[IC] First Steps.   Posted by The Game Keeper.Group: archive 1
Shabaka Ramose
 Squire, 8 posts
 Half-Dragon youth
 Squire to Kenemon
Sun 2 Feb 2020
at 22:34
[IC] First Steps
Shabaka looks a little green ... er, pale, after watching Mando retrieve his javelin, and keeps darting glances at the bullywug body.  He studiously keeps to the right-hand side of the cart, as far away from the corpse as he can get without leaving the cart.
Mando
 Jesse, 48 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A teapot of rage!"
Sun 2 Feb 2020
at 23:04
[IC] First Steps
Mando shrugs, wipes off any frog goop from his Jav in the grass and stabs it into the ground a few times for good measure. looks good n clean! He then clambers back into the cart. ready to go mates? and returns to his previous spot.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 119 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Mon 3 Feb 2020
at 04:25
[IC] First Steps
Not wanting to linger, in case the fleeing bullywug returns with reinforcements, the party gets underway again.  The road continues on to the east for another hour, before turning north to pass through a saddle in the hills; your information indicates that the Caverns of Chaos are in a ravine in the northwest slope of this saddle.

As you travel, the clouds to the south spread across the sky, and a light, cold rain begins falling as you enter the saddle.  By the time you are halfway through it - and estimate, by the slopes just visible over the trees to the west, that you are at the foot of the ravine - everyone is quite thoroughly damp.

From here, you will have to leave the road - and possibly the cart and horse; getting it through the trees, even here where the forest is light, will be a challenge.



See OOC thread for important information!
Kenemon
 DeWayne, 28 posts
 Dragonborn
Tue 4 Feb 2020
at 03:47
[IC] First Steps
Kenemon guides Montana into a good position off the road in the dense wood land. Close enough to the road they could easily identify landmarks and relocate it but just enough out of sight that anyone not specifically looking for it would see. He sends Shabaka to help Mando cut fresh saplings to secure it more.
Kenemon then helps the kobolds find a good spot to hide. He helps them secure a pack with some rations up in a tree that had low enough branches the kobolds could shimmy up to one and reach a safety in the higher branches. (Hopefully) He hugs the older kobold and then pats the younger one on the shoulder as he gets up to leave.
[Language unknown:  Waste lite Vertrares Ilac ellilo ekkor thho esthu arendeoer atutre sieiel dipe mahe heno waaili tethu. ]
Kenemon then hands Shabaka a pack of rations and supplies they will most likely need. He looks the hatchling in the eyes and says <Rose>I know you think you are ready but I need you here. Protect them. Keep them quiet and in line. Kenemon adjusts his Khopesh in its scabbard, tightens the arm straps on his shield, nods to the others and says. Ready when yall are.

OOC: I will roll any survival checks or kobold handling that you need me to roll. Was just trying to summarize and wrap up that scene based on our fb chat.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:36, Tue 04 Feb.

Montana James
 Dustin, 39 posts
 Human
Tue 4 Feb 2020
at 04:41
[IC] First Steps
Survival Check 22:40, Today: Montana James rolled 22 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 20
Mando
 Jesse, 50 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A teapot of rage!"
Tue 4 Feb 2020
at 05:09
[IC] First Steps
Mando finishes hacking down several saplings then asks They need these Ken? and extends both hand axes.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 122 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Tue 4 Feb 2020
at 05:20
[IC] First Steps
To the east of the road, the party manages to find a small space, shielded from the road by a few evergreen trees and a patch of brambles, against a sheer rock face that stands out from the steep wall of the slope.  At the back is a small overhang, and a tiny stream flows out of a cleft in the rock-face.  The space is about twenty feet across from screen to the rock face, and about forty feet long.  There are signs that it has been used as a campsite before, especially a small, shielded hearth built against the rock face at the back of the overhang, by a natural chimney a couple hands wide, but the ashes in it are weeks old, perhaps older.

After erasing the tracks of horse and cart, you feel confident that Shabaka and the Kobolds will be safely concealed from any raiders (or patrols) that might happen along the road.

The walk east, up the sloping floor of the ravine, will take about an hour if you move openly, or about ninety minutes if you wish to make a more stealthy approach.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 123 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Tue 4 Feb 2020
at 05:42
[IC] First Steps
Kenemon seems to have an unerring knack for finding literally every dry stick in the ravine ... by stepping on them.  The only way he could have made more noise, is to have tripped over a root into a pile of dry twigs and sticks.



You approach from the east (in roughly the middle of the right-hand side of the map).
Montana James
 Dustin, 41 posts
 Human
Tue 4 Feb 2020
at 16:03
[IC] First Steps
Montana looks over at Ken and asks so are you trying to hide or what?
Mando
 Jesse, 51 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A teapot of rage!"
Wed 5 Feb 2020
at 16:55
[IC] First Steps
So we just getting intel right now, or we gonna try'n take these faulkers our?!
Kenemon
 DeWayne, 30 posts
 Dragonborn
Thu 6 Feb 2020
at 05:38
[IC] First Steps
I think that we should move to that cave there *points to d* if we try to move to one further in we risk being cut off from behind. As far as intel or rolling in swords raised, its the same thing. We will investigate and assess the situation before moving in. Right? On me.
Kenemon pushes past the group "Stealthily" moving towards cave d. His shield braced in front of him his hand on his hilt.
Mando
 Jesse, 52 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A teapot of rage!"
Thu 6 Feb 2020
at 14:06
[IC] First Steps
Mando grips the chain of his flail snug against the handle in an attempt to be as stealthy as possible and prepares to follow Ken. (Stealth roll?)
Montana James
 Dustin, 42 posts
 Human
Thu 6 Feb 2020
at 14:48
[IC] First Steps
As kenemon pushes through Montana. He just watches him for a second and thinks to himself how much of a dumbass Kenemon is.

As hushed but as loud as a hushed exclamation can be.Did any of yall even look before heading over there? Montana kinda rushes up to get back in line bringing up the rear and gives a hurried look around.

Perception check: 08:46, Today: Montana James rolled 7 using 1d20 with rolls of 7
The Game Keeper
 GM, 125 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Thu 6 Feb 2020
at 20:44
[IC] First Steps
As the group creeps up on the nearest visible cave entrance the rain grows heavier, and there is a long, low rumble of thunder far to the south.  The light fades rapidly, fading to Dim light after only ten feet, and then into total darkness ten feet further on.  The entrance opens into a tunnel leading into the hillside, which swiftly forks into three possible paths.  The ground looks level as far as you can see, largely dirt  near the entrance and giving way to stone further in.

[Secret to Kenemon; Mando; Montana James: ]


[Secret to lvellios: Because of your elven heritage, you can see further, and more clearly, into the darkness than your companions.  The middle path ends thirty feet from the entrance, only ten feet into actual darkness.  You also notice that while the first ten feet of the tunnel is natural, the tunnels walls past that point show clear signs of having been worked with picks and chisels.  The walls are straight, and the ceiling is a regular arched curve overhead.

]

At present, standing just outside of the cave entrance, you hear nothing except the rain.
Montana James
 Dustin, 43 posts
 Human
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 02:54
[IC] First Steps
Montana will step 5ft into the cave and will light his lantern. If nothing jumps out to kill him immediately, do any of the paths show more traffic than the others?
The Game Keeper
 GM, 126 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 03:15
[IC] First Steps
Montana lights his bullseye lantern, and sweeps it from left to right, revealing what Ivellios had already seen: the center path ends in a rough rock face thirty feet from the cave entrance.  Also, while the first ten feet of the cave is a natural formation, after that the tunnels have clearly been worked with tools.  The walls are straight, the ceiling a curved arch, about seven feet high at the center.  Tool marks cover every inch of the walls and ceiling.  Traffic seems to be highest to the right, with some traffic to the right and, of course, towards the entrance. [Secret to Montana James: The pattern and spacing of the toolmarks is at odds with the flooring.  The floor is much newer, less than a year old would be your guess, based on how (relatively) clean it is.  The use of triangular panels suggests goblinoids of one sort or another.  But the walls are older work, much older.  You think they might be dwarven, but for dwarf-work, it's shockingly crude, or else, unfinished.]

Having stepped inside, you can faintly smell woodsmoke and seared meat, though you can't quite pick out the direction it's coming from.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:35, Fri 07 Feb.

Montana James
 Dustin, 44 posts
 Human
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 03:37
[IC] First Steps
Montana signals to the rest to come in and whispers to them looks like goblins have been working this part of the cave system recently.
Kenemon
 DeWayne, 31 posts
 Dragonborn
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 06:36
[IC] First Steps
Kenemon steps into the system following Montana. Thinking of the pyramids of Ta Senet and their deadly traps, his eyes scan the walls, ceiling and most importantly the floor for any signs of something suspicious.
to himself
You've got this, you've trained for this. Its easy. Just keep scanning...
Mando
 Jesse, 53 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A teapot of rage!"
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 14:35
[IC] First Steps
As Mando walks in following the others, he turns around and backs in keeping an eye on the entrance, for now.
Kenemon
 DeWayne, 33 posts
 Dragonborn
Mon 10 Feb 2020
at 13:57
[IC] First Steps
Kenemon hisses to the rogue a little further ahead of them.

Illveios or whatever your damn name is... are you gonna stand there like a child scared of the dark or are you gonna head down the hall? Its a little cramped in this entrance and were all trying to get out of the rain.
Mando
 Jesse, 55 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A teapot of rage!"
Mon 10 Feb 2020
at 20:43
[IC] First Steps
In an aggressive whisper Mando complains I might be the last one it hits... but this rain's still gettin' me soaked. Move ye asses!
lvellios
 Laurender, 13 posts
 Half-Elf (Wood)
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 00:30
[IC] First Steps
"Sheesh, give a man few seconds. My eyes had just accustomed to the darkness when that light was added to the mix. Even my superior vision takes a moment to adapt to fast changes," Ivellios playfully says, while starting to follow the signs of traffic going into the tunnel to the right.
Montana James
 Dustin, 46 posts
 Human
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 01:05
[IC] First Steps
Montana will follow about 10ft behind watching for changes in the walls and floors that would clue him in on more information about the cave system.
Mando
 Jesse, 56 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A lil' teapot of rage!"
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 02:22
[IC] First Steps
Mando rings out his cloak then flings it around his back reattaching the clasp at his throat. Quietly, with his flail at the ready he glances one more time behind the party, covering their six.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 148 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 06:23
[IC] First Steps
After sorting themselves out for a few moments, the party moves down the right-hand corridor.  Twenty feet down that way, there is a curtain of tattered and rotting cloth hung across the width of the corridor.  Just as you reach it, there is a wooden *THUD* from the other side, and a voice calls out [Language unknown:  SESTNG!! ERSENTONEENC TO INRE! IONAMEFOR!!], and the sound of several someones moving about.

Reaching out to push the curtain aside and see what has raised the alarm, the entire thing simply tears away from it's crude fastenings and falls in a heap at your feat.  Six goblins, wearing crude patchwork leather armor, are scrambling to their feet around a large, low table, hurriedly snatching up spears as they turn to face you.

The room is roughly twenty by thirty; the northern wall is of dressed stone [Secret to Montana James: clearly of goblin work], and two natural passages with dirt floors open to the south.  A barrel holding over a score of spears sits along the southern wall, and a keg against the northern wall.  Two candles on the table provide the only illumination in the room.



Initiative!


OOC: Remember that candles provide bright illumination to 5', and dim illumination 5' further out.  The table, and the ten squares in a ring around it, is brightly lit; the next ring of spaces is dimly lit, and the remainder of the room is dark as pitch - excepting your own light source, of course.

The "A" and the "1" indicate a coordinate system.  Starting locatiosn for the party are:

Montana  : P,5
Mando    : P,6
Kenemon  : Q,5
Ivellios : Q,6

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:16, Wed 12 Feb.