The arrival.   Posted by tomowitch.Group: 0
tomowitch
 GM, 13 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 04:45
The arrival
The closest big-folk village wasn't so far, it was just a couple of weeks of travel to the northeast. Tales of the very few travelers who happened to pass there told of a very small settlement. One place where nothing really ever happened, but it was a stop where you could expect to stock on provisions before taking the two week trek into a real city.

However, upon approaching, the place looked way too busy for a backwater village. In appearance, it didn't disappoint, the village looked less like a town and more like a collection of farms clustered close to the river and near a grove. What was completely unexpected was a densely packed camping site laid around the village, it was across the river, featuring a huge pavilion and at least fifty or so tents.

In the center of the village, there was a big barn painted with the runes for friendly and house with red painting. It was an odd sight, but it seemed that was the closest thing to an inn or tavern you could find in this place.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:36, Thu 23 Apr 2020.

Davik
 player, 5 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 05:01
The arrival
If you think a couple weeks travel cooled him off, you’re wrong. Half a month from the incident and he was still chucking fire bolts at trees while he flew past them. He would burn the entire forest down if the fire bolts didn’t cool on their own as soon as he flung the next one.

He hovered there, 20 feet off the ground looking at the village, wondering about the flags and emblems. He knew nothing of the big folk. He slowly levitated back down to the ground and considered how he would keep from being robbed or worse, kidnapped or worse, killed.

Davik shrugged. Curiosity had the better of him. “Scales so shiny, protect my heiny.” Casting mage armor gave him the confidence booster he needed to proceed toward the tavern in search for a grown up drink and grown up bed that he wouldn’t have to share.
tomowitch
 GM, 14 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 20:25
The arrival
When Davik descended, the young man in front of the improvised inn approached to greet him. "Hello dear sir, do you wish to have a drink before you move on to the battlefield? It is a few hours away and you could appreciate having a last drink."
Davik
 player, 6 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 20:40
The arrival
"That is correct, boy. I am Davik The Whitest The Third. You do not seem surprised to see a leprechaun. Do you see my kind often?"

Leprechaun was the gnome's word for noble gnome.

"How goes the battle, young one? By appearances it has yet to begin. I wish to stay here if you have a bed worthy of my head, and if you have extra provisions to spare I need them."

Cast friends to persuade, rolled 6 and 9.

Davik sighed, " I seem to have left most of my luxuries at home when I left in a hurry. I can pay you for the provisions."
tomowitch
 GM, 15 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 20:53
The arrival
The boy raised a hand in shame "Oh sorry for disrespecting you sir. To be honest you are the first one I meet. It is just, is hard to get surprised anymore" He pointed towards the tents. "They came since last week and have moved to fight a bit to the north. I thought you were with them. Most new visitors are with them."

He went and served a drink. "Take sir. We are almost out of it."
Davik
 player, 7 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 20:57
The arrival
The swill was strong and bitter, but Davik hadn't had anything to drink in several days and it felt good to have anything in his belly. But he was not prepared for the alcohol. The room quickly began spinning.

He tossed a gold coin at the boy. "I say boy! I'm ready for that bed, post haste!"
tomowitch
 GM, 16 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 22:03
The arrival
The boy panicked upon seeing the older gnome collapsing. He rushed to try to catch him. Meanwhile the world was spinning around Davik's head. He could clearly feel himself loosing all equilibrium. And then, the world vanished around him. He was all alone in the dark, completely outside of time. Or at least until a powerful light shone in front of him. Inside it, a faint figure began to take form. It was a human woman...

"Please don't be afraid."
She said. "And no, this is not a hallucination." She looked at Davik with pleading eyes. "You are the only one I've been able to contact, so forgive me for interrupting your life." She then got on her knees. "Please, honored traveler, I beg you, save my friend. He is so young, and brave, but he can't do this alone. He is not a warrior."
Davik
 player, 8 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 23:03
The arrival
With the lady on her knees they were eye to eye. He had grown up being treated like the villain by his family of "heroes" but knew right from wrong and knew that he would always do what's right. It wasn't even a decision he needed to make, he just did it.

"I'm not exactly a warrior myself, but if someone needs help I'll do what I can.

Now for some questions: 1) How many people have you tried to contact before me? 2) Would you say that your failures resulted due to their low intelligence? 3) You started with "No, this isn't a hallucination, which is exactly what a hallucination would say, so do you have anyway of proving this is real once I wake back up? Like leaving something behind that I'd take with me? 4) Who's your friend? It better not be that kid who gave me that awful drink. 5) How can I save him?"

tomowitch
 GM, 17 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 00:19
The arrival
The woman smiled "It is a great fortune that it was you the one I could contact, you are smart." she moved her hands and projected the image of a human man in his late teens, he had a goofy expression. "All at once, he is Sartyn, a cleric of St. Cuthbert. As we speak he is heading into battle somewhere in the vicinity of where you are. He is good hearted and is going despite he not being a warrior. Our master forbade us from taking part in this war. However Sartyn is so kind, he couldn't just stand by the sidelines and do nothing. I am on the way, I'm going as fast as I can. But I'm too far away." She expressed sadness "I need someone to go and keep him protected long enough for another friend of us to make it there. I'm sure the people in the town around you will recognize him if you project a small image of him like I did. That should be proof enough."
Davik
 player, 9 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 01:43
The arrival
Davik tapped his forehead, indicating he would remember it all. “I’ll do my best. See you when you get here.”


Now to get back to reality and put some food and water into his empty stomach before he fainted again.
tomowitch
 GM, 18 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 02:44
The arrival
"....Sir.... sir.... are you ok?... sir"

Davik came back to his senses, as slowly the world was all darkness again and little by little his eyes began perceiving light and noticing shapes.The boy was by his side shaking him and completely clueless at what to do.
Davik
 player, 12 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 03:10
The arrival
“Ooof. Sorry about that my boy. The two sides of the battle; who’s who? And if you have anything to eat and something non-alcoholic to drink.”
tomowitch
 GM, 20 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 03:28
The arrival
The boy moved to hitch some watered mead and a simple meal that was leftover from breakfast. "Here you have sir." He then looked around and continued "They came from everywhere, at first we thought they were only bandits, but then they started doing worse things, they say there are entire hordes of goblins, orcs and monsters."

"Then the prince came. He had with him armies from many places. Dwarves, elves and soldiers of two entire countries. They camped here, and this morning they moved forward to attack the fortress of the horde. They said that if the horde wins things will get worse for everybody and the town will be gone in a fortnight. Mister Damaris left with them to fight by their side."
Davik
 player, 13 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 05:44
The arrival
Davik ate up greedily. “Don’t worry my boy. All will be well. I happen to particularly hate goblins. I happen to be a prince myself. I haven’t eaten in a fortnight, but once I’m done I’ll...figure something out.”

And still without a plan, Davik headed toward the good guys’ camp and told the very first soldier, “I am Davik The Whitest The Third. Take me to your leader.”
tomowitch
 GM, 21 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 21:30
The arrival
One of the soldiers approached Davik, and looking at him, he noticed he was indeed important enough to warrant not being ignored. "The Prince, I mean the great Marshal and the Viscount are on the offensive and advancing towards the enemy fortress. We are just a squad left behind to protect the village."

Sorry, today is a bit of a slow day

Davik
 player, 14 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 22:11
The arrival
Davik frowned and set down his backpack. He flipped it open and pulled out his Snow White barn owl Huntress. She was nocturnal and sleeping, but she was fey and not actually an owl, and woke up and stretched her 4’ wings.

“Find Sartar.” Davik told her, then sat down as she flew away. He closed his eyes and shared a psychic link with her, watching the battlefield grow closer as she flew toward the soldiers.

“Oh right, I should ask, where’s this guy???” Davik ended his link for a moment to cast an illusion of Sartar for the soldiers who were still standing there watching him.
tomowitch
 GM, 22 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 22:55
The arrival
The squad leader looked at the picture. "Oh, you mean the priest. He went with the Prince, he was by his side when the march began".

Meanwhile Huntress could see the five columns of soldiers advancing through the meadows. there were groups of mounted scouts advancing in front of the main force. In the distance there was a force of a few hundred bandits awaiting for the advancing army. Unlike the army, they held no battle standards and looked less organized. Suspiciously disorganized...
Davik
 player, 15 posts
Fri 10 Apr 2020
at 00:51
The arrival
"Thanks." It seemed like there wasn't enough time to get there before the battle began, and though Davik wasn't really interested in fighting like a soldier, it seemed that was the only thing he could do to save Sartyn.

He gently lifted off the ground and flew as fast as he could to catch up to Huntress. Flying with his eyes closed was always super scary, but he risked it to activate his link again and find out exactly where the Prince and Sartyn were.
tomowitch
 GM, 23 posts
Fri 10 Apr 2020
at 02:31
The arrival
Huntress found the center of the formation where the most standards concentrated. It was a couple of miles north of where Davik was. Huntress could with some work locate Sertyn. He was marching by foot next to a man on horse wearing a white armor with golden accents. Close to them there was a knight carrying a battle standard, and around more heavily armored knights.
Davik
 player, 16 posts
Fri 10 Apr 2020
at 03:27
The arrival
Davik did all he could to get there faster.
tomowitch
 GM, 24 posts
Fri 10 Apr 2020
at 21:37
The arrival
Davik was interrupted on his link as arrows began to pass dangerously close to him. The only thing preventing him from being hit was that he was flying at a prodigious speed. The arrows came from in a place in the West, where another column was. Unlike the other armies, this one was mostly composed of demihumans and monsters. And their numbers dwarfed the armies of the Prince, they seemed to outnumber them by two to one.

Reaching the area, Davik could find the army still marching towards the smaller contingent north. Upon landing he cause some alarm among the knights that seemed ready to fight at the first signal of anything unexpected happening. They moved their weapons to point towards him...
Davik
 player, 17 posts
Fri 10 Apr 2020
at 21:41
The arrival
"Urgent news for the Prince. I am a friend and fellow Prince, David The Whitest The Third." Davik said, tossing his staff to the ground and waving his hands in surrender, also flashing his fancy jeweled ring.

"Plus you really think I would land right in front of you if I were an enemy??? Quickly now, let me through!"
tomowitch
 GM, 25 posts
Fri 10 Apr 2020
at 21:44
The arrival
The prince was in the center of the formation. He raised a hand to order his knights to lower their weapons. After doing that he replied to the newcomer. "I'm Prince Thommel, Marshal of this joint operation. My Prince, what are the news? are the Gnome armies form the eastern provinces joining us today?"
Davik
 player, 18 posts
Fri 10 Apr 2020
at 22:19
The arrival
Davik bows to the prince, just barely enough to get it over with, but still kinda rude. We haves his hand at his staff and a spectral hand rushes over and grabs it for him and brings it back to him so he doesn't have to bend down and be mistaken for bowing any lower.

"Pppppt. Naw. I'm on a mission from god. I've got to make sure your Priest Sartyn doesn't die. Sartyn???? Where are you????"
tomowitch
 GM, 26 posts
Fri 10 Apr 2020
at 23:42
The arrival
Next to the prince marched young Sartyn. He wasn't very concerned at first, but now that his name had been mentioned, he reacted very defensively. "You are wrong my prince, I am here on a divine mission."

Prince Thommel didn't like where this was going and intervened. "There's nothing to worry your Highness. According to my scouts, the enemy forces are clustered in the north, we have enough forces to surround them and with any hope subdue them before we go and advance towards their fortress"
Davik
 player, 19 posts
Fri 10 Apr 2020
at 23:47
The arrival
"Nice to meet you. You are highly esteemed by your patron. St. Cuthbert, isn't that right? An angel has informed me that they will not be able to intervene or acquiesce your prayers this day. If you go into battle, you will be defeated."

Then his regal talk relaxed, "Well, more or less. They didn't say that exactly. I mean, if you get defeated St. Cuthbert ain't gonna do shit."
tomowitch
 GM, 27 posts
Sat 11 Apr 2020
at 00:32
The arrival
Without thinking too much on his words, Sartyn declared. "I can live with that. I'm needed here."

The Prince nodded at the courageous gesture from the cleric. "We all are ready to make sacrifices. Besides, as I told you, the frontlines in the north are likely to finish the enemy forces before we are even there. They are a menace, but all of them are a disorganized mass of bandits. As we speak they are going to make contact with the enemy. Then we will advance towards the fortress and it will be an easy siege."
Davik
 player, 20 posts
Sat 11 Apr 2020
at 01:15
The arrival
“I wasn’t told to stop you from fighting, but I gave my word that I would protect you. On the honor of Bawnsbane and Adamsburrow you will not die this day.” Davik confidently pointed at Sartyn, floating 3 feet above the ground for good effect.

Then he dropped his courage and waved at the other knights, “Can’t promise the same for the rest of you. But good luck.”
tomowitch
 GM, 28 posts
Sat 11 Apr 2020
at 01:53
The arrival
"Then I'd be honored to have you by my side". Sartyn said while smiling.

Thommel also smiled, he looked very confident as this meant that his forces had just grown.

Then the sounds of horns being played started coming from their backs. Those were distress calls. "These comes from the rearguard! How's that possible?"
Davik
 player, 21 posts
Sat 11 Apr 2020
at 18:23
The arrival
Davik yawned. He had done so much traveling in the last two weeks and now that he was distracted from his anger he was tired.

"Probably cuz they snuck around to the back. Duh." He was no military strategist. He often lost at GnomeRisk against his grandchildren. He closed his eyes, just to get a few winks in.

Suddenly he saw through Huntress's eyes...
tomowitch
 GM, 29 posts
Sun 12 Apr 2020
at 00:42
The arrival
The prince called for a stop to the march to hold counsel. "They are going to entrap us between their forces. We could rush our advance or turn back, but that will slow us down."

He finally made a decision. "Everybody, move to the northwest! Tell Erdan to move his forces to the Forest and await for a signal. Knights! We must rush to fight the enemy forces in the vanguard to buy time for the retreat!."

Sartyn had been marching on foot, but mounted on a horse. "My lord, if you want to join me, this is the time!"
Davik
 player, 22 posts
Sun 12 Apr 2020
at 19:48
The arrival
Davik tells his owl to return before arrows start flying and then hops up onto the horse. “Best we stick together. I don’t know much more than I’ve told you already, but I must keep you alive. Don’t take any chances, all right?”
tomowitch
 GM, 30 posts
Tue 14 Apr 2020
at 05:42
The arrival
Today was a slow day. Sorry.
tomowitch
 GM, 31 posts
Wed 15 Apr 2020
at 03:48
The arrival
Riding fast, both cleric and wizard approached the border of the meadow by a creek, there a group of five enemy soldiers awaited in formation. "Go for them!!!" One of them yelled.

ROll for initiative, if you roll better than 18, take your move

Count
18
Enemy 5 AC 12 HP 10
Sartyn AC 14 HP 23/23

14
enemy 3 AC 12 HP 12
enemy 4 AC 12 HP 10

9
enemy 2 AC 12 HP 9


3
enemy 1 AC 12 HP 9




Davik
 player, 23 posts
Thu 16 Apr 2020
at 03:10
The arrival
AC15 HP22/22
21 using 1d20+2.  initiative.
9 using 1d20+6.  chromatic orb fire.

Davik had never been in a battle before. He suddenly missed all his family, even if they always made him the laughingstock.

He tried his hardest to conjure the ball of fire, the same one he couldn't make at his grandson's birthday party. That seemed like months ago now. His mind wasn't focused, he forgot the right gesture, or said it the wrong way. A poof of flame was the only result.
tomowitch
 GM, 32 posts
Fri 17 Apr 2020
at 04:12
The arrival
The bandit at the far edge of the field shot a bolt directed at Sartyn  that gets incrusted in his armor (6 damage). Sartyn rode the horse at the closest one and attacked with his mace, but only swung on the flyby. However, the bandits took advantage of this and slashed at both of them on the horse (3 damage for Sarty and 4 for Davik)

One of the others felt brave and ran to be next to the horse, the last one aimed his bolt that hit Sartyn in the shoulder (2 damage)

ROund two
Count
21
Davik AC 15 HP 18/22

18
Enemy 5 AC 12 HP 10
Sartyn AC 14 HP 12/23

14
enemy 3 AC 12 HP 12
enemy 4 AC 12 HP 10

9
enemy 2 AC 12 HP 9


3
enemy 1 AC 12 HP 9


Davik
 player, 24 posts
Sat 18 Apr 2020
at 18:38
The arrival
Davik pointed his staff at bandit 3 and spoke the draconic commands that formed a crown above the man's head.

SPELL WIS DC14 or Bandit 3 attacks bandit 1
One humanoid of your choice that you can see within range must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or become charmed by you for the duration. While the target is charmed in this way, a twisted crown of jagged iron appears on its head, and a madness glows in its eyes.

The charmed target must use its action before moving on each of its turns to make a melee attack against a creature other than itself that you mentally choose. The target can act normally on its turn if you choose no creature or if none are within its reach.

On your subsequent turns, you must use your action to maintain control over the target, or the spell ends. Also, the target can make a Wisdom saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a success, the spell ends.

tomowitch
 GM, 33 posts
Sun 19 Apr 2020
at 04:40
Re: The arrival
The first bandit noticed Davik and redirected his efforts towards him, however aiming at him was harder because Sartyn was on his way.

Sartyn attacked the bandit that was next to them and grazed at his shoulder (1 damage)

The victim of the spell attacked his ally close to him (3 damage) which this one didn't take well. The bandit, however managed to shake the compulsion which prevented him from being manipulated in the future.

The bandit that had gotten next to Sartyn slashed at Davik (3 damage), and the last one aimed at the wizard, but didn't manage to hit.

Everybody had recognized on the Gnome noble the more dangerous foe...

Count
21
Davik AC 15 HP 15/22

18
Enemy 5 AC 12 HP 10
Sartyn AC 14 HP 12/23

14
enemy 3 AC 12 HP 12
enemy 4 AC 12 HP 7

9
enemy 2 AC 12 HP 8


3
enemy 1 AC 12 HP 9


Davik
 player, 25 posts
Mon 20 Apr 2020
at 22:39
Re: The arrival
Davik leaps from the horse at Bandit 1, trying to knock him with his staff but failing to connect.

Davik rolled 6 using 1d20+3.  melee atk.
I don't think it would have been a bad idea, its just a bad roll.

tomowitch
 GM, 34 posts
Wed 22 Apr 2020
at 02:40
Re: The arrival
The enemy farthest from the group aimed again at the cleric since Davik was harder to hit correctly (8 damage). Sartyn aimed true at the bandit that still was next to the horse (critical hit, for max damage)
The two scimitar wielding ones surrounded the horse and aimed at Sartyn with impunity, the first one wound him severely and the other managed to pierce his heart from behind. The brave cleric barely registered what happened before he collapsed and fell from the horse to the ground.

Davik's opponent lost time switching to a blade and failed to wound Davik...

Play by play, the Bandit 5 hurt Sartyn, then he managed to score a critical and mortally wounded Bandit 2. But then the dice were already on fire and Bandits 3 and 4 both hit him, Bandit 3 scored a critical hit and the resulting damage kills Sartyn.
Bandit 1 misses completely.


Count
21
Davik AC 15 HP 15/22

18
Enemy 5 AC 12 HP 10
Sartyn AC 14 HP --/23

14
enemy 3 AC 12 HP 12
enemy 4 AC 12 HP 7

9
enemy 2 AC 12 HP 0



3
enemy 1 AC 12 HP 9



Davik
 player, 26 posts
Wed 22 Apr 2020
at 03:56
Re: The arrival
Davik’s jaw dropped hard. He had failed.

“Oh well.”

Suddenly he disappeared and flew away.

He didn’t even know who the woman was, but he hoped she wouldn’t smite him for his failure. Still, wasn’t his fault. She could have given him some sort of magic or something.
tomowitch
 GM, 36 posts
Wed 22 Apr 2020
at 04:00
Re: The arrival
Going back to town? or pressing on towards the North? Still need to rest and recover...
Davik
 player, 28 posts
Wed 22 Apr 2020
at 04:03
Re: The arrival
Back to town to recover and wallow in self pity.