[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...   Posted by The Game Keeper.Group: archive 1
The Game Keeper
 GM, 137 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Mon 10 Feb 2020
at 17:13
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
OOC notes: You aren't an adventurer officially; you were in the area looking to get access to a few rare books, copies of which were rumored to be in the possession of a monastery in the remote north, with an interest in borrowing them to have copies made, or possibly making copies on-site.  On your way there, you were captured.

As for the Writ ...?  A bit of world-building on the spot: a Company can admit new members, even if they aren't Academy graduates, at their discretion.  The only catch is, at least one member of any Company must either be a graduate, or have been in a proper Company for at least three years, else the Writ expires.



You slowly wake up, struggling to throw off the fog that shrouds your mind.  You try to cradle your throbbing head in your hands, only to discover that your wrists are bound.  You've also been gagged, with a foul and filthy rag.  And you're laying in some of the dirtiest straw you've ever seen, which is literally _crawling_ with fleas.  Or worse.

You're somewhere dark, with walls of worked, but not dressed, stone.  And there are bars, wooden but still bars, between you and the wall.  There is dim light in the chamber, coming from a fire behind you.

As awareness finally drives the fog from your thoughts, you remember hiring a seat on a merchant's wagon.  It seemed like a safe enough way to travel - three wagons, four guards, the merchant, two other drivers, and the merchant's young nephew.

Seemed.

The small caravan passed the Keep just past noon, the merchant unwilling to give up half a day's travel just to spend coin on rooms in an inn, and meals in a tavern.  He brushed off the rumors of supposed raids by bandits and orcs, insisting That's just a ploy to separate honest merchants from a few more coin, a story to frighten them into paying to spend the night within their walls.

How wrong he was.  A band of goblins set upon the Caravan shortly before sunset, just as the guards (who put a bit more faith in those claims of bandits, than their employer) had begun to relax, while on the downslope northeast of the saddle in which the raiders were reputed to make their home.  You don't remember much; a flight of arrows that struck down one of the guards, a driver, and the horse drawing the wagon you were in.  Then as the Goblins charged out of the trees, the wagons were hit with a rock-fall, obviously set up by the ambushers.

The world tipped drunkenly, there was a sense of falling, and then oblivion.

Obviously, you must have hit your head (hence the throbbing pain) and been knocked senseless.  You don't know if anyone else escaped, or was taken prisoner with you.

By goblins.  A few of whom are in the chamber, over by the fire, by the sound of it; there is apparently an argument going on behind you, just now; under it, the sound of a fire, and ... sloshing?  There are three distinct voices:

[Language unknown:  Mofo'urpr a eau i om elta thriec?]
[Language unknown:  Ovevorear moho patrplio, eveiouven ic our osno oleve evecomwhence?]
[Language unknown:  dayredman llnari K ourte leou nt eauut saloecni, k tinthevor!]
[Language unknown:  O, te tinhister amedayoul aniest tio ive ndven.  Ratoulven oneverles ng redundnte art p ndusic, iceen lanoncelur ne intateman, ate eau erto ivugh.]
[Language unknown:  Uthas, us rom N onome, ck prolescom stati ngevev pe art ac tael set ckbena!]
[Language unknown:  Ntare urwi ntiwitore ch larmo siil proametheout ne reanesst ard red derichman seha moca ntic-osle!]
[Language unknown:  E th armoce ortro tratinnte, tiest hou verit te ll ivcaro unthitnc!]
[Language unknown:  Pr artaveect anhat iene, m prneio evoul atenotall noaipo ic ti iv a.  Saul undestoer een the ec, po wi be atati lales earsherom ...]
[Language unknown:  Celeit leon korpl, Hobe, wi evdica pe.  M omena asio filoun il All, k ma we intlarson erurei us ntiinther, ME REBLE!]

... and it continues in a similar vein, as you hear the sounds of things being dropped into water, and begin to smell .... oh, dear: boiling potatoes and carrots.

Seems you're for the stew, soon.

If you're lucky, that argument is about you ... and won't be finished too soon.

This message was last updated by the GM at 17:14, Mon 10 Feb.

Dorbis
 jjetpack, 4 posts
 Magic Enthusiast
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 06:52
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
Well, Dorbis has certainly had better days. For now, he shuffles a bit so that his hands are between himself and the wall and focuses on wriggling his hands free. Then, he could cast and possibly do something about this mess. Perhaps perform a Comprehend Language ritual? He does hate not knowing what's being said...

Dorbis's stomach softly growls. He isn't sure how to feel about the fact that the stew smells delicious. Or that a hot bath actually sounds pretty damn nice. Who knew there might be upsides to being cooked alive?

If he finds a way out of this, Dorbis resolves to take an hour long bath in celebration. The Gods knew he could use one.

00:49, Today: Dorbis rolled 14 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 12.  Dex check to wriggle free of bonds.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 142 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 08:11
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
Thankfully, he goblins are obviously too distracted by their argument to hear Dorbis' small movements.  After several minutes of uncomfortable contortions of his hands, he manages to slip one hand free - after which, it's easy to remove his gag.  Without the horribly fouled rag stuffed into his mouth, the smell of the stew makes his stomach rumble even more.  Who knew goblins could cook a fairly decent vegetable stew?  Now, if only Dorgis weren't on the list of ingredients ...!



OOC: Comprehend Languages requires Material components, and you don't have yours on you; the soot would probably be easy, but the salt ... not so much.  Not to mention, the goblins would CERTAINLY take notice of you reciting Verbal spell components for a solid ten minutes. :)  Those can't exactly be whispered, unfortunately.

And it IS a shame you don't speak Goblin, 'cause there's some useful information in that conversation ... :D

Dorbis
 jjetpack, 5 posts
 Gnome
 Magic Enthusiast
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 17:07
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
Ah, freedom! From his bindings at least. Dorbis is aware that this all might be futile, but he'll still make an effort. Where's the fun in life if you just accept that you'll be eaten today?

Plus, with his hands free Dorbis can see how the Goblins like a fire under their ass. Too bad his spell would putter out when they poked him through with spears. Stab wounds have a troubling tendency to inhibit complex magic.

Dorbis tries to discretely turn towards the fire and see what he can make of his captors. He winces as his elbow bangs into the floor beneath him during the maneuver.

OoC: Haha yeah the Comprehend Language bit was never meant to be a practical idea. Maybe if he had it prepared, but his rituals are languishing in his spellbook for the week...

10:58, Today: Dorbis rolled 6 using 1d20+1 with rolls of 5.  Stealth check.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:08, Tue 11 Feb.

The Game Keeper
 GM, 145 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Tue 11 Feb 2020
at 22:01
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...

OOC: you are located where the red-and-yellow star is.

You are in a thirty by forty foot room.  The south wall is a large hearth, with an adjacent oven; a fire is blazing in the hearth, and a large cauldron is hanging over the fire on an iron, hook-ended arm stapled to the stone so that it can swing out, or back over the fire.  Three goblins wearing leather aprons are arguing while chipping vegetables at a nearby table .... but they are not alone.  Far, far from it, in fact.

You count a score and ten goblins in this chamber, in total - though you have to restart your count a few times, as a half-dozen are clearly children and spend their time dashing around and about the chamber.  Only ten, including the three "chefs", are armed (all males, with scimitars of goblin make - crude, but effective weapons).  The chamber itself is filled with a scattering of stools, tables, benches, and haphazard heaps of bedding.

A pair of the smallest goblins, probably children, are carrying the cut vegetables from the table where the arguing trio are sitting, over to the pot, where a female goblin sits, slowly stirring.

The others are all engaged in, well, what probably passes as ordinary domesticity, among Goblins.  On the other hand ... you rather wish you hadn't had to witness most of it, yourself.

More importantly, yours is not the only cage along the northern wall.  There are two others.  One, to the west, is empty of all but bloodstained straw.  The other, to your east, is occupied by a small, huddled form that is trembling, and you can hear soft sobbing.  It's the merchant's young nephew, who also appears to have been captured ... and has almost certainly realized that he's bound for the stew pot, or worse, himself.  Not a happy thought for a ten-year-old child ... not that you're any happier about it yourself, of course.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 147 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 06:22
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
There is a sudden stir in the room, all the goblins turning to look to the tunnel in the southeast, from where you can hear - as if from some distance down the tunnel - another goblin voice, shouting [Language unknown:  NGCHES!! MENGROEV U PL! VERUNDOUT!!].  You're not sure what it said, but it certainly sounded .... agitated about something.

And the goblins here are reacting strongly to that agitation; the armed goblins quickly tip over several tables in a semicircle, to form a crude barricate facing the southeast tunnel, and then begin watching it intently, scimitars and shields in hand.

The females and juveniles, meanwhile, all move to the western end of the room.

The vegetables, the stewpot, and thankfully, you and the merchants nephew, all seem to have been forgotten for the moment.
Dorbis
 jjetpack, 6 posts
 Gnome
 Magic Enthusiast
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 21:39
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
Well. Dorbis was thinking his odds were slim when he only heard the three goblins, but it turns out there are tenfold present and more calling from the distance. Something's got them in a tizzy now as well.

Depending on what's the cause, that is either good for Dorbis or very, very bad. Considering he seemed doomed for the cauldron before, he decides to be cautiously optimistic about the turn of events.

Whatever's coming, having his spell components would help him face it. Dorbis studies the surroundings, trying to figure out where they might keep his confiscated belongings.

15:37, Today: Dorbis rolled 24 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 19.  Investigation check.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 152 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 22:59
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
No roll needed.  Your things, and the boy's, are in a jumbled heap on the floor, next to a few half-emptied sacks of potatoes, carrots, and onions.  Looks like the goblins might not have gotten around to pawing through it all very much.

Now if only they weren't six or seven feet away ...
The Game Keeper
 GM, 155 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Wed 12 Feb 2020
at 23:39
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
From the southeast tunnel, a bellowing roar is heard, and the tunnel is dimly lit with flickering red-orange light; this is followed, immediately, by the very brief shrieking of several goblins, obviously in mortal agony.  The goblins manning their impromptu barricade look about at each other, somewhat nervously.

OOC: don't you just wish you knew what was going on down there?  :D
Dorbis
 jjetpack, 7 posts
 Gnome
 Magic Enthusiast
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 00:54
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
Good. His stuff is well within reach. Dorbis takes advantage of the commotion to quietly incant a spell. He conjures a Mage Hand amidst his things, then silently manipulates the hand to grasp his component pouch and carry it just above the floor into his cage.

With his components in hand, Dorbis is at full fighting capability. Not that he was ever much of a fighter, but it's better than nothing.

...Is that burning goblins he's smelling? What a horrid stench.

OoC: Based on the room map it looks like I have direct line of sight into the southeast tunnel. How far can I see into it?

This message was last edited by the player at 01:01, Thu 13 Feb.

The Game Keeper
 GM, 156 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 02:21
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
OOC: ah, I did forget you have darkvision.  The tunnel goes ten feet, then ends in a T-junction - so there's a wall twenty feet from the mouth of the tunnel.  Nice use of Mage Hand, btw.  :)
The Game Keeper
 GM, 161 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 23:51
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
From the southeast tunnel, you hear a deep voice loudly saying, [Language unknown:   Me liut theantore.  Her evrat.  Ei icthom.], followed by some very, very heavy footfalls.

Moments later, the same voice bellows HAR HAR HAR, [Language unknown:  Ielar etdiwa ad ieolou!], followed by a sickening crunch ...

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:12, Fri 14 Feb.

Dorbis
 jjetpack, 8 posts
 Gnome
 Magic Enthusiast
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 00:50
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
It turns out that goblins are not the most dangerous thing around. Dorbis probably should have expected as much, given the fear the goblins were showing. Perhaps he can use that to his advantage.

He casts Minor Illusion to make a sound originate from the T-intersection he sees to the south. He makes the voice as close to what he just heard as he can. HAR HAR HAR ... Koll eat baby goblin! Dorbis follows it up with a chorus of high pitched goblin wailing that lasts the whole minute of the illusion's duration.

That done, Dorbis examines the door to his cage, trying to figure out how easy it might be to break the lock. Any escape plan requires him getting out of this cage somehow.

OoC: Well my original plan of waiting for adventurers to barge in for the rescue seems like it's not going to pan out. Might as well try to escape.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:20, Fri 14 Feb.

The Game Keeper
 GM, 163 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 05:19
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
The cage is made of saplings and bones, roughly lashed together with scraps of leather, braided cords of long grasses, and tattered strips of cloth.

Hearing the (supposed) betrayal of Koll the Ogre, all but two of the goblins charge down the corridor towards the sound of battle, shouting in unison [Language unknown:   Rethfo ard fohael!  MECHPE COM LOTOMA!].

OOC: OH, see now, I accidentally edited YOUR post, thinking RPOL had screweed up MY posting of Koll's dialog.  Let me change that back to "eat baby goblin" for you ... :D :D <
Dorbis
 jjetpack, 9 posts
 Gnome
 Magic Enthusiast
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 05:43
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
OoC: Lol I thought it was weird that he said a line in one language and finished in Common. I figured he was taunting the others. That probably means I shouldn't know his name though, hmm...

And before I do any action I want to get this straight. There's nothing binding the door to the cage shut besides the lashing? Or is there no door? Were the goblins going to untie something to get me out?

Edit. Basically I'm trying to figure out which course of action is possible to get out of the cage: untie something, cut it apart with my knife, or (bad idea) set it aflame and then try to run out.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:54, Fri 14 Feb.

The Game Keeper
 GM, 164 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 15:34
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
You've got it right, the cage is only lashed (very securely so) together, and shut.  They were relying on paying much closer attention to you, as it'd take several rounds, at best, to open it without a knife.

Don't sweat the name, though - your trick is going to be my "avoid a TPK" solution, now.  Muy thanks for the handy tool!

Dorbis
 jjetpack, 10 posts
 Gnome
 Magic Enthusiast
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 16:22
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
Dorbis has his mage hand retrieve his knife and uses it to cut the lashes to open the cage.

Good thing he remembered he even had a knife. This is so much better than his initial plan of creating a bonfire inside a wooden cage full of flammable straw.

OoC: Haha nice to be of assistance.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 168 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 16:40
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
While you're quickly and quietly cutting your way to freedom, you hear - from the same tunnel - a new voice, raised in alarm and with a touch of panic:  Holy Shyte! That's a helluva hit! You see that Montana?! We gotta go! NOW! ABORT! ABORT! REGROUP!!!  WE GOTTA BEAT FEET! HELP ME WITH THIS BIG BASTARD!

Common.  And not a Goblin's voice.  And clearly, not having a good day ...
Dorbis
 jjetpack, 11 posts
 Gnome
 Magic Enthusiast
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 23:33
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
Huh. That Common sounds suspiciously like an adventurer. That would mean the south's probably the best bet towards freedom. Although they sound beaten, so it's questionable how safe that exit route will be.

Before he goes, Dorbis figures more chaos probably won't lower his chances. He casts Minor Illusion right in the midst of the huddled goblin children to produce the same voice as earlier. HAR HAR HAR ... Koll eat baby goblin! crunch

Then Dorbis rushes out of his cage and hurriedly grabs his stuff.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 173 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 00:09
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
The goblin children, and the females around them, all shriek in terror, and begin fleeing through the two western exits, most heading to the southernmost one.  The remaining two guards turn about, and seeing the very goblins they're supposed to protect are running west, they do the same, both heading down the northwestern tunnel.

You are free.

The room is empty of goblins.

The only sound is the quiet, terrified sobbing of the merchant's nephew, and the not-as-distant-as-you-might-like sound of battle from the southeastern exit.
Dorbis
 jjetpack, 12 posts
 Gnome
 Magic Enthusiast
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 02:12
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
Well that worked better than expected. Now Dorbis doesn't even have to abandon the kid to save his own skin. For now, anyways.

Dorbis cuts the boy's cage open and yanks him to his feet. "C'mon kid. I just made the scary goblins run away. Stick with me and I'll get you out of here. Now grab your stuff and get ready to run." He gives him a push towards his belongings.

20:05, Today: Dorbis rolled 11 using 1d20-1 with rolls of 12.  Persuasion.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:12, Sat 15 Feb.

The Game Keeper
 GM, 174 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 02:34
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
Shaking violently, the boy manages to pull his clothes on.  Some of it inside-out, and none of it fastened properly (it's hard to lace up your trews with fingers you can barely control and shaking hands).

OOC: I'm going to be "massaging" the rate of progress you can make, to keep the passage of time as close to in-sync between the two key threads as possible.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 176 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 04:35
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
From the southeast tunnel:

Why goblins cut Koll?  Koll not like!  Koll squish goblins, make jam for toast!
Dorbis
 jjetpack, 13 posts
 Gnome
 Magic Enthusiast
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 18:29
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
Dorbis gets dressed too and makes sure his stuff is ready to go while the kid is fumbling around. That Koll whoever seems to be keeping the goblins occupied for now.

"C'mon, let's get out of here." Dorbis doesn't trust the kid to handle himself and tugs him by the arm down the south tunnel. Once they get to the corner, Dorbis whispers, "I'm gonna peek around the corner. Don't move."

On the side that the noise of battle is coming from, he casts Minor Illusion to make it seem like the wall extends an additional 1 square foot into the intersection. He then pokes the illusion, the sight of his finger going through the rock telling his brain that something's off (he already knew that but it always looks so real), and the whole thing becomes transparent to him. He peeks his head around the corner under cover of his illusion to see what's going on. For good measure, he makes sure to look down the other way of the intersection as well.

OoC: Lol I didn't realize the goblins stripped their prisoners of clothes.

What he's doing with the illusion is basically transforming the top into the bottom:
   
WWD
 WK

 W 
WWD
 WK
W - wall
D - Dorbis
K - kid (I'll ask his name later)

You can just put me on hold for a while. I realize I'm probably taking a lot more actions than the group in combat.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:42, Sat 15 Feb.

The Game Keeper
 GM, 188 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Thu 27 Feb 2020
at 17:25
[IC] Boil, boil, toil and trouble ...
Scene Change


I'm merging your thread with the rest of the party, now - I'll be adding you to Group 1 in a moment.  You're off the left edge of the map in that thread - it will take you about twenty feet of movement to reach column "A".

Looking down the hall, you can see a halfling wielding a flail, the table and benches, and bright light coming from around the far corner (from J, not that you can see that bit of passage from where you are, yet).

The sound of battle comes from the room - some from the south, and more from the north.

Oh, and there's a long smear of blood leading past the table.