[IC] A hasty retreat.   Posted by The Game Keeper.Group: archive 1
Berlen
 NPC, 1 post
 Human
 Child
Sun 15 Mar 2020
at 03:20
[IC] A hasty retreat
B-berlen.  My n-name is Berlen, the boy says in a quiet and fearful voice as his eyes constantly dart about at the slightest rustle of the dense underbrush screening the campsite from view.
Mando
 Jesse, 68 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A lil' teapot of rage!"
Sun 15 Mar 2020
at 21:23
[IC] A hasty retreat
Mando looks for a good spot and cops a squat at the fire. He then pulls out some ration. He eyeballs the kid for a bit before silently offering him some.
Dorbis
 jjetpack, 20 posts
 Gnome
 Magic Enthusiast
Mon 16 Mar 2020
at 15:01
[IC] A hasty retreat
Dorbis stares at the boy, considering the whether it's worth it to learn his name over continuing to call him Kid. Eventually the need to be accurate wins. "Berlen it is then. Now what are you all in the area for, and have you seen any sign of the merchant group we were traveling with? I figure they're dead now, but that's still mere speculation."
Mando
 Jesse, 69 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A lil' teapot of rage!"
Wed 18 Mar 2020
at 02:51
[IC] A hasty retreat
Dorbis? Berlin? We ran into a lil trouble ourselves. A couple fly ridin' fools! They figured out pretty quick who not to fuck wit' ain't that roit Ke-... oh, right. So, where y'all headed?
Dorbis
 jjetpack, 21 posts
 Gnome
 Magic Enthusiast
Wed 18 Mar 2020
at 15:50
[IC] A hasty retreat
"Well that is troubling. I was traveling to a monastary up north to acquire some tomes. Although if the roads are suffering frequent attacks, I will likely not make it there. It looks like you plan on bringing your fallen friend back to the nearby keep. Would you mind if I tagged along? I plan to find someone at the keep to help put down the raiders so that passage along the roads is safe again."
Mando
 Jesse, 70 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A lil' teapot of rage!"
Wed 18 Mar 2020
at 19:47
[IC] A hasty retreat
Can you hold your own or will we have to babysit you two? Mando then rips off a bite of jerky  then mumbles while gesturing with the remainder in his handCan't guaranty they'll let you in either, it's a whole ordeal.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 199 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Sat 21 Mar 2020
at 01:51
[IC] A hasty retreat
----- Scene Break -----

After a brief rest and some food, and unwilling to risk being set upon by pursuers or other raiders, a much subdued group loads Kenemon's remains into the cart and turns towards the safety of Castellan's Keep.  Berlen remains largely silent, obviously traumatized and still terrified (and who could blame him), during the trip back.

The driving rain turns the road - little more than a rutted dirt track at the best of times - into a sodden morass of sucking mud.  The trip back takes several hours, with the cart becoming mired more than once, requiring more and more effort to free it each time.  By the time the party arrives, in late afternoon, everyone is exhausted, soaked to the bone, and splashed with half their own weight of mud - including the horse.

Re-entering the keep is much less difficult than yesterday's encounter - the kobolds are less of an unexpected surprise this time.  After recording Dorbis' and Berlen's identities, and a brief account of everyone's misadventures, you are directed to bring Berlen, and Kenemon's remains, to the Chapel1, to place both into the Friar's charge.  The guards seem more concerned with getting back out of the rain and next to a fire, than with either hassling you, or expressing much sympathy.

The streets are nearly empty, only a few people scurrying across the slippery cobblestones from cover to cover, trying (usually in vain) to keep at least somewhat dry.  The one saving grace of this downpour is that the gutters have been flushed clear, and most of the stink washed from the air.

The chapel is a stone building, built against the inner wall, with a sharply-sloped, peaked roof that reaches a height of over twenty feet.  The entrance is a set of heavy oaken double doors, carved to represent many of the various deities of the realm's Pantheon.  There is a bell, with a chain pull, mounted to the wall to the right of the doors, and the warm glow of candles shines through a pair of many-paned windows, one to either side.



1: location 17 on the map - or, in the perspective view, the building with the red-tiled roof by the inner gate.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:58, Sat 21 Mar 2020.

Mando
 Jesse, 71 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A lil' teapot of rage!"
Tue 24 Mar 2020
at 12:03
[IC] A hasty retreat
One of y'all gonna ring the bell or ya just gonna stand there and watch me jump for the damn chain all day?!
The Game Keeper
 GM, 200 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Tue 24 Mar 2020
at 17:11
[IC] A hasty retreat
OOC: I was asked about this, so:

There is a small roof - six or seven feet wide, perhaps four feet deep - centered over the door, peaked to shed water to either side and supported by two wooden corbel brackets.  This covers a low step that serves as an extended threshold for the doors.

Presently, rain is cascading in sheets off of both sides of this small roof ... and from a few leaks, which is why the exterior candle lantern is not lit: it's full to very the brim with rainwater.  The rusted nature of it's bracket, and the faint stain running down the wall below it, suggests this is not a new problem.


This message was last edited by the GM at 17:18, Tue 24 Mar 2020.

Mando
 Jesse, 72 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A lil' teapot of rage!"
Wed 25 Mar 2020
at 21:14
[IC] A hasty retreat
Mando gives up on reaching the bell chain and heartily bangs four times on the door.
Mando
 Jesse, 73 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A lil' teapot of rage!"
Wed 25 Mar 2020
at 23:05
[IC] A hasty retreat
:Knocks -- even -- harder:
ANYBODY IN THERE?! OUR DEAD FELLA HERE CAN WAIT BUT I'M FUCKIN' SOAKED TO THE BONE! SO C'MON!!!
Montana James
 Dustin, 54 posts
 Human
Thu 26 Mar 2020
at 16:21
[IC] A hasty retreat
Montana catches up to Mando and then rings the bell chain.
Friar Smol
 NPC, 1 post
 Human Male Priest
Fri 27 Mar 2020
at 00:09
[IC] A hasty retreat
You hear a muffled voice approaching the door, and a rattling as latches are opened, before the doors are pulled open, into the chapel.  Yes, yes, yes, what can I ... oh!  Before you stands a smiling human of awe-inspiring girth, dressed in plain - and somewhat worn - priest's robes and a stained and soiled smock.  Service isn't until Vespers, just at sunset, I'm afraid.  The chapel needs a good cleaning before then - <b>and I don't hear enough scrubbing!  The man turns to shout the last bit over his shoulder; behind him, you can just see two robed figures, one wielding a mop, and the other a large brush and cloth, busily cleaning.  Despite the large man's admonition, it does not appear either had truly been slacking off.

The man turns back to the party, again smiling kindly.
Mando
 Jesse, 74 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A lil' teapot of rage!"
Fri 27 Mar 2020
at 00:43
[IC] A hasty retreat
We ain't here fa no service big'on! We got other business! Mando says with a snarky tone.
Friar Smol
 NPC, 2 posts
 Human Male Priest
Sun 29 Mar 2020
at 02:21
[IC] A hasty retreat
And what might this business be, that is so urgent it cannot wait?
Mando
 Jesse, 75 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A lil' teapot of rage!"
Mon 30 Mar 2020
at 02:49
[IC] A hasty retreat
Can ya fix this?! Mando gestures to the bloody lump and the couple stragglers.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 202 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Wed 1 Apr 2020
at 02:28
[IC] A hasty retreat
Friar Smol steps out from under the cover of the small roof, lifting a corner of the blanket draped over Kenemon's remains.  OH!  Oh, a thousand pardons, I had no idea ... please, all of you, come inside out of this rain!  I'll have Ven and Falan tend to this fellow, and bring your horse and cart to the stables after.

The man bustles back through the doors - leaving them open wide for the group to follow, loudly calling to his acolytes to fetch Kenemon's remains down to the cellar.  The friar then disappears through a door at the back of the church, and you hear him stumping down a flight of wooden steps.  The two acolytes immediately head outside.  There must be another entrance to the cellars, as they do not return through the front door - closing it behind them, in fact, as they leave the chapel.

The interior of the chapel is simple - wide wooden planks for the floor, a double-row of wooden supports holding up the beams on which the weight of the roof rests.  The supports and beams are carved to represent trees and spreading branches, and various small statues, made of an assortment of stone, are placed about the branches - each one representing a different one of the many Gods and goddesses, great and small, of the Realm.  Sacred animals, holy symbols, iconic tools, and more can be found.

The western two-thirds of the chapel has an upper story, really just a loft, holding a single line of pews; two lines of pews fill most of the ground level.  The far eastern end has a raised floor, a single step above the rest of the chapel, on which is a broad, oval altar, presently unadorned save for a hastily discarded brush and a pail of soapy water.  To either side of the altar is a tall candlestick, one gilt in silver and the other in gold; they hold candles as tall as they are, the combined height being some six or so feet.

...

After a short while, the Friar and the older acolyte both return up the same stairs the Friar descended, the acolyte carrying a tray with several clay cups, a jug, and several cloth packets.  The acolyte busies himself by the fireplace set into the north wall.  Soon, the unmistakable smell of mulling cider fills the chapel, and the acolyte withdraws back down those stairs.

The Friar himself serves the cider out to each of you.  Please, friends, though it may pain you: tell me of your comrade, and how he came to his fate, that I may properly usher his spirit Beyond, he says.  And if I may aid in fulfilling any last wishes he may have had, do not hesitate to tell me of them.



OOC: people being dead, or "mostly dead", and recovering is not something anyone IC is going to expect.  Y'all are special in that way: Heroes don't die easily, but they come reeeaaally close LOTS of times.  As far as teh Friar is concerned, dead people stay decently dead, and the services you need from him are more along the lines of undertaker than miracle-worker.

Also, Ken absolutely is dead-dead.  It really is time to go through his pockets for loose change, right?  So him coming back this time is going to be a bit more miraculous than otherwise might be the case.

Mando
 Jesse, 76 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A lil' teapot of rage!"
Wed 1 Apr 2020
at 15:38
[IC] A hasty retreat
Mando takes the cider, looks at it, sniffs it, then eyeballs the friar before setting it on a nearby pew "to cool".

10:35, Today: Mando rolled 6 using 1d20-1 with rolls of 7. Insight Check.
The Game Keeper
 GM, 203 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Wed 1 Apr 2020
at 15:42
[IC] A hasty retreat
OOC: the DC is 2 ... as you see him drinking the cider himself.  :D
Mando
 Jesse, 77 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A lil' teapot of rage!"
Fri 3 Apr 2020
at 04:42
[IC] A hasty retreat
thought you friars made beer or ale?! got anything stronger? We've been through some shit!
The Game Keeper
 GM, 204 posts
 Keeper of Games
 Borderline Insane
Tue 7 Apr 2020
at 01:44
[IC] A hasty retreat
At an Abbey or Monastery perhaps, but with only the three of us, and no fields in which to grow hops, barley, or grape vines, we lack the wherewithal, the man explains apologetically.  <seagreen>But, to the matter at hand: my acolytes will tend to yoru companions remains, and on the morrow we can hold a service for him.  There is space for him in the crypts, or the graveyard north of the keep.  Neither, I am afraid, is entirely without cost ...</green>  Here, Friar Smol raises one eyebrow and glances among the group.
Mando
 Jesse, 78 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A lil' teapot of rage!"
Fri 10 Apr 2020
at 14:39
[IC] A hasty retreat
Well if this's all ya got... Mando then slams back the cider then wipes his lips with his forearm.
So how much you tallkin' Friar?! We're still students after all... He says with a mocking "puppy dog" face
Shabaka Ramose
 Squire, 9 posts
 Half-Dragon youth
 Squire to Kenemon
Fri 10 Apr 2020
at 23:15
[IC] A hasty retreat
Shabaka walks to the front of the shrine. His body wracks and aches with grief. We failed. We failed our GodKing and you Great Dragons. He looks up at the shrine of whatever pale skin god lay before him and looks past it. Staring through the roof to the heavens. What now? Return? Empty handed, as meager and as worthless as these two kobolds. Just give me a sign tell me what to do or grant me power to reach out and seek vengeance against those that wronged Kenemon. Let me send that ogre to the 9 hells! HELP ME! Tell me what to do or the power to do it, Just don't let me stand here with his empty body.

Kenemon hearing know verbal immediate answer to his grief stricken pleads....prayers, stands up, ensures his face holds a solid composure and turns around.

"Let's go. I will return in the morning and prepare the body in that of the customs of my people. Then we will leave." 

Montana James
 Dustin, 55 posts
 Human
Mon 13 Apr 2020
at 18:53
[IC] A hasty retreat
Montana will take a cider as well. Well this has been an adventure in what not to do. what do yall want to do now once we get Ken taken care of? regroup and plan a new approach now that we ha e a better idea of what we are getting into?
Mando
 Jesse, 79 posts
 Halfling (stout)
 "A lil' teapot of rage!"
Wed 15 Apr 2020
at 21:46
[IC] A hasty retreat
Mando Belches loudly. As he turns and begins to walk toward the door he flippantly says Yeah sounds good. Listen I'ma go see what I can get into over at the tavern. I'm hungry for somethin'... warm and a bath. I stink like a fuckin' wet goblin. Come find me when ya'll wanna regroup. When he arrives at the door and stretches for the handle he turns back and sternly says If I'm busy just knock and leave me be! and leaves with a very solid shutting of the door.