Altdorf by night.   Posted by Storyteller.Group: 0
Storyteller
 GM, 148 posts
Fri 23 Apr 2021
at 09:41
Re: Altdorf by night.
The evening comes, darkness falls, and the air chills significantly once the light of the day vanishes.
The wind still blows heavily westwards; with the town of Faltdorf being just south of you. Turning north, you notice a dirt road leading up to the Chapel on the hill, placing Walters house on the outskirts of town, far enough to be hidden but offering some view down towards the outskirts of the main city and the inn or rather the townsquare with the well in the middle, being just visible.

Roughly around midnight you notice a large selection of torches being carried midtown(whoever is on watch that is). 15 minutes pass, and you notice only that they remain in town, vanishing out of sight multiple times, growing in numbers.
At one point you hear a muffled or curious yell or a scream almost, and notice commotion in town. It is hard to make out details, but something is happening.
Etain Seanait
 player, 130 posts
 15/15 Fa.3/3 Fo.2/3
 Artisan Weaponsmith
Sat 24 Apr 2021
at 03:32
Re: Altdorf by night.
Etain got up and threw another log on the fire to keep away the chill of the night and on her way back she looked out the window to see torches in the town square [Language unknown:  "Ssan osevos u din"] she says to her lover and points to the ever growing collection of torches moving in and out [Language unknown:  "Anwees he for ntnt ti k atul thort day"] she adds nodding her head to the stairs.
Marie Arceneaux
 player, 72 posts
 Knight of the Realm
 For the Lady and the King
Sun 25 Apr 2021
at 20:04
Re: Altdorf by night.
[Language unknown:  "Intes. E rat i re lat. Dinveroer nc po ernana on ad ennand and ome. Terut e tha lotr ove his isis atidi. Lataat ck waich stsime p asth di no lat. M intavekor m chofusle nceardvir, Ca hemopr behope notne ouol et,"] she whispered back, glancing up the stairs and out at the torches.

It took some time to don all he many layers of armor, so while Etain roused the others, Marie began the long process. She wished that she was back at her grandfather's castle at a time like this. Servants were so useful when it came to preparing for battle in a hurry.
Etain Seanait
 player, 131 posts
 15/15 Fa.3/3 Fo.2/3
 Artisan Weaponsmith
Mon 26 Apr 2021
at 16:53
Re: Altdorf by night.
Nodding at Marie's instruction and heads upstairs saying [Language unknown:  "Sime ardpo staer onbe na ure astundain e" ] At the first room she knocks on the room and heads inside and uses the butt of her axe to poke "Hey wake up the townspeople look to be gathering in the town centre and torches are being lit."
Milly Minhelm
 player, 61 posts
Mon 26 Apr 2021
at 19:56
Re: Altdorf by night.
Slowly shedding her drowsiness Milly rubbed her eyes while asking. "Torches? Is there a mob outside? What did you do to them?" She didn't seem particularly alarmed, granted, from what she could tell, if there was a mob outside it was a very well behaved one. "Did you wake up that oaf of Jareik downstairs if you haven't already, he seemed most keen on having an eventful night." The wizard added while yawning.
Etain Seanait
 player, 132 posts
 15/15 Fa.3/3 Fo.2/3
 Artisan Weaponsmith
Tue 27 Apr 2021
at 03:30
Re: Altdorf by night.
"They are in the town centre but are likely gathering there numbers to come here and torch this place" she says to the wizard "Get up and dressed we may need to leave quickly" as she makes her way out the door and downstairs.

Once she gets downstairs she nudges Jareik awake and informs him of the growing mob before heading over to Marie and helped her lace up the armour.
Jareik Schneider
 player, 161 posts
Tue 27 Apr 2021
at 16:34
Re: Altdorf by night.
Jareik drowsily growled "Already?" when prodded but quickly found his bearing, dragging himself to the window with a yawn to get a better look for himself.

"Myrmidia's teats, this is an odd hour for a town meeting."
He hastily started strapping on his own armor, he wasn't sure what the villagers were up to but he doubted it was anything good.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:10, Tue 27 Apr.

Milly Minhelm
 player, 62 posts
Sat 1 May 2021
at 00:32
Re: Altdorf by night.
Milly got her boots and hat on and headed downstairs yawning loudly. "So, Want to go check whatever that is about? Maybe scare and scatter them?"
Etain Seanait
 player, 134 posts
 15/15 Fa.3/3 Fo.2/3
 Artisan Weaponsmith
Sun 2 May 2021
at 02:03
Re: Altdorf by night.
"Might be worth it to head them off if they are coming here to burn the place with us inside" She says looking over Marie's shoulder to see what she thought of the idea as she laced up another piece of her armour.
Marie Arceneaux
 player, 74 posts
 Knight of the Realm
 For the Lady and the King
Sun 2 May 2021
at 14:04
Re: Altdorf by night.
"I'd rather meet them in the field if that is their intention. Lady forbid our host has his home burned down simply because of our presence. Merde! Juste...boucle!" Marie muttered between curses as she struggled into the many layers.

"Even if it is an innocent gathering, we are already awake, we might as well see what is going on. Better sleepy in the morning than dead, after all," she continued, leaning on Etain for better balance for a moment.
Jareik Schneider
 player, 163 posts
Mon 3 May 2021
at 02:07
Re: Altdorf by night.
Jareik finised securing his greaves and strapping on his sword belt.
"Damned fools, I know a pitchfork mob isn't renowned for clear thinking but if they wanted to burn us inside the house they really should have been more discreet about it."

He got up and looked through the window. "Doesn't look like they moved much. Waiting for something perhaps? Only one way to find out I guess."
He sheathed his various pieces of steel and finished by holstering his handgun with a flourish. Cracking his neck, he waited by the door and kept a wary eye out for movement from the masses of torches.
Storyteller
 GM, 155 posts
Mon 3 May 2021
at 08:51
Re: Altdorf by night.
From a distance you noticed more movement, but still composed in a large gathering midtown.
They remained, as if someone or something kept them there, reciebving a message, order or alignment or indeed waiting for something.
A rough estimate showed at least forty torches.

You had the high ground. A small road west of you led downhill. The Chapel was farther up hill, and the town downwards. That was both a blessing and curse. If you came down, you would be seen, assuming you used light sources. Given the light from town, that was however not needed.
The walk down to the gathering was roughly five minutes, no more, even in heavy armor. The outskirt of town was sparse for vegetation and trees, leaving little to hide within. An option would be to circle west past Walters house and come from behind, but that would take at least three times the time.

You heard a loud voice moving in, but could not make out the words. You see a man, cloaked in a rope akin to the clergy at the chapel. You have yet to be noticed.
Milly Minhelm
 player, 63 posts
Mon 3 May 2021
at 11:43
Re: Altdorf by night.
"We come in force with stealthy stride, no deceit, just shamelessly barge in out of nowhere." She whispered to the rest. "The townsfolk may be unwelcoming but that hardly warrants having strangers brutalizing them for no good reason." Even if the mob was gathered with ill intent towards them, confronting it head on without weapons drawn would be the best way to go about it, or so she wagered and hoped her peers agreed to.
Etain Seanait
 player, 135 posts
 15/15 Fa.3/3 Fo.2/3
 Artisan Weaponsmith
Tue 4 May 2021
at 03:47
Re: Altdorf by night.
"I agree we go in with confidence and keep an eye on each other, if we need to leave we run for it, keep to the roads and run, I'm sure we are all better fed and in better shape then them" she says waiting to see what the others think.
Jareik Schneider
 player, 165 posts
Tue 4 May 2021
at 21:45
Re: Altdorf by night.
"I ain't looking to cut down country bumpkins if I can help it but I ain't turning tail and running like a goblin either if they chase us down." said Jareik with a frown.
"Wizard if things do get rough can't you just conjure some laughing flaming head or something to scare them off? I've seen your kind in action before, that'll give the mob pause for thought. Not asking you to turn people to ash, gods, just to scare them a little if they do anything stupid."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:55, Tue 04 May.

Milly Minhelm
 player, 64 posts
Wed 5 May 2021
at 01:20
Re: Altdorf by night.
"Are you suggesting that I should turn one or several of them into toads?" She inquired back with a surprise and a raised eyebrow lost in the darkness surrounding them. "Mobs are cowardly by nature, nobody is willing to single themselves out from it and throw the first rock unless you give them the chance to do so without fear of consequence. They are likely outraged by something and seeking to vent their righteous anger on the source of their outrage or any seemingly suitable scapegoat, we just have to make it very clear that we are not it and they will go back to their homes after a while."
Marie Arceneaux
 player, 75 posts
 Knight of the Realm
 For the Lady and the King
Wed 5 May 2021
at 21:49
Re: Altdorf by night.
"Sorcière Minhelm is correct. Peasants are a cowardly, superstitious lot, especially when formed into a mob. That will scatter easily enough if their ringleaders are appeased or taken down. Besides, it would be a very foolish crowd indeed to desire to take on a group such as ours in combat. Not only are we well armed, but combined with our 'foreign' members, I am sure we appear most intimidating..." Marie agreed from atop her steed.

Though she had no desire to run down unarmed peasants, she knew that a good charge from a full knight on horseback was a frightening prospect, and she could probably scatter them alone if needed.

"But let us find out what has roused them before we begin think of violence or fleeing," she suggested, idly petting Josette's neck.
Jareik Schneider
 player, 166 posts
Thu 6 May 2021
at 20:45
Re: Altdorf by night.
"Allright but if things turn nasty and you all run off and ditch me I swear to Morr I'm coming back as a very angry skeleton." he said half sarcastically, in the old world the dead hardly sleep peacefully.
Storyteller
 GM, 158 posts
Fri 7 May 2021
at 07:41
Re: Altdorf by night.
You close in on a larger gathering, as if the town has rounded up all in sight, old and young. In the middle of the group stands the Sheriff, and speaks to the group.
At first not noticing you, you manage to hear a few things, before he abruptly stops.
"....We will head to the circle of gathering, for one has been found to be cleansed by Juno, and to raised anew. The soul is already at the circle, being kept by the clergy of Juno, so we will head there...."
The Sheriff turned.
"Well...that is a surprise. Sorry, we are in the middle of a town meeting. You could of course join along, if you so like. Do note, it is an honor and much like church we expect silence and orderly conduct during the ceremony, so please keep this in mind. Alternatively, we shall return in an hour or so...Also, during ceremonies we carry no arms nor weapons. In respect to Juno and the holy site."
The town turned, calmly and eyed you with torches in hand, and curious demeanor.
It was obvious that they were cautious and waiting for your next move.
Jareik Schneider
 player, 168 posts
Sat 8 May 2021
at 20:05
Re: Altdorf by night.
The Sheriff was more amenable then Jareik expected given their recent interactions, he decided it was best not to antagonise him: "Evening Sheriff, we saw the torches and...thought perhaps there was some sort of trouble so we came to see if we could help." he white lied.

The offer to tag along in their ceremony was a surprising one. "I ain't too sure I'm keen in participating in a pagan ceremony, but they ain't jumped us so that's a good sign I guess?" he whispered to the others.
Marie Arceneaux
 player, 78 posts
 Knight of the Realm
 For the Lady and the King
Mon 10 May 2021
at 21:51
Re: Altdorf by night.
Marine blinked in surprise at the warmer welcome than she had expected. Normally when she had seen torches in the middle of the night they had usually been paired with pitchforks and lynchings. That they were expected to disarm was concerning, but in line with many religious ceremonies, so perhaps not unreasonable.

"Oui, that is a good sign Herr Schneider. But I am curious. We got all dressed up, we might as well see this dance through..." she whispered back from horseback.
Jareik Schneider
 player, 170 posts
Fri 14 May 2021
at 16:15
Re: Altdorf by night.
"I suppose...If there's no second thoughts from anyone then I guess we are doing this then. I'd normally be a bit cagey about disarming myself but thankfully we have a wizard of the incendiary variety with us."

He toyed with the idea of staying behind then trying to trail the group, relying on his sharper eyesight in the dark then most but decided it wasn't worth the risk.
Etain Seanait
 player, 137 posts
 15/15 Fa.3/3 Fo.2/3
 Artisan Weaponsmith
Sun 16 May 2021
at 01:49
Re: Altdorf by night.
"Where will our weapons be stored whilst we are gone, it is a great disservice if knight loses their weapon I believe." She says to the Sheriff "And who needs to be cleansed and how does that go about? I have been to a great many lands, Albion of my birth, Norsca, Kislev and many lands of Empire and have seen a great many ways of cleansing."
Jareik Schneider
 player, 172 posts
Sun 16 May 2021
at 09:17
Re: Altdorf by night.
Jareik shifted uncomfortably as Etain not only blurted out her foreign origins in case the villagers were starting to forget their xenophobia but mentions traveling to Norsca so casually as if it was just another empire province.
Storyteller
 GM, 161 posts
Mon 17 May 2021
at 12:32
Re: Altdorf by night.
The Sheriff turned and silenced the crowd.
"We will store these in the safest location around here. MY office. The doors are heavy, locked and I have guards within, guarding safe room with a lock. Could not ask for anything further. I will even offer, as kindness that a large chest can be placed within, with a lock and you can hold the key yourself. We welcome you, and will gladly accommodate and show that."
He smiled, with an almost desirable look in his eye that was if nothing else curious.

As for the questions of the ceremony he was a tad more tightly lipped.
"Ah, see, we follow the faith of the lands. Treat the gods, the land and the harvest with uttermost respect, follow the word of Juno and sacrifice to the gods, to ensure rain and prosperous times. If anyone defies that, well, our community will suffer even if one soul goes against that logic. One souls action, can harm us all. And that is not something we tolerate. The woman we have at the site, has corrupted herself against this ideology and the town, and her cleansing is making amends to Juno and the harvest ahead. With any means needed. Such is the times, and we all agree on that don't we?!"
The crowd roared in delight and acknowledgement.
The Sheriff roared.
"We march! To the site of Ceremony!"