The arrival.   Posted by tomowitch.Group: 0
tomowitch
 GM, 13 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 04:45
The arrival
The closest big-folk village wasn't so far, it was just a couple of weeks of travel to the northeast. Tales of the very few travelers who happened to pass there told of a very small settlement. One place where nothing really ever happened, but it was a stop where you could expect to stock on provisions before taking the two week trek into a real city.

However, upon approaching, the place looked way too busy for a backwater village. In appearance, it didn't disappoint, the village looked less like a town and more like a collection of farms clustered close to the river and near a grove. What was completely unexpected was a densely packed camping site laid around the village, it was across the river, featuring a huge pavilion and at least fifty or so tents.

In the center of the village, there was a big barn painted with the runes for friendly and house with red painting. It was an odd sight, but it seemed that was the closest thing to an inn or tavern you could find in this place.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:36, Thu 23 Apr 2020.

Davik
 player, 5 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 05:01
The arrival
If you think a couple weeks travel cooled him off, you’re wrong. Half a month from the incident and he was still chucking fire bolts at trees while he flew past them. He would burn the entire forest down if the fire bolts didn’t cool on their own as soon as he flung the next one.

He hovered there, 20 feet off the ground looking at the village, wondering about the flags and emblems. He knew nothing of the big folk. He slowly levitated back down to the ground and considered how he would keep from being robbed or worse, kidnapped or worse, killed.

Davik shrugged. Curiosity had the better of him. “Scales so shiny, protect my heiny.” Casting mage armor gave him the confidence booster he needed to proceed toward the tavern in search for a grown up drink and grown up bed that he wouldn’t have to share.
tomowitch
 GM, 14 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 20:25
The arrival
When Davik descended, the young man in front of the improvised inn approached to greet him. "Hello dear sir, do you wish to have a drink before you move on to the battlefield? It is a few hours away and you could appreciate having a last drink."
Davik
 player, 6 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 20:40
The arrival
"That is correct, boy. I am Davik The Whitest The Third. You do not seem surprised to see a leprechaun. Do you see my kind often?"

Leprechaun was the gnome's word for noble gnome.

"How goes the battle, young one? By appearances it has yet to begin. I wish to stay here if you have a bed worthy of my head, and if you have extra provisions to spare I need them."

Cast friends to persuade, rolled 6 and 9.

Davik sighed, " I seem to have left most of my luxuries at home when I left in a hurry. I can pay you for the provisions."
tomowitch
 GM, 15 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 20:53
The arrival
The boy raised a hand in shame "Oh sorry for disrespecting you sir. To be honest you are the first one I meet. It is just, is hard to get surprised anymore" He pointed towards the tents. "They came since last week and have moved to fight a bit to the north. I thought you were with them. Most new visitors are with them."

He went and served a drink. "Take sir. We are almost out of it."
Davik
 player, 7 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 20:57
The arrival
The swill was strong and bitter, but Davik hadn't had anything to drink in several days and it felt good to have anything in his belly. But he was not prepared for the alcohol. The room quickly began spinning.

He tossed a gold coin at the boy. "I say boy! I'm ready for that bed, post haste!"
tomowitch
 GM, 16 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 22:03
The arrival
The boy panicked upon seeing the older gnome collapsing. He rushed to try to catch him. Meanwhile the world was spinning around Davik's head. He could clearly feel himself loosing all equilibrium. And then, the world vanished around him. He was all alone in the dark, completely outside of time. Or at least until a powerful light shone in front of him. Inside it, a faint figure began to take form. It was a human woman...

"Please don't be afraid."
She said. "And no, this is not a hallucination." She looked at Davik with pleading eyes. "You are the only one I've been able to contact, so forgive me for interrupting your life." She then got on her knees. "Please, honored traveler, I beg you, save my friend. He is so young, and brave, but he can't do this alone. He is not a warrior."
Davik
 player, 8 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 23:03
The arrival
With the lady on her knees they were eye to eye. He had grown up being treated like the villain by his family of "heroes" but knew right from wrong and knew that he would always do what's right. It wasn't even a decision he needed to make, he just did it.

"I'm not exactly a warrior myself, but if someone needs help I'll do what I can.

Now for some questions: 1) How many people have you tried to contact before me? 2) Would you say that your failures resulted due to their low intelligence? 3) You started with "No, this isn't a hallucination, which is exactly what a hallucination would say, so do you have anyway of proving this is real once I wake back up? Like leaving something behind that I'd take with me? 4) Who's your friend? It better not be that kid who gave me that awful drink. 5) How can I save him?"

tomowitch
 GM, 17 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 00:19
The arrival
The woman smiled "It is a great fortune that it was you the one I could contact, you are smart." she moved her hands and projected the image of a human man in his late teens, he had a goofy expression. "All at once, he is Sartyn, a cleric of St. Cuthbert. As we speak he is heading into battle somewhere in the vicinity of where you are. He is good hearted and is going despite he not being a warrior. Our master forbade us from taking part in this war. However Sartyn is so kind, he couldn't just stand by the sidelines and do nothing. I am on the way, I'm going as fast as I can. But I'm too far away." She expressed sadness "I need someone to go and keep him protected long enough for another friend of us to make it there. I'm sure the people in the town around you will recognize him if you project a small image of him like I did. That should be proof enough."
Davik
 player, 9 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 01:43
The arrival
Davik tapped his forehead, indicating he would remember it all. “I’ll do my best. See you when you get here.”


Now to get back to reality and put some food and water into his empty stomach before he fainted again.
tomowitch
 GM, 18 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 02:44
The arrival
"....Sir.... sir.... are you ok?... sir"

Davik came back to his senses, as slowly the world was all darkness again and little by little his eyes began perceiving light and noticing shapes.The boy was by his side shaking him and completely clueless at what to do.
Davik
 player, 12 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 03:10
The arrival
“Ooof. Sorry about that my boy. The two sides of the battle; who’s who? And if you have anything to eat and something non-alcoholic to drink.”
tomowitch
 GM, 20 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 03:28
The arrival
The boy moved to hitch some watered mead and a simple meal that was leftover from breakfast. "Here you have sir." He then looked around and continued "They came from everywhere, at first we thought they were only bandits, but then they started doing worse things, they say there are entire hordes of goblins, orcs and monsters."

"Then the prince came. He had with him armies from many places. Dwarves, elves and soldiers of two entire countries. They camped here, and this morning they moved forward to attack the fortress of the horde. They said that if the horde wins things will get worse for everybody and the town will be gone in a fortnight. Mister Damaris left with them to fight by their side."
Davik
 player, 13 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 05:44
The arrival
Davik ate up greedily. “Don’t worry my boy. All will be well. I happen to particularly hate goblins. I happen to be a prince myself. I haven’t eaten in a fortnight, but once I’m done I’ll...figure something out.”

And still without a plan, Davik headed toward the good guys’ camp and told the very first soldier, “I am Davik The Whitest The Third. Take me to your leader.”
tomowitch
 GM, 21 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 21:30
The arrival
One of the soldiers approached Davik, and looking at him, he noticed he was indeed important enough to warrant not being ignored. "The Prince, I mean the great Marshal and the Viscount are on the offensive and advancing towards the enemy fortress. We are just a squad left behind to protect the village."

Sorry, today is a bit of a slow day

Davik
 player, 14 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 22:11
The arrival
Davik frowned and set down his backpack. He flipped it open and pulled out his Snow White barn owl Huntress. She was nocturnal and sleeping, but she was fey and not actually an owl, and woke up and stretched her 4’ wings.

“Find Sartar.” Davik told her, then sat down as she flew away. He closed his eyes and shared a psychic link with her, watching the battlefield grow closer as she flew toward the soldiers.

“Oh right, I should ask, where’s this guy???” Davik ended his link for a moment to cast an illusion of Sartar for the soldiers who were still standing there watching him.
tomowitch
 GM, 22 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 22:55
The arrival
The squad leader looked at the picture. "Oh, you mean the priest. He went with the Prince, he was by his side when the march began".

Meanwhile Huntress could see the five columns of soldiers advancing through the meadows. there were groups of mounted scouts advancing in front of the main force. In the distance there was a force of a few hundred bandits awaiting for the advancing army. Unlike the army, they held no battle standards and looked less organized. Suspiciously disorganized...
Davik
 player, 15 posts
Fri 10 Apr 2020
at 00:51
The arrival
"Thanks." It seemed like there wasn't enough time to get there before the battle began, and though Davik wasn't really interested in fighting like a soldier, it seemed that was the only thing he could do to save Sartyn.

He gently lifted off the ground and flew as fast as he could to catch up to Huntress. Flying with his eyes closed was always super scary, but he risked it to activate his link again and find out exactly where the Prince and Sartyn were.