Dwarven Excavation.   Posted by Dungeon Mistress.Group: 0
Dungeon Mistress
 GM, 5 posts
 Game and the world
 games with you.
Thu 4 Jul 2019
at 23:33
Dwarven Excavation
     Following the crude directions on the notice, Aliana started out down the Miner's Trail to the southwest of Phandalin.  It turned south toward the Sword Mountains and the mines themselves.  She passed a few miners returning from their day, and asking for assistance they directed her to another trail that headed west along the mountains.  After about five hours, just as the sun was setting ahead of her, she found the canyon that held the ruins.

     The rocky walls rise to a height of eighty feet.  At the end of the canyon, a twenty-foot-high wall of black stone has a broken gate carved into it, with one stone door hanging precariously by a hinge and the other door missing.  Beyond this open gate, in the shadow of a great mountain to the east, lies a ruined settlement.  All is quiet.


This message was last edited by the GM at 03:51, Fri 05 July 2019.

Aliana Farwalker
 Elf Cleric, 7 posts
 Priestess of Oghma
 HP 9, AC 18
Thu 4 Jul 2019
at 23:49
Dwarven Excavation
Aliana had, to some extent, enjoyed her long walk.  Quiet hours in the library of her youth had allowed her to developed great patience for quiet times of relatively little activity, and she wasn't easily bored.  Still, the march through the rough terrain was a definite test.
She enjoyed chatting with the miners, always enjoying meeting new people.

At the ruins, she was alarmed by the condition of the door.  She drew her shortbow, nocked an arrow, and proceeded forward carefully through the front door.

OOC:20:31, Today: Aliana Farwalker rolled 14 using 1d20+2.  investigation.

20:31, Today: Aliana Farwalker rolled 12 using 1d20+4.  perception.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:31, Fri 05 July 2019.

Dungeon Mistress
 GM, 6 posts
 Game and the world
 games with you.
Fri 5 Jul 2019
at 03:38
Dwarven Excavation
OOC:  Good instincts on your rolls.  There is often confusion between when to make an Investigation roll and when to make a Perception roll.  I look at it like this:  Perception is when you're using your basic senses to 'perceive' your surroundings, and it doesn't always have a specific goal.  Investigation uses more deductive reasoning and problem-solving to discover things, and it should have a specific outcome or target in mind.

     Moving carefully through the 20-foot-high gate, Aliana saw the remains of a ruined settlement.  She saw the short remainders of exterior walls that had crumbled to almost nothing.  The path between the outlines had a few wagon trails leading out through the gate.  Off to the sides she saw the remains of a few campfires that may have been used a week ago.

     To the east she saw a partially collapsed, ten-foot wall of black stone with a ten-foot gap in the middle. Beyond rose a 30-foot-high temple facade carved directly into the wall of the canyon.  A large doorway was flanked by tall granite statues of cloaked dwarves.  There were a few steps leading up to the entrance, and a few piles of rocks at the base of the steps.  She could hear two dwarvish voices echoing nearby.

     "Maybe it has moved on, Brother?" one said.

     "I doubt it.  Thing like that would have the patience of stone," another responded bitterly.


This message was last edited by the GM at 03:50, Fri 05 July 2019.

Aliana Farwalker
 Elf Cleric, 8 posts
 Priestess of Oghma
 HP 9, AC 18
Fri 5 Jul 2019
at 04:32
Dwarven Excavation
OOC:  I'm thinking that Investigation is a bit like Search

Aliana looked around, trying to figure out where the voices were coming from and from what they were hiding.
"Hello??  I'm here to help!  The Town Master sent me!"
Dungeon Mistress
 GM, 7 posts
 Game and the world
 games with you.
Fri 5 Jul 2019
at 18:34
Dwarven Excavation
     Ahead, two dwarven heads popped up from behind the middle pile of rocks and looked back at her.

     "Oh?  Hello there, Lassie!" the redheaded one said, coming around the right of the pile.  He was tall for a dwarf with soft green eyes.  His clothes fit well but clearly hadn't been cleaned in a while.  He was holding a half-eaten apple.

     The other dwarf came around the left side of the rock pile.  He was missing one eye and was bald on the top of his head.  His mustache had grey at the corners of his mouth, and his beard was in two thick braids.  He had a few pouches and tools on his belt.

     "Dazlyn Grayshard," the tall one said, offering his free hand.  The other didn't approach and crossed his arms.  Dazlyn gave the other a smirk.  "My partner, Norbus Ironrune.  You say the Townmaster sent ye?"
Aliana Farwalker
 Elf Cleric, 9 posts
 Priestess of Oghma
 HP 9, AC 18
Fri 5 Jul 2019
at 19:44
Dwarven Excavation
Kayla nodded with enthusiasm
"Yes, indeed.  I was hired to bring word that there were sightings of a white dragon in the area.  Is everyone here okay??  What happened here??"
Dungeon Mistress
 GM, 8 posts
 Game and the world
 games with you.
Fri 5 Jul 2019
at 20:38
Dwarven Excavation
     Dazlyn's bushy brown lowered in confusion, but then his eyes brightened.  "Oh!  The ruins!  It's quite a story, actually.  We were prospecting for gold, see, and we came to the end of this canyon.  We found he gates you saw back there, and all this settlement here was covered in rocks from an avalanche," he said, pointing to the tops of they canyon cliffs, which indeed looked like they had shed some stone long ago.

     "I was certain there had to be something worth while under here, so I hired a whole crew and we spent the last few months clearing out all the rocks and going over the settlement.  Unfortunately, we found nothing but the bones of dead dwarves.  Once we got the entrance here cleared away, we dismissed the crew and decided to explore inside on our own.  But we ... Ran into a bit of trouble," he said, rubbing the back of his neck.  Norbus let out a slight gruff.

     Dazlyn guided Aliana up the steps and to the entrance to the temple.  "We got through the first set of doors and found a room off to one side, but it had partially collapsed.  We went through the next set of doors into an open temple of some kind, and got attacked by an orange blob monster.  We ran out and it didn't follow us.  It's been a couple of days and it hasn't come out.  We've been debating what to do next, as neither of us is really equipped to deal with monsters.  Y'know, if only someone could go in there and scout around a bit.  Maybe kill the thing?" he said, starting to ramble a bit.

     Norbus rolled his eyes and pulled something out of his pouch, stepping up to Aliana.  "Kill the beastie and you can have these," he said, holding out two polished stones the size of half an apple.  They both had a blue rune carved into them.



     Dazlyn paused, then nodded.  "Yeah. Sounds good. How about it, Lassie?"


Aliana Farwalker
 Elf Cleric, 10 posts
 Priestess of Oghma
 HP 9, AC 18
Fri 5 Jul 2019
at 23:46
Dwarven Excavation
Aliana nodded with a shrug.  "Well, sure!  I'm an Adventurer, and that's what we do, I suppose.  I'll go scout around and see what I can see.  Is there anything else that you can tell me about it?"  She also wracked her brain to think about what this might be.

OOC:18:45, Today: Aliana Farwalker rolled 19 using 1d20+6.  Nature.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:57, Fri 05 July 2019.

Dungeon Mistress
 GM, 9 posts
 Game and the world
 games with you.
Sat 6 Jul 2019
at 00:12
Dwarven Excavation
     Dazlyn rubbed the back of his neck again.  "Not really.  It fell from the ceiling and gave us quite a start.  Lashed out at Norbus with some kind of tentacle and just missed.  He's got a couple of holes in his shirt there.  I think it's acidic," he explained, motioning for Norbus to turn around.  The older dwarf lowered his gaze in annoyance, then slowly turned around.

     Aliana could see a splatter of holes at his shoulder blades.  If they were indeed acid burns, and based on the description he'd given, she figured it had to be some kind of Ooze.  They often resembled blobs that lashed out with acidic tendrils.

     The 10-foot doors were wedged open with pitons at their bases.  Beyond was a short, 15-foot dark hallway with an additional pair of doors at the end.  With the sun had set and no light was coming into the space.  There also weren't any sconces or torch holders on the walls.  To the right, a broken door revealed another room, but it was full of rubble that had collapsed from the ceiling.

     "Nothing in there!  We checked it before going through the doors," Dazlyn shouted, the two dwarves remaining outside the main doorway.


This message was last edited by the GM at 00:14, Sat 06 July 2019.

Aliana Farwalker
 Elf Cleric, 11 posts
 Priestess of Oghma
 HP 9, AC 18
Sat 6 Jul 2019
at 00:22
Dwarven Excavation
Aliana decided not to light a torch and moved forward, through the doors, looking around.  No need to alert more things than necessary.

OOC:

19:19, Today: Aliana Farwalker rolled 13 using 1d20+3.  Stealth

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:35, Sat 06 July 2019.

Dungeon Mistress
 GM, 10 posts
 Game and the world
 games with you.
Sat 6 Jul 2019
at 01:21
Dwarven Excavation
     Pushing the doors open, Aliana found little resistance.  Clearly dwarf-made hinges that were not exposed to the elements could last for centuries.  She saw an approximately 40x40-foot room with a 10-foot ceiling.  Four pillars were near the center, and one of them was slightly crumbling.  An altar was in an alcove at the far side of the room.

     A quivering blob of ooze was writhing slightly on the ceiling above the altar.


Aliana Farwalker
 Elf Cleric, 12 posts
 Priestess of Oghma
 HP 9, AC 18
Sat 6 Jul 2019
at 02:04
Dwarven Excavation
She decided to try to fire an arrow at the creature, before uses her spells.

OOC:


21:02, Today: Aliana Farwalker rolled 6 using 1d6+3.  damage.

21:01, Today: Aliana Farwalker rolled 12 using 1d20+5.  bow.
Dungeon Mistress
 GM, 11 posts
 Game and the world
 games with you.
Sun 7 Jul 2019
at 15:24
Dwarven Excavation
     Her arrow sailed across the dark room and struck in the side of the blob.  The creature winced, then the shaft of the arrow fell to the floor.  The tip seemed to have melted or burned off.

OOC:
11:05, Today: Dungeon Mistress, for the NPC Blob, rolled 3 using 1d20-2.  Initiative.
11:04, Today: Dungeon Mistress, on behalf of Aliana Farwalker, rolled 23 using 1d20+3.  Initiative.


     The creature writhed on the ceiling, small tendrils forming from it's body.  It barely looked injured at all.

OOC:

Order   Name      HP   Position
23      Aliana    9/9    D5
3       Blob     -6/?    D11 (ceiling, 10 feet up)


Mapping:  The left-most full square (first set of doors) is A.  The top-most full square (rubble-filled other room) is 1.

You go again since you won initiative.  On your turn you get one move, one action, one bonus action, and one reaction.

Move allows you to move your speed (30 feet/6 squares) during your turn.  You can move before or after your action, or you can do a partial move before, and finish your move after.  You can switch or stow your weapon for free as part of your move.  Make sure you let me know what square you are moving to.

Your action is usually attacking, casting a spell, or other things.  Most of your spells require an action.  Some require a full minute (10 rounds) to cast, and one spell takes a bonus action.  You can also use your action to move again.  This is called a 'dash' and lets you move another 30 feet.  Remember, the monster can dash too.  If you dash, you can't use another action, but you can use a bonus action.

Certain spells and abilities use your bonus action.  Right now you only have that one spell.

Reactions usually happen on other creature's turns, like an Attack of Opportunity, but some spells use it as well.

If you have any questions, just hit me on FB before you post. :)

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:36, Sun 07 July 2019.

Aliana Farwalker
 Elf Cleric, 13 posts
 Priestess of Oghma
 HP 9, AC 18
Sun 7 Jul 2019
at 18:50
Dwarven Excavation
Deciding to go for broke, Aliana cast Guiding Bolt, conjuring divine fire and hurling it at the monster.  After casting her spell, she backed away to the first set of double doors.

OOC: 13:45, Today: Aliana Farwalker rolled 13 using 4d6.  Sacred flame
19:24, Today: Aliana Farwalker rolled 23 using 1d20+4.  Spell attack

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:48, Mon 08 July 2019.

Blob
Sun 7 Jul 2019
at 22:29
Dwarven Excavation
     The bolt of divine light shot from Aliana's fingers and slammed into the blob with a shower of sparks.  The creature then fell from the ceiling and landed on the altar with a wet 'slporp!'  It continued to glitter and glow slightly from the spell.

     The blob shifted it's amorphous body down from the altar and across the room toward the doors.  It was not very fast, and could only cover a couple dozen feet.

OOC:

Blob dashes to D7.

Order   Name      HP   Position
23      Aliana    9/9    D5
3       Blob    -19/?    D7


     "Did you see it?" Dazlyn asked Aliana as she rushed back to the outer doors.

     "You think she shot an arrow and cast a spell at nothing?" Norbus grumped at his partner.


This message was last edited by the GM at 01:10, Mon 08 July 2019.