Day Zero: Karl.   Posted by The Blight.Group: 0
The Blight
 GM, 41 posts
 I am nothingness.
Sun 20 Oct 2019
at 21:56
Day Zero: Karl
The old man gives Karl a smile as you open Google maps thumbing through roads in order to find a better route.

"You won't find it on that device. The road I suggest isn't marked on any map." He gets off his own bike and walks over to you.

Without taking your phone the hobo fumbles through Google maps with surprising ease in such a way that it shocks you.

He points to an area on the map that apparently is very hilly in nature.

"It'll add an extra 15 minutes to your trip but if ya go here, you'll avoid the swamps. The road is pretty dangerous at night so I would recommend you take it at night but great during the day. Don't look so surprised, I haven't always been a hobo."

The man smiles a toothless grin before getting back on his bike.
Karl
 player, 20 posts
Tue 22 Oct 2019
at 07:52
Day Zero: Karl
For a variety of paranoid, and occasionally financial, reasons aunt Katya had been opposed to mobile phones. It was a point they clashed on, and a point Karl had ultimately won on, so he was technology literate enough to use his phone. Unlike most of his peers he hadn't grown up with a screen in his hand though, and he was never surprised when someone showed more fluency with a phone than he did. He would, in fact, have been mildly surprised if the stranger couldn't use the phone.

Even if Karl had been surprised he wouldn't have shown it and his expression remained impassive when he was chided for looking shocked. He knew that some people saw what they expected to see. "spasybi. Thank you" he told the man.

Turning away from the helpful - or not, time would tell - stranger Karl looked at the road ahead and narrowed his eyes as he weighed up his options. He could listen to Google and risk the swampy low lands, or he could listen to his fellow cyclist and try the hills. Karl was not afraid of a bit of mud, but, although he hadn't been able to afford a proper city bike with titanium frame and the truly narrow wheels he did have tyres that were more suited to tarmac than woodland. He was also aware of his cargo. He didn't care if he got muddy or damp, he'd dry out, but he didn't want to damage the paintings he was delivering. His bike wasn't suited to cross country cycling either, though and he was aware that he was already running late and he didn't want to add another 15 minutes delay.

After weighing up the pros and cons of both options Karl put a foot on a pedal and turned the bike towards the hilly route the stranger had suggested. Late paintings were better than ruined paintings, he decided. Besides, if he pushed himself he could close the gap a little, and the hills would be good for building leg muscles.
The Blight
 GM, 45 posts
 I am nothingness.
Tue 22 Oct 2019
at 10:56
Day Zero: Karl
OOC: Does Karl have any kind of athletics skill? Obviously being a cyclist I would assume he does in some shape or form? If so we are going to do a check at this point to determine if Karl struggles through the hills or if he manages without any hassles.

As you turn towards the hills you can see the road has some more challenging areas.
Karl
 player, 21 posts
Tue 22 Oct 2019
at 14:44
Day Zero: Karl
OOC: Honestly, I haven't considered breaking things down into skills yet, because you haven't asked us to.
I can't give you a rating (unless you want me to put together a character sheet) but yes, he has some form of athletics based skill (taking 'athletics' as being roughly how the skill is described in World/Chronicles of Darkness).
He has/does exercise in an attempt to develop his musculature, and obviously his job is an active one that demands a degree of athleticism.

The Blight
 GM, 50 posts
 I am nothingness.
Wed 23 Oct 2019
at 23:40
Day Zero: Karl
OOC: Yes, that is because during FATE you have the choice of developing skills during game play. As such these are much more lose than white wolf. Your skills should have a rating from +0 to +4 with +4 being the top level you can get.

So where does Karl fall into Athletics. Your number does not need to be set in stone which is one reason why this system is more flexible than other systems.

After you have decided on that number go ahead and give me an athletics roll. It should look similar to this:


Make sure you used colored dice easier to read. And put the reason for the roll just to keep the story moving along. I will explain everything as we go.

18:32, Today: The Blight rolled 0 using 4 Fudge dice ((-1, -1, 1, 1)).
Karl
 player, 22 posts
Thu 24 Oct 2019
at 16:12
Day Zero: Karl
OOC: Got it, thanks!
I decided to go with 3 for now. I'm not sure if Athletics is Karl's highest skill or not, so 3 seemed sensible. We can change that later if need be, right?

17:10, Today: Karl rolled 2 using 3 Fudge dice ((0, 1, 1)).

The Blight
 GM, 51 posts
 I am nothingness.
Thu 24 Oct 2019
at 18:07
Day Zero: Karl
OOC: Yes, 100%. Unlike other games, the point is to build the character through narrative game play rather than other methods. So you will be able to switch and change certain things that you think just didn't work well while we are role playing out the origin story.

You quickly peddles through the rolling hills making easy progress without hardly any effort. You make easy work of some sharp turns and other things that would have thrown off a normal cyclist.

When you stop around 30 minutes later you realize that you have made up some of the time that you lost before, you should be on time now for you appointment as you continue to head to your final destination.
Karl
 player, 23 posts
Wed 30 Oct 2019
at 08:58
Day Zero: Karl
Getting his head down, both literally and figuratively, Karl focused on making up some of his lost time while navigating the trickier aspects of the route that had been recommended to him. By the time he stopped to catch his breath and simply enjoy some of the green, which was lacking in the city centre, he was pleased to see that he was now on track to make his delivery on time.

He had gotten the impression that this was a time sensitive delivery, so rather than relax he decided to continue pressing on. Arriving early wasn't going to do him any harm, and he could always enjoy the view on the way back.
The Blight
 GM, 61 posts
 I am nothingness.
Fri 1 Nov 2019
at 11:29
Day Zero: Karl
Karl arrives at the destination. Unlike other areas this is a more rural area with a river near by, some in other parts of the world might call it a swamp based upon the terrain but you clearly see it for what it is.

He is greeted by a man upon his arrival who has a pocket watch out. A smile shows on his face as you pull up with his merchandise.

"A few minutes early. I am glad to see that the old man holds his promises. Please bring them in this way."

The mans salt and pepper hair give no guidance on how old he may or may not be. He moves with a bit of a spring in his step as he takes you into his Manson of sorts which appears to be aged by time but still in decent conditions. Strange stone creatures hang from the top of the build and on some of the gates that surround the area.
Karl
 player, 24 posts
Sat 2 Nov 2019
at 18:39
Day Zero: Karl
When he saw a figure waiting for him outside the address he had been given Karl slowed down his pedaling so that he could pull up to a stop beside the man. Putting a foot into the ground Karl returned the man's smile with a nod of greeting. "Yes" he agreed, climbing off his bike and rolling it over to the wall of the large house so he could prop it up and start freeing the paintings from the bike "you show me where to put them?" he asked.
The Blight
 GM, 67 posts
 I am nothingness.
Fri 8 Nov 2019
at 02:50
Day Zero: Karl
The man leads Karl through a rather large entry way saying very little as he takes him through the main area of the house to what appears to be a dinning room filled with antiques. Dust covers much of the furniture and pieces.

The man guides Karl as to where to put the pictures.

"I love these pieces. I know you must be making your way back but can I offer you something to drink before you leave? I know it's hot outside."
Karl
 player, 26 posts
Fri 8 Nov 2019
at 15:39
Day Zero: Karl
Working with the same quiet methodology he'd employed in securing them Karl freed the paintings from the back of his bike, handling them with care. Once he'd freed up the pictures Karl followed the man into his house, looking around as he followed him through the building.

He put the paintings down where directed, and after only a moment of hesitation he nodded at the man's offer "yes. Please. Water? Or something cold?" he asked, the ride over had been satisfying, but it was also a warm day and he was thirsty and hot.
The Blight
 GM, 72 posts
 I am nothingness.
Sun 10 Nov 2019
at 01:10
Day Zero: Karl
"Yes. No problem let me grab you a drink of water to help you cool down. I know the right had to take some time. If you would please sit in my entrance way and I will be back shortly."

The man disappears into the back kitchen as you can hear him digging around. Inside of the entrance way there is a small bench that you manage to rest on slightly while the man is away.The man has all manner of strange relics through most of house besides the pictures.
Karl
 player, 27 posts
Sun 10 Nov 2019
at 19:31
Day Zero: Karl
"Thank you" Karl said with a nod of his head.

He walked back through to the entrance way as directed, and took a seat. While he waited for the promised drink he looked around the hallway from his perch on the bench, trying to imagine what kind of person lived here and rush ordered weird paintings.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:31, Sun 10 Nov 2019.

The Blight
 GM, 76 posts
 I am nothingness.
Thu 14 Nov 2019
at 01:32
Day Zero: Karl
The old man comes out the back with Karl's water in hand.

He hands Karl the bottle while looking at you with a strange curiosity.

"You do know your going to die. Your soul has been marked, I am deeply sorry to be the barer of bad news. I know all this is going to sound confusing but look at me holding you up. You have places to go and the day light is fading fast."

The man grabs a pen and paper and scribbles something on the paper and then rips the sheet before handing it to Karl.

"You'll need this soon."
Karl
 player, 29 posts
Tue 26 Nov 2019
at 16:57
Day Zero: Karl
When the old man came back in Karl got to his feet and held out his hand to take the bottle he was holding. The suggestion that he was going to die made him hesitate though, and he looked uncertainly at him, withdrawing his hand slightly, no longer sure if he wanted a drink from this stranger.

"What?" he asked "my English not so good" he said; his grasp of English was more than good enough for him to have understood the weird warning or threat or whatever it was, but it was a safe excuse, and while he did understand the words there was always the chance that he'd misunderstood the old man's intention "going to die because we all did one day, yes?"

Karl hadn't taken the water, having been distracted by the talk of death. He did take the paper the old man handed to him, and looked at it automatically.
The Blight
 GM, 84 posts
 I am nothingness.
Tue 26 Nov 2019
at 18:06
Day Zero: Karl
The paper has an address and only the address on it.

The man looks at Karl with a questionable gaze.
"No, I am afraid your time her on this earth is limited. Your soul." He points to your chest, "Has been marked which means that you are running out to time. As we speak forces beyond what you understand are plotting against you. I understand that all this sounds like gibberish but you need to be careful."

The man's questionable gaze turns to a worried look as he is sure you did not understand what he is talking about and is probably lost.
Karl
 player, 31 posts
Tue 26 Nov 2019
at 18:18
Day Zero: Karl
Despite himself Karl took a half step backwards when the old man pointed to his chest. "I..." he said, finding himself not just taciturn but actually lost for words.

He looked towards the door, wanting to position himself so that his host wasn't between him and the door. The man was older than him, and he didn't look intimidating, but if he was as crazy as he currently sounded then Karl didn't want to risk getting in a fight with him. People with mental illness could be deceptively dangerous.

"Marked. Careful" Karl said, keeping his voice low and soothing "careful of what?" he asked, trying to keep the old man calm.
The Blight
 GM, 87 posts
 I am nothingness.
Wed 27 Nov 2019
at 15:45
Day Zero: Karl
The old man makes no gestures to block Karl from leaving.

"They are hunting you. I know all this sounds crazy. I am a part of a group of people who carefully watch over the balance of things. You unfortunately are a person of interest to these creatures."

The man takes a seat near Karl.

"I wish I could tell you more but there simply isn't a whole lot of time. The sun is going down and by tonight you could be in a great deal of trouble. See that piece of paper, if anything happens, you go there. They can help you."
Karl
 player, 32 posts
Thu 28 Nov 2019
at 10:25
Day Zero: Karl
With his escape route clear, and his host sitting down Karl allowed himself to relax slightly. He was still on edge, and ready to run if need be, but he was confident that if the old man started to stand up he could make it to the door before he'd finished getting to his feet, and once he was out of the door he didn't think he'd have any problem outpacing his potential pursuer. As long as the door was unlocked of course. Which was a thought Karl wished he hadn't had.

"Who hunting me? Why?" he asked.
The Blight
 GM, 90 posts
 I am nothingness.
Mon 2 Dec 2019
at 20:24
Day Zero: Karl
"There are two worlds Karl. The waking world and the world that is unseen. I know all this sounds like mumbo jumbo but it's true."

The old man gets up from Karl but he can clearly see that the man has very little intention of stopping him from walking out the door. The man moves away from Karl touching pictures and images around the area.

"You see people have always been in the world inbetween. You have a soul that is different than the millions of people. These things that exist want that soul. They have already begun plotting against you. While I do not know what is hunting you, I can see clearly that they are actively hunting you now."
Karl
 player, 33 posts
Fri 27 Dec 2019
at 22:59
Day Zero: Karl
When the old man stood up again Karl took another step towards the door. He had heard mystical talk before, although usually not from people who lived in places as big and nice as this house.

At the suggestion that he had a unique and different soul Karl frowned suspiciously at the man, wondering what, exactly, he talking about. Was he crazy or passive aggressive? "Da. Ok. I go now. I be careful" he said, deciding that whichever it was he wanted to not be in the house anymore, and he went to let himself out the front door.
The Blight
 GM, 114 posts
 I am nothingness.
Sat 28 Dec 2019
at 00:56
Day Zero: Karl
You leave the house a bit shaken and notice that the sun has gone down a decent amount. You've lost some day light which never made you happy. Biking at night was dangerous at best and deadly at worst with cars not worrying about people on the road.

You started to peddle and began your journey back home. There is no other instance of the man except when he closes the door and you catch him looking out from one of the windows. Clearly the man had problems.

About an hour after the incident you reach an area that is closer to a swamp area of your trek. Your biking when you hear someone screaming in the distance. The dense trees and weeds block your view but you can clearly hear them gasping for breath as if they are drowning not too far from your location. The sun is sinking fast and within a matter of minutes you will be at full dusk.
Karl
 player, 34 posts
Sat 28 Dec 2019
at 12:04
Day Zero: Karl
Biking at night might be more dangerous, but Karl had always enjoyed it more, at least in the city. Yes, the tourists were more dazed and likely to wander into your path as a rule, but that adrenaline rush was part of the fun. It was the difference between a roller coaster and a scenic ferris wheel. Neither was intrinsically better or worse than the other, but Karl knew which he preferred.

The way the city lit up at night also appealed to him and now, out here in the middle of nowhere, Karl was aware of how much of a difference the street lights and the neon of the bars and coffee shops and De Wallen made. He took more time than he normally would to check his own lights before climbing back onto his bike to cycle back to the city.

Unlike the journey out Karl took his time. He wasn't on a time limit, he was tired, it was dark, and he'd left the crazy guy's water behind so he was thirsty. He still thought he was making fairly good time when he was distracted by a sound.

Frowning Karl let his bike coast to a stop and cocked his head to one side to listen. It was dark and creepy out here, and he wanted to convince himself that the noise had been a bird or a fox or some animal thing. An owl, maybe. Owls could sound very spooky when you were alone in the dark.

Swearing under his breath Karl decided that the sound was exactly what it sounded like: a human being in distress. Which left the question of what to do about it. It wasn't much of a question. It was dark, Karl didn't know the terrain, the old guy's warning was still creeping him out, and there was clearly something dangerous out there. It'd be stupid and reckless to go running off in the dark.

Swearing more colorfully to himself Karl propped his bike up on its footstand, swung his leg over it, and started walking towards the sound, calling "hallo?" and taking care to watch his step as he walked. He knew what he was doing was stupid, but he also knew he wouldn't be the man he wanted to be if he rode off and ignored someone screaming.
The Blight
 GM, 117 posts
 I am nothingness.
Mon 6 Jan 2020
at 02:11
Day Zero: Karl
In the dark Karl find his way through the swampy area. As you call out you hear the sound again this time lower and more muffled.

"Heeellllppp meee...."


The sound seems to be more quiet than it was originally. Making your way through the brush, you enter a clearing. At the edge of the water of the swamp is something standing over someone. The figure stands in front of you not turning around but you can clearly see it appears much different than the person at it's feet.

OOC: Go ahead and describe the creature. This is the same monster that will corrupt Karl so use as much detail as you want. Go nuts.