Storm of Light - Dreamlorn Sovereign.   Posted by Storyteller.Group: 0
Storyteller
 GM, 27 posts
Sun 22 Dec 2019
at 22:11
Storm of Light - Dreamlorn Sovereign
You have only recently arrived to Chiaroscuro, your pockets are filled with valuable trinkets and gems from your most recent adventure.  You are equal parts elated with recent escape, riding high on the hog, but also feel like something is missing.  At first you thought it was missing your sisters, but despite the feelings of loss from walking away from them you dont think thats it.  There is... a pull... a desire.

Where are you being pulled? What is it that you desire?

Im not sure if you care one way or the other, but i wrote this with the intention that you have some pull from a previous exaltation to a simhata mount.  Of course, this could also be rp'd as just your wanderlust.  However you choose to move forward with it will be fine.
Storm of Light
 player, 24 posts
 Lawgiver
 Crowned Sun
Sun 22 Dec 2019
at 23:20
Storm of Light - Dreamlorn Sovereign
Storm took a slow, steadying breath, what felt like the first in a long time. Even now, he could feel the light flowing through him, faster and warmer than his blood, coursing with newborn vigor. It was strange, how familiar the power felt, how innate...though he knew its terrible source. Perhaps this is why, in the legends of kings who drank jackal's blood and dancers whose visits to a midnight oasis that stole more of their souls with every sip, the afflicted never seemed to notice their transformation until it was too late. He held a hand up to the sunlight. It is still my hand.

But for how much longer?


The pull bothered him. A current he couldn't identify, at first, and felt no happier with it when he did - there was more familiar here than just his awakened Essence. Echoes in the architecture, the sweeping curve of the towers...had he seen this place in a dream? No. Not even a dream. The dream of another life, a sliver that had lodged into the demon that possessed him. Taste of spice and cool water. The sound of glass chimes. A snort - heavy, bestial. Such a sound should have been frightening, but the flicker was warm and comfortable, and Storm felt the briefest impulse to reach out to...what? The flash was gone as quickly as it came.

But it left something behind.

He turned, moving slowly so as not to break the soft spell that had found him, until...there. The glint of light against glass was no different from any of a trillion glints in the city, except that he remembered it. He stepped forward. He should be attending to the issue of lodging, seeking out work, learning the lay of the city and its people, or mourning - privately - the ties sunlight had severed. But...if I am to fight this curse...I must know it. I must know what the demon is, and what it wants.

Another step, more resolute, and another, and another, and then - a hesitation.

The road was silent here. No passerby. There were people, furtive and watchful, and he saw the hilts of weaponry among several congregating some distance further, one or two shooting him closed, hostile glances. And at his feet...a line of salt. As a scavenger, he understand well the significance. Where walk the dead with hunger fell / the salted trail will guard you well. This was one of the city's famous shadowlands, and the people here would be of a desperate or dangerous breed. Even in daylight there were risks. Daylight... He glanced at the sky. Evening. A shattered spray of gold and blue. There's still time...right?

He didn't know how long the glimmer would last, this demonic deja vu. And he wasn't precisely sure when he'd lose the light...after which there'd be no way out of the neighborhood until morning. But he wanted to know. To find something of the past that might prepare him for his future. The hesitation faded.

He stepped across.

I like the previous Exaltation tie, I'll to go with that. Past lives are always a blast.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:49, Sun 22 Dec 2019.

Storyteller
 GM, 40 posts
Mon 23 Dec 2019
at 06:37
Storm of Light - Dreamlorn Sovereign
Gain 1 Xp

It quickly becomes clear that you will not be making it back before next morning.  What, if anything, do you do to prepare yourself searching and venturing deeper into the shadowland at night? You look back and see the city you left gone, replaced with a darker but still similar representation.  As you turn around and look deeper the city begins to change, warping and becoming something... else.

You dont know where you are going and are simply trying to follow the fading memory of a dream.  Make an Int + Investigation to try and logically decipher your clues (This will take you longer and require you to stop paying attention to your surroundings as you have to continually stop and do work) or Per + Awareness to try and notice things that resonate with you (This is a less sure and more random way to search but allows you to be highly alert to your surroundings).
Storm of Light (C)
 player, 26 posts
 Lawgiver
 Crowned Sun
Tue 24 Dec 2019
at 05:03
Storm of Light - Dreamlorn Sovereign
As the sky darkened and Storm realized how he'd committed himself, he frowned. The people thinned, vanished - those few faces remaining here, peering from within glass towers or the new-Age hovels erected between them, would be those who kept their own wards or else had struck deals or else were powerful in some way, above bother by the worst of the falling night. Was he among them?

No. Not without proving himself. He hesitated, then palmed the Key from a pocket, its unnatural weight a reassuring reminder of its potential. Still, this had been foolhardy. Salt, certain charms - he wasn't sure he could tell true from false charms, but then it was a dangerous business selling fakes in a place like this. Survivors would understand you'd gambled on their lives, and he imagined laws were in place to - sidetracked. Nerves. The simple fact was that he could have prepared far better for this, even given a short time, and hadn't. The weapon he carried might frighten off the more clever kind of dead, but he knew some or most would be too mad or too hungry or too lessened to understand or care.

He had his wits. That would have to do.

Rolling Perception + Awareness, spending 5m Personal on Sensory Acuity Prana and 3m Peripheral on the Excellency. 7 Successes!

What Storm hopes for: Knowing the light to be safer than shadows, Storm was careful to avoid the darkest corners of the neighborhood, changing his path when shambling or drifting somethings crossed in the distance. Once he passed by a small cluster of the dead, his sharp eye noting their wary sentience and guessing them not to be killers - or at least unwilling to tangle with someone subtly flashing the gleam of starmetal from his palm. Eventually, small omens - the scent of flowers in an overgrown box aerated and watered by the slow pulse of some as-yet functional system from a bygone Age, the feeling of a certain trod beneath the soles of his supple leather boots - led him to an ancient half-collapsed building whose outline glittered memorably in the starlight. There were lower levels, he thought, beneath the ruin. His Exaltation had shone in those places once.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:03, Tue 24 Dec 2019.

Storyteller
 GM, 49 posts
Tue 24 Dec 2019
at 06:15
Storm of Light - Dreamlorn Sovereign
Your decision to keep your wits about you served you well during your journey into the shadowland.  You were able to avoid a number of potentially dangerous encounters.  It takes you almost 4 hours of intense searching and avoiding but finally you gaze across at a ruined courtyard.  You are on the roof of a building across a large thoroughfare from the place, but it speaks to you.  Flashes of misting water kissing the garden, memories of the brilliance of the sun heating your body, scents that you just cant place wafting from the beautiful garden... your memories are broken, but clear.  You remember this place.  You look closer and see the garden, barren, except for occasional flowers of pure black, twisted and rotting, but for single bud of pure azure. You remember a beautiful elegant fence, but see broken hideous spikes, tortured and warped.  You Remember this place, but not this place.

You are focused from your reverie by movement in the courtyard.  You see a woman/ghost? moving among and tending to the few flowers that remain in the garden. She has a pack of... animals, that look like twisted versions of large hounds with him.  They snarl and bite at each other and each have a heavy chain attached to their collar which she idly holds. You dont know how long she will be there. As you are thinking about your course of action you happen to notice a... blacker black spot... from another rooftop moving from the far side of the building towards the side closest to you.  It darts quickly from shadow to shadow until it makes it to the very edge of the roof, its eyes clearly visible to you now.  It stares at you but otherwise doesnt make any noise or gestures.  You do feel the cold chill of fear prickle your neck, but that could very well be your own insecurities. Roll your Wits + Integrity. What do you do?
Storm of Light (C)
 player, 30 posts
 Lawgiver
 Crowned Sun
Wed 25 Dec 2019
at 17:13
Storm of Light - Dreamlorn Sovereign
Storm paused for an interminable heartbeat, a slow movement of blood and Essence, as he watched the shadow watching him watch whatever or whoever now walked among the dead. Thoughts flickered through his mind like candles in the night wind, brief points of light among the sea of sudden fear. What am I doing here? Why am I out here? I could leave. I could come back. This is insane.

...this is familiar.


Whatever kept the place below was potentially dangerous. There were stories of such encounters - a monster revealing itself as lonely and timid, a ghost willing to strike strange deals after sundown - but there were other stories, and he didn't like the look of her beasts. He didn't much like the thing watching him, either, but...it was only watching, for now. Maybe it means no harm. Or maybe it's waiting for an opportunity to strike. He weighed the weight of his life in his heart. I don't miss opportunities. Knowledge can't be forbidden.

Life and death are the ends of the same road; it is fear that makes us lost.


A deep breath. A step forward, towards the shadow, into the fear, against it. He couldn't sit and quiver forever. He would force the unknown to resolve itself. His first step was deliberate, his second and third quick, as he headed towards the rooftop edge closest to his observer. What was watching him, and why?

Rolling Wits + Integrity, basic stunt. 6 successes!
Storyteller
 GM, 65 posts
Wed 25 Dec 2019
at 20:30
Storm of Light - Dreamlorn Sovereign
You steel yourself against whatever fears were trying to worm their way into your heart.

Whatever it is that is watching you moves away from you as you get closer.  As you try and get an idea of how it is going to react, by moving this way or that, you see that it keeps a pretty regular distance from you of about 40-50 feet. (About a medium range band away)  It is also on the other rooftop across the street, and you on the rooftop of a 3 story building. Do you try to jump across and chase this thing? if not, what do u do?
Storm of Light (C)
 player, 33 posts
 Lawgiver
 Crowned Sun
Fri 27 Dec 2019
at 02:19
Storm of Light - Dreamlorn Sovereign
Storm slowed as he approached the edge, as his watcher backed off. He eyed the gap - maybe not impossible, but...jumps like that were for horses. Men didn't have the architecture: like this neighborhood, they were likely to shatter and die. He hoped to make it until morning intact.

Which meant...

The way down from the rooftop was inconvenient, and he half-suspected that when he reemerged from the building at ground level his mysterious shadow would be gone. The woman, on the other hand, would likely not be. Her hounds awaited as well.

Impolite, then, to keep a lady waiting...
Storyteller
 GM, 82 posts
Fri 27 Dec 2019
at 03:05
Storm of Light - Dreamlorn Sovereign
What is your plan when you engage the lady?  Are you going to try and talk? sneak around? attack?

Whatever is it that you plan on doing, make any rolls that you anticipate might be needed, and i will tell you what happens.
Storm of Light (C)
 player, 34 posts
 Lawgiver
 Crowned Sun
Sat 28 Dec 2019
at 01:13
Storm of Light - Dreamlorn Sovereign
The neighborhood at night was a supremely dangerous environment. As he stepped out from the shadow of the building towards the courtyard, he weighed his odds. He couldn't know what the woman would do in response to company, but if it became a pitched battle - if it became a battle he couldn't end quickly, more importantly - there wasn't much in the way of safe ground to retreat to. Violence would draw the violent. Storm couldn't have named half the things he'd half-glimpsed on his way to this midnight remembrance, but along with the importance of salt, anyone who knew anything about shadowlands knew what end usually awaited those foolish enough to let their blood spill there.

He stopped at the edge of the courtyard, eyeing the flowers. If I could touch one... But he suspected the hounds were too watchful for that, uninvited. And so he'd need to be invited. Could he get her attention, appeal perhaps to the loneliness of this strange place, the opportunity for living company with no desire to consume or control? Was she even sane or sentient enough to be appealed to? He raised one hand in a friendly wave, tightening the other around the Key, and spoke.

20:10, Today: Storm of Light (C) rolled 2 successes using 4d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7 with rolls of 6,3,7,9.  An Appropriate Introduction (Manipulation + Presence).

20:10, Today: Storm of Light (C) rolled 2 successes using 5d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7 with rolls of 6,9,3,2,9.  Read Intentions (1m, +Willpower).

Storyteller
 GM, 94 posts
Sat 28 Dec 2019
at 09:15
Storm of Light - Dreamlorn Sovereign
It takes a moment, but the ghost of a woman looks up.  She engages with your pleasantly, in stark contrast to the slavering and snarling of her "hounds".  Mentioning how lonely it gets taking care of this place day after day.  After a bit of back and forth she invites you in and the gate opens with an incredibly cacophonous wrenching of metal that echoes off the surrounding buildings.  The hounds look even bigger the closer you get to them, easily 200lbs each. and their red eyes and ferociousness give you pause.  (http://www.woinrpg.com/demons-1/hellhound)

"Come now deary, quickly.  Musn't let everyone in."  She says pleasantly.  You turn around as she motions to see dozens of mindless, hungry ghosts spilling out of the buildings and rushing towards you. She seems nice enough, and appears to genuinely want the company of a "handsome young man" like yourself.

What do u do?
Storm of Light (C)
 player, 37 posts
 Lawgiver
 Crowned Sun
Mon 30 Dec 2019
at 12:08
Storm of Light - Dreamlorn Sovereign
Six hundred pounds of snarling death-dogs, or possible literal tons of hungry ghosts? It wasn't a difficult choice for Storm to step into her domain, among the flowers and the fallen splendor, the Key in his hand growing to its regular size (2m peripheral) as he half-turned to keep an eye on the rushing horde. "You can stop them, right? 'Cause I'm only, in the spirit of honesty, about halfway sure I can stop them."

What am I doing here? But: the flowers. The flickers. How long had his ghostly companion been dead? Might she hold a clue to his demon-dreams? Even assuming her plan was to eat him...it's possible he could learn something here. Or die, but then such was life in the South. Chiaroscuro to the burning sands, there were rewards precious even to the Mighty, but few came clean of risk. He weighed his odds, then settled into a warding stance, facing the oncoming horde. If her ruined garden was not so inviolate as her pleasant and unhurried invitation implied, he'd move to defend her...even if it meant taking his eyes off her hounds for a heartbeat or two.

Essence: 8/13 personal, 22/28 peripheral (max 33; 5m committed - Key of Yhv)
Willpower: 4/5

Storyteller
 GM, 120 posts
Tue 31 Dec 2019
at 04:26
Storm of Light - Dreamlorn Sovereign
As you step into the garden, the gates screech their horrendous cries as they close behind you. She takes you arm in arm with her, guiding you around the garden as she talks.  A few of the horde make it through the gate, and a few more climb over the wall.  She simply lets go of her hounds and they proceed to quite enthusiastically rip into the encroaching  offenders.  She doesnt even spare a moment to look back, talking idly and asking you questions about yourself.  Once the screaming and wailing dies down, you look over to see the shadow that was watching you from the rooftop staring at you from atop the courtyard wall.  She asks you your name, how you got here, what you are doing here, among a host of other relevant and seemingly irrelevant questions such as your favorite color and favorite flower.

Do you answer her questions honestly? How much do you tell her about yourself? Do you ask her any questions?

At some point during your talk the chains to her hounds seem to be back into her hand as they follow the both of you.  Their constant fighting and snarling is a bit distracting for you.  You come to a marble white bench, cracked through the center. As you sit you are looking at a ruined statue of a woman.  You can see what once was a sprawling estate, now reduced to rubble.  There is however, a heavy wooden double door set in the ground against the far wall, like cellar doors.