[IC] First Steps.   Posted by The Game Keeper.Group: archive 1
The Game Keeper
 GM, 95 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Mon 27 Jan 2020
at 22:17
[IC] First Steps
Kug'no and Kig'ro wake everyone an hour before dawn, just as the sky to the east is beginning to lighten .... or would be, if you could see the horizon from within the Inn.  The candles in the common-room have all been extinguished, but the kobolds use the candle from their room - lit from embers in the hearth - to light the ones in your rooms, so you can see to dress and gather your things.

By ones and twos, everyone makes their way to the Tavern .... which is open, and already has a few customers being tended to by a yawning Billem.  There doesn't seem to be any especial urgency, and no sound of alarms - nor were there any disturbances in the night, aside from Darred's snoring (which really did sound like a pair of bull moose in heat), so it seems either there were no raids last night, or at least, that word of any has not yet reached the Keep.

Outside, the sky brightens more and more, painting the clouds to the south in a gorgeous array of reds and oranges, as the party settles down to break their fast and plan out the day.  [Secret to Montana James: There's an old saying that comes to your mind: "Red sky at night, Traveller's delight; red sky at morning, Traveller take warning".]
Mando
 Jesse, 38 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A teapot of rage!"
Tue 28 Jan 2020
at 00:04
[IC] First Steps
Mando awakens and dangles his feet of the bed. He then takes a moment to caress the same bracelet again; the one with a strip of leather intertwined with a dark piece of what looks like very fine rope. After a short workout of 100 pushups and 100 situps he gather his things and sluggishly arrives last after. He stretches and yawns as he makes his way through the door then continues to a table of familiar faces. what's for breakfast mates? He inquires. Can I get a morning cider or ale over here?! He exclaims.
Montana James
 Dustin, 32 posts
 Human
Tue 28 Jan 2020
at 00:26
[IC] First Steps
morning all. couldn't sleep for shit thanks to all the noise in that inn.

Billem! I need a cup of your strongest coffee[equivalent in game stimulant]


Montana looks around. well looks like we are here. finish up a quick breakfast then head out? ken can we send one of your guys to fetch the horses and cart while we eat?
Kenemon
 DeWayne, 22 posts
 Dragonborn
Tue 28 Jan 2020
at 06:37
[IC] First Steps
Kenemon wakes to the sound of Kugíno entering his room. He sits up and stretches.
Gímorning ol friend. Iím really sorry for the way everything has been going, the farther away from Ta Senet we have gotten. We should be leaving town this morn and hopefully you will find some comfort away from civilization. When Shabaka is dressed send him here for morning ritual.

Kigíro smiles, his eyes bright despite the early hours. The wrinkles in his leathery skin bunching as he smiles and nods. Gray whiskers sprout from his saggy muzzle giving away his age.

[Language unknown:  Ome ica ous atthnt finiri ulei anliandi, Setvenove.  Al a ekpoof latanylin ngove ul ndospa p ustrckof.  Ntetwi ck nail Encorewit!]

Kenemon nods at his old caregiver. Having Kig with him is like having an uncle or grandfather. Heíd been at Kenemons side since Ken hatched. Kigíro bows and leaves the room. Shortly after a small knock comes from the door. Kenemon greets Shabaka, shutting the door behind him.

My armor is in the corner. Recite the old code as you help me buckle it on. We must keep with our training despite the road.

The duo dons their respective armor helping each other with buckles and latches. After recitals and their morning prayers, they head to the tavern to meet with the others. As they come upon the food hall, Ken will turn to Shabaka.

Find the kobolds. Help them ready the horse and wagon. Pull around to the side of the tavern, but keep those two out of sight until daylight. We will be out as soon as possible.

Yes, Master, the boy replies, trying in vain to hold back a yawn before slipping out the door.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:59, Tue 28 Jan.

The Game Keeper
 GM, 101 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 06:21
[IC] First Steps
Planning to get an early start, the adventurers load up on drover's pies and a couple skins of wine (or other beferage) so they can break their fast on the road.  By the time they've got everything assembled and paid for, Shabaka, Kig'ru, and Kug'no have the horse and cart out front.  Everyone clambers aboard as Shabaka moves aside for one of the adults to take the reins, and you head out.  After a brief pause while the main gate is opened for you, you head back down the approach road, at the bottom of which you turn left and head east, following the road in the direction of the Caverns of Chaos, your first true quest.

There are no farms of hamlets east of the keep.  Or, none occupied, at least; you do pass a dozen or so obviously abandoned small farms, most smashed into ruin; a few are nothing more than burned out ruins, their former occupants obviously long gone ... or long dead.

The road here is even worse than to the west - a rutted track, that must surely turn to a muddy bog when it rains.  The cart jostles and jounces along, wheels creaking in the early morning light.

OOC: Decide who's driving, and how fast you want to go - either slow and cautions (and 2mph), or at a brisker pace (about 3mph).
Mando
 Jesse, 43 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A teapot of rage!"
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 20:53
[IC] First Steps
Who's drivin' this thang?!
:Scratches head:
UuuuummmI have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and I can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around me. In addition, I can find food and fresh water for myself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.
:Spits:
Montana James
 Dustin, 33 posts
 Human
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 22:09
[IC] First Steps
Ooc: I guess Montana can drive and I would say a good 2mph pace for the travel speed.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:04, Wed 29 Jan.

Mando
 Jesse, 44 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A teapot of rage!"
Wed 29 Jan 2020
at 23:37
[IC] First Steps
Mando hops into the wagon and settles in for the ride tossing his gear in the corner behind Montana and leans against it pulling out his flail to polish it.
Kenemon
 DeWayne, 24 posts
 Dragonborn
Thu 30 Jan 2020
at 07:56
[IC] First Steps
Kenemon leans to Shabaka, his face snarled in disgust.
Look around, Hatchling. See the lives that have been ruined or lost. The Codes of [Language unknown:  Taarri] require that the Nomes of Ta-Senet look after the people of their lands. They are the ra'n-kumat's loyal subjects. They tend our lands like these people do. They feed and clothe our people. They are the life blood of the Great Dragon-Gods.
Our role in life as [Language unknown:  Lesessrea ck formi Shelarany], we ensure things like this never happen to our people and that when it does, we drive those responsible to [Language unknown:  Tatoni]'s embrace so that they never tread our sands again. We are the shield that protects our lands, the Khopesh that soaks it in blood. From the lowly Refused to the mighty Exaulted. What we do in this cave, Shabaka, is and will always be necessary. [Language unknown:  Thart ioinpl enic art hisstaort osin asad. ]

Kenemon gives a knowing nod towards the rest of the party.

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:01, Thu 30 Jan.

The Game Keeper
 GM, 105 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Thu 30 Jan 2020
at 10:20
[IC] First Steps
The group travels through the early morning hours, stopping once or twice to check out a charred ruin or abandoned farmhouse close to the road, but finding nothing worth noting; all were clearly abandoned weeks ago, at the most recent.  It seems everything east of the Keep has been, at least for the time being, surrendered to the humanoid raiders, bandits, and other threats.  You see little other than the occasional game animal, some birds, and one small, probably-stray dog (who doesn't stick around to find out if you're friendly).  Overall, your journey is uneventful.


(Red-and-grey crosses: abandoned and ruined farms)
(concentric red circles:
YOU ARE HERE)


With stops, your speed has slowed to an effective one mile each hour.  Just under two hours out from the keep, about a mile and two thirds, your fortunes change.

You hear them before you see them: a buzzing noise, faint at first but growing steadily louder, coming from the south (to your left).  When you finally see them, you aren't at first quite sure what it is you're looking at - nor whether to believe your eyes, when you figure it out: to very, very large flies.  With riders ... frogs, dressed in rough clothes of ill-cured hides, bearing primitive spears and blowguns.

They've seen you, and are angling towards you.

TIME FOR INITIATIVE

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:07, Sat 01 Feb.

The Game Keeper
 GM, 110 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Sat 1 Feb 2020
at 06:17
[IC] First Steps
Both of the creatures guide their clumsy mounts towards the party, as Ivellios disappears into the brush and grasses to the north of the road.

One rider attacks Montana, striking him with a small dart liberally coated in a slimy green substance - but is struck and badly wounded, in return, by a small bolt from Montana and a not-so-small javelin from Mando.

The other rider tries to untie a large stone hung below his mount, intending to drop it on Kenemon, but cannot manage to loosen the knot - and for answer, Kenemon puts a javelin into the fly.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 117 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Sun 2 Feb 2020
at 15:25
[IC] First Steps
From concealment in the bushes, Ivellios lets fly with a well-aimed arrow, striking the bullywug in the side of it's head and flinging it clear of it's mount; it falls fifty feet and lands with bone-crunching force, narrowly missing Montana as he dodges out of the way.

The other bullywug rider, still unable to free either stone, sees this and his courage breaks.  Turning his mount south, he flees, signalling for the other fly to follow with an odd, warbling whistle.  Both disappear to the south, headed for the river as the buzzing sound of the flies wings fades away.

All around the party the area is deathly silent for a few minutes, until the birds once again begin, one by one, to fill the early morning air with their song.

Shabaka has his hands full for a few moments calming the horse (gigantic buzzing flies overhead were bad enough, a bleeding body falling behind and to one side was almost enough to panic it), as the party takes stock of the situation an decides what to do next.
Kenemon
 DeWayne, 27 posts
 Dragonborn
Sun 2 Feb 2020
at 15:42
[IC] First Steps
Kenemon walks over to Shabaka to help him with the struggling horse.
You did well Hatchling. Remember that there are many things in this world that have to take what they need. Sometimes itís just their nature. Your duty is to protect those that can not protect themselves Kenemon makes a gesture towards the kobolds, he lets his arm sweep a little to the side, slyly indicating the rest of the party and giving Shabaka a knowing glance.
Letís gather our wits and get back on the road. Keep an eye on the skies in case he decides to come back.
Mando
 Jesse, 47 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A teapot of rage!"
Sun 2 Feb 2020
at 21:20
[IC] First Steps
Mando saunters over to the corpse, looks down at it saying Nailed it! Placing his right foot on the sticky mound and with a squelch he retrieves his javelin.looking around for Ivy he calls out Thanks for assist bub! He then looks at the putrified end of the Jav and asks the group. Should I just uuum... wipe this off in the grass or som'n? Is it safe to carry?

This message was last edited by the player at 21:35, Sun 02 Feb.

Montana James
 Dustin, 37 posts
 Human
Sun 2 Feb 2020
at 22:09
[IC] First Steps
well boys that was fun. let's keep an eye up and out. it might return with friends.

Montana double checks the harnesses and tackle on the cart and horses then gets situated to continue the trip.