The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)   Posted by Overlord.Group: 0
Ellinor
 player, 2 posts
Fri 9 Aug 2019
at 23:44
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
"Hmm, thank you." Ellinor studied the piece of parchment for a few seconds before she nodded and carerully stored it away. "Well, that depends..." The young Samsaran cocked her head to the side. "Are you not going yourself because you have no one to take care of your shop or because there is some danger I should be aware of?"
Overlord
 GM, 70 posts
 Your world
 My rules
Sat 10 Aug 2019
at 20:21
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
"Yes, the forest can be dangerous and I am a little old for such excursions. There are monsters in the forest. A hunter went out there and was gored by a giant boar recently."
Ellinor
 player, 3 posts
Sat 10 Aug 2019
at 22:32
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
"Uh, I see." Ellinor grumbled. "I guess I'll have to be careful then... Can you tell me a bit more about those monsters I have to be wary of?"

Once she had that information, Ellinor left the shop and, once sure she was reasonably ready, headed toward the forest to look for what the old man wanted.
Overlord
 GM, 73 posts
 Your world
 My rules
Mon 12 Aug 2019
at 17:19
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
"The threats vary from mobs of goblins to ogres, dire animals, and drakes."

As you go out into the Black Forest following the shopkeeper's directions, make a survival or knowledge nature check.
Ellinor
 player, 4 posts
Mon 12 Aug 2019
at 21:32
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
Eleanor blinked a couple of times at the answer before she left. As she walked, she shook her head: she had been expected to learn about some small predators or something... Dire animals were bad enough already, but hordes of goblins and drakes? She'd have to be really careful to not meet any of those.

And to avoid that, she'd start with sending her familiar to scout ahead.

OOC -
06:28, Today: Ellinor rolled 16 using 1d20+9.  Knowledge [Nature].

Overlord
 GM, 76 posts
 Your world
 My rules
Tue 13 Aug 2019
at 22:08
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
You find the flowers that the parchment mentions. They are growing on a bush. However, the bush is covered in long, sharp thorns.

Make a reflex save to avoid pricking yourself as you pick the flowers.
Ellinor
 player, 5 posts
Tue 13 Aug 2019
at 22:13
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
Ellinor was quite pleased to have so easily found the flowers even if it was just a first step. She looked for a moment at the bushes, trying to see if she could safely get in but soon decided it wouldn't be possible.

Instead of taking the risk of being scratched though, she simply used Mage Hand to pick the flowers she needed.
Overlord
 GM, 82 posts
 Your world
 My rules
Wed 14 Aug 2019
at 16:11
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
The search for the ingredients leads you deeper into the forest. You find a cave which the parchment says is a good place to find the mushrooms. Your familiar is scouting ahead and warns you that there is a large wolf inside the cave.
Ellinor
 player, 6 posts
Thu 15 Aug 2019
at 13:49
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
Ellinor winced at the news. A wolf was, by itself, a bad enough news as it was, but a big one... Given what the old herborist had told her, that probably meant a Dire Wolf. Granted, it didn't change much as far as she was concerned: it only made a difficult task even more so. But still...

For a moment, she hesitated, then decided on a plan. First, she went back to a clearing she had found a few minutes before to sit and study her spellbook in order to prepare a Silent Image spell.

Fifteen minutes later or so, she went back in the direction of the cave, but not directly: instead, she made sure to be in the right position regarding the wind - the last thing she wanted was for the wolf to smell her - and picked a tree to climb into. If her plan worked right, the tree wouldn't be necessary. If it didn't however... At least from up there she'd be able to deal with the beast safely, wolves being terrible climbers and all. To that end, she picked a spot from which she'd be able to shoot the animal safely.

Once satisfied she had found what she needed, with a decent view of the cave and it's surroundings, she took a few things out of her backpack and started to climb, liberally using her Mage Hand cantrip to help set up the cord just right.

Then, making sure she was well in place, she gave a small bag to her familiar and asked it to go get some mushrooms as soon as the wolf left the cave. Some of them would be completely impossible to use - an owl wasn't the best herboristerie after all... - but hopefully most of them would be. With a deep inspiration, she then proceeded with her plan:

First, she cast Ghost Sound. It wouldn't be able to sound perfectly like a wolf of course, but hopefully, the cave's inhabitant would care more about the noise that what it was exactly.

Second, and just a few seconds later, she cast a Silent Image, well away from her and from the cave, an image that looked as close to a real wolf as she could get it. Her idea was then to have the image run away from the wolf - not too far from her that she would lose control, but not too close that the wolf would smell her. She hoped that the wolf would run after the image long enough for her familiar to pick enough mushrooms before the wolf returned to its cave...

OOC -
Choosing the right tree and with the help of the climber's kit, I'm hoping it's enough for me to climb by taking 10. If it's not... Well, let me know and I'll edit to roll.

22:41, Today: Ellinor rolled 15 using 1d20+9.  Knowledge [Nature] .
To make a good imitation of a Dire Wolf with the illusion.

I have a range of 520ft for Silent Image, so I should have enough room to maneuver... I hope...

Ghost Sound's Will save DC is 15 (though I suppose it doesn't really matter since it's still noise outside of the wolf's cavern), Silent Image's Will save DC is 16 but the wolf needs to physically interact with it to be able to roll.

Silent Image's duration is Concentration.

Overlord
 GM, 86 posts
 Your world
 My rules
Sun 18 Aug 2019
at 17:03
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
OOC: good strategy, I was expecting you drop it in a pit. Oh, and it was a worg (CR 2), not a dire wolf (CR 3). I want to be safe in case you decided to fight it by yourself.

IC: The grey furred emerges from the cave and walks off after the sound. That gives your familiar time to gather a bunch of mushrooms and get out of the cave.

You are able to safely leave the wolf's cave behind and find a grove of trees. One large tree in the grove has a purple moss on its north side, just like the parchment said.
Ellinor
 player, 7 posts
Sun 18 Aug 2019
at 21:17
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
Ellinor was mightily relieved that her plan had gone without a hitch, though she was... Well... Not disappointed that it had only been a word and not a Dire Wolf, but...

Before she left the area, she gave her familiar a treat and checked its harvest. Only once she was satisfied did she move away from the area to look for the last item on her list, the moss.

Once she finally found it, instead of rushing to it, she stopped: it seemed... Too easy. In no hurry to make a mistake, she looked carefully around, not forgetting to check in the branches of the surrounding trees, and sent her familiar to look around for anything amiss.

OOC -
06:12, Today: Ellinor rolled 11,18 using 1d20+4,1d20+10.  Perception (Ellinor, Familiar).
Grumpf, I haven't rolled anything above an 8...

I considered dropping the wolf in a pit, but with a duration of 3 rounds it seemed too short. Plus, I supposed a Reflex save wasn't something I wanted to target on a wolf...

Overlord
 GM, 90 posts
 Your world
 My rules
Tue 20 Aug 2019
at 01:41
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
Give me a know: nature check.
Ellinor
 player, 8 posts
Tue 20 Aug 2019
at 02:04
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
11:04, Today: Ellinor rolled 22 using 1d20+9.  Knowledge [Nature].
Overlord
 GM, 93 posts
 Your world
 My rules
Wed 21 Aug 2019
at 13:38
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
You recognize an assassin vine hanging from the tree with the moss.
Ellinor
 player, 9 posts
Wed 21 Aug 2019
at 14:29
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
With a grimace, Ellinor considered the vine, quite happy she had been careful and hadn't jumped in the vine's trap. She hesitated for a few seconds before simply deciding to use the same strategy as for the flowers: she simply collected the moss she needed by using her Mage Hand: why take risks when she could achieve her objective perfectly safely?

Plus... She had to think of the future, it would be a way for her to have some kind of income she could fall back to in case of troubles while she was in the vicinity.
Overlord
 GM, 98 posts
 Your world
 My rules
Thu 22 Aug 2019
at 15:50
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
That works. You gather the moss safely and now have all three ingredients on the parchment.
Ellinor
 player, 10 posts
Thu 22 Aug 2019
at 17:47
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
Quite happy with herself, Ellinor performed a small dance, then looked around a bit embarrassed to check that no one had seen that. She then headed back to the city to hand over her harvest, not forgetting to be mindful on the way: until she was safely inside the city's wall, pretty much anything could happen and it wouldn't do to forget that.
Overlord
 GM, 101 posts
 Your world
 My rules
Fri 23 Aug 2019
at 22:06
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
You manage to get back to the town safely. The shop keeper is very grateful for the ingredients.

"Welcome back. I see you found my ingredients. Thank you very much." He gives you a potion of cure moderate wounds and 100gp.

OOC: you get 600xp.
Ellinor
 player, 11 posts
Sat 24 Aug 2019
at 17:51
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
Ellinor nodded with a smile. "I did indeed, thank you." She stored her reward away, then added. "Let me know if you need some more. In the meantime though, do you know if someone in town lik a wizard or something sells some magic items? Or maybe you're everything around here?"
Overlord
 GM, 103 posts
 Your world
 My rules
Mon 26 Aug 2019
at 15:03
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
"I deal in the more arcane merchandise around here, however aside from potions, I don't have much call for magical wares and few can afford anything of any real power. Mostly I just deal in trinkets and charms. Is there something specific you are looking for?"
Ellinor
 player, 12 posts
Mon 26 Aug 2019
at 19:52
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
Ellinor shook her head. "It's actually the other way around: should there be a need, I'm able to create magic items. As long as it's nothing particularly complex anyway, I don't yet have a lot of experience after all." The girl tapped her lips for a second, then cocked an eyebrow. "If there's a market for such things, I'm willing to offer you 5% of the production cost as commission. Does that sound fair to you?"
Overlord
 GM, 109 posts
 Your world
 My rules
Thu 29 Aug 2019
at 21:32
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
"That sounds fair. As I said, there is not much demand locally, but I do have contacts further in the kingdom. I might be able to sell a few items to them."
Ellinor
 player, 13 posts
Fri 30 Aug 2019
at 12:28
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
Ellinor nodded. "Alright. I'll come every few days, do let me know if someone wants to order something specific. Other than that, I have two questions... First, do you have some advice regarding lodgings, something a bit more permanent than an inn? And do you know of anyone who would have a use for my services?"
Overlord
 GM, 110 posts
 Your world
 My rules
Tue 3 Sep 2019
at 17:08
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
The shopkeeper thought for a moment. "I don't know of anything available at the moment. However, there is plenty of land for sale where you could build a home. The inn does offer some rates for longer periods."
Ellinor
 player, 14 posts
Wed 4 Sep 2019
at 20:15
The Magic Shop (Ellinor's solo mission)
"Buy land?" Ellinor shook her head with a grin. "Ha, I'd need a lot more gold than I have, to say nothing of building anything, I'm afraid it's not in my future." As soon as she said that though, she appeared...thoughtful. "Or in my immediate future anyway. I suppose could always ask about it... Who should I talk to about it? And someone I should ask in particular at the inn?"

With her questions answered, Elinor thanked the shop-keeper and with a parting nod, headed to the the inn: no matter what, she was going to have to get a room there, so she might as well take care of it as soon as possible. The rest would come after, no matter what said rest was...