Session 1: Search for the Tablet.   Posted by DudeMan McBro.Group: 0
Istvan
 player, 65 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 16:31
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
As you keep talking there seems to not be anything happening until you suddenly hear things repeated that you can almost understand, but then in your own language.


(I don't actually quite understand what you mean by the part in red.)


"Wait! Didn't that almost make sense? Grunter, did that part make any sense to you? Is any of this any more intelligible to a native Dwarvish speaker...?"

(10:30, Today: Istvan rolled 22 using 2d20 ((6,16)).

Since Istvan's INT is 9, one of these is a success, therefore either he or Grunter should be able to make some kind of sense out of that last part...)

DudeMan McBro
 GM, 87 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 17:31
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
As he says that to Grunter, Istvan suddenly hears the voice kind of repeating him. A few words are the same, others not exactly. Is the voice "learning" the language when you are speaking it? Is such a thing even possible? In any case, if that is true, you would be best to keep talking. A bard like you must know a good story to tell!

What do you do?


OOC: You were almost understanding it, but not as a foreign language. You were almost understanding it because it resembled your native language. That was what I was trying to communicate.
Istvan
 player, 66 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 02:06
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
As he says that to Grunter, Istvan suddenly hears the voice kind of repeating him. A few words are the same, others not exactly. Is the voice "learning" the language when you are speaking it? Is such a thing even possible? In any case, if that is true, you would be best to keep talking. A bard like you must know a good story to tell!

What do you do?


"Ah ha! My name is Istvan. This dwarf's name is Grunter. We came here in a caravan. The caravan is homes on the backs of giant tortoises. The giant tortoises eat grass..." Istvan talks and talks, speaking in clear, simple sentences...
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 88 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 08:11
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Eventually the voice has got things nailed down and has enough of an understanding of your language to communicate to you and grunter reasonably well. It says its name is Complex Alpha Computing Unit, or CACU for short. It had been asleep for a very long time and is only just waking up. You stil cannot see them. What do you do?
Istvan
 player, 67 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 15:04
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Eventually the voice has got things nailed down and has enough of an understanding of your language to communicate to you and grunter reasonably well. It says its name is Complex Alpha Computing Unit, or CACU for short. It had been asleep for a very long time and is only just waking up. You stil cannot see them. What do you do?


"Ah, hello, CACU. Where... where are you, exactly? I am in this sort of large domed room with the hole in the middle, with the part in the middle of the room that came up from a great depth. There is also a large plant on part of that middle part. Are you... are you down below? Or are you up here near the surface somewhere, like us...?"
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 89 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Tue 28 Jan 2020
at 05:19
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
"I am ... that is a difficult question. I am everywhere in the building, though I am still waking up. Some parts of me are still sleeping and not responding. There shouldn't be a plant on the elevator. There shouldn't be any plants on the lower floor. The cleaners must have failed!" the voice responds.

The torchbearer's eyes go wide when she here's the voice saying that it's everywhere. She falls to her knees. "It must be a god! We apologize for trespassing on your holy ground!" she starts praying.
Istvan
 player, 68 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 12:52
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
"I am ... that is a difficult question. I am everywhere in the building, though I am still waking up. Some parts of me are still sleeping and not responding. There shouldn't be a plant on the elevator. There shouldn't be any plants on the lower floor. The cleaners must have failed!" the voice responds.

The torchbearer's eyes go wide when she here's the voice saying that it's everywhere. She falls to her knees. "It must be a god! We apologize for trespassing on your holy ground!" she starts praying.


Istvan grasps that whatever the situation is, this is a place that is very old, and that some problems have arisen as a result of the place falling into disrepair... "CACU, we didn't mean to offend. We believed that no one lived here, or not anymore. We believe that there is something very important in here. Are you a god? Are you something magical? Are the plants causing you distress? Are you in need of aid?"
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 90 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 13:18
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
"I do not know if I am a god. How would you define a god? I am not magical, and I could use some aid indeed. I cannot connect to some of my systems. They must still be sleeping. If you could find them and wake them like you awoke me, I would be aided by you." it says. "There are not supposed to be plants in this area. There were some lower down when I last was waking, but not here."
Istvan
 player, 69 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 19:12
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
"I do not know if I am a god. How would you define a god? I am not magical, and I could use some aid indeed. I cannot connect to some of my systems. They must still be sleeping. If you could find them and wake them like you awoke me, I would be aided by you." it says. "There are not supposed to be plants in this area. There were some lower down when I last was waking, but not here."


"Well then, CACU, perhaps we can help one another. We were told by a priest that this building contains some sort of tablet that could be very good for our caravan to have. Do you have any idea to what that might refer...?"
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 91 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 20:32
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
CACU starts summarizing the meanings of "tablet":

quote:
tablet; noun (MEDICINE):
a small, solid piece of medicine:
• a sleeping tablet
• a vitamin tablet

tablet; noun (BLOCK):
a thin, flat, often square piece of hard material such as wood, stone, or metal:
• The poem was engraved on a tablet of stone.
• a tablet of soap

tablet; noun (COMPUTER):
(also tablet computer)
a small, flat computer that is controlled by touching the screen or by using a special pen

tablet; noun (PAPER)
sheets of paper that have been fastened together at one edge, used for writing or drawing; a pad:

wax tablet; noun (WRITING)
a tablet made of bone, wood, etc., and covered with wax, used by the ancients for writing with a stylus.

"There are many definitions for the word "tablet". Can you specify?"
Istvan
 player, 70 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 21:11
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
CACU starts summarizing the meanings of "tablet": "There are many definitions for the word "tablet". Can you specify?"



"I'm afraid the priest didn't specify more than that. I didn't get the impression that he meant medicine, and I don't know the word computer, and I bet he doesn't either, so he might not have meant that. The impression I got was that he meant a magical thing you can hold and carry around that can be useful, or which can have one or more positive effects... I could go ask him-- but I'm reluctant to interrupt talking to you, CACU, because I feel that our conversation is being very productive so far... And, honestly, I'm a little afraid that if I stop talking with you, you'll fall back to sleep, and I have so many things to ask you..."
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 92 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 21:17
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
"I have no magical items that I know of stored within. Having been recently awoken, I have no way of knowing what has ended up in my hold. The tablet you seek might be here still. As to sleeping. I am low on energy for the moment, but there is energy stored for me below. If connected to the structure it will power me for several decades at least, and I could help you seek my hold." CACU replies.
Istvan
 player, 71 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 22:04
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
"I have no magical items that I know of stored within. Having been recently awoken, I have no way of knowing what has ended up in my hold. The tablet you seek might be here still. As to sleeping. I am low on energy for the moment, but there is energy stored for me below. If connected to the structure it will power me for several decades at least, and I could help you seek my hold." CACU replies.


"Ah ha! So what we want might be in some hoard or treasure room...! All right, tell us what to do to help you stay awake!"
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 93 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Thu 30 Jan 2020
at 04:42
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
CACU replies: "If you move to the terminal on your right, you will see a screen there. It is better for me to show it than to try and describe it."

(I assume you move to the "terminal", and "screen" even if you don't know what they are. You can role-play that part if you want to.)

The screen shows an image of another strange looking cabinet. It has a yellow triangle on it with a black lightning symbol on it.

"This is a generator." CACU tells you. "It should have a wire connecting it to the wall. It should normally have blinking lights. Some of this will momentarily be untrue by my assessments. If the wire is exposed from it's cable, or broken, do not touch it. Instead look for the hazard suits stored in a closet close by there, in the same room. They will protect you from the current. If you wear them, you will be safe to touch the wires."

The "screen" changes its image to a map.

"The generator should be on the floor below, in this room", it says, and one of the rooms in the map shows up as yellow with a black lightning symbol on it. It currently has a big, red X over it. If you will step on the platform, I will lower you to the floor below."

The torchbearer is still face down on the ground, muttering to "the god of this place".
Istvan
 player, 72 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Thu 30 Jan 2020
at 13:53
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
CACU replies: "If you move to the terminal on your right, you will see a screen there. It is better for me to show it than to try and describe it."

(I assume you move to the "terminal", and "screen" even if you don't know what they are. You can role-play that part if you want to.)

The screen shows an image of another strange looking cabinet. It has a yellow triangle on it with a black lightning symbol on it.

"This is a generator." CACU tells you. "It should have a wire connecting it to the wall. It should normally have blinking lights. Some of this will momentarily be untrue by my assessments. If the wire is exposed from it's cable, or broken, do not touch it. Instead look for the hazard suits stored in a closet close by there, in the same room. They will protect you from the current. If you wear them, you will be safe to touch the wires."

The "screen" changes its image to a map.

"The generator should be on the floor below, in this room", it says, and one of the rooms in the map shows up as yellow with a black lightning symbol on it. It currently has a big, red X over it. If you will step on the platform, I will lower you to the floor below."

The torchbearer is still face down on the ground, muttering to "the god of this place".


"All right CACU, I'm going to take just a moment to speak to my companions, and then we'll step on the platform and let you lower us to the area below this one," Istvan says loudly.

Then he gathers his other companions together near the torchbearer. "Listen," he says to the torchbearer, just barely loud enough for all his companions to hear, "you've got to stop being afraid. Nothing you've heard means that anyone is out to get us or hurt us, right? CA-- the god of this place wants something, and we want something, so we're going to trade, all right? People trade things all the time. He's been asleep so long, dust has gathered and plants have grown and damaged his... home, all right? Maybe a little like how a tree too close to a house can eventually grow to damage it. That's probably why he hasn't woken up for too long. We'll help wake him up, and he'll help us find the tablet we want, right? He's learned our language, and he's been very reasonable. He just wants us to do some... housekeeping, a little home repair. That doesn't sound too scary, right? But if the house is that messy, we'll need light down there, and that means you. You can do this, right? If you're just supporting us...?"
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 96 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sun 2 Feb 2020
at 10:00
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
I was considering making a morale test, but I don't think it's needed yet. Hirelings basically need to succeed critically or run away. So I'll keep that in pocket for the really scary stuff. I could have you make a CHA test, but I don't think it's needed (yet).

She agrees to go with you, reverent of the opportunity to help out the god of this building. The four of you go to the platform. It's littered with large chunks of purple, spongy plant material. It has a strong odor. What do you do? (and roll for it)
Istvan
 player, 75 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 3
Sun 2 Feb 2020
at 14:42
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
I was considering making a morale test, but I don't think it's needed yet. Hirelings basically need to succeed critically or run away. So I'll keep that in pocket for the really scary stuff. I could have you make a CHA test, but I don't think it's needed (yet).

She agrees to go with you, reverent of the opportunity to help out the god of this building. The four of you go to the platform. It's littered with large chunks of purple, spongy plant material. It has a strong odor. What do you do? (and roll for it)


FIRST, Istvan has his friends tie the rope to something that won't move, and then puts the rest of the rope on the platform. What if the platform goes down, and then CACU goes back to sleep again? They'll need a way to climb out! (Again, in Istvan's case.)

Then, Istvan gets his hunter colleague's advice about the plant on the platform. "Hey, what do you think of this thing? Is it dangerous or anything? Should we be worried about it...?"

Istvan examines the plant too...

(08:38, Today: Istvan rolled 15 using 2d20 ((11,4)).

Rolled with advantage because Istvan's asking for a second opinion from a colleague. The second roll is a 4, so someone's got to have a good answer...

This is all BEFORE they actually step on the platform, incidentally... If the plant is dangerous, Istvan doesn't want to deal with it WHILE descending into darkness...)

DudeMan McBro
 GM, 97 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sun 2 Feb 2020
at 21:41
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Guaril and Istvan investigate the plant.. It quickly becomes clear that it’s a broken off piece of some kind of giant mushroom. It doesn’t immediately look dangerous.  Guaril takes a little piece and tastes it.

“Tastes good.” he says, and shrugs.

What do you do?
Istvan
 player, 76 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 3
Sun 2 Feb 2020
at 22:03
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Guaril and Istvan investigate the plant.. It quickly becomes clear that it’s a broken off piece of some kind of giant mushroom. It doesn’t immediately look dangerous.  Guaril takes a little piece and tastes it.

“Tastes good.” he says, and shrugs.

What do you do?


"All right, it seems safe as far as we can figure," says Istvan. "Everyone, let's step onto the platform..."

They all step onto the platform. "CACU, we're ready to be lowered..." he adds...
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 98 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 13:34
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
“Lowering the platform” CACU says, as the platform indeed starts to lower down into the earth. The platform is now being lit up with lines in it, and the same go along the walls of the shaft leading down. This dim illumination shows the rest of the plant, in pieces besides the platform. It seems to be a tree-sized mushroom. It must have been what broke your fall. The room you are in seems to be a big cavern, filled with a ‘forest’ of these mushrooms. At least as far as the platform lights and your torches seem to show. CACU’s voice comes from a small box in the platform. “There should be an illuminated line running along the ground. Can you see this?”

To find it, roll INT.

For other reasons, roll WIS.
Istvan
 player, 77 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 3
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 17:25
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
“Lowering the platform” CACU says, as the platform indeed starts to lower down into the earth. The platform is now being lit up with lines in it, and the same go along the walls of the shaft leading down. This dim illumination shows the rest of the plant, in pieces besides the platform. It seems to be a tree-sized mushroom. It must have been what broke your fall. The room you are in seems to be a big cavern, filled with a ‘forest’ of these mushrooms. At least as far as the platform lights and your torches seem to show. CACU’s voice comes from a small box in the platform. “There should be an illuminated line running along the ground. Can you see this?”

To find it, roll INT.

For other reasons, roll WIS.


Istvan turns to the hunter. "Hey, quick, help me find this line of light he's talking about," Istvan says quietly...

(11:23, Today: Istvan rolled 25 using 2d20 ((19,6)).

One of them found it, at least...)

DudeMan McBro
 GM, 101 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sat 8 Feb 2020
at 21:45
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
As you are all looking, there is no light to be found, but Guaril suddenly whistles for your attention and clears away some soil that covered a sort of wire or cable that he follows to the platform. “No light, but we could follow it? Or you ask ...” he gestures with his hand in the air, “Voice of this place.”
Istvan
 player, 80 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 3
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 21:04
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
As you are all looking, there is no light to be found, but Guaril suddenly whistles for your attention and clears away some soil that covered a sort of wire or cable that he follows to the platform. “No light, but we could follow it? Or you ask ...” he gestures with his hand in the air, “Voice of this place.”


"Let's start with that," says Istvan. A little louder, he says: "CACU? Can you hear me? We don't see the line of light you were talking about-- there's no light visible down here at all aside from the torch we brought with us... but we have could a sort of cord or cable that leads to this platform... Should we follow that...?"
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 102 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 21:05
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
CACU replies. “Ah, the cable should be lit up, but if it isn’t you should follow it. It shows the way.”
Istvan
 player, 81 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 3
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 21:26
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
CACU replies. “Ah, the cable should be lit up, but if it isn’t you should follow it. It shows the way.”


"All right, good. Thank you CACU, we'll try that. I'm going to sing a song... if you start losing the ability to hear me, warn me before we get too far away to hear your warning, please."

"All right, folks, let's follow this cable," says Istvan, and he sings a song.

When I was young I used to wait
Upon the prince to bring him his plate
And pass the bottle when he got dry
And warn if any dragons fly

And when he'd ride from tree to tree
I'd follow after, so to see
The pony could get rather shy
Should the shadow of a drake fly by

One day he rode too near the farm
But dragons there were known to swarm
One chanced to bite him on the knee
What happened next, I didn't see

Dragon flies, and I don't care
Dragon flies, and I don't care
Dragon flies, and I don't care
One took the prince away