01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant (Goliath, Juice, Tian)   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Control
 GM, 97 posts
 Control
Mon 9 Dec 2019
at 02:02
Re: 01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant (Goliath, Juice, Tian)
Goliath:
In our scouting of it the types of cargo being loaded on it and how is it guarded what is around it etc. So we can decide how to proceed with the job at hand.


You've got a 4-step clock for gathering information.  If you ask Dowler and he can provide that information, he will.  But some things will require you to gather the information yourself.  Things like the above are best done by surveying the scene...  I give it a Position/Effect of: Controlled/Standard.

When you feel you're ready (or the clock runs out), you'll need to give me a plan and a detail (see p 127).

Goliath
 Player, 28 posts
 Hull (Cutter)
Mon 9 Dec 2019
at 03:29
Re: 01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant (Goliath, Juice, Tian)
"Dowler, Do you know anyone who handles cargo or shipping manifests for ships in particular the one we will be fixing for you. "

Looks to Tian, "any chance you can assist me with a little scouting of the ship,docks,and how they handle the cargo and who handles the cargo?"

looks to Juice, "Any chance you can make or acquire some acids or small explosives we can use to make some accidents happen with.?"

I am going to make an info gathering roll assuming that i have the assist from Tian to speed things up.

Survey: 1d plus 1 for assist and 1 for push; Total of 3d

22:27, Today: Secret Roll: Goliath rolled 14 using 3d6 with rolls of 4,6,4.  Info gathering Survey for sabotage job.

I take 2 stress and Tian takes one if she assisted me if not my 2d were a 4,6
Juice
 Player, 15 posts
 Leech
Mon 9 Dec 2019
at 07:26
Re: 01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant (Goliath, Juice, Tian)
"Puposeful accidents just happen to be a specialty of mine, in fact." Juice jingles the flasks he has on his belt against each other. "But I find explosions to be better distractions than anything else. They're just so... inelegant a solution in a world full of options. This steamer of yours, ironsides or otherwise? Meltable and flammable are remarkably different properties for being such near cousins.... "
Goliath
 Player, 29 posts
 Hull (Cutter)
Mon 9 Dec 2019
at 08:50
Re: 01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant (Goliath, Juice, Tian)
Smiles at Juice and his enthusiasm, " We have much to talk about and plan, figure we could make about a half a dozen accidents.  The melt-able acid or whatever sounds awesome for several of my ideas. If you could prep some of your fine concoctions, Tian and i will survey the ship and come up with some ideas."
Control
 GM, 100 posts
 Control
Mon 9 Dec 2019
at 16:15
Re: 01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant (Goliath, Juice, Tian)
Dowler pursed his lips and nodded.  "Hmmm....  I might know someone who knows someone in the harbormaster's office."

6 is a success.  For Survey.

I'm quite happy to have Tian assist if it furthers the story!  Good use of the system.

Between Dowler's pulling in a favor, and the team doing their part, you get the following:

The Cormorant is a very sturdy steamship.  Metal hull with an iron prow.  It's scored and beaten and appears to have survived battles of some sort or another.  It's got a massive engine compartment for it's size, and a work-crew that drinks heavily in the dockside bars.

Reid is a new Captain, inexperienced and while he's reputed to be an excellent sailor, he's a little weak on the leadership side.  One of the sailors at the Siren's Call made the opinion that Reid's men were likely to keelhaul him if he relied on the whip too much.


Stress updated on the tracking thread.

Goliath
 Player, 30 posts
 Hull (Cutter)
Mon 9 Dec 2019
at 19:35
Re: 01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant (Goliath, Juice, Tian)
While back in the lair,planning for the job at hand. "My idea for this job guys, please speak up an make suggestions or alterations to perfect it." he looks around momentarily before continuing. "We will use stealth and deception for this job. I will be in a cargo container filled with engine parts and liquid loaded on the ship. At the proper time I will exit it and start to sabotage what I can. Plus will drop whatever extra loot I can back into the container to have off loaded once the ship wont be able to make its departure. I am thinking I will melt the anchor chain in several places, they will have to cut it free and use a back up. I also plan on messing with the rudder, either damaging it or wedging spikes in different places. Plus whatever other opportunities offer themselves up. The rudder is my last target as i will leave the ship by water and make my escape that way."

Looks at both Juice and Tian, "You both have slightly harder jobs. You both will have papers from the harbormaster's office for an inspection on the engines or other areas. With your knowledge of tinkering and wrecking it should be easy to pass yourselves off as engineers or mechanics. Do what you can as a team, one distracting whomever is escorting you while the other damages something. take turns assisting each other. You guys are the real job, I am there to make some efforts at it and possible draw their attention. Do your jobs and just walk off the ship when done, "

"If it starts to go bad I will make sure their attention is on me and make my escape over the side. We will get the coin owed plus sell whatever extra loot I can load up in the container. Should be good pay for two days worth of prep and the job itself."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:46, Mon 09 Dec 2019.

Juice
 Player, 16 posts
 Leech
Tue 10 Dec 2019
at 00:28
Re: 01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant (Goliath, Juice, Tian)
Juice is busy grinding up herbs in a mortar and pestle as the trio lounged around planning their score. The fumes are strong, and Juice's eyes are red and tearing up above a facemask he wears pressed over his mouth and nose.

"I like the outlines, Goliath." Juice's eyebrows are jumping uncontrollably from the effect of the herbs. "And while I'm positive those engines will be a trivial task, I've never really fit into the... 'authority' roll if you know what I'm saying." He rubs tears from his eyes with a grey sleeve and pours the puree into a tube which he corks. "Hopefully Tian will be able to do most of the charming, haha!" The laugh displaces the facemask and breaks into a wheeze and a cough that doubles him over.
Tian
 NPC, 4 posts
 Undefined
Tue 10 Dec 2019
at 01:32
Re: 01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant (Goliath, Juice, Tian)
"Ah, it's easy!" Tian said.  "You just act like you know what your ding.  Most people don't know what they're doing, let alone you, so it's just easier to accept whatever's right in front of you."

She nodded after a moment. "So, I'm the buttoned-up official and you're the inspector.  Works for me."
Control
 GM, 104 posts
 Control
Tue 10 Dec 2019
at 01:35
Re: 01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant (Goliath, Juice, Tian)
As far as I'm concerned, we've got a plan.  Two-pronged approach.  With Goliath separate and a defined Stealth approach, you've also provided the key detail (the point of entry).  So, I'll work on building the in media res entry to the score proper.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:50, Sun 26 Jan.

Control
 GM, 111 posts
 Control
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 22:18
01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant Goliath
The docks was a place that never slept.  A row of ancient stone warehouses, some with carved-stone gargoyles and bas reliefs of mythological creatures adorning their corners looking over the trellises and riggings that lined virtually every road and byway.

There were some newer electro-rails elevated from the main roads, but most of it was sturdy wooden beams and makeshift structures to lift and haul cargo containers on and off the ship.

Senior dockers led crews of workers in the on-loading and off-loading, some signing, more swearing, all sweating and grunting, dirty and smelly.  This was Duskvol's true heart, a memory of the outpost of the Skov kingdom.




--
OOC:

The plan:
Goliath --> Cargo container
  • engine parts and liquid loaded
  • melt the anchor chain in several places, mess with the rudder
  • leave the ship by water and make my escape that way.


Juice & Tian
  • Get papers from harbour-masters office
  • Pose as inspectors, damage as opportunity presents


Remember, you can always set things up in flashbacks.  Including gathering information...

Tian
 NPC, 5 posts
 Undefined
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 22:19
01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant Goliath
I've taken the liberty of having Tian roll to secure the appropriate papers from the harbour-master's office.

Risky/Standard to acquire the right papers by consorting with contacts who have access.

So  R/S: +2d Consort.  Rolled 6, 6.  So, yay!  That gives us increased effect!)

Any suggestions for that?

Perhaps this means that we are able to get a template mostly filled out, rather than just a blank form.  It'd save us the need to get a forgery done...  Just plop our names in there, and we're good to go.  Should be enough to pass basic scrutiny.

Would that work for you guys?

Goliath
 Player, 33 posts
 Hull (Cutter)
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 22:26
01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant Goliath
Sounds great  to me
Control
 GM, 112 posts
 Control
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 22:33
01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant Goliath
So... now, we're looking for a basic engagement roll.


+1dFor sheer luckBase
+1dIs this operation particularly bold or daring?Yes!
-Does this plan detail expose a vulnerability of the target or hit them where they're weakest?No
-Is this target strongest against this approach or  do they have particular defenses or special preparations?No
+1dCan any friends or contacts provide aid or insight  for this op?Yes *
-Any enemies or rivals interfering in this op?No
-Any other elements to consider?No
+3dTOTAL 

* The Sea Birds are a Tier II faction.  They can offer some assistance in getting set-up for this.  They're the paying client, after all.  They just can't be directly involved in the destruction.  But getting you in...  sure!  Use them as you see fit.

Our results on the Engagement roll will determine the resolution of the approach and the nature of the first obstacle.

Since we're splitting the party up,  I'd like both Goliath and Juice to roll separate engagement rolls.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:34, Sun 26 Jan.

Goliath
 Player, 34 posts
 Hull (Cutter)
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 22:47
01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant Goliath
17:47, Today: Goliath rolled 10 using 3d6 with rolls of 3,3,4.  Goliath set up roll.
Juice
 Player, 19 posts
 Leech
Mon 27 Jan 2020
at 05:35
01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant Goliath
00:34, Today: Juice rolled 17 using 3d6 with rolls of 6,6,5.  Engagement.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:35, Mon 27 Jan.

Control
 GM, 113 posts
 Control
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 18:45
Re: 01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant Goliath
REDACTED.

Copied to message #31

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:30, Sun 09 Feb.

Control
 GM, 114 posts
 Control
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 19:02
Re: 01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant - Juice & Tian
Juice:
00:34, Today: Juice rolled 17 using 3d6 with rolls of 6,6,5.  Engagement.



Okay, so a critical success.   Means you bypass the initial obstacle of the talking to the dock-master, and we move to the second obstacle: getting onto the ship itself.

The papers Tian had acquired were good.  The fact that the Cormorant had actually been scheduled for an inspection had worked in their favor. Rather than forging whole new papers, the crew simply had to replace their names and re-affix the seal of the harbour-master.   Of course, when the actual inspector showed up, there was going to be hell to pay.  But by that time, they'd be long gone and the Cormorant wasn't going to be in any position to go anywhere.

Toxic Jack Scraw was a big man with an enormous beard and one large snarly tooth.  He had a great smile despite the look, and seemed almost larger than life.   He'd been part of a leviathan hunter crew and had survived three tours before one of the battles took three fingers of his left hand.  It made him less able to operate the harpoon cannons they used.   His left-hand never fully recovered and it was wrapped in bandages that seeped with a brackish black filth: a mix of blood and a pungeant ungent that he used to nullify the pain.  He'd served out the rest of the voyage as quartermaster and turned out he actually had a head for numbers.

When Tian handed him the paperwork, he barely even glanced at it, but rather gave her a once up and down and then Juice, the same treatment.   "You look uptight. " he said after a moment.  "Don't sweat yer shorts.  The bird's ready when you are.  Ain't half loaded yet, 'as the  the south winch is bein' repaired.   But you head on over. talk to Tolliver.  He's actin as that ships  Master til that asshole of a cap'n gets his butt out of the brothel."

Scraw didn't go with them.  Just gave them an oilskin rag with the dockmaster's sigil on it, and bid them be on their way.  Though his eyes did linger on Juice's form perhaps just a little bit longer than was absolutely necessary.

Tian noted it, nudged Juice on their way to the gangplank to the Cormorant.  "Here I was preparing to do the coy act.  If we need to win him over, maybe it' s got to be you who wiggles his ass and shows a little shoulder, eh?"


As they reached the gangplank, a slim woman of an undetermined age stood at the top.   She was dressed head to toe in oiled rags of blackened Leviathan skin.  It's thick leather was silent as she moved.  There were two curved daggers on her belt and a bulging pouch at her side.

She had brown hair, lanky and greasy, tied back in a rough ponytail, and there was black and grey smears across the left side of her face.  A large purplish bruise under her right eye accentuated the look, and she scowled down at them.

"What's your business on the Cormorant?"   She called to them.
Juice
 Player, 20 posts
 Leech
Thu 30 Jan 2020
at 02:51
Re: 01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant - Juice & Tian
As the two of them walk onto the Cormorant, Juice smiles at Tian's implication, "Just don't get me shakin' too fast or we'll all be havin' an explosive good time!" He winks, a gesture made all the wilder by the crazy eye he can never seem to keep from bugging out of it's socket.

As they approach the slim woman, eh looks up at her, "Just here for a lil' official look-see and paper-stampin'." Juice says it even as he looks around for the engine, the rudder, the winch, or any other sorta mechanical whatever that he might get his grubby paws on. "Be a good lass, won'tcha and show us the engine room." He gestures to the oilskin that Tian is carrying and hooks a thumb through the belt slung over one shoulder.

OOC: Would prefer Tian does any swaying here as I don't suppose she's the sort I'd have met before to lead a consort with. I'm happy to join in as an assist, but am probably better selling my stress for a dice than leading anything myself.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:53, Thu 30 Jan.

Tian
 NPC, 7 posts
 Undefined
Fri 31 Jan 2020
at 15:45
Re: 01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant - Juice & Tian
quote:
OOC: Would prefer Tian does any swaying here as I don't suppose she's the sort I'd have met before to lead a consort with. I'm happy to join in as an assist, but am probably better selling my stress for a dice than leading anything myself.


Well, as it is, Tian also doesn't have any ranking in Sway.  But, given the circumstances, I'm sure that she can Command with a little better effect.
Tian rolled 4 using 1d6 with rolls of 4.  Command:1 Tolliver.
So... Standard effect.


Tian waved a hand around as if she were distracted, her eyes wandering to the Leviathan Hunter out in the harbour.  "Had word that somebody was moving Scarlet Dust through the docks.  Given your captain's recent turn, he's my boss's natural suspect.   Now, we don't think the Cormorant is fast enough nor sleek enough to be running Iruvuain dust through the main port.   But it's above our pay-grade.  We just do what we're told.  So, let's just make this easy, will you?  Let us take a look around and we'll make it quick and painless. "

Tian patted her front and her back, her chest, then nodded as if she'd forgotten something and just remembered.  She pulled out the oil-rag with the harbour-master's symbol.
NPC
 NPC, 1 post
Fri 31 Jan 2020
at 15:55
Re: 01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant - Juice & Tian
"No." The woman said.  Then she stammered, her own eyes going wide.  "I mean, yes.   Yes! Of course.!  You just weren't the the inspector I was expecting.  And I don't know anything about Scarlet Dust.  But, if you want, I'm sure we can assist you in any way you'd like." 

She offered a shy smile, belying her true age.  She may've come across as harsh up front but now she seemed more like a child playing at being an adult.  Still, the knives on her belt weren't just for show.  "Anything to help make this go by quickly and, uh, efficiently."
Tian
 NPC, 8 posts
 Undefined
Fri 31 Jan 2020
at 16:03
Re: 01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant - Juice & Tian
"Excellent." Tian said. nodding her head.  "Why don't you take us in to the bridge and we'll discuss the details of our, ah, inspection, with Master Tolliver."

The girl swallowed, and nodded, stepping out of the way, allowing Tian and Juice on-board.

Tian nodded to Juice while speaking to the girl.  "Give it a cursory once-over.  Throw Captain Reid's name around a bit.  If anyone gives you trouble, show them the mark." She handed the harbour-master's rag to Juice.  "I'm sure it won't take long to come to a reasonable agreement with master Tolliver.  I'll find you when we're done?"
Juice
 Active, 21 posts
 Leech
Sat 1 Feb 2020
at 13:01
Re: 01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant - Juice & Tian
Juice takes the harbor master's symbol and grins crookedly at Tian, "Yup yup, of course! Just a quick glance, I'm sure things're on the up and up. I'll be fast as a blink." His hand has wandered to his bandolier again, his thumb is rubbing the top of one of the vials secured there. "Meet up 'fore you know it." He starts to walk off onto the ship, surveying for good sabotage opportunities (rudder, masts, engines, hull)

08:03, Today: Juice rolled 6 using 1d6 with rolls of 6. Survey

This message was last edited by the player at 13:03, Sat 01 Feb.

Control
 GM, 126 posts
 Control
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 04:27
Re: 01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant - Juice & Tian
JUICE

quote:
08:03, Today: Juice rolled 6 using 1d6 with rolls of 6. Survey


Given it's a six, consider it successful.     Okay... how do you go about surveying the situation?  What do you hope to understand?


The Cormorant isn't enormous.  But there are people working all over it, stowing cargo and personal gear.

Juice climbed down the very narrow stairwell into the belly of the ship.   There were a number of tiny cabins inside--individual berths, most very spartan, and two larger rooms holding several cots.  beyond the corridor, another set of steps led down into the ships hold, where a number of men stowed the goods under the opened roof of the hold.

Above, the hollow bell of harbour tolled three bells, indicating the arrival of a large ship.  One of the workers, an old man with a metal hook for a hand looked up, his eyes bleary and blood-shot.   "Militia-Ship."  he called, and a couple of the other workers looked vaguely nervous.  "Stow the crystals.  Prepare for inspection!"

One, a beefy bear of a man, brandished a broad-leafed sword and moved to the far end, where another doorway led away, presumably to the engine room or the bilges.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:29, Sun 09 Feb.

Control
 GM, 127 posts
 Control
Sun 9 Feb 2020
at 04:29
Re: 01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant - Juice & Tian

GOLIATH:

Goliath:
17:47, Today: Goliath rolled 10 using 3d6 with rolls of 3,3,4.  Goliath set up roll.


Okay, so a risky position to start with.


At this time of day, the docks were a thrum of activity.  Two new ships on the same strand as the Cormorant were being unloaded while both the Cormorant and another--Charybdis Choice--were being loaded.  Out beyond them, one of the giant leviathan hunters had pulled in and it's crew was being ferried to the docks for a little rest and relaxation.

Getting into position quietly and without fuss was direct and simple.  There were simply too many people about for anyone to be paying too much close attention.

The crates being loaded onto the Cormorant were large: the size of a small house.  One of the docksmen controlled a giant winch to hoist the crates off the prep-zones and into the open hold, lowering it in from above.  There were three of the enormous storage crates and several dozen smaller crates, along a whole bunch of barrels and trunks probably used for food and water for the voyage.

The first crate was loosely constructed with wood half-rotted and torn in places.  The contents appeared to be a number of bolts of fine cloths.  The second crate was sealed tight with red and brown wood, indicating livestock.  There were air-holes and a loose grating along the top.   The third was constructed of metal and had had symbols both eteched into the surface and painted over top.  Wards of containment, primarily.

Goliath found the easiest entry was the rotted container holding the bolts of cloth.     He kept to the shadows and snuck between the cloth crate and the licestock crate, hearing the shuffling of the creatures within, the short chuff of air and the muffled stamp of feet.

As he carefully removed a sizable planking from the side of the crate, a voice called out to him, hissing with clandestine intent.

"Hey!"  a woman's voice.  "Mister.  Hey you.  You gotta get us out of here.  This is a mistake!  I don't know where I am.  Where we are.  What's happening?"

The voice came from the livestock crate, mere feet away from him.  Of course there was a chance he could ignore her.    But there was also a chance that she could raise the alarm...  Mind you, she was inside the livestock crate, which meant she was probably being shipped to Iruvia herself...

So, first obstacle.   You've got a witness (at east one).  In the livestock crate on the dock.  What's the play?
Juice
 Active, 22 posts
 Leech
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 01:20
Re: 01.03: Sabotage the Cormorant - Juice & Tian
Juice walks down to the engine room, pulling a vial from his bandolier and tucking it up his sleeve in preparation. "Let's see what we've got down here, eh?" He whistles as he enters the chamber, looking for any witnesses crew members who are manning the engine room, and for the main turbine.