[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni.   Posted by The Referee.Group: 0
Laurent Marin
 NPC, 2 posts
Mon 6 Jan 2020
at 10:31
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
19:37 (Ship's Time) - Passenger Common Area - Dinner Seating

"So that's when I told the Ambassador, sure, I can help you smuggle your dead dog across an international border, so it can be cremated.  As long as you don't mind bribing a few customs folks with cheap bourbon." Martin said hautily, ending a rather long and not exciting story of dealing with some local cultural mores regarding alcohol and dogs on a desert world he had served on.  Alcohol he seemed to know much about and he had only stopped in order to reach for his wine glass.

That's when he started to convulse, collapsing immediately on the table with a crash.  Glasses and plates cried out with the weight of the diplomat, some flying off the table and crashing on to the floor.

With violent jerks and convolutions, Laurent Marin writhed on the table.  He started vomiting as the convulsions continued.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 11:58, Mon 06 Jan.

Juan Ley
 NPC, 3 posts
Mon 6 Jan 2020
at 10:33
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
"By the Ancients, what is happening?" Juan Ley said loud enough to be heard in the next compartment.

"Doctor, Doctor!  Help him, please!!"

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 11:07, Mon 06 Jan.

Theodore McStubbin
 player, 38 posts
 UPP - 77CB77
 Chef/Steward 4th Officer
Mon 6 Jan 2020
at 16:00
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
Teddy jumped right into action to work to keep his airway open, "Quick doctor, he's in trouble! Does he have any allergies?" Teddy asks his wife!
Juan Ley
 NPC, 4 posts
Mon 6 Jan 2020
at 16:07
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
"Hey, that's my wife!" Juan said, looking over at Naamidu, who had removed herself from the dinner table and run off to their stateroom.  The door was probably already locked by now.  So much for a nice evening, Juan thought to himself.

Pointing at Marin, Juan add, "I think he's divorced.. a few times.  Not sure about allergies.  None that I know of."

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 16:07, Mon 06 Jan.

Dr. Duncan Halleck
 player, 46 posts
 Ship's Surgeon
 57BAC7
Sat 11 Jan 2020
at 22:40
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
Hearing the shouting, Duncan rushes in with only his pants on, the rest of his body still half-bare and wet from the shower and with the medkit in his hand. He looks at the scene and yells, "Clear the table!" He then moves over to the ambassador, focuses at Theo and states as he bends down, "Help me lift him up".

After putting the convulsing patient on the table and putting him in the recovery position to ensure accessibility of the airways, the doctor fiddles with his handcomp to start the medical agent. He and proceeds to check on the patient while asking, "What happened, exactly?".


23:38, Today: Dr. Duncan Halleck rolled 9 using 2d6+6.  Checking up on mr. Martin.

The Referee
 GM, 130 posts
Sun 12 Jan 2020
at 10:06
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
After Teddy protects the patients airway, Dr. Halleck is able to stop the convulsions, but only after Marin slips into a coma.  His vital signs stabilize, but they are very weak.

The agent on his handcomp is of little help, offering the following after a few minutes of scans:

Unknown disease process or toxin

Indeed, what's happened here is unlike anything Doctor Halleck is familiar with.  It's definitely not food poisoning, choking, or anything of a routine nature.
Theodore McStubbin
 player, 40 posts
 UPP - 77CB77
 Chef/Steward 4th Officer
Sun 12 Jan 2020
at 14:05
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
"Poison? It wasn't in the food, not when delivered anyway."
Travis McGee
 player, 7 posts
Mon 13 Jan 2020
at 07:10
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
Travis is tied up most waking hours learning the ships systems and jump drive, making notes on what could be updated or is in danger of failing. It's a long list, but this ship was still in better shape than the mining ships he had crewed on.

He was calibrating a plasma flow sensor, blissfully unaware of what was occurring on the mess decks.
The Referee
 GM, 134 posts
Mon 13 Jan 2020
at 07:16
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
By now several of the other passengers had removed themselves from the table and were gossiping in the corner.  Some had a very frightened look on their face and snippets of their conversations could be heard -

What if he's contagious?

He told me he's some kind of diplomat, so who knows where he's been and what kind of space bugs he might have.

Can't the ship just leave jump space and drop this man at a hospital?

If he dies, will they just put him back with the cargo?  Or do they put him back in his stateroom?  Eww... I hope MY stateroom has never had a dead body in it...

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:17, Mon 13 Jan.

Dr. Duncan Halleck
 player, 49 posts
 Ship's Surgeon
 57BAC7
Mon 13 Jan 2020
at 15:41
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
"I believe you Chef", Duncan states with a hint of tension, "but bag it and tag it anyway."

"Everything ate or drank from.", the doctor adds while motioning to the table and glasses, "Also, did anyone else than who is now here had contact with him during the last hour or so?".

Unable to do much more for the Ambassador at the moment, the surgeon took a moment to overview his options. Having reached a decision he reached for a hypo-injector and injected the comatose body with fast drugs.

In addition, he reached for his commbead to contact the Aelasaid. <<< Comm "Captain, we have a situation here.", Duncan stated with a sigh, "The Ambassador has fallen seriously ill.". He wanted to add, possibly a toxin, but seeing the other passengers worry he decided against it. Waiting for a moment for the message to sink in he continued, "I would recommend we convene at the earliest opportunity to discuss our options."  Comm Over >>>

Having contacted the captain, Duncan cleaned his hands before moving over to the other passengers. "At the moment there is no need to fear, I have no indication   that it is anything contagious.", he said talking around the subject. "That said, if you have any information regarding the ambassador, or are worried that you have any symptoms, I will be available.", he continued trying to placate the group.

That said, he turned towards the assistant and asked, nudging towards his patient, "Mr. Ley, would help me moving mr. Marin to his room?"

This message was last edited by the player at 18:43, Mon 13 Jan.

Aelasaid Mor McLauchlan
 player, 25 posts
 CMM: 2Off (Loire Valley)
 Pilot/Astrogator/Captain
Mon 13 Jan 2020
at 18:42
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
Aelasaid had just finished her rounds on the bridge; as primary on the crew for bridge duty she took her job seriously, but couldn't be there all the time.  Still, having just visited the passengers and the common room as a courtesy to those with high passage that expected such things, the red-headed pilot was planning to retire to her cabin to freshen up a bit when the call came through on the crew's common channel.

Her eyes widened slightly as the message continued and she tapped her ear bud, "Acknowledged, Doctor.  On my way."  Ally trotted down the corridor with many scenarios running through her head.

Arriving in time to hear Duncan responding to some of the passenger concerns, Aelasaid nodded curtly.  "Dr. Halleck is quite right." she noted, trying to sound confident, "There is nothing further to be concerned about.  The counselor is fine hands."  Holding up her hands up in an open and placating manner as she attempted to herd them back to their tables and kept them away from the doctor and his patient.  Ally reiterated, "As Dr. Halleck has noted there is no contagion ... we are working to ensure the ambassador's safety and speedy recovery." gesturing again, she cleared space, "Please, return to your seats, give us a little space to work."  A casual smile touched her lips, even if this wasn't the happiest set of circumstances; Aelasaid had to trust that that doctor had things well in hand.

She glanced Teddy's way to make sure that the two of them could set up an appropriate distraction for the rest of the passengers while they attempted to whisk away Marin to a more private setting.  Aelasaid started to clear the place setting by stuffing a napkin in the wineglass and wrapping the entire lot in the table's cloth covering to try and isolate it for later.
Juan Ley
 NPC, 5 posts
Wed 15 Jan 2020
at 08:13
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
"Sure, I can help.  Let me grab his feet," Juan said.  He made his way over and helped move the unconscious Laurent out of the dinning area and back to his stateroom.

"I chatted with him before dinner and he seemed fine.  Wonder what happened?" Ley added.
The Referee
 GM, 135 posts
Wed 15 Jan 2020
at 08:19
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
Aelasaid's effort to calm the other passengers and persuade them to return to their seats worked.  The small groups of concerned travellers broke up and either returned to finish their dinner, or in most cases, returned to their stateroom.

Down in engineering, Travis was busy baselining engineering systems.  There was nothing out of the ordinary and everything seemed to be functioning as well as could be expected.
Dr. Duncan Halleck
 player, 50 posts
 Ship's Surgeon
 57BAC7
Wed 15 Jan 2020
at 13:54
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
Duncan kept silent for a moment, before mumbling a low, "I have my suspicions." He looked up at mr. Ley as the laid the ambassador on his bed, apparently wanting to explain, hold his word and instead said, "This is something I will have to discuss with the crew first.". The doctor then dipped the ambassador's lips with water to provide some moisture for his now slowed metabolism and turned towards the door.

Leaving the ambassadors stateroom, Duncan stated to the assistant, "Thank you for the assist. I suggest you turn in early.".

Duncan then made his way towards the crew area. As he passed the passenger common area he sought explicit eye contact with both Captain Aelasaid and Steward Theodore in an attempt to signal then to join him, but uttered not a word.
Theodore McStubbin
 player, 41 posts
 UPP - 77CB77
 Chef/Steward 4th Officer
Wed 15 Jan 2020
at 13:59
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
Teddy followed the doctor.
Dr. Duncan Halleck
 player, 51 posts
 Ship's Surgeon
 57BAC7
Thu 16 Jan 2020
at 05:57
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
Duncan leaned on the table, his gaze switching from a blank wall to Teddy the moment he walked in. "What ...", he started in a harsh voice, stopped himself with a sigh and continued in a more normal voice with but a slight edge, "What happened, exactly?"
Theodore McStubbin
 player, 42 posts
 UPP - 77CB77
 Chef/Steward 4th Officer
Thu 16 Jan 2020
at 12:55
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
Teddy describes everything he remembers to the doctor.

"So that's when I told the Ambassador, sure, I can help you smuggle your dead dog across an international border, so it can be cremated.  As long as you don't mind bribing a few customs folks with cheap bourbon." Martin said haughtily, ending a rather long and not exciting story of dealing with some local cultural mores regarding alcohol and dogs on a desert world he had served on.  Alcohol he seemed to know much about and he had only stopped in order to reach for his wine glass.

That's when he started to convulse, collapsing immediately on the table with a crash.  Glasses and plates cried out with the weight of the diplomat, some flying off the table and crashing on to the floor.

With violent jerks and convolutions, Laurent Marin writhed on the table.  He started vomiting as the convulsions continued.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:56, Thu 16 Jan.

Dr. Duncan Halleck
 player, 55 posts
 Ship's Surgeon
 57BAC7
Fri 17 Jan 2020
at 20:57
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
The doctor listens intensely to the steward, nodding at moments or asking specifying questions. The man seemed to calm down and then muttered, "He does drink like a fish, doesn't he."

"A curious trait in an ambassador I would say", Duncan said pondering, "but then so is coming for premature conclusions in a doctor.", adding softly with a sigh, "we all make mistakes."

The doctor moved over to the entrance of the crew area and kept the door closed. "Now, I am not a virologist, nor a toxicologist", he explained, "My experience is mainly in battlefield trauma. However my fear is that the ambassador is poisoned."

"That said, I mentioned premature conclusions and this might be one of them.", the man says pondering, "Therefore I would like to check if the ambassador uses any medicine or uses other substances."

Duncan, aware of the possible implications, then explains his predicament, "However that does mean I need to search the belongings of an ambassador..."

This message was last edited by the player at 09:20, Sat 18 Jan.

Theodore McStubbin
 player, 44 posts
 UPP - 77CB77
 Chef/Steward 4th Officer
Tue 21 Jan 2020
at 14:41
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
"Search them if it might save his life."
Dr. Duncan Halleck
 player, 56 posts
 Ship's Surgeon
 57BAC7
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 19:21
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
Duncan nods once and replies, "Right.", he pauses for a moment, before continuing, "Could you start questioning the passengers about what they saw that happened? As I said before, my fear is poisoning, and if so, testimony should be gotten while it is still fresh."

The doctor then opens the door and makes his way towards the cabin of the ambassador.

There he first examines the body for any indications of medical alert indications, and to be thorough, any indications of drug use or needle punctures in the usual places and the neck. He then proceeds to check the ambassador's pockets and finally he searched the rest of the ambassadors belongings.

Finally he does a final check-up on the ambassador's body, to see if he missed anything in his previous check.
Aelasaid Mor McLauchlan
 player, 26 posts
 CMM: 2Off (Loire Valley)
 Pilot/Astrogator/Captain
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 22:06
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
Aelasaid hasn't been able to break away from the passengers.  Her instincts tell her that with the minimal crew they have onboard that someone needs to stay and keep an eye on the rest of their charges; she's been trying to monitor the crew channel for updates.

++Stuck interfacing with passengers++ she noted briefly, as she circulated.  Her down-to-earth style had never made friends in formal settings, but the young woman could be quite personable one-on-one.  So, Ally got down to the serious business of finding out how the various passengers were coping.  She didn't push about the matter, allowing those around her to broach whatever topic spurred their interest, but was careful to note reactions and attitudes.

The ambassador might have enemies or supporters, personal or professional, onboard and it would behoove them to find out more at this point.  Those types of leanings had suddenly become quite germane; whether they concerned trade agreements, travel restrictions, or political leanings.  Anything with strong backing needed to be considered.


[OOC:  Aelasaid will try some Persuade...

  14:03, Today: Aelasaid Mor McLauchlan rolled 10 using 2d6+3.  Persuade/INT: The situation with the Ambassador.. - [roll=1579816985.39767.337352]

Ref, let me know if more or different rolls are necessary.  Aelasaid's Investigate/Recon or Carouse skill is not nearly as good as her Persuade, but might be more appropo.  She does have Steward/1; so, she should be able to keep the passengers reasonably satisfied (not as well as Teddy, but that's life)]

The Referee
 GM, 138 posts
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 11:43
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
Inside the Ambassador's cabin, Duncan starts to check his patient.  A skin search reveals nothing unusual, in fact, from what Halleck can tell, even moles and other potential benign skin artifacts that are typical for a man Marin's age, have been removed.  A quick check with the mediscanner shows that his appendix is gone as well.  Halleck's experience tells him that Marin likely has routine check ups and that his doctor is a believer in prophylactic surgery.  Given the patient's occupation, it's not unwanted.

Laurent Marin's pockets contain items typical for his station and occupation - a credstick, personal comm, an ID dot that displays a holographic badge and building pass.  The p-comm is a high end model, but still within local manufacturing capabilities of Collace.  The p-comm displays changes when it is removed from Marin's pockets.

"Press to logon"


The Referee
 GM, 139 posts
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 11:44
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
In reply to Aelasaid Mor McLauchlan (msg # 22):

Most of the passengers seemed to be taking things in stride.  None confessed to ever meeting or knowing Laurent Martin before the journey started, with the exception of course of Juan Ley.
Juan Ley
 NPC, 6 posts
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 11:52
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
"How's he doing?  Did the doctor find anything yet?" Ley asked when he saw Aelasaid.

"There's a wall when you come in to the Ministry HQ inscribed with names of every Collace diplomat who died in the line of duty.  Out of the first fifty or so, half or so died of disease.  The other half are mostly those lost in space; their ship's never made it to their destination.  Back then, when space travel was new and worlds still being explored, jump drives and medical care just weren't as good as they are now." Juan finished with a sigh.

"I don't want Laurent to end up on that wall.  Please let me know if I can do anything to help.  I'm serious - blood, an organ, whatever the doctor needs.  Just don't tell Naamidu if it's got to be an organ."
Theodore McStubbin
 player, 45 posts
 UPP - 77CB77
 Chef/Steward 4th Officer
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 19:23
[019-1104] Jump Space en route to Tarsus B584620-A Ag Ni
Teddy tried to settle the passengers when he got back to the mess, Giving nothing up to them.