Session 1: Search for the Tablet.   Posted by DudeMan McBro.Group: 0
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 49 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sat 7 Dec 2019
at 10:04
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Guaril frowns and nods as you ask him this. Youíre quickly learning that speaking isnít really his thing and heíll just as easily communicate in short grunts, pointed looks and expressions. He looks around a bit, takes hold of a stone the size of a human head with both hands and chucks it onto the entrance to the ruins. The floor collapses into a shaft that goes down deep. You hear a splash. The flap that fell down raises up again until the hole is covered again and some vines move over it to camouflage it. The torchbearer gasps.

ďPit Plant,Ē he says. ďFlesh eating plant.Ē

As to wether or not to climb the structure, Guaril merely shrugs. He doesnít seem to see any danger in it.
Istvan
 player, 32 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Sat 7 Dec 2019
at 18:04
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Guaril frowns and nods as you ask him this. Youíre quickly learning that speaking isnít really his thing and heíll just as easily communicate in short grunts, pointed looks and expressions. He looks around a bit, takes hold of a stone the size of a human head with both hands and chucks it onto the entrance to the ruins. The floor collapses into a shaft that goes down deep. You hear a splash. The flap that fell down raises up again until the hole is covered again and some vines move over it to camouflage it. The torchbearer gasps.

ďPit Plant,Ē he says. ďFlesh eating plant.Ē

As to wether or not to climb the structure, Guaril merely shrugs. He doesnít seem to see any danger in it.


Istvan tried getting some of his ladybugs to go look around inside the dome... (12:03, Today: Istvan rolled 20 using 1d20 ((20)). Big Failure!)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 53 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sun 8 Dec 2019
at 20:42
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
As Istvan tries to control his familiar swarm of ladybugs into the building entrance to have a look around he tries to look through their eyes. It doesn't work. In fact, he gets some psychic backlash and has a stinging headache. His next roll will be at a disadvantage!He's not sure what caused this. It should have worked. Is there perhaps a vile force opposing him inside the building? Is it magically sealed? Or did he just fumble while trying to use the link with his familiar? He doesn't know...

What do you do?
Istvan
 player, 33 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Sun 8 Dec 2019
at 21:26
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
As Istvan tries to control his familiar swarm of ladybugs into the building entrance to have a look around he tries to look through their eyes. It doesn't work. In fact, he gets some psychic backlash and has a stinging headache. His next roll will be at a disadvantage!He's not sure what caused this. It should have worked. Is there perhaps a vile force opposing him inside the building? Is it magically sealed? Or did he just fumble while trying to use the link with his familiar? He doesn't know...

What do you do?


Istvan sighs, and decides to try carefully climbing up to see if he can figure anything out that way.

(IF you need a roll for that: 15:24, Today: Istvan rolled 6 using 1d20 ((6)). Well within my Dex... but does disadvantage mean I should have rolled twice and taken the worse roll...?)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 54 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sun 8 Dec 2019
at 21:31
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Istvan:
(IF you need a roll for that: 15:24, Today: Istvan rolled 6 using 1d20 ((6)). Well within my Dex... but does disadvantage mean I should have rolled twice and taken the worse roll...?)


Yes. Disadvantage means rolling twice and taking the worst result. Sorry for assuming you knew.
Istvan
 player, 34 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Sun 8 Dec 2019
at 21:40
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Istvan:
(IF you need a roll for that: 15:24, Today: Istvan rolled 6 using 1d20 ((6)). Well within my Dex... but does disadvantage mean I should have rolled twice and taken the worse roll...?)


Yes. Disadvantage means rolling twice and taking the worst result. Sorry for assuming you knew.


(15:39, Today: Istvan rolled 4 using 1d20 ((4)). Whew! BOTH made it!)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 55 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Mon 9 Dec 2019
at 20:38
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
You climb up on the building and find both a greater view out over the area and a nest of some kind of flying lizard. It's about the size of a large dinner plate and has pearly tinted eggs in it the size of pineapples. (without the leafy bit). One of the eggs has hatched and a small pterodactyl like creature is screeching out for food since it saw movement.

The wind is rather strong up here and tugs at your clothes. The parent lizards seem to have left the nest for now.
What do you do?
Istvan
 player, 35 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Mon 9 Dec 2019
at 21:01
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
You climb up on the building and find both a greater view out over the area and a nest of some kind of flying lizard. It's about the size of a large dinner plate and has pearly tinted eggs in it the size of pineapples. (without the leafy bit). One of the eggs has hatched and a small pterodactyl like creature is screeching out for food since it saw movement.

The wind is rather strong up here and tugs at your clothes. The parent lizards seem to have left the nest for now.
What do you do?


Istvan immediately starts climbing right back down. Istvan is NOT here for flying lizards. In other circumstances, maybe. HERE? NO.

He doesn't touch the eggs, doesn't even look at them any further. Time to be down in one safe piece.

(Let me know if you need a new roll.)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 56 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Tue 10 Dec 2019
at 05:35
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Istvan gets down safely. You are in front of the building. With you are Grunter the Warrior, Guaril the hunter and a torchbearer. It's morning on Countingday, the 5th of The Moon of Doors in the year of the Longstriding Turtle.
Istvan
 player, 39 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 13:20
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Istvan gets down safely. You are in front of the building. With you are Grunter the Warrior, Guaril the hunter and a torchbearer. It's morning on Countingday, the 5th of The Moon of Doors in the year of the Longstriding Turtle.


"All right, this is ridiculous. Maybe the shield is a little small, but there's got to be something around here that'll work. C'mon, Istvan, focus. There's got to be a common-sense answer staring you in the face."

(Wis check: 07:19, Today: Istvan rolled 7 using 1d20 ((7)). Yay!)

DudeMan McBro
 GM, 60 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 13:43
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Good roll.

Istvan realizes that he just was able to quite easily climb the walls of the structure. If heíd climb the wall up to the door he could probably get through it without triggering the plant.

He also realizes that the reason he can easily climb the walls is in part because itís overgrown with thick vines. These could serve as flimsy rope or, with a bit of time, be woven into sturdy rope.

And then, looking back, he realizes the Caravan has shopkeeps and traders that probably sell gear he can use. Planks, ropes, poles, sheets, etc.
Istvan
 player, 40 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 14:01
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Good roll.

Istvan realizes that he just was able to quite easily climb the walls of the structure. If heíd climb the wall up to the door he could probably get through it without triggering the plant.

He also realizes that the reason he can easily climb the walls is in part because itís overgrown with thick vines. These could serve as flimsy rope or, with a bit of time, be woven into sturdy rope.

And then, looking back, he realizes the Caravan has shopkeeps and traders that probably sell gear he can use. Planks, ropes, poles, sheets, etc.


Istvan hurries back to a certain tortoise and knocks on the door of the cabin atop it. "Um hey we're exploring the ruined building thing, but there's a pit plant at the entrance? And I'm a little worried about our dwarven friend? So could we um borrow a couple of good sturdy planks to lay over it...?"
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 61 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 15:13
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
For the sake of expediency I rolled for a charisma check to see if people were willing to borrow you some wood, and um... Iím sorry!
16:09, Today: DudeMan McBro, on behalf of Istvan, rolled 20 using 1d20 ((20)).


The specific person you ask for the planks of wood is unwilling to give it to you. Sheís even angry at you, claiming that youíre just after an excuse to spy on her daughter! Now itís up to you to decide wether or not this is a valid concern or if sheís just being overly protective. Is there a history here?
Istvan
 player, 41 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Wed 11 Dec 2019
at 15:32
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
For the sake of expediency I rolled for a charisma check to see if people were willing to borrow you some wood, and um... Iím sorry!
16:09, Today: DudeMan McBro, on behalf of Istvan, rolled 20 using 1d20 ((20)).


The specific person you ask for the planks of wood is unwilling to give it to you. Sheís even angry at you, claiming that youíre just after an excuse to spy on her daughter! Now itís up to you to decide wether or not this is a valid concern or if sheís just being overly protective. Is there a history here?


No, her daughter's not as wonderful as she thinks, and also, Istvan likes smart girls.

But he's not going to say that.

"Um, what if I gave you a coin? To rent the planks?"
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 62 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Thu 12 Dec 2019
at 18:42
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Well, seeing the critical fail, the only thing you get is the door slammed in your face. There are, however, several shopkeepers where you could go to to buy stuff.

For 1d8 coins you can get crafting materials at the local vendor. If you want to spend time comparing prices and haggling you can roll the d8 twice and take the lowest result as the price, but time will progress.
Istvan
 player, 42 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3
Thu 12 Dec 2019
at 21:11
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Well, seeing the critical fail, the only thing you get is the door slammed in your face. There are, however, several shopkeepers where you could go to to buy stuff.

For 1d8 coins you can get crafting materials at the local vendor. If you want to spend time comparing prices and haggling you can roll the d8 twice and take the lowest result as the price, but time will progress.


Istvan feels like if he messes with this all day it'll be dark before he knows it, and he's feeling impatient.

But...

(Does Istvan's Charm: A Nearby NPC or Monster obeys a simple command and will perform a simple Action

Could he just charm the pit plant to not eat the dwarf? Or anyone, for just a minute...?)

DudeMan McBro
 GM, 65 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Mon 6 Jan 2020
at 22:02
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
The pit plant would not count as an npc or monster, but as a natural trap. So that wouldnít work. There are rumours, though, of magic users having found spells to control plants. That would be a complete other quest though, if Istvan were to seek that spell out.

Also, just to be sure you understand it, if you just buy it you roll a d8, it costs that much and you donít lose time. If you haggle and compare prices to get advantage on the roll (meaning rolling twice and taking the best result) then you loose time.
Istvan
 player, 48 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 1
Thu 9 Jan 2020
at 23:35
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet

Well, although there wasn't exactly a rush, in the morning, the pit plant and the unexplored building would still be there, so Istvan bought the plank... but tried to haggle for it:

(11:32, Yesterday: Istvan rolled 8 using 1d8 with rolls of 8.

17:35, Today: Istvan rolled 5 using 1d8 with rolls of 5.)


It cost Istvan 5 coins... at least he had 3 left. The greedy woman would have cleaned him out if he'd been in more of a hurry...
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 70 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Thu 9 Jan 2020
at 23:52
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
The sun is standing high in the sky when Istvan, Grunter, Guaril and the Torchbearer get back to the ruin with the pit plant. The darkness inside seemed invitingly cool. Grunter is carrying the stack of planks. The shopkeep only sold in bulk, and didnít want to make an exception for Istvan. At least his winning smile and persuasive haggling had got the prize down, and hey, perhaps whatís left over could still be useful inside a ruin. You never knew in what kind of state of decay those ruins are.

Planks are bulky, a two hands item. Iíll try to refresh my memory on how items and carrying work again later in the weekend, but just know that it takes up some space. Also, itís not a one use item, so Iíll give it some usage dice. Again, Iím gonna refresh my mind on how that works again later as well.

Now it is sleepy time. Oh. Could you roll 2d6 for me and list the dice results separately while you wait for me to decide things?
Istvan
 player, 49 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 1
Fri 10 Jan 2020
at 02:36
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
The sun is standing high in the sky when Istvan, Grunter, Guaril and the Torchbearer get back to the ruin with the pit plant. The darkness inside seemed invitingly cool. Grunter is carrying the stack of planks. The shopkeep only sold in bulk, and didnít want to make an exception for Istvan. At least his winning smile and persuasive haggling had got the prize down, and hey, perhaps whatís left over could still be useful inside a ruin. You never knew in what kind of state of decay those ruins are.

Planks are bulky, a two hands item. Iíll try to refresh my memory on how items and carrying work again later in the weekend, but just know that it takes up some space. Also, itís not a one use item, so Iíll give it some usage dice. Again, Iím gonna refresh my mind on how that works again later as well.

Now it is sleepy time. Oh. Could you roll 2d6 for me and list the dice results separately while you wait for me to decide things?


20:36, Today: Istvan rolled 5 using 2d6 ((2,3)).
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 71 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sat 11 Jan 2020
at 23:15
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
The planks will be a Ud8 item.

But yes, you are standing in front of the ruin, nothing much has changed except that the sun is higher in the sky.
If you just use a plank to cross without making it a more permanent fixture you succeed automatically. Roll a d8 as you enter the ruin to see if your usage die stays the same. If you roll a 1 or 2 itíll become a Ud6 instead of staying a Ud8.
Istvan
 player, 50 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 1
Sat 11 Jan 2020
at 23:36
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
The planks will be a Ud8 item.

But yes, you are standing in front of the ruin, nothing much has changed except that the sun is higher in the sky.
If you just use a plank to cross without making it a more permanent fixture


Yep

DudeMan McBro:
you succeed automatically. Roll a d8 as you enter the ruin to see if your usage die stays the same. If you roll a 1 or 2 itíll become a Ud6 instead of staying a Ud8.


17:36, Today: Istvan rolled 1 using 1d8 ((1)).
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 72 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Mon 13 Jan 2020
at 10:02
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Man, you have had some bad luck rolling recently.

When first trying a plank, it just fell into the plant, but after that, all was successful and you step into the ruin. It's a large, dark, circular chamber. The only light is the light from outside that comes in through the doorway. The Torchbearer looks at you to see wether or not you want her to light a torch.

What do you do?
Istvan
 player, 51 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 1
Mon 13 Jan 2020
at 16:11
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Man, you have had some bad luck rolling recently.

When first trying a plank, it just fell into the plant, but after that, all was successful and you step into the ruin. It's a large, dark, circular chamber. The only light is the light from outside that comes in through the doorway. The Torchbearer looks at you to see wether or not you want her to light a torch.

What do you do?


Definitely light a torch, especially if it's too dark to tell if there are other exits from the chamber and where they are...
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 73 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 15 Jan 2020
at 10:06
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
The torchbearer lights a torch and holds it aloft, revealing the room to be large and circular, made largely of the same material. In the floor however, there is a giant pit. Basically the floor has a pit fabricated in it purposefully and visibly. Itís rimmed by a dark metal rim. There seem to be some kind of cabinets lined along the walls. They have a thick coating of dust and debris.

The light scares a roost of bats on the ceiling, they try to fly out frantically. Roll dexterity please.