[IC] The Adventure Begins!   Posted by The Game Keeper.Group: archive 1
The Game Keeper
 GM, 30 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Sat 28 Dec 2019
at 18:49
[IC] The Adventure Begins!

(The Academy of Heroes)

  For several years, you studied at the Academy of Heroes, training to be adventurers.  The ultimate goals of students at the Academy vary - fame, wealth, power, or something else.  But whatever your reasons, the Academy offers the best path to achieve your goals.  And now, you have finally reached the end of this step of forging your stories: Graduation, and your first Expedition.  You, and several of your classmates, have formed a Company (as required to Graduate), and have been sent to a remote keep, on the far northwestern border of the Realm.

  Stories have reached the Academy of Orc, Goblin, and other raiders, basing themselves in a place the locals call The Caverns of Chaos.  You have been sent to verify these rumors, explore the Caverns if they exist, and eliminate any threats to the Realm you find there.  Your journey has lasted several weeks now, including passage by ship on the river Drakewine.  Cities have given way to towns, and towns to villages, as the population grows ever smaller, the further you travel from the capital of Crownhaven.  For three days you have traveled through mostly uninhabited lands; the road has climbed higher as you enter the forested and mountainous country of the borderlands.

  Finally, just past noon today, the road turned east around the shoulder of a hill, and you see a scattering of farms ahead - and, on a rocky outcrop past them, Castellan's Keep, the nearest settlement to the Caverns of Chaos.


(Castellan's Keep, viewed from the west)

  Moving past the farms, you move up a narrow, rocky track that ascends the outcrop.  A sheer wall of natural stone is on your left, the path falling away to a steep cliff on the right.  There is a small widening ahead, where the main gate to the Keep resides on the other side of a chasm, ten feet wide and perhaps twice as deep.  All along the wall you see curious faces peering down at you, eager to welcome new champions of Law, but ready with crossbow and halberd to give another sort of welcome to enemies.  As you draw up before the raised drawbridge, a man-at-arms in mail and blue livery leans out from the right-hand tower, and shouts to you:

  Hold!  State your names, and what business you have here, Strangers!

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:52, Wed 22 Jan 2020.

Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 3 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 05:34
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to The Game Keeper (msg # 1):

Mando leans against the side of the cart resting. With his feet propped up on his pack and his arms folded across his chest, he sharply blows some hair out of his face and looks up to return this man's gaze with a bit of a scowl waiting for one of his more mouthy comrades to answer.
Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 3 posts
 Dragonborn
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 06:07
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Kenemon looks at Mando from his saddle and rolls his eyes. The green dragonborn, Shabaka, stands beside his horse looks up at him. Kenemon sighs.

"Shabaka, please be so kind as to introduce us." Kenemon glances back to the two cloaked kobolds failing to nonchalantly hide their fear in the back of the wagon.  A wry smile crosses Kenemons scaly lips, something that resembles more of a sneer. "We can't afford to lose another kobold to the town watch."

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:21, Wed 22 Jan 2020.

Shabaka Ramose
 Retainer, 1 post
 Half-Dragon youth
 ((DeWayne))'s squire
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 06:21
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Shabaka steps forward without hesitation.

"Greetings.. um... Captain? ...of the Watch. I am pleased to announce the arrival of Ends Inc. We received dispatch of raiders plaguing you... kind... people. Have no fear, your heroes are here."

Shabaka returns back to Kenemon. Kenemon stifles his laughter.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:44, Wed 22 Jan 2020.

Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 4 posts
 Dragonborn
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 06:45
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Shabaka Ramose (msg # 4):

"Not bad, squire, better than the last time. We'll work on it."
Shabaka sighs and lowers his cloaked head as a chuckle escapes Kenemon's lips.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 59 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 16:01
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
After a brief discussion amongst the guards which you cannot quite catch, there is a rattling noise, and with a creak the drawbridge descends.  Simultaneously, a stout, iron-reinforced portcullis is raised, opening the way to a tunnel through the keep's outer wall.

Two human guards in platemail, with surcoats bearing the blue-and-white arms of Castellan's Keep, advance from the tunnel to the end of the bridge.  The Corporal will need to see your Writ, Adventurers, one says - eyeing the pair of Dragonborn suspiciously as he speaks.  If you will follow us, keeping your weapons secure and your hands clear of them, the corporal is this w-

The second guard, who has been looking over the party, glances into the back of the cart and spots Kig'ru and Kig'no sitting inside.  HOI!, she shouts, interrupting the other guard.  What's this now?  They've bleedin' Kobolds with 'em!  Both guards' hands move immediately to their weapons as they take a pace back from you ...
Shabaka Ramose
 Retainer, 2 posts
 Half-Dragon youth
 Squire to Kenemon
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 16:03
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Shabaka moves between the two kobolds and the guard, his hand straying towards his dagger as he looks to Kenemon for guidance.
Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 5 posts
 Dragonborn
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 16:31
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Kenemon steps down from his saddle. He stands up to his full height in front of the guards, his red scaled hands outstretched to show no harm.
[Language unknown:  Routmafo atyin] Easy now, gents. Any assault on my property is an assault on me
Shabaka Ramose
 Retainer, 3 posts
 Half-Dragon youth
 Squire to Kenemon
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 16:37
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Yips and cries of fear begin to emanate from the cart as the two kobolds cower.

Shabaka tightens the grip on his dagger, taking a low stance. The scent of sulfur reaches his nostrils are wafts of green mist escapes his tightly clamped jaws. Keeping his eyes on the guards, his body poised to pounce and ready to unleash his poisonous breath. But he knows better, Kenemon will handle this.

[Private to Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset: We need to stay consistent on poor Shabaka's gender.  We're gonna confuse the poor kid if we don't!  :D]

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:12, Wed 22 Jan 2020.

Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 5 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 16:53
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Shabaka Ramose (msg # 9):

Mando LEAPS to his feet, cracks his neck and knuckles and begins to bob sway back and forth (a la street fighter)
WE GONNA GO?! LET'S GO! COME ON!!!
Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 6 posts
 Dragonborn
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 17:45
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
[Private to GM: Hey, yeah idk. I read something earlier and thought you had used a female pronoun. I guess not, my bad. And do you want to control them? I didnít even ask if I could and just wrote for him.
Also, wife might be interested in this, if youíre willing to take on a new player
]

Woah, woah...  Kenemon casts a glance back at Mando. He reaches into his satchel and presents the folded up writ. As you can see my fellows are eager to help with the raiders. Weeks of long travel have made us weary and cranky.  If you would be so kind, gracious Guardsman, escort me and my entire brigade to the captain.

Kenemon is trying to ease the situation while trying to imply this isnít the best solution for anyone.
Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 7 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 18:24
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset (msg # 11):

Mando's  breathing slows much closer to a normal pace as his fists relax. His eyes noticeably dart between the guards and Kenemon.
Oh c'mon Ken, lemme have a lil' fun! I wasn't gonna hurt'em much... a toothy grin creeps across Mando's mug as he eyeballs the guardsmen up and down.
Montana James
 Dustin, 2 posts
 Human
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 19:39
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Montana barely registers as alive while leaning back against his pack in the wagon. After the standoff is over he reaches up and raises his hat Brim so he can see better. He continues to go along for the ride appearing to go back to sleep.
Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 8 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 21:20
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Montana James (msg # 13):

Seeing that there's no fun to be had, Mando settles back into his relaxed state; kicking his feet up and cradling the back of his head with his interlocking digits as he leans against the cart once more.
Corporal of the Guard
 NPC, 1 post
 Human
 Soldier
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 22:58
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
The guards look back and forth between each other, the Kobolds, and various of the party, until a guard with a yellow armband calls from the other end of the tower, If they've got the proper Writs, just send 'em in already!

Still looking dubious, the two guards escort you down the tunnel.  To either side are crossletted arrowslits, and above are murder holes; this would not be a good place to get trapped.  Fortunately, the inner gate remains open, and you emerge into the light once more as the portcullis is lowered back into place, and the drawbridge creaks back into it's customary raised position.

The yellow-armed guard stands before you, next to a man who is plainly a clerk (the writing-board and quill pen are dead giveaways).  Welcome to Castellan's Keep, Adventurers; I am Corporal Vensc, he says.  Turning to Kenemon, he continues: Kobolds and trash like 'em ain't much liked here.  'spect you'll keep your ... pets ... on a very short leash, yeah?  Out of sight would be better; there've been three raids by their kind in jus' the past two moons.  Couple deaths, a bad fire.  Lots of folks'll react real bad to seein' two on'em inside the walls.  Prop'rty or no, they cause a panic, they get spitted.  We clear on that?

One of the original guards quietly chuckles unkindly at the last line, while glancing sideways at the kobolds, and Shabaka.
Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 8 posts
 Dragonborn
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 23:42
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Kenemon taps his palm to his chest. There is no offense taken and need for worry from your citizens. Ends inc is here to help. As for the kobolds, I hold full accountability for their actions, of which there will be none.
Kenemon shoots Kug a knowingly look and then watches for Shabakaís reaction.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:51, Wed 22 Jan 2020.

Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 11 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 00:01
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset (msg # 16):

Mando belches loudly while scratching his chest. "I'm thirsty! I want rum, meat and women!"
Montana James
 Dustin, 4 posts
 Human
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 00:26
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Mando Thornberry (msg # 17):

Montana stands up. Props a leg striking a cpt morgan pose and says.well then dear corporal. tell us about the raids and the suspected whereabouts that those responsible can be found.I would much like to get some research in on the location before we head out.
Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 12 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 00:50
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Montana James (msg # 18):

::Eye Roll::
Mando stands and loudly yawns a biiiig stretch. Everyone can hear his back grotesquely pop several times. He looks around expectantly.Tavern??
Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 10 posts
 Dragonborn
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 01:18
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Gentlemen, its a little after noon. I think that we can manage to let Captain brief us on the mishaps happening here before running off for food and ale. We have a writ to fill. After we know whats going on we can set a timeline."

Kenemon motions for the Corporal to continue.
Montana James
 Dustin, 5 posts
 Human
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 01:30
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Mando Thornberry (msg # 19):

Come on Mando. First we listen then you can drink and kill.
Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 14 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 01:33
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset (msg # 20):

Frustrated, Mando clenches his fists like a five y/o, grunts, and just planks backward onto the wagon floor.
Corporal of the Guard
 NPC, 2 posts
 Human
 Soldier
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 02:07
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
It's Corporal, not Captain, Vensc says to Kenemon.  I'll need t'see y'r Writs, and go over th'rules, while y'r animals and cart's get seen to.  The animals will be put up in the common stables, and any baggage you don't care to carry with you can be stored in the common warehouse.

He gestures to his left to indicate the stable, and his right to indicate the warehouse.  Both form a single long, stone building some fifteen feet in height and topped with low battlements.  A woman and two boys are already moving to take charge of your mount(s) and cart.

Corporal Vensc then draws a deep breath, and begins what is obviously a rote speech delivered dozens, if not scores, of times before: Stabling costs five commons each night f;r each animal; space f'r th'cart is th'same.  Y' pay when y' leave, and y' leave wit'out if y' don't pay.  Any corporal has th' keys if y' need sommat afore y' leave.

Now, t' th' rules:

Anyone caught fightin', f'r any reason, spends the night in the gaol.  Third time and y're outside th' walls for a week, fourth and it's always.  If y' fight wi' weapons, then it's three days in gaol, or outside the walls f'r always.

Kill some'n, and it's th' gallows f'r y'.

Pay y'r debts, or it's gaol and the stocks f'r y'.


During this speech, the clerk is quietly examining each Writ, and taking basic notes.

Once all of this is done - and you've retrieved whatever you don't want stored long term - the stablehands lead your animals off for care and feeding, while other laborers haul your cart towards the warehouse doors.

Vensc looks at Mando specifically, and says Th' Goat and Pilgrim are on th' plaza by th' southwest corner - just keep th' Wall on y'r left, and y' can't miss them.  He then turns, and follows the men with your cart, lifting an iron ring of keys from his belt as he walks.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:35, Thu 23 Jan 2020.

Shabaka Ramose
 Retainer, 4 posts
 Half-Dragon youth
 Squire to Kenemon
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 02:11
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Shabaka has listened to all of this with steadily widening eyes.  These people seem to get less friendly the further north we go, Master, he says quietly in a worried voice as the Corporal walks away.

The kobolds both seem inclined to stick close to Shabaka or Kenemon, and look distinctly worried.  Even Kug'no is uncharacteristically keeping his eyes properly on the ground (and not others' pockets).

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:13, Thu 23 Jan 2020.

Montana James
 Dustin, 6 posts
 Human
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 02:28
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
whispers to Mando: damn, this place already sucks...Make sure to watch yourself and dont start any shit.
Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 11 posts
 Dragonborn
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 02:42
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Kenemon sighs and turns towards Shabaka.
The Dragon Gods, like the mountains crumble with time. Our people have walled themselves off, building towards the heavens, instead of stretching our wings. Do not worry, what we do here will stop Ta-Senet from crumbling. Take Kig'ru and Kug to the warehouse and gather our bedrolls. Secure us room and board at the tavern. Lay low there
Kenemon turns looking at Kig'ru and Kug'no. He walks over and pats Kig'ru on the shoulder.
It's gonna be alright, nothing will happen. He stands up and turns back to the green dragonborn. Keep an eye on them, Shabaka. Keep them out of trouble.
Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 15 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 03:06
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Montana James (msg # 25):

PSSH! Yaright! Guess I'll do my best. I won't be held accountable for my actions if someone comes at me wrong though.
lvellios Morthykes
 Craigery, 2 posts
 Half-Elf
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 16:14
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset (msg # 26):

Let get moving little guts is hungry " While holding my black n White kitten"
Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 17 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 17:33
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to lvellios Morthykes (msg # 28):

Overhearing lvellios' comment, Mando frowns and yells from the bottom of the cart.
Oi!!! acourse I'm hungry! Who you callin' little bub?! Slamming his open palm against his abs
lvellios Morthykes
 Craigery, 3 posts
 Half-Elf
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 18:01
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Mando Thornberry (msg # 29):

My kitten jumps out of my Robe to my shoulder and I start Scratching his head. I say "this is who I'm calling little".
Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 18 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 18:42
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to lvellios Morthykes (msg # 30):

Mando stares at the kitten and licks his slowly licks  his lips.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 65 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 19:23
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
The interior of the keep is paved in cobblestone, which is reasonably even, but the smell is quite strong - it's been over a week since the last real rain, and over a month since the last snow of winter finally melted away; the single open gutter in the middle of the way isn't yet overflowing, but it is looking pretty full.  [Secret to Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset: In Ta-Senet, only a kobold slum would have such a primitive system.  Properly buried where the stinks cannot assail good folks' noses is where sewers belong.]

You reach the southeast corner of the Outer Bailey, and there is more foot traffic ahead - townsfolk intent on one errand or another, a pair of guardsman walking a slow patrol, a few goats, and a rooster watching over a trio of hens who seem to have found a bit of spilled grain to feast on.

Along the south wall is a line of what look to be small homes built against the inside of the Keep's wall.  Across from them - thus, to your right - is a building whose entire front facing is open to the street; the sounds of clanging, and the smell of smoke.  A painted wooden sign hanging over the building depicts a hammer and pair of tongs.  As you approach and look inside, you see it is an obvious forge, where three men are working.

Just past the forge is a small square, with paths leading north and west.  Fronting the square are two buildings with additional painted wooden signs hung over their door; the nearer one shows a shovel and pickaxe, the further shows a crate and bulging sack.

As you move into this small square, the townsfolk each pause for half a beat as they notice you.  Upon seeing the kobolds, a few of them spit on the ground and mutter curses, and others bundle their youngest children indoors and away from the potential threat.

From the northwest, you begin to catch the first hints of food being cooked.
lvellios Morthykes
 Craigery, 4 posts
 Half-Elf
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 20:19
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Mando Thornberry (msg # 31):

I tell mando if he thinks of doing anything to guts I'll cut off that Tongue he likes having Attached to him
Montana James
 Dustin, 8 posts
 Human
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 22:02
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to The Game Keeper (msg # 32):

Well guys, I for one am getting hungry and tired of field rations. I'm going to go search for some food and drink.
Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 19 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 22:28
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Montana James (msg # 34):

Mando looks up at Ivell and growls a bit and slowly approaches. Who the FUCK do you think you're talking to huh?! Is that a threat Punk?! Whatchit BUB! I'm not afraid to kick you ass then have myself a new pet kitten. Then attempts to nutcheck him. C'mon Montana, I'll join ya. I'm gettin' kinda hangry.

I did a dice roll for that Nutcheck attempt. Dunno where it shows up...

This message was last edited by the player at 22:31, Thu 23 Jan 2020.

Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 13 posts
 Dragonborn
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 22:34
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Enough Mando. Iíve sent the others to secure us room and board and move our belongings into the Tavern. They should already be expecting us.
Kenemon steps politely between Mando and Ivel attempting to block the  nutcheck and continues down the street towards the tavern.
Montana James
 Dustin, 9 posts
 Human
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 22:42
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset (msg # 36):

let's go get some food then Ken. I'm sure someone will find us when we are needed. It does appear that we stand out

While walking Montana keeps an eye out for a bookstore or library of sorts.
Guardsman
 NPC, 1 post
 Human
 Soldier
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 22:52
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
OOC: Mando swings for Ivelios' nuts, and misses by a very, very narrow margin, hitting him in the thigh instead and dealing 3 damage.

The patrolling guardsmen, perhaps attracted by the apparent scuffle between Mando and Ivelios, have turned to head your way, from the north.  They will arrive in only a few seconds if you linger here.
Shabaka Ramose
 Retainer, 5 posts
 Half-Dragon youth
 Squire to Kenemon
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 22:55
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Shabaka, with Kig'ru and Kug'no close behind, had been moving at a brisker pace than the rest of the group to begin with.  The trio have now managed to turn the corner down the road to the west, and are now out of sight of the party.
Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 20 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 22:59
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Mando continues to walk with Montana seeking food and beverages.
lvellios Morthykes
 Craigery, 5 posts
 Half-Elf
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 23:03
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Ok let see if there somewhere to eat and have some drinks before we start any Trouble
The Game Keeper
 GM, 68 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 02:23
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
The group proceeds across the small square, and down a road between one of the shops on your right, and a squat stone building, with only a couple of small iron barred windows, on your left, before emerging into a large plaza; a small fountain sits in the center of the northern half of the plaza.

Around the corner to your left, the entrance to that stone building is a set of iron-bound, oaken double doors.  A metal sign on a cast-iron post to one side of the door depicts three coins, one each of copper, silver, and gold.

To the left, past two more small houses, is a long building with a high peaked roof of neatly-trimmed and dressed thatch, outside of which is a sign depicting a bed.

And ... the far north end of the plaza is entirely occupied by a long, two-storey building bearing a sign of an elongated goat in an arch, over a foaming mug of ale.  From it's open door and windows come the typical sounds of a tavern - and the smells of food.

Shabaka emerges from the inn, and upon seeing you, hurries over and bows to Kenemon.  The kobolds are nowhere in sight ... which is, perhaps, not a bad thing, just now. [Language unknown:  Utplul, blewh foca k ossiee, an p tha hatic fietee oretinwil.  I yin wais whear o Ndesfi, Caceel, hat A ain aivor iole ul m ntle pre iou i relaie.  Ioues der ek ughhatare ure nicon prant nce aveourons.  Tholinsti ai adle strom comnteome po na venantenc.  En haetei ill n ulchec nt trami, si welat oul tallom, essti to ivevenichess onshatfor ofcape her nde haouet.  Th hibe atla evarev o of Roninc enta Elhiur onlosein o artlo.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:55, Fri 24 Jan 2020.

Montana James
 Dustin, 10 posts
 Human
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 02:28
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
What did he say Ken? Is the food terrible or something?

Montana looks around the plaza and sighs.

Well I guess this place doesn't place much stock in education or reading. Hopefully I can surmise everything about the caverns when we get there.
Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 22 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 02:38
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Montana James (msg # 43):

Fooooood!
Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 14 posts
 Dragonborn
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 03:23
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Montana James (msg # 43):

He said everything has been arranged. The inn is all booked up except for two rooms. Shabaka has secured us those, the three of yíall can take one and Iíll take the other with my retainers. However there isnít a continental breakfast.

Kenemon gestures forward to allow Montana the lead.
lvellios Morthykes
 Craigery, 6 posts
 Half-Elf
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 03:24
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Guts smells the food and start meowing to let me know he hungry I tell him it be okay boy I'm going to get you something good and pet him
The Game Keeper
 GM, 71 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 03:26
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Clarification: Shabaka said there were five private rooms, and he got them all.  One for each PC, one for Shabaka and the Kobolds to share.
Montana James
 Dustin, 13 posts
 Human
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 03:33
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset (msg # 45):

Montana takes the lead tipping his hat Brim. I walk into the bar and find us a table.
Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 15 posts
 Dragonborn
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 03:38
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Alright, alright. I canít do it for you, besides I wouldnít want to be locked in the same room with that thing. Eyeballs Gutts the Cat suspiciously. I splurged a little... ya know graduation gifts and all. Nothing but the best for my entourage. You can each have a room.

He follows Montana to the table.
Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 23 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 03:39
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Montana James (msg # 48):

Mando follows Montana a saddled up to the table looking for a barmaid.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 72 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 03:44
[IC] The Adventure Begins!


You walk into the Stretching Goat.  Inside is hot, stuffy, dily lit, and smells of a mixture of grease, food, alcohol, and unwashed bodies, in that order.

As you enter, there is a curving set of stairs to your right, and just beyond that, a bar formed of two tables end-to-end with a handful of stools - occupied at present.  The stone floor is generously covered in sawdust, and there are five tables, a lit candle stuck directly to the surface of each.

And it's busy.  More than a dozen people are here, most eating, a few only drinking.  A round-faced, pot-bellied man is tending the bar, while a young boy scurries about, collecting empty mugs and dishes, and trading them for full.  Just as you enter, a middle-aged woman has brought down three trenchers of stew that the boy scoops off, and brings over to one of the tables.

Hung from the ceiling above the bar is a broad board, altw dozen feet long and a third that in height, on which is painted the menu:
DrinksPriceAmount
ALE1 ep1 pint
BEER1 ep1 pint
SMALL BEER1 sp1/2 pint
WINE1 ep1/4
MEAD1 gp1/2 pint
BARK TEA11 sp1/2 pint
Soup & StewPriceAmount
VEGETABLE SOUPl spbowl
2 sptrencher4
RABBIT STEWl epbowl
6 sptrencher4
VENISON STEW1 epbowl
6 sptrencher4
Meat2PriceAmount
ROAST FOWL1 epdinner
ROAST RABBIT1 epdinner
SAUSAGE1 epdinner (2 links)
ROAST MUTTON1 gpdinner
ROAST BEEF2 gpdinner
OtherPriceAmount
HOT MEAT PIEl ep1 pie
BREAD2 cpthick slice
... W/ BUTTER1 2pthick slice
PUDDING1 spbowl
GOAT CHEESE1 spwedge
APPLES1 sptwo
APPLE PIE2 sp1 slice (1/6 pie)
DROVER'S PIE37 sp1 pie


You manage to find seats in the back corner - the lone fellow who had been seated there takes one look at your group, and quietly moves to a different table.  After a brief wait, the boy approaches your table.  Watcha have, sirs?
Shabaka Ramose
 Retainer, 6 posts
 Half-Dragon youth
 Squire to Kenemon
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 03:51
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Three drovers' pies, and three small beers.  Once these arrive, and coins have changed hands, he gathers them up and carefully carries them off to the inn.
Montana James
 Dustin, 14 posts
 Human
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 04:01
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to The Game Keeper (msg # 51):

1 venison stew bowl, and 1 ale
Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 16 posts
 Dragonborn
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 04:09
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
I will have the same please... better yet make it two ales itís been a hard road.
Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 24 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 04:14
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset (msg # 54):

to start gimme one of those drover pies and two meades
lvellios Morthykes
 Craigery, 8 posts
 Half-Elf
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 04:42
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
roasted rabbit, bark tea, and a bowl of water
Little Guts
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 05:29
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Mreewwww!
Montana James
 Dustin, 15 posts
 Human
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 14:23
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to The Game Keeper (msg # 51):

I look around and see if anyone is eyeing us and trying to get a general sense of the room.
Bumbo Wickman
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 16:18
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Well, all conversation paused a beat when you walked in, but that hasn't been unusual anywhere you've gone since leaving the immediate area of the Academy (where folk are more accustomed to seeing "exotic types" - they even got used to the Kobolds after about a year).

When conversation resumes, much of it it is more boisterous (as if to deny that you're anything unusual at all), but there's also some quieter talk, in hushed tones and with speculative glances your way, in between the louder parts.  You're new in town, and you're clearly not just another group of farmers or shepherds looking to settle.  There's been growing trouble around here for months, and either you're here to fix it, or you're here to be it - and thus, definitely a topic for conversation.

None of the muttered conversation seems to have an overtly angry tone, at least.

After a while - a quarter-hour, give or take - your food and drink arrives, all in one batch: the man behind the bar has come out to help the boy bring your food to the table.

Greetings, strangers, the man says in a cheerful voice, I am Bumbo Wickman, and I welcome you t'my tavern, the Stretching Goat.  May I ask what brings you so far north?

While Bumbo is speaking, the boy shifts food and drink from the trays he and his father  were carrying (the resemblance is plain to see, this close up) to your table, then heads back to the bar to tend to the other customers.
Montana James
 Dustin, 16 posts
 Human
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 16:21
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Hello Bumbo, we are here to hopefully end the raids stemming from the caverns.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 75 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 16:44
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Bumbo smiles broadly.  Are you, now?  Well, that may be th'best news we've had in weeks!  It's got so folks're afraid to be about after sundown, outside the Walls.
Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 17 posts
 Dragonborn
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 19:58
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Kenemon takes a swig from his ale.
Is there anyone who could tell us more about the cave or have seen the raiders first hand? Iím afraid the map we have received and the specifics are well... rather vague. We are happy to help and with more details this could be a quick ordeal or a much longer struggle, perhaps the routes that have the highest activity or if anyone has witnessed this first hand. Iíve seen the looks the townsfolk have given my retainers so Iím led to believe that kobolds and other like minded goblinkin are to blame, but if thatís the case why hasnít the local guard been able to run them out? Incompetence? If one of our temples is infested or our merchant routes assaulted, I can assure you weíd be rallying to  burn them out.
Bumbo Wickman
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 20:38
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Well, it seems most've th'raids are coming from th'valley, Bumbo says.  So they's got to be in the caves, yeah?

As for th'Guard, th'Keep ain't very large, and there's all th'farms and hamlets t'watch over.  S'pose there just ain't enough of 'em to do all what needs doin'.  That's why th'Castellan sent for help, and word was that th'cademy was going t'send some folks to handle things.

We ain't none of us heroes, not even th'Guard.  We're just regular folks, hey?  Wellaway, but you're here now!

And for me, well, Billem's a good enough lad, but I should be getting back to th'bar now.


And, with that, Bumbo nods and walks back to the bar, giving a wave and word of welcome as some other townsfolk enter the tavern, and clapping another fellow on the shoulder as he stands to leave.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:02, Sat 25 Jan 2020.

Little Guts
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 20:41
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Little Guts ignores everything except the chance to lick and bite at the meat on Ivelios' plate - and grab a piece for his very own, which he guards jealously .... while eyeing anything else tasty on the table.
Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 25 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 20:44
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Bumbo Wickman (msg # 59):

Mando quickly snatches his first mead and greedily chugs it as the boy sets down his pie. He slams down the empty tankard with a loud Rick-like BEEeeeEELCH!! After guzzling down half the other pint he pauses, separates it from his mouth briefly and boisterously exclaims I'll have another then continues to drink. As mead dribbles from the sides of his mouth he crams and hand in his pouch to dig out a 10 silvers.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:43, Fri 24 Jan 2020.

Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 18 posts
 Dragonborn
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 02:24
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Kenemon lowers his tankard to find his fellows shoveling their faces.
Is it just me or did it get awfully quiet in here. Gentlemen, please remember to breathe between spoonfuls.... spend the evening relaxing and then head out first thing?
Montana James
 Dustin, 17 posts
 Human
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 02:58
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
I think heading out in the morn will be best. especially if the raids are happening at night we might be able to catch what ever it is asleep.
Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 26 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 03:02
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Montana James (msg # 67):

With a mouth full of pie, you hear Mando mumble sounds good chomp! munch!
Montana James
 Dustin, 18 posts
 Human
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 22:22
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
After Montana finishes his food he looks around to see if there is anything cool going on. Like a card game or similar.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 76 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 22:28
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
There's a couple guys playing Nine Men's Morris at one of the other tables.  They've been at it for a while, now.  And, as it happens, you notice that the tables all have the board for that game carved right into the tops, with a bowl of pieces next to the candle.

However, most of the people here tonight seem a bit more intent on getting themselves on the outside of some food and maybe a mug of ale, and then either heading home for the night, or - more likely - heading back to a last few hours of work before full dark.
Montana James
 Dustin, 19 posts
 Human
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 22:32
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Hey Mando. wanna play a game? or what about either of you two? looking at Ken and Ivellios
Mando
 Jesse, 27 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A teapot of rage!"
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 00:06
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Montana James (msg # 71):

Mando shoves the final bits of the desert half of his drover's pie past his lips, looking for his 3rd mead he ordered. Sure mate! It's been a while, and I ain't very good at it... I ne're been too good with the head games boyo.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 82 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 00:08
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Orders are generally filled in reasonable time.  I'm just not going to post every single time the wine boy stops by for refills and such.
Mando
 Jesse, 28 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A teapot of rage!"
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 00:44
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to The Game Keeper (msg # 73):

Ah! there she is! Mando says while stretching for his new beverage across the table. He scratches his head wonder if he really wants to get invested in a game of Nine Men's
Montana James
 Dustin, 27 posts
 Human
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 20:03
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
With the game finished.well guys what time should we meet up in the morning to head out? Montana heads to his room.
Mando
 Jesse, 34 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A teapot of rage!"
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 20:30
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Good game mate! BEEEELCH! You off to bed already? C'MOOON there's prolly a couple women round here lookin for some comp'ny!

:looks around for some tail:
(any ladies around lookin' lonely?)
Kenemon
 DeWayne, 20 posts
 Dragonborn
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 20:33
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Kenemon stands up. If the raiders are striking at night, then we should probably be up around first light see if any reports have come in. Maybe we can catch track a fresh trail.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 90 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 22:55
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Very few of the customers are women, much to Mando's disappointment.  And the few there are, seem pretty well attached to someone, deepening his disappointment even further.
Montana James
 Dustin, 28 posts
 Human
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 23:45
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
sounds good Ken. let's meet up here at this table 30 minutes before first light. if there was a raid then I imagine word will make it's way to this place no problem.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 91 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Sun 26 Jan 2020
at 23:57
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
OOC: Does anyone else have anything they want or need to do before heading for the Inn and retiring for the night?
Mando
 Jesse, 35 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A teapot of rage!"
Mon 27 Jan 2020
at 00:41
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
"Damn that's fucking early Ken..." mando takes one more glance around, and makes his way to bed tossing up a disappointed gesture of gnight as he leaves the tavern. "On the morrow then mates!"
Kig'ru
 Retainer, 1 post
 Kobold
 Kenemon's servant
Mon 27 Jan 2020
at 00:56
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to The Game Keeper (msg # 80):

Nope
lvellios
 Craigery, 9 posts
 Half-Elf
Mon 27 Jan 2020
at 04:09
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
I spent time talking to the woman to bring one to the inn
The Game Keeper
 GM, 92 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Mon 27 Jan 2020
at 04:31
Re: [IC] The Adventure Begins!
The Game Keeper:
Very few of the customers are women, much to Mando's Ivellios' disappointment.  And the few there are, seem pretty well attached to someone, deepening his disappointment even further.

The Game Keeper
 GM, 93 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Mon 27 Jan 2020
at 04:53
Re: [IC] The Adventure Begins!
The group finds their way back out into the darkening streets, some with disappointed reluctance, and heads to the inn next to the tavern, "The Pilgrim's Rest".  This is a long, low building with a high-peaked roof.



A man, very thin and long-legged, is seated behind a desk just inside the door, taking a few coin from a pair of farmers with too far to travel home tonight and waving them on to find empty bunks in the long common-room.  Upon seeing you, he smiles faintly and bows.  Your boy said you'd be coming soon, Masters.  Your rooms are there, as he gestures to the five doors along the eastern side of the room, The boy and the ... other two ... are in the second-to-last room.

About half the bunks in the common-room are occupied (including the two who were paying as you entered).  The fire, two candle-lanterns on the east wall, and a candlestick on the desk, are the only illumination here (most of the room is in Dim light).

The rooms themselves are plain and simply furnished, with an eye more for durability than decoration, and include rope-frame beds with pallets of canvas, stuffed with straw and fragrant herbs.  A covered bucket is to your left as you enter the door1, and a simple chest sits open against the wall next to the bed, and a key hangs from a cord beside the window above it.  The windows in these rooms open on to a space only two feet wide, between the Inn and another building - except the window on the back wall of the very last room (Kenemon's, as it happens).

[Secret to Kenemon: When yu check on Shabaka and the Kobolds, you find the boy engrossed in a game of senet with Kug'no.  Upon seeing you, he scrambles to his feet ...]

1: Think "chamber pot", but less fancy.  Don't forget to close the cover after you use it ...

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:56, Mon 27 Jan 2020.

Montana James
 Dustin, 29 posts
 Human
Mon 27 Jan 2020
at 14:18
Re: [IC] The Adventure Begins!
Montana goes to a room and opens the door. He sets his ruck sack next to the head of the bed and places all his weapons on top of the ruck sack. Ready to grab and dash if needed in the middle of the night. He then goes to bed.
Kenemon
 DeWayne, 21 posts
 Dragonborn
Mon 27 Jan 2020
at 15:33
Re: [IC] The Adventure Begins!
Time for games is over, Hatchling. Let me see your blade and armor. You missed a spot here on your leathers. Be sure to spread your oil evenly. And your Kophesh hasnít seen a stone tonight. Sharp blade, sharp mind. Finish up now. Then get some rest and be ready. We are meeting half hour before first light in the tavern. Make sure Kig and Kug are ready.
Mando
 Jesse, 36 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A teapot of rage!"
Mon 27 Jan 2020
at 18:54
Re: [IC] The Adventure Begins!
Mando goes into his room shutting the door a little more aggressively than he intended. He tosses his backpack on the bed and his weapons next to that and gets ready for sleep. After he hops up on the bed he looks at one of the several bracelets he wears. He begins to caress it between his thumb and index finger. After doing this for a few minutes while deep in though he curls up under the covers near his backpack. Shortly after that, the adjoining rooms hear surprisingly loud snoring through the walls.
Montana James
 Dustin, 30 posts
 Human
Mon 27 Jan 2020
at 19:04
Re: [IC] The Adventure Begins!
Almost drifting off to sleep Montana bangs on the adjacent wall with mando and yells for him to shut up upon hearing his snoring. For fucks sake. shut up.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 94 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Mon 27 Jan 2020
at 19:29
Re: [IC] The Adventure Begins!
... that mightactually not be Mando.  There's a curse or two about someone snoring out in the common-room as well I swear, Darred, if ye don't stop I'll smother ye ... ye sound like twa bull moose in heat!  Roll over, dammit!
Montana James
 Dustin, 31 posts
 Human
Mon 27 Jan 2020
at 19:43
Re: [IC] The Adventure Begins!
Montana wakes up. Digs through his ruck for a handkerchief and then proceeds to tear it and stuff his ears with it. Then returns to bed.
Mando
 Jesse, 37 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A teapot of rage!"
Mon 27 Jan 2020
at 21:30
Re: [IC] The Adventure Begins!
For a second Mando slightly jerks his head up from the pillow with a start, illegibly mumbling something about Cora and instinctively reaches for her. He then immediately passes back out and rejoins the cacophony.