[IC] The Adventure Begins!   Posted by The Game Keeper.Group: archive 1
The Game Keeper
 GM, 30 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Sat 28 Dec 2019
at 18:49
[IC] The Adventure Begins!

(The Academy of Heroes)

  For several years, you studied at the Academy of Heroes, training to be adventurers.  The ultimate goals of students at the Academy vary - fame, wealth, power, or something else.  But whatever your reasons, the Academy offers the best path to achieve your goals.  And now, you have finally reached the end of this step of forging your stories: Graduation, and your first Expedition.  You, and several of your classmates, have formed a Company (as required to Graduate), and have been sent to a remote keep, on the far northwestern border of the Realm.

  Stories have reached the Academy of Orc, Goblin, and other raiders, basing themselves in a place the locals call The Caverns of Chaos.  You have been sent to verify these rumors, explore the Caverns if they exist, and eliminate any threats to the Realm you find there.  Your journey has lasted several weeks now, including passage by ship on the river Drakewine.  Cities have given way to towns, and towns to villages, as the population grows ever smaller, the further you travel from the capital of Crownhaven.  For three days you have traveled through mostly uninhabited lands; the road has climbed higher as you enter the forested and mountainous country of the borderlands.

  Finally, just past noon today, the road turned east around the shoulder of a hill, and you see a scattering of farms ahead - and, on a rocky outcrop past them, Castellan's Keep, the nearest settlement to the Caverns of Chaos.


(Castellan's Keep, viewed from the west)

  Moving past the farms, you move up a narrow, rocky track that ascends the outcrop.  A sheer wall of natural stone is on your left, the path falling away to a steep cliff on the right.  There is a small widening ahead, where the main gate to the Keep resides on the other side of a chasm, ten feet wide and perhaps twice as deep.  All along the wall you see curious faces peering down at you, eager to welcome new champions of Law, but ready with crossbow and halberd to give another sort of welcome to enemies.  As you draw up before the raised drawbridge, a man-at-arms in mail and blue livery leans out from the right-hand tower, and shouts to you:

  Hold!  State your names, and what business you have here, Strangers!

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:52, Wed 22 Jan.

Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 3 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 05:34
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to The Game Keeper (msg # 1):

Mando leans against the side of the cart resting. With his feet propped up on his pack and his arms folded across his chest, he sharply blows some hair out of his face and looks up to return this man's gaze with a bit of a scowl waiting for one of his more mouthy comrades to answer.
Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 3 posts
 Dragonborn
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 06:07
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Kenemon looks at Mando from his saddle and rolls his eyes. The green dragonborn, Shabaka, stands beside his horse looks up at him. Kenemon sighs.

"Shabaka, please be so kind as to introduce us." Kenemon glances back to the two cloaked kobolds failing to nonchalantly hide their fear in the back of the wagon.  A wry smile crosses Kenemons scaly lips, something that resembles more of a sneer. "We can't afford to lose another kobold to the town watch."

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:21, Wed 22 Jan.

Shabaka Ramose
 Retainer, 1 post
 Half-Dragon youth
 ((DeWayne))'s squire
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 06:21
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Shabaka steps forward without hesitation.

"Greetings.. um... Captain? ...of the Watch. I am pleased to announce the arrival of Ends Inc. We received dispatch of raiders plaguing you... kind... people. Have no fear, your heroes are here."

Shabaka returns back to Kenemon. Kenemon stifles his laughter.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:44, Wed 22 Jan.

Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 4 posts
 Dragonborn
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 06:45
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Shabaka Ramose (msg # 4):

"Not bad, squire, better than the last time. We'll work on it."
Shabaka sighs and lowers his cloaked head as a chuckle escapes Kenemon's lips.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 59 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 16:01
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
After a brief discussion amongst the guards which you cannot quite catch, there is a rattling noise, and with a creak the drawbridge descends.  Simultaneously, a stout, iron-reinforced portcullis is raised, opening the way to a tunnel through the keep's outer wall.

Two human guards in platemail, with surcoats bearing the blue-and-white arms of Castellan's Keep, advance from the tunnel to the end of the bridge.  The Corporal will need to see your Writ, Adventurers, one says - eyeing the pair of Dragonborn suspiciously as he speaks.  If you will follow us, keeping your weapons secure and your hands clear of them, the corporal is this w-

The second guard, who has been looking over the party, glances into the back of the cart and spots Kig'ru and Kig'no sitting inside.  HOI!, she shouts, interrupting the other guard.  What's this now?  They've bleedin' Kobolds with 'em!  Both guards' hands move immediately to their weapons as they take a pace back from you ...
Shabaka Ramose
 Retainer, 2 posts
 Half-Dragon youth
 Squire to Kenemon
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 16:03
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Shabaka moves between the two kobolds and the guard, his hand straying towards his dagger as he looks to Kenemon for guidance.
Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 5 posts
 Dragonborn
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 16:31
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Kenemon steps down from his saddle. He stands up to his full height in front of the guards, his red scaled hands outstretched to show no harm.
[Language unknown:  Larverncevor ee] Easy now, gents. Any assault on my property is an assault on me
Shabaka Ramose
 Retainer, 3 posts
 Half-Dragon youth
 Squire to Kenemon
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 16:37
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Yips and cries of fear begin to emanate from the cart as the two kobolds cower.

Shabaka tightens the grip on his dagger, taking a low stance. The scent of sulfur reaches his nostrils are wafts of green mist escapes his tightly clamped jaws. Keeping his eyes on the guards, his body poised to pounce and ready to unleash his poisonous breath. But he knows better, Kenemon will handle this.

[Private to Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset: We need to stay consistent on poor Shabaka's gender.  We're gonna confuse the poor kid if we don't!  :D]

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:12, Wed 22 Jan.

Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 5 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 16:53
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Shabaka Ramose (msg # 9):

Mando LEAPS to his feet, cracks his neck and knuckles and begins to bob sway back and forth (a la street fighter)
WE GONNA GO?! LET'S GO! COME ON!!!
Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 6 posts
 Dragonborn
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 17:45
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
[Private to GM: Hey, yeah idk. I read something earlier and thought you had used a female pronoun. I guess not, my bad. And do you want to control them? I didnít even ask if I could and just wrote for him.
Also, wife might be interested in this, if youíre willing to take on a new player
]

Woah, woah...  Kenemon casts a glance back at Mando. He reaches into his satchel and presents the folded up writ. As you can see my fellows are eager to help with the raiders. Weeks of long travel have made us weary and cranky.  If you would be so kind, gracious Guardsman, escort me and my entire brigade to the captain.

Kenemon is trying to ease the situation while trying to imply this isnít the best solution for anyone.
Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 7 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 18:24
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset (msg # 11):

Mando's  breathing slows much closer to a normal pace as his fists relax. His eyes noticeably dart between the guards and Kenemon.
Oh c'mon Ken, lemme have a lil' fun! I wasn't gonna hurt'em much... a toothy grin creeps across Mando's mug as he eyeballs the guardsmen up and down.
Montana James
 Dustin, 2 posts
 Human
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 19:39
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Montana barely registers as alive while leaning back against his pack in the wagon. After the standoff is over he reaches up and raises his hat Brim so he can see better. He continues to go along for the ride appearing to go back to sleep.
Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 8 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 21:20
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Montana James (msg # 13):

Seeing that there's no fun to be had, Mando settles back into his relaxed state; kicking his feet up and cradling the back of his head with his interlocking digits as he leans against the cart once more.
Corporal of the Guard
 NPC, 1 post
 Human
 Soldier
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 22:58
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
The guards look back and forth between each other, the Kobolds, and various of the party, until a guard with a yellow armband calls from the other end of the tower, If they've got the proper Writs, just send 'em in already!

Still looking dubious, the two guards escort you down the tunnel.  To either side are crossletted arrowslits, and above are murder holes; this would not be a good place to get trapped.  Fortunately, the inner gate remains open, and you emerge into the light once more as the portcullis is lowered back into place, and the drawbridge creaks back into it's customary raised position.

The yellow-armed guard stands before you, next to a man who is plainly a clerk (the writing-board and quill pen are dead giveaways).  Welcome to Castellan's Keep, Adventurers; I am Corporal Vensc, he says.  Turning to Kenemon, he continues: Kobolds and trash like 'em ain't much liked here.  'spect you'll keep your ... pets ... on a very short leash, yeah?  Out of sight would be better; there've been three raids by their kind in jus' the past two moons.  Couple deaths, a bad fire.  Lots of folks'll react real bad to seein' two on'em inside the walls.  Prop'rty or no, they cause a panic, they get spitted.  We clear on that?

One of the original guards quietly chuckles unkindly at the last line, while glancing sideways at the kobolds, and Shabaka.
Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset
 DeWayne, 8 posts
 Dragonborn
Wed 22 Jan 2020
at 23:42
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
Kenemon taps his palm to his chest. There is no offense taken and need for worry from your citizens. Ends inc is here to help. As for the kobolds, I hold full accountability for their actions, of which there will be none.
Kenemon shoots Kug a knowingly look and then watches for Shabakaís reaction.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:51, Wed 22 Jan.

Mando Thornberry
 Jesse, 11 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "Small bundle of rage."
Thu 23 Jan 2020
at 00:01
[IC] The Adventure Begins!
In reply to Kenemon Ak'hom Tarset (msg # 16):

Mando belches loudly while scratching his chest. "I'm thirsty! I want rum, meat and women!"