IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT.   Posted by The GM.Group: 0
The Duke
 player, 65 posts
 Mad
Thu 16 Apr 2020
at 04:03
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
The Duke sighs when there is no food offered but then remebers he has their supply cache under his guard and and it now needs to be shared with two less. He takes a moment to pitch his tent and then demolihes a few trees for firewood to start a small campfire and helps himself to some sausages from the supply chest to roast on a stick even offering the lady some and a stick.
The GM
 GM, 134 posts
Sat 2 May 2020
at 15:27
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT

That night, The Lady slept, and had a dream.

In it, she stood at the top of a tall, silver tower, at the top of a breathtakingly beautiful cityscape that stretched as far as the eye could see.

Standing on the wall was Foers, The Duke's teddy bear. "You may ask me three questions," the bear told her, waiting...




That night, The Duke slept, and had a dream.

The Duke was a deity of fate and luck. Billions of sentient beings prayed to him, and their thoughts sustained him and kept him alive, so alive he could grant wishes and appear anywhere, to anyone he chose.

The mighty, the lowly, the rich and the poor, robots and things grown in vats and alien things all worshiped him and begged for his attention.

To whom will The Duke next appear?

(Choose one:
--the mighty
--the lowly
--the rich
--the poor
--a robot
--a thing grown in a vat
--an alien thing)

The Duke
 player, 67 posts
 Mad
Sat 2 May 2020
at 18:32
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
The Duke was confused. People always loathed him and now he was worshipped. Now that was such a strange feeling. Naturally he feels compelled to appear to those most like him. Those below anyones notice. It was not more then right that he would be with he lowly.
The GM
 GM, 135 posts
Sun 3 May 2020
at 01:16
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
The Duke:
The Duke was confused. People always loathed him and now he was worshipped. Now that was such a strange feeling. Naturally he feels compelled to appear to those most like him. Those below anyones notice. It was not more then right that he would be with he lowly.


The Duke manifests near a man in his thirties. He's got clothes, including a jacket (though everything is ripped and torn here and there, but is bareheaded, and it's raining and cold. He sits alone at the bottom of a thousand-story-high tower, in a city that's grimy and dark. "Bona fortuna..." the man cries when he sees The Duke. "You have come. All my life, when I have called you, you have been elsewhere, favored others. I bear no grudge. I know that many things are beyond my understanding. But I ask that you smile on me, just this once, please. Change my fate, mend my destiny."
The Lady
 player, 43 posts
 Lost Goddess of Luck
 2 Exp Point; 0 Attention
Sun 3 May 2020
at 05:38
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
The Lady smiled at Foers.
"What is it that you most want the Duke to know, little one?"
The Duke
 player, 68 posts
 Mad
Sun 3 May 2020
at 09:43
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
The Duke towers over the man and is still a little confused. This man wanted the Duke to smile on him? What a weird request. But who was he to deny this man his prayer and he shows the person a wide toothy grin as he looks at the massive tower looking for a way in.
Once he found or made one he grabs the man and pushes him inside his voice taking on the tone of him Prophesying.

"Men like us need to make our own fortune. Go take what you need and i will have your back but wallow in the mud and i will not hear you."
The GM
 GM, 136 posts
Sun 3 May 2020
at 14:40
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
The Lady:
The Lady smiled at Foers.
"What is it that you most want the Duke to know, little one?"


Foers appears startled. "...Very good. That was a wise question... however, answering it is complicated, because of what The Duke is capable of knowing. Nonetheless, it shall be answered..." Foers appears to consider... "...The best answer has two parts: first, that madness is not a cloak to strength, but can instead be a mirror for it... and second, that true strength is not simply in brute force, even though sheer force is sometimes a part of life."




The Duke:
The Duke towers over the man and is still a little confused. This man wanted the Duke to smile on him? What a weird request. But who was he to deny this man his prayer and he shows the person a wide toothy grin as he looks at the massive tower looking for a way in.
Once he found or made one he grabs the man and pushes him inside his voice taking on the tone of him Prophesying.

"Men like us need to make our own fortune. Go take what you need and i will have your back but wallow in the mud and i will not hear you."


The man finds a rusty ladder, and begins to climb.

There are stairs, hand-winches, more ladders, and, eventually, a few elevators to ascend, but finally the man walks slowly through a door to where there are people... people who have never seen anyone so dirty. "Wh-- who are you?" asks a nurse.

The man gives her, and the man at her side, a look... and then he collapses.

The pair immediately checked his vital signs. "Fever. I'm amazed he walked in here under his own power."

"It's worse than you think," said her companion, "he's got no tags. He's an underdweller."

"Underdwellers even still exist? I thought they were just legends!"

"This man must be one-- he has no tags. And look at the state of his teeth, and his facial hair..."

"Those can be fixed... but are we authorized to treat him?"

"There's no law against it--"

"--Because no one ever thought an underdweller would walk into a clinic!"

"--Which means it's my call. And I say yes. Did you see the look in his eyes? Fortune has smiled on his man--" --and the doctor made a quick religious gesture.

In the weeks to come, the man would near death's door, but not actually open it. He recovered, was treated, and was altered to pass for a civilized human being. He educated himself, worked hard, invested his savings, and began his rise...

In thirty years, he traded a fleet of starships for a dose of longspice. His age fell away from him, and he started over.

In another thirty years, he had several fleets of ships, and became young a second time.

In 400 years, he was the richest man in his sector, and one of the most respected, the man who had sent expeditions into the city's foundations and proven the existence of underdwellers, and was solely responsible for raising them out of their ignorant squalor and misery.

In 900 more years, the empire began to crumble, and he realized that humankind itself was in danger of being lost. He began to conceive of a mighty bulwark against entropy, a safe haven for humankind...

He looked out at the stars. "Bona Fortuna," he called. "I have not called upon you in almost a thousand years, but I call upon you now. I have tried to spread my good fortune to those who needed it, as you granted it to me. I invite you-- what is your will? Should I go ahead with the building of this refuge that I have planned...? I cannot see far enough ahead to understand what may come of it... My intentions are good, but anything good can be corrupted, no matter what the intentions behind it..."
The Lady
 player, 44 posts
 Lost Goddess of Luck
 2 Exp Point; 0 Attention
Sun 3 May 2020
at 22:07
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
The Lady nodded, an took some moments to consider the advice of the bear.
Then, "And what would you do to protect him?"
The GM
 GM, 138 posts
Tue 5 May 2020
at 15:45
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
The Lady:
The Lady nodded, an took some moments to consider the advice of the bear.
Then, "And what would you do to protect him?"


"Ah, that is a wrong question. I am not truly his textile chaperone. I am something else. Perhaps you should be asking yourself what you would be willing to do to protect The Duke... and how you might best do so."

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:45, Tue 05 May.

The Duke
 player, 71 posts
 Mad
Tue 5 May 2020
at 06:29
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
Looking at those who make their own fortune is a good thing to see and The Duke enjoys the good life the man leads especially as he shares what he has. When called upon this blessed client of his The Duke favors him with a visit again his massive bulk sitting on the mans desk as it creaks under his massive bulk. His dream self feels a resonance with the mans plan and he smiles as he plunders the cookie jar on the desk.

"I am born in a future where i was lucky enough to live in a structure build by a benefactor that wanted to save mankind. And survive they do but i know not if those above me are actually alive. They have forgotten about me and or what it is to be human. Does that mean you should not follow your heart my friend? Or not do good in fear of corruption?"

The duke shrugs and puts the empty cookie jar back on the desk.

"If the fear of corruption prevents you from doing good have you not been lost already?"

He pokes the man with his meaty finger leaving a smudge of crumbs on the mans chest where his heart is breathing heavily as if he has talked more then is normal for him and looks at the man expectantly.
The GM
 GM, 139 posts
Tue 5 May 2020
at 17:45
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
The Duke:
"If the fear of corruption prevents you from doing good have you not been lost already?"

He pokes the man with his meaty finger leaving a smudge of crumbs on the mans chest where his heart is breathing heavily as if he has talked more then is normal for him and looks at the man expectantly.


The man weeps happily. "Beautiful Bona Fortuna..." ...All right, the man is definitely seeing what he wants to see... "I see the truth of your words..."

The man commissions work on his refuge... Miles wide and long, and to be made with the most expensive technologies...

And then, he is assassinated by a rival, beyond the means of science to revive.

His daughter shakes her head and refuses to clone him... she will carry on his great work herself.

And the work is important, for the mind of the structure must still be programmed, and programmed carefully.

Years later, the work is still going on. The daughter sighs, one day... "Father wanted this to be a refuge for humans, but he seemed to be all right with allowing non-humans refuge, too." She gazed upon the nearby statue of the goddess of fate and luck that he father had commissioned for his office. "...Isn't that contradictory, Bona Fortuna...?"
The Duke
 player, 72 posts
 Mad
Tue 5 May 2020
at 22:10
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
The Duke stands next to the woman looking at the beautiful lady. He knew that person did he not in a life where he was an outcast and not this being of incomprehensible power. What was life easy then. He helps himself to the expensvie port and sits down in the comfortable office chair looking at the daughter.

"What makes you happy my dear? Your fathers legacy is one of sharing good fortune with all that are in need. Do only humans deserve good fortune greedy as they are or can good fortune be shared by all that need it? The more souls call my name the less chance she will be forgotten by the dark future that awaits us all."
The GM
 GM, 140 posts
Wed 6 May 2020
at 14:57
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
The Duke:
The Duke stands next to the woman looking at the beautiful lady. He knew that person did he not in a life where he was an outcast and not this being of incomprehensible power. What was life easy then. He helps himself to the expensvie port and sits down in the comfortable office chair looking at the daughter.

"What makes you happy my dear? Your fathers legacy is one of sharing good fortune with all that are in need. Do only humans deserve good fortune greedy as they are or can good fortune be shared by all that need it? The more souls call my name the less chance she will be forgotten by the dark future that awaits us all."


The woman nods. "I see. Humanity is more than a genetic structure. It's a perspective that we value, too. I'll program the refuge to allow non-humans in as long as it can be determined that they pose no danger to others. Thank you, Bona Fortuna."

The woman rushes from her father's office, now her office, and gives a speech to her programming team.

Hundreds of years later, the statue has been moved several times, and is now in a bunker deep underground. The woman does not come near it nearly as often as in the old days, but one day she comes again, looking much older than the last time. "Bona Fortuna," she says. "I am filled with doubts, greater than ever. The work of building the ziggurat moves slowly. We are constantly at war with others who think we are building a military base. Maybe we are, from their point of view. There are rumors of the rich pooling their resources to build a similar structure, but just for their own families. Is there a point to this? Can humanity survive? Can the planet? Can the sun? Should humanity be preserved, if all we do is fight amongst ourselves...?"
The Duke
 player, 73 posts
 Mad
Wed 6 May 2020
at 20:47
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
Now this was interesting. The Duke had been thinking he had been dreaming of his home and how it came to be. Was it maybe not that but a guide to their destination. And if this was a dream would he remember? There was only one way to find out.

"Human greed and egoism is nothing new under the sun now is it? Does that keep you from bringing hope into this world? Only if you make a shelter humanity might be fortunate enough to live long enough to see the sun die. And who knows at that time maybe fortune looks down on those people again if they do not forget. For the rich have already forgotten. I do not even sense them. Tell me whare do the greedy build and i will bring them some misfortune."
The Lady
 player, 46 posts
 Lost Goddess of Luck
 2 Exp Point; 0 Attention
Sat 9 May 2020
at 06:40
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
The GM:
The Lady:
The Lady nodded, an took some moments to consider the advice of the bear.
Then, "And what would you do to protect him?"


"Ah, that is a wrong question. I am not truly his textile chaperone. I am something else. Perhaps you should be asking yourself what you would be willing to do to protect The Duke... and how you might best do so."

"No no, it is a good question.  It tells me much.    As you will not answer it, though, nor tell me what you would do to protect him,  I should ask a question in its place.

What are you, that you cannot or will not protect him?
"
The GM
 GM, 142 posts
Sat 9 May 2020
at 15:49
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
The Lady:
The GM:
The Lady:
The Lady nodded, an took some moments to consider the advice of the bear.
Then, "And what would you do to protect him?"


"Ah, that is a wrong question. I am not truly his textile chaperone. I am something else. Perhaps you should be asking yourself what you would be willing to do to protect The Duke... and how you might best do so."

"No no, it is a good question.  It tells me much.    As you will not answer it, though, nor tell me what you would do to protect him,  I should ask a question in its place.

What are you, that you cannot or will not protect him?
"


"Another wrong question, though it is much more understandable that it would seem otherwise. I am the zeitgeist of this spot, the weight of the long road through the fourth dimension, that winds on and on for so long. I am the psychic vestiges of time and events imprinted on this spot by psychic bombs and tears in the rules. I am the echoes of antiquity, the emotions of the antiquity that flap in the endless night. I am merely a recording of sentience from long ago, from every head that has ever slept in this place. I am thought and feeling, dream and fear imprinted into the stones beneath you and the energy around you."

"That was your third question."




The Duke:
Now this was interesting. The Duke had been thinking he had been dreaming of his home and how it came to be. Was it maybe not that but a guide to their destination. And if this was a dream would he remember? There was only one way to find out.

"Human greed and egoism is nothing new under the sun now is it? Does that keep you from bringing hope into this world? Only if you make a shelter humanity might be fortunate enough to live long enough to see the sun die. And who knows at that time maybe fortune looks down on those people again if they do not forget. For the rich have already forgotten. I do not even sense them. Tell me whare do the greedy build and i will bring them some misfortune."


"Yes... yes, until the sun dies... Or longer..." The woman looks up, tears in her eyes. "No, Bona Fortuna. I will not forget, as have others. I do not wish ill upon them. I will seek survival for all... You have taught me well..."




The Lady and The Duke awaken.

The moon is just rising. It is what passes, at the end of history, for morning.
The Lady
 player, 47 posts
 Lost Goddess of Luck
 2 Exp Point; 0 Attention
Sun 10 May 2020
at 04:04
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
"Well, that was ... interesting", The Lady hummed to herself, as she lay there slowly waking.
It wasn't every day that one met the spiritual incarnation of a location.
Argumentative little thing it was.
She smiled.

Sitting up, she began to prepare some breakfast for she and The Duke.
The Duke
 player, 74 posts
 Mad
Sun 10 May 2020
at 07:04
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
The Duke wakes to the smell of breakfast and groans as he works himself into an upright position and gives the lady a toothy grin.

"That was weird. I dreamt i was some Bona Fortuna but before i could find out where my temple was i woke up. So sad. That would be a great help for sure."
The Lady
 player, 48 posts
 Lost Goddess of Luck
 2 Exp Point; 0 Attention
Wed 13 May 2020
at 03:18
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
The Lady listened to her big dumb companion.   In his simplicity, she'd come to like the idiot.
And she wasn't surprised to hear that he'd had his own ... weird ... dreams.

And she was surprised at his vocabulary also:  not just its extent, but the choice of his words.
'Fortuna' ... The Lady had not gone by that calling since the world was young.

"Would you like a temple in your honour, little brother?" she asked.   "Would you like to have others adore you and admire you ... to worship you and beg your favour?"
The Duke
 player, 75 posts
 Mad
Wed 13 May 2020
at 07:13
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
The Duke shrugs more interested in the prepared breakfast then the weird dream really. But as the Lady asks her question he chews with a thoughtful look and then shakes his head.

"Nah. It was nice to have people like me for a change. But everyone wanted me to solve their problems. The Duke has plenty of problems don't need no more."
The Lady
 player, 49 posts
 Lost Goddess of Luck
 2 Exp Point; 0 Attention
Fri 15 May 2020
at 11:09
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
The Lady nodded.  “And one of those problems is finding the Cloister.
Let’s finish up here, and be on our way
”.
The next leg of their expedition was a foot ...   oops, I mean ‘afoot’.
The Duke
 player, 76 posts
 Mad
Fri 15 May 2020
at 12:59
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
The Duke nods and finishes the food thanks the lady and parks his behind in the vehicle again ready for the lady to drive them to their destination.
The GM
 GM, 144 posts
Fri 15 May 2020
at 17:11
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT

The quad walker lopes across the barren ground... rocky, featureless...

Until... over three hours later... a feature comes into view.

A long strip of tall grass meanders down from a far rise to the east... terminating at a spot very near the walker's path...
The Lady
 player, 50 posts
 Lost Goddess of Luck
 2 Exp Point; 0 Attention
Mon 18 May 2020
at 09:12
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
The Lady slowed the walker as they approached the strange environmental strip.
"Do you trust your luck, Duke?  Do you trust in me?"

The walker came to a stop near enough that they could see the grassy strip from a safe distance, before agreeing to go nearer ... or give it a wide berth.
The Duke
 player, 77 posts
 Mad
Mon 18 May 2020
at 11:23
Re: IN-GAME THREAD: LEAVING THE ZIGGURAT
The Duke eyes the lady eyebrows up in a question as if he did not understand.

"Why should i not trust you? FOERS says you are a friend."

He then looks at the grass field.

"Think that we got to investigate?"