Session 1: Search for the Tablet.   Posted by DudeMan McBro.Group: 0
Istvan
 player, 52 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 1
Wed 15 Jan 2020
at 18:10
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
The torchbearer lights a torch and holds it aloft, revealing the room to be large and circular, made largely of the same material. In the floor however, there is a giant pit. Basically the floor has a pit fabricated in it purposefully and visibly. Itís rimmed by a dark metal rim. There seem to be some kind of cabinets lined along the walls. They have a thick coating of dust and debris.

The light scares a roost of bats on the ceiling, they try to fly out frantically. Roll dexterity please.



(DEXTERITY   15

12:10, Today: Istvan rolled 15 using 1d20 ((15)).)

DudeMan McBro
 GM, 74 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 15 Jan 2020
at 21:22
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Oooh nooo, you needed below! Well, a bad thing happens.

You try to avoid the swarm of bats that comes towards you and you heart jumps in your chest as you feel your foot slip and then fall. You fall for quite a bit until you land on something soft and bounce off falling on some harder surface. It feels like a layer of dirt on a harder surface. It is dark. You see some light above, probably from the torchbearer. You hear your name being called from above, as if they are looking for you.
Istvan
 player, 53 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 1
Wed 15 Jan 2020
at 22:33
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Oooh nooo, you needed below! Well, a bad thing happens.

You try to avoid the swarm of bats that comes towards you and you heart jumps in your chest as you feel your foot slip and then fall. You fall for quite a bit until you land on something soft and bounce off falling on some harder surface. It feels like a layer of dirt on a harder surface. It is dark. You see some light above, probably from the torchbearer. You hear your name being called from above, as if they are looking for you.


I might regret this, thinks Istvan, but... "I'm alive," Istvan calls... trying to be JUST loud enough for them to hear. "Fell on something soft, at first..."
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 76 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sun 19 Jan 2020
at 17:55
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
"Ok", you hear Guaril whisper-yell. "I will find something to help."

Then it's silent. The light still shines above. You don't know how long it took. Perhaps you thought that they went to town to buy rope or something. But then you hear movement again. Not long after that one of the black vines that grew outside on the ruin is lowered down the hole. It's been knotted to another one. Guaril must have made it as a makeshift rope.

"Grunter is holding it. Do you want to come up or should we come down?" he asks.
Istvan
 player, 54 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 1
Sun 19 Jan 2020
at 18:00
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
"Ok", you hear Guaril whisper-yell. "I will find something to help."

Then it's silent. The light still shines above. You don't know how long it took. Perhaps you thought that they went to town to buy rope or something. But then you hear movement again. Not long after that one of the black vines that grew outside on the ruin is lowered down the hole. It's been knotted to another one. Guaril must have made it as a makeshift rope.

"Grunter is holding it. Do you want to come up or should we come down?" he asks.


"I'll try coming up, for now..." says Istvan...

(I want to try to climb back up there, for now...)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 77 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sun 19 Jan 2020
at 21:37
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
I should have added that youíd have to roll under your dex to climb up. Sorry. Iím trying to get better at this so as not to lose time with just roll.
Istvan
 player, 55 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 1
Mon 20 Jan 2020
at 00:57
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
I should have added that youíd have to roll under your dex to climb up. Sorry. Iím trying to get better at this so as not to lose time with just roll.


(18:56, Today: Istvan rolled 9 using 1d20 ((9)): Success.)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 78 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Mon 20 Jan 2020
at 04:53
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
You get up safe and sound! You are in a large circular room wit only two visible exits, the door out and the big hole/pit in the center of the room you fell in.
In the flickering torchlight you see this room is lined with strange looking cabinets of some kind. They are covered with dust, rubble and bat poop.

What do you do? (and roll a d20 for doing it)
Istvan
 player, 56 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 1
Mon 20 Jan 2020
at 13:54
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
You get up safe and sound! You are in a large circular room wit only two visible exits, the door out and the big hole/pit in the center of the room you fell in.
In the flickering torchlight you see this room is lined with strange looking cabinets of some kind. They are covered with dust, rubble and bat poop.

What do you do? (and roll a d20 for doing it)


(07:51, Today: Istvan rolled 16 using 1d20 ((16)). Failure.)

Finally, Istvan can do what he wanted to do when he climbed up-- examine the cabinets... He tries to use all his brains and wisdom to select one in particular...

He decides to try the one that looks like, before this place was abandoned, it might have been most-often used. "Open that one, Grunter, and let's see what might be inside..." Istvan instructs... (He has his harp at the ready, just in case the unexpected might happen...)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 79 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 09:25
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
The cabinets are made from an unknown material! If it had been a type of metal Grunter should have been able to recognise it, but he canít. Itís also clearly not wood. This is strange! Grunter starts removing the rubble and cobwebs from it coughing a bit, when all of a sudden the cabinet lights up and has all kinds of lights blinking on it. Your torchbearer lets out a short yelp in surprise as she was providing the light. It seems like some things can be pushed or toggled or something. Grunter thinks itís kind of a clockwork thing, like some dwarven tradesmen could make, while to you it reminds you of keys and valves of musical instruments you have seen before.

Guaril looks at the cabinet suspiciously but seeing you guys handling it keeps his eyes on the entrance and the hole.
What do you do next? (and roll for it, with advantage if you have help or if your background applies!)

GAME MECHANICS UPDATE:
1) You have started exploring a new area! You gain 1XP! (you can spend it to level when you spend money and tell about your story in a party like environment. Basically, itís buying everyone a drink and celebrating by telling tales after an adventure, but we can interpret this loosely if needed.)
2) Any time you get someone to help you, assume you can roll with advantage! Like you just got Grunter to help you, which would have gotten you advantage! Also keep in mind that if you can use your background for something, you can roll with advantage!

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:29, Wed 22 Jan 2020.

Istvan
 player, 57 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 14:17
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
The cabinets are made from an unknown material! If it had been a type of metal Grunter should have been able to recognise it, but he canít. Itís also clearly not wood. This is strange! Grunter starts removing the rubble and cobwebs from it coughing a bit, when all of a sudden the cabinet lights up and has all kinds of lights blinking on it. Your torchbearer lets out a short yelp in surprise as she was providing the light. It seems like some things can be pushed or toggled or something. Grunter thinks itís kind of a clockwork thing, like some dwarven tradesmen could make, while to you it reminds you of keys and valves of musical instruments you have seen before.

Guaril looks at the cabinet suspiciously but seeing you guys handling it keeps his eyes on the entrance and the hole.
What do you do next? (and roll for it, with advantage if you have help or if your background applies!)

GAME MECHANICS UPDATE:
1) You have started exploring a new area! You gain 1XP! (you can spend it to level when you spend money and tell about your story in a party like environment. Basically, itís buying everyone a drink and celebrating by telling tales after an adventure, but we can interpret this loosely if needed.)
2) Any time you get someone to help you, assume you can roll with advantage! Like you just got Grunter to help you, which would have gotten you advantage! Also keep in mind that if you can use your background for something, you can roll with advantage!



Ah ha!

Istvan tells the torchbearer to bring the light over closer. He wants to see if there's any sort of symbols or colors or other markings on the keys or valves or whatever that tells one from another. Like, if one had a happy face :) on it, he'd want to push that one first.

Of course, maybe they'll all look alike, but it's worth a look...

(Not rolling yet, because this is just about examining something for information first...)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 80 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 14:52
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
There are indeed markings on it, but to see wether you can make sense of it or not Iíll need a roll against your intelligence. The Torchbearer is helping you by providing ample light, so you have advantage.
Istvan
 player, 58 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 16:39
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
There are indeed markings on it, but to see wether you can make sense of it or not Iíll need a roll against your intelligence. The Torchbearer is helping you by providing ample light, so you have advantage.


(10:37, Today: Istvan rolled 31 using 2d20 ((19,12)). Both over Istvan's Int score.)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 81 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 21:22
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Istvan is unable to make sense of it. Some look like pictograms but others are just a strange language. And the pictograms arenít very clear. Thereís one that looks like a person with their hands in the air, but what would that mean? It could be many things. A greeting, a warning, surrender... Some other buttons are so covered with dust and grime that they are caked on. Thereís no way to clean them without possibly pushing or flipping them.

What do you do?
Istvan
 player, 59 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 21:44
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Istvan is unable to make sense of it. Some look like pictograms but others are just a strange language. And the pictograms arenít very clear. Thereís one that looks like a person with their hands in the air, but what would that mean? It could be many things. A greeting, a warning, surrender... Some other buttons are so covered with dust and grime that they are caked on. Thereís no way to clean them without possibly pushing or flipping them.

What do you do?


"Guys, I'm thinking about pushing the guy-with-his-hands-up button. I'm hoping it means 'make something interesting rise up out of the hole.' Anyone wanna talk me out of it? Because the alternative-- since I don't see any other way out of this room except the way we came in-- is to go down the rope-vine and explore down there, and I'm not crazy about that either... even though I accept that there's a very good chance we'll have to try it soon..."
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 82 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 21:54
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Guaril grimaces, signaling that heís not a fan of trying, but he doesnít seem like heíd stop you. The torchbearer seems to have gotten over her first fright and is mesmerized by the pretty lights. She seems to like the idea of trying it out. Grunter seems to be lost in thought and staring off in space.

If youíre just gonna try and push stuff that seems like either relying on intuition, which sounds like a wisdom roll or just sheer force of personality and daring the universe, which would be charisma. No help this time is no advantage, unless you can bring in you background somehow.
Istvan
 player, 60 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 22:10
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Guaril grimaces, signaling that heís not a fan of trying, but he doesnít seem like heíd stop you. The torchbearer seems to have gotten over her first fright and is mesmerized by the pretty lights. She seems to like the idea of trying it out. Grunter seems to be lost in thought and staring off in space.

If youíre just gonna try and push stuff that seems like either relying on intuition, which sounds like a wisdom roll or just sheer force of personality and daring the universe, which would be charisma. No help this time is no advantage, unless you can bring in you background somehow.


(Yeah, but what about the guy-with-his-hands-up button? That need a roll?)
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 83 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 22:29
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Yes. To see if it is a good symbol or a bad one.
Istvan
 player, 61 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 22:34
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
Yes. To see if it is a good symbol or a bad one.



(Heck with it then. Charisma, to charm the gods of fate...

16:34, Today: Istvan rolled 11 using 1d20 ((11)).

Istvan's Charisma: 14. Success...!)

DudeMan McBro
 GM, 84 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 05:16
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
You push the button and ... nothing happens, so you push again, the torchbearer cant help herself and pushes another, you start pushing random buttons and all of a sudden there is a slight whining sound as the walls itself start to give light and more of the cabinets light up around the room. A screeching sound is heard from the pit and coming closer until eventually the hole in the floor is closed by a dirt covered metal circle on which fragments of some extremely large type of plant life lie.

There is a voice you can hear, talking in a language you have never heard before, but no-one is to be seen. The voice sounds kind of raspy as well.

What do you do?
Istvan
 player, 62 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 13:19
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
You push the button and ... nothing happens, so you push again, the torchbearer cant help herself and pushes another, you start pushing random buttons and all of a sudden there is a slight whining sound as the walls itself start to give light and more of the cabinets light up around the room. A screeching sound is heard from the pit and coming closer until eventually the hole in the floor is closed by a dirt covered metal circle on which fragments of some extremely large type of plant life lie.

There is a voice you can hear, talking in a language you have never heard before, but no-one is to be seen. The voice sounds kind of raspy as well.

What do you do?


(OOC: AH HA! So THAT'S what we're doing! (Thinks: "raspy?" "raspy?" Why does that feel like I should-- OH! AH HA! Of COURSE! Because THAT'S what we're doing! Got it!)

(Also: Wow, that probably really was quite a ways down. Istvan was lucky to survive it.))


"Hello?" Istvan says loudly to the air. "Person speaking? I'm sorry, but I don't think any of us know your language! Maybe it's a very old language...? Does anything I'm saying make sense to you? Can you hear me, or is this just for you speaking to us? I hope you can hear me... We're here looking for an important piece of knowledge! Hello?"
DudeMan McBro
 GM, 85 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 13:23
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
You hear the voice say something in another language. Then again, and again, and again. If you want and try to recognize a language then you should roll your INT
Istvan
 player, 63 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 13:53
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
DudeMan McBro:
You hear the voice say something in another language. Then again, and again, and again. If you want and try to recognize a language then you should roll your INT


(07:51, Today: Istvan rolled 20 using 1d20 ((20)). Nope.)

"I'm sorry, sir, I don't know that language either. I hope you can understand me... No understand. NO understand. Not yet. I don't suppose there's anything else you can try? Can you make these cabinets show pictures, maybe...?"
Istvan
 player, 64 posts
 Human Music-Mage/Harpist
 HP: 3/3 || XP: 2
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 13:53
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
Istvan:
DudeMan McBro:
You hear the voice say something in another language. Then again, and again, and again. If you want and try to recognize a language then you should roll your INT


(07:51, Today: Istvan rolled 20 using 1d20 ((20)). Nope.)

"I'm sorry, sir, I don't know that language either. I hope you can understand me... No understand. NO understand. Not yet. I don't suppose there's anything else you can try? Can you make these cabinets show pictures, maybe...? Or-- hey! If you understand me, make a noise three times! If you don't make a noise three times, I'll know you're not understanding me either..."

DudeMan McBro
 GM, 86 posts
 DudeBro McMan
 BroMan McDude
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 14:06
Re: Session 1: Search for the Tablet
As you keep talking there seems to not be anything happening until you suddenly hear things repeated that you can almost understand, but then in your own language.

What do you do?