Session 1: Search for the Tablet.   Posted by DudeMan McBro.Group: 0
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 42 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Mon 2 Dec 2019
at 19:45
Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Our heroes stand near a strange fragmented dome like building, all made of interlocking shapes and completely made of a milky, crystalline looking material, some white, some yellow, some orange. Prismatic vines grow around it, and have climbed up it as if nature was trying to reclaim this part of wilderness. At first glance there seems to be only one dark entrance.

What do you do?
Istvan
 player, 21 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Mon 2 Dec 2019
at 22:17
Session 1: Search for the Tablet

Attempting to use common sense, experience, and instinct, Istvan inspects the exterior of the structure. Hes looking to make sure there's not any other entrance, but he's also looking for any chinks in the outside that might let him peek inside and get a preview of what's in there... and he's careful to watch for any footsteps or tracks (especially if they lead inside or are coming from inside)...

The steps he took regarding these tasks came from habits formed when he was living on the streets of the city... knowing whether or not there was anyone squatting inside a building-- and what mood they might be in-- could sometimes be very important to a young boy trying not to starve nor freeze to death...

(Istvan's Wisdom score: 11.

16:16, Today: Istvan rolled 9 using 1d20 ((9)).

Rolled under!)

DudeMan McBro
 GM, 45 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 4 Dec 2019
at 13:19
Session 1: Search for the Tablet
While perhaps not at home in nature, the city jungles have thought you a thing or two! For example, clear tracks suddenly stopping before the main entrance of the building make your ambush senses tingle! Wether or not it is an actual ambush, being careful around that entrance would be key to your survival you think.

As for inspecting the rest of the building you found that it is old enough to be eroded here and there. Climbing it would not be impossible, since there would be enough of the crystalline material that has eroded and overgrown with vines to form natural handholds and foot supports. It would make able to look at the top of the dome. Seeing the segmented nature of the building, there would most likely be a flat surface to stand upon. And it would mean that you could inspect the "roof" of the building.


It is morning on Countingday, the 5th of The Moon of Doors in the year of the Longstriding Turtle.
You stand here together with Grunter, a torchbearer loaded with torches and a hunter looking at the tracks you pointed out, stroking his chin.

What do you do?
Istvan
 player, 24 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Wed 4 Dec 2019
at 14:15
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
While perhaps not at home in nature, the city jungles have thought you a thing or two! For example, clear tracks suddenly stopping before the main entrance of the building make your ambush senses tingle! Wether or not it is an actual ambush, being careful around that entrance would be key to your survival you think.

As for inspecting the rest of the building you found that it is old enough to be eroded here and there. Climbing it would not be impossible, since there would be enough of the crystalline material that has eroded and overgrown with vines to form natural handholds and foot supports. It would make able to look at the top of the dome. Seeing the segmented nature of the building, there would most likely be a flat surface to stand upon. And it would mean that you could inspect the "roof" of the building.


It is morning on Countingday, the 5th of The Moon of Doors in the year of the Longstriding Turtle.
You stand here together with Grunter, a torchbearer loaded with torches and a hunter looking at the tracks you pointed out, stroking his chin.

What do you do?


Istvan turns to the hunter, Guaril. "What do you think of the way those tracks stop?" he asks Guaril quietly.

Istvan is tempted to climb the structure... but what if the roof isn't stable? He waits to hear what Guaril thinks before deciding whether or not to climb...
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 49 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sat 7 Dec 2019
at 10:04
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Guaril frowns and nods as you ask him this. You’re quickly learning that speaking isn’t really his thing and he’ll just as easily communicate in short grunts, pointed looks and expressions. He looks around a bit, takes hold of a stone the size of a human head with both hands and chucks it onto the entrance to the ruins. The floor collapses into a shaft that goes down deep. You hear a splash. The flap that fell down raises up again until the hole is covered again and some vines move over it to camouflage it. The torchbearer gasps.

“Pit Plant,” he says. “Flesh eating plant.”

As to wether or not to climb the structure, Guaril merely shrugs. He doesn’t seem to see any danger in it.
Istvan
 player, 32 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Sat 7 Dec 2019
at 18:04
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Guaril frowns and nods as you ask him this. You’re quickly learning that speaking isn’t really his thing and he’ll just as easily communicate in short grunts, pointed looks and expressions. He looks around a bit, takes hold of a stone the size of a human head with both hands and chucks it onto the entrance to the ruins. The floor collapses into a shaft that goes down deep. You hear a splash. The flap that fell down raises up again until the hole is covered again and some vines move over it to camouflage it. The torchbearer gasps.

“Pit Plant,” he says. “Flesh eating plant.”

As to wether or not to climb the structure, Guaril merely shrugs. He doesn’t seem to see any danger in it.


Istvan tried getting some of his ladybugs to go look around inside the dome... (12:03, Today: Istvan rolled 20 using 1d20 ((20)). Big Failure!)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 53 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sun 8 Dec 2019
at 20:42
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
As Istvan tries to control his familiar swarm of ladybugs into the building entrance to have a look around he tries to look through their eyes. It doesn't work. In fact, he gets some psychic backlash and has a stinging headache. His next roll will be at a disadvantage!He's not sure what caused this. It should have worked. Is there perhaps a vile force opposing him inside the building? Is it magically sealed? Or did he just fumble while trying to use the link with his familiar? He doesn't know...

What do you do?
Istvan
 player, 33 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Sun 8 Dec 2019
at 21:26
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
As Istvan tries to control his familiar swarm of ladybugs into the building entrance to have a look around he tries to look through their eyes. It doesn't work. In fact, he gets some psychic backlash and has a stinging headache. His next roll will be at a disadvantage!He's not sure what caused this. It should have worked. Is there perhaps a vile force opposing him inside the building? Is it magically sealed? Or did he just fumble while trying to use the link with his familiar? He doesn't know...

What do you do?


Istvan sighs, and decides to try carefully climbing up to see if he can figure anything out that way.

(IF you need a roll for that: 15:24, Today: Istvan rolled 6 using 1d20 ((6)). Well within my Dex... but does disadvantage mean I should have rolled twice and taken the worse roll...?)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 54 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sun 8 Dec 2019
at 21:31
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Istvan:
(IF you need a roll for that: 15:24, Today: Istvan rolled 6 using 1d20 ((6)). Well within my Dex... but does disadvantage mean I should have rolled twice and taken the worse roll...?)


Yes. Disadvantage means rolling twice and taking the worst result. Sorry for assuming you knew.
Istvan
 player, 34 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Sun 8 Dec 2019
at 21:40
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Istvan:
(IF you need a roll for that: 15:24, Today: Istvan rolled 6 using 1d20 ((6)). Well within my Dex... but does disadvantage mean I should have rolled twice and taken the worse roll...?)


Yes. Disadvantage means rolling twice and taking the worst result. Sorry for assuming you knew.


(15:39, Today: Istvan rolled 4 using 1d20 ((4)). Whew! BOTH made it!)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 55 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Mon 9 Dec 2019
at 20:38
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
You climb up on the building and find both a greater view out over the area and a nest of some kind of flying lizard. It's about the size of a large dinner plate and has pearly tinted eggs in it the size of pineapples. (without the leafy bit). One of the eggs has hatched and a small pterodactyl like creature is screeching out for food since it saw movement.

The wind is rather strong up here and tugs at your clothes. The parent lizards seem to have left the nest for now.
What do you do?
Istvan
 player, 35 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Mon 9 Dec 2019
at 21:01
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
You climb up on the building and find both a greater view out over the area and a nest of some kind of flying lizard. It's about the size of a large dinner plate and has pearly tinted eggs in it the size of pineapples. (without the leafy bit). One of the eggs has hatched and a small pterodactyl like creature is screeching out for food since it saw movement.

The wind is rather strong up here and tugs at your clothes. The parent lizards seem to have left the nest for now.
What do you do?


Istvan immediately starts climbing right back down. Istvan is NOT here for flying lizards. In other circumstances, maybe. HERE? NO.

He doesn't touch the eggs, doesn't even look at them any further. Time to be down in one safe piece.

(Let me know if you need a new roll.)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 56 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Tue 10 Dec 2019
at 05:35
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Istvan gets down safely. You are in front of the building. With you are Grunter the Warrior, Guaril the hunter and a torchbearer. It's morning on Countingday, the 5th of The Moon of Doors in the year of the Longstriding Turtle.
Istvan
 player, 39 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 13:20
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Istvan gets down safely. You are in front of the building. With you are Grunter the Warrior, Guaril the hunter and a torchbearer. It's morning on Countingday, the 5th of The Moon of Doors in the year of the Longstriding Turtle.


"All right, this is ridiculous. Maybe the shield is a little small, but there's got to be something around here that'll work. C'mon, Istvan, focus. There's got to be a common-sense answer staring you in the face."

(Wis check: 07:19, Today: Istvan rolled 7 using 1d20 ((7)). Yay!)

DudeMan McBro
 GM, 60 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 13:43
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Good roll.

Istvan realizes that he just was able to quite easily climb the walls of the structure. If he’d climb the wall up to the door he could probably get through it without triggering the plant.

He also realizes that the reason he can easily climb the walls is in part because it’s overgrown with thick vines. These could serve as flimsy rope or, with a bit of time, be woven into sturdy rope.

And then, looking back, he realizes the Caravan has shopkeeps and traders that probably sell gear he can use. Planks, ropes, poles, sheets, etc.
Istvan
 player, 40 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 14:01
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Good roll.

Istvan realizes that he just was able to quite easily climb the walls of the structure. If he’d climb the wall up to the door he could probably get through it without triggering the plant.

He also realizes that the reason he can easily climb the walls is in part because it’s overgrown with thick vines. These could serve as flimsy rope or, with a bit of time, be woven into sturdy rope.

And then, looking back, he realizes the Caravan has shopkeeps and traders that probably sell gear he can use. Planks, ropes, poles, sheets, etc.


Istvan hurries back to a certain tortoise and knocks on the door of the cabin atop it. "Um hey we're exploring the ruined building thing, but there's a pit plant at the entrance? And I'm a little worried about our dwarven friend? So could we um borrow a couple of good sturdy planks to lay over it...?"
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 61 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 15:13
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
For the sake of expediency I rolled for a charisma check to see if people were willing to borrow you some wood, and um... I’m sorry!
16:09, Today: DudeMan McBro, on behalf of Istvan, rolled 20 using 1d20 ((20)).


The specific person you ask for the planks of wood is unwilling to give it to you. She’s even angry at you, claiming that you’re just after an excuse to spy on her daughter! Now it’s up to you to decide wether or not this is a valid concern or if she’s just being overly protective. Is there a history here?
Istvan
 player, 41 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 15:32
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
For the sake of expediency I rolled for a charisma check to see if people were willing to borrow you some wood, and um... I’m sorry!
16:09, Today: DudeMan McBro, on behalf of Istvan, rolled 20 using 1d20 ((20)).


The specific person you ask for the planks of wood is unwilling to give it to you. She’s even angry at you, claiming that you’re just after an excuse to spy on her daughter! Now it’s up to you to decide wether or not this is a valid concern or if she’s just being overly protective. Is there a history here?


No, her daughter's not as wonderful as she thinks, and also, Istvan likes smart girls.

But he's not going to say that.

"Um, what if I gave you a coin? To rent the planks?"
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 62 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Thu 12 Dec 2019
at 18:42
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Well, seeing the critical fail, the only thing you get is the door slammed in your face. There are, however, several shopkeepers where you could go to to buy stuff.

For 1d8 coins you can get crafting materials at the local vendor. If you want to spend time comparing prices and haggling you can roll the d8 twice and take the lowest result as the price, but time will progress.
Istvan
 player, 42 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Thu 12 Dec 2019
at 21:11
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Well, seeing the critical fail, the only thing you get is the door slammed in your face. There are, however, several shopkeepers where you could go to to buy stuff.

For 1d8 coins you can get crafting materials at the local vendor. If you want to spend time comparing prices and haggling you can roll the d8 twice and take the lowest result as the price, but time will progress.


Istvan feels like if he messes with this all day it'll be dark before he knows it, and he's feeling impatient.

But...

(Does Istvan's Charm: A Nearby NPC or Monster obeys a simple command and will perform a simple Action

Could he just charm the pit plant to not eat the dwarf? Or anyone, for just a minute...?)

DudeMan McBro
 GM, 65 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Mon 6 Jan 2020
at 22:02
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
The pit plant would not count as an npc or monster, but as a natural trap. So that wouldn’t work. There are rumours, though, of magic users having found spells to control plants. That would be a complete other quest though, if Istvan were to seek that spell out.

Also, just to be sure you understand it, if you just buy it you roll a d8, it costs that much and you don’t lose time. If you haggle and compare prices to get advantage on the roll (meaning rolling twice and taking the best result) then you loose time.
Istvan
 player, 48 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 1
Thu 9 Jan 2020
at 23:35
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet

Well, although there wasn't exactly a rush, in the morning, the pit plant and the unexplored building would still be there, so Istvan bought the plank... but tried to haggle for it:

(11:32, Yesterday: Istvan rolled 8 using 1d8 with rolls of 8.

17:35, Today: Istvan rolled 5 using 1d8 with rolls of 5.)


It cost Istvan 5 coins... at least he had 3 left. The greedy woman would have cleaned him out if he'd been in more of a hurry...
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 70 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Thu 9 Jan 2020
at 23:52
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
The sun is standing high in the sky when Istvan, Grunter, Guaril and the Torchbearer get back to the ruin with the pit plant. The darkness inside seemed invitingly cool. Grunter is carrying the stack of planks. The shopkeep only sold in bulk, and didn’t want to make an exception for Istvan. At least his winning smile and persuasive haggling had got the prize down, and hey, perhaps what’s left over could still be useful inside a ruin. You never knew in what kind of state of decay those ruins are.

Planks are bulky, a two hands item. I’ll try to refresh my memory on how items and carrying work again later in the weekend, but just know that it takes up some space. Also, it’s not a one use item, so I’ll give it some usage dice. Again, I’m gonna refresh my mind on how that works again later as well.

Now it is sleepy time. Oh. Could you roll 2d6 for me and list the dice results separately while you wait for me to decide things?
Istvan
 player, 49 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 1
Fri 10 Jan 2020
at 02:36
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
The sun is standing high in the sky when Istvan, Grunter, Guaril and the Torchbearer get back to the ruin with the pit plant. The darkness inside seemed invitingly cool. Grunter is carrying the stack of planks. The shopkeep only sold in bulk, and didn’t want to make an exception for Istvan. At least his winning smile and persuasive haggling had got the prize down, and hey, perhaps what’s left over could still be useful inside a ruin. You never knew in what kind of state of decay those ruins are.

Planks are bulky, a two hands item. I’ll try to refresh my memory on how items and carrying work again later in the weekend, but just know that it takes up some space. Also, it’s not a one use item, so I’ll give it some usage dice. Again, I’m gonna refresh my mind on how that works again later as well.

Now it is sleepy time. Oh. Could you roll 2d6 for me and list the dice results separately while you wait for me to decide things?


20:36, Today: Istvan rolled 5 using 2d6 ((2,3)).
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 71 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sat 11 Jan 2020
at 23:15
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
The planks will be a Ud8 item.

But yes, you are standing in front of the ruin, nothing much has changed except that the sun is higher in the sky.
If you just use a plank to cross without making it a more permanent fixture you succeed automatically. Roll a d8 as you enter the ruin to see if your usage die stays the same. If you roll a 1 or 2 it’ll become a Ud6 instead of staying a Ud8.
Istvan
 player, 50 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 1
Sat 11 Jan 2020
at 23:36
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
The planks will be a Ud8 item.

But yes, you are standing in front of the ruin, nothing much has changed except that the sun is higher in the sky.
If you just use a plank to cross without making it a more permanent fixture


Yep

DudeMan McBro:
you succeed automatically. Roll a d8 as you enter the ruin to see if your usage die stays the same. If you roll a 1 or 2 it’ll become a Ud6 instead of staying a Ud8.


17:36, Today: Istvan rolled 1 using 1d8 ((1)).
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 72 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Mon 13 Jan 2020
at 10:02
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Man, you have had some bad luck rolling recently.

When first trying a plank, it just fell into the plant, but after that, all was successful and you step into the ruin. It's a large, dark, circular chamber. The only light is the light from outside that comes in through the doorway. The Torchbearer looks at you to see wether or not you want her to light a torch.

What do you do?
Istvan
 player, 51 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 1
Mon 13 Jan 2020
at 16:11
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Man, you have had some bad luck rolling recently.

When first trying a plank, it just fell into the plant, but after that, all was successful and you step into the ruin. It's a large, dark, circular chamber. The only light is the light from outside that comes in through the doorway. The Torchbearer looks at you to see wether or not you want her to light a torch.

What do you do?


Definitely light a torch, especially if it's too dark to tell if there are other exits from the chamber and where they are...
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 73 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 15 Jan 2020
at 10:06
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
The torchbearer lights a torch and holds it aloft, revealing the room to be large and circular, made largely of the same material. In the floor however, there is a giant pit. Basically the floor has a pit fabricated in it purposefully and visibly. It’s rimmed by a dark metal rim. There seem to be some kind of cabinets lined along the walls. They have a thick coating of dust and debris.

The light scares a roost of bats on the ceiling, they try to fly out frantically. Roll dexterity please.
Istvan
 player, 52 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 1
Wed 15 Jan 2020
at 18:10
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
The torchbearer lights a torch and holds it aloft, revealing the room to be large and circular, made largely of the same material. In the floor however, there is a giant pit. Basically the floor has a pit fabricated in it purposefully and visibly. It’s rimmed by a dark metal rim. There seem to be some kind of cabinets lined along the walls. They have a thick coating of dust and debris.

The light scares a roost of bats on the ceiling, they try to fly out frantically. Roll dexterity please.



(DEXTERITY   15

12:10, Today: Istvan rolled 15 using 1d20 ((15)).)

DudeMan McBro
 GM, 74 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 15 Jan 2020
at 21:22
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Oooh nooo, you needed below! Well, a bad thing happens.

You try to avoid the swarm of bats that comes towards you and you heart jumps in your chest as you feel your foot slip and then fall. You fall for quite a bit until you land on something soft and bounce off falling on some harder surface. It feels like a layer of dirt on a harder surface. It is dark. You see some light above, probably from the torchbearer. You hear your name being called from above, as if they are looking for you.
Istvan
 player, 53 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 1
Wed 15 Jan 2020
at 22:33
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Oooh nooo, you needed below! Well, a bad thing happens.

You try to avoid the swarm of bats that comes towards you and you heart jumps in your chest as you feel your foot slip and then fall. You fall for quite a bit until you land on something soft and bounce off falling on some harder surface. It feels like a layer of dirt on a harder surface. It is dark. You see some light above, probably from the torchbearer. You hear your name being called from above, as if they are looking for you.


I might regret this, thinks Istvan, but... "I'm alive," Istvan calls... trying to be JUST loud enough for them to hear. "Fell on something soft, at first..."
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 76 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sun 19 Jan 2020
at 17:55
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
"Ok", you hear Guaril whisper-yell. "I will find something to help."

Then it's silent. The light still shines above. You don't know how long it took. Perhaps you thought that they went to town to buy rope or something. But then you hear movement again. Not long after that one of the black vines that grew outside on the ruin is lowered down the hole. It's been knotted to another one. Guaril must have made it as a makeshift rope.

"Grunter is holding it. Do you want to come up or should we come down?" he asks.
Istvan
 player, 54 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 1
Sun 19 Jan 2020
at 18:00
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
"Ok", you hear Guaril whisper-yell. "I will find something to help."

Then it's silent. The light still shines above. You don't know how long it took. Perhaps you thought that they went to town to buy rope or something. But then you hear movement again. Not long after that one of the black vines that grew outside on the ruin is lowered down the hole. It's been knotted to another one. Guaril must have made it as a makeshift rope.

"Grunter is holding it. Do you want to come up or should we come down?" he asks.


"I'll try coming up, for now..." says Istvan...

(I want to try to climb back up there, for now...)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 77 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sun 19 Jan 2020
at 21:37
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
I should have added that you’d have to roll under your dex to climb up. Sorry. I’m trying to get better at this so as not to lose time with just roll.
Istvan
 player, 55 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 1
Mon 20 Jan 2020
at 00:57
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
I should have added that you’d have to roll under your dex to climb up. Sorry. I’m trying to get better at this so as not to lose time with just roll.


(18:56, Today: Istvan rolled 9 using 1d20 ((9)): Success.)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 78 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Mon 20 Jan 2020
at 04:53
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
You get up safe and sound! You are in a large circular room wit only two visible exits, the door out and the big hole/pit in the center of the room you fell in.
In the flickering torchlight you see this room is lined with strange looking cabinets of some kind. They are covered with dust, rubble and bat poop.

What do you do? (and roll a d20 for doing it)
Istvan
 player, 56 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 1
Mon 20 Jan 2020
at 13:54
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
You get up safe and sound! You are in a large circular room wit only two visible exits, the door out and the big hole/pit in the center of the room you fell in.
In the flickering torchlight you see this room is lined with strange looking cabinets of some kind. They are covered with dust, rubble and bat poop.

What do you do? (and roll a d20 for doing it)


(07:51, Today: Istvan rolled 16 using 1d20 ((16)). Failure.)

Finally, Istvan can do what he wanted to do when he climbed up-- examine the cabinets... He tries to use all his brains and wisdom to select one in particular...

He decides to try the one that looks like, before this place was abandoned, it might have been most-often used. "Open that one, Grunter, and let's see what might be inside..." Istvan instructs... (He has his harp at the ready, just in case the unexpected might happen...)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 79 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 09:25
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
The cabinets are made from an unknown material! If it had been a type of metal Grunter should have been able to recognise it, but he can’t. It’s also clearly not wood. This is strange! Grunter starts removing the rubble and cobwebs from it coughing a bit, when all of a sudden the cabinet lights up and has all kinds of lights blinking on it. Your torchbearer lets out a short yelp in surprise as she was providing the light. It seems like some things can be pushed or toggled or something. Grunter thinks it’s kind of a clockwork thing, like some dwarven tradesmen could make, while to you it reminds you of keys and valves of musical instruments you have seen before.

Guaril looks at the cabinet suspiciously but seeing you guys handling it keeps his eyes on the entrance and the hole.
What do you do next? (and roll for it, with advantage if you have help or if your background applies!)

GAME MECHANICS UPDATE:
1) You have started exploring a new area! You gain 1XP! (you can spend it to level when you spend money and tell about your story in a party like environment. Basically, it’s buying everyone a drink and celebrating by telling tales after an adventure, but we can interpret this loosely if needed.)
2) Any time you get someone to help you, assume you can roll with advantage! Like you just got Grunter to help you, which would have gotten you advantage! Also keep in mind that if you can use your background for something, you can roll with advantage!

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:29, Wed 22 Jan 2020.

Istvan
 player, 57 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 14:17
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
The cabinets are made from an unknown material! If it had been a type of metal Grunter should have been able to recognise it, but he can’t. It’s also clearly not wood. This is strange! Grunter starts removing the rubble and cobwebs from it coughing a bit, when all of a sudden the cabinet lights up and has all kinds of lights blinking on it. Your torchbearer lets out a short yelp in surprise as she was providing the light. It seems like some things can be pushed or toggled or something. Grunter thinks it’s kind of a clockwork thing, like some dwarven tradesmen could make, while to you it reminds you of keys and valves of musical instruments you have seen before.

Guaril looks at the cabinet suspiciously but seeing you guys handling it keeps his eyes on the entrance and the hole.
What do you do next? (and roll for it, with advantage if you have help or if your background applies!)

GAME MECHANICS UPDATE:
1) You have started exploring a new area! You gain 1XP! (you can spend it to level when you spend money and tell about your story in a party like environment. Basically, it’s buying everyone a drink and celebrating by telling tales after an adventure, but we can interpret this loosely if needed.)
2) Any time you get someone to help you, assume you can roll with advantage! Like you just got Grunter to help you, which would have gotten you advantage! Also keep in mind that if you can use your background for something, you can roll with advantage!



Ah ha!

Istvan tells the torchbearer to bring the light over closer. He wants to see if there's any sort of symbols or colors or other markings on the keys or valves or whatever that tells one from another. Like, if one had a happy face :) on it, he'd want to push that one first.

Of course, maybe they'll all look alike, but it's worth a look...

(Not rolling yet, because this is just about examining something for information first...)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 80 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 14:52
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
There are indeed markings on it, but to see wether you can make sense of it or not I’ll need a roll against your intelligence. The Torchbearer is helping you by providing ample light, so you have advantage.
Istvan
 player, 58 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 16:39
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
There are indeed markings on it, but to see wether you can make sense of it or not I’ll need a roll against your intelligence. The Torchbearer is helping you by providing ample light, so you have advantage.


(10:37, Today: Istvan rolled 31 using 2d20 ((19,12)). Both over Istvan's Int score.)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 81 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 21:22
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Istvan is unable to make sense of it. Some look like pictograms but others are just a strange language. And the pictograms aren’t very clear. There’s one that looks like a person with their hands in the air, but what would that mean? It could be many things. A greeting, a warning, surrender... Some other buttons are so covered with dust and grime that they are caked on. There’s no way to clean them without possibly pushing or flipping them.

What do you do?
Istvan
 player, 59 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 21:44
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Istvan is unable to make sense of it. Some look like pictograms but others are just a strange language. And the pictograms aren’t very clear. There’s one that looks like a person with their hands in the air, but what would that mean? It could be many things. A greeting, a warning, surrender... Some other buttons are so covered with dust and grime that they are caked on. There’s no way to clean them without possibly pushing or flipping them.

What do you do?


"Guys, I'm thinking about pushing the guy-with-his-hands-up button. I'm hoping it means 'make something interesting rise up out of the hole.' Anyone wanna talk me out of it? Because the alternative-- since I don't see any other way out of this room except the way we came in-- is to go down the rope-vine and explore down there, and I'm not crazy about that either... even though I accept that there's a very good chance we'll have to try it soon..."
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 82 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 21:54
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Guaril grimaces, signaling that he’s not a fan of trying, but he doesn’t seem like he’d stop you. The torchbearer seems to have gotten over her first fright and is mesmerized by the pretty lights. She seems to like the idea of trying it out. Grunter seems to be lost in thought and staring off in space.

If you’re just gonna try and push stuff that seems like either relying on intuition, which sounds like a wisdom roll or just sheer force of personality and daring the universe, which would be charisma. No help this time is no advantage, unless you can bring in you background somehow.
Istvan
 player, 60 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 22:10
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Guaril grimaces, signaling that he’s not a fan of trying, but he doesn’t seem like he’d stop you. The torchbearer seems to have gotten over her first fright and is mesmerized by the pretty lights. She seems to like the idea of trying it out. Grunter seems to be lost in thought and staring off in space.

If you’re just gonna try and push stuff that seems like either relying on intuition, which sounds like a wisdom roll or just sheer force of personality and daring the universe, which would be charisma. No help this time is no advantage, unless you can bring in you background somehow.


(Yeah, but what about the guy-with-his-hands-up button? That need a roll?)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 83 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 22:29
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Yes. To see if it is a good symbol or a bad one.
Istvan
 player, 61 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 22:34
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Yes. To see if it is a good symbol or a bad one.



(Heck with it then. Charisma, to charm the gods of fate...

16:34, Today: Istvan rolled 11 using 1d20 ((11)).

Istvan's Charisma: 14. Success...!)

DudeMan McBro
 GM, 84 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 05:16
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
You push the button and ... nothing happens, so you push again, the torchbearer cant help herself and pushes another, you start pushing random buttons and all of a sudden there is a slight whining sound as the walls itself start to give light and more of the cabinets light up around the room. A screeching sound is heard from the pit and coming closer until eventually the hole in the floor is closed by a dirt covered metal circle on which fragments of some extremely large type of plant life lie.

There is a voice you can hear, talking in a language you have never heard before, but no-one is to be seen. The voice sounds kind of raspy as well.

What do you do?
Istvan
 player, 62 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 13:19
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
You push the button and ... nothing happens, so you push again, the torchbearer cant help herself and pushes another, you start pushing random buttons and all of a sudden there is a slight whining sound as the walls itself start to give light and more of the cabinets light up around the room. A screeching sound is heard from the pit and coming closer until eventually the hole in the floor is closed by a dirt covered metal circle on which fragments of some extremely large type of plant life lie.

There is a voice you can hear, talking in a language you have never heard before, but no-one is to be seen. The voice sounds kind of raspy as well.

What do you do?


(OOC: AH HA! So THAT'S what we're doing! (Thinks: "raspy?" "raspy?" Why does that feel like I should-- OH! AH HA! Of COURSE! Because THAT'S what we're doing! Got it!)

(Also: Wow, that probably really was quite a ways down. Istvan was lucky to survive it.))


"Hello?" Istvan says loudly to the air. "Person speaking? I'm sorry, but I don't think any of us know your language! Maybe it's a very old language...? Does anything I'm saying make sense to you? Can you hear me, or is this just for you speaking to us? I hope you can hear me... We're here looking for an important piece of knowledge! Hello?"
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 85 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 13:23
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
You hear the voice say something in another language. Then again, and again, and again. If you want and try to recognize a language then you should roll your INT
Istvan
 player, 63 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 13:53
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
You hear the voice say something in another language. Then again, and again, and again. If you want and try to recognize a language then you should roll your INT


(07:51, Today: Istvan rolled 20 using 1d20 ((20)). Nope.)

"I'm sorry, sir, I don't know that language either. I hope you can understand me... No understand. NO understand. Not yet. I don't suppose there's anything else you can try? Can you make these cabinets show pictures, maybe...?"
Istvan
 player, 64 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 13:53
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Istvan:
DudeMan McBro:
You hear the voice say something in another language. Then again, and again, and again. If you want and try to recognize a language then you should roll your INT


(07:51, Today: Istvan rolled 20 using 1d20 ((20)). Nope.)

"I'm sorry, sir, I don't know that language either. I hope you can understand me... No understand. NO understand. Not yet. I don't suppose there's anything else you can try? Can you make these cabinets show pictures, maybe...? Or-- hey! If you understand me, make a noise three times! If you don't make a noise three times, I'll know you're not understanding me either..."

DudeMan McBro
 GM, 86 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 14:06
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
As you keep talking there seems to not be anything happening until you suddenly hear things repeated that you can almost understand, but then in your own language.

What do you do?
Istvan
 player, 65 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 16:31
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
As you keep talking there seems to not be anything happening until you suddenly hear things repeated that you can almost understand, but then in your own language.


(I don't actually quite understand what you mean by the part in red.)


"Wait! Didn't that almost make sense? Grunter, did that part make any sense to you? Is any of this any more intelligible to a native Dwarvish speaker...?"

(10:30, Today: Istvan rolled 22 using 2d20 ((6,16)).

Since Istvan's INT is 9, one of these is a success, therefore either he or Grunter should be able to make some kind of sense out of that last part...)

DudeMan McBro
 GM, 87 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 17:31
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
As he says that to Grunter, Istvan suddenly hears the voice kind of repeating him. A few words are the same, others not exactly. Is the voice "learning" the language when you are speaking it? Is such a thing even possible? In any case, if that is true, you would be best to keep talking. A bard like you must know a good story to tell!

What do you do?


OOC: You were almost understanding it, but not as a foreign language. You were almost understanding it because it resembled your native language. That was what I was trying to communicate.
Istvan
 player, 66 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 02:06
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
As he says that to Grunter, Istvan suddenly hears the voice kind of repeating him. A few words are the same, others not exactly. Is the voice "learning" the language when you are speaking it? Is such a thing even possible? In any case, if that is true, you would be best to keep talking. A bard like you must know a good story to tell!

What do you do?


"Ah ha! My name is Istvan. This dwarf's name is Grunter. We came here in a caravan. The caravan is homes on the backs of giant tortoises. The giant tortoises eat grass..." Istvan talks and talks, speaking in clear, simple sentences...
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 88 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 08:11
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Eventually the voice has got things nailed down and has enough of an understanding of your language to communicate to you and grunter reasonably well. It says its name is Complex Alpha Computing Unit, or CACU for short. It had been asleep for a very long time and is only just waking up. You stil cannot see them. What do you do?
Istvan
 player, 67 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 15:04
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Eventually the voice has got things nailed down and has enough of an understanding of your language to communicate to you and grunter reasonably well. It says its name is Complex Alpha Computing Unit, or CACU for short. It had been asleep for a very long time and is only just waking up. You stil cannot see them. What do you do?


"Ah, hello, CACU. Where... where are you, exactly? I am in this sort of large domed room with the hole in the middle, with the part in the middle of the room that came up from a great depth. There is also a large plant on part of that middle part. Are you... are you down below? Or are you up here near the surface somewhere, like us...?"
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 89 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Tue 28 Jan 2020
at 05:19
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
"I am ... that is a difficult question. I am everywhere in the building, though I am still waking up. Some parts of me are still sleeping and not responding. There shouldn't be a plant on the elevator. There shouldn't be any plants on the lower floor. The cleaners must have failed!" the voice responds.

The torchbearer's eyes go wide when she here's the voice saying that it's everywhere. She falls to her knees. "It must be a god! We apologize for trespassing on your holy ground!" she starts praying.
Istvan
 player, 68 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 12:52
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
"I am ... that is a difficult question. I am everywhere in the building, though I am still waking up. Some parts of me are still sleeping and not responding. There shouldn't be a plant on the elevator. There shouldn't be any plants on the lower floor. The cleaners must have failed!" the voice responds.

The torchbearer's eyes go wide when she here's the voice saying that it's everywhere. She falls to her knees. "It must be a god! We apologize for trespassing on your holy ground!" she starts praying.


Istvan grasps that whatever the situation is, this is a place that is very old, and that some problems have arisen as a result of the place falling into disrepair... "CACU, we didn't mean to offend. We believed that no one lived here, or not anymore. We believe that there is something very important in here. Are you a god? Are you something magical? Are the plants causing you distress? Are you in need of aid?"
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 90 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 13:18
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
"I do not know if I am a god. How would you define a god? I am not magical, and I could use some aid indeed. I cannot connect to some of my systems. They must still be sleeping. If you could find them and wake them like you awoke me, I would be aided by you." it says. "There are not supposed to be plants in this area. There were some lower down when I last was waking, but not here."
Istvan
 player, 69 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 19:12
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
"I do not know if I am a god. How would you define a god? I am not magical, and I could use some aid indeed. I cannot connect to some of my systems. They must still be sleeping. If you could find them and wake them like you awoke me, I would be aided by you." it says. "There are not supposed to be plants in this area. There were some lower down when I last was waking, but not here."


"Well then, CACU, perhaps we can help one another. We were told by a priest that this building contains some sort of tablet that could be very good for our caravan to have. Do you have any idea to what that might refer...?"
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 91 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 20:32
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
CACU starts summarizing the meanings of "tablet":

quote:
tablet; noun (MEDICINE):
a small, solid piece of medicine:
• a sleeping tablet
• a vitamin tablet

tablet; noun (BLOCK):
a thin, flat, often square piece of hard material such as wood, stone, or metal:
• The poem was engraved on a tablet of stone.
• a tablet of soap

tablet; noun (COMPUTER):
(also tablet computer)
a small, flat computer that is controlled by touching the screen or by using a special pen

tablet; noun (PAPER)
sheets of paper that have been fastened together at one edge, used for writing or drawing; a pad:

wax tablet; noun (WRITING)
a tablet made of bone, wood, etc., and covered with wax, used by the ancients for writing with a stylus.

"There are many definitions for the word "tablet". Can you specify?"
Istvan
 player, 70 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 21:11
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
CACU starts summarizing the meanings of "tablet": "There are many definitions for the word "tablet". Can you specify?"



"I'm afraid the priest didn't specify more than that. I didn't get the impression that he meant medicine, and I don't know the word computer, and I bet he doesn't either, so he might not have meant that. The impression I got was that he meant a magical thing you can hold and carry around that can be useful, or which can have one or more positive effects... I could go ask him-- but I'm reluctant to interrupt talking to you, CACU, because I feel that our conversation is being very productive so far... And, honestly, I'm a little afraid that if I stop talking with you, you'll fall back to sleep, and I have so many things to ask you..."
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 92 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 21:17
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
"I have no magical items that I know of stored within. Having been recently awoken, I have no way of knowing what has ended up in my hold. The tablet you seek might be here still. As to sleeping. I am low on energy for the moment, but there is energy stored for me below. If connected to the structure it will power me for several decades at least, and I could help you seek my hold." CACU replies.
Istvan
 player, 71 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 22:04
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
"I have no magical items that I know of stored within. Having been recently awoken, I have no way of knowing what has ended up in my hold. The tablet you seek might be here still. As to sleeping. I am low on energy for the moment, but there is energy stored for me below. If connected to the structure it will power me for several decades at least, and I could help you seek my hold." CACU replies.


"Ah ha! So what we want might be in some hoard or treasure room...! All right, tell us what to do to help you stay awake!"
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 93 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Thu 30 Jan 2020
at 04:42
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
CACU replies: "If you move to the terminal on your right, you will see a screen there. It is better for me to show it than to try and describe it."

(I assume you move to the "terminal", and "screen" even if you don't know what they are. You can role-play that part if you want to.)

The screen shows an image of another strange looking cabinet. It has a yellow triangle on it with a black lightning symbol on it.

"This is a generator." CACU tells you. "It should have a wire connecting it to the wall. It should normally have blinking lights. Some of this will momentarily be untrue by my assessments. If the wire is exposed from it's cable, or broken, do not touch it. Instead look for the hazard suits stored in a closet close by there, in the same room. They will protect you from the current. If you wear them, you will be safe to touch the wires."

The "screen" changes its image to a map.

"The generator should be on the floor below, in this room", it says, and one of the rooms in the map shows up as yellow with a black lightning symbol on it. It currently has a big, red X over it. If you will step on the platform, I will lower you to the floor below."

The torchbearer is still face down on the ground, muttering to "the god of this place".
Istvan
 player, 72 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Thu 30 Jan 2020
at 13:53
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
CACU replies: "If you move to the terminal on your right, you will see a screen there. It is better for me to show it than to try and describe it."

(I assume you move to the "terminal", and "screen" even if you don't know what they are. You can role-play that part if you want to.)

The screen shows an image of another strange looking cabinet. It has a yellow triangle on it with a black lightning symbol on it.

"This is a generator." CACU tells you. "It should have a wire connecting it to the wall. It should normally have blinking lights. Some of this will momentarily be untrue by my assessments. If the wire is exposed from it's cable, or broken, do not touch it. Instead look for the hazard suits stored in a closet close by there, in the same room. They will protect you from the current. If you wear them, you will be safe to touch the wires."

The "screen" changes its image to a map.

"The generator should be on the floor below, in this room", it says, and one of the rooms in the map shows up as yellow with a black lightning symbol on it. It currently has a big, red X over it. If you will step on the platform, I will lower you to the floor below."

The torchbearer is still face down on the ground, muttering to "the god of this place".


"All right CACU, I'm going to take just a moment to speak to my companions, and then we'll step on the platform and let you lower us to the area below this one," Istvan says loudly.

Then he gathers his other companions together near the torchbearer. "Listen," he says to the torchbearer, just barely loud enough for all his companions to hear, "you've got to stop being afraid. Nothing you've heard means that anyone is out to get us or hurt us, right? CA-- the god of this place wants something, and we want something, so we're going to trade, all right? People trade things all the time. He's been asleep so long, dust has gathered and plants have grown and damaged his... home, all right? Maybe a little like how a tree too close to a house can eventually grow to damage it. That's probably why he hasn't woken up for too long. We'll help wake him up, and he'll help us find the tablet we want, right? He's learned our language, and he's been very reasonable. He just wants us to do some... housekeeping, a little home repair. That doesn't sound too scary, right? But if the house is that messy, we'll need light down there, and that means you. You can do this, right? If you're just supporting us...?"
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 96 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sun 2 Feb 2020
at 10:00
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
I was considering making a morale test, but I don't think it's needed yet. Hirelings basically need to succeed critically or run away. So I'll keep that in pocket for the really scary stuff. I could have you make a CHA test, but I don't think it's needed (yet).

She agrees to go with you, reverent of the opportunity to help out the god of this building. The four of you go to the platform. It's littered with large chunks of purple, spongy plant material. It has a strong odor. What do you do? (and roll for it)
Istvan
 player, 75 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 3
Sun 2 Feb 2020
at 14:42
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
I was considering making a morale test, but I don't think it's needed yet. Hirelings basically need to succeed critically or run away. So I'll keep that in pocket for the really scary stuff. I could have you make a CHA test, but I don't think it's needed (yet).

She agrees to go with you, reverent of the opportunity to help out the god of this building. The four of you go to the platform. It's littered with large chunks of purple, spongy plant material. It has a strong odor. What do you do? (and roll for it)


FIRST, Istvan has his friends tie the rope to something that won't move, and then puts the rest of the rope on the platform. What if the platform goes down, and then CACU goes back to sleep again? They'll need a way to climb out! (Again, in Istvan's case.)

Then, Istvan gets his hunter colleague's advice about the plant on the platform. "Hey, what do you think of this thing? Is it dangerous or anything? Should we be worried about it...?"

Istvan examines the plant too...

(08:38, Today: Istvan rolled 15 using 2d20 ((11,4)).

Rolled with advantage because Istvan's asking for a second opinion from a colleague. The second roll is a 4, so someone's got to have a good answer...

This is all BEFORE they actually step on the platform, incidentally... If the plant is dangerous, Istvan doesn't want to deal with it WHILE descending into darkness...)

DudeMan McBro
 GM, 97 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sun 2 Feb 2020
at 21:41
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Guaril and Istvan investigate the plant.. It quickly becomes clear that it’s a broken off piece of some kind of giant mushroom. It doesn’t immediately look dangerous.  Guaril takes a little piece and tastes it.

“Tastes good.” he says, and shrugs.

What do you do?
Istvan
 player, 76 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 3
Sun 2 Feb 2020
at 22:03
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Guaril and Istvan investigate the plant.. It quickly becomes clear that it’s a broken off piece of some kind of giant mushroom. It doesn’t immediately look dangerous.  Guaril takes a little piece and tastes it.

“Tastes good.” he says, and shrugs.

What do you do?


"All right, it seems safe as far as we can figure," says Istvan. "Everyone, let's step onto the platform..."

They all step onto the platform. "CACU, we're ready to be lowered..." he adds...
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 98 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 13:34
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
“Lowering the platform” CACU says, as the platform indeed starts to lower down into the earth. The platform is now being lit up with lines in it, and the same go along the walls of the shaft leading down. This dim illumination shows the rest of the plant, in pieces besides the platform. It seems to be a tree-sized mushroom. It must have been what broke your fall. The room you are in seems to be a big cavern, filled with a ‘forest’ of these mushrooms. At least as far as the platform lights and your torches seem to show. CACU’s voice comes from a small box in the platform. “There should be an illuminated line running along the ground. Can you see this?”

To find it, roll INT.

For other reasons, roll WIS.
Istvan
 player, 77 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 3
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 17:25
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
“Lowering the platform” CACU says, as the platform indeed starts to lower down into the earth. The platform is now being lit up with lines in it, and the same go along the walls of the shaft leading down. This dim illumination shows the rest of the plant, in pieces besides the platform. It seems to be a tree-sized mushroom. It must have been what broke your fall. The room you are in seems to be a big cavern, filled with a ‘forest’ of these mushrooms. At least as far as the platform lights and your torches seem to show. CACU’s voice comes from a small box in the platform. “There should be an illuminated line running along the ground. Can you see this?”

To find it, roll INT.

For other reasons, roll WIS.


Istvan turns to the hunter. "Hey, quick, help me find this line of light he's talking about," Istvan says quietly...

(11:23, Today: Istvan rolled 25 using 2d20 ((19,6)).

One of them found it, at least...)

DudeMan McBro
 GM, 101 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sat 8 Feb 2020
at 21:45
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
As you are all looking, there is no light to be found, but Guaril suddenly whistles for your attention and clears away some soil that covered a sort of wire or cable that he follows to the platform. “No light, but we could follow it? Or you ask ...” he gestures with his hand in the air, “Voice of this place.”
Istvan
 player, 80 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 3
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 21:04
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
As you are all looking, there is no light to be found, but Guaril suddenly whistles for your attention and clears away some soil that covered a sort of wire or cable that he follows to the platform. “No light, but we could follow it? Or you ask ...” he gestures with his hand in the air, “Voice of this place.”


"Let's start with that," says Istvan. A little louder, he says: "CACU? Can you hear me? We don't see the line of light you were talking about-- there's no light visible down here at all aside from the torch we brought with us... but we have could a sort of cord or cable that leads to this platform... Should we follow that...?"
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 102 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 21:05
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
CACU replies. “Ah, the cable should be lit up, but if it isn’t you should follow it. It shows the way.”
Istvan
 player, 81 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 3
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 21:26
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
CACU replies. “Ah, the cable should be lit up, but if it isn’t you should follow it. It shows the way.”


"All right, good. Thank you CACU, we'll try that. I'm going to sing a song... if you start losing the ability to hear me, warn me before we get too far away to hear your warning, please."

"All right, folks, let's follow this cable," says Istvan, and he sings a song.

When I was young I used to wait
Upon the prince to bring him his plate
And pass the bottle when he got dry
And warn if any dragons fly

And when he'd ride from tree to tree
I'd follow after, so to see
The pony could get rather shy
Should the shadow of a drake fly by

One day he rode too near the farm
But dragons there were known to swarm
One chanced to bite him on the knee
What happened next, I didn't see

Dragon flies, and I don't care
Dragon flies, and I don't care
Dragon flies, and I don't care
One took the prince away