Mission 01- Holdfast.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
Jaya Shea
 player, 22 posts
 Scumborn Argonaut
 Mesh Specialist
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 08:32
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.


"Present. And yes, I was defending myself."

She stood there as pleasantly as she could, given the circumstances. They certainly made one hell of a first impression...
GM
 GM, 78 posts
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 07:20
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.


"Civilian Janet Muscova, it is alleged before this board that at or about 05H22 you performed an unauthorized weapons discharge. I take it from your opening statement that you certify the record and that you plead not guilty by reason of defense? Hmm, very well, this Board finds that you acted properly. Dismissed."

"Board of Inquiry convened this 17'th day of January 11 AF, Major Williams presiding. Corporal Peter Smythe, stand forward."


One of the new arrivals prods forward someone in a full-body restraint frame (it even has little manacles for weapons tendrils) and sets him upright facing Williams. "Corporal Peter Smythe, it is alleged before this board that at or about 05H20 you contravened energy policy by creating multiple instances of your self, that at or about 05h21 instances of your self took control of reserves earmarked for Mech attack, that at or about 05h22 instances of yourself forced entry into Farcast Receiving striking a fellow of Holdfast with intent to cause harm, deleted an instance of an ego with intent to kill, that at or about 05h22 instances of you disobeyed a direct order and struck a superior officer with intent to harm. How do you plead?"
GM
 GM, 84 posts
Mon 11 May 2020
at 07:30
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
As you watch, events move on. You do learn Smythe's motive, it seems that Numen 'Killed the Snail Darter' (referring to an incident during the Fall when much of the storage on the Ark Too was deleted to make room for infugees, including many 'endangered species' genetic codes.)
He is referred for Court Martial, his compatriot (the one who actually recognized Numen) who claims (probably truthfully) that he wasn't expecting 'all this' but rather 'I dunno, we shun him or something' is reprimanded and released.

Leary takes his whipping.

This barbaric spectacle (the moment when the Executioner steps back to drag the Cat'o'Nine tails from his back with a series of horrible sucking noises will stick with you for some time) is worth 1d5+1 SV to any PC without Hardening:Torture.

The Court Martial follows, with a wincing Leary taking one of the judges seats. Smythe is convicted on charges of 1st Degree Egocide and sentenced to 'be reduced to a single instance and that instance placed in cold storage until such time as a polity may be found to accept you'.

Scercy shrugs, then nods to you. "Quite the introduction eh? Well, let us see if we can get you to your quarters without anybody else trying to kill you." She leads you off (without incident) to said quarters where she leaves you on your own.
Selena Ortiz
 player, 45 posts
 Nanotechnologist
 Neurovirologist
Mon 11 May 2020
at 15:10
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
OOC: Is it a WILx3 roll to resist the SV lost first, or just an automatic SV loss?
Selena Ortiz
 player, 46 posts
 Nanotechnologist
 Neurovirologist
Mon 11 May 2020
at 16:09
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
As the door to her own quarters slides shut behind her, Selina is grateful to be alone. Alone as one ever can be on a proto-facist hab like this one.

If synthmorphs could exhale, she would exhale. As it is, her metallic shoulders slump slightly as she recalls the slurp of the cat’o’nine tails. Selina routinely fragmented her ego into multiple instances and could reintegrate without much stress, but the horrors of the flesh still got to her.

She gives a cursory glance to the spartan guest room before she lays back on the bed palate, anchoring herself loosely with the padded velcro sleep straps. <Dim sensory input 65%>, she instructs her muse, <Ping the public mesh for active sensors in this room, and any evidence of stealth signals.> She would be monitored, she knew it, but there was value in knowing how.

It would probably be only minutes before her Firewall colleagues were in touch, but Selina would use the time for a brief meditation.


OOC: Assuming that since we’re guests we each have separate sleeping quarters here, rather than a barracks or dorm—but probably quite plain and small all the same…

10:02, Today: Selena Ortiz rolled 41 using 1d100.  Muse (Interface 40) to detect sensors/surveillance in the room.
GM
 GM, 85 posts
Tue 12 May 2020
at 06:44
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
Just an automatic SV gain.
Your muse does not pick up any sensors.

Caleb Nils
 player, 67 posts
 Ultimate Mercenary
 Codename: Scout
Tue 16 Jun 2020
at 14:41
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
Patty seemed largely unaffected by the scene, having lived in an Ultimate surrounding many, many times before she was used to seeing brutality waged on an Ego's body and sighed softly. At least they hadn't had to suffer any themselves.

Once they were alone she had her muse connect her to the group network and sighed softly into it++Well, so much for being non-descript. They'll be watching us now. Any thoughts on how to proceed?++
Selena Ortiz
 player, 48 posts
 Nanotechnologist
 Neurovirologist
Tue 23 Jun 2020
at 03:39
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
++Double down on our alter egos for the next few hours.++ Selina offers, ++And be as boring as possible.++

++There’s a lot of chatter on the mesh about “infiltrators”. Like you say Patty, the authorities are going to be tracing our every move, along with every infolife wanna-be journalist and detective looking to get morphed. If we keep it mundane, many of them will lose interest. Let’s just stay in our quarters and be dull.++

++Patty, why don’t you make a show of spending several hours filing an after-action report or something? That gives you an excuse to poke through the hab's news and faction files. Find out what you can about Greenwar and what other factions might be operating here.++

++I’ll work on getting our trade space up and running, and maybe interact with some clients. Let’s meet in 6 hours for a meatspace wander around the main market?++


Selina returns to what she was doing before all the excitement: getting her psychosurgery service running. She browses the psychosurgery subscription list for potential clients and investigates simulspaces for rent.
GM
 GM, 88 posts
Wed 24 Jun 2020
at 13:40
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
Selena finds (on a successful Interfacing roll [1hr/roll] that there is a long list of potential clients. First there are the Regimental clients, almost exclusively memory editing (usually of how they/their family and friends/their little dog died) and second the private ones, often 'encouraged behavior' but with at least some variety. The Regimental ones pay in hard currency (megawatt/hrs), the private ones in a bewildering array of favors.
Caleb Nils
 player, 69 posts
 Ultimate Mercenary
 Codename: Scout
Thu 25 Jun 2020
at 01:30
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
Patty nods, even though it's not necessary and smiles at Selena before moving his attention to the mesh and digging into the information and putting together an after action report with the help of her muse, of course. Multiple hours wouldn't be hard, with the mental speed running in the morph she'd also work on an analysis of how the MX 15 had held up under the short combat and examine it for any signs of deterioration or strain from it for the report she'd have to submit when they left.
Selena Ortiz
 player, 49 posts
 Nanotechnologist
 Neurovirologist
Thu 25 Jun 2020
at 03:43
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
For psychosurgery Selina/Gilly would need an ego bridge and a simulspace, preferably one with  a time contraction feature. Scerzy had said there were no public facilities and Gilly would have to fab the equipment. But it occurs to Selina that the hab’s re-sleeving facility already has the complete suite—everything she needs. The facility didn’t appear too busy. And the strongest lead they has so far was there, floating in a vat: Jaxom Hedley’s unoccupied Re-made morph. She might be able to get a glimpse of the logbooks to find when the morph was checked in, and what the ego’s destination was…

Of course, her every move in the facility would be clocked. Every diagnostic she ran, every mental alteration she made would be registered on the facility’s computers. She wouldn’t be able to poke around in subjects’ minds with abandon. But from the perspective of Holdfast this would be a positive—the paranoid brinkers would have the assurance that she wasn’t planting trojans in their troopers’ minds.

Selina takes extra time to craft a careful message to Scerzy, making the case for her use of the facility.



Selina will take 45 minutes to craft a careful email to the brinkers, petitioning for the use of the facility and clearly laying out the risks and benefits. Bonus of +10 or +20 (EP Core p117)?

06:27, Today: Selena Ortiz rolled 66 using 1d100 ((66)). Persuade (55).

Aaaaaand depending on the margin of the bonus that's either critical failure or critical success. 

GM
 GM, 90 posts
Sat 27 Jun 2020
at 07:22
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
Patty has no trouble generating a report and so far the morph shows no sign of deterioration. Indeed, response speed it slightly up, looks like it thrives on conflict. What next?

Gilly's request is turned down. Scerzy explains that the farcast computer (along with other 'external' computers that might be targeted by the Mech) is airgap isolated and ego exposure to it is kept as low as possible. The Regiment (read:the hab) has phycosurgery facilities which will be available on official contracts and there are private facilities available for hire or purchase on the mesh.

quote:
Scerzy had said there were no public facilities

Not sure where you got this from. It is, in any case, not correct.

Selena Ortiz
 player, 50 posts
 Nanotechnologist
 Neurovirologist
Sun 28 Jun 2020
at 09:17
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
Selina pings Caleb. ++How’re you doing? My work is going to take a while longer. If you’re eager to go exploring I could fork an Alpha into your ghostrider and come with you.++


quote:
Not sure where you got this from.


Msg #53: Scerzy seems to say we would need to fab the equipment. But maybe I'm reading it wrong. At any rate, no problem. Good to know there are a couple options to work with.

Caleb Nils
 player, 70 posts
 Ultimate Mercenary
 Codename: Scout
Tue 30 Jun 2020
at 01:51
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
Patty's head lifted instinctively as she was pinged, her eyes scanning her room even as her brain let her know that she was clearly being spoken to over her mesh inserts and there was nothing to see.

Sighing she started to check her weapons over as she replied++I don't have a ghost rider module in this morph. I didn't get to choose all the mods I wanted. Can you not fork into your own ghostrider and let it handle the admin while you walk around with me?++
Selena Ortiz
 player, 52 posts
 Nanotechnologist
 Neurovirologist
Wed 1 Jul 2020
at 03:49
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
OOC: Selina will take the following actions. She will spend whatever time is necessary to earn a +30 bonus on her Research roles. With her Mental Speed augmentation hopefully this will not take too long. She will make an Alpha fork to carry out the work if possible, and join Caleb as soon as she can.


Selina is conscious that her mesh searches may be tracked by any number of lurkers, so she sets up a large volume of simultaneous queries on the public mesh to act as a smoke screen: she scans reams of history files, news feeds and social media postings; she downloads volumes of Psychosurgery Today and regimental regulations on behavioural modification.

Hopefully, the thick datastream would give the impression of preparatory work for a legitimate psychosurgery service. Into the large volume of queries she slips the following searches for information on the public mesh:

  1. An overview of factions and sub-groups on Holdfast, including Greenwar and others.
  2. Headly’s online/social media activity in the days before his disappearance.
  3. Public spimes that would track Hedly’s physical movements in the days before his disappearance.
  4. Hedly’s service record and unit affiliations.

Finally, as her last action, she runs a cross-comparison of Hedly’s movements and affiliations against the list of waiting psychosurgery clients. Her goal is to find potential psychosurgery clients who had contact with Hedly in the days leading up to his disappearance. If she could get them into the surgical suite she could access their memories, and might find clues to Hedly’s whereabouts.


Research (55)+30= 85
06:35, Today: Selena Ortiz rolled 87 using 1d100 ((87)). (Faction research).
06:36, Today: Selena Ortiz rolled 75 using 1d100 ((75)). (Headly Social media research).
06:37, Today: Selena Ortiz rolled 83 using 1d100 ((83)). (Headly spimes research).
06:38, Today: Selena Ortiz rolled 22 using 1d100 ((22)).(Headly service record research).
06:39, Today: Selena Ortiz rolled 52 using 1d100 ((52)). (psy client cross-comparison).

This message was last edited by the player at 03:51, Wed 01 July 2020.

GM
 GM, 92 posts
Thu 2 Jul 2020
at 13:12
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
0)Selena, very organized, but please re-read post #35.

1)Your faction research is unsuccessful. Factions here are the Traditionalists, Conservatives and the Cypherpunks but this means little to you and the faction mission statements are the usual bland nonsense. Greenwar is not mentioned except in relation to the recent incident (should we be paying more attention to the actual loyalties of the members of these fringe groups?).

2) See 0)

3) See 0)

4) Hedly is directly under the C3(communications), Col Anson. His branch is EW.
Selena Ortiz
 player, 53 posts
 Nanotechnologist
 Neurovirologist
Thu 2 Jul 2020
at 14:30
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
OOC: Very sorry, but #35 doesn't give me the information I was searching for: what activities was Hedly doing in the days before his disappearance, where did he go and who was he talking to?
GM
 GM, 93 posts
Tue 7 Jul 2020
at 11:07
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
Okay, his activities were normal for him. Office work, program writing, training. A bit of a hurried finish on some projects because he was taking leave.

What he was saying is Infosec not Interfacing, but that will just cost you some time.
There is a flurry of messages just before he goes which you can piece together (it helps that other people have recently done the same thing). They are all much of a muchness.
"Hey, got a ping from your Partner to say you are taking personal time. You okay? What about my project? When can you do it?"
"I am fine, just taking some time for myself. All projects can expect up to a two week delay, sorry."

Nowhere does he say "So, taking time off for my SECRET CONSPIRACY OF at INSERT LOCATION HERE."
Selena Ortiz
 player, 54 posts
 Nanotechnologist
 Neurovirologist
Wed 8 Jul 2020
at 04:17
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
Selina pings Caleb, ++Yeah, let's go for a stroll. I've got some info coming in from my search queries. I'll update you as we go. Meet me outside my quarters?++
Caleb Nils
 player, 71 posts
 Ultimate Mercenary
 Codename: Scout
Wed 8 Jul 2020
at 23:35
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
++Roger Wilco, give me ten minutes++

The motly colored morph took exactly that long to get equipped and ready and turn up outside of Selena's door, tentacles twitching, her young body already very antsy but she smiled up at Selena.

++I've been thinking, we know that our target went to the morphing center. His morph is there, it seems like he might have sent his ego somewhere. Can we get information from the various transmission agencies to see who could have sent him somewhere? If we can't find a transmission of his Ego going on 'vacation' then we need to start considering his Ego has been Ego-napped.++
Selena Ortiz
 player, 55 posts
 Nanotechnologist
 Neurovirologist
Thu 9 Jul 2020
at 04:05
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
The Synth floats out of her quarters and grasps ahold of one of the hanger straps in the Gold Lane. ++Hedley checked in his morph a little over two weeks ago. And he signed out a Regimental Basic, listing his destination as HNMT003. HNMT003 is Holdfast Non-Military Transport # 3. It’s a short range shuttle. Holdfast uses it for cargo and people swaps between  the neighbouring habs. I don’t know where he took the shuttle. But it only has a two-week duration on fuel and supplies…++ Travelling hand-over-hand, like a brachiating ape, she starts on her way down to the main concourse. ++We could track it if we could access the station's radar logs…++

As the pair make their way together, Selina summarises the clues so far:

++He doesn’t leave anything too unusual in his trail before he left the station. Movement and activities normal in the days leading up to his departure. It’s clear he wrapped-up his work quite quickly before taking leave. Somewhat rushed. For a squared-away soldier like Hedley, that makes me think his leave was unexpected. All his projects are on hold, and he’s told people to expect a two-week delay.++

++We could talk to some of Hedley’s friends and colleagues. He has a partner. I’m not sure if the partner is still here on the station or if they went with him in a ghost rider—the logs don’t give any indication if that’s the case. Hedley’s commanding officer is Colonel Anson, head of C3: Communications. Hedley is in Electronic Warfare.++

 ++Someone else has been sniffing around too. We’re not the only ones interested in his whereabouts.++

++I didn’t get much on the factions here. But it’s not all unity and comradeship. There are competing interests. Greenwar is just a fringe faction of ecologists. They took out The Numen because he overwrote a bunch of animal genetic code in order to upload transhuman egos, right? But how did they know it was The Numen? How did they get that info? Any faction that takes out a hab’s first-ever guests in the first hour… that’s a black mark that won’t go away. Political suicide. So why do it? Who's pulling their strings? ++

++And if they could strip The Numen’s cover ID so easily, well, it makes me worry what’s the point of keeping up the facade of our cover identities?++

++There’s one other thing that unsettles me: 12% of the station’s energy budget goes to something called “The Nursery”. It seems like a lot for a body-shop. You don’t need that much energy to vat-grow morphs, unless you’re doing it on a massive scale. So what’s happening there? Are they growing an army? ++

++In terms of where to go next, if I could get someone from Hedly’s circle into a psychosurgery suite I could get a look at their memories and maybe pick up some leads that way. That’s slow and careful. Another option is to hack the radar log or just burgle his quarters looking for clues. That’s high-risk but fast. The middle path is probably to ask around. But people are going to wonder why some visiting merchants are showing so much interest in Hedley—we’re not even supposed to know about him.++


She stops and turns to the smaller morph, ++Maybe you could ask for a tour of the facility and see what you can learn from Hedly’s company…++



OOC: Sorry for the info dump. But I think that is a summary of all the clues so far. Let me know if I've missed anything!

This message was last edited by the player at 06:40, Thu 09 July 2020.

Caleb Nils
 player, 72 posts
 Ultimate Mercenary
 Codename: Scout
Wed 15 Jul 2020
at 01:38
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
Patty's extra limbs make moving down the concourse relatively easy, but she leaves one tendril free to steady Selena if need be, the other had shown herself to be less steady in the low gravity and Patty didn't want to draw anymore attention to them than they already had.

A steady stream of information flowed through to Patty and she nodded unconsciously, mental speed helping her digest and sort it as quickly as it arrived++Greenwar was particularly vicious and their ease of seeing through our covers was rather..scary...but what we can't do now is kneejerk and react. If they think we had one infiltrator in our midst they may be watching us but less interested after wiping him out. I think the most important thing is to remember our purpose, not our real purpose but our cover purpose...we need to set up shop and sell what we came to sell, hopefully at a tidy profit, that will allow us to ask questions about the situations and the politics to try and get a better lay of the land.++

She turned and smiled at the synth++Let's do a little of column A a little of column B? I figure if we can start working on your psychosurgery, selling of the things we brought and in the meantime I'll act like what I am, an ultimate, I'll train, I'll ask questions about the local fighting forces and other things. There is a very real chance these people are growing an army an army to fight the bad guys...but it's the perfect kind of place to try and take over, imagine them with an army made for fighting them.....we'd be in big trouble and so would everyone on the Outer rim.++
Selena Ortiz
 player, 56 posts
 Nanotechnologist
 Neurovirologist
Sat 18 Jul 2020
at 09:05
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
Selena nods. ++That sounds like a plan and a working hypothesis.++

"There are a couple of simulspaces I want to check-out. Once we rent one I can start running psychosurgery," she says out-loud, "The sooner the better. Time is money. Why don't we look at those first, and then maybe get you something to eat in the main bazaar?"
Caleb Nils
 player, 73 posts
 Ultimate Mercenary
 Codename: Scout
Sat 18 Jul 2020
at 12:17
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
Patty slid the tendril out and it circled around the Synth's wrist,"That sounds good...I always enjoy eating when I can. You don't need to eat though? You just going to watch or you had it modified?"
Selena Ortiz
 player, 57 posts
 Nanotechnologist
 Neurovirologist
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 06:47
Re: Mission 01- Holdfast.
The Synth shrugs and raps metal knuckles against a metal tummy. "Electricity is all I'll eat today."

Traveling hand over hand, and with Patty's assistance, Selena follows her muse's directions to find the simulspaces for rent.