Ghent said as he shrugged his shoulders. "I guess it can't hurt if we find out what he wants." He gave Collyn a nod and gave Rayj a look that could be interpreted as 'do you know that guy' before following his 2IC.
Rayjaynul Brown
player, 331 posts
Human, Drinaxian
3-9-6-C-9-4
Tue 25 Jul 2023
at 21:54
  • msg #82

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

Rayjay raised his left hand in greeting in return before following, puzzling over the young man's face, as he spoke in hushed tones to the others of his group. "He's wearing my family's crest... though I can't for the life of me remember his face." He said, torn between skepticism and embarrassment as he couldn't seem to place the face, till it finally dawned on him, his stepmother's children.

But even with that minor revelation he couldn't seem to remember the young man's name, which wasn't much of a surprise given that he left shortly after his father remarried. "My half-brother I believe?" He said wrinkling his brow as he struggled to remember their names from the few letters he received in the navy. "Amelie? No, she'd be older I think, and a woman. Francis? Maybe, but I thought he was older." He muttered to himself, struggling to remember the young man's name before he had to make an ass of himself before his kin and ship mates alike.
This message was last edited by the player at 21:58, Tue 25 July 2023.
Starwolf
GM, 66 posts
Wed 26 Jul 2023
at 05:59
  • msg #83

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

In reply to Rayjaynul Brown (msg # 82):

     "Close Family, huh?" Viridian chimes in, following along with the group, "Then maybe your Father sent him?  With a message too sensitive to trust to comms?"

     "No, wait, you said Half-Brother -- meaning your sibling but from your Fathers second Wife...?  Then maybe this is a trap, y'know, the new Family looking to wipe out the old Family...?  Succession fights can be like that, I've heard."

     As the small group of Vultans follow Rayjaynul round the corner and proceed down a smaller side street (5 meters wide, rather than 10) they see the young lad standing several meters down the street, waiting for them.  He gives the group a nod of acknowledgement, then steps forward into what looks to be another side street.

     "I called it!" Viridian whispers, sliding his right hand into a pocket of the light jacket he's wearing, "It's a trap."

     Cautiously now, the group approaches the corner, observing as you get closer that the turn doesn't lead into another side-street, but is actually an alcove set back about 3-meters-by-6, with benches and a potted shade tree for pedestrians to pause for a rest.

     The lad is standing there, waiting, with a nervous smile on his face.  This close, you all can see that he's wearing a VR Ocular over his left eye (OOC: think a half-pair of glasses, with a bridge over the nose, a largish "monocle" over the eye, then a thick "arm" that goes back and over his ear; i.e., a variation of the Personal HUD)--and it's clear, now, that the gloves he's wearing are I/O Gloves, linked to the Ocular.

     "Hello, Brother Rayjaynul." the lad says in a clear Palacer accent, giving Rayjay a rather formal bow of his head,

     "You probably don't recognize me -- as you'd left The Palace long before I was born.  I'm your brother Jaques, the youngest of Father's children..."

     Jaques' cheeks redden a little bit as he adds, "Mother sent me..."
Collyn Ramburton
Player, 164 posts
Solomani
6B788A
Wed 26 Jul 2023
at 10:52
  • msg #84

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

Collyn, who was a bit on alert after what Viridian said, visibly relaxed after Jaques introduced himself.
Rayjaynul Brown
player, 332 posts
Human, Drinaxian
3-9-6-C-9-4
Wed 26 Jul 2023
at 18:20
  • msg #85

Re: 7b: It's a Gas, Gas, Gas

"More or less." Rayjay replied softly while giving Viridan a questioning glance and refraining from commenting on the potential insult one could construe from asking about the strength of family bonds, particularly after he shared his conspiracy theory, which may or may not have merit.

Returning the formal bow in turn Rayjay embraced his half-brother before resting his hand upon the boy's shoulder. "Well it is wonderful to meet you at long last Jacques. Kandice did try her best to keep me informed on the family, but with how naval deployments are not every missive reaches its intended destination. Though I do hope dear Jenavieve is in good health." He said congenially before giving the lad time to inform him of his purpose, clearly not intent on holding the awkwardness of the situation against him given his age and relative innocence.
Sign In