0. INTRO: Entering the Prismatic Hills.   Posted by DudeMan McBro.Group: 0
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 26 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Mon 18 Nov 2019
at 22:38
0. INTRO: Entering the Prismatic Hills
The Windswept Caravan moved through the plains skirting the woods, following a dirt trail. The trails wind up into the Prismatic Hills. The grasses here are knee high to an ordinary human, and they seem to change colour depending on how they catch the light, making the hills themselves seem to shimmer like a constantly moving rainbow. The nomads go deeper and deeper into the hills until they stop near a strange fragmented dome like building, all made of interlocking shapes and completely made of a milky crystalline looking material, some white, some yellow, some orange. Vines grow around it, and have climbed up it as if nature was trying to reclaim this part of wilderness.

ISTVAN: You are travelling with this caravan. How does it look and sound when they are moving through the plains and hills? Treat this as an opening scene in a movie. What do we see and hear? How is it shot? Who do we see? Try incorporating the words “missing piece”, “oracle” and “leader”. You can choose wether or not to introduce and describe yourself in this opening shot.

OOC: And we’re off, starting slow so player two has a chance to be introduced once we made a character. As a reminder, I will only promise to try and update once a week to move the story. More might happen, but it might also not. I am pretty busy this week.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:12, Tue 19 Nov 2019.

Istvan
 player, 10 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Tue 19 Nov 2019
at 16:58
0. INTRO: Entering the Prismatic Hills
DudeMan McBro:
The Windswept Caravan moved through the plains skirting the woods, following a dirt trail. The trails wind up into the Prismatic Hills. The grasses here are knee high to an ordinary human, and they seem to change colour depending on how they catch the light, making the hills themselves seem to shimmer like a constantly moving rainbow. The nomads go deeper and deeper into the hills until they stop near a strange fragmented dome like building, all made of interlocking shapes and completely made of a milky crystalline looking material.


So strong were the muscles of the giant tortoises carrying the homes of the Windswept Caravan, their progress did not slow even as they headed uphill. (It remains slow, as always, but does not get any slower.) The tortoises often grabbed a mouthful of tall grass as they passed it by, but they've walked this route before, and knew that richer vegetation awaited them at their destination.

The thick ropes, cables, and straps that ensured that each little cabin stayed attached to the top of the tortoises creaked gently as the mighty steeds progressed...

On the first tortoise was the leader of the Windswept Caravan, Chitaro, his hair still black even though his temples and goatee were entirely silver-- and his son, Chimian, a year older than Istvan, though he often acted like he was a year younger... He was good with a rapier, though, with excellent and speedy footwork.

On the last tortoise was the caravan's cleric, Yoska, devoted to the ways of Noric, god of the sky (and all things visible and invisible in the sky), and of freedom. Yoska, a few years older than Istvan, was also Istvan's friend. Yoska served as the caravan's oracle, since one of the many things in the sky were the stars, and Yoska knew how to read them (the stars were placed in the sky when Noric shook out his long hair on the first day of the universe... each droplet of water scattered became a star...)

On the second tortoise, though, sat Istvan, playing his harp. The melody didn't have any magic to it, but the lead tortoise liked it, and it kept him moving.

Istvan kept the beat through the creakings of the homes on the backs of the tortoises, and accompanied the wind through the grass and the chirpings and whirrings of the grasshoppers hiding in the grass (all normal grasshopper size, thank goodness).

This message was last edited by the player at 02:54, Wed 20 Nov 2019.

DudeMan McBro
 GM, 31 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 20 Nov 2019
at 13:27
0. INTRO: Entering the Prismatic Hills
GRUNTER: You have been out of Perseverance on a mission and have joined the Windswept Caravan on the way back because there's strength in numbers after all, and they were moving the right way anyway. You are between jobs at the moment, but have gotten a closed envelope with orders that you were to give to someone in Perseverance. Who was it? (this can be a name, a title, or both)

Use this opportunity to introduce your character! How does he look? How is he traveling? What do we see and hear? Are you in armor or not between jobs? Can we see your heraldic shield? How about the one from your lord? You are the first dwarf we see in this game, you get to decide how they look stylistically and culturally! Skin and hair color, clothing style, facial hair, etc. This does not need to be like a Tolkien/Peter Jackson dwarf, but it may. Your choice.

Do you know what the orders in the enveloppe are? Did you write them yourself or did someone give them to you? If so, who? What is their connection to you or in the former option, your connection to them?
Grunter Rocksmasher
 player, 6 posts
Thu 21 Nov 2019
at 03:30
0. INTRO: Entering the Prismatic Hills
Listening to the harp playing in time to the swaying of the tortoises movement was a new experience for Grunter.  It was strangely soothing, reminding him of the sicar, the dwarven string instrument, but without the traditional dwarven mining chants that accompanied it.

Patting his broad chest he could feel the envelope given to him by his last employer. He was to give it to Thane Goldnose, leader of Perseverance. He idly wondered what was in it but he'd find out if the Thane chose to tell him.

His blunt shovel like hands scratched idly at his nose. An outside observer would see a 5 foot tall dwarf, his arms long and dangling, shovel like hands below his knees, barrel like chest and shoulders with muscles corded like a bunch of ripe bananas. Short squat legs support this heavy frame.

A quick glance towards his equipment shows it's still in the same place as last time he checked.  His hammer and shield are within touching distance, as always, and he's dressed in finely woven worm silk over which he wears a traditional dwarven buckskin coat and leggings.

He spots the sundered shield tied to his gear, and mouths a prayer to the gods in honour of his lost Lord. The memory is still painful to the touch.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:39, Thu 21 Nov 2019.

DudeMan McBro
 GM, 35 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Thu 21 Nov 2019
at 22:06
0. INTRO: Entering the Prismatic Hills
The caravan halts and sets up shop near the strange fragmented dome. Yoska had seen this place in a dream and believed something important to be hidden somewhere in it.

Setting up shop here would also mean that there was some opportunity to gather unique crafting materials and ingredients of the region. A group of older men and women took small hand scythes and started harvesting clumps of the grass that reflects the light in such a unique way for example, while a group of younger men and women took out bows and arrows and set out hunting. Some of the smaller children could be seen running around with nets and fishing poles. Surely any unique material that could be found and brought here would be worth something to the caravan and its tradesfolk.

The hunting group would also scout the area and see if there would be some opportunity to find around here, either for trade or other stuff. Their main concern is replenishing the travelling supplies, but they wouldn’t turn down any extra fun along the way. While they don’t really need any help, they wouldn’t turn it down either.

The main concern of the caravan though, and most specifically its leaders, seems to be the strange ruins though. Yoska is sure it houses a strange tablet that he is sure would be a blessing for the caravan. There is debate however, over wether Chitaro would let him delve the ruins. Yoska wants to see it for himself, but Chitaro doesn’t want to risk the Caravan’s only oracle. So the debate is going on who would delve the ruins.

Grunter, Chitaro apologises for the delay in travelling and assures you that when they have found what they needed in the ruins the caravan would resume its travels toward Perseverance. You know that it would be possible, but dangerous to go it alone by foot, and that would take several days. The orders need to be delivered, but it didn’t seem particularly urgent. Besides, if they are talking about delving some ruins you might have some services to sell, right?


Orange lines in this post are side quests while green ones are main quests. Unlike in video games though, ignoring a main quest might have consequences, but going on side quests might still give you unexpected benefits!

For those familiar with games like dungeon world and blades in the dark, I will be working with fronts/clocks on some quests to keep the world moving regardless of what the characters do. You decide which part of it you try to impact.

I will be out of the house for the entire day tomorrow and probably be unavailable in the morning on Saturday, so next post is probably somewhere later in the weekend.

Istvan
 player, 13 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Sat 23 Nov 2019
at 18:37
Re: 0. INTRO: Entering the Prismatic Hills

Istvan lets Chitaro know that he (Istvan) would be willing to help look for the tablet... if he had one or more people to help him...
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 36 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Thu 28 Nov 2019
at 12:10
Re: 0. INTRO: Entering the Prismatic Hills
Chitaro would be glad to aid you by giving you a team of volunteers to help you out.

Roll your charisma to see who goes with you. The quality of your help depends on your charisma rolls. You could also try and roleplay your way into advantage by roleplaying how you recruit your volunteers.
Istvan
 player, 14 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Thu 28 Nov 2019
at 17:39
Re: 0. INTRO: Entering the Prismatic Hills
DudeMan McBro:
Chitaro would be glad to aid you by giving you a team of volunteers to help you out.

Roll your charisma to see who goes with you. The quality of your help depends on your charisma rolls.


(11:38, Today: Istvan rolled 6 using 1d20 ((6)).

My CHR is 14 and I rolled a 6 (by rolling 1d20).

Was that right?

Was that good?)

DudeMan McBro
 GM, 37 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Thu 28 Nov 2019
at 19:49
Re: 0. INTRO: Entering the Prismatic Hills
That is a succes! You rolled under your charisma score! I will try to come up with a choice for you to make it interesting. If you role play a scene where you explain how you try to recruit people yourself, I will give you advantage. That means you could roll again and take the better result. In this case it would mean that you try for a critical succes (aka rolling a one) which would give you a better result.
Istvan
 player, 15 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Thu 28 Nov 2019
at 21:48
Re: 0. INTRO: Entering the Prismatic Hills
DudeMan McBro:
That is a succes! You rolled under your charisma score! I will try to come up with a choice for you to make it interesting. If you role play a scene where you explain how you try to recruit people yourself, I will give you advantage. That means you could roll again and take the better result. In this case it would mean that you try for a critical succes (aka rolling a one) which would give you a better result.


(Hm. When you say "role play a scene" do you mean me writing a scene, or do you mean you and I writing back and forth for a bit as Istvan in conversation with one or more persons...?)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 38 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Thu 28 Nov 2019
at 22:04
Re: 0. INTRO: Entering the Prismatic Hills
For the sake of keeping things moving I’d say just write a scene, but limit it to what Istvan does and not how others react. Focus on how you recruit, not how others react to your recruiting, that’s what I might do as an answer to your roll. Basically you set up the scene and I complete it for a one-two knockout punch of a scene :)
Istvan
 player, 16 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Thu 28 Nov 2019
at 22:37
Re: 0. INTRO: Entering the Prismatic Hills
DudeMan McBro:
For the sake of keeping things moving I’d say just write a scene, but limit it to what Istvan does and not how others react. Focus on how you recruit, not how others react to your recruiting, that’s what I might do as an answer to your roll. Basically you set up the scene and I complete it for a one-two knockout punch of a scene :)


"Hey!" Istvan played a bold musical flourish on his harp-- not meant to be musical, just to get the attention of everyone. Tr-l-l-l-l-l-l-liiiinnnnnggggg! "Want to have a bit of adventure?" Trillll! "Excitement?" Trilll!

But then he took a long pause before he said, in a solemn, quieter voice: "Want to touch the face of the sacred and the divine?"

"Yoska thinks there's a tablet or something in there that could bring a real blessing to this caravan..." he continued. "I'm going... but you folks know me... to do what I do best... I need to have both hands free..." He plucked one harp string, a high one, wavering, resonant... "I could sure use some other good folks with weapons..." Here he glanced specifically at Chimian, and the caravan's dwarven colleague... "Or with the sacred and the divine..." And here he gave Chitaro a look...
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 39 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sat 30 Nov 2019
at 17:28
Re: 0. INTRO: Entering the Prismatic Hills
You are entitled to an advantage for your previous roll for this. You could have done it with it. Just in case you roll a 1. Feel free next time to already roll it while describing if I tell you you might get free advantage.
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 41 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sun 1 Dec 2019
at 22:28
Re: 0. INTRO: Entering the Prismatic Hills
Okay, seeing you rolled a regular success I'll give you the following choice.

Choose two out of these three options to follow you inside the ruin:
a) Grunter Rocksmasher (as an NPC until he logs in again)
b) Chimian - Son of Chitaro, carefree blade master
c) 1d4 hirelings. Compose your team from this list: Hunter, Porter and/or Torchbearer.

Hunter: Gives Advantage to tracking and provides rations Ud4
Porter: May carry up to 12 items
Torchbearer: Provides dim Light to everything Close and Nearby (Having no light in ruins causes PANIC! rolls!)
Istvan
 player, 18 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Mon 2 Dec 2019
at 01:00
Re: 0. INTRO: Entering the Prismatic Hills
DudeMan McBro:
Okay, seeing you rolled a regular success I'll give you the following choice.

Choose two out of these three options to follow you inside the ruin:
a) Grunter Rocksmasher (as an NPC until he logs in again)
b) Chimian - Son of Chitaro, carefree blade master
c) 1d4 hirelings. Compose your team from this list: Hunter, Porter and/or Torchbearer.

Hunter: Gives Advantage to tracking and provides rations Ud4
Porter: May carry up to 12 items
Torchbearer: Provides dim Light to everything Close and Nearby (Having no light in ruins causes PANIC! rolls!)


(Ugggggghhhh. I really want a and b, but the torchbearer sounds pretty important. I guess I'll go with a and c.

18:59, Today: Istvan rolled 2 using 1d4 ((2)).

Torchbearer and... I GUESS Hunter. I hope Grunter can help carry things if they need carrying...)