[OOC] First Steps.   Posted by The Game Keeper.Group: archive 1
The Game Keeper
 GM, 120 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Mon 3 Feb 2020
at 04:28
Re: [OOC] First Steps
So, carts and wagons don't do well in forests, off-road.  I'm going to make navigating any forest hexes with your cart an Extended Wisdom(Survival) Test, DC 15 for light forest, or DC 20 for heavy forest.

Each check takes 30 minutes.

Each hex you want to cross, requires a success.  A simple failure means you make no progress, and may try again.

On a Natural 20, you get lucky, and find an easy way through (which takes only 15 minutes).

On a natural 1, you get unlucky, and that hex is impassable - you will have to backtrack, and try a different route.

Montana James has the highest survival, and because the entire party can be assumed to be helping, he can make the roll with Advantage.  You're stopped next to the thinnest part of the light forest between you and the ravine, so you only need one success.

Or, you could decide to just leave the cart alongside the road ... up to you folks.  :)

Good luck!
Montana James
 Dustin, 38 posts
 Human
Mon 3 Feb 2020
at 18:34
Re: [OOC] First Steps
I'm good trying to take it or leave it. Perhaps the best thing would be is to bring into the tree line and then leave the kobolds with it. And build somewhat of a blind to obscure their location.
Mando
 Jesse, 49 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A teapot of rage!"
Mon 3 Feb 2020
at 18:52
Re: [OOC] First Steps
Mando'd be down for whatever. Hes willing to help chop down some saplings if need be.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 121 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Mon 3 Feb 2020
at 20:42
Re: [OOC] First Steps
For future reference, once you get back to the Keep in a couple days: INQUIRE ABOUT RENTING A HOUSE.  I will make one available to you, at a price the group can afford, which has room for all of you (retainers included) and your gear.

Then you can safely leave Kenemon's retainers behind during your expeditions - with the kobolds to keep young Shabaka on the straight and narrow (-ish; he IS an adolescent) ... and Shabaka to interface between the townsfolk and the kobolds.

I even have the spot picked out for that - the one right next to the Inn.  I had expected you to spend a day or two settling in ... but, no, off you all went, at first light ... kid and noncombatant slaves servants in tow ... :D .... and we all know what happens when a GM "expects" his players to zig.

They zag, of course.  :D

...

In the short term, remember that periodically, humanoids issue from this ravine, head down to the Keep, and sow chaos, blood, and fire in the night.  So you'll want to give some thought as to WHERE you want to hide the cart, the horse, and the Retainers.
Kenemon
 DeWayne, 29 posts
 Dragonborn
Tue 4 Feb 2020
at 05:24
Re: [OOC] First Steps
Stealthy


23:24, Today: Kenemon rolled 4 using 1d20 with rolls of 4.  Stealthy movement.
Montana James
 Dustin, 40 posts
 Human
Tue 4 Feb 2020
at 16:01
Re: [OOC] First Steps
What is the time if day when we get to a point where we can see the entrance?
The Game Keeper
 GM, 124 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Tue 4 Feb 2020
at 16:14
Re: [OOC] First Steps
Well, let's see.

I said it's March, IIRC.

You left at first light.  Dawn, in March, varies between ~6:45 and ~6:15, using 2020 numbers and ignoring DST.  So, call it "about half past six".

It took you two hours to cover the distance from there to here.  And we'll say, about half an hour to get the cart-and-retainers settled.

Add an hour and a half for the (failed due to loud stiompy dragon-man) stealthy approach.

it'll be about half past ten.

...

As for approaching unnoticed:

You can be considered "lightly obscured", since - despite Mister Stompy Dragon-Man's twig-finding talent - you're probably not striding boldly across open stretches of grass, but instead, trying to keep brush and such between you and the head of the valley.  That means, any lookouts there are, will have Disadvantage on any attempts to see you.

OTOH, the same is true for your chances of spotting them.

The saving grace here, is that it's raining.  That means, hopefully, everyone is being a bit stay-at-home, and keeping themselves under a roof.

Hopefully.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 127 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 06:52
Re: [OOC] First Steps
By teh way, if the whole "concrete floor" bit seems anachronistic?

Remember that the Romans were building with concrete over two thousand years ago.  According to Wikipedia:
quote:
Vitruvius, writing around 25 BC in his Ten Books on Architecture, distinguished types of aggregate appropriate for the preparation of lime mortars. For structural mortars, he recommended pozzolana (pulvis puteolanus in Latin), the volcanic sand from the beds of Pozzuoli, which are brownish-yellow-gray in color in that area around Naples, and reddish-brown near Rome. Vitruvius specifies a ratio of 1 part lime to 3 parts pozzolana for cement used in buildings and a 1:2 ratio of lime to pozzolana for underwater work, essentially the same ratio mixed today for concrete used in marine locations.


:)
The Game Keeper
 GM, 128 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Fri 7 Feb 2020
at 23:07
Re: [OOC] First Steps
GAME PAUSED

.... ever so briefly.

Craigery doesn't have the time to devote to a Forum game, so I'm going to look for a replacement, and while I'm at it, maybe pick us up a #5.

So, I'm going to put the game briefly on pause - just until Sunday Night / Monday Morning.  If I can find someone who will take over Ivellios, we can proceed without any Retconjury.

Regardless, I will make the next IC post no later than Monday Noon-ish.  :)
The Game Keeper
 GM, 136 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Mon 10 Feb 2020
at 16:38
Re: [OOC] First Steps
GAME UNPAUSED


Huzzah!

Laurender has taken over Ivellios, without major changes.  Except he noticed that Craig never picked two skills for Expertise.  And, with less excuse, I never caught on to that.  Whoops!  I'm sure he'll have it fixed soon, and in the meantime he can get on with the RPing.  :)  EDIT: and also some mis-clicks on Language groups.

jjetpack, meanwhile, has completed his character ... and hopefully you find him soon.  That's not a jacuzzi they're heating up for him ... :D

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:17, Mon 10 Feb.

Mando
 Jesse, 54 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A teapot of rage!"
Mon 10 Feb 2020
at 17:05
Re: [OOC] First Steps
Noice! Ain't no party like a D&D party!!!
The Game Keeper
 GM, 140 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 02:21
Re: [OOC] First Steps
Alright, I'm going to need a marching order for you folks.

And I need to know if you're heading east, or west.  (North is the TOP of the wee bitty map you've seen so far.)
lvellios
 Laurender, 14 posts
 Half-Elf (Wood)
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 02:30
Re: [OOC] First Steps
You had said previously that the most amount of traffic was to the right, that I take to be to the west. (Though you continue that with there also being some traffic to the right, so I can't know which one of those is supposed to be left.)

I don't think I would be first in the marching order, nor do I want to be the last. Is there enough room to go side by side, or are we going one by one?
The Game Keeper
 GM, 141 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 02:53
Re: [OOC] First Steps
Sorry.

Most of the traffic is to the west - LEFT side of the map, RIGHT TURN your characters are facing into the cave.

There's a smaller amount of traffic apparent to the east - RIGHT side of the map, LEFT turn for your characters.
Mando
 Jesse, 57 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A lil' teapot of rage!"
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 03:00
Re: [OOC] First Steps
Is it dumb for the Barbarian to be at the back? I'm thinkin' I'll either be last or second. danger sense could come in handy up front...
lvellios
 Laurender, 15 posts
 Half-Elf (Wood)
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 04:07
Re: [OOC] First Steps
There is no reason enemies couldn't come from behind us. And halflings do have that useful Halfling Nimbleness that would let you move through our line. But yes, someone with Danger Sense would make a good "minesweeper" too.
Mando
 Jesse, 58 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A lil' teapot of rage!"
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 18:15
Re: [OOC] First Steps
Valid... Except I forgot we're only LVL 1!!! :(
Aight, I'll just stay at the back for now.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 143 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 21:24
Re: [OOC] First Steps
So ... if I may (in order to speed things up) suggest:

  • Ivellios
  • Montana
  • Kenemon
  • Mando


... sound good?

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:24, Tue 11 Feb.

lvellios
 Laurender, 16 posts
 Half-Elf (Wood)
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 21:30
Re: [OOC] First Steps
I'd rather be second
The Game Keeper
 GM, 144 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 21:33
Re: [OOC] First Steps
SUDDEN REALIZATION

I forgot, all of the maps of the Caves are on a "1 square is 10 feet" scale.  So the cavern and corridors are TEN feet wide.  I should have specified that sooner, but re-reading my description, I clearly did not.  Oops (yet again).
Kenemon
 DeWayne, 34 posts
 Dragonborn
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 01:53
Re: [OOC] First Steps
Iím good with it
Montana James
 Dustin, 47 posts
 Human
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 04:32
Re: [OOC] First Steps
I'm good but if I'm up front by myself we is screwed
Mando
 Jesse, 59 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A lil' teapot of rage!"
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 04:38
Re: [OOC] First Steps
Cave wide enough for 2 side by side? Montana/Mando up front? I'm not raging and kinda wanna savem.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 146 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 05:41
Re: [OOC] First Steps
So, then ...

MandoMontana
IvelliosKenemon


...?

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:16, Wed 12 Feb.

lvellios
 Laurender, 17 posts
 Half-Elf (Wood)
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 05:51
Re: [OOC] First Steps
Seems good to me.