[IC] The Adventure Begins!   Posted by The Game Keeper.Group: archive 1
Montana James
 Dustin, 10 posts
 Human
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 02:28
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
What did he say Ken? Is the food terrible or something?

Montana looks around the plaza and sighs.

Well I guess this place doesn't place much stock in education or reading. Hopefully I can surmise everything about the caverns when we get there.
Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 22 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 02:38
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Montana James (msg # 43):

Fooooood!
Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 14 posts
 Dragonborn
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 03:23
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Montana James (msg # 43):

He said everything has been arranged. The inn is all booked up except for two rooms. Shabaka has secured us those, the three of yíall can take one and Iíll take the other with my retainers. However there isnít a continental breakfast.

Kenemon gestures forward to allow Montana the lead.
lvellios Morthykes
 Craigery, 6 posts
 Half-Elf
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 03:24
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Guts smells the food and start meowing to let me know he hungry I tell him it be okay boy I'm going to get you something good and pet him
The Game Keeper
 GM, 71 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 03:26
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Clarification: Shabaka said there were five private rooms, and he got them all.  One for each PC, one for Shabaka and the Kobolds to share.
Montana James
 Dustin, 13 posts
 Human
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 03:33
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset (msg # 45):

Montana takes the lead tipping his hat Brim. I walk into the bar and find us a table.
Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 15 posts
 Dragonborn
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 03:38
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Alright, alright. I canít do it for you, besides I wouldnít want to be locked in the same room with that thing. Eyeballs Gutts the Cat suspiciously. I splurged a little... ya know graduation gifts and all. Nothing but the best for my entourage. You can each have a room.

He follows Montana to the table.
Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 23 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 03:39
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Montana James (msg # 48):

Mando follows Montana a saddled up to the table looking for a barmaid.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 72 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 03:44
[IC] The Adventure Begins!


You walk into the Stretching Goat.  Inside is hot, stuffy, dily lit, and smells of a mixture of grease, food, alcohol, and unwashed bodies, in that order.

As you enter, there is a curving set of stairs to your right, and just beyond that, a bar formed of two tables end-to-end with a handful of stools - occupied at present.  The stone floor is generously covered in sawdust, and there are five tables, a lit candle stuck directly to the surface of each.

And it's busy.  More than a dozen people are here, most eating, a few only drinking.  A round-faced, pot-bellied man is tending the bar, while a young boy scurries about, collecting empty mugs and dishes, and trading them for full.  Just as you enter, a middle-aged woman has brought down three trenchers of stew that the boy scoops off, and brings over to one of the tables.

Hung from the ceiling above the bar is a broad board, altw dozen feet long and a third that in height, on which is painted the menu:
DrinksPriceAmount
ALE1 ep1 pint
BEER1 ep1 pint
SMALL BEER1 sp1/2 pint
WINE1 ep1/4
MEAD1 gp1/2 pint
BARK TEA11 sp1/2 pint
Soup & StewPriceAmount
VEGETABLE SOUPl spbowl
2 sptrencher4
RABBIT STEWl epbowl
6 sptrencher4
VENISON STEW1 epbowl
6 sptrencher4
Meat2PriceAmount
ROAST FOWL1 epdinner
ROAST RABBIT1 epdinner
SAUSAGE1 epdinner (2 links)
ROAST MUTTON1 gpdinner
ROAST BEEF2 gpdinner
OtherPriceAmount
HOT MEAT PIEl ep1 pie
BREAD2 cpthick slice
... W/ BUTTER1 2pthick slice
PUDDING1 spbowl
GOAT CHEESE1 spwedge
APPLES1 sptwo
APPLE PIE2 sp1 slice (1/6 pie)
DROVER'S PIE37 sp1 pie


You manage to find seats in the back corner - the lone fellow who had been seated there takes one look at your group, and quietly moves to a different table.  After a brief wait, the boy approaches your table.  Watcha have, sirs?
Shabaka Ramose
 Retainer, 6 posts
 Half-Dragon youth
 Squire to Kenemon
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 03:51
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Three drovers' pies, and three small beers.  Once these arrive, and coins have changed hands, he gathers them up and carefully carries them off to the inn.
Montana James
 Dustin, 14 posts
 Human
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 04:01
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to The Game Keeper (msg # 51):

1 venison stew bowl, and 1 ale
Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 16 posts
 Dragonborn
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 04:09
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
I will have the same please... better yet make it two ales itís been a hard road.
Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 24 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 04:14
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset (msg # 54):

to start gimme one of those drover pies and two meades
lvellios Morthykes
 Craigery, 8 posts
 Half-Elf
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 04:42
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
roasted rabbit, bark tea, and a bowl of water
Little Guts
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 05:29
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Mreewwww!
Montana James
 Dustin, 15 posts
 Human
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 14:23
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to The Game Keeper (msg # 51):

I look around and see if anyone is eyeing us and trying to get a general sense of the room.
Bumbo Wickman
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 16:18
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Well, all conversation paused a beat when you walked in, but that hasn't been unusual anywhere you've gone since leaving the immediate area of the Academy (where folk are more accustomed to seeing "exotic types" - they even got used to the Kobolds after about a year).

When conversation resumes, much of it it is more boisterous (as if to deny that you're anything unusual at all), but there's also some quieter talk, in hushed tones and with speculative glances your way, in between the louder parts.  You're new in town, and you're clearly not just another group of farmers or shepherds looking to settle.  There's been growing trouble around here for months, and either you're here to fix it, or you're here to be it - and thus, definitely a topic for conversation.

None of the muttered conversation seems to have an overtly angry tone, at least.

After a while - a quarter-hour, give or take - your food and drink arrives, all in one batch: the man behind the bar has come out to help the boy bring your food to the table.

Greetings, strangers, the man says in a cheerful voice, I am Bumbo Wickman, and I welcome you t'my tavern, the Stretching Goat.  May I ask what brings you so far north?

While Bumbo is speaking, the boy shifts food and drink from the trays he and his father  were carrying (the resemblance is plain to see, this close up) to your table, then heads back to the bar to tend to the other customers.
Montana James
 Dustin, 16 posts
 Human
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 16:21
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Hello Bumbo, we are here to hopefully end the raids stemming from the caverns.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 75 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 16:44
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Bumbo smiles broadly.  Are you, now?  Well, that may be th'best news we've had in weeks!  It's got so folks're afraid to be about after sundown, outside the Walls.
Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 17 posts
 Dragonborn
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 19:58
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Kenemon takes a swig from his ale.
Is there anyone who could tell us more about the cave or have seen the raiders first hand? Iím afraid the map we have received and the specifics are well... rather vague. We are happy to help and with more details this could be a quick ordeal or a much longer struggle, perhaps the routes that have the highest activity or if anyone has witnessed this first hand. Iíve seen the looks the townsfolk have given my retainers so Iím led to believe that kobolds and other like minded goblinkin are to blame, but if thatís the case why hasnít the local guard been able to run them out? Incompetence? If one of our temples is infested or our merchant routes assaulted, I can assure you weíd be rallying to  burn them out.
Bumbo Wickman
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 20:38
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Well, it seems most've th'raids are coming from th'valley, Bumbo says.  So they's got to be in the caves, yeah?

As for th'Guard, th'Keep ain't very large, and there's all th'farms and hamlets t'watch over.  S'pose there just ain't enough of 'em to do all what needs doin'.  That's why th'Castellan sent for help, and word was that th'cademy was going t'send some folks to handle things.

We ain't none of us heroes, not even th'Guard.  We're just regular folks, hey?  Wellaway, but you're here now!

And for me, well, Billem's a good enough lad, but I should be getting back to th'bar now.


And, with that, Bumbo nods and walks back to the bar, giving a wave and word of welcome as some other townsfolk enter the tavern, and clapping another fellow on the shoulder as he stands to leave.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:02, Sat 25 Jan 2020.

Little Guts
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 20:41
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Little Guts ignores everything except the chance to lick and bite at the meat on Ivelios' plate - and grab a piece for his very own, which he guards jealously .... while eyeing anything else tasty on the table.
Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 25 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Fri 24 Jan 2020
at 20:44
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Bumbo Wickman (msg # 59):

Mando quickly snatches his first mead and greedily chugs it as the boy sets down his pie. He slams down the empty tankard with a loud Rick-like BEEeeeEELCH!! After guzzling down half the other pint he pauses, separates it from his mouth briefly and boisterously exclaims I'll have another then continues to drink. As mead dribbles from the sides of his mouth he crams and hand in his pouch to dig out a 10 silvers.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:43, Fri 24 Jan 2020.

Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 18 posts
 Dragonborn
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 02:24
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Kenemon lowers his tankard to find his fellows shoveling their faces.
Is it just me or did it get awfully quiet in here. Gentlemen, please remember to breathe between spoonfuls.... spend the evening relaxing and then head out first thing?
Montana James
 Dustin, 17 posts
 Human
Sat 25 Jan 2020
at 02:58
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
I think heading out in the morn will be best. especially if the raids are happening at night we might be able to catch what ever it is asleep.